Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Noise at start up

mah32572mah32572 Member Posts: 2
I have a 08' Silverado with a 5.3L AFM with 72k miles. I use Mobil 1 5w30 and ac delco filter. The truck has a loud ticking noise when it starts, it does not do it all the time but is getting worse. I took it to a dealer they had it two days and found nothing wrong. Five days later it was so loud I recorded it on my phone which lasted two minutes while the truck idled in my garage. I sent the recording to the dealer over a week ago and have heard nothing. U The noise gas gotten so bad that you can hear it in the cab as you drive down the road and lasted a whole 7 minutes this morning. I have been around cars all my life, currently have an old Vette in my garage doing a frame off. I am smart enough to know there is something wrong but no one seems to care guess GM assumes if the engine makes it to 5 years or 100k miles they are off the hook. Very disappointing, I just want my truck fixed before I get stuck with the bill!!!

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Hello mah32572,

If you wanted for us to work with you on finding another dealership for a second opinion on the noise you're hearing with your Silverado, or check into the diagnosis performed by your current dealership, please send us more information at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    edited October 2012
    This isn't the return of the famous "piston slap" is it. :confuse: My 2000 Silverado w/5.3 auto 2wd has had this issue since day one. All GM did was extend my engine warranty to 5yrs/100k. Good news is the engine is still running the same knock/tick and all w/ 95k on odo. I do have to let it warm up till knock can't be heard before I put it in gear (2 minutes) longer in winter.
    I also have the drivers side rear exhaust manifold stud broken off (from the factory do to over torquing it during assembly) which causes a ticking sound until everything heats up and it seals itself. You might want to check for a broken stud on exhaust manifold cuz that takes longer time frame to go away and it comes back every time you start the truck till it heats up and seals itself. You can't get to this rear stud for a fix unless you pull the head and drill it out (mucho $$ to do that repair) Wish I had noticed that before the warranty had expired.
    All I can say is keep good documentation, but don't expect to much help from GM they already got your money when you bought their product and your beyond :lemon: law time frame. If you haven't spoken to GM Customer Service Rep. I suggest you do and get a file started. Good Luck with your GM (General Malfunction) vehicle. Keep us posted.

Ray T
  • mah32572mah32572 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate your quick response to my posting. On my way home this evening I stopped by another dealer and met with their Service Manager. He listened to my video and agrees there is something wrong with the engine and believes he already knows what the problem is. I have made arrangements to leave the truck with them the first of next week. I will keep you posted on the outcome.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We look forward to hearing more from you! Again, the best way to contact us would be via email at socialmedia@gm.com

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chevy_sucks1chevy_sucks1 Member Posts: 3
    Well this must be how gm makes their money back for rebates when you buy a chevy! They don't want to admit there is problem till after warranty runs out then just take to your local dealer for a frickn $125 diagnosis to tell you its going to be your responsabilty to pay for lifters and cam shaft....I've seen quouts for up to $2500 to fix a problem that gm should of due to poor worksmanship on their side..ill never buy another chevy again this silverado is my 5th chevy I bought..I guess toyota has new buyer at least japan makes cars that last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My 07 silverado truck has had throttle pedel assembly replaced twice,tire pressure sensors are all bad interior falling apart what a pile of crap...it has only72000 non towing miles with mobil 1 full synthetic oil an ac delco stock filter every oil change and now I have crazy loud lifter knock when cold I'm told by gm that my 5yr warranty up even tho only have 72000 miles on it what a disappointment and too check what's wrong I have to pay $125 to diagnose the problem that you can here from 20 feet away...IF YOUR CHECK engine light comes on with stabilitrack warning comes on sell your vehicle right away or pay out the nose to fix yourself..
    Chevy Sucks:

Take note that GM Sarah (to me) is a useless piece of trash posing as a GM Customer Service rep who is merely a go between with the GM Service Dept. you chose to bring your bucket of bolts to. Her purpose is self serving and she does nothing for you other than setting up an appointment that you can well do yourself. If your within warranty time frame not an issue, if your out of warranty your gonna pay period ! The customer is better off calling GM and starting a complaint file ( as long as your warranty is still valid). The other tool is NHTSA complaint.

GM Sarah,your function on this board is actually disgraceful, stop posing as someone who cares when all you actually do is justify your job by pretending to do a service to those GM owners wronged by a defective product. :lemon: They can just as well make an appt. with a dealer as well as you which really seems to be your only function in "caring" about the once loyal GM customers with legitimate product problems.

I have always found it easier to represent myself rather than using a poser like GM Sarah

Ray T
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning chevy_sucks1,

If you would like for us to follow up with your dealership to see if there are any options, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership)

• wog6269wog6269 Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like piston slap I I have 2001sierra with start up noise. Started at about 10k,now have 152k. Dealer was no help could not replicate problem,the did not want to fix,cause no permanent solution. Noise comes back,short of new motor.get extended warranty out of them,maybe some free oil changes.they start playing with your motor could cause other issues.your abs might head south,truck won t stop quickly eventually it will .lance gmc says it was normal.i just don t go to dealer for any help,no satisfaction or concern by them.oh we'll good luck. Truck will run long time ,noise will not go away.
    As I stated back on my posts, it is definitely the famed "piston slap" issue. GM will do nothing for you. In fact they'll do as much for you as the Poser GM Sarah....NOTHING.
    My :lemon: 2000 Silverado has the 5.3 and the piston slap. The routine I suggest you follow short of replacing the engine is simple; start it up and let it idle for 4 to 5 minutes (yea I know it means you have to sit and wait) by doing so it lets the engine temp heat up and the metal parts to expand to within tolerance range, the slap goes away and your on your way with the GM junk we all once trusted. I have followed this routine for all 96k miles I have on my truck and it has not had any ill effects other than an annoyance factor. GM extended my engine warranty to a 5 yr/100k when I established my case file back in 2001.
    The final advice is show GM your lack of confidence in their products when it comes time for a new truck, buy something other than GM. They will never go belly up because our government bails them out when they do stupid things.........as Larry the Cable Guy stated "ya can't fix stupid"

As for GM Sarah, she can take a long walk off a short pier in shark infested waters to join the bottom feeders she swims with, no one would miss her, not even her children if anyone was stupid enough to mate with her....... :surprise:

Case closed.... Ray T :shades:
    Ok with all this information I've been givin let me start by saying the problem the whole time was bad cat's....when they finally pluged up anough that truck gave a po420 code noise is gone dealer replacing cat's as I type hope it is fixed for good this time....hope this helps others out with their trucks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    It's great to hear that they've found the cause, chevy_sucks1! Let us know how everything is running after the repairs!