Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    The Canadians I have talked to are pretty much the same as I am on this issue. I was surprised to learn they can own a machine guns, I have bought gun parts for my Enfields from and outfit in Ontario. We had quite the discussion in this issue. Weird huh.

One thing I noticed in the Jeep owners manual is that the Canadian version has to have to lights on at all times. It says that the light comes on (low beam) after the vehicle has moved 3 feet (one meter) and shuts off when the engine is shut off, so if you go to Canada you have to run with your lights on all the time?
  • Options
    Would you check this winch out and let me know what you think of it? It looks like the one I saw last year… this puppy would fit in the back really well.

The LEWIS CHAIN SAW WINCH

http://www.madsens1.com/lewis.htm

• Options
    dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    tsjay,

Just wanted to tell you about an accident that directly relates to what you said about not driving a Jeep like a car. Several years ago, a niece of mine was driving a used NJ on a gravel road a bit faster than she should have been. Her sister was in the Jeep with her and she found out the hard way to drive a Jeep as it should be driven. She rolled the Jeep and her sister was thrown out. She was in a panic because she thought her sister was trapped under the Jeep, but she was thrown clear. Neither had serious injuries (they were both very very lucky). My mother was shocked recently when I she overheard me telling my brother that I wanted a Jeep (a Sahara). I told her the same thing that you stated some days ago, you must drive such vehicles responsibly at ALL TIMES! To not do so puts the driver, those in the car with him/her and anyone else in the area.

Oh and thanks for welcoming me into the fold(even though I don't own one yet.

nkelly1,

Glad to her all is well in the greater Settle area. I have not yet visited the great northwest, some day I hope to. I just hope that when I do the mountain that Settle lives under does not decide to blow it's top. I've heard that mountain is the only one in the active or "hot" area.

I'll keep hanging on to the dream of being a Jeep owner tl' it becomes a reality. :)

wrangler
  • Options
    Sorry for the typo folks. It's been along day and I think I'd better get off before I really start screwing up on something else.

dwrangler
  • Options
    Actually there are two "troublesome" volcanoes. St Helen, the one everyone has heard about is in the southern part of the state, I used to prospect for gold down there…. did you know there is a "lost" gold mine there?

Then there is Mt Rainer, it is still classified as active. There is some seismic activity under it, but Tacoma is in more danger than Seattle is. I don't get to Seattle that much, so I am not sure what is up with that place…. they have had some problems lately.

I head the other way when I go to the woods. There are thousands of miles of old logging roads down there, you can drive for a long time without seeing a paved road, learning how to read a map is very important though. Don't trust the maps the logging companies put out, get a Gazetteer map, they are the best you'll find in a store.

Welcome to the board.
  • Options
    2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I do not think it is mandatory to drive with your lights on in Canada, but I do know that all Canadian vehicles come with factory daytime running lights.

I go to Canada all the time for work and the company I work for supplies parts to the Ford and Freightliner plants in St.Thomas, ON, so I am very familiar with the new vehicles they are making.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yup, it's true. All Canadian vehicles from 1989 onwards have standard daytime running lights. Virtually all vehicles on the roads nowadays have it, and I really think that it very significantly improves visibility. However vistors from the US do not need to turn on their headlamps during the day unless they want to.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    That was a nice post. Thanks.

I'm so glad that there were no serious injuries in that accident that you told us about! Your nieces were very lucky indeed.

I hope you get that Jeep that you want so badly. I certainly know from personal experience how bad "wrangler fever" can be. As I've said many times, there is but one cure. :)

Good to hear from you. Keep posting!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    nkelly1 - We drove our Wrangler up to Canada this spring. As was stated, newer cars are made with their headlights on automatically but there are still many vehicles on the road without them. The thing I noticed was that I saw the other cars so much better, and so used my own headlights during the day pretty much all the time. Of course, our lovely spring weather down here translated into that not-quite-spring weather (cloudy, snow flurries and occasional short snow showers), so headlights seemed to be a good idea.

I don't know what it is about my black Wrangler, but I think some people on the freeway can't see it or something. Ever since someone cut into the carpool lane right in front of us and we hit them, then the 405 wall, I've noticed that people will cut in front of us too close. So now I put on the headlights as soon as I hit the carpool lane - it seems to help. Maybe it is just my imagination - I wouldn't mind if they wrote off the Tacoma, but I would be VERY unhappy if they did the same thing to my Wrangler!

Thanks for the info about weapons and Canada. Every year my brother-in-law invites us up for a week or 2 for hunting season, but we haven't been able to make it work yet. If I do I'll know not to bring firearms - just the jeep (I think that's why he wants us to go up, so we can get back further into the woods than he can with his pickup!).
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    wranglerwanted
    I don't have full hard doors so I don't know how much they weigh. Maybe someone else on here can weigh it for you or guesstimate how much one weighs.
    The full doors reduce a lot of wind noise on freeways and highways. They are also better for window access. Like fast food, ATM, and even putting your window down while moving fast. The zipper windows on half doors can be a pain.
    I have half doors and love em though. I can be across town or out of town and can take my top down and throw my top half doors in back. If it gets cold or wet I can put my top back on or just my doors with my bikini. Since you should not be taking your doors on and off all the time the weight of the door should be at the bottom of the list as far as a consideration. Or atleast for me it is.

mtngal
    Don't forget tapping the brake or engaging the e-brake a couple of clicks will help engage the LSD if it is not engaging.
    Get ARB airlockers front and rear and go hardcore. LOL
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    mark202
    It is best to remove atleast the rear side windows. Probably better to remove the rear but you can roll it up and then take the top down. If you roll it up just use a towel to roll it up in. The windows get scratched up because of dirt and stuff on it. It is best to have the windows clean when taking them on and off. You can just leave the windows in the garage at home or put them in the back. After your done with the windows, unlatch the top from the windshield frame. Remove the top from the door surrounds and the rear quarter panels. Then just fold the top down. The dealers have videos for new Jeeps on how to do this. Maybe you can get one. Or if you can find someone that knows how, that can make ir real easy to learn.

nkelly1
    I don't know too much about winches and never heard of that one. Looks great and just what you need. Personally I think you should be a man and quarter it up and hike it out. :) just joking
    What kind of weight load can it handle? I would see if you can get some more info. I don't think you could ever use that with your Jeep, if you were thinking about it.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Member Posts: 36
    How does it look with the full doors and the top off? Know of a picture? The top of the full door seems like it may be awkwardly high with the top off, compared to the usual door.

Also, does anyone know what makes the 60th Anniv. edition different?
  • Options
    I'll finally join the crowd by the first of next week. Looking at two barely used ones. One does have the dual tops. My question is, when the hard top is off, how hard is it to store it? I don't have a garage. I do have a basement. Will it fit in a regular door? Thanks!
  • Options
    saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    the 60th anniversary edition is a Sport with the Sahara options... plus Rocker sills..The 60th aniversary embroidered floor mats.
    but cheaper than the Sahara..
    they are very limited..only made during the month of march...

I"M PICKING MINE UP ON THURSDAY!!!

FINALLY!!

Snut
  • Options
    Thanks and congrats on getting yours. If they're cheaper then the Saharas, what doe the Sahar have that the LE doesn't?

Thanks
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Does this mean you're going to order a 2002 AND get a 60AE? The wife must have really come around on this one! Congrats, and let us know what exactly what you're picking up on Thursday.

-twylie
  • Options
    I guess its that Ugly interior...that cost more.
    plus the front seats have the pockets in the back on the sahara

i'm getting the black 60th AE
    dual tops
    Auto
    Deeptint
    Cruise
    AC
    CD with sub
    fog light tow hooks
    30" canyons
    I'll be posting pics on my web site soon...

Snut
  • Options
    wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Looks like you've chosen the 60th rather than the 2002 model. I probably would do the same myself, would not be able to wait for a few months. I know you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us.
  • Options
    yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    CONGRATS Snut

I must admit, I never thought I'd see the day when you posted that you finally got that Wrangler, but it happened! Good for you - now your job is to go out and have fun with it! I know my best time was just driving it around an empty parking lot, playing with speed bumps and hopping curbs at sundown the day I picked mine up. Enjoy!

yellowman
  • Options
    Heya

I have the hard top only and no garage. The quick answer is NO it will not fit through a regular door, at least not without a great deal of hassle and potential for damage. I thought I would store mine in the back of my parents house, which has two outside side doors for access to the backyard - the top wouldn't fit through these. The only way to do it (and keep in mind you NEED two people to carry the thing) is to turn it sideways and slowly try to fit it through a door or opening. I didn't even try this, as I was worried about the potential for damage, particularly to the windows. As a result, I've only ever taken the hard top off once, and only for a few hours, since the top was just sitting in our front yard. I don't know if I'd go as far as tsjay and wish I had gotten the soft top only, but I sure wish I had somewhere to put that hard top now, so I could put a soft top on, drive around topless, and then put the top up by myself when I need to haul parcels. I must admit, I like the look of the hard top 10x better than the look of the soft top, but the topless look beats both hands down. And the reality is, you really need a garage to store that thing. It takes up a LOT of room. I thought I could get around it and figure something out, but so far I haven't been able to.

Incidentally, after I took the top off and put it back on, I periodically heard rattling in the back when I went over a bump - turns out the torx screws were getting loose. So when replacing the hard top, make sure you tighten those things GOOD!

yellowman
  • Options
    I am so very, very happy for the old Nut guy!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Wooooooo hooooooo !!!!!!!!!

YES!

Better get us some pics ASAP!

tsjay

I know you'll be hugging that Jeep Thursday!
  • Options
    At first I really didn't like the look of the top off and full doors on, but I've seen more and more of them around town, and now I think it looks okay. Still love the doors off look, but the top off/full doors on isn't as weird as I thought it was at first. Besides, how else are you going to fly your L.A. Lakers car flag with no doors? ;-)

yellowman
  • Options
    At is just so happens, pure coincidence, they are about a half hours drive from me so I going to take a look at them. I was told it will straight pull 4000 lbs, with a snatch block 8000 lbs. This, of course, depends on what kind of chain saw motor you put on it. I am figuring on a 26" bar to carry around and the winch will attach to the engine directly. (all you have to do is remove the bar and mount the winch) You can also get "tree friendly straps" to anchor it with. There is also a way to "quick connect" it to the trailer hitch. (I am working on that)

Drew: great pictures, what type of camera are you using?

mtngal: your more than welcome for the info… it is still possible to take a rifle into Canada, if you wish, but never ever try to take a side arm with you. Don't worry about people seeing your black Wrangler, your going to have to watch out for them… I had the same trouble with my motorcycle nobody saw me either headlight or no headlight … they just don't look. The Wrangler has a good horn, this is about the only "defense" you have with those type of people.

I took the rear view mirror off today man what a difference!
  • Options
    cremaster4cremaster4 Member Posts: 12
    I finally have a chance to log in to let you all know I LOVE MY NEW JEEP!
    You guys are the best. I don't know if you remember me but I originally asked for advise on pricing of an anniversary wrangler. I was underqouted by my dealer, then was told I missed the cut off date for ordering an anniversary wrangler (when she realized the mistake). I ordered a sport anyways from the same dealer and it was delivered about two weeks ago. My dealer turned out to be an angel and very helpful, after her honest mistake (although, she never confessed)
    The first week I kept the hard top on because it was raining in NYC. I took the hard top off as soon as the weather cleared up. I live in an apartment building so I rented a mini storage space to store my top, I predict for 6 months or so. I have since removed my back seat and back seat belt mechanisms and also store them in my mini storage space.
    The day after I picked up my Jeep, I had a Magellan 750NAV GPS system and a Viper alarm installed. I consider the GPS a lifesaver because I am retarded at directions. I also installed 4 new speakers,
    replaced the console speakers and installed an amplifier, so my sound system is SLAMMING! (I kept the OE AM/FM CD)
    I have ordered a Bikini top + Deck/Tonneau cover for a long trip up to Montreal I have planned for this weekend. I hope to receive it tomorrow or Thursday. I figured the Deck/Tonneau cover will help to keep my travel gear "out of sight" before I reach my destination. I plan to travel the entire distance "Topless" so I figured this would be the best way to go. I am especially concerned when I make stops along the way, I won't need to put up my soft top each time or drag my luggage along with me.
    You have all been really helpful with all your postings, and I thank you for all this valuable information.

Cremaster4

2001 Wrangler Sport
    Black exterior/ Agate interior / Blk Dual top
    AM/FM CD + 4 Kenwood speakers + Kenwood amplifier in Add-a-Trunk
    Console Sub woofer
    Magellan 750NAV GPS
    Fog lamps / Tow hooks
    Deep tinted windows
    Sentry Key
    Speed Control
    Body side steps
    Canyon Wheels / 30" Goodyear Wrangler GS-A Tires

Future additions:

Blk leather seats
    BFG's AT KO's 31x10.5 Tires
  • Options
    Boy, it's about time we heard from you again!

Of course we remember you! I was just telling old Tonkadave the other day when we were chatting that I wondered what ever happened to you.

Now, be a REGULAR poster in here!

Sounds like you are really having a ball with that Jeep! Already adding stuff and modifying stuff, huh?

Glad you got back to us.

tsjay

• Options
    You said you're renting a storage space for the hard top - how much are you paying for that, and how large is it? If it's affordable I might consider doing the same...

yellowman
  • Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Well, now I've seen it all. I watched tsjay's story unfold and he finally got his jeep. I read all of your posts, knowing that eventually you'd get what you want. I just didn't think you'd get yours before me!! I still have 49 days to go!

Of course, I still have to move halfway around the world. That happens on 21 July. 10 days later, I'll pick up my Jeep in Montgomery Alabama. I'll have 5 weeks to "break it in" before starting the road trips. First a long drive to Houston Texas to visit family, and then a longer drive to Colorado Springs. I just picked up a digital camera, so I'll have a good record of my travels. Next project, a website.

Madman
  • Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    I came across some information on another Jeep website that listed some "required" common sense items for offroading (straps, jack, cell phone, tow hooks, etc). I plan on doing some light to moderate offroading in Colorado. My question is this: are the optional tow hooks on the Sport adequate? Or should they be replaced with aftermarket items?

Thanks.

Madman
  • Options
    sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    Tow hooks from the factory will work fine and if you don't have them, get them. Should you ever get stuck without tow hooks, I will not winch you out unless you have a suitable area to attach the winch. Winching on any other area will be unsafe and may cause more damage.
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Wow Snut, Im so proud of you! And now you have the whole summer and an Alabama Autumn to enjoy your new jeep topless. I just knew it would work out. Get your camera warmed up to take some shots at the dealership.

Doors. I like the look of the half doors. Its designed to keep the look of the body work flowing, especially with the top off. Im going to get the upper door glass window sliders for mine. That will cut down on some of the front flapping sound and the awkwardness of unzipping the front windows. It still cracks me up to turn on the A/C and watch the windows bubble outward. Its a good way to cut down on soft top noise as well since it makes the top very taught.

Cremaster4: congats on that jeep! Now I have some questions for you. Can you explain a little more about that GPS system? I've heard some things about them like you can tell your actual speed and all. But what are the functions of it and how much are they? You have a Viper Alarm System. do you have the proximity alarms? I was looking for something for when my jeep is in a lot topless and some nosy pedestrian might want to have a look inside tonkajeep.
  • Options
    What I like most about the half doors is where my elbow sits on them. The full doors are a little too high for my liking (this probably isn't a consideration with all you tall guys out there). I've actually thought about trying to get half doors and replacing my full doors in the summer. But then I thought it would look really silly with my hard top, and also that I would be spending all my time changing back and forth. One of the things I like about the hard top is how good it is with air conditioning, and there are all those summer trips through Baker, CA...

If anyone does switch from full doors to half doors, let me know how it goes. Maybe I'll reconsider.

I'll second the motion to hear more about the GPS system. How does it work where there aren't paved roads? Is it useful?
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Why not just put the top out in the back yard on some 2X4's?
  • Options
    "I figured the Deck/Tonneau cover will help to keep my travel gear "out of sight" before I reach my destination. ... I am especially concerned when I make stops along the way, I won't need to put up my soft top each time or drag my luggage along with me."

Are you really THAT paranoid or worried about your stuff in your car? I guess you take the keys out too, then? ;-)

Really, maybe it is a NYC thing?

In all honesty, what makes you think a cover is any more secure than nothing?
  • Options
    Keep in mind that many places now charge you if you are stranded and use a cell phone. (I think it was on Mt. Washington, where some goofy college kids were hiking in sneakers, and got caught in a blizzard. They used the cell phone to call rangers, who almost were not going to come get them. You have to be careful when you rish your own life and that of others.) There is no substitute for common sense.
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I am in total agreement that the Duster provides an extra bit of protection of your stuff when travelling. It's not a perfect solution security-wise, but when we stopped to eat, etc. it kept someone from reaching in and grabbing stuff. I love having the Duster on our Jeep because we always run top off, and don't have to worry as much about what's in the back. What kind of bikini are you going to get? If you get the drill version, I just posted a writeup on doing ours. If you get the no drill version, I've read that you should buy 1" bolts to replace the ones supplied by Bestop. This will make it easier to attach the header to the windshield frame.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm#duster and scroll down to read on the drill-style bikini header install.

Good luck on the trip.

-twylie

• Options
    crazyjprcrazyjpr Member Posts: 8
    So fellow Jeep lovers, what am I to do? My '00 TJ has begun to crap out like I had expected, but about four years too soon. Anyone else having a lot of trouble with their '00 TJ? Changed the oil last night, found my third leaking gasket in as many oil changes - guess my dealer's mechanics aren't too good huh? I'm losing gauge lights left and right - currently have no 4wd indicator or high-beam indicator. Gas gauge doesn't work any more. Good old check engine light's been on recently. Had the wheels/tires balanced twice now and I still have that death wobble in the steering at 55-57 mph. Oh yeah, let's not forget to mention that the body is rusting out after only two winter seasons.

Did I get a lemon, or was I expecting too much from my TJ? Can anyone sympathize with my sorrows and concinve me not to stop buying American? Please tell me Jeeps are better than this one has been...
  • Options
    wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Take your jeep back to the dealer and show then your problems and tell them to fix it. I do not have any death wobble, on a well built 79 cj5 with 4 inches of lift and 35 inch tires and I have done 80mph in it. For the body rust, winter is hell on jeeps just make sure you wash underneath the jeep and repaint places under your jeep that have began to rust. I also would reccomend investing in a good undercoating either rubberized in cans(get it at a parts store), or buy a bed liner like, por-15 or herculiner and paint on to prevent rust in the future. The dealer should be able to fix the leaks, lights and gas gauge. Not to worry, my jeep is 22 years old with the original drivetrain/body and is still running strong.
  • Options
    I have a '98 Wrangler with 90,000 miles on it, and about the only problem I've had is with the dash gauges. Sometimes I lose all of my gauges, until I go over another bump, and then they come on again. There is a TSB out for it, and one of these days I'll do something about taking it in. It only happens occasionally so it hasn't been real high on my list of priorities (I have an electrical problem in the house which is more pressing, and the dealership is over 30 miles away...). I don't have any rust problems after 3 winters (they sand the roads instead of salting them). I don't have any wobbles at any speed, even though it has a replaced tie rod end, thanks to an accident I was in about 5 months after I bought it. I would not hesitate to buy another one when I finally have to retire this one.
  • Options
    jrjeep1jrjeep1 Member Posts: 7
    We were chatting one night and someone ask me what it cost me for my new wrangler to be sent to Germany, so here is the break down of costs:

U.S. Domestic Inland Freight Charge 585
    Overseas Transportation Charge 593
    Delivery Point Processing Service 360
    Customer Delivery - Show Vehicle 195
    Total $1733

This is through Overseas Military Sales Corp.
    Yeah I payed to much but hopefully soon I'll have my jeep!!

However with all of recent postings about TJs and their problems I hope I did the right thing. If anyone cares I ordered the jeep on 11 Apr, just got off the phone and it is sitting on a pier in Baltimore waiting for the trip here. From the dates that I got my jeep order was delayed 2.5 weeks at the plant. It better get here soon because the German summers don't last too long!

Better late than never :)
  • Options
    Thanks for putting up with all of my questions the last couple of weeks about hard tops and full doors, etc. But, as of 5 min ago, I own a JEEP. Listen to this:

01 Wrangler Sport, 4.0l, Dayna/3.73, Trac-loc, Air, black dual tops, Solar yellow, heavy duty electrics, full doors, Sentry key, cruise...AND nerfs, safari roof rack, 5 remote KC lights, Warn winch, winch bumper and brush guard, 33" Mickey Thompson Classic wheels and tires (x5), 2.5" susp. lift....all for $27K

I bought one of the Landrunner conversions from a Jeep dealer desperate to move the 2 he has. When I looked at it 2 mos ago, it had a $37K sticker. No way. Today I paid him cost and got a >NADA trade-in from him on our Miata.

I'm not crazy about the changed body panels, but for the price and the mods, I couldn't pass it up. Plus I was able to unload a car I've had trouble selling, for more then I have it listed in the paper!

Greg
    Anyway, I'm there, and now I know how everyone feels!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to the world of Jeeps.

When do we get to see some pics????

tsjay

• Options
    Thanx for all the congrats all...
    I appreciate it...I can wait..
    I soo excited I dont think I will sleep tonight.
    All you you wish me well on my road trip tomorrow

congrats ghinson...
    now we are actual jeep owners..

See yall tomorrow with pics of my

60th Aniversary Edition
    Black
    Auto
    Full Metal Doors
    Body-color Wheel Flares and Rocker Sills
    Canyon 30" Tire & Wheel Group
    Fog Lamp & Tow Hook Group
    A/C
    AM/FM Stereo radio with CD 5 speakers with Sub
    Specailly embroidered Floor mats
    Speed Control
    Dark Tint
    Dual Tops

take Care!
    60AENut!!
  • Options
    You have a 2000 model so it should still be under warranty. I would take it to them and tell them to fix it, leaks, electrical, ect… everything that has gone wrong with it. DOCUMENT everything they do and say, get the names of everyone you talk too. If they do not fix it or try to put you off, give Chrysler a call and complain to them. If the dealer gives you a run around (does anything but say yes sir we get right on it) get on the phone and raise hell. Let us know how it goes…. maybe we could start a letter campaign……. the more spoons in the pot…… the better it gets stirred up.

Here is a phone number that I have used to complain about my dealership to Chrysler.... 1-800-992-1997. Everyone, at Chrylser,that you talk to on the phone has an employee ID number, make sure you get that too so you know who said what.
  • Options
    I like the options on the 60th anv. edition (all except for the embroidered floor mats and the dual tops). I like the color flares and everything on the Sahara, but I'm not so sure about those green seats. I don't necessarily want to get the leather seats, I'd prefer the stock cloth seats that come with the sport and anniversary edition. What do you think would be a reasonable price for the Sahara with the 30" package and the anniversary edition what it would cost? I know it might be some time (oh it pains me to say that), but I want to keep up on the costs until I get one so that I don't get taken by a dealer that thinks they can put one over on a 37 year old woman. Don't laugh, when I was searching for my first car just out of high school(that was quite a few years ago ;) ) and told the local jeep salesman that I really wanted a Jeep CJ5. He looked at me and laughed. I told him that it may take me a few years to get one, but that I would come back to that dealership from time to time to keep the dream alive...and that he most likely would not be long at that dealership. Sure enough, three months later I decided to drop by the dealership and he was no where to be found. I guess he offended too many customers with that attitude. Let me know what you all think about the cost. I talked to a guy at a local eatery and he had all the options on his Sahara that I want and he said don't offer any more than $21,000.

dwrangler
  • Options
    Just wanted to add a thankyou to all those Wrangler lovers. I am so glad that this chat room isn't of the "mine ride is bigger, better, and badder than yours" crowd. Awhile back I had started a topic about the Ford Ranger. It was great that it lasted so long, but it eventually became a topic room that some visitors tainted and turned it from something that was meant to be fun and informative to something that was combative. So again thanks to my fellow Wrangler enthusiasts.

dwrangler
  • Options
    cremaster4cremaster4 Member Posts: 12
    +Yellowman
    I am sharing a storage space in Manhattan with a friend that is also storing his top in the same space. The monthly charge is $150. When I arranged the rental, I thought we could store one horizontally on the floor and put the second on two shelves mounted on the left and right walls. I didn't take into consideration that the door was too small to maneuver this. We ended up propping both of them sideways against the wall. I was prepared with sheets of 2" thick foam pads to protect the glass/washers. I know in both the video and instruction book, it is advised to store the hard top horizontally. I will let you know in October if the top will be warped because of this.
    I have a lot of space in the storage unit to store my back seats, seat belts and other junk that I seem to accumulate. This storage space is about 5 blocks from my apartment building so it is extremely convenient for me. $75 per month may seem like a lot to store a hard top, but it is worth it. I won't even go into how much I pay for parking, it's probably more than some of you pay for rent.

+Tonkadave
    I have a Magellan750 Nav GPS system. As it may not be necessary for everyone, but if you knew me well, you would find out that I am REALLY retarded with directions. I may have some disease that forbids me to know north from south and left from right!
    I paid $1600 for the 750 Nav installed. I first used this system in a Hertz vehicle while I was away on business. They call there system Neverlost. The system consists of a small screen, slightly larger than a Gameboy. It is installed to the left of my Radio on a custom that is fitted especially for a Wrangler. The computer is about the size of two video tapes side to side. This is installed under my drivers seat. The third part of this system is an antenna, about the size of a peanut butter jar cap that measures about 3.5" in diameter and about .5" thick. This is mounted on the hood near the windshield.
    I think it is a great "gadget" that I cannot live without. For details and pictures of this unit, you can go to autonav2000.com to find out more details.
    I do have a proximity sensor with my Viper alarm system. It is mounted under the carpet, directly in back of my console sub woofer. I have tested it and a warning tone goes of if I get anywhere within about 3 inches near both the hard and soft deep tinted windows. As I found out this evening, the sensitivity of this unit even works with the Tonneau cover.

+Sasquatch 2000
    I don't consider myself paranoid but others may beg to differ. I guess I am just being a little overly cautious with my belongings. As Twilie stated, I don't want to tempt anyone into snatching anything from the back cab. I consider it a better deterrent than having nothing at all. And after I installed it this evening, I think it looks good too!

+Twilie
    I got the Bestop non drill bikini. I did'nt install it yet. I will take your advise in getting 1" bolts before I attempt the install. Thanks for your advise! I really find your site extremely informative.
    You have put a lot of time and effort into this. I am not alone in applauding you for all your advise and detailed instructions. Have you ever gone through a rain storm with your bikini/duster? Does the water puddle up on the duster and drain into the interior of the Jeep? Let me know if you have any other secrets about the install of the bikini/duster/wind screen.
  • Options
    spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    So, nice mods... when you gonna use them??? I love what Jeeps can do. 2 days after I got my lift I was out running trails at the nearest National Forrest area. If I would have known you were looking for a Modded out Jeep I would have sold mine to you for 25,000. Only thing you would of had to added would have been the winch and lockers. (just kidding, my Jeep has a personality beyond a price tag). So gotta get some pics up buddy. also, what kind of lift are on those Landrunners? Is it a full suspension or just a spacer and body lift? who's it made buy? Also does it have sway bar disconnects? Just asking a few questions. Hope you love it!

Happy Jeepin'
  • Options
    Join me, brothers and sisters in celebrating this wonderful day. The Nut gets his Jeep today!

He leaves at 8:00 AM to head for a dealer somewhere near Atlanta where he picks up his 60th Anniversary Wrangler. That's about a three hour drive from where he lives in Alabama.

I don't know which of us suffered longer before finally getting our Jeep, me or Saharanut. It was about a six month ordeal for each of us, I believe.

CONGRATULATIONS, NUT!

I know this whole group has been pulling for that boy for a long time. It's a cause for celebration, not just for Terry, but for all of us.

Now, everyone, join the chat tonight, and let's let Nut tell us all about his day! (If he can somehow get out of that Jeep long enough to get on the computer).

tsjay

• Options
    Thanks for the shipping cost info. I was just curious what it would cost to ship a Jeep that far.

I'm glad that the time is getting close for you to get that baby! I know it can't be soon enough from your perspective.

Thanks to you and all other service men and women who serve our country in a foreign land. Hope that Jeep will make your time away from the Good Old USA a little more pleasant. It will bring a little bit of America right to your door, right?

It was great chatting with you the other night. Get in there with us as often as you can, but I know that time difference makes it almost impossible for you.

tsjay