Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Ford Taurus

Comments

• c2c35c2c35 Member Posts: 37
    I think all that car and driver's got is good pic's!!! They test all the other top of the line models except for the taurus SHO! DUH!!! :confuse: You know I actually saw one of those La crosse's sitting right next to both a fusion and a taurus at the dealership I bought my taurus and, i actually thought that buick was gonna try to take on the fusion this year! the lacrosse is more the size of the fusion than the taurus! I really don't know where the info is coming from that the new 2010 taurus is a "led sled" Mine corners on railes and with the paddle shifters and even with just leaving it in auto it boogies like crazy! I get nothing but compliments from people with bmw's ect askin bout it. When i went to buy my new car I actually went to get a fusion sport awd v-6, until i saw my taurus and drove her first and it was all over! All I have to tell all of ya's out there that are sceptics about the 2010 taurus you have to drive one for your self!!!! Don't listen to some one else complain about it. I betcha youll fall in love with it!!! :)
    I just read in a motor trend ( i believe mag) well any way it was saying that the 2012 taurus should come out with the 4 cyl turbo! I guess the days of the v 8's are goin bye bye! Too bad Dodge! Speaking of Dodge, it looks like Dodge is going to loose out on the police package cop cars here soon! Did anyone see the Concept police intercepter taurus? (ITS BAD)
    Ya know your absolutely right!!! I definitely can't argue with that at all! Expecially someone who goes out to by a stripped SE or no badge, compared to a loaded SEL or LTD to SHO. The rim size come down to what kind of driving you want to do. If you like the overall car but not the rim package due to the stiffer ride your salesman should be able to do something about that for you. You can also ask the dealership to put a touring tire on the rim to get a better ride quality instead of a all weather high speed rated tire. It's worth a shot.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Test drove and SEL and an SHO. Vast improvement over the last Taurus. This car has features found on cars costing thousands more. The SHO was a blast to drive. This car handled like it was on rails. Out of the gate acceleration was strong and consistent. Quiet, comfortable. Taurus will be a winner for Ford.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    It's already a winner, at least in my book. My SHO has 12000 miles and has been flawless.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I read the article a while back and the Taurus tested was an AWD model, while others were FWD.
    I am sure that accounted for some of the relative slowness and higher fuel consumption. No adverse weather conditions tested.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Of course that accounts for the difference.

What I don't understand is that a car as wide as the Taurus doesn't offer at least 60" of shoulder room, nor why the Lacrosse and Avalon can offer more rear seat leg room, even though they are shorter cars. The Taurus, thankfully, has gone from a bloated-looking, non-descript design to something that is actually attractive. But why does a car that is still taller than most others in its class, and still longer (save the Buick Lucerne by 10ths of an inch), come out with less rear legroom and interior width than several nothing-special full-size cars that are physically smaller?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1008_35000_full_size_sedans/index.ht- ml

I think with the Taurus's current presence and bulk that it should be practically the roomiest car on the road. It's trunk space is undeniably huge. But most of us don't ride in the trunk.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Leg room is not everything in determining back seat comfort. Even though the Lacrosse has a little more, its seat is not as well made or shaped. Go sit in them both and then make some comments. I have. The Taurus is more comfortable in the back. And the puny trunk of the Lacrosse does matter when taking a trip.
    I agree, but I usually don't sit in the back seat. My Fusion seems to have a roomier rear seat area.
  • It is the interior width that seems most odd to me. The Taurus is very wide, but doesn't seem to offer any more side to side space than cars the Fusion.

The legroom overall in the Taurus is a mere 0.6 inch more than in the Fusion (even though the Fusion is several inches shorter in wheelbase and also shorter in height), The Taurus only offers 0.5 inch more shoulder room than the Fusion. I am not saying the Taurus rear seat is not comfortable. I am saying that the car could have offered even more interior room--more commensurate with its bulk--if the interior had been better designed to offer more space.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I think they just let the stylists have their way with the vehicle to make a bold visual statement (as much as possible with a 4 door family sedan) without much time to figure out a compromise to offer style and interior room/functionality. If you remember they did a whole new tophat and interior in just 24 months, start to finish. I just don't think they had time.

Although if the reports are true that the Fusion/Mondeo and Taurus will use a shared CD4 platform (stretched for the Taurus much like the Avalon) then maybe it won't ever be that much bigger.
    edited September 2010
    One thing that can't be easily measured is how much of a tank the the Taurus is.
    A guy at work had a 500 which took a huge broadside hit. His family walked away and he immediately bought another one.
    Years ago, we had a big accident with our Expedition. Not only were we well protected, despite having the left front suspension knocked off, there was no damage to the drive train. Since it none of it extended below the frame, it suffered no damage.
    BTW, after stopping to figure out what just happened, I drove it a ways down the road without a left front wheel to an overpass so my family wouldn't get wet when they got out of it.
    My point is, sometimes safety takes precedence over some statistic.
    i dont know about the fusion being almost comparable to the taurus. Before i bought my taurus sel i took out a fusion awd sport w the leather. it just felt like a small car all the way around. dont get me wrong it deffinitely had more snot than any other car in it's class!! but as soon as i sat in the taurus's "cockpit" It just fit perfect! I used to have an 05 500 ltd awd and i do know what yur sayn about the back seat roomyness. Just last week my SEL went into the shop and they gave me a fusion se as a loaner. All i have to say is THANK GOD I BOUGHT MY TAURUS!!! LOL!! No one was comfortable in the fusion. Oh well! I still think that Ford hit a home run with the Taurus! Except i don't think that if you buy a SE taurus or a stripped Taurus there should be a less powerfull motor package just like the fusion. So the one's like us who spent the money for the LTD's and SEL's can defintely stand out.
  • Yes, Allen, I suspect that is what happened. Plus, the architecture that underlies the Taurus/MKS/Flex just seems to have been designed a bit narrow inside overall, as compared to exterior width.

The F150 is only 2.5" wider than the Taurus, but offers nearly 8 more inches of interior width. And it is not because the F150 has flimsy doors. I believe the 1990-97 Town Car offered about 64" shoulder room, and that had thick doors too. Anyway, Taurus is a roomy car, but could easily be roomier. One of those things they can work on for the next iteration.
    I believe this may be why Ford is considering ditching D3 for cars and going with a stretched (and maybe widened) CD4 platform. That's what they did to the Mazda platform to get the CD3 platform so it shouldn't be that hard and should produce a better product with lower overall costs. D3/D4 should still work fine for CUVs and SUVs.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    I agree with what you say. The Fusion is a very good car, but it feels like a step down when cruising on the freeway. The Taurus is much more solid feeling and quieter. The previous Taurus was very roomy, but everyone knocked its bland styling. Well, the styling was fixed and, yes, some room was lost. In town, i would rather drive the smaller Fusion, but the Taurus is better looking inside and out and is very comfortable. So, folks, SET YOUR PRIORITIES, test drive, and choose..
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    The major issue I had when sitting in the new Taurus was the "center console" which extended from the dash to seatback plane and was wide as well. My right leg wished it wasn't there. It is so big and awkward that it reminded me of a bad construction job where they "boxed in" plumbing or air ducts. The other aspects of the car were coherent but the center console looked like someone had jammed an undersized black coffin between the front seats. It was obtrusive and, for the most part, full of empty space.
  • paul06paul06 Member Posts: 2
    We live up in the frozen north, and my daughter took her new 2010 Taurus to the dealer for a change of oil to synthetic blend. They told her that the car shipped with the blend already in it. How likely is this? They were adamant.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I am under the impression that a good number of automakers now fill their new cars with synthetic oil from Day 1...cannot speak for the Taurus per se, but the concept of the manufacturer using synthetic in the new car is not out of the ordinary...

Consider going to a Ford dealer and looking thru a Taurus brochure...I would bet somewhere in it they will state what is in it, since it would be an advertising point to say "Can now go over 5000 miles between oil changes" or something like that...
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    My 2008 Sable (Taurus twin) came with the synthetic blend. The Ford/Mercury dealers use synthetic blend for changes. They set the oil life monitor for 5000 miles/six months.
  • paul06paul06 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses. Her owner's manual says 7500 miles between changes, but 5000 for special driving conditions (our winters qualify). So I guess it's possible.
    Ford has been using a synthetic blend 5W-20 in most vehicles for a long time now.
    actually the 5W20 is 'semi-synthetic', but it's still the right oil to use.
    Actually there is no such thing as "semi-synthetic". Oil is either synthetic or natural. In this case it's a combination of both, thus it's a "synthetic blend".
    Bill Clinton must have been your mentor. IT'S THE SAME THING.
    Well if it's the SAME THING then why did you feel the need to correct me when I said it was a synthetic blend?
    After checking the Motorcraft website, I was wrong. There is synthetic blend oil and full synthetic oil.
  • weathernutweathernut Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I each own 2010 Taurus Limiteds. On hot days everytime we put the right front window down we get a loud squeal and it leaves a greasy looking mark.Is anyone else having this problem?
  • txbricklayertxbricklayer Member Posts: 16
    My SEL is 6 months old with about 4,000 miles. No squeals. And no other issues.
  • quilterquilter Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to replace my 2005 Avalon, and have started looking at the Taurus again, after owning several of them in the "past century". I am pleased with the Avalon, but not with all of the recent recalls, which is likely to cause a reduction in resale value. In reviewing various websites, which purport to provide unbiased opinions and comparisons, it is obvious to me that most of them give less credence to ANY Ford product, deferring to "Government Motors" (GM) or the other bailed out company (Chrysler), as "better" choices. They are also a bit less enamored with the Japanese companies like Honda and Toyota.

I like reading real reviews from people who have had these other cars, and have now switched back to the Taurus. I know that nobody wants to admit they made a bad choice when buying anything as expensive as a car, so there is some self-protection, but I am a firm believer in comments from people who have done the appropriate research and have changed car companies. No car has all of the specs and perks you want, given a reasonable price.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I've had my 2011 Taurus Limited FWD for only a couple of months but have no complaints at all. After 30+ years of vehicle buying I've never had and never will have a [non-permissible content removed] Trap. Sorry for the bias but I'm also done buying anything GM or Chrysler until they pay back all the money they owe the taxpayers.
  • txbricklayertxbricklayer Member Posts: 16
    Bought my SEL in April with the $3,000 'package' plus leather.
    Have about 5,000 miles on it including a round trip from Houston to Chicago.
    This is the first new car I have bought that has had NOTHING to 'fix'. I'm 78 and bought many new cars including Honda. (Yes, the Honda needed fixes)
    Well i'm happy to hear that you might be another converter!!! lol! So far since I've had my Taurus so many people who have wanted to buy Lexus's, Toyota's, Nissan's ect have come over and checked out my car and totally changed their minds! Heck even a guy that just bought a VW touareg or however you spell it! lol came right over to my car and told me he wished he saw the Taurus before he bought the VW!! Mine is the red candy SEL w the option 2 package fully loaded. 19" wheel's the works!! hint for ya though if your looking for a more comfortable ride don't get the 19" wheel's stay with the standard 18" wheels for a smoother ride, but if you want great handling get the bigger rims. i do think the LTD model comes with a more touring type of tire though.
    just wondering if anyone has a line on any kind of performance parts for the 2010 Taurus yet. I no its still early but so far all I've found is a k&n air filter! oh yeah and really expensive Ford accessories!! lol Oh yeah I have read that the red line on the Taurus is 6700 rpms ( there's nowhere for me to try!) does anyone know how fast the Taurus's actually go? I know the speedo goes up to 140 but I am figuring it's more for decoration unless someone tells me different!!

BTW I own a loaded SEL i guess if i had the SHO i wouldn't care!! lol!!! :shades:
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    NO doubt about it. The products from Ford are now definitely better than most of the imports including the much vaunted brands like Toyota which is now a shadow of its former quality and reliability. But perceptions are slow to fade so people still lay out coin for their inferior products.

As for GM and Chrysler, they are also building excellent vehicles. The new Chevy Cruze and Jeep Grand Cherokee are world class. It seems kind of counterproductive, however, not to buy their vehicles if you want them to pay back their "government" funds more quickly.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The new Chevy Cruze and Jeep Grand Cherokee are world class

Lack of torque down-low in the new 3.6L combined with a lackluster (by today's standards) 5-speed automatic makes the Grand Cherokee nothing but reasonably competitive. The JGC is vastly improved; so is everything else these days.
    Have you driven either the 3.6 or the 5.7? I have driven both.

If you want more torque, go for the 5.7. And there is exactly nothing wrong with the 5-speed. It is tried and true and also quite reliable. There are exactly zero other vehicles with the new Jeep's combination of refinement, proven drive train, creature comforts, off-road ability and value. According to Car and Driver the vehicle is as quiet as a Rolls-Royce Ghost at highway speeds. There is no wind noise and precious little road noise. The 5.7's sounds are not intrusive and frankly quite delightful, the HEMI being one of Ward's 10 Best Engines on numerous occasions out of the last ten years or so.

I stand by my assessment that it is indeed world class.
    this thread is about the Taurus, but since you brought the JGC into it, Chrysler 3.6 is new tech, so it still needs to be validated over the long run. 5 speed/hemi is powerful, proven and good for 12 mpg.
    On the highway it's EPA is 19, same as the Ford 4.6L SOHC 24V V8 in the Explorer.

I dare say to most folks having need of or use for this type of vehicle, whether it be Jeep or Ford, mileage is not the primary concern anyway. The point is that it is a very high quality vehicle, like the Taurus and many other recent-model Ford products.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Using figures from the old Explorer is as valid as arguing about the old JGC. Both are new, and the Ford blows away the Jeep in economy.

Anyhow, back to the Taurus. No changes for 2011, I presume?
    Not to belabor the point but as a clarification, the new Explorer has a V6, not a V8, and the HP and torque are 290 horsepower and 255 lb-ft. of torque, respectively. Not in the same league power-wise with the JGC HEMI.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I believe the only difference is a couple of exterior color changes.
    Which do you think will sell better - more power or better fuel economy?
    I thought I read the SHO was going to get a power bump, but building an '11, it does not look like it.
    At least you admit the JGC is a gas hog, which was conveniently omitted in earlier posts.
    JGC has 2 rows of seating, same as Taurus, but Explorer has 3.
    It will but not right away. It might have to wait for the new platform.
    edited October 2010
    FYI not everyone is obsessed with a minuscule increase in mileage. There are those who prefer the performance of a V8 to a 6, let alone a 4, the present hysteria with "fuel economy" notwithstanding.

And not everyone is obsessed with having "three rows" of seats. Quite frankly, I would not buy a vehicle that wasted trunk space by adding a third row of seats which 1) I don't need and 2) would be, as a consequence of their tiny, cramped size, only barely functional for anyone but a midget anyway.
    It depends upon the buyer. There are those who go for fuel economy and there are those who prefer performance.
  • Exactly. And still others who love the Ecoboost idea of increasing both.
    I don't really see why a JGC is being compared to an Taurus, other than they each can seat 5.
    An Explorer can fit 7 in the same area used by a JGC.
    If yo want bad mileage and an inefficient design, pick the JGC over the Explorer or the Taurus.