Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Way to go on the quitting. I am one of the people that understand what an accomplishment it is.

I like the idea of the 31's, my pocketbook doesn't think as much of it.

Terry
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Just got back from Camp Jeep. All I can say is WOW! I sure hope they have another one out here next year. Now I'm thinking about a Jeep Jamboree - just hope there is one this year that isn't completely full yet...

Tires - I've gone from the Goodyear AT tires that came on my Wrangler to Bridgestone Duellers to the BFG AT tires. I had no real issues with the Goodyear AT tires, but thought I wanted something a little more agressive. While I really liked the Duellers for the first year, they were much louder than either the Goodyears or the BFG, and they hydroplaned much more than the Goodyears.

I love the BFG tires! They are so quiet and they cruised through the soft stuff on the "C" trail at Camp Jeep. I noticed they seemed to be very popular out here - I think I saw more of them on Wranglers than just about anything else.

I can't say enough superlatives for the Jeep people and the organizers for the event. We had a great time. Dan handled the C trail without problems and I'm sure I could have driven it (tried to change to one but the intermediate trails were the most popular and all full).

Paul made it through the B trail (A was hardest) in his SE and has GREAT photos to prove it! Maybe next year I'll try it.

We tent camped at the Flying Flags RV Park - one of the 2 event campgrounds - and had a wonderful time. Imagine seeing a line of huge, lovely, RVs all with Wranglers (or other Jeeps) parked in front of them. Our little tent felt right at home in a field full of other tents with Wranglers parked in front of them, and everyone was so friendly!

I had noticed that the lift supports on my hard top were losing their lift, so we went to the Jeep Store. They sold Mopar parts at 10 percent off and offered free installation. As I've mentioned before, I thought the rubber on the back weatherstripping had shrunk which was why my back window leaked and why my tailgate rattled so much (and loosened the screws all the time). I had never put loctite on the screws because I thought they were a symptom not the problem.

They replaced the lift supports, tightened them, and put loctite on the screws. No more rattle! I'm guessing that it won't leak either, now that things line up properly again. Am I ever glad I went to Camp Jeep - if only to find out and fix my problem.

They were featuring the new 2005 redesigned Grand Cherokee. Dan drove one on the 101 course and we both drove on the on-road obstacle course. It is SO nice and handles SO well. I would LOVE to get one for our commuter vehicle.

While some people might think that the Liberties aren't trail worthy vehicles, they made it through some of the obstacles better than a few of the Wranglers on the C course. I was definitely impressed when I drove one on the 101 course.

Mac - where did those photos come from with the grey tops and flares? I've just spent the last 3 days looking at just about nothing but Jeeps and the first thing I noticed was the "Rubicon" badge and the length of the vehicle, especially behind the door. Compare them to Tom's photo of Thelma Jane. Interesting, isn't it? They sure look longer than the normal Rubicons.

Sorry for the long post, but I am so jazzed and had such a good time. If anyone has a chance, go to one of these.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The pics are of the new Unlimited....... '05 Rubicon version!
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    sold the 4 runner, at least I think its sold, supposed to swap title for $$ on monday.

does anyone know a website / or have data on acceleration & braking of the 2004 wranglers? I'd like to see how it compares to what I've been driving.

went to the dealership yesterday to test drive again, and they were closed, (at 4pm) there was a rubi with the door unlocked and key in the glove box, thought about taking an extended test drive!!

has anyone had experiences buying from CARMAX.com? their prices look incredible and I doubt that the local dealer will match although I haven't asked yet, that was the reason for my visit yesterday (but they weren't open)
    Thought so! I like the white with the grey. I don't think the black will look all that bad - granted, you won't have the monochrome look, but the black and grey won't look all that bad. I should know - that's what my Noble Black Steed looks like now (well, my top is still more or less black). Guess mine will look brand new next year, instead of an older, faded one...
    Sorry I can't help you with data or Carmax.

I've found that what is the most important thing is how a vehicle feels to me personally, rather than anything that is printed. For instance, I was really impressed with how stable the new Grand Cherokee felt - more like a sports car than a big SUV. Wranglers always feel so different than any other vehicle I've ever driven - they just don't compare well. If I had followed all of the press, I'm not sure I would have bought mine back in '98 and I would STILL have Wrangler fever!

Checking out everything is important - today we went to a Jeep dealer with the intention of doing a quick test drive and buying a Liberty to add to the Wrangler Sport. I had driven one on the Jeep 101 course and thought it was fun to drive. But I was so disappointed - it was just as fun to drive as I remembered, but I hadn't sat in the passenger's seat. I'm really short and I found that I would have had to sit at an angle to have both feet level - the side bump between the seats came over slightly right in front of the seat. If I were to sit straight, my left foot would be resting higher than my right (and not on a flat surface). My husband didn't have this problem at all - his longer legs put his feet past this spot and flat on the floor. Sigh. Guess I'll just have to wait for that 2005 Grand Cherokee to come out...
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Good deal, man! Get that $ and put it on a Wrangler!

Yeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Mtngal beat me again!

My little TJ SE went through everything. We ended up going on A, B, C, and E trails (A being hardest). Did not need to be helped at all (though I had to back up a couple of times and try again). There was a gully about as deep as BP Gulch, but not as hairy, and my little TJ articulated so well, and I had great lines, wow. They were a bit surprised I was the only 4cyl on A and B those days and that it was only a 4. :)

On my C trail run, a TJ Sport broke its rear driveshaft and a CJ lost its clutch going up the first REALLY steep hill (Tom, think Silo, but a quarter mile long). My TJ handled it very well. :) It used to be green... now it's a shade of brown all over - inside and out!

The events were cool and they had all their concept vehicles there (I have pictures I'll be loading elsewhere). It was great to get to meet mtngal in person! (HI!) Camp Jeep is really designed for those who have not really experienced everything their Jeeps can do. You experienced wheelers may get bored, but there were a lot of technical roundtables for all models and vendors like Skyjacker, Eaton, Bestop, New Venture Gear, and Bosch to answer techie questions.

Y'all need to go!

-Paul
    For those who don't know what Paul was referring to when he said BP Gulch in his post.

This is a picture of Thelma Jane taken there Saturday.

And I took this pic of Ross Allen and me on the way home from Turkey Bay Saturday. He was trying to give "Grandpa" a doggy kiss.

Tom

I've mentioned here (long time ago) that I have 2 rims that have a different offset. We were in an accident about 6 months after buying the Wrangler and the company where I had it repaired spent 6 weeks trying to find my rims. When I was talking to one of the people in the inspection tent I asked about what would happen if I didn't rotate my tires - I don't want to use a washer when the rims are only on the front part of the time. It turns out I have Grizzly rims and the reason they were so hard to find (and why the only pair they could find had the wrong offset) was due to Goodyear's strike that year. They didn't make many before going out on strike.

At the time I bought mine, I just wanted a Jeep and didn't know anything about the various rims and options. I bought the only one on the lot with a hard top, which just happened to be pretty loaded. It was fun finding out more about it, even if it is 6 years later!
    Paul, I am very proud of you, Dude! It sounds like you did a real good job gettin' around those trails at Camp Jeep.

Now bring that Jeep over to Turkey Bay and let's get jiggy widdit!

From your posts, it sure sounds like you and Mtngal had a really good time at Camp Jeep. That's great!

Both of you, please post some more details about the experience.

Tom

I'll start off by saying what I drove:
    1997 TJ SE

Mods I have (Other than appearance)
    CB, towhooks, JKS disconnects, 30" BFG AT's with Canyons.

I drove 4 trails
    E - first - too basic and they teased me with watching Group B run gullies.
    B - I wanted to run the gullies, but I had to go up a STEEEEEEP hill that was getting rutted and had a VERY fine dirt (almost ash-like) to get through. The Sport in front of me got stuck and had to be strapped. The CJ in front of her lost her clutch, so I was REALLY nervous about it. Got stuck because they said start in 2nd gear. My 2.5l died halfway up. I restarted and finished the hill in 1st with no problems. I was so pumped! An uphill gully (with serious angle issues) finished the run, and that is where a TJ with 35s broke its rear drive shaft. I helped move it off the trail and stuffed rags in the t-case to keep dirt out. I got stuck in the same spot cuz of the holes he made before snapping. I took a slightly different line and bumped up. Everybody cheered my little 4 banger!
    C - Easier beginning than B, but there were some steep Z turns with the same ashy dirt. A KJ rolled over on its side cuz its driver was stupid, but no damage. A Jeep VP was out riding that morning too.
    A - WAY Fun! The hill was longer than the first on B, but just as steep. the last 100 yards were about 5 degrees steeper. I made it up w/o stopping or getting stuck. Then we had some steep downhills and into some serious gullies. We bounced through them and I could hear the guides telling me I had the perfect line each time. :) Not bad for my first solo offroading. They asked how long I've been wheeling.. my response - 2 days. :) They were a bit surprised that a novice wheeler in an essentially stock TJ was doing the expert courses. There were not a lot of rocks, so I didn't have to worry about damage - just dirt. That dirt was clogging air filters left and right. A snorkel would be good there.

As for the camp itself, there was a lot of music, lots of food, and fun things to do. I went to a tech roundtable with the Wrangler folks and they asked all kinds of questions about exterior, interior, powertrain, engine, features, etc. They got a LOT of feedback, both good and bad.

The Jeep 101 was fun - I got to ride along in a KJ, then got to drive the 2005 Grand. Nice, but I don't care for the styling. It handles great on and off road (they had a special 2005 GC test drive and I flogged it, stomping the gas, kicking in the ABS, then doing a slalom at 40 mph and trying evasive techniques). It never waivered. But the styling... too Cadillacish.

What else ya wanna know? I'll have pics posted, hopefully later today.

-Paul
    that you had the Old Tomster for an instructor in off roading at Turkey Bay, and that's why you were so good. :)

"They asked how long I've been wheeling.. my response - 2 days. :) They were a bit surprised that a novice wheeler in an essentially stock TJ was doing the expert courses."

Tom

• guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    If the flares and top of the old black combinations have changed to gray, what color will the interior be? Black (dark slate), to me, is a much better color inside and out.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I'll agree that the darker the better for interiors. This will be the last car (or at least truck) I own with a tan interior. Add the fact that it's open to the elements so often and my Jeep is REALLY starting to look dirty inside.

Positive thought for the day: a neighbor down at the beach house was admiring my Jeep and allowed that he had owned several CJs in the past, and that the '94 Grand Cherokee he handed down to his son now has 275K miles on it without a rebuild. May all of us with the 4.0L be so lucky.
    Tom, actually I did tell them that I went wheeling in Kentucky at LBL. Some knew where it was. :)

But my experience there was all of about 5 minutes behind Thelma Jane's wheel. :) But I just seemed to have a knack for hitting the right line. I knew my Geometry and Physics classes would pay off someday! :)

-Paul
    Tom, I have pics of both Camp Jeep and the concept vehicles (and specialty sponsored Jeeps) at Gil's.

-Paul
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Paul, that sure sounded fun! I checked out your pictures too, they look great. I'll have to try it sometime.

-Pete
    Paul gave a pretty good rundown on the trails - my other half drove the C trail, first thing, first day. I drove the easiest trail the second day. Definitely anti-climatic! I now wish I had signed up for 2 intermediate runs, but they were always booked (could have done the easy or hard courses).

There were 2 Jeep 101 courses - a short one for the Rubicons and a longer one for everything else. Dan really liked driving the Grand and I like the looks - not as curvy and fussy as the SUVs a couple of years ago. I drove both an Unlimited and a Liberty on the 101 course and liked both of them.

They also had a number of other activities that had nothing to do with Jeeps. Such as a skateboarding course, mountain biking, scuba tank, fly fishing lesson, geocaching contest, hiking, sea kayaking, and a number of other exhibits. There was a child's area and a Jeep store (could I ever spend money there!) along with free installation for the parts you buy. Also a free vehicle inspection point (mine was a bit low in coolant, but otherwise fine).

There were Jeep people all over who were happy to talk about Jeeps and answer any questions. I would love to go again - hopefully they will have it again next year. Who knows - maybe we'll be a 2 Jeep family by then.

Now that the glow is slowly wearing off, and I'm starting to think practically. I'd still love the new Grand, but the one I would want would be out of my price range (sigh). So now I'm back to thinking of the Unlimited as a Taco replacement.
    I put some of my photos in an album on imagestation. Address is:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4262865093

if anyone is interested.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    very cool, mntgal. Thanks for putting it up.
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    Great Pictures! My daughter (11) and I are thinking about test driving a Wrangler this weekend. Do the 2004 Wranglers have the ability to turn off the passenger air bag? Or are they sophisticated enough that it won't be too dangerous for my 80 pound 11 year old to ride in the front seat.

I really like the black flares better than the gray so maybe I should hurry and buy one this year?

Thanks,
    Dave
    I'm not sure about the air bags in the 2004's. My '98 has the switch, but I know it has the old air bags, and they changed them to a different type a year or 2 later. I understand the current ones are less dangerous to smaller occupants (like me).

There isn't much reason to wait for the 2005's to come out mechanically, so if you like the black flares, then get the 2004. I can't think of any reason (other than perhaps financially) to wait, so go for it!

We've definitely decided to put the Taco up for sale early next month (we have to be home long enough to sell it and that won't happen until after Labor Day). So it looks like we are really getting closer to being a 2 Jeep home, probably a 2 Wrangler family - I think my financial caution will win out and we'll go with the Unlimited rather than the Grand.
    Nice pics. :) Nice narrative too. My pics are up on webshots. I would have liked a sunset shot like yours, but my TJ had no windows and the paint was anything but reflective. :) hehe

My pics are now up in Webshots at http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_

-Paul
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    mtngal- Great pics and commentary! Sounds and looks like those new tires did the job.

Looking at all your pics (Paul's too) makes me want to play hookie and take mine out. It's been at least a month, maybe two, since my Jeep has seen dirt.

-Pete
    Mine is still covered and probably will be until 2 weeks from now (Ensenada Mexico this weekend and Mexico, Missouri next weekend).

-Paul
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Great pics! I'm thinking of going to next years. It sounds like you had a much better time than the folks who went to the east coast camp...
    were more artistic than mine. :) My son and I divided the photography duty (I didn't take any while driving on the trails. :))

I'm still trying to figure out my flash on that thing too. :)

-Paul
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Dave,

Unless you get an SE with no backseat you will not get a cut-off switch. The new airbags are two stage, I think. So they're much safer. An 11 year old weighing 80 pounds should be safe. Just move the seat all the way back...

Besides the flairs the only real difference for 05 is the 6 speed manual tranny.
    Paul - My Wrangler is clean - we treated him to a bath on Sunday.

I thought your photos were great - I was envious of your pictures from the top looking down on the site. All of my trail photos were from the C trail - my other half drove which left me free to take photos. He didn't take any of me driving on the easy trail, he only sort of knows where the shutter is on my camera. And I was envious of the one you took of the obstacle course and the Jeep they are using in the movie Sahara - a far more interesting perspective than mine.

I highly recommend going to Camp Jeep - I want to return next year.

Thanks, keats, for bringing up the 6 speed manual tranny - I had forgotten about that. Since I'm looking at the Unlimited and will most likely get an auto, I didn't think about it. Besides, I have the 5 speed manual on my '98 and am perfectly happy with it.
    as one who drove the steep hills, a manual was definitely interesting. :) When I stalled it (cuz I was in 2nd gear instead of first). Starting up again and rolling back a bit on that steep hill was interesting to say the least. :)

-Paul
    Paul, the four banger may not be "torquey" enough at idle RPM to do this, but the 4.0 L sure is... You can keep your foot on the brake to prevent roll back while easing out on the clutch. As soon as you feel the Jeep trying to pull forward, take your foot off the brake and go to the gas pedal. The six cylinder engine makes enough power at just idle RPM to allow you to do that. Don't know about the four cylinder engine.

With just a little practice, you will be able to re-start up a hill with no roll back at all.

This can also be done using the emergency brake, but if yours is like mine, it wouldn't begin to hold you on a steep hill.

Tom

Paul and Mtngal:

Thanks to both of you for your good work in getting pics and in reporting to the rest of us about Camp Jeep.

I really enjoyed the pics AND the commentary.

Sounds like you guys had a real good time.

Tom

I know the process of using the e-brake on the hill and that is what I ended up doing. I just held it as I released the clutch and once I felt the handle wanting to go down due to tire roll, I took my foot off the foot brake, gave it gas and finished easing out the clutch. I need to adjust my e-brake cable though. The handle hits the top of the gap on the console.

-Paul
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I checked out both photo albums. Great stuff, thanks for posting.

You've got me fired up to try my first off-roading adventure. I may try to do one of the Jamborees coming up (if they're not sold out!)

-Dan
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Hi everyone -

I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks. I am seriously considering getting a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sometime in the next 6-8 months. I am definately a Jeep "newbie", as the majority of all my previous cars were Japanese sports cars. So this will be quite a change.

I was excited to hear when the Unlimited came out, as many critics said is was a much easier ride on the pavement. If I do end up buying one, it will be my daily driver to work. I really don't plan on doing much off-roading, at least not in the near future. I will enjoy the 4x4 during the Chicago snowstorms, however.

A few questions that maybe some of you can answer:

- Is the soft top as difficult as the critics say it is to take off and put on? How long does it really take?
    - Because of the Chicago winters, I am thinking a Hard Top is a must also, correct? How difficult is that to install and remove? Does it take alot of space to store it?
    - Are there many major changes to the 04 Unlimited vs. the 05?? Since I won't be buying until next spring probably (could be sooner tho, who knows) it looks like I'll be getting an 05.
    - Does anyone else here use their Unlimited as their daily driver? Any opinions on the ride?

Hehe, actually I have a bunch more, but I'll leave it at those for now. This message board is very active so unfortunately this msg. will be bumped back fairly quickly so hopefully enough people read it to give me a few answers. Thanks to all in advance for your help.

Karl
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Hi Karl,
    I have a 1999 Sahara but I think that I can still answer several of your questions;
    The "critics" who don't like the soft top are spoiled by the all-electric setups most modern vehicles have. I can drop the top on my Sahara in under 10 minutes.
    The new sailcloth tops are just about as quiet as a hardtop. The heater in my Sahara keeps the interior toasty warm in below 0F weather. IMHO, the only advantage the hardtop has is the rear defroster.
    I use my Sahara as a daily drive-@35 miles per day, 12500 miles per year. No, it's not a Lexus but it is fun to drive. And it's certainly not the torture chamber that so many idiot journalists-AKA Consumers Reports-claim it is...
  • todd_finchtodd_finch Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new Wrangler X a couple of days ago. I paid $300 over invoice, but got a little more than I should have for my trade-in.

Here's my answer to those wondering if a Wranger is for you. Wrangler is really all about fun. If you value fun when driving, then you'll definitely enjoy this Jeep. And I'm even excluding those that actually do a lot of off-roading. Even if you stay on the pavement most of the time, you'll have a lot of fun.

On the other hand, if you value luxury, no road noise, smooth leather seats, etc., then obviously you should buy something else. It's really all about trade-offs.

Bottom-line: if you value fun when driving, get a Jeep Wrangler.

My 2 cents,
    Todd
    "Here's my answer to those wondering if a Wranger is for you. Wrangler is really all about fun. If you value fun when driving, then you'll definitely enjoy this Jeep. And I'm even excluding those that actually do a lot of off-roading. Even if you stay on the pavement most of the time, you'll have a lot of fun."

RIGHT ON TODD!

Even though I off road a LOT, I have always said that Thelma Jane was the most fun vehicle that I had ever owned ON THE PAVEMENT. I owned her for 14 months before ever going off road.

Tom

I, too, am seriously considering getting an Unlimited for a daily driver. This would be replacing a 2000 Tacoma (I can't wait to get rid of it), and probably wouldn't get much off-road use, either. We do get snow out here, enough that I was once snowed in, and the temperatures at the house are often in the high teens to mid twenties. So I need a vehicle that can handle snow, keep me warm in the winter and cool in the hot summer.

I'm planning on getting a soft top only - I love the idea that you can fold pack the top part and not the rest. I looked at the new style soft tops last year and they didn't seem all that difficult to operate. I would go with the dual tops if I had a garage, but I don't. The hard tops on the regular Wranglers are pretty big and difficult to store and the Unlimited's top is going to be even bigger. They aren't that difficult (heavy, awkward yes. Difficult, no) to take off - there was someone at the campground we stayed at during Camp Jeep that took off their hardtop and left it on the picnic table.

I've test driven the Unlimited at a dealership (around the block) and also drove one on the Jeep 101 course. IMHO they are quieter and less bouncy than the regular Wranglers. In some ways I think they are less "fun" than a Sport because they seem more car-like (less bounce, more comfort). In other words, prehaps a better daily driver and just as capable off-road.

By the way, I currently have a '98 Sport with a hard top that has never been off (no garage). If we get the Unlimited we'd be a 2 Wrangler family because I love my Noble Black Steed (notice the Wrangler has a name but the Taco doesn't - at least not a polite one) and have no intention of getting rid of him.

As long as you can do without luxury items, you'll love the Wrangler.
    While the SWB TJ top takes getting used to, I have no idea how much work is involved with the Unlimited's top. I know it is longer and will be more to manage.

That said, I'm sure a hard top for the Unlimited would pretty much require a winch type setup to take it off. But that does mean you have not lost any real storage - just leave it hanging in the garage. Now if you don't have a garage, just find a tree and hang it from there. :) just kidding.

Having hard or dual tops is MUCH easier if you have the space to store the hard top when it is not being used. At Camp Jeep, those hard tops were HUGE and I can only imagine the efforts to remove and store them.

-Paul
    Hi, Karl. Welcome to the board!

Karl, a hardtop can be suspended from the ceiling of the garage, if you have the proper set-up. Hoists can be purchased with the attachment/suspension points designed specifically for the Wrangler hard tops. Not sure if you can use the same ones for the longer Unlimited tops or not, but, if not, I'll bet someone makes them for the Unlimiteds. Suspending them from the ceiling, of course, means you are not taking up floor space.

The 05s will have a six speed manual tranny as standard and an optional four speed auto. The 04s have only the auto available.

There will be a Rubicon edition of the Unlimited in 05, or at least that's the rumor (Is it official now, anyone?).

Tom

gimme gimme gimme (with a 6 speed please!)

I was wishing Camp Jeep would raffle off a Rubi or Unlimited, but they only gave away an 05 Grand Laredo (and that was a 2 year lease). But it was won by a Lieutenant at Vandenberg AFB - so that was cool. I had talked to her and her friend on the trail rides before we left that day and they were talking about modding their TJ. Funny. :)

-Paul
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ...Thanks everyone for the advice so far!! One of the main reasons I am considering the Jeep Wrangler is because of it's "fun-ness"! And also with the Unlimited it will be a little more practical, too! Even though I love my sports car, I always get jealous on a nice day when I see a Wrangler drive by with it's top off. It looks so much fun. Plus with its 4x4, driving in the winter won't be a nightmare that it can be sometimes.

From what some of you have said, it sounds like the soft top should be good enough to handle the Chicago winters?? I do have a 2 car garage, so a hardtop is a possiblity, but I'm not too sure about installing a winch system in my garage. Is it something you could take off and lift with the help of a couple of friends?

Thanks again -
    Karl
    Karl:

A hard top would have the advantage of having windows that can be scraped without being scratched. Also, your rear window would have a wiper/washer and defroster.

The hard top can be taken off without a hoist, but it is HEAVY! I believe the standard hard top is 140 lbs, and the longer one used on an Unlimited would weigh significantly more.

It's a tough job for two people to handle even the standard length hard top. I would definitely want a hoist for the Unlimited top. The hoist would have the advantage of saving floor space in the garage, also.

Tom

The top could be lifted by you and a friend or two. The Hoist setup Tom mentioned would be very easy to do. You could build one yourself if you are handy in that way, but it would serve 3 purposes:
    Makes lifting a very easy matter, especially if electric.
    Saves your back
    Saves floor space otherwise taken up.

As for the Chicago winters, the soft top should work for you to keep you warm - the Jeep heater could keep Satan warm! But I wouldn't keep it outside when the snow is coming down. The snow could weigh down the top and cause the fabric to stretch or tear if it got really heavy (like it can do in Chi-town).

-Paul
    We thinking alike today. :) hehehe

-Paul
    Adjust the rear brakes, not the handbrake cable. That should only be adjusted if a new cable is fitted.
    "...There will be a Rubicon edition of the Unlimited in 05, or at least that's the rumor (Is it official now, anyone?)..."

Didn't you see my pics a couple of days ago? It wasn't just an Unlimited with "Rubicon" on the sides of the hood!

;--)
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I also live in a cold weather area, I would get the hard top if I were you. Being able to scrape the real windows and defrost the rear one is something I couldn't live without.

Me and a buddy were able to get my Sport hardtop off. With the extra weight of the larger unlimited top, you'll probably need 3 people.