Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sonata Bluetooth Problems

Comments

• louellettelouellette Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same issues. I have a brand new cell phone that won't pair with my blue tooth - I have the 2011 sonata limited. ALL other phones we have tried have worked but not this one ( My cell phone is the Samsung alias 2 w/ verizon) It is very frustrating! I have had the whole radio system replaced twice, and still doesn't work. The sad thing is there is not a way to update this system - or at least no one knows how- so if I keep the car 5 years, the technology changes, there is no way to update to the new technology. Does anyone know if there is a way to update the system as technology changes??? Or where?
  • nette05nette05 Member Posts: 5
    I turned my phone encryption setting to off and mine has connected and worked perfectly ever since. Neither Verizon or Hyndai could get my phone to connect to this blue tooth system. My phone worked perfectly with my SYNC system in our Ford Edge. So I just started randomly changing settings inside the phone, and when I changed the encryption setting, it worked with the Hyndai Sonata and has worked with no problems for 2 months now.
    Sorry to sound stupid, but how do you turn off the encryption setting? I want to try this!! IT is extremely frustrating - I can use this same phone in any other vehicle, just not mine and both are brand new!

Thanks! look forward to your reply so I can try it.
  • nette05nette05 Member Posts: 5
    I have a blackberry storm. On my phone you go to OPTIONS and then SECURITY OPTIONS....in that section there is an Encryption tab, click on that and then disable encryption. I'm not real knowledgable when it comes to technical issues, so I'm not sure what that actually does, but it fixed the issue I had with my bluetooth in my sonata, and I just sorta stumbled into it.... Good Luck, I hope it works for you too,
    Bummer.... it KIND of worked... not sure what to do now.... I changed the encryption, and I can call out, BUT it won't disconnect, and keeps beeping..... I have to turn off the car and restart to end a call! VERY CRAZY.
    I would take it back to Hyundai and see if they can get it to work. My phone - Verizon Alias 2 does not work either, and they say it is the phone..... But it is brand new technology - brand new phone.... all of the other cell phones we have work in the car- but they are older. Hyundai swapped out my stereo, but still have the same issue. See if they can help you... I am now worried about any new technology that comes up in the next 5 years! I understand the stereo is NOT updateable..... That isn't a good thing. Other than the issuewith my bluetooth I LOVE my car- just wish they could figure it out.
  • val_rudival_rudi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Sonata Limited and a Samsung Impression. When I first got the car they paired and worked perfectly. Since then it is taking longer and longer for the bluetooth to connect. It takes almost 45 minutes now. I have a long commute and would like for this to connect quicker. The dealer says it's my phone and is not offering any help. I know it's the car because I always get the message "system not ready, please wait" Any suggestions?
  • opera2opera2 Member Posts: 2
    Sure hope Hyundai will update their software for Bluetooth or GIVE a fix to the many of us who bought the 2011 Sonata because of the Bluetooth and other features we seek. Sure could have bought other (with a longer track record) cars instead. Hyundai has produced a fine car and I trust they will work on solutions to this perplexing (and correctable) problem. I have turned off my encryption on my BB phone..... no change. Any suggestions? Opera
  • sb222sb222 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same issue with my Sprint Blackberry 8530. Worked initially then lapsed into "pairing failed" non-stop when I turn the radio on. If I delete device "Sonata" from my phone and pair it again it works fine until I shut the car off. Tried turning off encryption on the phone but it didn't help.
  • creditgurucreditguru Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Sonata SE Turbo that won't make outgoing calls on a Motorola W755, unless I use the phone pad to make the call. This model is listed as compatible. I can't find any options on the phone or in the manual to start transmitting the phone numbers. Other blue tooth devices worked fine with this phone. Called the dealer 2x to complain or get fixed without a reply. That's poor customer service after stopping in Svc dept for a fix to this issue.
    Consider complaining to the Dept of Consumer Affairs or contacting the Attorney General for your state as they might respond to those government offices. Consider recalls for defective product as advertising never mentioned blue tooth issues prior to purchase & salesmen never mentioned it as an issue. Wish I had checked out out this forum prior to purchase.
    Advise your friends to not buy Hyundai as they are ducking out on this issue. What does that say about other issues that might pop up in the next few years? It sounds like they are reacting to this issue like Toyota did to many of their issues. :lemon:
    Just sign me one disgruntled Turbo owner!
    What state are you in? I called my dealership and they were very good about taking care of every issue I have had - just haven't figured out the bluetooth thing. Eveyone elses phone works in my car but mine. I called again on Thursday (before the holiday) and they asked me to come in on Monday again because they have a person that is really good at the bluetooth issues, and they talked to her about it, and she is hopeful - not guaranteed, but thinks she might know what is happening.... I won't count on anything, but if this is really the only issue I have with my car - I won't complain- I absolutely LOVE this car!! :)
  • luvmyhyundai2luvmyhyundai2 Member Posts: 1
    We also have issues with our blue tooth on our 2011 Sonata. We get the "please wait" msg. quite often, some days our system works fine, other days no. We have taken it to the dealer 3 times now and 3 days ago they say it is our razor phone. Now, frustrated, I find all these others reporting the same problems. Haven't tried disabeling security encycription settings on our phones yet. Can anyone tell me what that does to the phones? Love the car, and the hands free phone was a major selling point for us just want it to work right all the time. Can anyone help us?
    So the BB has been pairing successfully with the Sonata every day. What I now realize is happening is if I get in the car without my phone the "pairing failed" message starts up and goes on continously. There must be a way to cancel out of this. She should say it once (or better yet, not at all) and quit. Am I missing something?
    edited January 2011
    To pickup from my last post, if my phone is shut off completely and I enter the car there is no pairing failed message and no bluetooth symbol on the display. The issue seems to be one of range. I just confirmed this by running a little test. If I leave the phone on in my bedroom upstairs then go down to the car and turn the radio on, within a minute the pairing failed message begins. Perhaps it has something to do with fringe reception for Bluetooth. That wouldn't be so bad but the issue is that the phone then stops pairing completely with the Sonata from that point forward. I have to delete the profile at both ends and pair again. Very strange but now that I have an idea what is happening easier to deal with.
  • wormbabywormbaby Member Posts: 5
    Is Bluetooth A2DP music streaming possible without navigation package? I would love to have music streaming but I don't need a navigation. Thanks.
  • vongullvongull Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 model. I am using a Samsung SCH U460. The system worked fine in the beginning. Now when I place a voice bluetooth call the number beeps but does not go thru. If I stop and punch the number in from the contact list, again, the system works fine. It is most anoying...............any suggestion?
  • blp47blp47 Member Posts: 5
    I have a Driod Xand it connected perfectly to my Bluetooth. The problem is that the phone doses not load down the phonebook. ? Does anyone have a solution for this.?
  • wormbabywormbaby Member Posts: 5
    I have a Nexus One, and it doesn't have any problem loading the phonebook. But I do have problem with my music streaming being faded out for .5 - 1 sec every 5 - 10 minutes. Any idea? I have the SE w/ Nav. Thanks.
  • kenelvoxkenelvox Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem, but i did not realize that the droid x asks for permission to download the phone book. I unpaired the droid and sonata, then re-paired. When the pair is finished a notification shows up on the top bar of the droid x. The notification asks to allow permission to download the phone book and there is a check mark to always allow permission. Since i did this the phone book downloads fine.
  • ken2011ken2011 Member Posts: 11
    2011 Limited 2.0. I paired an inexpensive samsung bluetooth phone (tracfone) and works fine, but only 5 of my contacts downloaded, and they are not the ones I use most often. Is there a way to manually enter more contacts/phone numbers??
    I am ready to pull the rest of my hair out of my head with this issue. Where and what do you click on to give the permission. Thanks
  • kenelvoxkenelvox Member Posts: 3
    It shows up as a notification on the upper left hand side of the screen, The same place that email, texts, or download notifications show up. Pull down the notification bar to address the notification.

I hope this helps
    kenelvox,

Thanks a million you saved a lot of frustration and one happy person now. I went to Verizon and to the dealer with this problem and no answers. I have a ford Edge and that is a simple operation for downloading the phonebook. I want thank you again.
    kenelvox,

Thanks a million you saved me a lot of frustration and one happy person now. I went to Verizon and to the dealer with this problem and no answers. I have a ford Edge and it is a simple operation for downloading the phonebook. I want thank you again.
  • hankster8hankster8 Member Posts: 2
    I have a blackberry Bold, ATT service, and the same thing happens. I can pair the systems when I get in the car and the bluetooth works (voice recognition is terrible but phone numbers work just ok). When I shut the car off and start it again, drive 3 to 5 miles, I get the massage pairing failed over and over again and there is no way to stop that without turning the car off and going through the entire setup sequence or turning the bluetooth off on the phone. Very disappointed with not being able to use this feature. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
    Go to Bluetooth Setup on the Blackberry. At the 'Add Devices' screen select 'cancel'. Paired Device 'Sonata' will be highlighted. Tap the 'dots' menu and select Device Properties. Set Encryption to Disabled. Save. I haven't had this issue since doing this on my own Blackberry.
  • samanthadsamanthad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS and a TMobile MyTouch phone. They paid fine, and I have not had any trouble with calls or importing my list until a week or so ago it started importing all of my contact backwards, meaning last name then first name.

ANyone else had this happen? I didn't change anything in my phone, didn't get a new phone, nothing, it just started happening all of a sudden.

Thanks, Sam
  • miketravelsfremiketravelsfre Member Posts: 2
    Beautiful reply. THAT was funny.
    Still can't get my phone to work, does the pairing just fine, but then starts to beep, won't turn off until I turn off the car.... wierd thing is, my husband called while this was going on - and his call came through! Then, when I hung up - it went straight back the beeping!! Any ideas??? Also, if we are having so many problems now, what happens in 3-5 years???? Or really the next time we buy a phone with new technology???? Does anyone know why Hyundai (or if Hyundai) are going to some how figure out how to update the software in the vehicles later? Most cars come with a website where you can go and update your software as needed..... ??????????????????????????????????? I thought this was a great feature in the car, but I haven't been able to use it at all!!!!
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    It might be time to stop by the Verizon store and have them take a shot at connecting. When everything else works and yours doesn't it's very suspicious. Make sure they try to pair another phone like yours if they can't pair yours. Your phone could be the oddball here.
  • skoos1skoos1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello
    We purchased a Sonata this weekend and we are having the same problem. Contacts importing backwards. Have you had any succes solving the problem?
    The problem with the names be reversed. I have an driod x. When my phone book was loaded from my old phone it split into 2 lines and caused the same problem. Thisis how you resolve it.

1st line: John
    2nd line: Smith

Now you put John Smith on the first line and this will resolve the problem.

1st line: John Smith
  • wjcolewjcole Member Posts: 1
    2011 Hyundai Sonata and Motorola Droid X. I too was ignorant of needing to respond and keep the notice requesting permission to upload the data. The other gotcha is that names get reversed from the First - Last order on the Droid X to Last, First when you do call by name from the Sonata.

Unfortunately this is just the opposite of how I would want them to be on the phone and the car recognition. Since I only care about a few favorites when calling from the car, I made duplicate entries for them, with first name in the "Family Name" field, and the last name in the "Given Name" field names used by Android.

I have not been able to get the Sonata to recognize a name using only one name field, but have not stopped trying either.
    I will give it a try, although we have tried about everything imaginable. It appears the contacts will have to be deleted by the dealer since the contacts that are in there now seem to be permanently entrenched. Thanx
  • bgb65bgb65 Member Posts: 1
    My problem is two fold.

1. Sometimes it can take 10-15 minutes to connect with my Blackberry.

2. Is quite strange, it connects with phones not in the car. I had my Blackberry in the house by the window 15 feet from the car and it connected. I thought maybe it was a one time thing but no. On Sunday when I started the car it connected with my husbands cell, which was in the house 30 feet away.

Has anyone had that problem?

Or is it just my car?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Bluetooth has a range of 1, 10, or 100 meters or 3.3, 33, or 333 feet depending on which power level is used. I'm reasonably sure that most phones & headsets (which includes cars) are Class 2, which has a 10 meter range.

As with WiFi, subtract 10-20% of the range for each wall/barrier the signal has to pass through.

So there's no reason why it wouldn't connect to a paired device that's outside the car.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I think we may have figured our situation out. In the contacts on my Blackberry the first name is added on line one and the last name isadded on line 2. What we decided to try, was to put the entire name on the first name line. Such as First Name: Joe Blow and did not make an entry on to the Last Name line on the phone. Worked. I guess more than one way to skin a cat!
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The Samung Alias2 is not compatible with the Sonata. I had the Alias2 and it did the same thing as yours. Another family member also has the Alias2, their phone with different firmware, and it also did not work correctly.

Samsung told me it was a Hyundai issue, Hyundai told me it was a Samsung issue. I finally just cancelled my Verizon contract with the Alias2, and switched to the TMobile G2 made by htc and it works perfectly.

I have been hearing that it is hit or miss with Samsung phones and the Sonata's bluetooth.
  • ken2011ken2011 Member Posts: 11
    2011 sonata Limited 2.0 w/Nav. new Droid X phone, verizon network, won't download contacts from phone. Had a cheap trac phone prior, and worked just fine. any suggestions???
  • dave868dave868 Member Posts: 64
    iPhone?
  • hyundaisickhyundaisick Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone, we purchased a brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited with the Infinity stereo system (not the navigation by LG) back in September of 2010.
    We were in love with the sleek new design, along with the fuel economy and safety features; one most importantly being the completely hands-free bluetooth technology that the salesperson could not boast about enough.
    We were advised, after purchasing our vehicle, that the service tech would set up our phones as a courtesy and get a going so we would be all set.
    Shortly after we brought the car home, the problems began.....pairing failed, address book not uploading, etc........
    So, fast-forward to now, May 2011 and I will tell you the circus that we have been through so maybe you won't have to go through it and just NOT buy this half-assed redesign.

We have had 3 new stereo systems installed. The dealership has basically gone back and forth between telling us that it's a software glitch, a bad unit, and now, as to wipe their hands of this and simply make us go away, tell us that our phone is NOT on the compatibility list, so they have no obligation and can do nothing. (This compatibility list, that is btw, NEVER shown to you at the time of purchase to allow you to make an informed decision on whether or not you are willing to compromise on the car's functionality).

Now, when first purchasing the car, we asked the salesperson about the phones working and she was confident about them working......along with the tech who set our phones up......no one ever mentioned (within the first 10 days where we could have returned the car outright) that there was a very strict list of compatible phones that have been approved by Hyundai corporate. As never having owned a vehicle with Bluetooth before, we were both ignorant to the limitations associated with them.
    (I had a Blackberry Torch and my husband has an Samsung Captivate).

We have spent more time and energy going back and forth and I even went as far as to downgrade my phone (which, btw is no easy task with the phone company after a recent upgrade) to a BB Curve 3GS. This was done after speaking to Hyundai corporate and them assuring me that it was not on the list, but would be on the newly released list......well, it doesn't work.........so too bad for me, yet again, I guess.

Through all this there are some really disturbing and dissapointing things that are going on......
    First, the compatibility list has NOT beeing updated since 2009....you can look for yourself on the Hyundai website under their bluetooth compatibility section; you can download the PDF and see that there has been nothing approved since then.....also, upon speaking to a 'Platinum Tech' on our numerous visits, he even said that this is the same technology that they were working on in 2007 when he was in Korea for a conference....
    So, this newly, amazing, re-designed Sonata is a huge failure in the technology department.
    They have assured us that they are 'working on it' but they have no timeline....so, while we continue to pay our full payment amount, we are without one of the main safety features that we wanted (especially with a new child).
    I am so utterly dissapointed with Hyundai that I don't know if I will ever even consider another car from them. We qualify for the lemon law and the magnussum moss warranty act.....so what we do from here, I'm not sure.
    Most importantly, I want Hyundai to act responsibly and inform their consumers of their technology limitations so that people don't have to go through this like we have.
    It's a shame....you can return a pair of jeans for not being made properly, but a 30,000 loan and a car that is sold under false pretenses....well, you have to get a lawyer, jump through hoops and put your life on hold......

Hyundai, you should be ashamed of yourself. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I actually just posted about our experience with this and yes, there is a limited list of phones, last updated in 2009 (not kidding)....this list that they don't make you aware of at the time of sale.....
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    The bluetooth on our '11 sonata works excellent. We have the basic cell phone from AT&T. Now we always had problems with the bluetooth feature on our 06 Acura Tsx. Since we love that car we do not mind not being able to use that feature.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    That's the exact same problem I tell most of my customers with bluetooth issues. GM does not provide a list of phones that are compatible, only the service personnel have, but you can find it online.
    See, we looked specifically FOR that feature and asked the salesperson specifically if it worked......We have a newborn and really wanted to make sure that we were 100% handsfree....it's very dissapointing that they are so clueless and lead consumers with false promises.
  • jscarsjscars Member Posts: 1
    I too have the 2011 Sonata Hybrid with Navigation. I have a Samsung Edge 4g phone with Sprint. I would say that about 10% of the time the Bluetooth connection will hold, but most of the time, the pairing either disconnects after hanging up a call, or does not reconnect when I next use the phone or the car. Basically, the Bluetooth is useless. I have talked with Sprint and have taken the phone in for diagnostics and it passes with flying colors. The problem is obviously the Bluetooth unit or software in the vehicle.
  • ahaynes106ahaynes106 Member Posts: 1
    My Droid X contacts loaded after granting permission on the Droid X for the Sonata to perform the function.
    From Droidforums.net
    "2011 Sonata phonebook won't laod

When start up your car you will hold your phone in your hand and all of sudden on the upper left hand side a message will show PERMISSION take your finger on slide it down and a popup will display and answer the check mark. Then you phonebook will load and a message will stay transfer completed. I had the same problem. "
  • laflaonelaflaone Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2011 Elantra Limited. I too have a Pantech C520. I also have exactly the same problem with outgoing calls at very very low volume, but incoming calls are great.

There was a response which said you could go into the cars setup and adjust the volume. This is correct, but it only affects the volume on incoming, repeat, incoming calls.

Anybody got a solution? I would even settle for a suggestion. Thx
  • sailpro1968sailpro1968 Member Posts: 1
    The number one reason for not buying a car upon a visit to the dealership is "we have to do our research". Apparently you didn't do yours. The list is easily found by doing a simple google search. The sales professional is not at fault here. Next time don't just lie and say "we haven't done our research", actually do the research.
  • alight1alight1 Member Posts: 1
    I downloaded the "Bluetooth File Transfer" app and I now have full access to my contacts in my '11 Hyundai Sonata