Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport Maintenance and Repair

52805280 Member Posts: 3
After searching the forum I was unable to find an answer to my question.

I own a 2003 Montero Sport Limited which I bought used a little over a year ago. The dealer provided only one transponder key at the time I purchased the vehicle. Later I discovered my truck had been a repo, hence only the one key. This is the first vehicle I ever bought which had a transponder key, and I though "I will just go to the hardware store and get a couple of more made," otherwise I would have negotiated a little better to obtain an additional transponder key and keyless remote. Live and learn! :(

The dealership wants $100 per transponder key and $150 per keyless remotes (this of course includes "programming"). Any suggestions on alternatives to paying these outrageous dealer prices? :mad:

I did get a key cut at the hardware store which gets me into the door if I lock my keys in however, as you know, the ignition will not start without the transponder chip attached.

My email address is johnxhewel (at) yahoo (dot) com for anyone who might have a better idea than paying dealership prices. :)

Thanks for your time and any help possible! :shades:
John

Comments

• scottwarnerscottwarner Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where to get reasonably priced larger disc brake kits for the montero sport. we all know that they are 'underbraked', heavy vehicles. I went to Precision Brakes, nice people but want almost 10K for a kit. any suggestions out there? Scott
  • skidaveskidave Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport that has a
    "troubled" Service Engine Soon light. Have taken it to the dealer on numerous occasions and they are telling me there is nothing wrong yet the light continues to come on. All I really need is someone to tell me how to turn it off when it comes on? Thanks in advance for your help.

Skidave
  • quinny24quinny24 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, you have a couple options to turn it off but it will come back on again after several starts.
    1)disconnect the battery cable for 30 seconds, keep in mind you will need code in order to play your radio again if you do this. Its an anti-theft feature
    2)go to autozone and they will reset the error code for you for free.
  • trsandytrsandy Member Posts: 1
    I am replacing the rear brake shoes on my 2001 Montero Sport (2WD). The drum(s) will not fit back on the units due to the wider girth of the shoes. I have loosened the parking brake at the console: adjusted the brake adjusting wheel: I still am not having any success. I have depressed the calipers, but they tend to ride back out, even after opening the hydraulic valve on the right rear wheel. I am reluctant to use brute force. Is there a secret that I am unaware of to successful reinstall. I hope so...

Bewilderd.
  • shannyzshannyz Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I have a 99 Montero Sport that just turned over 90K miles. My "Service Engine Soon" light came on about a month ago, at which point I took it to Autozone for the free check. They told me that it had a mis-fire on #4, so I took it in to get an ignition tune-up (new plugs, wires, dist. cap)...the light still stayed on!

How many drive-cycles does it normally take for this to shut-off?

Do any of you have any other ideas as to why the light is staying on??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Shannon :confuse:
  • skidaveskidave Member Posts: 3
    Shannon - As the post above says, try removing the negative
    cable on your battery for 5 minutes. It worked for me and I haven't had a problem since. The Montero Sport is famous for dash lights going nuts. Also, make sure you check and change the fluids in your transmission. That is critical with the Montero Sport.
    Hope that helps.
    Dave
  • n87n87 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am new to this forum. Recently purchased
    MS 2001 LS with 73k on it, V6 3.0L. Trying to find out if it's an iterference or non-interference engine. Interference engine would be trashed when timing belt breaks.
    Any help is apprecciated.
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    It is a interference engine. I replaced mine at 90,000 on my 2000 M/S 3.5 litre v-6. Was pretty worn down the middle. Suppose to do at 60,000 for both motors, but took the chance and did it 90,000 instead.
    Thank you! Dealer told me it was due at 90k on 3.0l. I will check out what the manual says.
    California, Conneticut, and Maine vehicles, the timing belt replacement recommendation is 100,000. All others on the 3.0 L. engine is 60,000. This is the same for the 2.4 L and 3.5 L engines Mitsu makes.
    Apparently, they put a tougher belt in the low emission states. If you can believe that. If that is the case, then why not replace the one you have with the CA spec one.
    How can you tell if yours is Cali or Connecticut etc?
    VIN number. A Dealership could tell you if give them the VIN number.
  • sexyvysexyvy Member Posts: 5
    on 5/18 i took my truck in for a bsic tune up and nearly passed out when the guy told me 902.54 and that i may need a new timing belt an additional 500.00 he said that i have one of the most expensive cars to maintain. so this is after ive had the transmission replaced... so now im going for a 2nd opinion for the timming belt but is this normal ?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what the manufacturer recommends for your mileage, and will estimate what it should cost in your zip code.
  • atf0743atf0743 Member Posts: 1
    Hello ... my 2001 Montero Sport has the 4x4 indictaor light flashing all of a sudden. Their is a loud whining noise which is followed by a pop. The anti lock brake light also appears now, not sure if its related.

Went to the dealer and they changed the "Freewheel Clutch Solenoid valve" part # MR263723 and took care of the problem. No more 4x4 indictaor light flashing and no more anti lock brake light. Bingo..........
  • timo5timo5 Member Posts: 4
    My friend has a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD with 104xxx miles and recently, it started having issues. The car feels like it downshifts and upshifts when she is doing around 30-35 or slowly accelerating. I drove it last weekend and it would actually lurch as it downshifted and upshifted. She said she took it to three different shops and there weren't any error codes. One of the shops changed her transmission filter and fluid but it still has the problem. Any ideas?
  • bucksysbucksys Member Posts: 2
    I have 2001 Montero and I had the same problem, dealer stated that it was computer problem and they all had it. I am just waiting for a recall notice to come out. Won't happen until after I sell thios one with my luck
    Thanks Bucksys. I was thinking it was a computer issue but wanted some confirmation. I just can't ubnderstand why the other mechanics couldn't figure this out.
    Thanks again.
  • john215john215 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Montero Sport XLS. After driving on highway for extended time and pull into toll booth the truck does not accelerate after depressing accelerator. There is a hesitation and then the truck lunges forward like you are doing a "neutral drop" or popping your clutch in a manual transmission car. It only does this after driving for an hour or so on the highway. Does not do this around town. Mechanic has checked transmission and says it is fine. The fluids and filter have been changed. They did not use Mitsubishi fluid but the mechanic did not feel this was a problem. He said the sensitivity to using Mitsubishi brand fluid would show up in some jerkiness when the torque converter is engaging. This is not evident in the vehicle. Everything we are experiencing it at acceleration only after extended highway driving. Mechanic thought it might be a mass air flow sensor that is starting to fail??
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • csfstrykercsfstryker Member Posts: 3
    Wow!!! I am having the same issue/problem with my 2000. How much did the dealer charge? What state are you in? And Thanks for your post.
  • h20fiendh20fiend Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montero Sport that is doing the same thing. How much did it cost to replace the solenoid valve?
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    How did you solve this problem? More importantly, how did you get the drum open in the first place to get to the brake pads? I went to change the rear pads yesterday for the first time (I bought the Sport used) and was surprised to see that kind of assembly on disc brakes.

Thanks,

John
  • frankiejfrankiej Member Posts: 2
    Seems to be similar problem re: 4X4 light flashing, 4X4 not engaging after changing cables, spark plug wires. Tried to track down "PT # MR263723" 'Freewheel Clutch Solenoid Valve' thru Kragen, no luck. Also checked Mitsubishi website. Can someone confirm part #/description and elaborate on what this part does and why it would fail? Possibly related to work on ignition system? Oh, and where to find it? Appreciated. Thanx, Frankie J
  • csfstrykercsfstryker Member Posts: 3
    I called my local dealer here in Atlanta and he told me that he would change that part for $310. I plan to have it done later this month on my 2000 Montero Sport Limited. We will see what happens. I gave him the part number and he looked it right up and quoted the price to change it. Hope this helps.
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    How do you get the drum open on the rear wheel hubs to to get to the rear brake pads on a 2001 Montero Sport? I went to change the rear pads yesterday for the first time (I bought the vehicle used) and was surprised to see that kind of assembly on disc brakes. I see there is some type of plate on the front, but even with pentrating oil and a couple of taps from a mallet, it didn't want to come loose (I'm reluctant to hit it too hard lest I break something). As an aside, what's the purpose/advantage of that kind of design?

Thanks!
  • frankiejfrankiej Member Posts: 2
    I hate to seem, uh, dense but...I searched the name 'Freewheel clutch solenoid valve', the Mitsubishi dealer and part sites and the part # (MR263723) and still can't find anything. So...to the person in Atlanta that had the part installed (or anyone else that can answer): If you have the box that the part came in, would you mind listing the manufacturer of the part as well as any part number and/or manufacturer link that is on the box? Much appreciated, Frankie J
  • jjvoskuiljjvoskuil Member Posts: 1
    I am changing the timing belt on my Montero Sport and rotated the crackshaft counterclockwise several times before I read the manual which cautioned against doing this. Anyone know what damage this could cause and any tips on correcting before I finish installation??? HELP!!!!
  • grocery321grocery321 Member Posts: 2
    Mine was replaced at 84,000 miles with the same shutter.. The computer was not the problem.
  • tailwalkin79tailwalkin79 Member Posts: 2
    Well How did you get the drum on there? I have mine sitting up to the jack right now and can't get it on!
  • fredy1fredy1 Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem and replaced alternator,sparkplugs and wires , belts and so so . at the end the problem was the the clogged fuel injector throotle . 2 cans of carburetor cleaner will do it. try this and you will thank me . and the transmision will work properly.
    That isn't as bad as I thought it would. Thanks for the info. She is out of town this week so I will give it a shot next week. I really appreciate this!

Tim
  • silverinramsilverinram Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 montero sport 4x4 xls 3.0 liter v-6 about a week ago it started not wanting to idle the alarm was activated and im not sure how but i kept the drivers door open and unhooked the neg battery cable for 1 minute and then hooked it back up to deactivate the alarm and then cranked the car but after that it woundnt idle when you first crank up the car it runs fine but after u drive it for a few seconds it wont idle anymore ive tried cleaning the throttle body out for deposites but that didnt help any help on this matter would be greatly appericated

Thanks

Bud Mckay
    (silverinram)
  • autotech2autotech2 Member Posts: 1
    HI I have been a professional auto tech for over 20 years and i have access to a lot of info including factory tsbs and i had no luck with this problem and this forum solved the 4x4 light flashing on my custermers car and he is very happy
    Thanks and best regards to all
  • chris891chris891 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I notice you have no replies yet, so you probably have resolved your issue. I am in the middle of changing timing belt myself and also did the same thing. I have not taken off the timing belt cover yet, will finish it today. What did you find was the result. I am also concerned. Did you find any problems and if so how did you resolve them. My research has found only one possible issue so far: The timing belt may bind because of reverse tension and therefore can skip a tooth on the belt. Hopefully this would not be enough of a change to bend a valve on the next revolution, and the solution is to simply reset the camshafts to their index marks after the timing belt has been removed and the crankshaft is set to TDC?
  • chaikachaika Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know how to remove the rear wiper assembly so I can take off the plastic lens below (the one with the mitsubishi logo and the lock for the rear hatch on it). I need a new lens and to replace the wiper arm as it is bent.
  • blavertueblavertue Member Posts: 1
    My husband changed my plugs, wires, and gaskets last night on my truck because I had oil in my plugs. Wow what a mess.. When he finished he started it up and now it will run if you keep on the gas but it stalls as soon as you put it in idle. As it stalls, it lets out this mild sound like wheeew ( air compression or something) ..Please someone help.. I really love my truck ... It has 168,000 miles on it and is Very reliable... until now... Thanks so much... ">
  • boxerman1011boxerman1011 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 montero sport close to the same as yours but the same problem started for me earlier i think, but i took mine to a private mechanic and he just gave it a routine tune up and changed my brakes, sparkplugs and everything and i haven't had a problem since, except for the fact where he unhooked my cruise, which i'm fine without
  • dealingbob1dealingbob1 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone know of a repair manual for the 2000 Montero
    sport LS 4WD. I have searched Amazon, Ebay, etc?
    Thanks
  • syrussyrus Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Montero sport and the only manual I was able to find was the dealer service manual which costs about 200.
  • dealingbob1dealingbob1 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info.
  • mhershbergermhershberger Member Posts: 1
    I had a very similar problem with my 2002 Montero Sport immediately after I replaced the battery. It would start, idled very rough and sporadically. As soon as I would put it into a gear it would want to stall unless i feathered the gas and brake. This continued as I test drove it around my neighborhood. I read many many forums and found one lone post mentioning that they had the same issue related to a dirty Oxygen sensor and when they pulled the battery or terminal that the computer lost any calibration it had learned in order to provide a smooth idle with the dirty sensor. What they said fixed their issue was to again pull a battery terminal to reset the computer then reconnect and run at idle for 20 minutes. Sure enough I did this and my idle issues disappeared. It didn't immediately return to how smoothly it ran before changing the battery but after driving for a week it seemed to be back to normal at that point.
  • antony62antony62 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I have a Montero Mitsubishi Sport 1995. Does somebody know how can get the lights of the brakes off. (I bought it used), Also my neighbor helped me to fix the start engine and it caused that the radio stopped working. I have the series number, what is the next step. The dealer's price for making the radio works is $150.00 and for the economy's fault I can not pay that amount. Thank you in advance for any advice.
  • timmingtimming Member Posts: 1
    changed oil pump all back together now its time for the belt when I took it off I herd a couple clicks from the cams don't know if they moved what do I need to do to make sure that it is all good before I put it all together don't wan't to have to tear it down again because I made a dumb "A" move HELP
  • freemonkeyfreemonkey Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a used vehicle since mine is dead!! Found a maroon Montero Sport for $3800 and is a 2000 model. Read some of the blogs and other info on here about this SUV and wondering overall what are the things I need to look at and for when I go back and look at it tomorrow. Oh yea, it has 170,000 miles already, a Honda dealer, that i stopped at yesterday said that most people drive around 18,500 miles a year, give or take some, instead of the 12,500 miles a year that i read in the Kelly Blue Book and NADA book. Is this true, and how do I check the timing belt or chain cause i think that is what is wrong with mine. (A 95 Honda Accord LX but can't get anyone to look at it without it costing out the wazzuuu.) I don't know anyone that has owned a Montero and are the parts expensive for them and the labor. Am single and don't have alot of money alot of the time to put into a vehicle. Am dilligent on the oil, antifreeze and other fluid changing. THAT is a must to keep any vehicle running smoothly and maintenance free.
  • smitty34smitty34 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a 1999 montero sport with about 120k on it.
    After about 3 months the neutral light started flashing. The transmission would also start to shudder and not shift right. I took it to a dealer (recalls?) and they flushed the tranny and said that if that didn't take care of the problem that I needed a new torque converter. My mechanic got a trouble code of P0710. Is there anything else I can do besides putting in a $1500.00 torque converter?
  • rball1rball1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have had the same problem. I took it to a reputable shop and they indicated that my speed sensors needed to be replaced. I'm not sure if this will resolve the issue. They said that there were no internal tranny issues. Did your neutral light ever stop blinking? Mine stopped along with the engine light.
  • smitty34smitty34 Member Posts: 2
    Hi rball1,
    The tranny was giving my wife fits so I had our mech. replace the torque converter.
    He found a place in Indy that rebuilds them and it ran $700.00 installed. It seems to have fixed the problem except for the check engine light. In re the speed sensors...what are they and where are they?
    Thanks!
  • KPL949KPL949 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montero Sport with 177K miles. Tranny was doing OK until it fell into fail safe mode.

Basically, the computer does this, puts it in 3rd gear, so you can't damage the tranny, even if its not a tranny issue. Worked fine first thing in the morning then went into fail safe, third gear mode.

Tranny guy wanted to do diagnostic testing and "let me know." I took it to my local mechanic who said there were 8-9 diagnostic tests which should be done before getting to the last one: OPEN TRANNY AND REPAIR IT!

He just called me.....It was a simple speed sensor.....$275 installed.
  • tmcalistertmcalister Member Posts: 4
    I wanted to reply to this forum because it helped me fix this exact same problem. Hopefully, I can help someone out there save some $ with this same issue. I had the same flashing transmission light on my 2000 Mont Sport XLS 4x4. It happened after the same horrible pop with the grinding sound. Either the transfer case or front differential got in a bind. Anyway, light flashing for months. I had front diff and xfer case oil changed, but it did not fix the problem. So, found this blog, went and ordered the part "Freewheel Clutch Solenoid valve" part # MR263723 from my local Mits dealer. It was $85 with shipping. I put the part in myself. I AM NOT A MECHANIC, but I'm a little handy, i.e. do oil changes, spark plugs, etc. It took me less than an hour to replace the part, and bingo, fixed. I started the car, and the light went off instantly. So.....call your Mits dealer, order the part yourself if you're having this problem. Do not let your dealership or a mechanic charge you more than one hour's worth of work to put this in for you. ($75 to $100). Hope this helps.
  • mrsstokesmrsstokes Member Posts: 1
    my check engine light is on, my car needs a tune up badly. It is losing speed also. I took to a mechanic he said almost 1000 for the tune up and i was wandering is their an easier way to do this without paying so much. I know that you have to remove the manafold for is their another way. If so some one please let me know.
    thanks. Mrsstokes