Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Toyota Highlander

ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
edited December 2013 in Toyota
Any word on when the newly re-designed 2014 Hignlander will debut? It should be soon. Any available spy pics? And what would your wish list include for new changes or features? I currently own a 2010 LTD HL and like it alot, but would like to see the following safety features added: Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear cross traffic Alert like the 2013 Avalon Touring and LTD have. I also would like Toyota to add a factory installed (the after market units usually dont work that well) rear sonar sensor(s) system to the rear bumper like they have done to the Sequoia and Sienna, again for safety reasons. Even though my 2010 HL has a back up camera, it frequently gets covered with rain and road grime preventing an acceptable view of what is behind the vehicle, like kids and pets, or objects which might damage the back of vehicle. Thanks.

Jake

Comments

• luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    Highlanders are on 7 year production cycle. Next one will be available in spring of 2015.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    More like in Q2 this year. ;)

You'll learn more after the Tundra launch at the Chicago Auto Show next month.
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    edited January 2013
    Wonder when we will first see the 2014 HL without all the Camo? (check this link: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/09/all-new-toyota-highlander-snapped-while-testi- - ng/ )

2013 Chicago auto show?

Jake
    I just said after Chicago! More like the New York Auto Show in April.

Toyota has to get the Rav4 rolling this month, and then launch the new Tundra in Chicago. Then comes the HL this Spring, and the Corolla comes for the fall..... :shades:
    Looks like it's been backed up until November in LA :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBPJM8bEvoU&list=HL1360268710&feature=mh_lolz
  • wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    Damn - they can back it up another year or two as far as I'm concerned. My 2012 HL won't be paid off until 2016.... Of course it is, as expected, boringly dependable -- just the way I like them (as was my 2005 HL).
    edited March 2013
    The 2014 HL reveal is just around the corner (Wednesday 3/27); click on following link: link title

It should be interesting.

Jake
    edited March 2013
    Steve, I believe this is a pic of the 2011 Highlander Hybrid, not the 2014. Please click on the following link for pics of 2011 HLH for comparison: link title

Hopefully, non-camo 2014 HL pics will break cover soon, before the NY Autoshow in 2 weeks.

Jake
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, it even said it was a 2013 on the photo caption. :blush:

Toyota's really playing hide the ball, waiting for the 3/27 NY show.
    edited March 2013
    For the reveal of the 2014 Highlander, click on following links:

1.) link title
    2.) link title
    3.) link title

Front-end Design:
    Some of you may find the new front-end design an improvement, and to some degree I do, with 'dynamic', 'sleek' and 'strong' (???) design elements (Toyota speak/spin), but I am very underwhelmed/disappointed in Toyota's Calty (Newport Beach and Ann Arbor) team results/design execution. Why can't these guys and gals get the grill design to something good. To me, they could have done much better. First the polarizing grill design of the 2013 Avalon, and now this 2014 Highlander front-end disappointment :( .

Interior Design/Safety Features/Performance:
    However, I must say the interior design elements and notable improvements shine :shades: (better soundproofing and road noise insulation, increased 2nd and 3rd row space/accessibility, better dash layout and design and heated steering wheel for those cold mornings and days), and significant safety improvements/additions (Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Departure Alert, Pre-collision System, and rear parking sonar for when the back-up camera image is poor and gets dirty/smudgy on rainy days) are sincerely appreciated. Additionally, fuel efficiency should improve somewhat with the new 6 speed auto transmission.

Jake
    2014 Toyota Highlander Gets a Makeover, More Room

This better be a 2014 pic, lol:

Yep!

What's your take of the new front-end/grill design?

Jake
    edited March 2013
    Seen lots worse. :-)

Not thrilled about all the chrome but in the real world it probably won't look so "flashy".

Similar window trim around the CR-V hasn't hurt sales any so it's probably just me.
  • mailmanronmailmanron Member Posts: 9
    Was considering a 2013 but hated the headlights. Looks like they corrected them and moved the UGLY to the taillights. Why they need to protrude beyond the body is a mystery to me. Guess I'll put new tires on the '09 or opt for a similar looking Honda CRV.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2013
    anyone know when the 2014 HL will be released for sale?
    edited June 2013
    Does anyone know if the 2014 Highlander will have the top view, bird's-eye camera system to enhance safety and security?

So far, I have not found any info from Toyota or other sources that this feature will be on the 2014 Highlander. However, it is currently available from Nissan (2013 Pathfinder), Infinity (2013 JX/2014 QX60), Acura (2014 MDX), BMW (2013 X3 and X5), Audi (2013 Q5 and Q7), and Mercedes (ML/GL).

Nothing official yet on 2014 Highlander release date, but most estimates are this fall (Sept--> Nov).

Thanks!
    Just like the Rav4 this year. The new Corolla will get the launch this fall, and the Highlander 3 months later.
  • whatcanisay3whatcanisay3 Member Posts: 1
    Probably not.

Toyota is the Apple of the Auto Industry. Short on competitive features but solid reliability.

Case in point: my 2011 Highlander. Competing models already have side mirror blinkers, blind spot monitoring, lines on the the backup camera, hands free parallel parking, and updated nav with 3d/birds eye view... The Highlander? NADA.

Their message: Live with what we provide you with.
    Other companies need those bells-and-whistles. How about making a better SUV?

Toyota makes a stud of an SUV that gets up to 28 MPG combined. When will the competition catch up to that feature? :blush:
    edited July 2013
    To those guys who think Toyota (Highlander) can rest on its 'laurals' and not offer improved/additional tech and safety features to maintain a competative edge and market share, you are sorely mistaken. Why do you think the new 2014 Highlander is offering all the updated tech and safety features on the 2014 vs 2013 Highlander and improved spacious, quiet and more user-friendly cabin atmosphere/environment on the 2014 HL? It's not for guys like whatcanisay, empoweredbc and myself, it's for the moms and grandmoms who more and more increasingly have significant input on the final decision for a household and family on what will be the safest and most comfortable ride for them and their family and to bring their kids and grandkids to school, sporting events, grocery shopping, etc, etc. And they should. Toyota should lead not follow! Don't the former tech giants Microsoft, and now Apple teach us a lesson or two about resting on 'laurals' ---> following and not continuing to be leaders/innovators?

When the 2014 Highlander hits the Toyota dealers in ~ January it will face stiffer and stiffer competition, which is good because we the consumers are the ultimate benefactors by improved and better products. Competition is good!

I/we currently own a 2010 Highlander LTD AWD (purchased new) and like it alot, but I am (with significant input from my wife and daughter---Re: grandkids) seriously considering upgrading to a new 2014 HL LTD AWD, or one of it's competitors, with all the new tech and safety features ('bells and whisles') now or soon to be offered. I previoulsy owned a 2003 Honda Pilot (purchased new) before I traded for my/our current ride, but became frustrated with Honda's 'laurals' approach of not addressing the well documented and anoying road noise issue (RNI), which was one of the major reasons I traded the Pilot for the much quieter HL (instead of getting an updated Pilot). Apparently Honda has finally gotten the message from owners of Pilots (and other Honda products) and Consumer Reports persistent negative comments about the Honda RNI and are addressing it in much improved soundproofing in new releases (ie, 2013 Accord and 2014 MDX), and reportedly in the upcoming complete make-over of the 2015 Pilot (to be revealed at the Jan 2014 Detroit Auto Show, and reportedly to hit the Honda dealers shortly thereafter, Q1/Q2, as an early release).

Other 2014 Highlander Competitors
    I recently test drove the completely revised 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, and found it to be a nice ride with good acceleration but was surprised to find it did not have most of the tech and safety features that most of the new mid-sized SUVs/CUVs now or are soon to offer (for example, it does not have Blind Spot Monitor/Warning, Lane Change/Departure Warning/Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, etc, even in it's higher trim levels---Platinum and Platinum Premium, nor will these features be offered for perhaps another 2-4 years); additionally, leg room for the driver and front passenger is quite cramped for long-legged folks like myself in the new Pathfinder, whereas I have no problem with leg room in the HL, so the Pathfinder does not pass muster on several levels. I also recently test drove the newly redesighned 2014 Kia Sorrento LTD AWD which does have all the tech and safety features the 2014 HL LTD AWD reportedly will have, but the Sorrento doesn't ride as nice as my 2010 HL LTD AWD, AND the driver's seat is/was VERY uncomfortable compared to my HL, even on a short test drive (after repeated adjustments), so it is out of the question for me.
    I also recently test drove the newly revised 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD AWD (and Summit AWD) (V-6 gas and V-8), and the 2014 MDX Tech AWD and was very impressed by both of these HL LTD AWD competitors. The main disadvantage to the Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) is that it only has 2 rows vs 3 (but I/we rarely use the 3rd row on our HL), whereas the JGC is a super off-road (one of the very best, in fact) and very well behaved on-road performer, has superior towing ability over the HL, AND will soon be available with a V-6 diesel that will give maximum grunt (torque), while being able to deliver impressive fuel efficiency (28-32 MPG) and good acceleration, very impressive for a 5,000 lb vehicle. (If 3 rows is a must consider JGC's cousin, the newly revised 2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD and Citadel AWD with diesel). The diesel JGC LTD AWD will probably cost ~ $2-4 K more than a loaded 2014 HL LTD AWD, but that initially higher cost will soon be made up after 2-3 years of Jeep ownership due to better fuel efficiency (@ 15,000 mi/yr). BTW, the 2014 JGC LTD AWD diesel up-charge is considerably less than the $6-8 K up-charge Toyota charges/penalizes buyers of the hybrid HL LTD AWD over the non-hybrid HL LTD AWD for the same 28 or better MPG that the 2014 JGC AWD diesel gets, don't you agree empoweredbc? :blush: I have not yet test driven the 2014 diesel JGC LTD AWD, but the reviews in the automotive press are full of praise. I plan to test drive the diesel as soon as they hit dealers in my area (reportedly Q4/2013).

The 2014 MDX Tech AWD disadvantage compared to the 2014 HL LTD AWD is cost (estimated $6-8 K+ differential, after discounting in 6-12 months)(however, cost of 2014 MDX Tech AWD will be about the same as the 2014 hybrid HL LTD AWD, but somewhat less fuel efficient: 22-23 vs 28 MPG), and premium fuel (MDX) vs regular (HL), but this is really only ~ $170/yr/15,000 miles/yr @ 22 MPG for each vehicle. The advantages of the 2014 MDX Tech AWD over the 2014 HL LTD AWD is that the MDX has (from my/our perspective) a much better exterior/interior design and layout of the dash/center stack, better nav unit + larger screen(s), better steering wheel controls, better sound system, etc, AND performance (better road-holding AWD system, and acceleration).

Short List
    So going into 2014 my short list is: 2014 HL LTD AWD, 2014 JGC LTD AWD Diesel, and the 2014 MDX Tech AWD; I will need to compare/test drive these guys some more over the next 8-12 months + 2015 Pilot before I/we make a final decision.

The following excellent and candid video and print reviews by Alex Dykes describe/showcase the 2014 JGC AWD and the 2014 MDX AWD. Click on the following links to view: JGC (link title); MDX (link title ). I'm looking forward to Alex Dykes reviews of the 2014 HL LTD AWD, Dodge Durango R/T AWD diesel and 2015 Honda Pilot Touring AWD in 4-8 months.

Please share your comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Jake
    edited August 2013
    "BTW, the 2014 JGC LTD AWD diesel up-charge is considerably less than the $6-8 K up-charge Toyota charges/penalizes buyers of the hybrid HL LTD AWD over the non-hybrid HL LTD AWD for the same 28 or better MPG that the 2014 JGC AWD diesel gets, don't you agree empoweredbc?"

The two vehicles are more apples and oranges. Their target demos should not be the same. A hybrid not meant to go off-road with 3 rows vs a 5-seater diesel with extreme off-road ability.

If you drive more city/grocery getting/carrying family, the hybrid will be better on gas. I would EXPECT 25-30 MPG in normal use. If you are heavy on hwy driving, and may use the vehicle more as a camp site caravan, the JGC will probably be better. I would EXPECT around 30 MPG in hwy use, but more like 20 MPG as a city crossover

The JGC will be a better luxury vehicle, but it will be more expensive than the most expensive HL. The HL will be bigger, roomier and more versatile for family needs

The JGC is more for active singles who want the image the Jeep provides, want a lot of lux, and occasionally take other couples to dinner on Friday nights. The HL is more of a straight family vehicle.
  • dhallorandhalloran Member Posts: 5
    Ushy: Thanks for your detailed post. I'm shopping some of the same vehicles. I can't do the JGC though since it's 2-rows only. (Wish they'd come out with the new Grand Wagoneer!)

Right now I'm between the 2014 Highlander LTD AWD, the 2014 MDX Advance AWD, and the 2014 Durango Citadel AWD. Other contenders might be the Ford Flex Ecoboost or the Explorer Sport.

(By the way, there is no diesel Durango yet as far as I know, at least in the US. If there was I'd be driving it already! I think Chrysler has said they'll wait to see how the RAM 1500 Ecodiesel sells).

The Highlander seems to have the competition beat on MPG and price, but unfortunately it's still not in showrooms. To get ventilated seats and Adaptive Cruise Control on the Acura you need to move up to the Advance package. Acura's ACC is "low-speed follow" and Dodge's ACC is full-range "with stop" -- not sure if the HL's ACC will be full-range/speed or just over ~20 mph.

Another potential competitor I'm considering waiting for is be VW's Crossblue, three rows with a diesel hybrid in concept form, but that might be a year or more wait?

Thanks again for your post. I'll keep following this forum -- hopefully we'll see the Highlander soon!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Don't think the 14 Highlander is due out until late in the year, then several months later comes the '15 Honda Pilot based off the new MDX last I heard. Of course, coming out and dealers having much inventory are two different things. Probably need to add a few more months for all of that.
    edited November 2013
    The Toyota Harrier is an SUV/CUV vehicle sold in Japan that shares many design elements, parts, and safety features and content with the Highlander and Lexus. The completely redesigned 2014 Harrier will be revealed in a couple of days at the 2013 Toyota Auto Show, and is previewed in the following link: link title. Page down on the previous link and click on 'Press Release' for more info. One of the new technologies/safety features that will be introduced on the 2014 Harrier is the 'Panoramic View Monitor' to help Toyota owners be able to park in tight locations, but also to act as a security feature for owners of Toyota cars and SUVs/CUVs as the driver approaches their vehicle in parking lots, especially on dark nites.
    Safety and Driving Support
    Some of Toyota's most advanced features are available on the redesigned Harrier, including a Panoramic View Monitor9 for improved lateral visibility. This system combines video from four cameras mounted to the front and rear sides of the vehicle, offering a view of everything happening around the car, including in blind spots. The display is automatically adjusted based on gear-stick operation, with the system able to display enlarged views from above the vehicle. Users are notified of pedestrians and objects approaching from the front and rear sides. This is a Toyota-first feature.

This technology can be easily linked to smart phone apps (soon to be developed), so a driver can easily activate this tech and monitor the area surrounding their vehicle on their smart phone as they approach the vehicle, to help avoid close encounters with 'the bad guys.'

It is my hope and request that Toyota adds this important safety feature to the 2014 Highlander, to make it easier to park in close quarter situations, and help keep our families safer.

Toyota's competition has also introduced similar tech in high end vehicles (Aud Q5/Q7, BMW X3/X5
    and M-B ML/GL), but also in the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, the Around View Monitor:
    Around View® Monitor

Using four cameras, the class-exclusive Around View® Monitor (AVM) creates a composite image of the 2014 Pathfinder from above and displays it on the touch-screen monitor. This helps visually confirm the vehicle’s position relative to the lines around parking spaces and adjacent objects, allowing the driver to maneuver into parking spots with more ease. [*]

Honda/Acura is also working on a similar technology/safety feature and will introduce it soon on the Odyssey, Pilot, and MDX.

Jake
  • tachida2tachida2 Member Posts: 47
    Ltd version comes with,blind spot monitor w/ Rr cross traffic alert,smart stop tech, folding htd pwr side mirrors,backup camera w/ 8in disp,rear package sonar, etc
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for your post tachida2.

Yes, the 2014 HL LTD will reportedly come with the items you mentioned, but thus far I have not seen any credible info stating the 2014 HL LTD will come with the Panoramic View Monitor/Camera System, described in post #19 and #27. But I hope it will.

Jake
    It's not long now. For just released pricing and availability info for the 2014 HL and HHL, click on this link: link title .

Jake
  • alex0527alex0527 Member Posts: 1
    December 2, 2013

News Release

PRINCETON, Ind. –Toyota Indiana and its team members will be joined Thursday by community leaders to celebrate the start of production of its all-new 2014 Highlander.

The launch of the new Highlander is a significant milestone for the company and represents an additional $430 million investment responsible for 600 jobs at the automotive manufacturing facility.
    Who:
    Toyota Indiana and community leaders

What:
    Start of production for the all-new 2014 Toyota Highlander

When:
    Thursday, Dec. 5

Source: Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana Inc.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=62608
    edited December 2013

2014 Highlander First Drive Reviews and Video (refer to following links):

Video review: (http:// "http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/12/first-drive-video-review-2014-toyota-highlander/")

Print review: (http:// "http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/17/2014-toyota-highlander-review-first-drive/")

The 2014 Highlander should arrive at a dealer near you in 2-3 weeks!

ATTENTION FORUM MONITOR---KAREN:
    Using this new forum layout and posting to it is TERRIBLE!!!
    It is very BUGGY, user UNFRIENDLY and NOT intuitive! And WHY are the posts not numbered for each forum as they had been in the past, to allow easy cross referencing? PLEASE rectify these shortcomings ASAP!

Jake

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,778

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

ATTENTION FORUM MONITOR---KAREN:
    Using this new forum layout and posting to it is TERRIBLE!!!
    It is very BUGGY, user UNFRIENDLY and NOT intuitive! And WHY are the posts not numbered for each forum as they had been in the past, to allow easy cross referencing? PLEASE rectify these shortcomings ASAP!

Jake

I know it is a dramatic change, however, the old platform was dying. We had been plagued with performance issues for a long time and receiving little support from that provider. We had no choice but to go with something different.

You can use the "Quote" button as I have done here to pull the comment you are replying into your post. Also, if you want to link to a specific comment, right click on the date beneath the screen name. Select copy link location. Then paste it into your comment. Example:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/3902427/#Comment_3902427

Please go to our Navigation Tips for other helpful info.

• fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92

I believe 2014 will have 11 trim levels

• ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    edited January 2014

I just ordered the new 2014 Highlander Limited Platinum. It is sweet !!! You must see it in person to appreciate the new design..the pics really don't do it justice. After trying many other 2014 SUV's including the MDX, this won me over. The MDX is a great SUV, but the new Highlander offers everything it does including a few other features such as the Panoramic Moonroof, sunshades on the side doors, and it's styling is yes, more exciting than the MDX. The MDX looks too much like a minivan with it's redesign. The 2014 Highlander is much more quiet than the 2008 that I previously had before trading for a 2013 Venza ( big mistake ) . The Highlander does not have the blind spots that the 2008 had..that has been improved with the larger windows and back design. The interior should win awards ! The fit and finish is beautiful, no cheap plastics.....very much in the luxury cat. The LED lights for the dials, dash, on the doors which light at night are awesome...it also lights the shelf which is a very creative addition to the interior. I put my iphone right on that shelf while testing this SUV....Awesome !I also drove a Lexus RX350, the highlander beats it hands down in comfort and better materials inside....It didn't before, but it does now...trust me on this. I ordered the first Limited Platinum model...I should have it by February as it will be built ...beautiful color....Creme Brulee with Almond interior.
    Many people are commenting about how ugly this new Highlander is...please see it in person....it will change your mind. The minute I saw this, i knew it would be my choice.

• sahil908sahil908 Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2014

@Ronn

Are you saying the 2014 Highlander is already available? What did you pay for it? Lease or finance? Thanks!

• ckkckk Member Posts: 5

Ronn what state did you purchase in? These are my findings in IL:

Most are at MSRP others are $500 off. One dealer was $2000 off and another was 7.5% under sticker. It seems as they have received these early and don't know what to do. Since they are still selling 2013's cheap I am guessing they will wait until inventory is down a bit. I would think by the end of January the places that deal will start doing so.

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571

The 2014 Highlanders are available here in Southeastern PA. The local dealer has 12 of them sitting on their lot. Noticed them yesterday as we drove by.

• sahil908sahil908 Member Posts: 60

Yep, I test drove one in NYC. Beautiful car but gotta wait for some good deals...

• bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184

I took the XLE for a short test drive during the Arctic Vortex earlier in the week in North Jersey. The Highlander accelerated quickly and it has a nice interior. I am driving a 2000 Honda Odyssey at the moment, and coming from a minivan, I found the 3rd row space very disappointing, along with the limited rear cargo space. Of the newer CUVs I've tested so far, the 3rd row of the Pathfinder appeared to be the easiest for entry and I was able to fit back there. I am 5'9". However, it appears that the Pathfinder is unreliable. I guess the CVT is not ready on a bigger vehicle yet. The Highlander is still a candidate. But, I guess I will wait for the 2015 Pilot and CX-9 for comparison. Besides, the HL isn't discounted all that much yet being a new vehicle. I'll wait for Toyota to work out the kinks as well during the first year. Perhaps, I'll wait for the 2016 and hope that the 4th tranny in my Odyssey can go that far. I'll give the Highlander 4 out of 5 stars for now. It's reasonable, but rear cargo space and 3rd row is a disappointment.

• fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92

Bg18947
    What dealer did you test drive the XLE from?

• watkinstwatkinst Member Posts: 119

Think of the 3rd row in the non Mini van or full sized SUV's as a over flow seat and not a seat you would use on a regular basis. Which case no 3rd row use or intention of being used - the Jeep GC, Ford Explorer, GM something SUV's would be your typical comparison vehicles.

For kicks you might as well drive a Subaru Outback if you want power test drive the 3.6L its handling and AWD system makes the Toyota a joke. Where Toyota wins is in the quality of materials touch and feel dept with the interior and the bells and whistles they offer if thats your sort of thing.

edited March 2014

2014 Highlander Video Reviews (VR's): (Alex Dykes VR Pt 2 with Entune Tutorial, 2014 HL LTD Platinum AWD VR, Child Seat Install/Review, Engineering Goals/Detail, IIHS Offset Crash Test Results)

You may find the following videos/info of the 2014 Highlander helpful:

---Alex Dykes revised (full) video review, which also includes an updated embedded video/tutorial of the Entune Premium JBL Audio (version 2) Infotainment System; the revised 2014 XLE HL AWD video review also compares the HL to several competitors including the MDX, Pilot, Durango, Pathfinder, and others starting at about 14:30 min. into the video: (http:// "http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_977613921&feature=iv&src_vid=2zoTauv15ZM&v=EUR81WtMNdY")

---Everyman Diver video review of 2014 HL LTD Platinum AWD: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTyyeuSdA5I")

---Alex Dykes video of CHILD SEAT install/review in 2014 HL XLE: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eijrOfwV88")

---Toyota engineering objectives/details for the 2014 HL: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlCrEU58Dlc")

---IIHS 2014 HL Small Offset Crash Test Results; Printed list of 2014 IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus Awards, with 2014 HL being the only winner in the non-luxury mid-size SUV class : (http:// "http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/thirty-nine-vehicles-meet-tougher-criteria-to-earn-2014-safety-awards-from-iihs"), and video of crash test: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kh__0HvOSA")

Jake

You're a video junkie Jake. :-) Thanks for the links!

edited March 2014

2014 Highlander Feature Content Instructional Videos

If the 2014 Highlander is on your short list in your SUV/CUV search you may find the following feature content instructional videos helpful in making your decision. Some of these were obviously produced for/by Toyota using a somewhat precocious kid to demonstrate ease of use/set-up of the features.

1) Center Multi-informational Display: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPHH7K1i5LY")

2) Panoramic Moon Roof and Power Cover: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmiVpXPPDo")

3) Rear Parking Sonar: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-Uxrv3hoo")

4) Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-traffic Alert: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oO-nYI5ix0")

5) Height Adjustable Memory Lift Gate: (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOk6Bt2fkM")

6) Phone Pairing W/Bluetooth and Entune (short version): (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja6-odv1A1U")

7) Phone Pairing W/Bluetooth and Entune (Long version, Part 1): (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka31FDPRON8")

8) Phone Pairing W/Bluetooth and Entune (Long version, Part 2): (http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAFzNHX_Prs")

9) Phone UN-Pairing W/Bluetooth/Entune (in a Prius; same steps in 2014 HL with slightly different button layout than this video): http:// "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8eG1U6cVk")

Enjoy!

Jake

edited March 2014

Multiple Entune Tutorials for Highlander and other Toyota Models

Check these out (for basic/advanced Nav utilization, voice commands, get Sports scores/info, get Stock info, using Bing, Pandora, iHeart Radio, Yelp, Open Table, Weather, verbal remote dialing of you phone contacts, and so much more): (http:// "")

Keep in mind your data usage though, since if you like to use Pandora, and other apps that utilize lots of data, you may want to have an unlimited data service plan with your service provider (ie, ATT, Verizon, etc) otherwise you can easily run up a HUGE phone bill fast!

Jake

edited April 2014

We got one!

2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test.

It was almost $40k by the time it was loaded up with options (gotta test everything you know. :) )

edited April 2014

Consumer Reports rates 2014 Highlander Best in Class (with some concerns)

Check out their review: (http:// "http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/toyota/highlander/road-test.htm#roadtestvideo")

Jake

edited April 2014

CBS News Reports: IIHS Small Offset Crash Test Results for 2014 Mid-sized SUVs/CUVs: Chevy, GMC, Toyota--> Best; Honda--> Worst

Check it out: (http:// "http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/chevy-gmc-and-toyota-earn-top-ratings-in-crash-test/")

Jake

• rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2014

Toyota sacrifices beauty for sake of safety. :) My 07 RAV4 not included.

edited April 2014

2014 Highlander Headlight and Taillight design: Bubblicious or Bubble-Ugly?

I agree with rockmobile! I say Bubble-Ugly!

I sure hope Toyota will remove or redesign/modify the design language of the bubble/blister-like headlights and taillights of the new Highlander. We hear the rationale (from Toyota engineers and sales folk) for this offensive/polarizing design is to utilize this design + vortex generators to both increase MPG and decrease intrusive wind/road noise, but there are many other ways to get even better fuel efficiency, and other methods to decrease wind/road noise without making the car look ugly.

To get better fuel efficiency for the V6 (non-hybrid) HL: use cylinder deactivation (at cruising speeds) as many mfg's are using, including Honda; utilize Start/Stop Tech, which many German and Asian mfg's are using; decreasing vehicle weight by utilizing reinforced aluminum parts--> hood, quarter-panels, and components like strut housings, etc, etc, without compromising safety (like Ford's upcoming F-150, Explorer, Expedition, and GM's Chevy Trucks, Buick and Caddy models, and Honda's MDX, and others); going to an 8 speed AT (yes, I know the HL just went to the 6 speed AT, but by going to the 8 spd AT (like the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Durango, and others), which the HL could pull from the Toyota/Lexus parts bin, it could increase the combined MPG by ~ 2 mpg); replace side mirrors with cameras as suggested by Tesla,Toyota and others ((http:// "http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/01/tesla-behind-lobbying-push-ditching-side-mirrors/ ")), improving aerodynamics and thereby improving fuel efficiency and decreasing wind noise; and, by employing all of the above methods could likely improve the combined MPG by 6-8+ MPG, again, for the non-hybrid V6 gas HL!
    To further reduce intrusive wind/road noise, utilize more noise reducing glass in the rear part of the HL, plus more/better insulation.

To the Toyota Highlander design team, please consider utilizing the above suggestions, and don't cut off the Highlander's nose to spite it's face and rear. You guys and gals of the 2014 Highlander design team have made significant improvements for the 2014 over the 2013 HL and deserve praise, but you could do much better on headlight and taillight design, and hopefully you will for the HL mid-cyle design refresh in 3-4 years.

Jake