Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• greenhkgreenhk Member Posts: 48
    That's exactly what the car that I test drove was doing. That dealer said the light must be broken but I did my research & saw that many folks were having the same problem (well before the official recall). I opted to buy another car from another dealer. Yes, I hope the recall fixes the problem too! Good luck!
    Anyone notice a lound "clunk" noise when they open their trunk door? Happens every time I open the door. Could this be a normal sound for maybe the latch unlatching?? - but honestly I never noticed it until yesterday.
    Just got off the phone with my dealership. I posted this note before March 17) but got no responses. Now it seems there will be a recall on this new problem with the 2013 PF.

When I open the trunk I hear a loud clunk or bang as it gets about 1/4 of the way up. Come to find out it is the back hatch/door hitting the roof of the car. Seems there's not enough space between the hatch door & the roof & the hatch hits the roof when you open it & then bangs when it forces its way open. (Hope this makes sense.) In the process of the hatch & the roof rubbing each other, my paint has started to chip away.

Dealer said this is a NATIONAL problem with the new PF and they are working on a solution, but I shouldn't expect a solution for at least a month.

So, now 2 recalls to be had on the car... first the passenger airbag sensor and now the trunk/hatch. I love my car, but have to admit I'm slowly getting discouraged.

Anyone else noticing this problem with their trunk opening?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    National problem but maybe it only affects a relatively few Pathys? Seems like we'd see at least another post or two in here in the last ~3 weeks if it was common.
    I too was thinking it was only my car since no one responded to my earlier post. I'm wondering if some folks (1) don't use their trunk very often; (2) open it from a distance & wouldn't hear the sound. When you're in the car & press the button to open it automatically you can definitely hear it. I did do an internet search & saw a few other folks with the same problem - but not as many as the airbag sensor issue.
    Looks like the paint chipping would be noticeable. Please keep us posted on how the fix goes.
  • ac6ac6 Member Posts: 1
    Would love to hear people's experience on gas mileage. I have a 2013 Platinum 4WD with about 2,500 miles on it. To date I have done mostly suburban non highway driving with a handful of local highway driving mixed in generally trips of 10 to 30 miles. I have been getting only about 15.5 MPG. I would think that I would get something closer to at least the 19MPG City rating. Has anyone else experienced such poor gas mileage
  • gratefuldrivergratefuldriver Member Posts: 7
    We drive the 2013 SL 4wd and have a mix of city/highway. On average we range about 20 mpg and that is in W. NC with hills. I would say it varies on any given day between 19 and 22. When we pull our travel trailer (4300 lb) we average about 12-13 mpg (with serious hills). Mileage to date is 4000 miles. If I were you I would reset the mpg reading and take it on a stretch of highway just to get a hwy reading. The more info you can give the mechanic the better. Good luck.
  • hockeyfoolhockeyfool Member Posts: 30
    I drive a 2013 SL 4wd with 9000 miles on it. I've tracked gpm religiously since day one using a mileage app. My overall average is 22.5 mpg with a low of 20.4 and a high of 25.6. Note that I keep it in 2 wheel drive most times unless 4wd is warranted. Also I have found that the on board mpg readout is typically high by about 1 gpm compared to calculating it out.
  • alaicoalaico Member Posts: 5
    Picked up my new Nissan Pathfinder today.....Platinum with Navigation etc. Was disappointed that the compass is so tiny and very hard to read. Wish it had been a part of the auto dimming mirror. Wonder why that was not included in my vehicle. I think it is in the SL edition, but not in the Platinum. Anyone else disappointed in this?
    I have 1,400 miles on my SL now. I do about 95% city driving with constant starting/stopping on roads here in CT - rarely on the highway. I keep it in 2WD - only use 4WD if need for snow. I average 20 mpg. I'm so impressed with this mpg. I only averaged 16 mpg with my 2006 Highlander.
  • dave_justdavedave_justdave Member Posts: 29
    I use my power trunk/hatch on the pathfinder every day and I dont have any clunk or binding at the top....everything works smoothly. I have the SL. Also, for other posters, my mileage has also been very good - averaging at least 20mpg in city/hwy mix, much much better if it is just highway mileage. I keep the selector in Auto. Dave
  • path_2103path_2103 Member Posts: 1
    Also have the Plat Premium and have it in 2WD. All suburban driving and do not drive aggressive. Averaging 17.2 - 18. Not happy. 5K miles on it.
  • iluvmyshiluvmysh Member Posts: 1
    i'm in socal and have been having some trouble locating a dark slate/charcoal 4WD platinum premium w/ cross bars, illuminated kick boards, and rear bumper guards. am i being too picky???
  • kamilmastakamilmasta Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    I have heard that sound too when i open rear hatch. However it only happened few times so far. I also noticed that when I break and are very close to stopping, the transmission acts strangely, like it is having issues shifting the gear down. It is pretty subtle and maybe I am too sensitive? Anyone has similar problems?
  • kosta1kosta1 Member Posts: 11
    No, you are not. It took me a month to locate one. Surf city Nissan had few of them, but when I got there they try me jerk me upon agreed price. 3 hours on the 405, I was so pissed. Ended up going to Palm Springs for it.
    sell a full cargo mat for a new vehicle with the third row seat down. My upholstery is getting ruined already. Thank for any replies.
  • nettechnettech Member Posts: 4
    You would have to find a generic one that may need to be modified to fit the vehicle. Ebay would be a good starting point. Another option, though it might be too late, is to apply 3M's Scotchguard upholstery protectant to any of the carpeted areas of the car (seats-back and front, floor mats, carpeted floor underneath mat). $20 for a couple of cans will help the carpeted areas of the car resist dirt, grime, and the occasional spilled beverage.
    My dealership got me a mat that fits perfectly. It's Weathertech. Definitely worth the money!!
    Yesterday got both passenger airbag issue & trunk issue fixed. That had to repaint/touch up where the paint was chipped away - but it looks good. So far everything's working good. Fingers are crossed there are no more issues!
    Ok, I have another issue now. When I put the car in reverse the outside side mirrors are supposed to point down toward the ground. Up until yesterday they worked fine. Yesterday & today they're not working at all. Anyone else having similar problems?
    in your navigation you can put it back on in settings. it is an option that you can turn on and off.
    I will have to check that. Thank you!
  • alaicoalaico Member Posts: 5
    On your door you have mirror settings: L and R. If you set this to either one, the mirrors will tilt down in Reverse. If you leave the setting in the Middle, the mirrors will Not move.
    :blush: LOL - yeah - I finally figured that out! thanks!
  • ddm7903ddm7903 Member Posts: 8
    Hi. I have a 2013 SV Pathfinder with around 2,400 miles on it. I've already had it in once for them to look at the brakes. It is the strangest sensation every now and then...I press the brakes and it feels like it is going to go to the floor and not stop. It finally does...but not a normal response. Of course, the service people couldn't get it to do it...I knew that they wouldn't since it has only happened about 1/2 dozen times in the two months I've owned it! They said it is not one of the ones under the recall...but they said "they believed me"...but "had to get it to do it for them to be able to diagnose it". Plus, they said that one other person had brought their Pathfinder in for the same reason, with, of course, the same undiagnosed result. Anyone else have this problem? I drive my two young kiddos around ALL the time in this vehicle and I'm a little anxious about this!
    No, I've never noticed this issue before. Keep us posted on what happens though! Good luck.
    I found this on a NHTSA website. This was the only "complaint" about brakes listed, but sounds like what I have experienced, except not this 'severe':
    THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 NISSAN PATHFINDER. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 5MPH SLOWING DOWN FOR AN INTERSECTION, WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL WAS DEPRESSED THE BRAKE FAILED TO ENGAGE. THE CONTACT WAS ABLE TO PLACE THE GEAR IN PARK TO BRING THE VEHICLE TO A STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION. THE VEHICLE HAD NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 13V139000 (SERVICE BRAKES) PERFORMED; HOWEVER THE REPAIRED DID NOT CORRECT THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER FOR FURTHER INSPECTION. THE POLICE WAS PRESENT. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF FAILURE. THE FAILURE AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 5,000.

Anyway--since the service rep at the dealership mentioned that he had had one other complaint besides mine and I found this, I thought maybe there are others.
    I was thinking about this situation today as I drove into work. I have a Pathfinder SL with about 5000km on it. It seems to me that this may just be the way the CVT transmission works by slowing the vehicle as it downshifts quickly before stopping, then when you have slowed to about 10 mph, you have to fully depress the brake to stop. I dont think this is a flaw with the brakes - it only seems to happen when you are stopping from a brisk speed (ie not stop and go traffic etc). What do you think? Lets have a few guys with this vehicle think about this as they drive and report back, so we can all benefit. I have had to stop quickly once already and trust me, the brakes worked very well, so I think this may just be a cvt transmission/brake issue, not a brake flaw. Dave
    Thanks, Dave. That makes sense. It may just be that it feels "different" which I am interpreting as bad. I'm going to stay alert about it, but I'm going to quit worrying!! And I welcome others observations about it. Otherwise, I LOVE this vehicle!! It has been great having a larger, comfortable SUV with such improved gas mileage!!! Thanks again for your comments.
    Ok, starting to feel like I've got a lemon on my hands! Brought PF in to dealer to get a new tire put on (completely different story there!) - while it was in the shop I had them look into a noise I've been hearing. When going over bumps, you can hear a rattling or clunking sound on the passenger side - in the rear. Dealer just called & said it was "loose torque bushings." They tightened them & the sound is gone now. The service manager was going to take my car for a drive himself & Make sure the problem is in fact fixed.

My question for you guys - what exactly does "loose torque bushings" mean? Is that something that will come loose again? Is this something I should be concered with? What should I be asking the service manager? I will definetly have them explain it to me better when I get the car back, but thought my experts here could also help explain it to me.

Thanks!
    What year is your Pathfinder and how many miles??? This is a pretty common problem on older vehicles but not usually on new ones.... Have you had other problems too? One problem does not usually make someone feel they have a lemon.

I have about 5000 miles/7000 kms now and everything is working beautifully. This is the quietest and most comfortable SUV I have ever owned and the gas mileage is at least 25% better than my Mazda CX9 that I traded in for this.

Dave
    Its a 2013 with almost 6,000 miles on it. Between the air bag sensor, the trunk/hatch clunking when it opened (both of which have been addressed) and now this noise - you start to worry with spending over $30,000 on a brand new vehicle. I got rid of a 2006 Higlander that never had any issues for this car & I'm starting to be leary now. Anyway, picked my PF back up last night. Sound is almost gone. I don't think anyone else would notice it but because I'm tuned in to it - I can still faintly hear it. Dealer told me, among other things - there were rocks/pebbles in the center cross arm(?), the back plate on the brakes also needed to be but back on straight & then again they said something about the torque bushings. :confuse:
    Well that doesnt sound good. Do you drive on a lot of bumpy country or gravel roads? I think the quality of these vehicles has been very good so far. Hopefully that is the end of your problems, otherwise, you might have a Friday car....
  • brew46brew46 Member Posts: 1
    same exact problem. Traveling at 5 mph came to intersection stepped on brake and pedal went to floor. Stopped in middle of intersection. Luckily no one in front or in intersection. Taking car to dealer Monday am
    So...what did the dealer say about your brake problem? I have noticed that the last two times it did that on my vehicle was when I was traveling on a fairly bumpy road.
  • scao1scao1 Member Posts: 7
    I think Nissan has recall about brake on some 2013 PF. Search for Nissan recall on google. Nissan never notice the owners about recall, I have to print it out and took it to dealer , so they fixed for me on airbag sensor and brake problem.
    I just completed my first service here in Canada, no mention of any recalls were made. I havent had any problems at all with my brakes. If anything, I am more critical now, waiting to see if anything happens - so far everything is perfect.
  • scao1scao1 Member Posts: 7
    My 13 PF SL AWD Premium pkg. about 10K miles. I have notice the GAS meter very slow reponse.
    My car gas meter show 3/4 when I drove home from work. Then, I parked the PF in my drive way (the drive way little up the hill). After while, I started the car and saw the gas meter show full until 10 min later (it will be back to 3/4). Have you seem it on your car too ?
    I have not seem the problem with my Toyota.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Just got our 2014pathfinder platinum base yesterday. So far I really like this SUV. Wonder if there is a cargo net available somewhere. I will be ordering some door mouldings when we are in az This winter. Hate to see the doors get dinged by careless people.
    Jim
  • jtmanley1219jtmanley1219 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Nissan pathfinder it had 30 miles on it when I drove off the lot. Two weeks after driving it I felt this shuddering. Took it in and they said they had to download something to the computer and it would be ready the following day, they called the next day and they had to order a part for it and it would be ready the next week. Tuesday of the next week I was called saying it needed a new transmission. It stayed in service for three weeks, I just got it back yesterday and they offered a 100,000 mile warranty and two car notes, after a letter was sent they offered three notes. I haven't accepted it so far. I was even told that if I don't they will take the offer off the table. Signed Confused and Disappointed Customer, What would you do?(it has less than 160 miles)
    Probably a stupid question but what is "car notes"?
    edited August 2013
    Car loans (and other loans) are often referred to as "notes". Probably comes from "promissory notes" even though I'm sure a bankers will tell you that there's a difference between a note promising to pay and a loan agreement.
    I just picked my 2014 Pathfinder and I must say I am impressed by the ride and comfort of this vehicle. Put on about 500 KM so far and it is showing about 30 MPG. I have the platinum edition which has sonar for parking and backing up. I heard it working for a few days but now it is somehow turned off. does anyone know how to enable this feature?? It is probably something easy to do but as of yet I can't figure it out.
    cheers,
    Jim :confuse:
    The backup sonar is enabled or disabled in the main menu, accessible via the buttons on your steering wheel, the menu shows up in the centre console.

Dave
    OK
    Thanks Dave....I havn't had much time to play around with all the settings. The nav system alone will require a degree in navigation technology. My little Garmin is so easy to use compared to the pathfinders system. I tried to enter an address while we were picking up our new vehicle and it couldn't find it in the database, however the street was about 6 or 7 years in existence. I think they get the data from Navtech and I believe it is already outdated. Have you had any problems with the nav system?
    Thanks,
    Jim :(
  • sanchez100sanchez100 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. I have had this happen to me twice in the last month. I was lucky that there were no cars in front of me, but I ended up in the middle of an intersection!I took in the next day and the service tech found nothing wrong. It was hard to describe the sensation when braking but it felt like a rumbling/crunching sound??? Brakes seemed fine after that incident until yesterday, same intersection, it occurred again, like a flashback. I was able to determine a little more however, as this intersection is on a slight hill and as I was approaching the light, maybe 10-15 mph, i braked where the road is extremely bumpy. There must be something about braking on bumpy roads, slightly downhill at a particular speed? I am half kidding, as I do think it is odd that it only happened at that same intersection.
    Thank you for sharing this. I have really been trying to pay attention to the conditions when it happens and had come to a similar conclusion (or at least possible theory). I realized a few days ago that it had happened twice at an intersection I travel on my way to work every day--it is a very bumpy road where I approach a 4-way stop. I find myself now holding my breath whenever I approach that intersection! And another time it had happened was on a bumpy road where I slowed to make a turn. I live in Michigan--and bumpy roads are, unfortunately, the norm! I'm not sure what we can do about it... I think it is worth me reporting this to my service technician at the dealer. If enough of us do it that have had this issue, maybe they will look further into it.
  • sanchez100sanchez100 Member Posts: 2
    This has been very useful. I am going in for service tomorrow and will post any findings, and will definitely share all of these similar experiences, thanks everyone!
    from rear right (passenger) side fender right behind the wheels where the mud guard goes. I have noticed that when the AC is running. The cloth cover, or what ever it is is wet, and I even opened it up, but there is nothing beneath it.