Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape

191011121315»

Comments

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    But the Escape does come with an available 2.5L Duratec engine and there's the option of a 2.0L EcoBoost. Sounds like you walked away with your eyes closed, I hope you didn't bump into anything.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    He didn't bump into anything, he just climbed down the FIRE ESCAPE!!!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I have had nothing but good luck from my various Fords. Let's see: a Fairmont (had that one forever), an F150, a Freestyle (may have lucked out there), and my current Escape Hybrid. My experience is that if they are maintained, they will do well. Of course, there are bad ones with any brand - but that is what lemon laws are for.

It is not always advisable to use what one reads on line as the general indicator of the brand quality. Many folks won't bother coming here unless they are researching problems - so it is somewhat disproportionate representation.

For those following the thread, the 2014 Escape can be ordered with the old-fashioned 2.5L conventional I4 engine, which has a track record of reliability.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    What mileage figures does the 2.5 have? Personally, I think the 1.6 with the turbo just wasn't right for me so I passed. I still like the looks of the Escape, as it is one of the nicest small utes out there but a bit big for what I need and the garage space we have. The Tuscon I finally did purchase fits perfectly and I am very pleased with it. But probably should've checked out the Kia Sportage also before I did purchase. Oh well, such is life!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

No, I walked away and got a better vehicle for me, it's smaller, lighter and easier to toss around so i think I did great and paid just what I wanted to. I knew that my vehicle and $16k cash was the magic number so I am very pleased with the outcome. As we speak, my amp is going in so the tunes should be sounding pretty good this afternoon. I am very very happy here!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

"No, I walked away and got a better vehicle for me, it's smaller, lighter and easier to toss around so i think I did great and paid just what I wanted to. I knew that my vehicle and $16k cash was the magic number so I am very pleased with the outcome. As we speak, my amp is going in so the tunes should be sounding pretty good this afternoon. I am very very happy here! "

I'm glad you found the vehicle that fits what you need! I was mostly posting so that other reading the thread could get additional information...
    edited December 2013
    "What mileage figures does the 2.5 have? Personally, I think the 1.6 with the turbo just wasn't right for me so I passed. I still like the looks of the Escape, as it is one of the nicest small utes out there but a bit big for what I need and the garage space we have. The Tuscon I finally did purchase fits perfectly and I am very pleased with it. But probably should've checked out the Kia Sportage also before I did purchase. Oh well, such is life! "

EPA is 22/31 on the 2.5L I4. They don't break out AWD, which makes me think it may only be available on the FWD model.
    If so, those are pretty good numbers. Last week, I had the chance to drive a 2013 C Max across the state and was very impressed with the whole package, totally impressed. Part of me wishes I could have considered it on my short list as it checks most of my boxes though the seating position isn't as high as I'd like. But besides that one thing, I like the vehicle and the mileage figures...Ford did real good with this vehicle!

The Sandman

• automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    I get 22/30 with my 2.0 Ecoboost FWD. That's only a 1MPG penalty on the Hwy compared to the 2.5. I will take my 240 Hp and 270 lb/ft any day !
    "I get 22/30 with my 2.0 Ecoboost FWD. That's only a 1MPG penalty on the Hwy compared to the 2.5. I will take my 240 Hp and 270 lb/ft any day ! "

But the conventional engine is much simpler than a turbocharged model. That may make a difference to those keeping the vehicle a long time. I realize that this type of engine is used in Europe all the time, but those vehicles typically can't be driven more that a few years because of rust issues (and stricter requirements for rust) anyway, so longer term isn't that much of a problem.

Do you actually get 22/30, or are you quoting EPA? The maximum power and torque are only available when the boost is used, and that takes a lot of fuel. The EPA tests probably don't really use the turbo much at all. Hence, we see a lot of variation in reported MPG here.
  • automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    I am essentially reporting both. I have 53 tanks of fuel that I have kept track of over the last 13 months. (every tank since new) My combined mileage is just over 24 Mpg and that includes trailer towing in the summer as well as Canadian cold snowy-winter-driving. Since the EPA combined rating is 25 Mpg, I would say I am right on track. I have achieved just over 30 Mpg on the hwy with the cruise set at 110 kph or 69 mph. (round trip, full tank, no tail-wind, cruise control, hand calculated) (indicated was 31.5 mpg)
    I can't really say what my city mileage is, as I have never driven a full tank of "city" driving. (very hard to duplicate an EPA city test)

There is no question that when pressed, this engine can burn the fuel, after all it has lots of Hp and torque. But that defines the reason that I bought this configuration. (2.0 and FWD) I need the torque for trailer towing and I enjoy the power as well. I also factory ordered it with Front Wheel Drive, as I thought it a waste to drag an extra 150 lbs of AWD machinery around, that is really quite unnecessary.
    Now I have the option of driving efficiently and getting very acceptable mileage, or bringing on the boost when I want it or need it. (the very definition of EcoBoost)
    I have owned Fords off and on over the years with many other brands in-between. I find my Escape to be a great overall vehicle. It is unfortunate that there have been a number of recalls with the 1.6 as well as a few teething problems in general. I have had no issues with mine at all. Just oil changes. 2.0 and FWD seem to have been the right choice!
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    edited January 2014

I bought a 2013 SEL 1.6 Escape in June of 2013. I have had it 8 months now and just hit 20K miles. I've averaged 29.8 mpg during the summer and it has dropped to 26.8 mpg so far this winter (for details look in escape mpg forum). I love the looks of this vehicle, very pleasing to the eye and fun to drive. I don't use the SYNC system too much and have not had any issues with it so far. The only issues I have with this vehicle so far is that there is no place to put change so I place it one of the cup holders. The other issue is that everything falls out of the glove box when you open it. Also, if you change your own oil be prepared for a chore! The engineers who placed the oil filter where it is need to be beat! It takes about 30 minutes to do because of the air flow panel and tight space of the oil filter. You have to buy a special wrench to get the filter off. Overall, I am happy with it so far.

• skimiksskimiks Member Posts: 2

I leased the titanium 2.0L with 4WD for two years... I intend to purchase this car at the end of my lease. I'm just about a year into the lease and loving the car so far....

• saltspringresaltspringre Member Posts: 1

When I drove my new 2014 escape home from the dealership the transmission was grinding. I had it home total of 16 days while I waited to get it fixed. As of today Glenoak ford has had my car for 26 days and not been able to fix it. It has been a total let down. Ford Canada gave me the number of CAMPVAP to go to arbitration. That is there ideal of customer service. Do not buy one you will be sorry. Please visit my web site. Trying to get 10,000 hits http://myfordescape.blogspot.ca/ No Lemon law in Canada.

• hardin_thickehardin_thicke Member Posts: 35
    I have a 1.6l and it looks just like the picture above. I'm greatly disappointed in the fuel mileage. I'm getting 25 on long trips and 19 mixed. I live in a rural town. If you do your own oil changes, get ready for this one! The filter location is absurd. The battery is tucked way back literally under the windshield. I have no idea how to get to it. I can see a rollback in my future to replace a stupid battery! Now, it's great in the snow; love the AWD. If I had bit to do over again, I'd pass.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

@hardin_thicke, how many miles on yours?

My van had to get towed on a rollback twice in recent weeks. Better add towing coverage to your auto policy. :'(

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303

It looks like you have to remove the air filter box to change the battery.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • hardin_thickehardin_thicke Member Posts: 35
    @Stever@Edmunds
    It has a little over 5G.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Hm, well that's about when many of us start to see mpg creeping up. Maybe the warmer weather will help too.

edited April 2014

Am so glad I passed on the 1.6 last year...all I read led me to believe that it would be a real headache for years to come. I just knew Ford just didn't do their due diligence in the first place with this vehicle so I passed. Am much happier with my Hyundai and it's longer warranty if needed but based on our experience with our '08 Accent and it's one warranty issue at year 4, I'm pretty confident that things will be fine. I got the seating position I wanted and just a bit disappointed with the mpg's but going from a Civic, anything would've been a disappointment actually. I was real close to pulling the trigger on the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, real close, but I got more features for the same price with the Tuscon which was a deal I could live with. If the Mitsu G M hadn't had insisted I drive it off that day, I would've had it in my garage right now! Jerk!!!

The Sandman

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303

When was the last time you read about an issue with the 1.6 that hasn't been addressed many months ago?

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239

Have 5 2012 Escapes in my fleet, and one 2013 SEL now. My drivers love the performance and everything else about the car. Only issues have been oil leaks - the left front CVJ boot tore, allowing oil to leak out to the wheel. Ford replaced it free, of course. While there, the dealer noticed some seepage around the something or other cover, and fixed that too. I've been buying Escapes for my fleet since 2006, and have been extremely satisfied. Never had a bad one. 15 Escapes later, still think they are the best Courier vehicle around. Depreciation is minimal, performance is awesome, and the drivers love how they fit. Even had one Hybrid. Actually got better mileage than a Camry Hybrid I had.

Refused to buy a 1.6 one back in December and am still very happy I decided to run the other way. My Tuscon has been a great vehicle and we are very happy with it and it's great warranty. So far, nothing to go back to dealer for except it's first gratis oil change.
    Like the looks of the Escape but after what i read about that engine, no way would I ever think to purchase one!

The Sandman

• tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Sorry but I started a new thread for the 2014 escape drivers mirror whistle and should've posted here and not a new thread titled drivers side mirror whistle.

Found that someone beat us to the punch on the dead pedal issue.

We cut a piece of stair tread ribbed rubber and attached Velcro hook tape pieces to its back and put it over the dead pedal area while still using the factory carpet mat.

I did buy custom molded mats for our JKUR that someone else is hopefully enjoying now that that vehicle is a did own vehicle.