Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2010
    It's your dealer, I received mine first thing along with the red carpet. On another note, I did check my mileage today and got 26.9 MPG that's city/hwy, I am happy with that number. Oh yea, 10% corn gain in that fill up. Could not fine pure gas. I'm not sure it would make that much difference anyway. Oh yea, there's certainly a blind spot on the drivers side. In fact, I'm buying a little stick on mirror asap.
    I'm happy with my Avalon but feel guilty buying such an expensive car with so many people out of work. Is that wrong of me to feel guilty? I guess because I had a 2003 Mazda that is/was a fine car with only 59 thousand miles on it. OF COURSE, I really like the difference in the ride. I still feel guilty! :cry:
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2010
    C'mon will ya Nan. There is absolutely no connection between people being out of work and you buying a new car. Truth be told, you're keeping people working with your purchase. Guilty? pfttttt. You should hold your head up with pride.
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    Hello---Just to give you a time-line, I bought my 2011 Limited on 5/5/2010 and got the free service coupons by the end of May. Matter of fact, I now have 5000miles and just got my first free service! Good deal & great car!

I wish you well.
    Thanks, Twinb, I never thought of what you said. At least not that way. Good sound advice. I feel much better now. Take care, Nancy :):)
  • patentablepatentable Member Posts: 4
    Have about 4000 miles on my 2011 LTD. Traded in a 2000 xls with about 170K miles - which was clearly the best car I ever owned.

Question: On my 2011 I'm getting a lot of film forming on inside windows. I've been told this is normal from plasticizers, etc... is it?
    Thanks
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    My 2006 Avalon did this from day one till the day I got rid of it. It did lessen over time, but still happened.

My 09 Genesis does it too, although not as bad as the Avalon.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    I am experiencing the same thing (film on windows) and it seems to be worse than on previous cars, or maybe I just notice it more on the Avalon because the rear window is so deep that I really have to stretch during the weekly cleaning. I blame it on two things: the seeming lack of exhaust vents near the rear window and Toyota's factory settings on the HVAC system which seem to default on Recirculate. No wonder those plastic fumes coat the windows -- they have no place to go.

Don't make the same mistake I did. At first, I thought it was condensation, so I applied the interior kind of Rain-X to the inside of the rear window. That made it worse and the Rain-X is a b*tch to remove.
    because the rear window is so deep that I really have to stretch during the weekly cleaning

This cheap little tool actually works fairly well and makes that job a little easier.

Windshield Wonder

• iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    Thanks a lot, tic! I've been looking for something like that without success. It will be interesting to see if it reaches all the way to the bottom edge of the window. The angle of the glass to the rear deck is so sharp that it is next to impossible to get my hand and a towel in there.
    You're welcome. They sell them everywhere. Look in stores where they have an "as seen on TV section". I think I got mine at Walgreens, but have seen them in many stores.

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    Thru the years, mostly since 2005, this subject has been discussed numerous times before. The popular word here is "outgassing" which is just that: Chemical vapors leaving the interior material in seats, padding, etc., and becoming film on the windows.

My '07 Limited did it for almost two years until the GA/FL sun finally baked all the chemicals out of the interior materials. Apparently Avalons are not the only make that does this. What these vapors are.. I don't want to know... but it will cease eventually.
    :)
    edited August 2010
    I was wondering what that crap was on the windows. One solution might be to keep the sunroof & windows open when the car is garaged? That way it would take only a year instead of two to get rid of the chemical vapors. Yucko stuff.

The windshield wonder sounds like another typical made-in-China 'wonder'. $10 in discount stores for a microfiber cloth & a plastic handle that can break the first time using it? I don't think I'll plunk down my cash for that one.
    Does anyone know a quick and easy way to program the garage door opener in the Avalon. It's on the rear view mirror. I have not been able to program mine. The salesman try to use my hand held opener and said at the dealership, "well, I think it's programed now". It wasn't!
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    My 2011 has 5,000 miles and I haven't experienced this yet. Hope the luck holds out.

I have experienced this in older cars when I replaced a headliner or dash and I've been told that there is a reaction between the material and ammonia in glass cleaner. I found it to get worse in the sun.

From a suggestion on vintage mustang forum I tried ammonia free glass cleaner and it seemed to help. Now I make my own and is the only thing I ever use.

I use:

1 cup water
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 tablespoon dish soap.

Give it a try, won't cost much.
    that can break the first time using it?

I will start by saying I generally don't buy anything like the windshield wonder, but, this is one item that does do what it says. I have had mine for a while and used it countless times. I am sure (like anything else) if abused it will break, however, mine is holding up fine.

Had my first service yesterday and there seemed to be some confusion about the type of oil I had in the car. Everyone seemed to think I had synthetic and was surprised that I didn't. They looked it up and the 2011 Avalon calls for 5W-30.

Did the Avalon in the past use synthetic? If so does anyone know why the change?

Did the Avalon in the past use synthetic?

My 06 and 03 both came from the factory with regular oil.

• tome1tome1 Member Posts: 10
    Having same problem with my 2011 ltd. Very hard to clean scummy film off inside front & rear windows. Bought some wipes at auto store that are supposed to remove any kind of window film. They didn't work very well either. It's a pain in the neck (literally) to clean windows normally but with this darn film it's much worse. Windows weren't even clean when I picked car up at dealer--lousy prep job.
  • lou89lou89 Member Posts: 27
    I was in DeQween, Ar last week, was surprized at two brands of gasoline selling with without ethynal gas. Phillip was gas brand. Couldn't beleive pure realt gas for sell.
  • lenengradlenengrad Member Posts: 3
    Re: Film on the windows. I had this problem on my new LS 430 Lexus(2002) It seemed to come and go. I have not seen it for a while. Glad to hear what caused the film as no one at the dealership had any idea.
    Thanks much to all who responded. Good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm using Windex which removes the film ok - but - the film is soon redeposited.

My Service Mgr. said that my 2011 LTD has synthetic oil.
    from an FAQ published by a Conneticut dealer -

http://www.middletowntoyota.com/displayForm.asp?id=8&keywords=autocareQandA

The following vehicles are equipped with Synthetic 0W20 oil from the factory:

2011 MY Vehicles*
    Camry (4 cyl)
    Sequoia (V8)
    Prius
    FJ
    Scion XD
    Sienna
    Avalon
    Scion XB
    4Runner (V6)
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I have around 3,500 miles on my 2011 Avalon and don't have that film problem so far.

I was told by one dealer that my car has synthetic oil, and I said it didn't. He opened the hood and checked and said your right. So his confusion makes me think some cars come with it and some don't.

I prefer the oil I've used for decades. I wouldn't spend the money on synthetic for an oil change. From friends of mine driving with synthetic, they really can't tell me they have better mileage or anything else.

Good luck to those while cleaning the film off their windows. I have the real film that lessens the suns rays heating up the car. Live in the South and it's been hot.. :)
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    You have to make sure your garage door opener is in 'training' mode. In my case I had to get on a ladder and push the 'training' button on the face of the opener which was near one of the light bulbs. Mine doesn't stay in training mode very long so I had to be ready to push the 'training' button jump off the ladder and into the car and push the garage door opener remote and hold it near the mirror and push one of the buttons on the mirror. Worked easily once I figured out I needed to get the opener in 'training' mode and moved fast enough to the inside of the car. Hope this helps.

If you have your garage door opener manual it will tell you where the training button is located, if not climb up and look around it should be fairly obvious.
    If true, it's weird that some Avy's come with synthetic and others with natural motor oil. The parts dept guy at my dealer said the '11 Avy uses synthetic. How can I tell the difference between natural and synthetic oils? BTW, when I was in Walmart the other day I saw the price on Mobil 1 oil listed at ~$30/quart. Is that right?
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    No Its around $3.00
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    Weird indeed...my Salesman (2011 limited) insisted that the car came with synthetic...the service dept agreed...the parts guy came out, looked at the oil-fill cap and saw it called for regular non-synthetic; he said the correct way to tell is by the information on the oil-fill cap! They said the confusion was caused by conflicting information that Toyota released prior to the 2011 roll-out. I hope this helps!
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    Believe it or not, regular, uncolored newspaper does a good job of removing window film..I use newspaper after spraying the window with glass cleaner..it seems to "cut through" the film better than paper or cloth towels..
    I posted the amonia free cleaner that I used from memory and got it mixed up with another mixture that I use for something else. Sorry.

The correct mixture is:

2 cups water
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap

Yes, newspaper works good for cleaning windows and it also helps reduce the streaks.
    Thanks a lot Douglas, This does help. I remember now reprogramming a garage door opener I bought at home depot. I do NOT remember the button the man push to show me but I'm guessing it's the same way. Thanks again,
    edited August 2010
    Well I read another site today that said Toyota MIGHT discontinue the Avalon for 2012. Usually the value of any Avalon will go down after this happens. HOWEVER sometimes the opposite is true. Being in the car business for years I've seen many models discontinue and the value go down. There are a few cases in which this didn't happen. 1996 Impala SS, value went to the roof, car was discontinue, one example. So does ANYONE know anything about this? Some facts please, not just hear say. If I had to guess, I would say they would NOT discontinue this car. Unbelievable handling and speed and gas mileage for such a large car. I really like it. :confuse:
    I just read the rumor was around in 2010 too. Hope this helps.
    Nancy, I'm drawn to your posts for some reason. Maybe because we're dealing with the same stuff almost at the same time. I 'did' my opener today, programmed seemed to strong a word for what it took to do it. Simply get your remote control from the other car & hold it about 2" from the Avy's rearview mirror. Simultaneously press the remote opener and the one of three buttons you choose for your garage opener; I chose #1 on the far left of the mirror. After pressing your remote button & the rearview mirror button you choose, hold both in while looking at the indicator light on the rearview mirror. It will start flashing and when it flashes quickly, after ~5-8 seconds, the deed is done & you can release both the remote button and your chosen mirror button. Voila, or whatever they say. (Looking forward to your next dilemma. hehe.)
    edited August 2010
    The salesman did this and it does not work. When I reprogrammed another garage door opener, the young man push a button on my opener. I'll retry what you said though. Thanks Twinb Maybe it will work at home. The salesman said it was programmed at the dealership but to our surprise it wasn't.
    Sorry twinb it didn't work. :o( I believe I'll have to find the reset button on the garage door opener, then try it that way. It would be nice if I could get this to work.
  • nfcjrgnfcjrg Member Posts: 1
    I have been doing research on synthetic oil on my new 2011 Avalon limited, trying to find out which synthetic was superior and several comments I heard about is Asmsoil was consider the top, I am wondering what brand of synthetic does the dealer uses.
    Any info would be appreciated..
    thank you
    nfcsrg
  • bergaminibergamini Member Posts: 45
    How often have you seen Toyota introduce a redesign on a model and then discontinue it the next year? Toyota has had a flagship luxury sedan in the US since 1977, starting with the Cressida and then migrating to the Avalon. It seems unlikely that they will abandon the strategy of a flagship luxury sedan after 33 years. In addition, sales of the Avalon have increased almost 50% over last year. Unless Toyota themselves announces it, or it is from a direct insider, then I would consider it to be a garbage rumor not-founded in any semblance of the facts.

The current redesign of the Avalon was not expensive and so even if sales are flat, it is a niche cash source because it is basically a stretched Camry with a few Lexus components thrown in.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9HC6KLO0.htm
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I work at school and put my keys in my school bag since I lock my purse in the trunk. For the second time since I've had my car, I threw my lunch bag(with my key fob in it) in my trunk after school and got my purse out and slammed the trunk shut and immediately thought, "OH NO!!!" My husband had to drive 20 miles to bring me my extra key fob. So, I am wondering if the 2011 Avalon has changed the system so that can't happen? I have heard that the Nissan Altima trunk won't latch if the keys are in it. Has Toyota thought of making that a feature on the new Avalons? Mine is a 2005 with only 38,000 miles, so I don't really need a new car, but might trade if they have made their trunk so that it doesn't lock with the keys in it. Maybe I should just go trade for a car that you have to use a real key to get into it.
    Hmmmmm. The directions I gave you came straight from the owner's manual, & it worked fine for me. It's odd that it won't work on your car. Hang in there, hear?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    My 2007 Limited will allow the keys to be locked in the trunk but not in the car interior. This event appears to be the same as yours. Anyone have a different result?
    Tried my 2011 this am and you can't lock your fob in the trunk. You can lock it in the trunk but you can't lock the doors. If your door is open you can unlock the trunk.

There is a button on the outside of the trunk that opens the lid if the fob is close. I found a couple of spots in the trunk where this wouldn't work but it really doesn't matter as the door won't lock.

Good luck and this is my first fob and I wouldn't want to go back to a key.
  • tfeltontfelton Member Posts: 80
    Since I bought my '08 Avalon I've wondered how to have a spare key on or in the car. I finally found a solution. Since I got the car I've carried my fob on a short watch chain and it hangs in my left-front pocket. My regular keys (house, etc) are on a ring in my right front pocket. What I've done is taken my extra fob, removed the mechanical key and keep it on my regular key ring and put the extra fob (with the battery removed) in the car (or trunk). If I need to use the extra fob for some reason (battery dead or fob lost) I open the car with the mechanical key and use the extra fob. You could, of course, put the extra fob with the battery removed under the car somewhere.
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    I recently purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited in Houston with the front seat ventilators and heating. It states on page 352 in the Owner's Manual that the switches must be turned off when the engine is not running to prevent battery damage. I found this to be very unusual and extremely inconvenient if true.

I asked the service manager at my Toyota dealer yesterday if this was accurate and he said it was not. He said all electrical devices are turned off when the engine is not running. Has anybody else discussed this with their dealer and if so what did they say?

Also try to find the tire pressure warning system switch that is shown behind the steering wheel in a sketch on page 411 in the Owner's Manual. It does not exist?
    I can understand the reasoning behind what your service mgn said. I wonder if he'll buy you a battery in a year or sold? HOWEVER, on my 2000 Avalon something always drained the battery and it would leave us stranded or needing a jump. One reason I traded it in. I suspect that your service mgn is telling you the truth. We do not shut our seats off. We might start now but haven't shut them off yet. We have less than 1,000 miles on our 2011 Avalon. I'm still trying to figure out the garage door opener. :o) TC,
    The tire pressure warning switch is there but they hid it well. Under the steering wheel on the left side follow the bottom of the dash all the way to the bottom and then underneath about an inch.

Hard for me to explain but it's there.
    edited August 2010
    I'm curious how much your Avalon cost you in Houston? If this is too personal of a question then let me know. We went to dealership to look at two 2010's with 20 or so thousand miles on them. They were price around 26 both were LTD's. The salesman said they sold the same day they arrived. hmmm bait and switch?? We ended up buying a 2011 LTD without the navigation system. We paid 28 and our 2000 Avalon as a trade in, OTD (out the door) price, fees, taxes and all. We are happy. Our 2000 model had some kind of electrical problem but it had low miles of 108 thousand. Plus it had been in an accident. We did not buy that car new. So it's truly hard to say what we really paid for our car.
    edited August 2010
    My husband is going to try our other garage door today. I don't want to be one of these people who has a nice feature, not to ever use it.
    Thanks bergamini, That DOES make a lot of sense. They also redesign the 1996 Chevy Impala SS, first year with a center console. Then the next year they discontinue the SS. However, this is not apples to apples and NOT the same company. IF sales are up then I would say "no worries". I never see ANY ads on TV for the Avalon.
  • fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2010
    No problem. Our purchase price in Houston was $33747 before TTL for the 2011 Limited without navigation system and with carpet mats and wheel locks, This is basically $100 over the so called invoice price which was identified as $33631 by the True Car Price Report. Do not know the accuracy of the True Car Price Report but two other Toyota dealers in Houston said the invoice cost was $33646.74.