Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
edited September 2014 in Toyota
If a brand-new 2011 Avalon is coming in February or March, the dealers should be getting their order books this month. Anyone hear of a factory shutdown to retool? Any news?

Comments

• kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Well, if there is a new Avalon in the works for March, I've never seen such a well-kept secret. Don't hold your breath! Looks like Toyota is going to give this market to the Buick Lacrosse and Ford Taurus.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Looks like Toyota is going to give this market to the Buick Lacrosse and Ford Taurus

kenb, you are so right, take a look below at the dwindling sales year after. Add the Hyundai Genesis to this market and suddenly the Avalon is out-classed.

Calendar year-- US sales
    2000 --104,078
    2001 --83,005
    2002 --69,029
    2003 --50,911
    2004 --36,460
    2005 --95,318
    2006 --88,938
    2007 --72,945
    2008 --42,790
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    Looking at the chart you show basically is what happens to cars over time. In 2000 the Avalon was all new and sales were high then by 04 (the end of that generation, sales dropped). Then in '05 sales were strong with the redesign and gradually started falling. If the Avalon does get a redesign sales will increase. Don't forget about $4.00 a gallon gas in this as well. Large cars and SUVs took huge hit while everyone was flocking to smaller vehicles.

Add the Hyundai Genesis to this market and suddenly the Avalon is out-classed.

FWIW I have an '09 Genesis that I leased when my '06 Avalon came off lease. Its a good car but IMO the Avalon more than holds its own. I would most likely be in another Avalon if the '09 had been different from my '06.

Happy Holidays!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    How about a quick real world gas mileage comparison on the Genesis and Avalon...based on your type driving, city and highway. Gotta admit the Genesis looks good... but gas prices are important to consider, for me anyway. Thanks.

Happy Holidays to all..........
  • mffan310mffan310 Member Posts: 7
    I talked to a local Toyota dealer: they said to see an all-new Avalon at either NAIAS or Chicago.

Also, the exterior/interior colors have been (probably mistakenly) revealed on the web: http://www.myride.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/action/Colors/series_id_int- /62367

There will be only two trim levels this time: Avalon (base) and Avalon Limited (no XL/XLS/Limited). Although the specs, photos, and pricing are mainly placeholders from the 2010 model for now, I don't expect it to stay that way for long.

There will be three new colors:
    -Cypress Pearl (Avalon exclusive dark green)
    -Sizzling Crimson Mica (Avalon exclusive bright red)
    -Zephyr Blue Metallic (Avalon exclusive; similar to Blue Mirage Metallic)

Familiar colors Black, Blizzard Pearl, Classic Silver Metallic, Cocoa Bean Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, and Sandy Beach Metallic will stay.

Three interior color choices will be:
    -Black (Black/Bordeaux on Limited)
    -Ivory
    -Light Gray

I wonder what else will be new? New engine? New interior appointments? Maybe it will be a hybrid across the line?
    How about a quick real world gas mileage comparison on the Genesis and Avalon

The Avalon has a slight advantage over the Genesis. My driving is almost all city or heavy/gridlock highway. The Avalon was good for 20.5 - 21.5 over the entire time I owned it. The Genesis is about 1 mpg lower overall (19.5- 20.5). On a long highway trip at 75-80 the Avalon had no problem with 29-30 the Genesis is around high 27s to 28. Having said that my Genesis only has 7300 miles and my long highway trip was with under 4000 on the clock.

• popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    Interesting comments. Anyone who is interested in a comfortable, roomy, automobile like the Avalon might buy the Ford Taurus, but certainly not the Buick Lacrosse, because the rear seat/trunk room is just not there.

As tjc posts, the Genesis is possibly in the same class as the Avalon, but certainly not way out in front.

My opinion is that the Avalon is not dead just yet.
    To me, the problem of room is not in the rear seat, but in the front. Both the Taurus and Lacrosse have huge (read wide) center consoles that cut way down on horizontal knee room. The Avalon seems to have more room leg width wise. Maybe this should be a dimension that is listed in standard specifications. I wouldn't buy any car that I can't get comfortable in and these two are examples, along with the CTS and XKF. Lacrosse and Taurus need a bench seat option to be competitive. On the other hand the current Lucerne and DTS have ample room here even with the console.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Ok folks, here is your chance to let folks know what you'd like to see for the 2011 Avalon:

- Color(s)
    - Models / Style
    - Size
    - Engine choice(s)
    - Rounder, taller, shorter, fatter, longer …
    - Options packages
    - Are there any cars you'd like to see it look similar to?
    - Interior options
    - Exterior options
    - Tire / Wheel options
    - Price ranges

I for one, REALLY like something like this:

- http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/03/27/for-japan-only-2009-toyota-crown-majesta-un- veiled/

or this …

- http://www.modernracer.com/news/toyota-crown-majesta-rocks-japan-with-rear-cente- r-airbag/538/

Now they WILL need to come up with something like this, but not at the $39,000.00 or higher price.

A base line and up model will be needed. Let the consumer decide how much they want to spend. This is something they already do, so I don't see them changing.

I for one, would love to see a special logo / medallion for the Avalon.

In any case, let's get started folks …

Skip
  • iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    I don't need much more than my XLS already has, but there are a few things that I'd like, if the price didn't go too high:

1. The option of a heated steering wheel. These are fantastic in the winter because they eliminate the need to wear gloves. Nissan can do it, why not Toyota?
    2. Xenon lights as standard equipment on all models.
    3. An HVAC system that doesn't think it is smarter than I am.
    4. An all-wheel drive option.

I'd also like the separate options to be available across model lines instead of putting them all in the Limited model. I suppose the days when you could pick and choose individual options are gone forever, but I miss them, because I don't like paying for option groups that contain stuff I don't want or, in Toyota's case, having to buy an entire "upgraded" model to get something I want.

As for standard equipment I could do without, they could do away with the reclining rear seats and that stupid lid over the audio system.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    The XLS would be fine. Add rain sensing wipers and a hybrid The Lexus hs? new one is nice but too expensive for a reworked Corolla or Avensis
    I'm sure the 2011 Avalon will be changed, but I have a 2007 Avalon XL with leather, heated seats and the metallized interior trim. It's personal preference I know, but I love this vehicle. I have no need for funky wood interior trim, navigation, all wheel or rear wheel drive, Xenon lights, or anything more than 16" Bridgestones on nice alloy wheels.

The HVAC controls could probably be simplified, and the tranny could use slightly different logic (the 6-speed may be better), but I challenge folks to find a more comfortable, roomy, vehicle that gets an honest 30 MPG on the road, and sells for just over $30K.

As a senior retiree who has owned everything from a 1940 Ford sedan delivery street rod, 1961 Chevy Impala hardtop (4 speed of course), 1965 Mustang fastback, thru station wagons, minivans, pickups, V6 Camry XLS, etc., the Avalon is probably the best vehicle for the price that I have ever owned.
    I have a 2007 Avalon XL with leather, heated seats

Were they dealer added? When I got my '06 the XL wasn't available from the factory that way.

• djb8djb8 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Avalon XLS with 62,000 kilometeres on it.
    The trunk lid sometimes opens by itself when the weather is hot and humid, or when it rains. When the lid opens, I hear the beep just like when I use the Fob. Sometimes I can't get the lid to stay closed until I start the car. The dealer does not seem to know how to correct this.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.
    Brochures for 07 did not show them either, but my dealer said no problem, he could get an XL with heated leather. When my vehicle was delivered, the window sticker had Distributor Installed Option, code L2 Leather interior Upgrade with code HS Heated Seats.

The vehicle came from Gulf States Toyota to Mississippi dealer.
    USA Today reported prior to the Detroit Auto Show that Toyota is launching a new version of an existing Toyota at the Chicago Auto Show as part of Toyota's product strategy.

Toyota plans 10 vehicle launches over next year

Quote from article: "At the Chicago Auto Show, the company will introduce a refreshed version an existing product -- yes, Toyota is being that coy."

Why so secretive? We here know, and I know from one of the local Toyota dealers, that it's the fourth-generation Avalon that's being unveiled in Chicago. If Toyota's being so secretive about this new Avalon (not a spy shot in sight... we saw spy shots of the new Sienna 6 months in advance of the unveiling), chances are that it's a very big deal and they don't want the Detroit 3 and (especially) Hyundai to know. They have tougher competition than ever to face. But we'll know for sure on Feb. 10th or 11th (Chicago Auto Show press days).

Lastly, why Chicago? The Chicago Auto Show has special significance for the Avalon... the 1st-generation 1995 Avalon was unveiled there at the 1994 show, and IIRC, the Chicago Region for Toyota Motor Sales (IL/IN/WI/MN) is one of the strongest in sales for the Avalon. You rarely see incentives on Avalons there unlike other areas ;)
    Recently received a 2009 Avalon brochure from Toyota. Was expecting a 2010. Did Toyota print any 2010 Avalon brochures? If not, this may indicate a big change very shortly.
    As if we didn't know enough already...

"Toyota, meanwhile, launched its redesigned Sienna minivan at the Los Angeles show late last year. But the schedule calls for a styling update for the Avalon sedan, which is a Chicago candidate."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100119/CHICAGO/100119900#ixzz0dCGDk51P
    I ran into this on autoweek.com:

"With all of Toyota's trials and tribulations, the company said it still plans to hold a press conference at the Chicago auto show, scheduled for Feb. 10 at 10 a.m. Toyota officials told AutoWeek they are "still working on the details.""

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100201/CHICAGO/100209986#ixzz0ela6dMiS

This was on 2/1, and on the Chicago Auto Show website today, Toyota still has a press conference scheduled for 2/10 at McCormick Place. I'm wondering if we'll still see the 2011 Avalon, or if it will be a 2011 Tacoma mid-cycle refresh (Taco production is moving from NUMMI to TMMTX in April - a refresh is likely)? Or maybe it will simply be a mea culpa/"we apologize for the floor pedal and 2010 Prius brakes mess" press conference with no new product, and they save the new cars for New York (no pun intended). Who knows.

I see Toyota's Chicago dilemma like this: They're in a catch-22 right now... do you damage your brand and make yourself Leno/Letterman/Stewart/Colbert fodder by introducing new cars during a crisis, or do you make :lemon: ade out of :lemon: s and repair your image by showing off new, better cars with a "wow factor" during that same crisis?
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    The comedians are gonna do what they're gonna do, regardless of what Toyoda does. I vote for introducing the '11 Avalon in ShyTown next week. The probs are being taken care of, albeit after a few hand grenades were tossed into the executive suites in Torrance and Tokyo to wake up the 'memo writers'. I don't know what the hell Toyoda is doing in Nagoya instead of being here in the new world. Hope he realizes this is where much of his bread and butter is, and he should get his bony [non-permissible content removed] over here; Lentz isn't cutting it, even with his sleeves rolled up and tie loosened in some dealership talking to mechanics (along with his entourage). Now if they can throw a few bones to the dog and pony show being put on by the politicians, maybe some good will come out of all of these theatrics on the news, like for instance some serious rebates to cash paying customers to buy some cars. The sharks at GM and Hyundai are already doing it.

If I knew the Avalon would be in Chicago next week, I'd drive the 1,000 miles to be there. I sent an email to the company asking about it and, not surprisingly, haven't gotten a response. What'll be in Chicago is turning out to be a better kept secret than D-Day was. Anyone going to ShyTown?
    The Detroit Free Press (about as credible a news source in the auto world as you can get) said today that yes, Toyota is launching the new 2011 Avalon at the Chicago Auto Show tomorrow.

"Toyota, awash with bad news, hopes to draw some positive attention with a new version of its Avalon large sedan."

Read more: http://www.freep.com/article/20100209/COL14/2090332/1001/news/Automakers-seek-sp- otlight-in-Chicago

Boy, Toyota kept the lid so tight on this one. It must be something special for them to keep it so secret... even Brenda Priddy & Co. hasn't seen the '11 Avalon like she did with the new Sienna and 4Runner.
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    This could be a picture of a covered 2011 Avalon about to debut in Chicago soon. Only time will tell!

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//100209/ids_photos_ts/r3409720684.- jpg/#photoViewer=/100209/ids_photos_ts/r1011724361.jpg
  • ntassistantntassistant Member Posts: 64
    Here it is:

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/avalon/2011/2011-toyota-avalon-gets-conservativ- e-makeover-2010-chicago-auto-show.html

No significant exterior changes, just a few modifications to the front and back. Interior dash looks redesigned, based on the one single picture shown through the windshield.

I have to say that I was expecting a more significant change!
  • themuse4youthemuse4you Member Posts: 1
    Gulf States Toyota is in a league of their own. They are not connected with any other "Toyota" regions in the US. They are a region of their own, therefore, they have different builds than the rest.
    More pictures here: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100210/CHICAGO/100209911

I got everything I wanted: xenon, LED, USB, and it looks like they may have done away with the lid over the radio controls. I am also glad that they didn't change the exterior much. A great car gets even better.
    Guess we'll have to wait until next year's Chicago show to see the "new" Avalon. I'm sorry they dropped the XLS model, but they may have figured with only the Base and Limited some of the XLS stuff switched onto the Base would justify a higher price. At least they didn't change the side windows design to make it look like a coupe. I'd like to go to Shytown to sit in one but my hunch is the doors are locked and the pretty girls don't have any info on the specs. Ah well, it'll be available in April.

Meanwhile, at least the Toys don't have exploding air bags like their well known rival - the BIG H. (and H doesn't stand for Korean. Do any of the conspiracy freaks really think Obama's gang is behind these thunderous Japanese car recalls?)
    Well the proof will be in;

- seeing one up-close,
    - sitting in one up-close
    - driving one up-close
    - pricing up-close
    - I'll be stopping by in April to take a look and drive.

I'll also be waiting to read reports online as they become available. This will hold me over until I test drive one.

It isn't as much of a change as I was hoping for, (I was hoping for a COMPLETELY New Body Style) and I think we are stuck with this for 3 or 4 years, so we better get use to it - for now.
    My 06 Avalon came off lease last year. I really loved that car and was a little upset that the 09 and upcoming 10 were pretty much carry over from the 06. I was going to wait until the 11 Avalon was introduced (just drive my s10 for a while) and am kinda glad I didn't. No HP bump (why not the 2GR FSE from the IS350???), relatively same exterior and a refreshed interior. I do like my Genesis but miss the plush ride of the Avalon. Oh well, maybe by the time the Genesis comes off lease the Avalon will be different than my 06 was.

I must admit, I will likely be looking at other cars to get this year, but not sure what at this time.

I'll drive and look some over BEFORE the 2011 Avalon hits the showroom floors, and then drive the Avalon.

I'll try and find a nice low milage, late model LAS 460 (L) if possible.

The maybe take a look at Infinity's, but will likely end up back at the Toyota dealer picking up a new Avalon:)
    The Genesis was a car I was considering, and maybe I'll give it another try?

Skip
    The Genesis is a great car. Interior is top notch (great materials/fit-n-finish) and IMO is one good looking car. However, if you like the plush ride of the Avalon you may not be happy with it. It rides firm and is RWD which makes it a better handling car than the Avalon. The 3.8 V6 in the Genesis is more than adequate in terms of performance, however not as refined as Toyota's 2GR V6. FE is very similar to the Avalon, loosing about 1 MPG overall. Interior room is pretty similar, although the Avalon wins in the back seat due to the nearly flat floor (the Gen has a hump).

Well I have the Touring Edition, and it's ride is not like the limited.

I'll be looking forward to comparing, as I do a lot of long drives (I have 35,000 miles on the car and it just turned 12 months old), and there are times that the stiff ride of the Touring model is not what I'd like. But I must admit, I'm only comparing what folks say, as I've not driven anything but the Touring model, as it was the last Avalon on the lot when I purchased it.

Skip
    I came from an XLS model (same ride as Limited) so the Genesis is noticeably firmer. I drove a Touring but that is almost 4 years ago now, I remember it being firmer than the XLS but coudn't make a fair comparison to the Genesis as I don't remember it well enough.

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    New updated look is nice. But, this model design is getting pretty old now. They have refreshed it a couple times now. This being the most updated so far.

Still a classy looking car. But, getting a little old.
    ncee,

If you like the ride and the room of Avalon and the Lexus, I don't think you will buy an Infiniti. I had three I30/I35s before they were discontinued. I tried to like the M series, but found the suspension to be too stiff and the interior too cramped. They also had them geared for performance and the gas mileage suffered. Being so enamored with the sales of the sporty G series, they obviously decided to move the entire brand toward performance and away from luxury (although the price also went up). This was in 2007. They may have fixed the gearing situation, but I am now so happy with the Avalon that I wouldn't go back.
    Good conversation here! Last fall I began shopping for a full size, plush sedan that rode like one, not a wanna be Lamborghini. Drove the Buick Lucerne, Caddy STS, Hyundai Genesis, Acura TL, Lexus ES350, Ford Taurus. Compared to the '10 Toy XLS none of them quite measured up to what I wanted. Buick & Caddy came the closest in interior luxury & smooth ride but I wanted to use regular gas, & each of them had other 'shortcomings'. The TL handled really like a sports car which was fun to drive but the ride was too harsh. Lexus & Ford were OK but neither interior was as rich as the XLS. Additionally many of these cars have the sloping rear side glass which I hate because you can't see out of the passenger side rear window for traffic. Genesis was a close second on my list but the ride, floor hump in back seat, & charcoal colored dashboard top regardless of the interior color stood out like a sore thumb.

Prices were another aggravation. Caddy, Acura, Lexus, & Genesis dealers would hardly budge from the MSRP; no way Caddy is worth $15,000 more than an XLS. Lexus is a nice car but not a serious contender to the mid-level Lexus.

So like the rest of you I'm stuck on dead center again. I started looking at the Genesis again last night, the warranty is terrific. Like my wife said, get something, anything, because nothing will be exactly what you want anyway. (sigh)
    I can tell you since I have owned both the Avalon and the Genesis that you probably couldn't go wrong with either one. The Genesis wins on interior materials, handling, and quietness. The Avalon wins on engine refinement (when compared to Hyundai's V6), rear seat room (no hump), and has a softer ride (if that's your thing some feel that is a negative on the Avalon).

Gas mileage is very similar (1 MPG less overall in Genesis) and so far after a little more than 9000 miles mine has been flawless.

As for getting a good deal, I leased my Genesis under invoice before a 1,000 rebate. The dealers will negotiate now. If you are thinking Avalon I would most certainly wait for the 2011, of course though at first getting a good deal will be tough as dealers will want top dollar for the first few they get in stock.

Yes, I like a softer ride; I don't take many sharp turns at 50 mph. Still I like a more powerful engine because here in Denver the mountain roads require plenty of horsepower.

I had ordered a '10 XLS two months ago but after the recalls began that's the last I've heard about it. I've cancelled that order. I was looking quickly at the Hyundai Azera online today, and while it's said to be a large car I don't know if it's in the same league as the Genesis. Anyone else want to talk about cars you're considering now besides the Avalon?
    edited February 2010
    The news release:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/document/2011_Avalon_Product_Info.pdf?- - - - ncid=11092

and this:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/Chicago-auto-show-avalon-reveal-153426- .aspx

I'd read in some newspaper's online news that a front bench seat would be an option but it looks like that's not true. There is a 1mpg gain in mileage and a backup camera is standard in the rearview mirror (?) on cars without a Nav system. Too bad the XLS line has been dropped; I suppose that saves money some way or another. Wonder how much of a price increase there will be?
    edited February 2010
    The above link to the article says that the Avalon was redesigned for 2011. Maybe my eyes are fading but I did not see a difference. No?

The continuation of the exterior styling seem to match Toyota these days--- stuck in denial. The current model is not selling well so I cannot fathom why they could continue with more of the same. With Hyundai in the rearview mirror I would have expected Toyota to respond more aggresively to the Genesis. But they seem to have run out of gas (bad pun intended).
    I will agree with you that it was not a very noticeable redesign, but the things they added are nice additions to an excellent car.

When I was a car-crazy kid in the 1950s and 60s, my friends and I used to go to the local Chevy and Ford dealerships during the week before the new models were unveiled. We would peek in the windows, hoping to be the first to see them. There were radical design changes every year and that was exciting. Of course, the auto industry (and life) is different now. For economic reasons, the manufacturers don't change their designs as often and, for safety reasons, I no longer go snooping around car dealers' lots at night.

As to Hyundai, I believe that they have chosen to compete on the basis of price on all models in order to win market share and they are doing a fine job at that. I also think that they are marketing the Genesis as sort of a "poor man's Lexus," while Toyota offers the Avalon as a "rich man's Camry/Ford/Chevy." Thus the Genesis and the Avalon are not in direct competition. As the Camry gets bigger and fancier, Toyota may have to rethink the need of having Avalon in its lineup or the role that it is to play. If sales of the 2010 don't exceed those of the '09, they will probably either drop Avalon or take it in a new direction. Then you will get a major redesign.
    My distant connection to Toyota in Japan explains that the "new" 2011 Avalon is a result of the obvious: world economic conditions and the need for a reasonably priced near luxury (don't top the Lexus ES) model at Toyota in the U.S. This is the same argument that came up late last year concerning re-design and nothing has changed.

The Avalon would not be a viable product if it were made as a stand alone model. But given it's made with the Camry, it works for the bean counters. And it's American designed, another plus. It still helps get customers into the dealership but not as much as a decade ago (??), the new body changes are intended to cure that.

Toyota would love to come up with a totally new Avalon, or similar name, for the U.S. market. But unit sales are not expected to be high enough in the current economic downturn to make it work financially. Sooner or later it will happen, it just looks like later. The other choice was to drop the model completely, not a good choice as it does help Toyota to sell Avalons. And a "high end" Camry is not high end enough.

The Avalon lives on.... :)
    I guess my questions are these?

How much more is the cost if they had changed the body style more?

They did make changes that don't allow them to use any of the same body panels, so why not make a bigger change?

They changed the insides a fair amount, why not change it more?

Again, they can't use any of the old parts or parts from a different model car, so what are the added cost(s) to a complete change-over, although the insides did change more then the outsides (IMO).

It would seem that by making such small changes, they are dooming the Avalon, is that what you are hoping for? That doesn't seem to make any sense.

If the world economics are that bad, maybe not making it, makes more sense then doing it with such small changes?

Again, I will be trying it out, when it comes in to my local dealer (I put a small deposit on it:)), buy I'm not sure I want to trade for a newer one, that isn't a lot newer, cooler, better … I'll let you know after I drive it.

I'll be trading in my 2008 Tour Edition.

Skip
    Does not every automaker face the same dilemma? Look at Acura with the RL and TL models, or Caddy with the STS and DTS lines. What about the 'retro' styling in the TBird and Camaro, or the Taurus trying once again to breathe life into the SHO model that died because of lack of buying interest. That's what the fight about market share is about, and it's not gonna change. People want what they've always wanted, a reasonable price for a product that's as reliable as it can be. Toyota WAS doing that for awhile, but whether it grew complacent or became too large or started building in America where the quality was not as good is the stuff debates thrive on.

Is Hyundai the new Toyota? I don't know, but it's clear that Toyota is not the old Toyota. Nor can they be. Skip, I'll be interested in your reactions when you drive the new car, and everyone else's too. For me, it's a coin toss between the Avalon & Genesis; I'm gonna drive the new model too, being intently focused on the machine & my experience behind the wheel.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    IMMHO the "retro" T-bird would still be in production if they had provided a "modern" interior. And by this time it would have, should have had, a nice DFI 2L I4 tri-mode (Otto/Atkinson/Miller) SuperCharged engine.

The new TwinForce (EcoBoost) "SHO"...?

Nothing but a GAS--GUZZLING showpiece for the "boy-racer" mentality crowd.
    Pure automotive engineering, as in building a new model, and making it work on the showroom floor was never my area of specialty, but here are some guesses. IMO....

Compared to total redesign and a new assembly line, the cost of new sheetmetal and related exterior parts, including inventory, is insignificant. Same for the inside treatment. It's all heavy cosmetic, within limits, not structural. The main idea was to keep building the car with the Camry. If you need a different chassis Avalon will not work financially, it does not sell enough units.

The Avalon is a nice addition to the Toyota lineup of family and smaller sedans. It helps sell cars. The Camry is easily the dominant seller at the dealership. But if you want to step up a little (softer ride, etc.) from Camry the Avalon fills in nicely, undercutting Lexus by 8k or more. With this in mind you keep making Avalons even at near breakeven and my guess is they actually make a few dollars on each one.

Having owned three Avalons I consider them one of the best values out there. Great cars, all. But I have looked around and must concede that the Genesis and Azera are impressive, as are several others. When the '07 Limited hits 90k or close to it my search will begin. And by then there may be a total redesign of the Avalon. :)
    edited February 2010
    I would call the 2011 Avalon a refresh, not a redesign. Looks like the biggest change is the instrument panel. I would bet that if Toyota knew of the current problems facing the company, it would have completely redesigned the Avalon to distance it from those problems, if only psychologically. Everyone that sees the 2011 Avalon will know it's an Avalon and will associate it with Toyota's pedal/acceleration problems, probably for years to come. Maybe these issues will force Toyota into major redesigns of its most popular products sooner, rather than later. Hopefully, quality and Deming's manufacturing principles will be relearned by Toyota soon.
    But will it be "to little - to late"?

The new one isn't much different, and for that reason, I'll have to drive it first, before I buy it, but I'm thinking, what's one more year (aside from 35,000 more miles on the car). But I also don't see them coming up with a "All New" (really new) design or model for a few years. Of course that could change if sales tank in general.

Of course at 35,000 + miles a year, I'll be ready to trade next year anyways (convincing myself:)).

Skip
    Just received the following message and link from Toyota.

“The 2011 Avalon was recently revealed at the Chicago Auto Show, and now we'd like to invite you to be among the first to take a look. From its spacious cabin to its available voice-activated DVD navigation system, the 2011 Avalon is bringing comfort back.”

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/?siteid=DMG_em_201002_RLA_launch_avalon_- see&url=cta