Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 VW Golf

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    was nearby, so I stopped to see the golf today. Pretty crappy supply, a strippo manual 2 door, and same car with the AT. Both white.

and, the sales dude said feb/march for a TDI (this is in NJ). Sounds like the old plan of "try to sell 'em what we got on the lot"!

anyway, some nice upgrades over the prior model (I only sat and poked, did not drive). Good seats, lots of room, nice dash, etc.

couple of notes:

- Sat in a 4 door 2010 GTI (nice car, 6 speed). Amazing the room and comfort in the back seat.
    - decent space in the trunk, tons of room with the seats folded. Can't beat a box for space utilization!
    - the 2 door without an armrest was horrible. That would be a must add. I think it was a dumb move to shave what, $15 off the sticker to skip this?
    -the 2.5l gets really lousy EPA mileage for a car this small.

anyway, If I go back to 90miles/day commute soon, a TDI 4 door would be a very nice package to do it in. I can even fit my 80lb. dog in the back with one of the seat folded.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

just scoped out a pricing report. Man, this little puppy ain't cheap.

a TDI 4 door with only the DSG and moonroof is $25,500+. With no discounts likely, not a cheap way to get better mielage!

too bad the 2.5l is such a lump and not particularly economical. Would be nice if they had a modern 4 cyl (2.0-2.3l) instead.

that, and put it on a diet...

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Stopped by to see the new Golf today. They only had a stripped 2 door with manual in stock. The salesman told me they got one 4 door TDI with DSG and it was sold before it got there. I told him VW gassers have no interest for me. I did look closer at the Touareg TDI and that is about all. It is a lot smaller than my Sequoia.
  • bingosabibingosabi Member Posts: 7
    No go on the snowboard through the trunk passthrough.. It doesn't fit through the passthrough to the trunk/hatch area:

Guess VW's engineers are more the ski types.
    I got it in by folding down one back seat... technically room for four adults, but not comfortably since some one is stuck in the middle. It is a big snowboard though... 160cm x 32 cm (64" x 13") But then again.. if All four people have snow boards.. it's a no go.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    bingosabi, thanks so much for the ski/snowboard tests, and with photos too!
    Very kind of you. Your results show me exactly what I wanted - I can fold down
    half the rear seat if need be.. So including myself I can bring 3 skiers/snowboarders no problemo.
    And yeah, sorry for my pointless little nitpick on "hatch release" vs "trunk release". :)
    Have fun on the slopes this year! :)
  • marlyecemarlyece Member Posts: 26
    i've had the car a week and the backup lights aren't working. gotta take it to the dealer already :(
  • eldaino2eldaino2 Member Posts: 34
    the 2.5l gets really lousy EPA mileage for a car this small

see this is where i disagree with you and other folks. look at the 2.5 mazda 3. similiar hp, less torque, and one less cylinder and its rated at LESS mpg at 22/29. and the weight is about the same. why is it that everyone gets up in arms about the golf/rabbit, but not about larger engined cars like the mazda 3 or the 2.4 corolla?

and none of those cars offer a 40mpg car like the tdi thats actually peppy. (they offer them without the pep.)
    It is still lousy mileage for a car this small (those others are actually bigger).

Plus, the point you missed, the mazda and toyota also offer a base engine which gets notably better MPG. The S mazda is the sports car of the range, and I doubt the take rate on the 2.4l Corolla is very high.

even the mini has a base NA engine to go along with the higher output motor.

I would be very happy to see VW come out with an ~2.0l NA motor with al lthe state of the art goodies on it that should blow away the 2.5l ileage, smoothness, and prbably match it's performance. And weigh less too!

now, the 1.4l twin charger set up cold be an interesting alternative to the TDI for power/mileage...

I owned the mini with the base engine for a while, but only drove it a couple times since the CVT was so incredibly annoying.
    It got horrid mpg for such a small car . About 26 mpg.
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    I "ordered" a Golf TDI about 2 months ago, right when ordering was opened. Here's what I'm told today by my Atlanta dealer:

"As of right now VWAG who owns us over here in the US has not released any of the recently ordered Golf's for production. Don't really know why at this point, we have not heard back from anyone in regards to an informed answer to that question. Hope to have at least some info on the subject soon. Your Rabbit (sic) is still sitting in the accepted order status "awaiting production" if you would.

At least we are 1 month ahead of people placing an order now, as a line is starting to form."
    I was on a waitlist from he_ _ . I got on one early august. my local dealer advised that she wasn't sure she'd see my car until spring at the earliest. i found a similarly configured TDI (minus the Xenons and exact color I wanted) and I jumped on it at another dealer. they hadn't even had it on the lot..it was enroute from texas when I put a deposit down. i recommend calling around and finding a dealer who doesn't have a waitlist to see if they have something you'd like coming in. my dealer told me she will be lucky to see a total of 12 TDI Golfs in the next year. It just isn't profitable for VW to put the TDI engine in a GOLF body...they make a great deal more on the Jetta and Sportwagens.
    My local VW dealer has delivered at least one Golf TDI. Unless they were lying to me. No reason for them to do that.
    I don't think your dealer is lying but from what I've seen each dealer is only getting 1-2 per month TOTAL. Obviously this isn't enough to fulfill demand.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    My dealership got allocation for ONE Golf TDI, which is scheduled to arrive in March, so some orders do get released for production.
    That is in addition to two launch cars that were assigned to us by VW.
  • bravo1979bravo1979 Member Posts: 1
    I placed a deposit on a Golf TDI last week. The dealer doesn't expect to get more than 1 every 3 months. According to the dealer I probably won't see mine until May/June.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    I do not have any inside information on the 2010 Golf TDIs. I strongly suspect that VWoA has loaded up the TDIs with the nav system and lots of other goodies because they cannot make a profit selling a base model. I am not sure if they profit from the 2.5-liter Golfs, no one else gets that engine so maybe it's produced in Mexico and shipped to Europe for assembly, and that enables them to sell those Golfs for a slight profit. At any rate, if there was a lot of profit to be made, VW would be building more and shipping more to North America.

The cost of ownership does not include what the car costs when new but it does include how much value it loses in the first three or five years. If you think the demand for 2010 Golf TDIs is much greater than the supply right now, then it should continue in future years -- if you can find one for around MSRP now, then you should lose very little value and your cost of ownership could be extremely low. If the dollar keeps losing value, you might even be able to sell your 2010 Golf TDI for more than it cost when new, if the only alternative is to pay $30k or more for a 2014 model.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    TDIs (and competing hybrids) already require a large premium that few buyers will ever recoup in fuel savings. Gas would have to go far higher than last year's gouge to allow the TDI to even break even vs a gas engine after several years. If the euro rise drives the US price of a TDI much higher, I think its more likely that the TDI will again disappear from this market.
    I think we will get more VW TDIs built in the US or Mexico. But that should have no effect on the resale value of 2010 Golf TDIs. If they are hard to find now, then they will be rare and highly sought after in future years, so the resale value should be super-high.
    I think you are missing the main reason many would buy the Golf TDI over the gas version. Mileage is a big factor. To me it is in the driving of the diesel vs a small gas engine. Unless you get the GTI which is more expensive than the diesel, the standard gas engine just does not have what it takes. What ever you put in at the start you will get back when you sell. Probably even a bigger spread than the gas version. I see no reason to own a gas VW. And a hybrid like the Prius is strictly for those with no desire to enjoy the driving.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Why do some reviewers say ,that you can't get a sunroof with the base version golf it'a listed under options, along with heated seats and chome exhaust. I don't want 17" wheels i'll buy some alloys from Tirerack.com :confuse:
  • lily986526lily986526 Member Posts: 2
    i have never seem such wonderful games before!!! :P
  • lily986526lily986526 Member Posts: 2
    Why do some reviewers say ,that you can't get a sunroof with the base version golf it'a listed under options, along with heated seats and chome exhaust. I don't want 17" wheels i'll buy some alloys from Tirerack.com
    You on some meds or what? :confuse:
    Hello Lily.
    Reviewers may say that because it may be essentially correct!
    VW can make the cars in any configuration they want, regardless of what options are orderable/ordered/not-ordered.
    On my VW cars I generally concur with your preference for 16 inch wheels but would be willing to give the 17s a try on my next VW - maybe using 16inch/steelwheels for blizzaks or other snow+ice tires in winter.
    cheers...
  • kksdadkksdad Member Posts: 28
    Hi, new to this forum and in the market, but my on-line dealers searches so far show NONE in the area..........am I missing something or has anyone been lucky enough to spot one of these on-lot or even out on the road? Seem to be plenty of Jetta's, though..........appreciate any feedback, thanks!
  • bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    I'm on the East Coast, Long Island, NY area. I'm using Edmunds inventory search engine to follow the availability of VW TDI's. As of today I searched a 200 miles radius and found 25 vehicles. I've place an order with my local dealer and am expecting a 2-4 month wait. With diesel fuel now more expensive than premium I don't think there will be a run on the TDI. Of course if gas spikes over $4 a gallon that will cause folks to seek the TDI out. So far the oil markets are quiet at around $80 barrel but that can change.

Perhaps the cars will reach your area shortly.

Regards,
    Bob
    If SF is anything like San Diego, the Jetta Sportswagen and Golf TDIs are sold when the unload them from the truck. I have wanted to test drive the Golf and so far no calls from any dealer around here. That means no demo cars or excess inventory.

Just checked here and it says there are two 2door TDIs at two different dealers. I have found that to be old news and they are already sold. I think a wait for a few months till they catch up a bit is in order. I don't see one penny off MSRP yet.
    All I can find is GTI's. You won't see one penny off either because VOA is playing us again. I can wait for the new Focus. :shades:
    I think it has to do with the dollar being near worthless. If it was built here or Mexico it would not be a big deal. The exchange rate is killing European imports. The Golf TDI 4door in the UK is selling for 22,760GBP or $37,000 in US Dollars. How many would they sell here at that price? Hopefully they get their new modern facility in TN built and start popping out diesels across the line.
    Here's a thread from a TDI Club registered vendor in Pennsylvania. He can find new Golf TDIs when other VW dealerships can't -- he sells more TDIs so he gets a bigger allocation of TDIs.
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2843175

And here's another registered vendor in Alabama. He can't get as many TDIs, but he sells the ones he gets at a reasonable discount.
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265708
    Are V Dubs going to be made in Mexico?
    They have been made in Mexico for at least 30 years. The Jetta is assembled there. The TDI engine and DSG comes from somewhere in the EU. VW was still building the old bug down there til just a year or so ago.
    How come when I look at Edmunds VW golf options ?I can get a sunroof,heated seats etc; and I can't find a dealer in New England that has one in their inventory ?
    Also, I priced it out at $19341.I went to 7 dealers and what Golfs they had started at 20K and were base models?
    Do you think the cause is the value of the dollar? Why would Edmunds be so far off base? :confuse:
    Are you considering the destination charge, typically $650-700 or so?
    doesn't Edmunds figure the destination charge in when they tell you what others are paying? These dealers are in Edmunds all the time and love to see customers coming in with all the Edmunds info.
    I found a red GTI mint sunroof and heated seats,and cloth interiorand the vanishing 6spd.The dealer wants $22, 265.00. for it.
    I thoughtI could buy a Golf 2010 with all that on it for20k and the only difference would be a 5 spd., regular gas and naturaly aspirated. A new TDI Golf is $25K OTD then there's 6% tax $1500.00 and$590.00 Excise tax.
    Gagrice claims they are made in Mexico,if so where are they? It's not that they are crossing an ocean.
    Thanks JB
  • dcbradleydcbradley Member Posts: 9
    2010 Golfs are made in Wolfsburg,Germany.
    Golf Sportwagons are made in Mexico. Basically the Jetta Sportwagon rebadged as a Golf.

Just took delivery of a 2010 Golf 2.5L 5-dr. Comfortline pkg. 5-speed. Really impressed with the retuned 2.5L 5cyl. Amazing car!

If you don't need the rocket quick GTi, this new Golf will surprise you. Lots of torque, reg. gas, good mileage, and very, very little maintenance.
    Thanx you have what I want. I couldn't find comfort pkg. I just wat a 2dr. with sunroof, heated seats,5 peed and mudflaps.I 'd go 4dr if I had two. Did you have to order your car,sounds nice to me?
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    The reason you can't find 'comfort package' is because dcbradley is speaking of a
    Canadian market vehicle that is equipped differently than here in the USA. Go to the
    Canada VW website if you wish to see what he is speaking of. To that end, I wish
    Edmunds would go back to displaying small flags next to our names, identifying which country we are residing in. This way, some of the confusion that arises about
    unique models would be made as clear as daylight.
    I agree about the flags.You know my Acura Type S did not come with heated seats,but in Canada they were standard.
  • dcbradleydcbradley Member Posts: 9
    Hey, my bad. Yes, it's a Canadian vehicle. I should have clarified.

As far as the heated seats go, they're worth it.
  • bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    Are heated seats necessary with a cloth interior? I've not ordered them for my Golf TDI. My dad's Camry with cloth has no heated seats and it is fine.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    It one drives a TDI engine which creates very little heat in the cabin... the heated seats are a welcome addition when it is -10F outside and cold air blows from the vents.
    I'd get the heated seats.The climate where you live should. tell you. I have to go with the TDI heated seats because I live In Maine and Colorado. When it's 21 one below and there is frost on the front door hindges inside the camp, ya you need heated seats.
    Has more than anything in class ,except for strong enginea 1.4 liter ithink.
    bobny57, I recommend you consider to ask dealership to edit your Golf TDI order to add the bunwarmers/winter-package/whatever-it-takes. With all due respect, your experience with the gasser Camry absent bunwarmers is not relevant to how crucial the bunwarmers are in any TDI in northern USA!
    I too would recommend them.
    I've got them on my 2010 TDI golf and they're great. They are also much improved over older golfs. (Both the bottom cushion and the seat back cushions are heated.
    They have three settings, which seem to be calibrated very nicely. (My previous 2002 Golf only had the bottom cushions heated... and none of the 5 settings was ever the desired temp. The 2010 seats are also faster to warm up.)
  • thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    2010 Golf tdi owners - please reply if you have had nothing reliability-wise go wrong with your VW. I'd love to hear total miles too. Thanks - GTD hopeful future owner.
    No reliability issues here, but only up to 3,500 miles so far.
    I have to laugh when people ask about tires,or read car reviews with less than at least 10or 12k on a car or tires.
    Check with Gagrice he has some miles on his,hope it helps.
  • dnhxdnhx Member Posts: 7
    What kind of real gas mileage are current owners seeing for the 2010 golf 2.5l manual? Its hard to believe it would be only 22mpg in town.
This discussion has been closed.