Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Frame Rust

Comments

• bbrown55bbrown55 Member Posts: 16
    I did speak with mr. Reinhardt...he was SUPPOSED to call me back......that was a while aho - I have called again, again, again.....you get the picture - waiting on the LONG re call process - write to isuzu - take pictures - get a quote on repairs (we had to repair - we owed $$ on the car) send them to Reinhardt and ISUZU - they have to be detailed information and if EVERYone does it - we stand a chance at a recall....BUT IT MUST BE DONE - Reinhardt said that people give up and don't do the process and in order for a recall all steps need to be done by the throngs who are uspet.

bbrown
  • hogtied2rodeohogtied2rodeo Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any luck filing a claim and getting reimbursed with their insurance company? Are some insurance companies more likely to pay than others?
  • marinakymarinaky Member Posts: 64
    The recall will take time. The part on my vehicle and all the others that has rusted is the frame which holds the control arm to the rear driver's side. The more people who send the info to Derek Reinhardt, the better off we all will be. Unless you file a questionable claim, the insurance company will not pay for rust damage. I am getting e mails from car complaint and auto beef web sites of others who have the same issue as we do. Everyone has had the same component rust. There have been accidents. There have been a lot of near accidents, as in my case and so many others. The California BBB responded to me with Honda's response a few weeks ago, they are no help either. Honda still denies responsibility. Ford just issued a recall for vehicles as old as 1993. Honda is still maintaining that these are out of warranty. Well, the warranty is not the issue. The safety factor is the issue. The fact that these vehicles are failing after 6+ years is the issue. The biggest issue is that the same component on all the vehicles is rusting off of them. The frames are swiss cheese. This is a safety hazard, which goes beyond warranty. Honda. Isuzu are responsible for this. The American vehicle companies are stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility for their issues, but the Japanese companies are not. Toyota did a few years back with the Tacoma, and they were well out of warranty. Why won't Honda and Isuzu do the right thing? Everyone, send your info to Derek Reinhardt. This is not an instant fix but we will be heard. We have a legitimate problem and we will not go away. The fact that bbrown spoke to Mr. Reinhardt is encouraging. I hae sent him several e mails but have had no response. And I am the one who posted the letter he sent me on this forum for all of the other affected owners to refer to, but that is not important. What is important is that ultimately Honda and Isuzu will end up having to issue a recall. And we can all rejoice and know we did the right thing by pursuing this and not giving up. Thanks to all of you who have written to Derek and sent your photos, it really does help everyone.
  • hbriggshbriggs Member Posts: 8
    I am local to Worcester as well. My rodeo is a 2001 w/ 50k!! Total rot underneath, I lost control of my vehicle to find the torque bar rotted off the vehicle. I filed a complaint about a year ago w/ the NHTSA and sent pics as well. I know there is an open investigation but from what I was told, it can take up to 2 yrs for the investigation to be finalized.....until then I have the vehicle just sitting in my driveway rotting away...so frustrating!!
  • suzanne10suzanne10 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you so much for posting this information. I just submitted my claim to the NHTSA and will be emailing Mr. Rinehardt my survey and photos. After speaking with Mr. Rinehardt, he urged me to also file complaints with Honda and Isuzu directly. The more data that is out there, the stronger our case becomes since Isuzu is required by law to submit their record of complaints on this vehicle to the NHTSA.
    Like all of you my 2001 Honda Passport frame is completely rusted. My mechanic indicated that the trailing arm on the drivers side is weak right at the stress point. A pot hole or stopping too hard could cause it to break. (and I am hauling 3 children in this car!!!!)
    I am thinking about contacting the media. I need to get the word out to more owners about the dangers of this car. Any lawyers out there with any advice?
    Here is Derek's info people. PLEASE call/email/fax Derek your info, complaints and pictures!!!! Someone is going to die before they recall these vehicles!!!!!

Derek L. Rinehardt
    Safety Defects Engineer / Federal Investigator
    U.S Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigation, Vehicle Controls Division
    1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
    W48-219, NVS-213
    Washington, DC 20590
    Office: (202) 366-3642, (877) 536-8368 x63642
    Fax: (202) 366-1767
    Email-Derek.Rinehardt@dot.gov
  • lboydlboyd Member Posts: 8
    Mr. Rinehardt told me that I did not need to keep my Isuzu, that as long as I had the paperwork and pictures of the vehicle I can ditch it.... Is this not the case???
    I tried contacting the media, we have a trouble shooter here in Louisville on one of the local stations. She e mailed me back once, but I never heard from her again. Actually I contacted her twice, but she didn't get back to my second e mail. The recall can take up to 2 years, but the more people who complain and submit supporting and detailed information, the better off we will be. The guys I spoke to at Honda America in California were Tony Lopez, then a Brian Philbin, both of whom told me that I was the first Passport owner with this complaint. This was in February, after my near accident. I called back numerous times, and never got anywhere with them, they were not helpful and I even e mailed my pictures to them, but they did not care a bit. I have all this posted on AutoBeef and also carcomplaints, but Edmunds has proved to be the best as far as contact with other Rodeo and Passport owners being able to interact. As for the following post with the question about whether we need to keep the vehicles, that I do not know. Since so many of you have actually spoke to Mr. Rinehardt, and I was the one who posted the letter on this site, I guess I should try that also and see what I can find out, keep posting updates for us all. Insurance questions should go to your insurance company, and if anyone finds anything out about that, let us know. Unfortunately, since my Passport has been parked since March or April, we dropped the insurance on it, since it is just sitting in the driveway, gathering dust.
    Has anyone considered blasting this information all over Facebook and Twitter? How can we get the word out to other unsuspecting Passport and Isuzu owners? (I am already trying to flag people down as they drive by) I found out completely by accident that my car was unsafe. And to think I was planning on keeping this car another 2 years atleast. One autobody shop advised me that the car probably won't make it through the winter. How can we get the word out to other owners while bringing negative attention to Honda/Isuzu? I have contacted my local automotive reporter, but I haven't heard yet whether he will run a story or not. I am afraid there aren't enough of these vehicles on the road to make this a big story. (their opinion, not mine!) Any ideas?
    I don't know what to do. I talked to Reinhardt - twice - but now he does not call or reply to e mails....everyone is aware that this car is trash and why they won't push through the recall.....I do not know - media would be great - just ask them to looked at the message board - call Reinhardt - e mail ....it is terrible that they are getting away with "murder"....maybe they already have....
    Dear bbrown55,
    I too am completely frustrated. If you would like to talk directly via email (or I'll give you my #) you can reach me at @ sterling6243@sbcglobal.net. That goes for anyone out there in the forum too. It would be nice to talk to someone directly who is going through this. I think my family, friends and neighbors are getting a little sick of hearing about it. Their attitude is well, "get a new car." They only feel the pain and injustice from afar. Anyway, if you need to talk just let me know. I know I need to.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum, not so much when you take it to email.
    I am so sorry. I didn't mean to take anything away from the forum or step out of line. I am kinda new to these things. I just wanted to offer support to someone who sounds as equally frustrated as I am and to offer and get support on a personal basis. I am one who just found out about my Passport and my emotions are riding high.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No biggie - it's just that we get a lot of lurkers who don't want to post for whatever reason, and they appreciate the info from the ones who do post.
    When my Passport did this to me, back in 01/09, I was overwhelmed and had no where to turn to either Suzanne. I combed the internet looking for something, anything, and found info on auto beef, and actually befriended a person on there and we are now facebook and e mail friends. She had posted her problem, and because it was identical to mine (and now all of ours), I felt I had found someone to talk to about it. I have made so many calls to Honda, gotten the run around, been treated like dirt by them, it was unbelievable. Then I started looking around more and more, and found Edmunds and found more and more people with this same issue. Look back at my previous posts and you will see the letter from Derek Rinehardt, follow those instructions and send your info in to him. I also have not heard from him, but send him all my info and 30+ photos via certified mail. So, I do understand. Right now, you are just frustrated because it is a new problem for you. We have been living with the poor Passport for nearly a year, so I am at the wait and see stage, past the "I'm gonna tear someone apart from Honda" stage.
    I was thinking facebook too. We could start a page and try to get it out there!!
    I want everyone to know...I have started a group on facebook called "Recall Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passports" it's under (common interest) PLEASE join....hopefully we can get word out to other owners and hopefully save someones life!!
    my email- heatherflower75@aol.com.
    cannot find it, and I have looked. can you give me better info on this to find it on facebook? I do want to job. sis2brat@aol.com
    maybe try doing a search for "isuzu"....the page should pop up. it's under "groups-common interest".
    I can't find which group on facebook - I tried :( - more than one common interest group on Isuzu
    OK, someone kindly sent me the link on facebook and I joined. Now what? I contacted the trouble shooter in Louisville AGAIN, and AGAIN no response. That is pretty sad. I wonder if we contacted a magazine like CAR AND DRIVER or something like that if they would publish it. Any ideas on that? We could send a LETTER TO THE EDITOR and if a bunch of us did it at the same time, maybe something would be published somewhere.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    "Car and Driver" will not publish an article overly critical of potential advertisers. "Autoweek" may and "Consumers Report" is probably your best bet. I am involved with a class action lawsuit against Ford concerning '96-'99 SHO engines that has been on-going for 5 years and the end is still not in sight. Legal action will not be timely. The only publication I have seen with any mention of the SHO issues is "Autoweek".

If you start a list of affected vehicles, include the VIN in your data.

My sons Rodeo has over 100k miles and no sign of rust. There is something unique about some suspension parts that might be identified by construction sequence.
    I flagged down a Rodeo driver the other day at a stop light. I proceeded to frantically explain about the rust problems and the federal investigation in the short time we waited for the light to change. She must have thought I was crazy, but I felt better knowing I tried to warn someone about this dangerous situation. My new idea is to type up a a sheet with all the pertinent information and keep a stack of them in my car. (description of the problem, pictures of my car, NHTSA website, Facebook website and Edmunds forum website, of course!) This way I can either leave the sheet on parked vehicles or just hand them to the drivers I flag down. I have seen a bunch Passports and Rodeos lately, and I feel I must do something to alert these drivers.
  • musket23musket23 Member Posts: 1
    I had to take my rodeo into the shop because someone had slammed their door into my bumper. Should have been a simple fix, right? Well when they looked at it they discovered what everyone on this board already knows, RUST! well they asked me questions like: Do you tow a boat in the ocean alot? or Did you leave this submerged in water for a long period of time? My answer to both was no. I just called Isuzo corporate and the "opened a case" for me. Next I am going to NHSTA to submit a complaint. Joined up to the FB group. What else can I do?
    Check out the following link. Toyota is recalling 2000-2003 Tundras in the "salt states" due to rust on the frames. However, it doesn't appear as though the vehicles are a total loss like ours. Apparently, the spare tires could detach from the frame and cause a hazard to other drivers. I am pretty sure my rear axle breaking loose and my loss of control might cause a hazard to other drivers as well.
    http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=11569196
  • alannhalannh Member Posts: 8
    We got our 97 RODEO in 2005, second owner in Show Room condition with the exception of a half dollar surface rust spot on the upper right hand side of the tailgate and looks as good today as it did then, maintained to the 9's. Aware of frame problems when we bought it we had the frame "Tweeked" at annual inspection, so far these repairs have been to the front end, a hole here and there and shock and bumper supports. With a recent coolant problem we noticed a rusted transmission cross member, 8 bolts and an easy fix if we can find one.
    Love this truck, every option with 160 K miles, just can't "Trust It" with the frame thing so we bought a "JEEP", Please forgive me.

AlanNH
    Yes, Toyota and Ford will recall vehicles as old or older than our Rodeos and Passports, but Honda and Isuzu are sitting on their butts and not doing anything about the vehicles that are causing accidents. Not sure what the difference it, other than the fact that Honda and Isuzu will still not own up to the fact that frame rust is much more serious and deadly and a bigger safety hazard than rust on a tire mount. If our vehicles had the Toyota badge, you can bet the recall would have been issued years ago. My husband is talking about parting out the Passport, apparently the engine is worth $2500. Seems terrible to do this to a vehicle that ran like a champ, but since it has been sitting in the driveway since last April, it may be the right thing to do. At least we can recoup some $ out of it. :sick: I miss my Passport. I know it is just a vehicle, but there are a lot of memories associated with it. Now that the cold weather is back and snow is on the ground, I sure could use that 4 wheel drive!
    Just parted with my beloved Passport yesterday. A dealership gave us $2000 as a trade. Wish I had demanded atleast $2500 for the engine. Ours had only 65K Now I am left wondering if we will still be compensated if there is a recall. The saga continues...
    To file a Safety Complaint with NHTSA have your VIN # ready and go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov and "click on" File a complaint about your vehicle or child safety seat,
    part way down on the left hand side and go through the steps, Im "Puter Stupid" and it only took me about 20 minutes to complete. After you "submit" your complaint you'll recieve confirmation by e-mail with a confirmation number, a direct link to your complaint and phone numbers, probably with really bad music and a killer "Hold Button". What else to we have to do, we can't go anywhere with our Rodeo's and Passport's.
    Merry Christmas Everyone
    By trading your Passport you got nothing for your money other than another vehicle to drive, not what you expected, just what you could afford and all is not lost. Parting out a vehicle but any of us is not an option. Consider strangers at your home taking this part and that part for an agreed price and taking more. We're not in the salvage business and really have no idea what we're doing, "They want the engine and we don't have a hoist so it's OK to "Sledge Hammer" the grill and fenders to get it out, "Say DDAA For Me".
    I"m new to this forum as many are and and I do not believe that we have to set up accounts at Facebook that none of us can find, call the media or Road & Track Magazine, why not try the "KISS SYSTEM", Keep It Simple Stupid.
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov and have your VIN # ready wether you still have the vehicle or not and at Description tell them the "How's and Why Nots".
    Suzanne10, stay in your vehicle at the "Stop Light" cause you might be run over by a frame rotted out of control Passport or Rodeo.
    I have gone to nhtsa, filed 2 complaints with them before I received a claim number. I called Honda, have a claim filed with them. I am the one who posted the letter to Derek Reinhardt on this web site so the other affected owners could submit their information and help with the possible recall.
    Keep it simple? How do we keep it simple when a recall may take up to five years, and these vehicles are sitting parked in our driveways. Nothing simple about the fact that Honda and Isuzu did a job on us.
    Filing with nhtsa is not the end, so if that is your KISS system, better take the next step.
    I think an automotive magazine would have a field day with this. Especially considering the fact that they are denying any safety issue, when it clearly is one. Earlier this year, Honda was running ads on TV about their vehicles being on the road for 20 years, then Passport owners started calling them, and the ad was pulled after being questioned about what vehicles were still out there. Interesting the power of the people. I was one of those people who asked Tony Lopez about the TV ads and false advertisement.
    This forum is to talk about the issues and come up with suggestions, recommendations and helpful info for the other Passport and Rodeo owners. Not to make us feel like idiots. Thanks for your input.
    Parting out the vehicle would be a way to recoup some of our lost money. I reiterate that point. No one in their right mind would take a sledge hammer to the grill. That is just silly. The engines are bolted in, not held on by something in the grill. And I believe that engines are lifted out through the hood, not through the fenders, at least not any vehicle I have ever seen an engine job done one. Sure you got a Passport?
    Suzanne10, sorry about the Passport, but so glad you got a new and safe vehicle.
    I never implied that anyone in this Forum was an idiot and if that were the case then I'd have to be one too for being here in the first place, wouldn't I ? marinaky you are 100% correct about The Forum being for suggestions, recommendations and helpful information for those of us that are victims of the frame rust on our Rodeo's and Passport's and I apologize if you missed my point. If forgiven by all I would like to pass on helpfull information of my own experience of "Parting Out" a vehicle in an attempt to recoup some of my cost.
    The day the add hit the newspaper that the vehicle was being "Parted Out" the phone began to ring at all hours asking if I had this and that and what the part numbers were, part numbers? Then they start showing up with a "Song & Dance" about how far they had come and it's not really what they need but will take it for half what I was asking and it goes on and on, as I said, we're not in the salvage business. marinaky you are correct again, the engine is unbolted from the frame and removed through the hood opening if and engine hoist is available and if one is not on site will have to be removed manually by jacking it up from the bottom and removing it by taking out the grill or removing a fender and fender well, the sledge hammer thing was a joke unless the seller is not there to witness the removal of the engine.
    Way too much aggravation for what it was worth.
    "The aggravation that is way to much for what it was worth" were the phone calls to Honda American I made when my Passport died. Never have I been treated so badly by a member of a corporation, or anyone else, for that fact.
    I believe that the bottom line is that all of us want one thing, to be successful in a recall on these vehicles. To be compensated for the loss of our vehicles. To protect other Passport and Rodeo drivers. To have Honda and Isuzu admit that they were wrong, that this is a safety issue, not just for the drivers and passengers but for others on the road who could be injured if one of these vehicles lost control and plowed into another car. The fact that each and every one of the Passports and Rodeos have the exact same piece that has rusted off, that all these vehicles have frames riddled with rust is unacceptable. That so many of us were driving the vehicles when this happened, but were luckily going at a low rate of speed when this occurred, thus no one was seriously injured. Yet. YET. Because there is someone out there driving a Passport or Rodeo, someone who has no reason to doubt their vehicle's safety or stability, someone who has no reason to look at Edmunds Forum for rust issues, and that unsuspecting driver is going to be involved in a big accident, possibly a fatality, and then, and only then, will the nhtsa, the BBB and the federal invesigator take this to the next level. That was Suzanne10's concern, that has been my concern all along, that is the concern of many of us partaking in this forum. Someone or someone's family will die, and then the word will get out. We are aware of the situation, we have the photos to prove the rust problem and we have experienced the moment our vehicles failed us. Meanwhile, we sit and wait.
    If a news station trouble shooter would cover this, the information would reach so many more people. If an automobile magazine would do a story on this, many more people would be reached, either by reading it or by word of mouth.
    When I first started looking into this after my Passport failed on me, I contacted Honda America in California. Tony Lopez from Honda America personally told me "yes, we know there is a problem, but when only thousands of vehicles are involved, and millions were made, we do not consider it to be an issue". This statement was made after denial after denial of any "known problem". He lead me to believe that I was the first to file a complaint with Honda about this issue. But in a later conversation, he stated the above statement. All my conversations with Tony Lopez were recorded by him, I made sure of that. Whether they get "lost" in the shuffle, I don't know. I messed up by not recording them myself. I took notes during our conversations, and there were several, but have no concrete proof other than my word.
    Let's hope this comes to light before someone dies.
    And if I have to part our my Passport to recoup some of my losses, so be it. Right now it is worthless sitting in my driveway taking up the space. The worse part is that we are the original owners of the Passport, any my husband has taken excellent care of all our vehicles throughout the years. Tony Lopez told me that if we took better care of our Passport and crawled underneath it every time we did the oil change, this would never have happened. Again, that is almost a direct quote from a member of Honda America. He also told that same thing to a number of other people who I have been in contact with who have Passports with frame rust issue.
    It has been almost a year since my Passport let me down, 1/21/09 to be exact. And I am no closer now than I was then to a solution or a resolution.
    Isuzu and Honda did us wrong, and they should be held responsible for this. Ford, Toyota, and many other auto makers made good on problems/recalls/safety issues, big and small for their vehicle owners. I am not sure why Honda and Isuzu don't follow suit and pony us to the fact that they have let so many consumers down.
  • marinesmommarinesmom Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo, on Christmas eve I had just dropped my daughter off at home and was heading down our street. And my sway bar broke off my car on the drivers side. Luckily I got the car stopped. I called my son-in-law and he came to help me. He was shocked when he looked under my car. He said omg! I said what's wrong?? He said no wonder the sway bar broke the frame of your car is so rusted its a wonder you didn't get killed driving this thing!

Now I'm stuck with a car that is beyond repair and I can't afford to buy another one.
    My son-in-law took lots of pictures of the bottom of my car, I was so shocked when I seen them I just started crying. Because knowing I had been driving my daughters and my grandbaby around in this death trap! We all need to do something BEFORE someone get's killed!
    Marinesmom, you have experienced what we have all experienced. I am grateful that you and your family were not injured. It is a very scary experience. Especially with a baby in the car. Now you need to follow the steps to report the problem. If you go through this forum, you will see that you need to contact the nhtsa, if no response contact them again until they give you a claim #. Call Isuzu and tell them, file a claim with them and keep all this info in one place with your photos so you can access it. Get a claim # from Isuzu. Then find my letter to Derek Rinehardt, copy and paste it, answer the questions and send a copy of your photos and your paperwork to him. Keep in touch through this forum, and let us know if you need any help with anything. I am glad you found this forum, took me a while to go from carcomplaints to auto beef to this one where I can actually talk to other owners who have experienced what I did. My vehicle was welded, but I don't trust it and it has been sitting since last year in the driveway.
    Since this just occurred, you will be upset, bitter, mad, grateful you were going slow, wondering what would have happened if???...so many emotions will just go through your head. I remember it like it was yesterday. I don't know why we are so emotionally attached to our vehicles, but we are. We are here for you. Let us know your progress and if you need help with anything in the contact process. Good luck. M
    Thank you Marinaky I plan on filing a report today. I got all the info and I'm ready to fight! I'm also going to send all this info to Fox news and CNN also. maybe one of them will help us. Our childrens safety should always come first and this company doesn't seem to care! We could have been killed in this car because of a rusted frame and broken sway bar!

And what I think is really scary is that as I read this forum, most of these car were 2001, and the same bar broke on the same side and all our frames are rusted! This is no freak accident!
  • tcbeardtcbeard Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone gathered any info on what it would take to file a class action lawsuit?
    marinaky it is and has been a "buyers beware world " for quite some time and with the internet it's easy to research the downfalls of any vehicle that we indend to buy and it only take a few minutes. I was aware of frame issues on the Rodeo before we bought it and they have been addressed as they arise, a few bucks here and a few bucks there by our qualified mechanics. Im just learning about Passport frame problems from this Forum and I don't know anything about them or what the difference between the two frames might be and was wondering if a preventive maintenance program by the owner's of Passports may have helped ?
    You seem to be sending concerned members of this Forum off in any number of different directions, there is power in numbers so, shoulden't we all be going to the same place instead of running around like "chickens with our heads cut off" ?
    Alannh, I am somewhat baffled by the tone of your posts. It's...well...a little antagonistic. Why are you putting so much energy into what feels like squabbling between you and Marinaky over strategy? She has put considerable time and effort into helping owners to file complaints, provided much needed support to those of us devasted after learning our cars are unsafe and worthless, brainstormed ideas on how to bring negative attention to Honda and Isuzu which could expedite a recall etc. Do you have ideas for us other than simply filing a complaint with NHTSA, which we have all done already? Any ideas for trying to spread the word to other unsuspecting owners driving around in potentially deadly vehicles. I noticed 2 rodeos and 1 passport today in a shopping center parking lot. I ripped up a christmas gift bag that I had in my car in order to write 3 separate notes advising each to visit this website and the Facebook page to learn about the rusting frame. Now they have atleast been informed of the safety issue and will hopefully file claims. Ask yourself what are you doing to try to warn people or bring attention to this issue?
    When I bought my Passport in 1998, new off the lot, I had no idea what would transpire in 2009. There was no way to research the downfalls of the vehicle at that time. I drove the vehicle for 11 years. No research at the time of purchase would have informed me that the frame was going to rust through, nor that I would experience a near accident because of the rear tire stabilizer bar rusting off while driving it. Preventative measures? One of the drivers in this forum had his vehicle rust proofed on a reguar basis and still experienced what we did. Not sure why you are on this forum if all you are going to do is blast me. And the only direction I am sending the members into is to follow the correct steps. How to file their claim. Have you received a letter from Derek Reinhardt, copied and pasted it onto Edmunds forum to share with all the other involved drivers? So that they too could file with him and help to push through a recall? Have you called Honda or Isuzu yet? Have you called your local TV station? Have you contacted a lawyer about this? Have you copied and printed off each and every complaint and started a file on this issue? I did all of the above. The metal used in the frames was faulty, the design was faulty, the fact that each of us has a rusted out frame and the photos each has submitted are identical, the driver's side rear stabilizer bar rusted off with huge holes from that area and the surrounding areas. My son and my husband recently went to a local junk yard for some items for a vehicle they are working on. They saw a Passport there. My son was able to put his fingers through the frame, which looked just fine until he did that. I repeat, the frame looked fine, but was so rusted that he was able to put a hole in it with his finger. This is not a vehicle safe for anyone to drive. They are falling apart, and people are still driving them, unaware of the danger. My whole goal is to get Honda and Isuzu to do a recall before someone gets killed. Because someone will. And I am repeating myself when I say that. I guess that is what it will take to get Honda and Isuzu to really take notice. And that is what we need to put our energy into, getting them to take notice and responsibility and issue the recall. This forum has united so many of us together.
    One thing about your previous note really surprises me. If you knew of the frame rust issue, why did you ever buy the vehicle? Obviously a few bucks here and there did not help as you turned around and bought a Jeep.
    Alannh, I am not the enemy. Put your anger and energy into helping us. Call your local TV station. Do something.
    Suzanne10, just wondering how your new vehicle is working out for you? Thanks for the previous post, I thought it was just me who felt that way. I am getting to the point where I don't even want to look at the forum updates because I am not sure what I will encounter. Which is too bad.
    Did you have any problems with trading in the Passport? We are going back and forth about getting rid of it, parting it out, what to do. Really need to do something, as it has been almost a year since my near accident.
    Your idea about having a printed up message sitting in the car to put on the windshields of these vehicles you see was excellent. I am going to do the same. That is one way to get the word out, and it would be given directly to the owners.
    Keep coming up with great ideas, I sure appreciate your posts. M
    I had contacted a lawyer last year, and explained the situation. He didn't want to touch the case. I have no idea how to go about starting a class action lawsuit, which is why I am sitting by and waiting on the results of the recall. I am hoping for that. Your question is excellent, anyone have any idea about this?
    Marinaky don't let these people that have no idea what we went through,or even question as to how or why you are doing this! You are doing a good thing here! Thats the problem now, people just sit back and do nothing about these car companies that sell dangerous cars! Thats why they get by with it! You carry on and ignore them. Let's just hope none of thier family members are driving one of these death traps! Because they sure don't seem to be worried about the dangers of it all!
    marinaky: You are doing a wonderfull job of directing others in The Forum along other avenues for support with their frame problems with Rodeo's & Passport's. I am not or have never been "An Angry Person" towards anyone or anything, "It's Just A Truck" and I bought the "JEEP" because I am also responsable and hard working and need transportation while my Rodeo is being repaired for a "blown head gasket", something that I'm sure you no nothing about. "My Energy" works seven days a week and taxes from that go to support others that have nothing else to do except "cry about this and that". Some in The Forum seem to believe that you and I have some kind of "Ax To Grind". I don't think so and neather do you, it's just our personnal opinions and it makes "Good Press" for others in The Forum.
    "Happy New Year marinaky"
    Alan
    TCbeard, there was a reply by 530ir1150r concerning this matter, and I only got to read part of the response,but it has been removed from the forum, it was #99 of 100. Did you get to read his answer?
    You posted something today, post #99 of 100, concerning the possibility of pursuing a class action law suit, and it disappeared. Can you repost, or did you remove your post? Your idea to contact Autoweek or Consumers Report is definitely worth looking into. Watch your son's vehicle carefully, we who have had the issue had no previous problems until this happened. But now that you are aware of the rust issue, you can keep an eye on his frame. I would test it in various places to make sure the frame is stable, for his safety. Thanks for your kind input.
    Thank you, marinesmom. I can assure you that Tony Lopez from Honda America does not drive a Passport. I asked him. I offered him my vehicle to take his family for a ride in, he declined. Imagine that.
    suzanne: As far as I know there is no "Squabbling" between marinaky and myself only two people with different opinions and there's no crime in that, if there is please let me know and I will keep my opions to myself from now on If ordeded by "You The Almighty " so I will just sit and watch The Forum untill then. To antagonise anyone I would have to "Jump Out of My Vehicle" at a "Stop Light' and "Post Notes" on every Passport & Rodeo in town. There are many here, maybe it has something to do with New England Weather and I have yet to see one in a "Killer Accident" or any accident at all, my Rodeo will be back on the road as soon as the "Head Gasket" is replaced and I'll sell the "JEEP". Any taker's on the JEEP? This is not "Anger, Energy or Being Antagonistic" It is "Constructive Criticism". Call me, I'm in the book.
    Alan
    Ok Alan so your saying your just gonna sit back and wait until there is a "Killer Accident" Before you give a crap? I hope when your driving your rodeo down the street that the control bar doesn't break off like ours did and you lose control and hit a car full of small children. I also loved my rodeo, but I had no idea what a danger it was to me and my family, And others on the road! Had I known this was gonna happen I would have parked it long ago.