Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 VW Golf

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    TDI Models get full iPod integration standard plus the new Premium VIII radio.
  • thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    Looks like 2009 pricing to me?
  • marlyecemarlyece Member Posts: 26
    Looks like veedub mistakenly uploaded the pricing to their server on 8/22 and then took note of it and removed it yesterday. here's what it showed yesterday if anyone is interested:

Base price for a 2 door Golf TDI is $21,990 in the US. Add $700 destination (mandatory).
    Add $600 for the 4 door Golf
    $600 for the HID xenon headlights w/AFS(highly recommended, option code p83).
    $1750 for RNS 510 navigation system. (option code p71)
    $1000 for the sunroof. (option code 3fe)
    $225 Cold weather package - heated seats/windshield washer nozzles. (option codew79)
    $400 for 300w Dynaudio excite high stereo. (option code 9ve)
    $350 rear lower side airbags (avail. only on 4 door, head rear curtain airbags standard)
    Bluetooth standard on US Golf TDI, otherwise $275 for bluetooth option code 9w2
    $1100 DSG transmission
    Looks like mine will cost 24515 + t,t,t (msrp)

4door
    dest
    HIDs
    cwp
    stereo

Can't wait to drive one. Rides smoother, lower cabin noise, more attractive front end...
    i got mine at dealer invoice +$850 but I'll probably have to wait forever for it to arrive. can't wait. i agree on the ride, noise and front end. no comparison. i hate how hybrids usually look like hybrids, not "real" cars ;)
    marlyece - you already ordered? what is dealer invoice on yours? Color - options - delear used - etc. or email me
    the strange thing is that i'm not certain what dealer invoice will be. on the sportwagens msrp was about 1600 over dealer invoice so i'm hoping to save at least 5-600. also this dealership told me it might not show up until the end of february which seems really long. maybe they're just being honest. they seemed pretty good and were one of the few dealerships who would negotiate below msrp.
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    They changed the diesel engines in 1998 and run those until 2002. The older engine only had about 80 hp, in 98 it increased to 90. The PD in 2002 jumped to 100 hp. The new engines have been in use in Europe since 2006 and get 140 hp.

As for the question on curb weight. The sedan and wagen are the same length, so you push the trunk up and make it roof panel. Back door weighs hardly anything. I have to assume that the quoted weights are without sunroof because the wagen sunroof is at least twice as large as the sedan. Plus you need extra reinforcement to protect you in a rollover.
    What is the difference in the styling of the Euro VW GTD and the new 2010 Golf TDI coming to America? I don't see much cosmetic differences other than just a few touches on the front fascia. Anyone know? I can't tell them apart hardly.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It looks the same to me as the Golf GTD. I think the only difference is engine programming and maybe jets. We get the detuned version to please the wonks in California.

http://www.vw.com/upcomingcars/2010golf/en/us/
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    The Golf TDI is supposed to sit higher, something like 15 mm, which is still lower than the gas Golf. The interior of the GTD has better supported seats and the front grill is a different pattern and trimmed in red. The engine of the TDI is 140 hp while the GTD is supposed to get 180.
    I can't wait to drive this thing. I hope I'm not too tall for it (6'3"). Is back seat room miniscule or can it fit 2 adults for an hour long ride?
    i'm short but i know folks with the mk5 who are 6'4" and have plenty of head room. the mk6 is even better for head room. the back seats are pretty spacious from what i've read so i think it should be plenty comfortable.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    VW cars are more comfortable for us tall fellows than anything out of Japan. I have a 6'7" friend that drives a New Beetle and a Town Car. He likes the head room better in his Beetle. I sat in the GTI and it had great seats and plenty of head room. IMO Civic and Accord are the worst for head room.
    What will the stock wheels look like? Anyone know?
  • foxracer117foxracer117 Member Posts: 3
    These are the 17" Porto wheels that will come stock on the TDI.

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/43359-4/IMG_5725.JPG
  • eldaino2eldaino2 Member Posts: 34
    The Golf TDI is supposed to sit higher, something like 15 mm, which is still lower than the gas Golf. The interior of the GTD has better supported seats and the front grill is a different pattern and trimmed in red. The engine of the TDI is 140 hp while the GTD is supposed to get 180.

actually its 170, and only the gti gets the red trim. the gtd will be a different color.

the GTD is basically a GTI diesel.

and its not coming to the states. they MAY offer the gtd interior and suspension settings, but it wont have the power of the real GTD as its supposed to be a stand alone model, not just a comsetic exercise.
  • murrowcatmurrowcat Member Posts: 6
    After waiting for the new Golf to come to the states, and after admiring the 2010 model on a recent trip to Europe, I'm very disappointed in the U.S. specs.
    You cannot get a gasoline 5-door model with a manual transmission.
    Furthermore, the gas version of the 2010 Golf does not have the center armrest storage. You have to upgrade to the TDI to get these features.
    Sigh.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I share your disappointment too. Blame it on the importer, VWOA. Check out the vw.ca site, which is the Canadian version. Their importer includes the front arm rest as standard in non-TDI Golf's, 3 or 5 door version. So, I would guess you can have it installed by your dealer as an option in the US version. I was disappointed that only
    one color choice was allowed...black, and that's it. Why not a choice, such as beige
    or gray? As far as TDI is concerned, overpriced and limited availability. I'll stick with
    the gas model, thank you very much VWOA.
    Checking the Canadian specs on the 5-door 2.5 just infuriates me more! Thanks for sharing.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    When I bought My Type S Acura the Canadian version came with heated seats, mine didn't.
    Well,I went to look at the VW Golf Friday and the TDI was around $24k and no way were they going to budge.I thought it was way over priced.
    So,if I buy I get the gas 3dr HB Golf manual.
    What do you think I'd get for real milage?
    I think that this economy is going to still remain the way it is and next summer there will be more deals.
    However, the places Iv'e been to you have to get a salesman off his duff to help you. :sick:
    Puffin

You saw a Golf TDI in person already? Where do you live? And they seemed firm on MSRP you say? Did you test drive one? More details, puffin.
    how is the tdi version overpriced?

its just as expensive, if not less, than comprable hybrids, and only slighlty more expensive (or right on par) with the decked out top level versions of other compacts.

and its far nicer on the inside to boot.

your dissapointed with an armrest? so get the add on and pay the extra. the rabbit didnt get one either in base 2 door guise, this is nothing new. if its new to you, you have been out of it my friend, and this is all typical vwoa stuff.

how can you be impressed with a car, then totally underwhelmed because it doesn't include an armrest? thats a bit nitpicky right? if its THAT important, you will shell out the extra dough.

i fail to see how the tdi is overpriced. its so well equipped. and unlike top level versions of the nissan sentra, mazda 3 and honda civic, it offers a substantial fuel economy advantage, even if you are paying more for fuel.
    considering candadian prices are out the roof, 24k for a tdi is a steal. thats what they cost in the states. there are civics that cost that much here.

im really not getting this tdi is overpriced crap.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    A 2009 Civic Hybrid is $27,350 in Canada, plus there is a choice of the Golf City starting at $15,300 which is an absolute bargain, so I have no sympathy for the complaints of Golf TDI prices in Canada.
    I sent an email via vw.com complaining about VW not offering a well-equipped 5-door manual with the 2.5L engine. I told the VW people they lost a sale. Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen website. We appreciate your
    interest in the 2010 Golf VI!

At this time, there are no plans to offer the Golf VI 4-door with the
    2.5L engine in a manual. We apologize for any disappointment this may
    have caused.

Since VW is supposed to project a sporty, upscale, European image, isn't it a shame that I'll probably now buy a Subaru 5-door with a manual???
    uh, just because they dont sell a manual transmission doesnt meant the car is no longer sporty. just because it would be a tad sportier with one doesn't mean its lost all sporting pre-tensions.

besides, they are a company that just so happens to offer the sportiest mass produced transmission available: the dsg. sure its not offered on the 2.5, but you are making it sound like the golf is just a drag to drive now. if you are totally dependent on manual trannies to for your driving enjoyment, there is a plethora of other cars out there for you. honestly, 4 door 2.5 manual transmission drivers represent a very small specfiic demographic.
    Cars with automatics can seem sporty, but I'm among the few who think an automatic takes a lot of fun and a sense of control out of driving. If I wanted an automatic, I would be shopping in another automotive category. Call me old-fashioned, but after enjoying having a clutch and a stick-shift in every car I've owned since 1983, from Toyotas to Saabs, I'm unwilling to "settle" for a slushbox and let a computer shift for me.

I've seen specs on this new Golf posted on VW's Euro and Canadian websites and think VW is cutting corners and eliminating customers who strongly prefer to shift their own gears. I could get a boring-looking Jetta with 5-speed manual, but as a city dweller with only one car, prefer that 5-door body style for its versality and sportiness.

We had a 2000 Golf 1.8T, loaded with a 5-speed, and it was a blast to drive.

Looking forward to see the new GTI specs, but not the plaid upholstery, higher sticker price and higher insurance rates.

As for your suggestion to check out a "plethora" of other cars with manual transmissions, what is your definition of "plethora"?

I don't want a stripped Toyota, a ubiquitous Honda, Focus, etc. I wanted an affordable German car again -- especially after the 2000 Golf.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Any car is a drag to drive with an automatic. My brothers 530i is boring to drive with an automatic, and my Accord is fun to drive with a stick shift.

VW dropped the ball on this. No excuse. They don't need seperate epa testing just because of two more doors. The 4 door is the more practical car, why not match it with the more practical transmission. Just plain silly. Look at sales of the Jetta wagon - mostly TDI because the people that want the efficient body (most room) also want the efficient engine.

Honda did something similar with the super effecient Civic from a few years back (hx?). They only offered it on the two door - a super efficient engine only available on the least efficient body style. I would have snatched up a 4 door in a heartbeat, but a two door was not even on the radar.

The thing is people looking for two doors can always opt for the 4 door, but those of us with kids that need 4 doors cannot consider a two door. If anything the limited availability options should be on the two door.
    "...but not the plaid upholstery".

Oh man - I think that is really nice looking. Very "guys cabin" feel to it. I love it personally. Wish they'd option it on the regular golf tdi.
    The plaid seats may seem novel, but what about after 6-months or 36-months? My dream Golf would have my mandatory manual transmission, Sirius radio and LEATHER seats.
    Sounds good to me too. I want to drive one of these today! Hurry up vw.
    Responding to you eldaino2. I don't have an issue with the lack of standard equipped
    armrest in the 2 door Golf VI. I just noted it, responding to another writer in this forum.
    It isn't a deal breaker for me, I would pay the dealer to install the armrest and be done with it.
    Now, regarding the pricing of the TDI in 5speed or DSG, I stand by my previous comment. Overpriced. I don't see the value, unless one is driving alot of miles per year. I do 7 to 10 thousand miles a year. For the amount of driving I do, it doesn't make sense to spend an additional $3,000+ just to get an engine that will give me
    10-13 mpg more. Yes, I know the seats are better and so forth, but the gas model
    is a better value. Certainly compared to the topped trim levels of Sentra, Civic, and Lancer. Corolla is also a good value, with those heatable mirrors and provided armrests...and better gas mileage than Golf gas models. But the driving satisfaction in the Corolla vs the Golf...there is no comparison there. If one wants
    an appliance with good gas mileage...Corolla is the way to go, not Golf. But I believe most here want a great driving experience, good to great gas mileage, good reliability and a good value. Golf VI is a bit pricey, but those of us here will pay for it. The TDI though..I draw the line there. The Golf VI is not above criticism, which is why I posted the original comment last week. I happen to like it alot, but spending that kind of money to get 40+ mpg bragging rights is not on my radar. For some, money is no object. That's fine,
    and one can choose from the TDI to the Prius for the high mpg's. But unless one is driving over 20k miles a year, the savings aren't going to add up to make up for the high cost of procuring and maintaining the TDI.
    I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.
    Let's hope the center armrest console part is offered through the dealer as an accessory for the 2.5 Golf models. I've gotten used to having that center armrest (especially in manual transmission cars) as a necessity not a luxury. Seems insane that it's not standard at this price point.

I again reiterate that I wish VW would rethink offering the 2.5 Golf 5-door with a manual transmission and some of the upmarket equipment that are available to Canadian customers -- such as a satellite radio and even navigation.

If VW is positioning itself as a sportier and more upscale brand than Toyota/Honda/Subaru/Ford, let's see evidence of that with the transmission offerings and the standard and optional equipment.
  • chrisarmchrisarm Member Posts: 1
    Ike 3,
    The diff is not $3000 for the TDI as there is a federal tax credit of $1300 for the six speed and $1800 for the DSG.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    I compared a base 2010 Golf to a base 2009 Rabbit this past weekend at a local dealership.
    At a glance, I could not see any differences in equipment to speak of.

Why then is there a 10% price hike? $1600.....
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I've always understood the meaning of the word "overpriced" to mean that the price is artificially high. In this case, I don't think that's so.

It's taken VW tens of millions of dollars of development to bring it into being - it's as good as anything from MB or BMW. It costs a fair bit more than the gassers for VW to build and certify the TDI engine for US EPA and CARB, train their own repair departments, and provide a powertrain that will handle all that sweet sweet torque. In Europe it's a HUGE seller. Here, where diesel fuel is truly overpriced, they're selling all they can make. And that means that neither your nor I need to give our blessing to others to buy them, either. Where else can we get an engine anywhere as sweet as the TDI? Maybe the 2.0L TFSI? Another brilliant engine. And they get a decent premium for that one as well.

So, yes it's more expensive. But IMHO, not unfairly so.

Still waiting to drive a '10 Golf TDI. Lease is up in Feb. Look like a pretty sweet ride...
  • smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know when we'll see the Golf TDI start to show up at dealers? I saw a new 2 door gas Golf driving in our neighborhood yesterday in NJ.
    I called a few dealers in my area (Wisconsin) and was informed that their first batch of TDIs is due in November 8 or 9. Not sure if the same holds true for every dealership, however.
    rcinmd, this is news to me. That is pretty outrageous. And yet, not even an armrest on the 2 door base US model for this year either. I sat in one today, a 5 speed, with only the "winter package" added. Ithought that price looked kinda high, now that I'm thinking about it.
    Whatever happened to the $16,990 price we saw just 3 years for the very same model
    as a 5 speed, 2 door? Inflation, true. US dollar being weaker, sure.
    Where's the value? Does it retain its value after 3-4 years like a Civic? Corolla?
    Just asking, that's all.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Does it retain its value after 3-4 years like a Civic? Corolla?

VW as a brand has a higher retained value than Honda or Toyota.
    Model specific I can say that TDI retained value for Golf is predicted higher than Civic or Corolla, for the gas Golf I can't say.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I've looked at the Fit, Civic, and Insight. The gas Golf (and TDI Jetta) is a quantum leap above them in driving, handling, comfort and features. The competition are cheaper; stripped down and utterly cheesy in comparison and (Insight excepted) get much lower mileage. I'm also calculating my fuel cost on $5/gal gas, which I think is only a year or two away. I'll have to wait another month to drive a TDI Golf, but after driving a Jetta, my mind is 95% made up. By the time you add even a moderate option pkg to the Hondas, the price difference is cut in half or more. Comparing only price, size and mileage, is ignoring a lot.
  • bingosabibingosabi Member Posts: 7
    I heard the same from the two dealers in Denver. Early November.

Interestingly, both dealers I called already had info (trim/ transmission / color / packages) on their first few allocations which would be arriving.

One had an automatic TDI 4 door on the way nov 8thish.
    The second dealer had a couple of DSG TDIs enroute and a Manual 4 door which I snapped up with a $500 deposit later that afternoon. The dealer thought it was possible it might show up earlier than that... end of October. but who knows...

I do know it was manufactured September 21, 2009 and have the vin. So it will be curious to see the lead time from manufacture date to delivery.

What happened to the days when the next year models were out earlier every year (Sept, Aug, July June) ? Did we wrap around finally?
    Update on this... The car arrived today (Oct 16) in Houston von Deutschland. Eta 7-10 days to clear port and make it to Colorado. So roughly four to five weeks from manufacture to delivery if anyone is interested in lead times.
    wow, you must be one of the first. let us know how you like it!
    for you the gas model does make more sense.

but then again, you drie significantly less than even the average american. (15-17k a year)

i on the other hand drive at least 28k a year, so the tdi makes a bit more sense to me.

i can see everyone is bummed out about the stick thing on the foor door...call me crazy but i think there is more to enjoying driving a car than rowing your own gears. (crazy huh?)

but in typical overtly exaggerative carspace fashion, i think you guys saying 'vw dropped the ball' is a bit much. maybe they dropped the ball FOR YOU, but dont classify the golf6's sucess based solely on what a group of people on the effing internet think vw should offer. ( i bet if we could tally up how many vw golf 4 doors were sold with m/t's, the number would be nothing to write home about.)

as far as the price hike goes....that happens with a lot of cars. but the golf has been enchanced with a lot of things here and there that the pevious model did not have. have you guys seen the interior? its leaps and bounds ahead of the rabbit, which was already nice to begin with. that an all the added insulation and special glass they have used costs something.

and btw, the plaid interior on the gti is EPIC, and holds up just as well as any other interior material would. if you dont care anything about the GTi's history or heritage i can see not liking it, but if thats the case maybe you should consider something else. that inteiror is awesome and has loads more personality than anything else in its class. (or above)
    Picked it up yesterday... in a foot of snow. (Denver got a total of 20"-24" of the white stuff or so in the past two days.) That dealer also got two DSGs which were also sold before arrival. They're apparently not getting any more TDI's until December.
    I've been the airport a few times already (long story & drive), and done a fair amount of city driving. Cumulative mileage so far is 39mpg, though I do a bit of hypermiling, and I've not been pushing it at all yet, since the owenr's manual recommends some easy does it break in procedures for the first 1,000 miles. Not to mention the snow packed roads in many parts of town. Still, even at 60-70% throttle once it's warm, it pulls very nicely... Feels a lot like a friends V6 '02 Passat I've driven, but handles much better. It's great in snow, slush or hardpack... not the best on 3" icy hard-pack topped with 6" of slush/snow however... The antislip stuff seemed to do nothing on that combo... I miss my bliztek tires on my '02 tdi I traded in . Also nice in the snow: the electric assist heater in the AC unit. Gets warm fast!
    The interior feels like an Audi... (minus leather... of which I'm not a fan anyways) Nice job VW. The iPod interface is a bit flaky when leaving an iPhone plugged in between turning the car off and then on again a few minutes later (It gets confused between BT audio streaming and the MDI dock connector... ) Generally though, it's a pretty brilliant integration... much better than the aftermarket one my roommate got in his truck... It's only slow with the iPod when scrolling by dragging the scrollbar. But otherwise it's very uncluttered, complete, intuitive and nicely matches all the other instrumentation.

Only complaints so far:
    1) The rather cute-sie Toyota sounding horn. Not sure if this is just the sound it makes when arming the alarm or not... as I've only used the real horn once. I think it was louder when using it via the steering wheel, but I'm not entirely sure. . (Epidemic of drivers deciding to turn in front of me on red without looking despite the slick conditions. People. *sigh*)
    2) Unlocking remotely is just as touchy as it was on the MKIV for opening the trunk and unlocking doors other than the drivers side. (Double click and press and hold not the best tech for a key fob. )

Other differences from the MKIV I've only seen mentioned in one review:
    1) No internal trunk release... but unlocking the car suffices for external access.
    2) No internal Fuel tank release... I like this better, since on the MKIV this was the ONLY way to open the fuel cap and I was always forgetting to pop this. Now you just push in on the fuel door and it pops out.
    3) Back windows also have an Auto Roll up and Down feature, in addition to the front windows.
    4) AC vent in the glove box. (Remember this vaguely from a Passat ad a few years back... apparently it's trickled into the rest of the VW line. )

I'll post more once the snow melts and I get a chance to put it through it's paces. So far very happy though. Much improved from the MkIV TDI I with slushbox that I traded in. Power when you want it... and fuel economy most of the time. Finally an aux-in / ipod integration as well!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    as you might guess from my "name", I understand the frustration of not being able to get a stick in every model.

but, VW obviously knows their customers, and they aren't going to be giving up many sales. You might not buy, but likely, there arent too many others like you.

my guess? The 4 door 2.5 is the "boring family truckster" model, and that traditionally gets sold overwhelmingly with an AT.

sadly, these days, most of the stick buyers either get the cheapee strippo models, or the bigger engined sport models. So, you want a clutch, you get the turbo or a 2 door.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    bingosabi, thanks for posting all the details. btw, i think your car is probably lacking a trunk release because it is lacking a trunk. (it's a hatchback, right?)
    I'm particularly interested in whether I can carry long skis/snowboards as well as at lesat two passengers in a golf TDI. (It's possible in a jetta TDI.)
    I put another review up on my blog which has a few more details as I've started to figure out some more stuff about the car and get some more miles on it.

http://bingosabi.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/golf-review/

The 2002 TDI Golf I traded in had an interior rear hatch release, actually... Thought technically not a trunk, that's is what I meant. Anyways I figured out in the settings menu how to make the hatch unlock with a single click on the key fob rather than a press and hold which was never particularly reliable, and additionally how to unlock all doors (and hatch) when removing the key from the ignition.

I'll try to pull my ski's out later today and try it out. There is a pass through to the "trunk" area in the center "seat" I'm sure it's enough room to allow for two adults in the back and some snowboards.. nordic ski's might be too long to fit however... (What I intent to test later for ya.)
This discussion has been closed.