Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    the preview drives in which GM provided Corolla and Civic for comparison made it clear than ride quality and handling were superior in Cruze. Its a small car that doesnt ride like a small car. My brother has a mazda3 and trust me- it rides like a compact. It doesnt smother bumps, it crashes over them.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Hyundai says they saved 74 pounds by using aluminum v. iron block. The intake was redone to shave 30% off it's weight. The 6AT was redesigned with fewer parts so it is 11 pounds lighter than their 5AT and 17 pounds lighter than the Civic's AT. The seats are mentioned being made from a lighter foam. They even redid the rear parking brake to reduce weight.

Item .. Elantra .. Cruze
    Length .. 178.3 .. 181.0
    Width .. 69.9 .. 70.7
    Height .. 56.5 .. 58.1

The Elantra is dimensionally smaller so structurally, all other things being equal (using your implication that "every car has high strength steel"), the Elantra would mass less.

Hyundai looked all over for ways to reduce the weight. Sound deadening may well have been sacrificed, but they obviously weren't looking to take the easy way out & simply cut cut cut.

Anyway, at the moment both cars are on my wife's short list to replace her car in a year or so.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Numerous reviews have stated the Cruze had top notch noise suppression and ride quality.

Nobody is saying the above is not true but that it's just one part of the equation. I think all a lot of us are saying is that it doesn't necessarily excel in all categories and that there are alternatives that have a lot going for them too. You know, the ones that you call noisy, cheap econoboxes. With that kind of attitude it is difficult to have an intelligent conversation about the true attributes of the Cruze and how it compares to others in the class.

Oh, and to say that the features of the Camry don't apply simply because you don't like it......that about sums up your arguments.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    A fair bit has been assumed that sound deadening adds weight and I am the first to agree, especially with a thicker windshield, but just how much does sound deadening material weigh? If they have gone the quality route, they will have picked a good mix between wool like material which doesn't dry out like plastic type foam from evaporation, but is heavier. Furthermore, it can actually absorb weight through moisture retention. But another point I want to make on sound deadening. In order to eliminate resonant sounds, sometimes webs of steel will be used to spiderweb a panel, rather than allow that panel to be 'drum like'. These webs can be solid foams, such as those used in bumpers and kick panels, or steel which adds a structural element. But as I said in my previous post, there is a lot of engineering behind these measures, depending on which ones they choose. As an example, while steel webbing may reduce sound and add structural integrity, it can also impede access for repairs later. Then there is the corrosion factor. Areas that can breath, usually resist corrosion better than ones that can't.

Is it true the 1.4 is a cast iron block? If so it will be because of it needing the rigidity and strength that a turbo exerts on an engine. Not to say they couldn't duplicate it with aluminum, but at far greater cost.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    ...You know, the ones that you call noisy, cheap econoboxes...

I didn't see where anybody said cheap. ;)

You should drive a Cruze back to back against an Elantra, Civic or Corolla. Cruze is smooth, quiet and refined. It sets a new benchmark for the class.
    From Edmunds Inside Line Long Term Road Test:

"This is an excellent road trip machine. Comfortable. Quiet. Roomy. And the word solid comes to mind. The Cruze feels solid."

Inside Line
    edited November 2010
    I most probably will. I will go to the Chicago autoshow in Feb and then start test driving vehicles. I don't like to just go and test drive and waste everyone's time if I'm not really in the market. Next spring/summer is when I will likely be shopping. Until then I'll have to rely on pro reviews and some owners reports.

And you should drive a new Elantra when they are available so all the talk won't just be assumptions. We haven't even seen a test drive of the new Elantra yet and already people are saying it will be noisy cause it weighs less. I agree that it probably won't be as quiet as the Cruze but will road/tire/engine noise be a problem or will it excel in other areas to make up for it. We'll have to wait and see. The same with the new Focus. It's hard to say best in class when the class hasn't really entered the room yet so to speak.
    edited November 2010
    The solid, quiet ride sounds good. What doesn't sound good is the fact that he drove 600 miles, of which 60 were city, and he averaged less than 30mpg. Plus he had to floor it a lot on some of the long grades. I've driven that road a few times and can't remember having to floor any car I was driving. He may have a real heavy foot too so one has to take that into consideration.

Admittedly, the engine isn't broken in but it's still quite low IMO. My Mazda6 is rated at 28mpg hwy and I never have had a problem getting at least 30mpg on hwy trips. Usually more like 32mpg driving about 5 over the limit. Personally, I don't think modern engines need much time to break in anymore and hwy mpg doesn't dramatically change after a few thousand miles like it used to. It may vary some by manufacturer and car I guess but I haven't noticed it much on the vehicles I've purchased in the last 10 years or so.
    I agree 100%. The new Elantra and Focus are not available, so there's little to go on there. But, a 2700lb Elantra is going to be hard pressed to feel like a solid, premium automobile. Most would be shocked if it does feel that way when the Sonata doesn't nor does the new Kia Sorento. It's not in Hyundai/Kia's game plan at this time. They are aiming for good looks and fuel efficiency and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

The point I was trying to make is that this class has always offered econoboxes in the U.S. market. The Focus is most definitely going upscale and targeting Generation Y with a sporty, upscale compact car. I think that is great! Our markets needs competition in this class.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If I am wrong about the Cruze ECO's curb weight being over 3000 pounds, then so is Chevy. I got the info from their press release re the FE for the ECO:

More than 42 changes were made on the Eco to reduce weight. It weighs in at 3,009 pounds (1,365 kg), compared to the 3,223 pounds (1,462 kg) of the Cruze 1LT.

BTW, weren't you the one who said early in this discussion that it will be "years" before a compact gets 40 mpg? Time goes fast, doesn't it?

Does the LTZ have bigger than 17" wheels? That's what the Elantra Limited has.

Ah, iron block... now we are getting to the bottom of why the Cruze is so heavy. It uses ancient engine technology, that Hyundai finally has shed itself of for 2011.

You haven't driven the Elantra yet, but you doubt it will feel substantial. Okee-doke...
    I discount the mpg numbers totally. IL drives cars hard. Remember the Mazda3 they averaged 22mpg in? How about the Kia Forte at an average of 23mpg?

IL typically pulls EPA City numbers for their average mileage. I don't drive that way and neither do most Americans.

IL Test Mazda3

IL Kia Forte
    edited November 2010
    If you dont like the car, dont buy it. Its that simple. If you think all the lighter, louder, worse riding compacts are better than you should get one of them.

No need to get defensive just because I don't love every single aspect of the Cruze. Sheesh. I haven't even seen a Cruze, let alone drive one. But I can ask questions about it--free country, etc. etc. And maybe I won't like every answer. You forgot I said how eager I was to drive one. I must think it's a terrible car if I am eager to drive one. But I'm eager to see and drive the new Elantra, also. And the new Focus when it arrives. I'm not ready to put down my $20k for a fairly low-equipment Cruze. Not yet. Other options are available, and for $20k I'll evaluate ALL of them.
    You haven't driven the Elantra yet, but you doubt it will feel substantial. Okee-doke...

No reasonably price vehicle Hyundai/Kia makes feels substantial so it's pretty easy to state a 2700lb tin can won't.
    The Sonota and Sorento are well known as good looking POS. An idiot would buy one. Go to it backy.
    edited November 2010
    Not sure how much tin is in the new Elantra... that wasn't mentioned in the press release.
    Hoooolyyy cow, dodgeman. [blink!] Now that is not forward thinking, even if you place life-value at zero, still, for the rest of the world there are huge political economic ramifications.
    What're you dodging? Reality?

ya shouldn't even joke about such things...assuming you were?
    I was really just referring to the link that you furnished about trip from Vegas/LA which was, like I said, 90% straight hwy. Now to get that low of hwy mpg he must have been driving like a bat out of you know where. But that is possible.

MPG for the complete road tests will include 0-60 runs, slalom runs, hard braking and just plain hard driving like you say. Those, like you, I don't pay that much attention to. But when someone reports a road trip like this which is the way Amercians drive and doesn't approach EPA numbers one has to wonder.

I will probably wait for CR to an evaluation which I'm sure they will since this is a such an important car for GM and see what they get. They seem to do a pretty good job at getting realistic numbers.
    The engine wasn't broken in. He even noted a 2.7MPG improvement from one tank to the next.

From the post: But a little more power would be nice. Especially on those steep grades between Tinsel Town and Sin City. I had her floored more than I would have liked.

And that, of course, hurt my fuel economy. Well, that and a hardly broken in engine (I left L.A. with only 471 miles showing on the Cruze's odometer.) Anyway, I averaged 27.4 on the first tank. This included about 30 miles of city driving in Vegas. But on the way home I averaged 30.1 on the next tank, which also included about 30 miles of L.A. city driving and traffic.

I wouldn't pay much attention to MPG numbers until the car has at least 3K miles on it.
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    I've had my 2LT cruze for about 1250 miles now...computer says 31.5 for an average mpg. I just filled up tonight and calculated manually it gave me 30.8mpg
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    What kind of driving do you do? Is that mostly highway or mostly city or somewhere in between?
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    70% highway driving, flat roads...30% city flat roads.
    At what speeds on the highway, and do you do a lot of stop-and-go stuff? I've found mpg drops a lot over 65-70 mph on the highway (sweet spot for most cars I've driven is 50-60 range) and of course is hurt by lots of stops and idling.
    Ok, well lets just remember the Cruze ECO weighs about the same as the Elantra limited with auto trans. The base model is lighter because it has manual and smaller wheels/tires. There is little gap between Cruze ECO and elantra- the difference is you can give up some handling and quietness to gain mileage with the ECO. I suspect many of the compromises made by the ECO to save weight and increase mileage are standard on every light Elantra.
    if you can exceed EPA mileage in your car than you can do it in Cruze. He mentioned NOTHING about how he drove or how fast he was going- only average mpg. Your style may be far more efficient. As for flooring it, thats what you have to do at times with small car with less than 140hp. Its a fact of life if you own a compact car.
    Again, if you love the Elantra buy one. Why are you spending so much time here bashing the Cruze? If you dont like it dont buy one.

GM lists weight of the 1LT as 3102lbs so I'm not sure why its 3223lbs in another press release. IL says their LTZ weighs 3200lbs so there is no way the 1LT weighs more than that.

VW uses iron blocks on their four cylinders. The Elantra's alum block saves 74 lbs vs the old 2L engine, NOT the Cruze. REmember, the Cruze has a 1.4 engine, not a 2L so its block should weigh signficantly less than the old Elantra's.

LTZ has 18" wheels.
    why do you want to drive the Cruze? I suspect its simply to say you experienced it firsthand so you can express your disappointment. What attracts you to the car? Every post you've made has illustrated how the Elantra is far superior. You then take a knock at its price and suggest you will drive the Focus as well. HAve you looked at the Focus? Its priced very similarly to Cruze, although it has a few more features like dual zone AC and sync available. A well equipped Focus is in the mid $20k range, the Titanium starts at $22k+ just like Cruze LT.

If value is your primary concern the Elantra cant be beat- same for most Hyundais. The Focus nor Cruze come close in features for your dollar.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    There's a pretty ridiculous amount of hostility being displayed toward other members over... a car. Let's keep this in perspective, and try to be more accepting of others' views. No one has been "bashing" the Cruze, per se, and most people are at the information-gathering point in deciding what to think of this vehicle.

Please be cheerful during this US holiday week.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Not sure why the ECO press release mentions a weight of 3223- thats not consistent with what the Cruze site says nor does it make sense if the LTZ has been weighed by magazines and comes in at 3200lbs. I would presume the 3102 figure is correct which would put the ECO at about 2900lbs if its 214lbs lighter than the LT1. If they meant to say its 214lbs lighter than the LTZ then the weight would be about 3000lbs.

as for value, check out this link:

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_chevrolet.html/co- ntent/Pages/news/us/en/2010/Aug/0831_cruze

in spite of all the talk about how pricey the Cruze is it represents good value vs key competitors. Obviously the Elantra is too new to be included in that comparison.
    "The American cruze was stuffed with more suppression measures than the Cruze's sold elsewhere."

I am curious about this. Can you point me to where you read this? I'm wondering if Cdn Cruzes have less quiet content.

Last night I saw a TV ad stating a Cruze starts at 14955. Cdn dollars. I think that's what it said, my reception is not good. Might have said 14995. But can you guys in the US buy a 15K Cruze? Usually we pay tons more for our cars even tho our dollar is, and has, exceeded parity at times.
    in a turbo'd engine..

- some interesting reading here on why they used cast iron. What I suspected earlier was true:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/111003.html

- an excerpt from it:

"Katerberg says that the turbocharged engine is architecturally similar to the normally aspirated one, but there are differences that are predicated on the turbo system. For example, block for the turbo is gray cast iron; the normally aspirated engine has an aluminum block. There are a few reasons why they opted for cast iron rather than aluminum. For one thing, because there are increased loads in the turbocharged engine, they needed the additional strength provided. There is an advantage as regards noise: "Often you have to add ribs and structures in an aluminum block to make it as quiet as an iron block." Aluminum blocks require bore liners, which is tough when there is tight cylinder spacing. "We have very thin-wall technology—walls as thin as 3 mm. GM has made investments in the Defiance Foundry [in Defiance, OH] to make this block for the U.S. market. It is a very precision cast iron block," he says. While cast iron is heavier than aluminum, they calculated that because this is a relatively small-displacement engine, the weight savings weren't that significant ("On big-displacement engines there is still an advantage for aluminum"). However, the block is engineered with hollow-frame construction, which makes the block about 20% lighter than a conventional cast block. "

But what doesn't impress me is when I read about GM's continued use of a plastic...ok...composite, intake manifold. See below. (because of all their failures on V blocks)
    At least it is on a straight block and can get bolted down uniformly all on the same plane.

"The intake manifold is a composite part. Katerberg says the advantages of the material are low mass and a good surface finish for air flow. The turbocharger is actually integrated into the exhaust manifold. As Katerberg puts it, "It was done primarily for packaging. Partly for weight. Most importantly, for emissions and performance." The turbocharger is sized for low-speed torque, not peak power—although it should be noted that as the 1.4-liter engine produces 138 hp, or about 100 hp per liter, the peak power number is certainly a respectable one. However, Katerberg points out that its 148 lb-ft of torque is reached at 1,850 rpm, then the torque curve is essentially flat."

The manifold will be extremely reliant on the coolant cooling of the turbo, or there will be longevity issues with this composite manifold all over again.

Lots more reading in that link that talks about measures they used in engine design (sodium-filled exhaust valves etc) to fend off the heat of that turbo.

It said the 1.8 is an aluminum block.
    Again, if you love the Elantra buy one. Why are you spending so much time here bashing the Cruze? If you dont like it dont buy one.

So the only comments acceptable in this discussion are those that praise the Cruze? No questions as to its features and capabilities are allowed? No comments like, "Hmm, not sure if I like that, I'll have to see what it's like when I drive it"?

If you want to start a discussion in Town Hall re "Positive Comments ONLY on the Chevy Cruze", why not do that? Then we can use this discussion for all points of view on the Cruze--not just those that espouse how great the car is and why everything else is junk.

Re Chevy's contradictory press releases... maybe you could ask them why they'd say the ECO is over 3000 pounds.

Re weight... the loaded Elantra Limited is 2877 pounds. You are claiming the Cruze ECO is under 3000 pounds. Let's for sake of discussion say it's 3000. Add in the 74 pounds saved from the aluminum block in the Elantra, and that's a difference of only around 50 pounds. So I am not understanding all the consternation about how the Elantra's light weight will make it a lot less quiet than the Cruze. Those 50 pounds could have nothing to do with body structure and how "solid" the car is. Best way to determine how the Cruze compares to other cars in quiet, ride, handling is to compare how they actually drive.
    So now you are telling me the Cruze isn't even worth a test drive? Strange.

I am interested in the Cruze because the reports I've seen say it's a roomy, comfortable, well-trimmed compact with very good fuel economy. That is just the kind of car I like--a compact with a roomy interior. I'd be remiss in NOT driving it, along with its competitors like the new Elantra and Focus, when they are available to drive. Maybe spending $20k on a car is not a big deal to you, but it is to me. I want to be sure I get the best car for my needs, for my dollar. If the Elantra is as you say the best value in the class, maybe that's what I'll get. But I really don't know yet. I don't buy a car based only on what I read about it.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited November 2010
    Should get better milage than it advertises. I think it's a sharp car.
    However, GM's stock is back on the market and lookin' good. Buy what you want,myself I'd have to see more engine in the Elantra.Yup,if it had a 2.3 156 I 'd buy one. :shades:
    Well, the new Elantra doesn't have 138. It has 148 according to the specs: http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2011_Models/Elantra/Specifications.asp. Out of 1.8L. Considering Hyundai's 2.4 gets 198 HP a 2.3 would likely come in around 190.

Both the Cruze and Elantra are on my wife's list for her next car. Maybe we'll be lucky and win an air freshener from Conan ( http://www.teamcoco.com/chevycruze ).
    There is a $2000. difference. Our base car is 14995. Cdn

Sure makes one wonder if the Cruzes we get are inferior in some way to the USA car. If they are the same, there will be cross-border shopping only this time they'll be heading north.

I have searched to try to find the differences. Good luck to you if you can find out more than I haven't been able to. It is always discouraging when the dealer says, not sure if there are any differences other than the usual speedo badging etc. But they will check. Then they come back and say no one knows for sure.. ?
    I heard other mkts outside of USA got a Cruze that lacks some of the sound deadening material. It this true? _Don't know but will check.. same old thing..

I heard that GM now offers the Cruze in every model with std tranny? .."don't know have to check etc" :(

Why does the customer have to do all the work? Isn't it enough that we have to come up with the bucks to pay for the car, and all in an additional effort to keep our money in America?
    same is being sold in US and Canada- should have said NA bound Cruze models received more sound suppression measures. Supposedly they didnt add much weight according to press release.
    1. The Cruze LT cannot weigh 3223lbs if the LTZ weighs 3200lbs so the press release is erroneous.
    2. The Elantra's engine weighs 74lbs less than the iron block 2L from the current car. It doesnt weigh 74lbs less than the Cruze's engine which is a 1.4L.
    3. The ECO eschews sound deadening and other things to reduce weight. If the Elantra is lighter than the Cruze ECO which already has stripped down sound suppression it would be logical to think its not going to be quiet relative to the normal Cruze.
    4. While Hyundai's new cars may be rigid compared to their older ones, GMs platforms have been amongst the most rigid (and heavy) in the industry for a while now. For whatever reason they value stiffness over light weight. Most cars that have lowest in class curb weight arent known for handling. For example, Toyotas tend to be very light and also very soft riding.
    5. Never said people shouldn't criticize the Cruze. I asked you why you would be interested in a car that you have said nothing positive about- especially when you claim the Elantra is superior across the board. You never answered the question.
    glad to see there is some genuine interest but I'm still confused as to why you get upset if anyone dares suggest the Elantra may not be totally superior to Cruze just because its press release says otherwise. Several people here have noted that Hyundais dont feel substantial when stationary or on the road and that there are compromises to be made when you shoot for lowest in class weight in every segment. I think that's pretty obvious to most folks- you can't have it all- especially at the prices Hyundai is charging. In additon to my questions about solidity I question the interior materials of the Elantra. The Sonata looks great in pics but its not impressive up close- about on par with Camry in terms of materials. Cars.com already noted the plastics in the Elantra dont appear to be anything to rave about. The costs are cut from SOMEWHERE.

I have been in two Cruze models and I can say the interior is better than any other compact I've been in recently except for Golf/Jetta (last gen).
    See an earlier post about relative sizes of the two cars (Cruze and Elantra). Very likely the difference in weight is due a lot to that difference, i.e. Elantra is a little shorter, narrower, and less tall. That, plus engine weight savings plus all the high-strength steel etc. etc. accounts for the difference in weight. How quiet? Driving is the answer!

Most cars that have lowest in class curb weight arent known for handling.

Excuse me, that statement makes no sense. In general, the lighter a car, the more "tossable" and fun-to-drive it is. See for example the recent C/D comparo of the Festiva, Fit, and Mazda2. Here's an excerpt:

And the weight advantage (of the Mazda2--lightest of the group) pays dividends in the dynamics department with winning finishes in skidpad performance (0.82 g) and the lane-change maneuver (64.3 mph). The Mazda 2 hustles through corners with Miata-like athleticism and plenty of steering feel.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/2011_ford_fiesta_vs._2010_h- onda_fit_2011_mazda_2-comparison_tests/2011_mazda_2_touring_page_3

Toyotas aren't poor handling (in general) because some of them are relatively light--they are poor handling because they are not designed for crisp handling! Take the MR2, for example--a fine-handling car for its time, and quite light (2600 pounds).

Since it's clear the Cruze is the car you think is the best in this class, why go on and on about the Elantra?

And btw, I have said positive things about the Cruze, and I never said the Elantra is "superior across the board." Please stop putting words on my fingers. And I did answer your question--maybe take a minute and read what others are posting here.
    Funny. I'm not the one getting upset here.

I just don't believe in judging how quiet a car is or how well it drives compared to another car before I've driven them. I've never claimed the Elantra is quieter than the Cruze, or drives better, or is in any way better than the Cruze except in objective published measures e.g. across-the-board fuel economy. I am trying to use this discussion to learn about the Cruze and how it stacks up against other cars.

But I see that certain people here wish to make that impossible; no discussion on the Cruze is allowed unless we all agree it is superior in every way to every other car in its class. I can't in fairness say that. So I won't.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited November 2010
    Backy, I had the same problem with a "couple" in here earlier when I also questioned "opinion" and "fact"...so now I just lurk & laugh! These folks apparently have never read your posts about test drives you've taken & the follow up analysis, as you are by far the "fairest" & most "factual" test drive writer here, bar none. Trust me, after reading your analysis, I feel like I've just taken the test drive. I believe your reviews over the folks who get paid to do so through their magazines. But certain people will never get it & the great service you provide. I, sir, thank you for what you do!

Am very glad someone stepped in to stop the ridiculous pissing match...amusing & stupid at the same time. I for one, will be very interested to hear your analysis between the Cruz & the Elantra. I know I can believe it because you come in with no preconceived notions at all...just a blank slate. Thank you so much for the service you provide free for all of us readers who love the subcompact/compact segments...you rock dude!

Now let's get back to the discussion at hand & leave the "garbage" out by the curb. Still haven't seen 1 Cruze & we live across the street from the local Chevy/Mazda/Hyundai stores. And we live in South Florida, right behind California on the car loving states! What's up here? Really want to take a test drive...& soon. The Mazda already has over 84k on the clock, and we've never kept a car this long!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I appreciate the comments. I'm glad someone finds some of my posts over the past 10 years valuable.

I have been working long hours in a new job for the past few months, and that plus the fact I leased a new Sentra in April and am set for cars for awhile made me slack off on the car-looking. But this weekend I should have some time (no, I am not getting up at 2 am on Friday to get crushed at the mall, been there, done that). I think I'll stop by my local Chevy dealer and hopefully they'll have at least one Cruze on the showfloor that I can inspect. And maybe a sales rep will ask me if I want to drive one... and when I say I'm "just looking", he/she will say "no problem"! That would be fun. I have to look at the Fiesta, too--haven't seen that one except at the auto show, and it was locked then. And the Hyundai/Kia store is only a block away from the Chevy dealer, so I could pop in there and do a direct comparison of Hyundai's and Kia's latest (Tucson, Sonata, Forte) and see if the quality is as poor as some here think it is, relative to the Cruze. (I've seen those vehicles before, but haven't compared them to the Cruze. I thought they were pretty nice inside, the Tucson maybe a little nicer than the Sonata to my tastes.)
    We won't buy our next car without me talking with you 1st, as we all like the same classes of cars. And yes, your honesty & integrity are top drawer as far as I'm concerned! Very curious about the 2LT model for the wife to try. Would like a car with a little "extra" features to make it comparable to her current Mazda 3s model, which is pretty loaded & has the features we'd like. We're also interested in the Hyundai Elantra & Accent, so we'll be waiting for all 3 reviews from you. I need her to test drive these 3 new models just in case we are forced with a major repair that makes no sense to do at this point.

Also having these dealerships right across the street is a real time saver, since I'm the one who takes care of the vehicles for the entire family & being I'm almost retired, this practice will continue for a long time to come. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way, as I enjoy it so much. And I can't forsee the wife looking at any other brand since she only will consider small cars with a trunk...period!

So enjoy this weekend & I'll be anxiously awaiting your critiques!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

If I was buying the next new ride, I'd try real hard for one with a power seat due to my worsening spinal condition, but the wife is so it's not a big consideration. Will be interested to see what Backy writes so I can pass it on to the wife to read. She can read it & see if it helps her in any way. Thinking it possibly could. Also thinking that could be the next luxury item that could trickle down to the econoclass...most things have by now. It would be sweet!!

Two things could keep power seats from being common on small cars: 1) cost, 2) weight. I'm fine with a good manual adjuster; e.g. the dual manual height adjuster and the lumbar adjuster on the 2001-6 Elantras provide as many adjustments as most power seats but with less weight. But Hyundai/Kia and others have moved away from the dual height adjusters for the simpler (and I guess easier to use) single lever. Those work OK in some cars, not in others--some have a tendency to tip the seat bottom towards the front when raising. The one on my Sentra is pretty good though.

But I think some sort of height adjustment on the driver's seat is important to have. That, plus a telescopic steering column and the seat recliner and fore/aft adjuster, can make the driving position comfy for a wide range of drivers. In my family, we range from 5' to 6'2".

I've crossed several cars off my shopping list in the past because of an uncomfortable driving position. I hope that doesn't happen with the Cruze w/o the power seat.
    Nevermind the turbo gas 1.4 litre. Look at what the 2.0 diesel can do.

I have heard rumours that GM plans to bring a diesel to America. No one knows if it will be in the Cruze or not though.

With the Cruze having such a quiet interior, it is well suited to take on the diesel.

I have seen other videos proclaiming the diesel has fewer emissions than the gas job also.

Put me down for one with a 6 sp manual.

check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3404FpjqPB8&NR=1
    edited November 2010
    I got a close-up look at the Cruze 1LT today. It had no options, which is exactly what I wanted to see--how does it fare in base form? So list was $18,995. It was tan with a black interior. An interesting combo--I'd have preferred a camel or even grey interior. But I'm not a fan of black interior in general, especially in low-end cars--tend to be too dark/dour. This one was definitely dark, pretty much all the same black color (I noticed the LS has grey inserts in the seats which add some interest). A few chrome and silver plastic trim pieces spruced things up a bit.

Sitting behind the wheel and adjusting the seat, I had a very pleasant surprise: the 1LT not only has a manual height adjuster, lever-type--it has TWO of them! One adjusts the front of the cushion, one adjusts the rear. This is the same arrangement I mentioned a couple of posts ago that some carmakers used to put on low-end cars, but have moved away from in recent years. So I was glad to see Chevy taking this approach. And the levers were easier to grab than the round knobs that have been used in the past for dual height adjusters. Also... the passenger's seat has the same adjustments! I think that might be a first on a low-end car--dual height adjusters on the passenger seat. No, they are not power, but they offer the same kind of adjustments as a power seat. The only quibble I have with the height adjuster is I wish it would move the seat higher. When set as high as it would go, I still had tons of headroom (I'm 5'10" on tippy toes) and I wanted to sit higher up (also, this relates to rear seat room as I'll get to). But overall, the driving position was quite comfortable, with good lumbar support (not adjustable) and helped by the telescopic steering column. Steering wheel was plastic, but with some faux leather texturing and bulges at 10 and 2, and felt comfortable if not luxurious. No audio controls on the wheel on the base model, but they are available.

The controls were well laid out and switchgear seemed of high quality for this type of car: stalks were pretty smooth, and HVAC knobs turned smoothly--not at all like the cheap-feeling knobs on former Chevy products like the Cobalt. I would prefer a simple rotary knob for HVAC mode vs. a set of buttons, but they were pretty large buttons.

I'd rate overall quality of the interior on the high side for this class--about on par with the likes of the Sentra and 2010 Elantra (more on that later). The cloth facing on the doors was a nice touch, although it was not padded. The cloth on the dash looked good, but I wonder how it will hold up to scuffs (e.g. my wife likes to put her feet up on the dash, despite my warnings re losing a leg if we crash). I noticed that the black plastic, which seemed of high quality, was not padded at all. Not a biggie, although I would have liked more padding on the armrests and a padded door at the top near the windown would be welcome--fewer and fewer cars of this price have that nowadays.

Then to the back seat... the good news is, I had plenty of knee room; knees were several inches from the seat back, which is deeply scooped out. But I was not comfortable back there, mainly because of tight toe clearance (where allowing the driver's seat to go up more would help) and lack of thigh support. It would be fine for shorter folks or for around-town trips, but not suitable IMO for over an hour or two for anyone of my height or taller. There were small pockets in the doors for storage, and a fold-down armrest (rather a short one) with two cupholders. The back seat folds 60/40, although not quite flat. Also there's a step-up from the trunk to the rear seat. Again, not many cars have perfectly flat load floor with the rear seat down, but it's possible (e.g. my 2004 Elantra has a folding rear seat bottom which provides a flat floor), so it's curious why not more cars offer this handy feature. There's 3 headrests in back--good if you have to put 3 adults or tall kids back there.

The trunk is large for this class, and the opening wide (thanks to the traditional hinges instead of struts) but rather shallow--tradeoff for a big interior in a short car. I see more carmakers moving away from struts to the cheaper hinges that impede on cargo space. But on the plus side, those hinges make the lid easier to open and close than struts, plus allow for a wider opening.

Outside, the car has clean, inoffensive lines that I think will wear well over time vs. more daring styling exercises e.g. the new Elantra. From the A pillar back, the car looks to me like a 5/6ths version of the Gen 4 Sonata, save for the little bulge in the lower edge of the backup lamps. The front has the now-traditional Chevy grille, which to me looks better on the Cruze variant than on some other Chevys. I was glad to see the mirrors fold (can help get into tight parking garages). No side moldings to protect against dings; I am sorry to see more and more new cars leaving those off. But I was glad that the plastic wheel covers are good enough looking that I would not miss having alloys.

Since I won't be buying a car in the near future and the dealership didn't offer a test drive, I didn't drive the Cruze. That will have to wait until I can rent one, or I get closer to my next car purchase. But based just on what I saw, I will definitely have the Cruze on my shopping list for that next purchase. The base 1LT offers all the important equipment I'd want in a small sedan, and nice features such as USB port and audio controls on the wheel are available for a little extra. The only major red flag I saw was the relatively tight rear seat, but it was big enough for an around-town car that usually carries 1-2 people. Price-wise, it's a little more than cars like the Elantra and Forte, but out-the-door price might be pretty close by the time I buy my next car, and maybe the Cruze will shine in driving dynamics.

(out of space... continued in Part 2)
    (Ran out of room...)

Speaking of the Elantra... because of several comments here about the "cheapness" of Hyundais vs. the Cruze, I decided to do a direct comparison a few minutes apart with the Cruze's direct competitor--the Elantra. I went right over to the Hyundai dealer that is a block away from the Chevy dealership, and they had a 2010 Elantra SE on the showfloor that lists for $18,660, so it's about as close a comparison to the Cruze 1LT as I can get right now. I won't go into lots of details about the Elantra because this is not an Elantra discussion, but what I'll say is that in terms of observed quality--paint, trim, interior, door-closing sounds--the Elantra is overall at least as good as the Cruze. (And keep in mind this is a four-year-old design.) The doors felt a bit lighter than the Cruze's, but still closed with a solid "thunk". (Actually, the Cruze's driver's door didn't sound all that solid--the rear door much more so.) Interior-wise, the quality of fabric and plastics appeared to be very close, with the Elantra having a bit more interesting interior because it was two-tone grey with patterned inserts in the seats. The Elantra won some points for a classy-looking shifter--chrome insert in black leather and leather steering wheel. The Cruze bettered the Elantra in having fabric inserts in the doors vs. a patterned plastic trim. The Elantra had cushier armrests and niceties such as lighted vanity mirrors, USB port, and heated mirrors. The Cruze had the nifty dual height adjusters for both front seats (vs. single height adjust for only the driver on the Elantra.) And the Elantra had a much more comfortable rear seat, due to more toe space and a higher cushion. So it will be interesting to compare the all-new 2011 Elantra to the Cruze when the Elantra comes out in a few weeks, to see if Hyundai upped the ante on quality, or slipped.

One thing for sure--the Cruze is the nicest lower-priced Chevy I have ever sat in. I think its interior is even better than that of the Malibu (except maybe the high-end LTZ). It appears Chevy finally has a car ready and able to take on the best small cars from Ford, Europe, and Asia.
    Good summary of observations, backy. How were the sight lines from the driver's seat of the Cruze? I recently rented a Malibu and didn't like the skinny windows especially when backing up and making turns. It seemed like I was in a cave almost. Haven't heard of a lot of complaints about that on the Malibu but I certainly noticed it. The Cruze seems to have a little higher greenhouse with a little larger windows proportionately. What did you think?
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Nice thorough review, thanks. I know you didn't drive the Cruze, but how did the A-pillars seem? I drove my friend's new Camaro and they were FAT (plus I had a hard time seeing out of the thing)! I also sat in a new LaCrosse and it's A-pillars were also plenty thick. Fat A-pillars really bug me!