Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Water Leak and Radio Problem

mijs0405mijs0405 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Jeep
I need help. I have a 2008 Jeep Commander Hemi and has 51K mileage now but problem happened way before it hit 50K. I have 2 water leak problems one got fixed or supposedly fixed in 2009 and one prior to that - these two were done within the warranty period. Week of Aug 23rd, my radio went out and since I was out of B2B warranty went to a extended warranty via car insurance. They told me they can not cover it cuz it looks like it was caused by water damage. When this problem happened it was raining that day. Took to the dealer to get my amplifier and wiring fixed and left the right door speaker unfixed for now as I will get a new speaker in a week after it got fixed. Anyway week I got the car back after getting the amp/wiring fixed it was raining, that was last week. Noticed that the radio volume went out again and then end of the week have water on the floor by the driver side.

So for folks who had the same problem, what have you done to get this corrected and not pay a cent as you can see it is an ongoing problem. I can understand if this is the first time and I am out of my B2B warranty but it looks like they really never fixed it and oh by the way, they have a thirday party who supposedly fixes this type of water leak problem so technically how can I really trust them to actually fullly fox this problem.

Please send in your input. I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Comments

• vernonwelchvernonwelch Member Posts: 1
    Hey... I am having a similar problem.. I have a 2008 Jeep Commander.. The water started leaking in the door on the front passenger side... I have tried to get the dealer to fix it.. They have this third party person who charges a set rate of $250.. It just so happens that that is the same amount of the deductible. I have been shopping around because not only is the service at the dealership awful, but I don't understand how the integrity and/or the seals on the cars doors can be compromised this soon after the car left the assembly line. I have contacted an attorney at 1800lemonlaw. In the meantime I have called another dealership for an estimate.. Its no way that Chrysler does not know that these cars are leaking. They need to be held accountable, especially since they got a piece of the bailout monies so that these dealerships could stay up and running..
  • klink1klink1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just purchased a 2006 Commander with 60K. on it. The floor boards were wet when I purchased it, so I had the dealer sign an agreement that they were responsible to fix this issue or give my money back. Cleaning out the door drains seems to have fixed this issue, but I'm still concerned that the issue will come back. It's only been a few weeks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've also heard people say that its taken a new windshield to solve the issue. My research made it clear that this is a big issue and Jeep is not taking responsibility as of yet. If the problem comes back and it doesn't get fixed, I'm contacting a good attorney. If enough Jeep owner do this they will have to do something. I hope?
  • larios1larios1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, was wondering if any of you have had any luck with getting the water leak problem fixed, or contacting an attorney. My sister-in-law and I both have a 2006 Jeep Commander and have been dealing with this problem for quite some time now. Her car completely shut down a couple of days ago with all of the rain we have had.
  • uw_commanderuw_commander Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like some of you have had the same problem... I have a 2006 Commander that I bought in Jan 2007 and here in the Pacific NW it has been great.
    Is there a connection between water leaks and the speakers cutting in and out?
    How are they connected?
    Thankx.... Barry
  • easttncntryboyeasttncntryboy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Commander that developed a water leak that was soaking both the drivers and passengers side floor boards. I don't know if any of you have the sunroof option but I traced my problem back to clogged drains that channel down the door pillars. They were a little tricky to get to but I blew them out with compressed air and have not encountered this problem since.
  • fairwindsfairwinds Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2011
    I just bought a 2008 Commander that just hit 36,000 miles. The front driver's side floor was wet when I got it. Now everytime it rains, the driver's side floor is soaked. I cannot tell where the water is coming in from. I don't think the warranty will cover the repair since I am no on 37,000 miles. The one thing I did notice is that when it is dry out, I roll down the driver's side window and when I roll it back up, there is water on the window. When I do the same to the passenger side's window, it is dry. That got me thinking that the water is coming in from the window some how? Any thoughts on what I can do so that the floor doesn't end up rotting out, etc. At first I thought it was coming in when the roads were wet, but the car had dry floors three days ago, I have not driven it since and today it is raining and the floor is wet. So...the water is coming in while the car is in parked position. Pls help... shouldn't I be able to get this fixed. There must be a recall???
  • bluesboy39bluesboy39 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I also have an 06 Commander and shortly after buying thevehicle we had a water leak in the front left driver floor after a hard rain. im still having the problem but even worse now after the radio went mute . so today i started looking around on the net to see if any other customers were having issues with their commanders and sure enough just about every customer has had the water leak and the exhaust bolts breaking causing the exhaust ticking noise (i have repaired that myselft about a month ago) and just a lot of electrical issues prob. due to a minor water leak that has not been seen yet . anyway i took my panels off inside going to the a-pilar and removed drain from left side of sunroof to find it completely stopped up with trash and looks like some black foam insulation of some sort but clogged causeing water from sunroof not to drain at all but overflow and run down to all four floors now so hopefully that will stop for a while . i saw a post today from someone who said they found out that the drains arent large enough to handle the water flow from a hard rain and thats what someone at the dealer told them . so it appears that jeep has seen a lot if not all of these water leak issues and radio issues due to water leaks and cant understand for the life of me why there is not a recall yet but i do know that if you have it reapaired at a dealer and later jeep comes out with a recall on it then the manufacure will refund all of your money back that was paid on attempting to repair the leak but you need to keep recipt for proof to send in to the manufacture.
    Good Luck... my Commander leaks and I do not have a sunroof. The front driver's floor is soaked after it rains. I know carry a tarp in the back of the car and leave it on the roof when I am not driving it and it's raining. It is the only way that I can keep the car from rotting away and having all these electrical problems that I have read about. I washed my car w/a hose the other day and the floor was dry. It doesn't come in that much when I am driving it on a rainy day. If it rains while parked...the floor is soaking wet. I am so sick of it... everyone drives by and wonders why this car always has a bright blue tarp over the front driver's window. I had a Jeep Laredo before and wish I purchased another one. This Commander issue should be have a recall or Jeep will be loosing their customers. So if anyone else has a solution or has been able to fix the problem on a Commander w/no sunroof, please post something for all of us who are miserable and hate rain!!!!!
  • abmontyabmonty Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Jeep Commander and for the first 65,000 miles have had few significant issues with it. The two prior issues I did have were related to a vehicle diagnosis issue (Self-diagnosis cluster on the dash randomly came on during operation and went wild, but eventually stopped) that was eventually traced to a fault in the ignition switch and an unexpected engine shut off that was eventually traced to a faulty cargo door short circuit.

In Dec 2010 I experienced water (lots of it) accumulated in the drivers side foot well. This fault was diagnosed as stemming from clogged drain tubes. Tubes were replaced with oversized tubes by my dealer, carpets and padding dried and I was told the problems was corrected. (Never believe your dealer no matter how well you think of him/her and mines been great till now.)

In June I experience water staining on the head liner above the driver and along the edge of the moon roof (left corner). I showed it to my dealer and added it to my service appointment for checkout and repair. Before that appointment happened we had a rain storm and BOTH the driver side and passenger side foot wells filled with water. So much water that it was above evident above the carpet. Again the dealer so show them the magnitude of the leak as an aid to diagnosis and repair and to find out why a problem that had been fixed six month earlier had re appeared only worse.

During my service appointment the liner was removed and it was determined that the drain tubes were clogged (AGAIN??) This I had difficulty understanding since during the first 4.5 years of ownership I had not one leak and that in the 5th year it happened twice.

Here it got interesting - I was told (dealership) that they could find no source of the leak, no gaskets were cracked/dry rotted etc nor did it appear that the adjustment of the sun/moon roof glass to the roof gaskets were excessive. In fact I was told JEEP DESIGNED THE SUN/MOON ROOF TO LEAK and that it was performing as designed - LEAKING.

Remember I said in the first 65,000 miles not one leak now twice it's leaked. My dealers explanation didn't pass the common sense test and I've challenged it all the way to Jeep Engineering - who according to their design department did not design the moon/sun roof glass to leak though seepage of water could be expected, but not in amounts that would fill both the drivers and passenger side foot wells with substantial water as I was/am experiencing.

I see lots of folks have had similar issues with the Commander leaking and I was wondering if anyone was able to resolve the problem to the point it didn't re-occur short of buying a Ford, GMC, Subaru etc.

Another interesting point the leak seems to appear only when the vehicle is sitting/parked. I've not seen the problem manifest itself when driving.

My dealer suggest parking the JEEP in my garage or in a car port or under a tarp when not in use and bad weather is imminent.

Anyone want to offer some suggestions on how I might fix the problem or where I should look find the leak???
  • coolblue06coolblue06 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, only leaking when parked, passenger side only. Still under warranty, I took it in and they determined there was a faulty seal, gasket around the screw that attached the handle on the passenger side in front of the door (just to the right of the windshield). Once they replaced it there were no more problems w/ the leak. Hope this helps...
  • edsmumedsmum Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Hi:
    I have a Jeep Commander 2007 that I purchased four years ago from the dealership. Last summer during heavy rain water began leaking from the black box located behind the rearview mirror and on the passenger side floor. I took it to the dealership and they said the tubing from the sunroof is clogged and needs replacing. We let them replace it and the leak in the passenger floor stopped but water continues to leak from the black box located behind the rearview mirror. I took it to a different dealership and they said they poured water on the roof and did not see any leakage and I should call Chrysler. I called Chrysler and they said they do not know anything about Commander and I need to talk to the Dealership!
    I would like to know if anyone has dealt with a problem like this and if anyone has suggestions on how to deal with this problem and also do you know a mechanic that is familiar with Jeep Commanders?
  • jaclyn57jaclyn57 Member Posts: 1
    Wow so many jeeps so many leaks. I bought a used 2006 fully loaded jeep commander with all the bells and whistles and I a sitting ankle deep in water on the passanger side and when I turn I hear all the water inside. It leaks when it rains and its so frusrating because the mold smell is horrible and knats and insects breed in my jeep. I know now why someone traded it in. Its so sad because I live always concerned about the weather. I didnt buy the warrenty (shame on me) and the dealer wants to charge me some astronomical price just to look at it. Help if there is a class action suit I'm in
    I know exactly how you feel. I just bought my 2008 six months ago and I am constantly checking the weather out. I had my husband build me a little carport to put the jeep under because I literally get sick to my stomach when the car is out in the rain. The floor is soaked on the driver's side. I could have bought a brand new Jeep Liberty for what I paid for this 3 year old Commander. I really hate to say it. I just may trade it in for the Liberty. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and put 300 miles on it before the trans. went. I love Jeeps, but this Commandore should be recalled!!!! If anyone hears of a recall, pls. contact me.
  • itabotitabot Member Posts: 105
    Have you had this problem since your April 2011 posting? This solution worked for me too last spring. I had the puddling/leaking Again these past 2 weeks & had the repair shop duplicate that solution but this time it's not working for me. If you had to go another route after this initial fix please let me know.
    Thdnk you.
    I have the same problem w/water and my Commander does not have a sunroof. It's really a shame that Jeep doesn't do a thing about this when there are so many Commander owners who have the same problem!
  • wswigwswig Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2012
    I had no idea so many other people were having problems with their Jeep Commander water leaks. My wife's car was in the shop and she was driving it and it rained. She got off work and 3 inches of rain was on the driver's side. Now she thinks I'm a fool for keeping this car. My leaks are so bad it got in the speakers and the radio is mute just like another Jeep Commander owner.

I think we should start a group to get the design problems fixed.

Does anyone have the check gas cap warning as well?

I have the following problems:

Check Gas Cap Warning
    Driver's Side Leaks
    Mute Radio

I have seen other people report the same problems. We deserve to get these
    problems fixed. The Commander was supposed to have the Jeep quality behind it but the model has numerous problems. Is there any wonder why Jeep discontinued making a Commander.

Thanks for any response and if anyone has any ideas how we can get the problems addressed, let me know.
    I second bringing a lawsuit to have the Jeep Commanders recalled to
    fix this problem. I think 100% of the Commanders leak. See my
    post. I have a few other common problems as well.

I will start contacting people if we get enough support.
    Pls.... we do need a lawsuit. It is ridiculous. We had rain two days ago and my car mats are in the house still drying! Apple had a problem w/the cords on the their Macintosh laptops. I was going crazy replacing them; this was going on for years. People were online complaining just like we are about our Commanders. Well, Apple listened and did something. They sent us a postcard and I headed to an Apple store w/three bad power cords. In a few minutes I walked out with three brand new cords that are awesome! I will buy Apple computers forever, but Jeep...shame on you!!! Do something about this problem or those of us who have always have Jeeps will go elsewhere for our vehicles! I actually have a huge tarp that goes over the car anytime I hear it is going to rain. I have gone out at 2 am when I hear rain to cover it. Why... because after it gets wet too many times, the radio and all the electronics are going to go...just wait. So get big tarps before you have big problems!!! JEEPERS, CAN'T YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM and help us out here!!!!
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for posting a message. I can't believe this major leaking problem has not been addressed by Chrysler. My radio is already gone. We have
    to find the best two advocates to get this problem addressed and all Jeepers have to contact the advocate. We shouldn't have to keep a
    tarp in the car to prevent leaking. Jeep should send us a tarp. They
    haven't even admitted to the problem. I have a "Check Gas Cap" problem
    as well. This is another common problem.
    I may start filing a consumer complaint with the State of Maryland. It may not go far but
    it may give me practice of filing future complaints. Any Jeepers in Maryland please
    file a complaint too.
    edited January 2012
    Below is customer complaint for a Jeep Commander. The leaking problem is a more a common problem and the problem may be not a safety issue. However, it is definitely an annoying problem and for people who also lost there radio, it is definitely a problem that can get worse. Below is what he did to get reimbursed for one repair. We should be able to get a recall for this leaking problem. It is definitely a design flaw and should be addressed by Chrysler. I am going to file complaints like this customer did. If any other Jeepers that have a leaking problem would like to file complaints, we may be able to get the attention of someone.

SUCCESSFUL CUSTOMER COMPLAINT WHO GOT ATTENTION FROM CHRYSLER

I am submitting this because I do not know in what direction to turn. Purchased a
    2008 Jeep Commander on October 3, 2008. I average approx. 100 miles a day,
    due to the requirements of my employment. Currently there are 46, 000 miles on my
    Commander. I first began to encounter problems with the vehicle around 42, 000 miles.
    Engaging the key, there was a slight hesitation of 1-3 seconds prior to the engine
    'turning over'. This gradually began to progress to 5-10 seconds. It got to a point
    in which if I drove it, it would not start until it sat idle for at least
    8-10 hours. Eventually it would not start at all. Contacted Chrysler Jeep and was told
    that towing would be offered at cost to the consumer, since it was past the
    36, 000 mile limit. My insurance company, Safeco, indicated that I had towing on
    my policy, but it could only tow to a certified Chrysler Jeep dealership within a
    15 mile towing radius. It was subsequently towed to the Thompson dealership
    since it matched the criteria. The problem was diagnosed as being the wireless
    ignition module. I was charged $487.33, invoice #184536.

The vehicle ran good for 2 weeks then began to exhibit the same problems.
    It eventually gave out. I started the vehicle and drove it to the Thompson
    dealership. It broke down there. After 'jiggling' the key it started
    and the service advisor, Richard Norwood, drove me home. This occured
    on June 9. On June 14, I was informed, that they could not find the cause of
    the problem. It should be pointed out here, that my initial request was that if
    I was going to have a high end repair to notify me prior, invoice # 186245

I began to go online and found out the commonality of problems encountered
    by 2008 Jeep owners and was shocked. A recall of front control modules
    was often cited. Including the tendency for the vehicle to stall while driving:

http://www.automotive.com/2008/49/jeep/commander/recalls/71075.html

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/daimler_chrysler/jeep_commander.htm

Contacted the lemon law attorney's but they would not accept because it
    was over the 36, 000 mile limit. Contacted the Maryland State Attorney
    General's office and was transferred to the Consumer Protection Division.
    Submitted a formal complaint, but was notified it would take 4-6 weeks
    inorder for the division to respond. At this point I was informed
    that they could only act as a mediator.

I next contacted the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration.
    The procedure was duplicated. Submitted a complaint with a response time of
    4-6 weeks.

I have a vehicle sitting in front of my place of residence. No one knows
    what's wrong with the thing. Spoke with the actual mechanic doing the repairs.
    RealIy cordial and knowledgable. Says that he has worked on the vehicle on his
    own time, without pay. Says that he can run more extensive tests which
    would be costly and may not still yield favorable results. At best he will trouble
    shoot or trial and error. I contend the problems are the result of faulty
    manufacturing. In some Jeeps it was found that Chrysler installed faulty
    Mitsubishi starters.

Need to emphasize, Thompson Chrysler Jeep and the service advisor,
    Richard Norwood, as well as the mechanic have been superb. They are the
    only bright spots out of the whole ordeal. Couldn't have a more professional
    group of people representing the Chrysler logo.

Was assigned a Chrysler case manager, Andrew AP-516. Initially they denied
    culpability. Stating that my vehicle, alhough exhibiting the same problems of the
    1338 recalled vehicles, that it was not within the recall group.
    After informing them of my consumer options they agreed that since
    the module was under warranty, they would re-imburse me. His solution was
    to get a second opinion. I asked, 'from who?' If a certified dealership did not
    know the answers, who would. What were the logistics involved?
    Was I to tow the car from dealership to dealership at my expense?
    He said a member of their response team was to get back with me by
    June 16, it never happened. I called back the subsequent week and he was
    totally oblivious to the specifics of my case. He repeated that I needed to get a
    second opinion. It was at that time I requested another case manager.
    Was given an equally inept case worker, Kristy, KF-223. She prompted the same
    response as the previous case worker but with a twist. The area district manager was
    to get in touch with me not later that June 29.

To Chrylser's defense. they did offer to re-imburse me for the front control module
    repairs. Have to submitt my original repair documents and a determination then
    has to be made.

I have a potential death trap. As with Toyota, need to know how many people
    will needlessly have to be injured or killed before a class action suite will be
    initiated. The problems of the 2008 Jeep Commander are extensive, and these
    have been well documented by its owners. What does Chrysler know about the
    flawed electrical design of the Commanders and when did they know it.
    Are we on the precipice of a class action suite against Chrysler.

I would immagine after they defaulted in the repayment of the
    7-billion dollar bailout, Chrysler would be more proactive towards addressing
    the safety and concerns of the consumer.

My vehicle has been sitting idle for over a month.

Chrysler Customer Care
    Attn: Jeep
    P.O. Box 21-8004
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    48321-8004
    (877)426-5337
  • jmtz2012jmtz2012 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering now because of the size of the commander purchasing one... or rather I was considering it. I'm scared now to drive 3 hours to see one that might cause problems in the future. I'm disappointed because its been a vehicle I've wanted for some time and upon stumbling onto this page I am unsure of what action to take. Purchase it for its size and prepare myself with a tarp or consider another vehicle? Help!
    I'm not sure if they all leak or just some leak but it is a major problem. Unless you think it is a deal you can't refuse, I wouldn't suggest buying one. It is the worse vehicle I have ever owned. The only credit I would
    give this vehicle is that I never had any engine or transmission problems
    and it has $84,000 mile on it. There are alot of cars out on the road and
    I would put the Jeep Commander at the bottom of the list.
  • jdaughtrjdaughtr Member Posts: 1
    We took a 06 Commander in last week with the wet drivers’ side floorboard problem. We checked the windshield carefully, and then drivers door moldings and then blew out the drains for the sun roof.
    It still leaked down through the drivers’ side drain line area of the sun roof.
    We finally found the problem by dropping the head liner down and using an inspection mirror with a flash light. We disconnected the drain line and plugged the nipple opening and poured a small amount of water into the sun roof pan and located a hole in the drain pan just above where the nipple is formed for the drivers’ side sun roof drain line.
    We could not see the actual leak source without the mirror and flashlight, as it was on the interior side seam facing away from the drivers’ door opening.

Since carefully sealing the drain pan seam just a 1/4 above the drain hose nipple on the interior side, slightly above where the drain hose connects, the problem appears to be solved.

It appears to be a manufacturing defect in the plastic seam in my opinion.

I hope this helps others with similar Jeep Commander water leaks on the drivers’ side.

John Daughtry
    Glass by Daughtry Inc
    Brandon, MS
  • angiernangiern Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I am frustrated. I bought my 2006 Jeep Commander brand new! I have taken it to the body shop 3 times, etc., and it still leaks. My fix-all was to put simple carpenter's putty on the sunroof and edges on the roof. This is an ugly, temporary fix, but it stopped the leaks. I have proof, and am willing to participate in ANY type of lawsuit.

Let me tell you how I found this website: Someone saw me parked at a store, she was driving a 2006 Limited Edition, as well. She saw my putty and offered me some advice...then she told me of this site.

This is RIDICULOUS! How many of us are out there? Where are you Chrysler? Do you even care? I'm not being sarcastic...just tired of getting wet. My sticker price was $38,650.
    Thank you for posting. this is my exact experience. Exact. We even had one of the same case manager's, i.e., Kristy. None are ever aware of the prior case manager's conversation with me, and, more: they are never aware of the TSBs convering my complaints. I have to listen to them say that there are none until i tell them the numbers of the TSBs and offer to fax them copies.

My Jeep Commander had been sitting now for over one month. I decided to move it this evening and opened the sunroof which then would not close. I had to turn the Commander off, on, off and on again before the sunroof would close again; worrying that this is related to the electrical problem of park assist turning off by itself, cruise control turning on by itself, dash board blinking, and navigation screen and bottow row buttons ceasing to work within a few minutes of car running.
  • sshafrankosshafranko Member Posts: 1
    Our 2006 Commander which we bought brand new for $36,000 has had or is currently having the following problems with 37,000miles on the clock:-) Water puddling on driver side floor- I pulled up the carpet and found that the sunroof drain hose is too short and pulls out of the floor and fills the truck(lol...how stupid are these people?), water leaking into the driver side rear quarter panel where the factory radio amplifier is located which intern shorted out from the water and the radio does not work anymore, intermittent running rough, gas cap loose warning message, replaced two starters, water pools in the front doors, passanger side window automatically goes down by it self, front rotors prematurely failed, front shocks and tires prematurely failed, driver side seat motors are not operating anymore, I tested the motors and they are fine, it is probably a relay or something electrical which got wet from the pooling water on the floor.... I can't go on any more because I'm starting to get very angry and I don't want to ruin my day...but I will leave you with this.... the dealers will pretend that they don't know what you are talking about you are the only case and you caused all of this as they told us at Teterboro nj jeep...Jeep is very well aware of these issues and will cover their tracks as best they can....good luck getting any government agency involved without making any substantial donation to whoever is in charge of the buracracy you are calling...the best way to hurt these scumbags in my opinion is to never buy their product again and spread the word as wide and as far as you can...just think we gave them a ton of money for a crap product and on top of that we bailed them out of bankruptcy with our money again, and they can't lend us a hand? What does that tell you about them?

Sasha
    I couldn't say it better myself. I have a 2008 commander that has exactly
    the same problems. There is a lot of commanders made from 2006 through 2008 that we have to find a law firm to file a class action suit on behalf of all the Commander owners. Someone
    forwarded me a name a firm and I went to the website of the law firm and
    sent them an email. I haven't heard from the law firm yet.

My jeep won't pass the Maryland emmissions test because of the gas
    cap warning. I will forward the name of the law firm I emailed. It was
    on this site that I got the name so maybe you can see it.

Thanks for taking the time to write your story. I hope we can get our
    Jeeps fixed.
    I went through this with attorney over the throughout the last month and, short of the long: you have to wait until someone, unfortunately, loses life or limb, they sue/their estate sues Jeep Chrysler, and then we file a class action on the coat-tails of that suit, i.e., without loss of life or limb the class action won't be worth our time/money.

that said: keep posting experiences with these Jeep Commanders AND Chrysler Corporate's lack of sufficient reply so that if/when that time comes, we are totally prepared. Also, by posting, we give Jeep Chrysler the chance to do the right thing BEFORE it becomes a life or limb suit.
  • edboneedbone Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Commander Limited (Hemi) and had the same leaking problem as everyone else. Living in Southern California, where it never rains, you could imaging how long it took to find this leak. Our head liner has been replaced 2X in 2 years and was told the drain tubes for the sunroof get clogged. Lucky for me, we were still under warranty. The solution from the dealer was, "Don't drive in the rain and keep it garaged!"

This is bitter / sweet! Sorry we are all going through this horrific problem, especially after paying 40K + for a vehicle, but I'm so glad we all have this same problem. With numbers, we could make a stance and hopefully rectify the problem for good.

I read in this blog, an attorney said nothing could be done unless someone losses life or limb. Sounds to me like a personal injury attorney who wants the big bucks. I disagree, I am sure :lemon: laws may apply here. We all want our investment (vehicle) fixed, not to get rich.

WSWIG, count me in on the lawsuit. keep in touch, edbone2060@yahoo.com
  • 007latr007latr Member Posts: 3
    Well the title say it all Water on the driver's side floor when it rains it horrible...Flicking of the dashboard the moving of the seats the sun roof no longer opens the radio and navigation no longer works either and to add insult to injury went to the dealer ship they want to charge me $178 per per hour for repairing the leak issue...If everyone report this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration then maybe action will be taken...I've already reported it and I'm down for any class action laws suits as well...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
  • edboneedbone Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. We had our headliner replaced twice (Dealer expense) and were told our drain lines were becoming clogged. I will check the sun roof pan, especially now that our vehicle is out of warranty.
    I can't believe Chrysler is getting away with this workmanship. I think
    our problem that it's not a safety issue but a large annoyance problem. I hope this forum can give us a break and force the dealerships to fix the leaking and radio problems.
  • ernie27ernie27 Member Posts: 1
    Good day,

We have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the 5.7L HEMI. We bought it used and had to take it back to the dealer for minor repairs. In one of our trip to the dealer, when wehad gooten it back the radio screaned had gone grey but it still worked fine except fo the Navigation. They said they had nothing to do with it. We never to it back to then in Patterson NJ(Global Auto Mall). We now live in Gainesville,Florida and had a very heavy down pour. When we opened the door to our surprise, there was water on the floor and water coming from the handle to assist you in getting in. The Jeep to this day has been fine, no problem. I am surprise to hear of all the problem but will check out the drains. Where can I sign up for the Law suit.
    For every Jeep Commander owner that lives in Illinois or anywhere for that matter....No action will happen if we don't report them...We spend our hard earned money and this is what we get in return... I have a used 2006 and five years in I shouldn't be having these problems already...
  • res10000res10000 Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have the same problem as many of you. Bought a new JC 2007 and had no problems until last fall in 2011. Found standing water on the passenger side footwell. Heard water slushing around inside the cab. Noticed water dripping from the driver and passenger side hand rails mounted on the door frame near the windshield. Took it to a body shop who said it was a plugged drain from the sunroof. Things were ok for several months. Then again after a major rain storm with the JC sitting for several days outside (I was on vacation) I found an inch or more of standing water on the passenger side again. I have removed quarts of water from the footwell this time and I am looking for solutions. I have an appointment at a jeep repair center tomorrow. We'll see what they say.
    I just had this conversation with the independent Jeep repair shop that I started going to when I discovered that the Jeep Chrysler dealer I purchased from in Norwalk-Georgetown CT had failed to file my warranty paperwork; I have exactly the same problem, i.e., had sunroof drains air hosed last year, the leaks stopped for several months, but then clogged again. However, this time the air hose didn't help; in fact, it may have dislocated the drains. That said, the Jeep Chrysler Solution to this problem is going to cost me anywhere from $600 - 1200 to repair; while, The independent service station that I go to explained that they believe that they will be able to repair the problem for less than $400. When I pick it up tomorrow for what will bring repairs to just over $10k (it only has 65k miles on it), I'll know if they were able to repair it. What's nice about the independent repair shop is that if they aren't able to repair it, they won't charge me for their time; the Jeep Chrysler Dealer will charge $175 just to look at it and maybe/maybe not repair it.
  • denise42denise42 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Door handles broken, water leaks in drivers side, radio goes crazy, cruise control accelerate to 80 and more. I am so tired, what should I do??????
    You have to wonder how Chrysler can get away with building a car that
    leaks and causes many other problems. Thanks for the response and
    maybe we can get lucky to get some support to have the problems
    fixed. In the mean time we have to drive these pieces of junk.
  • bowilsonbowilson Member Posts: 1
    my jeep filled the floor boards with water for a year heard every excuse in the world from jeep they will tell you drain plugs are clogged or the sun roof pan has a crack in it but i found out the real problem from a old country shop that replaced the headliner. if youve tried these other fixes and it didnt work the problem is above the the doors. when they prefabricated the doors some of them have a little wave in the metal so the door is not sealing well. you can actually see the waive if you look. Apply a little silcone and that will seal it and stop the leak.
  • jerome07jerome07 Member Posts: 1
    I have an "06" Jeep Commander & I may Have to contact the news. Here I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST MY CAR, but after reading, we're ALL experiencing the same problems. My radio isn't working the Cd's are stuck, God forbid my speakers go. We have had two days with pretty good amount of rain. & it only happens when parked. Driver side filled up with water happen yesterday as well as this am.... Its annoying now
    edited May 2012
    I thought I was reading my post I wrote several months ago. I am surprised that Jeep is trying to get away with this. I thought there
    was hope when I first found this site. I think it's going to be an uphill
    battle to get any response from Chrysler.
  • realtor07456realtor07456 Member Posts: 1
    I just hit 110k on our 2006 Commander. This morning, water all over the passenger side floor. Radio and Nav are completely fried. I am all for filing a class action. My name is Mike Kaplan and I can be found at www.NorthJerseyPads.com . I am willing to work toward filing a class action. If anyone is game, please contact me to work together. This is unacceptable.
  • unhappyjcownerunhappyjcowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Commander and have been fighting this water problem for years. Of course it is now out of warranty and I have electrical problems. Front windows, side view mirrors and dome lights do not work. I am sure the problem is in the left roof post where there is probably a wiring harness that is close to the drain pipe for the sun roof....which really sounds like a dumb way to move the water from the sun roof...
    I am sure that i am looking at a couple thousand dollar repair bill to track down an electrical short!

Please include me in any class action suit...there has got to be a lawyer with a Commander and similar problems...
    The problem with my 2006 Jeep Commander is getting worse...I love The Windy City but I hate it when it rains...because when it does all I see is water on the driver's side floor...the CD's are stuck...the dashboard blinks, the truck jerks when I drive.....So I'm all in and for a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!!!!
  • tglilleytglilley Member Posts: 1
    Started about a year ago with the leaking sun roof. Had the drain tubes cleaned out and re-leveled the sun roof. Held up for about a month until then next rain storm, severe flooding - $500.00. Have since had to get the interior cleaned and mold removed several times.

Last month Radio and Nav crapped out. Just completely blacked out - replaced with a pioneer head unit. Another $500.

This weekend, radiator cracked and all of the electronic sensors need to be repaired in order for the car to start. $800 pending.

I have 150k on my Jeep, so granted I drive a lot, but I take excellent care of my car. Should not havwe this many problems this early. Interested to hear more about a class action.

Tim
    if the water is pooling only in the front passenger side, it's likely that the drain for the AC is clogged. this is a problem in most chrysler vehicles.
    I am amazed how many fustrated Commander owners there are on the road. It doesn't seem like anylaw firm is interested in the class action because there
    is no safety issue. If you add the expense of fixing the drains and all the electrical repairs, there should be enough damages for a lawsuit.

We need to get a break some how to get the ball rolling.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2012
    Have you thought about small claims court? Check your manual too; there may be an arbitration service that you qualify for. By the time someone goes through a class action, the owners might be lucky to get a coupon for a discount off a new Jeep, if that.
  • deputycmdeputycm Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem that all of you have, but we all need to use the same attorney to make this lawsuit stick. I'm about to go to my attorney to see who she needs to talk to and take care of the problem.