Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave No Start Problems

jtestrinjtestrin Member Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Buick
I have now taken my 2009 Enclave into the Buick dealership twice for the car not starting after 5-7 days of inactivity. I was told by the dealership that the car has too many electronics that drain the battery if the engine is not run for at least 5 minutes every two days. How can a car like this ever be left at an airport? Others?

Comments

• wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR...does not have Nav but does have ON-STAR, etc. I kept my 2000 Trooper and drive it quite a bit to keep the miles down on the Outlook. I have gone 7-10 days without starting the Outlook several times with NO battery problems. I'm pretty sure during those times without starting I have even opened the rear power liftgate a couple of time to access things back there... Outlook and Enclave should have similary electronics, so IMHO that 2 day explanation is BS.

Bill
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    You need a new dealership whose service department will actually provide service. There is a TSB that corrects a battery drain issue on Encalves that have NAV where the power isn't shut down to the radio. Find a new dealership to have your problem corrected properly.

This amounts to your basic software update.

Sometimes people get these kinds of answers when their dealership is afraid to say - "We don't know why you are having this problem." Or they have had harsh treatment in the past when they have said as much.

Have no fear, this is a fixable problem. It is more frustrating however when you are dealing with an ignorant service department.
  • myrtlemanmyrtleman Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2010 CXL1 (No Nav-DVD) so there is no software update. Mine did the same thing and dealer told me the same thing. Nothing wrong, normal for the battery to go dead after about a week of being parked. They also got my carpet and second row captains chair filthy while checking the system. These people on these forums that think taking it back to dealerships over and over till it's fixed live in a fantasy land. Most dealershp service Depts suck and when you explain what the car does and some of the ideas you get from these forums, you get the "deer in the headlights look" then they start talking down to you even though they cannot fix crap! Here's what I do and I have not had a dead battery since. First, every time you leave the car LOCK THE DOORS RIGHT AWAY WITH THE REMOTE KEY CHAIN. Do not wait for the interior light to dim. 2nd, Before you shut the engine off let it idle in park for about a minute, especially if you've been in reverse. This assure that the reverse camera and back up sensors have completely shut down. I learned these things from actual people who have figured this out. Not a $22,000 a year service writer who does'nt even know these forums exsist. Anyway, try it. It's free and you've got nothing to lose.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    I have heard of another TSB - sorry I don't have the number right now that refers to the instrument cluster waking up and providing a battery draw. There is supposed to be a software update for this, but some people I have heard of cannot get their dealerships to install the fix until there is a problem with a drained battery. This might be another thing to investigate as well if you are experiencing a dead battery and you do not have NAV.

I can understand a frustration with this, people just want it fixed. The real fix though I think has to come through the dealership - like it or not. Work arounds are fine for some folks not for others. Good luck.
  • aaplsueaaplsue Member Posts: 37
    My remote start has only worked one time since I got the car new. Time to take it in and see why car will not start with the remote key. Anyone else with this issue?
    I have a 2010 Enclave (no nav) with same issues. Dealer told me the same thing. One thing helped me however is that whenever I pull into the garage I let it idle in park for one minute before shuting it off. This makes sure the back up camera and reverse warning has shut down completely. Also when I get out of the car I shut the door and then lock the doors with the key chain button. This shuts down all the interior and exterior lights instead of the onboard computer gizmos. I read about doing these things from a guy who had corvettes with the samr trouble. He never had a battery go dead again and neither have I. Try it, and let us know how it works. Good Luck.
  • lwallslwalls Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my Enclave would only run for a second like it was not getting fuel. My Dealer order a new ECM a week ago. Lucky with 54000 miles a GM Certfication Vehicle. Have anyone encounter this problem?
  • flaggirl73flaggirl73 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a 2010 Enclave for a week. It drove fine for 3 days. Then for the next 3 days it wouldn't start. The interior and exterior lights, radio and liftgate worked just fine but the car would not start. Then magically after turning the key many times and leaving the car to rest 20 minutes it would start. It is now in for service and the dealer can't replicate the problem. The battery was replaced the second day it didn't start. Any other ideas?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    flaggirl73.
    Please let me know if the dealer was able to fix your concerns. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lwallslwalls Member Posts: 2
    Yes! My Enclave was repaired by the Dealer, by replaces the ECM and Fuel Pump. Has more power and run great. Thanks!
    lwalls,
    Great! If you need anything else please feel free to e-mail me!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cruzinmacruzinma Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Enclave with No start problem x2 and to dealership x2. My Enclave did not sit for more than 24 hrs and it still did not start! The 1st time to dealership the answer was that couldn't find anything wrong. The about a month later, it happened again....NO START! I called the dealership again and really complained about this ongoing issue and they told me to bring it out. I told them to fix it this time. They said that they might have to keep it for a few days to figure it out and gave me a loaner car and I told them to keep my car until they fix it, Before the end of that business day, the dealership called me and told me that they had it fixed. When I went to pick up my car, the loaner car wouldn't start because it too had a dead battery and I was stranded! :( I then called the dealership 15 minutes before closing time and of course no one answered the phone. The next day the service manager called me and said he did not get my message until the next morning as he had to leave work early due to a sick child and everyone else must have been out moving cars or something else that they couldn't answer the phone. I told him I didn't want excuses why they left work early before the close of the day with nobody manning the phone, I want my $40000.00 car fixed and I don't want to be stranded again! When I asked what was wrong with my Enclave, they told me that they reprogramed the computer system according to GM specs for the fix of this problem. I asked if there was a recall for this issue and they said there was not a recall but since so many customers were complaining about the NO Start issue, GM decided to inform the dealerships how to fix this No Start problem for the customers that kept taking their Enclaves back to the dealership for this no start problem & complaining! I did and haven't had any more no starts & better not. The good news is that there is a fix for this problem. So to all of you with this No Start problem....Keep taking it back to the dealership and really complain and keep emailing GM if the dealership won't fix this no start prob. (emailing is a great record of all your concerns and complaints) Remember.... the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good Luck.
  • enclave2011enclave2011 Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to determine if I have the same problem as those posted here.

I drove my brand new 2011 Enclave yesterday. It sat for an hour. When I returned to start it, the entire system was locked. The steering wheel had no wiggle. I pressed the brake, but the key in the ignition wouldn't budge. The ONSTAR and NAV were completely dead. I called GM Roadside Assistance on my cellphone. When the tow truck arrived (20 minutes), the car magically started; all bells, lights, and whistles activated. Divine Intervention, perhaps?

I called one of the local dealerships, and the serviceman said he'd never heard of this problem. I explained that I'd read on the Internet that GM was aware of this problem and had issued instructions to dealerships about how to correct it. I'm taking it in tomorrow.
    enclave2011,

Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • mcs7418mcs7418 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying the buick enclave (I currently have the GMC Yukon)
    but am looking to cut on my gas pricing
    how have you liked the buick and if you had a choice would you buy it again
  • nickwwnickww Member Posts: 8
    I have a Buick Enclave 2008 AWD the third time in 2 months the battary goes dead in the morning. Called roadside they gave a jump start, took it in to the dealer, could not anything wrong, then a few weeks lather the same thing happaned, the battary goes dead, got a jump start, took it again into the dealership, they could not find anything wrong. The dealer told me that next time I should have towed in.

This Memorial day it happaned again, I had to wait till Tuesday to have it towed in to the dealer I waisted 4 hours till i finalley had it by the dealer, but again they can't find any thing, because as soon they jump start the car it works fine for a while.

I'm extreamly frustrated! a $40,000 car that I bought I should enjoy it, NOT SITTING AT THE DEALR EVERY FEW WEEKS! :mad:
    Could anyone help me out here?
  • enclave2011enclave2011 Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 Enclave is the first Buick I've owned in 25 years. I've only had it since March 2011. It's a great ride, but highway MPG is only about 21 when traveling at 75-80 mph.
  • bfamilybfamily Member Posts: 15
    Do you have the reverse camera system? We have a Chevy Traverse that kept draining the battery and the dealership traced it to the camera staying on. No problem since then.
    Thanks for your reply, I'll tell the dealer to check it out, but it seams that this
    dealership has no clue what they are doing.

It all started with an A/C problem back in 2009, the 1st summer I had the Enclave
    The drainage got clogged (they already new about problem) and all the water from the A/C ended inside the vehicle it damage the ECB which they had to replace. Since then it started happening, it had erratic symptoms every time before it goes dead in the morning.
    nickww,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please keep me updated on your progress at the dealer? Feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks for your concern, I just spoke to the dealership, he said that they changed the battary and it should be fine.

I hope this will solve the problem, time will tell, but I really feel that in wasn't the battary, as the meter was always showing good, the symptoms that was doing 1 or 2 days before it went dead over night, was while the vehicle was in motion.

I will let you know the results.
    nickww,

Thank you for the update. If you are still experiencing problems with the vehicle please feel free to contact us directly as well as the dealership.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    edited June 2011
    My 2010 Enclave has a rear view camera system. I do not have a DVD or Nav system so the camera is displayed on the rearview mirror. Ever since I began putting the transmission in park for one minute before shutting the engine off, after being in reverse with the rear camera system activated my battery has been fine. I think it gives the camera system time to shut down completely. I also lock the doors with my remote key chain right after closing the drivers door. This shuts the interior lights off instead of waiting for the computer to do it. I read these tips on the internet and have not had a problem since. I know it is'nt right to have to do it but it works and guess what, going to 3 dealerships did'nt. All they did was give me the deer in the headlights stare.
    myrtleman,

Glad to hear everything is working for you. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    Again the same problem! The Battery gone dead again!

I am really frustrated and outraged! I called the dealer spoke to the manager; he said I need to bring in the vehicle in they need to check it out again. Asked him what he will do, he said they have to run tests again to see why it having this problem, told him okey but i need a loner car, he said can't give me a loner until after 24hrs in the shop.

I am outraged that i have to waste time again & again taking off from work for this stupid problem that the dealer can't fix it! :mad:

What will they do this time that they haven’t tried last time? Why didn't they do it last time?

I need a loner car right away i can't waist time going back and fort to the dealer everyday just to hear that they could not find anything wrong! :mad:

This is the 4th time the same problem this year! THIS Enclave IS A LEMON!

I need to get a NEW CAR replacement!!! Enough is Enough

I will have to go to the Attorney General’s Office to file for the Lemon Law!

Could anyone advise me what to do to have this problem resolved?
    I feel your pain. My 2010 Enclave battery went dead in my garage in 5 days when it was 1 month old. I took it to the dealer and all they did was get a huge greasey footprint on my cashmere carpet and dirty hand prints on my 2nd row captains chair. (the battery is under that). Never found anything wrong. However I can tell you it never happened again and I can tell you why. Before you shut the car off let it idle for a minute or so in park, especially if you shifted in or through reverse. This assures that the reverse camera and sensors have shut completely off. Then after getting out of the car and right after shutting the door, lock the car with the remote key chain.
    This shuts down all the crap that a computer would have shut down if you leave the car unlocked. It may be a pain but I have never had a low or dead battery after doing these things. I read about it from a corvette owner with the same issue. Good Luck. Let me know if it works.
    Thanks for your post, I saw that but this is not the case here, this happens regardless. The problem is that something is draining the battery! GM has to find what causes this drainage.

I noticed last night that the battery will go dead as it started to show the symptoms that I noticed from previous occasions. For instance when I press the door lock it chimes 3 times. But it chimes once.

If Buick knows about this problem, they should really get their act together and fix it or have my car replaced.
    nickww,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Thank you for your reply I have sent all the info you requested to your email. I am looking forward to have this matter resolved A.S.A.P. with a happy ending.
  • kmg28kmg28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I was wondering if this problem was resolved and what did they determine was the problem. My car has left me stranded 4 times without starting. Once the car is jumped then I can get to my next destination. I brought my battery to be replaced and they stated the battery is still good and they checked my alternator, which also be fine. I am wondering if I am having the same problem you had. I also click my alarm button everytime I get out my car. This is very frustrating to have your car break down so much. Since I have been having my car from 2008, I have been stranded 7 times and one of those times, my car was in the dealership for almost 2 months. Enough is Enough.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty with your vehicle kmg28. If we can look further into this with you, please send us an email at the address located in my Edmunds profile. Please be sure to include your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your preferred dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi,

unfortunately since my last post in Aug. there were 3 more instances that the car went dead! the dealer could not find any problem with the car.

The car was by the dealership for 6 weeks to check out the problem, the dealer even asked GM to send down a special tech to check out the problem, but since the dealer could not duplicate the problem, GM refused to send someone down.

GM Customer Care has done noting in helping get this problem resolved!

They are good for noting!

It's time for a class action Lawsuit!

I've already hired a lawyer, will see how it will pan out.

good luck to you, i would never recommend the Enclave any more!
    I have a 2010 enclave cxl FWD no dvd or nav. Battery went dead when it was 4 weeks old for no reason. Took it in, dealer found nothing wrong. They got the inside filthy though but I digress. Anyway I adopted a policy of leaving it in park for about 30 seconds to a minute to give the rear camera system time to boot down before I shut the engine off. Also when you get out of the car, close the door then lock it using the key chain button right away. I read about this online from someone else. I don't understand it but I don't question it either cause for 2 and a half years it never went dead again. I hope you get yours resolved.
  • buzz6452buzz6452 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this problem right now on my 2008 AWD CXL enclave when you turn the key on all entertainment, dash lights, headlights etc come on bright but the battery meter shows low and it will not start, but if you leave it on 5 - 10 minutes and turn it off a few times. the battery indicator comes up to about 12 and it will start. I called the local Keys Woodland hills Buick and the service adviser said that they had not heard of it but could fix it. I am worried they are not going to fix it correctly. Any advice? Is there really a computer fix as discussed in this forum?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I'm far from an expert but I have seen odd behavior from vehicles if the battery is dying. How old is the battery?
    Good morning buzz6452,
    I can understand your concern, and that you want for your vehicle to be repaired. Unfortunately we don't have access to technical information as we rely up on our dealerships for the diagnosis and repair of issues. However, if you wanted to open a Service Request with us, we would be able to follow up with your dealership on your visit for you, as well as with you, to make sure that things went well, and escalate this for further consideration if the situation is not remedied.

Please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com if you want to pursue this (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your vehicle's VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of your dealership with appointment information).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 1533ramsay1533ramsay Member Posts: 1
    I am so happy to find this forum.
    I have an 08 Buick Enclave CXL. Purchased it new.
    Love the look of the car and how it drives. However, since I purchased the car the battery always would go down. Had the battery replaced under warranty 3xs. Last December 2011 the car was running close to the 50,000 mark. Wifes car and she was complaining of car not starting. Brought car in and get the service person saying your battery is registering very strong sir. We see no problem. Like all the other times I p/u my car from service, they coach me on how to fill out the service ranking request from from GM.
    I go past the 50,000 mark and my bottom row of my dash lites go dark, my rear passenger mirror keeps motoring continually motoring downward. The interior lites are on dim when the motor is not on. The seats will not move unless the engine is on. Remote start no longer works. Rear lift will not work unless engine is on. Turn on radio or any map lites on with engine off and in 5 minutes engine will not crank.
    Brought it in to Buick they tested battery and it checks out strong. They did a computer update.
    Charged me for the service. (yes, coached my on form again)
    It still has all the issues as stated above. My wife has gone from loving the car to hating the vehicle. We have two small children and she is afraid of being stranded like in the past. We constantly have to get on the children telling the NOT TO TURN ON THE READING LIGHTS when the engine is not running.
    What a nice problem to have when you pay $40,000 for a nice car.
    I will not bring it ever back to the Buick dealership of purchase. Instead I will try the dealership closer to main town. If this is going to be a lot of money, my wife and I have decided to trade it for a foreign car.
    Please GM, send me the service ranking form. I will fill it out on my OWN! :cry:
    Good morning 1533ramsay,

I'm very sorry that you have been disappointed in the service from your selling dealership. When are you planning on making your first visit to the other dealer? Please let us know if we can be of any assistance or create a complaint within our department.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sdodgesdodge Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Enclave and after coming home from church parked my car in the yard as my husband was doing something in the carport. At about 3am he tried to move the car into the garage with his key. (only had car 3 weeks have never used his key) His key is now stuck in ignition and car is completely dead. From everything I have read here it sounds like the battery is dead for some reason. I did not lock car after getting out this morning. Don't have a clue what could have run the battery down. ANY ANSWERS??????
    sdodge,
    I'm sorry that your key is stuck and the power is out in your new Enclave! Are you planning on having this looked into? Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Welcome to the club! You are in for along ride! GM has no answer for this problem, you should insist for a NEW car!
  • slmtxslmtx Member Posts: 1
    Live in Houston, TX. 2011 enclave leaking coolant on garage floor. Turned out to be faulty water pump with only 14,500 miles on car. disappointed in this but covered by warranty.
  • wfarrahwfarrah Member Posts: 2
    I had mine in for service 2 weeks ago. It sat idle since then.
    When I tried to start it today - dead battery!!!!!!!!!!
    They replaced the battery last year and reprogrammed it after I started calling the tow truck to come get it every time the battery went dead.

Now it is happening again.

Any suggestions?
    I like the idea of a mass lawsuit.
  • sdmelpasosdmelpaso Member Posts: 2
    Hello! I have a 2010 Enclave and am having and have been having the same problem you stated in your post. I am frustrated since after purchasing a battery for $180 the first time it happened it has been replaced twice! Ridiculous in a car only 2 yrs old with such a big price tag!
    Here's what I do and I have not had a dead battery since. First, every time you leave the car LOCK THE DOORS RIGHT AWAY WITH THE REMOTE KEY CHAIN. Do not wait for the interior light to dim. 2nd, Before you shut the engine off let it idle in park for about a minute, especially if you've been in reverse. This assure that the reverse camera and back up sensors have completely shut down. I learned these things from actual people who have figured this out. Not a $22,000 a year service writer who does'nt even know these forums exsist. Anyway, try it. It's free and you've got nothing to lose.
    Hello sdmelpaso,

I just had wanted to check in to see if these battery replacements have been performed through one of our dealerships? The factory warranty on your Buick should have covered the factory battery. If you would like for us to check into this further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • sdmelpasosdmelpaso Member Posts: 2
    I am taking in to dealer tomorrow and hope they find resolve. We bought the replacement because it was 8pm and no dealer open at that hour. I have two toddlers and this is our only family vehicle. Waiting til the next morning and having it towed to a dealer was not an options due to needing vehicle. We purchased battery because after the one in car was checked and we were told it was a dead battery we figured a new battery would fix our problem. Since the second issue I have kept my boys from watching the enterainment system, and am worried everytime we are out that we will be stranded. I pray the problem can be fixed tomorrow since having a $600 a month car payment is enuf without having to pay vehicle repair costs!
    All the best today, sdmelpaso! Looking forward to an update.

• nbarnes2012nbarnes2012 Member Posts: 1
    My husband purchased me the 2012 Buick Enclave in May 2012. Two weeks ago, my chldren and I were leaving for work/school, only to go outside, and the car wouldn't start! The towing company picked up the car, took it to the dealership, and I was told that I had a faulty battery. They replaced the battery, and sent me on my way. I've had the same issue this week. Luckily, my neighbor was able to jump start my vehicle, so that we could get to work/school. I notified the dealership the moment I arrived at work. They picked up my car, kept it for 48 hours, and called me to let me know that they can't find anything wrong with the vehicle. I informed them about others who have been experiencing this same problem since 2008/2009, and that I do not want to go through this any longer. I was told that since they couldn't find anything, they still have to bring me my car today, and pick up the loaner car. My husband travels, and I cannot afford to come out in the morning to a vehice that won't start. I need to know what number can I call to make this complaint known, so that I can get some resolve. This is the biggest issue, not to exclude the noisey sterring wheel, and cabin noise. Someone, PLEASE HELP!
    nbarnes2012,

We can look into this for you if you had wanted to touch base with Customer Service. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Alternatively, you can contact Buick Customer Assistance at 800-521-7300 (Hrs: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday).