Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Not much difference in the way a Rubicon rides on the road, but don't forget that it weighs about 300 pounds more than its cousins. Rather like having a really big passenger riding with you full time! The effect is more noticable in terms of fuel consumption than ride comfort.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    "I had a friend drive me over to pick up my jeep, they were expecting us, all the paperwork was ready, and they did an excellent job explaining it (I'm a loan officer myself, I like to know what I'm signing). The salesman knew I had driven 4WDs for a long time so I was familiar with that, but he explained all the jeep features, removing the top, the seats, radio, suggested speed for switching to / from 4WD.

You are a loan officer?

Do you wear a mask and ride a white horse?

Are you the "Loan Arranger?"

:)

Tom <dodging thrown objects, such as rotten vegetables>

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Thanks for sharing the info on your deal. There hasn't been nearly as much discussion about the deals people are getting as there was back before I bought Thelma Jane.

OK, I guess technically there is a separate forum for that now, but I would rather just see that topic covered in here, like everything else we talk about.

Tom

• dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I think I touched on this a little but I'll fill in the details now (since you asked).

I first saw my Wrangler advertised on the DarCars of Silver Spring MD website. I think it was advertised as $18,500. I filled out the little web form and almost immediately received a reply telling me it was $17,500. I thought that was a great price for:

2004 Wrangler X - Columbia Edition
    1,400 miles
    Automatic Transmission
    Air Conditioning
    Upgraded Stereo
    Upgraded Wheels (Columbia Edition Stuff)
    Soft Top
    Red (Not extra $ but important to me)

No one who sees it can believe it's used because it's really not but it technically was and the price reflected that.

I had a good experience with the dealer but in reality all they did was fill out paperwork and hand me the keys. They didn't really 'sell' me the Wrangler. You all took care of that!

It was about the lowest pressure buying experience I've had and I think I got a good deal. If I didn't you can say so for other people's benefit. It won't hurt my feelings now that I've become attached. It's not a money thing any longer :-)

I still can't believe it's mine.

Dave
    Sounds like a good deal to me, but I don't care if someone GAVE you a vehicle, there would be someone who would come along and say that you could have gotten a better deal.

The most important thing is that you have that baby and you are extremely happy with it.

For Pete's sake, it WAS new for all practical purposes, and if you can get a new Columbia Edition for $17,500, I don't see how in the world you could have done any better than that.

Just keep posting and telling us how much fun you are having! I love reading about how people are enjoying their Jeeps.

Tom

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I had always wanted a Sahara before the Rubi came out. When I finally talked myself into buying I test drove both.

No comparison! The Rubicon won out immediately. The gears make it feel much more torquey, and the Sahara doesn't come with the disc brakes all around. The ride is a little stiffer because of the heavier duty shocks.

Also, just look at them side by side. The Rubicon is much more aggressive and sits nearly two inches taller.

I ordered mine with all the options you find on the Sahara, leather wrap, cruise, 7 speaker stereo, digital compass, dimming mirror, dual tops...

As Tom said, the GSA tires on the Sahara are quiter and have better on-road manners than the MTRs on the Rubicon, but the MTRs are not that noisy. I was shocked at how little noise they made. I've had performance radials on sports cars that were much louder.

04 is also the last year for Sahara.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    &#147;Nicole Kidman&#148; She must be one sex Jeep to be named after her.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    loan arranger IS funny, tsjay
  • aullandoaullando Member Posts: 1
    Greetings. I previously owned a '97 Wrangler SE and I'm wanting to become a return customer with either an X with full doors, Sport, or Unlimited. I live in Minnesota and am wondering if I should hold out until there's 3 feet of snow on the ground and its 20 below to get a better deal. Does anyone have any direct knowledge of increased incentives or softer prices in the winter months in northern states? What did they do last year?

Thanks.
    You have the Jeep bug bad!!! And you are infecting everyone who visits this site…I hope they never find the cure.

Glen

PS: Can you infect a few more from CA...
    Not sure, but I don't really think dealers are any more inclined to discount Wranglers in the winter. Heck, a lot of four wheel drive vehicles actually sell better in the winter, so there would be less reason for dealers to discount them then.

You should find a deal for around $200 - $500 over invoice without too much trouble, I would think.

Tom

"You have the Jeep bug bad!!! And you are infecting everyone who visits this site…I hope they never find the cure.

Glen"

Yeah, Glen, I sure do! And what is really a testimony to the "fun factor" of Jeeps is that I am STILL this excited after almost four years of ownership.

Heck, my enthusiasm for any other vehicle that I ever owned lasted no more than six months.

I LOVE JEEPS! THERE AIN'T NOTHIN' LIKE 'EM!

Tom

P.S. Remember this?

Bury me shallow,
    Or bury me deep,
    As long as you bury me
    In my Jeep.

Tell the mortician
    It's no disgrace,
    If he can't remove
    The smile from my face.

When friends come view
    My earthly remains,
    They'll see me in Thelma,
    My Thelma Jane.

Be sure she's topless
    And doorless too.
    Do this for me,
    And I'll be grateful to you.

When you get to Heaven,
    Be sure to look for us three.
    You know we'll be wheelin',
    Thelma Jane, Ross Allen, and me
    I know what you are saying. My wife and daughter tease me about my excitement (passion) towards Ellie&#146;Mae. They think I maybe a little obsessed.
    Your log in set-up is a little wacked (technical term from work). Even though the Edmunds Cookies are still on my computer it will make me log-in every time (with a few exceptions that I cannot explain). When I used Netscape it would remember my log-in information and work without exception. Unfortunately there are a few other issues I did not like about Netscape so I removed it from my computer and went back to IE. I do not know if others are having these same problems or if it is just me. But, I thought if anyone else is having this problem you might be able to fix it? If the problem is on your side and not mine.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I haven't heard of any problems but I'll pass that along. Thanks.

tidester, host
    The site remembers me OK each time.

Tom

• proc2000proc2000 Member Posts: 13
    Well, I am officially a Wrangler owner. I didn't go out and buy a brand new TJ, but picked up a 1995 YJ Rio Grande Version (2.5L/auto, slow combo, but I don't care). I must say, I've had a grin on face all week. I can see I'll be spending a couple bucks to upgrade things that it needs, but overall the body integrity is in good condition and the soft top is pretty good too. Tomorrow I will venture into taking the top down and back up (this could be an adventure, I'm sure).

Anyhow, the older YJ's don't ride as smooth as the newer versions, but are still fun.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Good for you. It is "new" as long as it is new to you. I have heard getting the top down and up is more of an adventure than with the TJ. Get it down, it is worth it no matter how much trouble it is.

Terry
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    No problems for me, I just call up the site from "Favorites" and click on Wrangler.

Terry
    Congrats on that YJ!

TJ, YJ, CJ, or whatever, short wheel base Jeeps are FUN! Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!

Good luck with that puppy, and keep us posted on the fun you are having!

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try clearing your history and cookies from your browser cache too. (tools > options > general or similar).

Steve, Host
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "...........short wheel base Jeeps are FUN! Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!"

Let's not leave out the longer wheel based Scramblers and Unlimiteds!

:--)
    good idea...you may want to delete my last entry as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'll just delete the whole thread about your cookie problem. May as well keep the other Jeep wavers guessing about what the heck we were talking about, LOL.

Steve, Host
    I ran across this on the net. Though you who can legally remove your doors may find this of interest.

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/products.asp?ID=307

Glen
    "...........short wheel base Jeeps are FUN! Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!"

Let's not leave out the longer wheel based Scramblers and Unlimiteds!

:--)

Oh, of course! I consider them short wheel base, even though they are a little longer in that department, and the Unlimited IS a TJ, ya know. :)

Tom

• nihilistnihilist Member Posts: 3
    "Well, I am officially a Wrangler owner. I didn't go out and buy a brand new TJ, but picked up a 1995 YJ Rio Grande Version (2.5L/auto, slow combo, but I don't care"

cool! i am thinking about getting a mid 90s jeep. what might i expect it to cost? how do you like it so far?

cheers.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Thanks Tom. One of these days, when I move back to Ohio, I may take you up on that.

I was just in that neck of the woods today (North Adams, Mass) Went on a white water rafting trip. FUN STUFF! If you've never done so I recommend it.

I can see how there would be good trails, it's way up in the mountains.
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    I also own a 1995 YJ Red/Tan soft top, SE, 2.5, manual (ordered new in 1995). I have been reading the current postings but I do not have time to post myself. My ride is described in posting 1240 (Feb, 2001) - like Jeeps, these posting go back a ways.

My YJ is in storage in my garage now - in good shape, but I can't afford to insure a 3rd vehicle with a teenage son :(

I have been very happy with my YJ, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can get it back on the road.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    sorry, they aren't climbing rocks or slinging mud. just in a park up on the bluff.

http://photos.yahoo.com/jeff62301
    YJBob:

Wow! It's been a while. Good to hear from you, you rascal!

Hey, you ain't THAT busy! Post ONCE IN A WHILE at least. :)

Tom

Shoot! I click on that link and it says that "Jeff62301 has not shared any albums with me."

Come on, Jeff! SHARE THAT ALBUM WITH ME! :)

Tom

• proc2000proc2000 Member Posts: 13
    Hi nihilist. I picked up the '95 YJ for $4500. Depending on condition, I've seen 'em from $3000-5500. Grabbed some nice seat covers at Auto Zone and some floor mats at Murray's today. Tomorrow I am going to give the Green Machine an oil change. Its funny, I haven't changed my own oil in years, but for some reason I want to with this ride. The filter/pan are easy to get to. I need to get a new retractor/seat belt (anyone got one?) for the passenger side. It is a fun ride. The 4wd light comes on (guess the vaccuum connection for the 4wd is still working) which is a good thing. I am looking forward to getting it offroad soon and using it this winter in the snow. I went with the used Jeep instead of new as I plan on getting an '05 Mustang (I drove one a few weeks ago...what a nice car) next spring.

Oh, one more thing...I had 2 Jeeps do the "wave" thing at me today. Yep...the Jeep Wave lives on!
    That worked. She looks great! I hope you're enjoying her as much as I'm enjoying mine. Somehow, I bet you are.

Yesterday a friend reminded me that this winter I can volunteer to help get nurses to work when it snows. I told him I was going to start a group of 4WD vehicles that help Hooters Waitresses get to work. :-)

I'm going to ask my sister in-law to bring her digital camera over tonight so maybe I'll have some pictures to post.

As far as a name goes... I've been thinking of just calling it my "Freedom Machine". What do you all think?

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    That one works, and Nicole is gorgeous! Way to go, Jeff! CONGRATS!

Let's get her down here now for some "mild" wheelin'. She will develop psychological problems if she is not allowed to get off the pavement soon.

Tom

• yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    Careful with oil change, especially with 4 cyl/2.5L YJ - the oil filter is not far away from the exposed terminals of the starter motor. Many guys take off rings, etc. when working that close to potentially hot electrical wires. One friend melted his wedding ring (ouch) when it accidently shorted out a wire under the hood of his vehicle.

Have fun and enjoy - I've been changing the oil in my YJ since I got it (and plugs and air filter, too) it is all so easy to access. Not too many cars made with that much room under the hood these days.
    funny stuff, Dave!

The unlimited looks great too.
  • southflorida33southflorida33 Member Posts: 7
    Hey i've been checking this site for awhile and about to sell my Tacoma which has been a great and reliable truck.(the only reliable thing in my life) so while i love the looks of the jeep , i am a little leary of getting a jeep(soft top), no garage, south florida, lots of rain, hurricanes and stuff.I really like that new unlimited BUT can i carry surfboards and bikes(the 2 wheel kind no engine). And of course it will be my only vehicle for work and play.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm thinking of getting a soft top Unlimited and I don't have a garage either. While we hardly ever get rain, we do get snow (sometimes LOTS of snow) and there's a whole lot more UV rays at 6,000 feet (which does affect how long windshield wipers last). I've seen several different solutions for hauling bikes and surfboards with Wranglers, often some type of roof rack. I'm not too sure how a soft top would handle a hurricane - you should be able to see that about now at any Jeep dealership, I would think. If you happen to see any, let us know. By the way, I have a hard top Sport and think it is just as fun as people do who have soft tops.

By the way, hope Hurricane Ivan doesn't continue on its projected course - it looks like South Florida is right in its path. Good luck with your Wrangler decision. While they have their quirks, they are very reliable.
    Welcome! Glad to hear you are seriously considering a Jeep. You just ain't gonna believe how much FUN they are! Keep us posted on how things are going.

Tom

I just got a soft top Wranger last week and plan to order a Conga Cage Roof Rack to carry my hang glider, a rear hitch and a hitch bike rack. The roof rack is rated to 400 lbs so I think it will do OK with my 65 pound hang glider. I'm looking forward to seeing my Freedom Machine with my glider on top and my bike on the back at the same time.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    I'm looking to by some Torx Bits because it looks like sooner or later I'm going to need them. I know I'll need some when I install the roof rack because I have to remove some of the bolts on the windshield bracket. Sears carries a 12 piece Craftsman set containing T-10 through T-30, T-40 to T-55 and T-60. Does that sound like a good selection or are there some additional sizes I'm going to wish I had?

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    Dave:

Hey, spend the extra money and get torx SOCKETS, not just torx BITS.

There will be some slop with the bits, and torx heads are easy to strip anyway, so you don't need that slop to make things worse.

The size range you mentioned should be real handy, and if you happen to need any other size, you can buy individual sockets.

Tom

Once you get your soft top off buy some quick release screws off e-bay. I did and they do make life a lot simpler when working with the soft top.

Their about $8.00

Glen
    I agree with Tom. Some of those factory installed bolts are in there REAL tight. I don't think I'd got them out without the leverage of a socket wrench.

Be careful. I stripped 2 T-50's.

-Dan
  • yanksfanyanksfan Member Posts: 7
    I've recently grown attached to a friend's Jeep and am going to have to purchase one for myself. You cannot beat the Jeep owner wave. I love that! One question I have is in regards to the soft vs hard top option for the Unlimited. I know that a dual top option does not exist, but can you buy it with the hard top and then get a soft top extra or after market or something like that? Would it be the same as the other Wranglers, or does the soft have to be factory installed? Thanks!
    -B
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I just wanted to follow yanksfan's questions with a couple of my own.

I'm really jealous seeing fellow jeep owners riding around topless this weekend, when all I have is my hardtop.

I watched my jeep tape last night, they showed how to take the tops off / put them on, then during "the credits" they said that sunrider was a copyrighted name of bestops. Is the bestop sunrider in catalogs the same as comes on the jeep as OEM?

any tips on tops?? which one to buy??

jeff

ps,, thanks to all of you for all the advice and encouragement. Tom, I'll bet you've sold more people on jeeps than the dealer here in Quincy, and you aren't even getting a commission (or are you??, just kidding)
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Good morning. I have taken your advice and have been reading past posts to get questions answered. Great reading and very informational. As a result I am looking at a 2004, flamming red Sport today. Dealer is saying $500.00 over MSRP. Seems high from my reading but there seems to be very few 2004's available. Any suggestions from ayone-perhaps its not a bad deal considering inventory in my area. Thanks, KB. Getting very anxious to get a Jeep but don't want to move to fast and end up paying more than what is fair.
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Yanksfan,

I bought an Unlimited about 3 months ago, and faced the same question. You can buy either a hardtop, or the softtop and associated hardware at the dealer parts counter. Cost is about a wash: roughly 18-1900 to add a hardtop, or about 1100 to add a softtop (but then you have to add the inital extra 800 cost for the hardtop as a factory option, hence the financial wash. Convenience is probably a wash also; buy a softtop and you have to install the hardware and bows, buy a hardtop and you have to run the wiring kit for the rear wiper and defroster. I bought mine with a softtop, and I'll wait 'til after this winter to decide if I "need" a hardtop. Hope this helps.

Marcus