Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• txdrivertxdriver Member Posts: 5
    There are other differences between the 2 platforms. The FX45/35 engine sits longitudinal and the Murano’s East-west. The Murano base is FWD, the FX35 base is RWD.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I know exactly the market Infiniti is aiming at.

I have a SUV and it's great for hauling stuff, but it's not the greatest ride on the freeway. Many times I've wished for a sports car/SUV hybrid, and it looks like this is it.

But if the cargo area is too small, then it's no more than a tall sporty wagon with a small cargo hold.
  • edhrybedhryb Member Posts: 7
    I received a questionnaire referencing my Saab registration so I guess they picked my name from that. This was back in July. The noise level was fine. Nice rumble from the engine, but bumps were fairly quiet. It was the most fun to drive out of the group. Tires were huge but it handled fairly well. I haven't seen the specs on the cargo area, but the angle of the rear window limits anything too high, and makes it appear small. The car is almost all nose. I don't mean to be sexist, but it's a guy's car. Can't steer it with one finger like the Lexus. It's a handful.
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    I think G35/FX35/45 have the same platform, which is different from the platform that Altima and Murano share. The weight distribution of FX45 is 54/46 and it is 52/48 for the FX35. I suspect the 2 percent difference is due to the weight difference of the V6 and V8 engines(approximately 80-90 lbs). You can go to nissannews.com for detailed information. If you are interested, you can also find out if the engines of G35 and Altima are mounted longitudinally or transversely, as txdriver pointed out.

Personally, if I would buy an SUV with V6 and can also wait for a while, I would choose Murano over FX35. I think the price of Murano will be very competitive after a while and make FX35 less valuable. You can go to autosite.com, check out the sales numbers of different SUVs each month, and that will give you a ball-park estimate of the competitiveness of the SUVs and potential for negotiation.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Thanks for the info.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Called a salesman at SW infiniti here in Houston. He will have 6 FX's by the end of this month both v6 and v8. To me this is the perfect car I would spend the 2k premium over a comparable g35 for the added ground clearnce, height and cargo ability. A nicely appointed fx35 should be a hair over 37k almost dollar to dollar the current cost of an rx300. I just wish they put the CVT in the FX for the better gas mileage. This thing should really haul butt and the only SUV's even close to this thing right now are the BMW X5 and Cayene.
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    that just came back from a demo drive of the FX45 & FX35. He indicated the performance was so close he would save the money & opt for the FX35. He was very impressed but then again... he is a salesman. ;-)
  • harddrive1harddrive1 Member Posts: 1
    I went to my local dealer to purchase a FX35 with black exterior, tech package, and I cant believe that the Willow/Black interior is not available with Black exterior. Infiniti really drop in ball on this one.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I'm sure it will as affordable as the Cayenne TT, so I won't worry about seeing one next to me at a stoplight.
    Here in San Diego, I've seen only two TT's, and both were driven by guys who would have to worry about coronaries from the G-forces, and their dealership mechanics have to add fuel treatments to clean out the carbon build-up.
    At Qualcomm Stadium here, they run Solo 2 on the East parking lot. PCA runs their slolom on the West lot, and it's open only to Porsches. Hmmm.
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    I had a chance to sit inside the FX35 and view a FX45. The vehicle has very little rear leg room. the space is cramped for a crossover/suv. I was very surprised. The rear cargo area looked very very small to say the least. I couldn't find a rear seat split fold down release switch to save my life!! I thought I was crazy!! I realized that I wasn't when a bunch of other on lookers had the same trouble. Oh yeah there wasn't any help to be found to save my life. Where did the Infiniti salesreps run off to? Walk into a dealer nowadays and next thing ya know the salesforce is in your face. Go Figure. Cars are sold at dealers not usually car shows. Anyway, the FX35 I sat in was comfortable but cramped. For 44K(loaded FX35) it didn't have a lot of space to boot. Looking at a car at a car show means zip. Its the on road test drive that makes all the difference in the world.

I'm currently deciding between a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 6-speed, FX35, Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 5-speed and the Honda Element.

I snowboard and mountain bike so I need something that can handle bikes and boards, yet is comfortable at high cruising speeds for long hours.
  • cainepcainep Member Posts: 35
    The levers to release the split-fold rear seats are just inside the tailgate - maybe not the most obvious place, and the front seats need to be a few inches forward before the rears will fold flat.

If you check the dimensions between the FX35/45 and its competition such as X5 and ML500, you may find it has more room, as well as more performance. A roof rack is also optional.

If the lease numbers are good, I'm considering a FX35 AWD with Premium Package. With one of the rear seats folded, I expect to fit my skis and gear bag inside, so a snowboard should be no problem. With this amount of gear, any crossover SUV is going to feel cramped with more than 2 people.
  • mkarpdmkarpd Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone advise on what the FX35 lease would be?

Also is it true that the QX4 is being replaced with the FX45?

Can not wait to take a test drive!
  • wstehwsteh Member Posts: 8
    Car & Driver magazine wrote that the FX45 was replacing the QX4. They also wrote that the ride was very rough.

mkarpd, please post your test drive comments. I'm thinking about the FX35 rear wheel drive.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Here is a link to the Car and Driver article. Overall they were very positive on the FX45, and it turned out to be the fastest SUV they've tested. They wrote, "The FX45 is even able to show its fat tailpipes to the BMW X5 4.6is and Mercedes ML55 AMG."
    http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2003/februa- ry/0302_roadtest_fx45.xml
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    The Inifinti rep at a car show said the FX is not replacing the QX4... which seems like what Lexus is doing by offering different SUVs for different purposes.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Check out Edmunds' First Drive: 2003 Infiniti FX35 and FX45.

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • armxiarmxi Member Posts: 1
    Like front and side, rear too round.
  • deano67218deano67218 Member Posts: 6
    For the record, I work at an Infiniti dealership in Kansas, BUT, I am not here to sell you anything. I just like chatting about cars, and that is what I see the purpose of this board. Last night, we received our first FX35. I got a chance to test drive it last night several times. I was pleasantly surprised. The biggest surprise was the "manual" shifting. It is the same tranny as the G, but they have improved the lag between activation of the shift and the actual shift. It is much smoother now. If anyone has any questions, let me know...I would love to chat with everyone!

Chris
    Saw a loaded fx35 and 45 at the dealer here in texas. The fx35 had the tech package and was 44k loaded. The 45 was 52.5. They are very impressive in person. I am going to the auto show to check them out.
  • polomanpoloman Member Posts: 5
    I test drove a FX35 last nite at my local dealer in NJ. The FX35 is a very nice handling crossover SUV and has potental. Unfortunately the dealer had not prepped it yet (It had plastic on the seats and white plastic on the external paint surfaces) and I was not sure if some of the noise was from that, but it was not as quite inside as a BMW X5 (which was properly prepped). The really sad part though was the Infiniti (Nissan) has really poor lease numbers on this vehicle. I was quoted a 51% residual and 0.00255 money factor from Nissan credit and 53% residual and 0.0025 Money factor from Chase Bank. I have a Tier 1 credit rateing. These leases were for 36 month 12K miles/year. Just as a comparison a BMW X5 3.0 has a 63% residual and 0.00235 money factor. This means a 51K BMW X5 leases for much less a month than a 46K Infiniti FX35. The actual quotes I have are $692/month on the BMW and $775/month on the Infiniti. If Infiniti wants to run with the big dogs (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) they have to do something about their residuals. Quite frankly Infiniti admits that they just do not hold their resale when they place such low residual values on their cars. Furthermore Infiniti's top of the line Q45 only carries a 49% residual for 36 months....maybe that is why they do not sell more than 300/month nationwide. Infiniti has to put some supports on their vehicles or they will not sell and they will not increase their image into the likes of BMW, Mercedes and Lexus......I am leasing the BMW X5 which was Infiniti's benchmark or the FX35/45.
  • bomcq2bomcq2 Member Posts: 2
    Pick it up next week. Graphite with Brick interior. Rides nice, very comfortable seat. Looks great.
  • jpappas123jpappas123 Member Posts: 21
    Saw an FX today on the road. Passed me going the other direction during a snow squal. We got about 4 inches today. The vehicle was black and certainly unmistakable. The only dealer in Pittsburgh, Cochran doesnt show and FX's in stock yet. Id be curious to hear from the owner about the performance, especially in the snow.
  • sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    Hey deano67218 or Chris?? Is the FX you received red??? :) I live down the street from the Wichita dealer!
    Steve
  • ch05ech05e Member Posts: 12
    Recently I have been very interested in the Lexus RX 330, until two days ago when I saw an Infiniti FX35 in the parking lot. I loved it! Some of the pictures I saw, made me question its appearance, but after seeing it in person I can tell they dont' do it justice. I'm going to an Infiniti dealership tomorrow to look at one and hopefully test drive it too. Does the FX35 RWD go to 0-60 in 6.5 seconds?
  • ergozoomergozoom Member Posts: 10
    Just came back from a short test drive with a FX45, with Premium and Technology Packages. First impressions are outstanding. The V8 has a amazing torque delivery, the car is probably as quick as the X5 4.6iS, that costs another $10k. Interior is beautifully built, real aluminium inserts, good quality materials. Nimble handling, almost sports sedan like. However, this is not your typical SUV that hauls seven people and luggage, think more of a sports sedan with a little more space.

Bottom line: I liked it a lot! Much more exciting than an MDX or RX3(3)0.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I took a test drive in the FX35.... I found it to be a great handling car, given it's size. The body roll was minimal and a refreshing attribute when compared to other SUVs. I also liked the interior a lot, but was suprised at the limited cargo room behind the back seats (particularly due to the way the roof slants down).

The aspect that I didn't like was the application of the 3.5 engine. I found it "wanting", primarily due to the weight of this vehicle. It most noticeable going up an incline (of course, it could have been slow to downshift, as I wasn't playing with the sport-shift/manumatic mode).

[As an aside, I also test drove a G35 sedan and due to the lower weight of the vehicle, the engine felt much more responsive.]

Bottom line: I thought this was a great vehicle, but would have to recommend the 4.5 engine (I didn't get to test drive that, but it should be beefier).
    I took a very short, less than 10 minutes, test drive in a FX35 2WD today. It did not have the sport suspension - 18" wheels.

I was absolutely amazed at the handling. I've driven an Acura MDX and the Acura absolutely wallowed in comparison.

I'm considering the FX35 but will have to order the Technology Package as I want the active cruise and DVD navigation. I'm sure that the dealer would trade the 20" wheels from the sport suspension (included w/ the Technology Pkg) with a standard FX35 on the lot, but I'm concerned about the ride quality of the sport suspension.

Does anyone have any comments about the sport suspension (standard on the FX45)? Car&Driver commented that the ride was very rough. :-(
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I drove an FX35 yesterday. I was impressed! I purchased a G35 sedan earlier this year. The last Japanese car I purchased was a 1960's Datsun 510.
    The G35 is just fun to drive. The FX35 is slower but it is fast enough (much quicker than an Audi A6 I replaced with the G35) and handles like a car. I spent alot of time sliding around on a parking lot covered with snow. It was hard to get the "vdc" to kick in ...... the AWD is great! I didn't feel the ride was rough at all. Head and leg room are more than adequate (6'4") and the seat is OK but could be a couple of inches wider (250 pounds) When I bought the G35 I drove most of the other SUV's on the market and decided on a sedan. Previously owned a Range Rover Discovery which turned me off on SUV's for a few years. I will purchase the FX 45(35) unless something better comes along before this summer.
    The tech package is a must for me but it's too bad that they make you buy the DVD package ... who sets in the back seat to watch movies?

Exterior A
    Interior B+
    Handling A+ SUV B+ Car
    Performance A SUV B Car
    Braking A
    Ride B+
    Technology A

It's a fat and heavy sports sedan! I love it ...
    maybe I won't wait until the summer?
    gschultz3:

Wow, if you're coming out of a G35 and still like the FX35/45, that's impressive! You know they are based on the same platform, right?

The Technology Package includes some options that I wouldn't pay money for either, including the rear seat DVD screen and the key less entry. But since they are included with some other things that I want, and overall the package seems to be a bargain, I'm happy!

I think that the FX35 has enough acceleration and I don't plan to drive the FX45, so that I'm not tempted! ;)
  • golfgod2golfgod2 Member Posts: 53
    Just took a test drive myself of an FX 35 and came away very impressed. Currently drive an Acura TL Type S and was considering a G35 up until I drove the FX35. Excellent ride and impressively tight handling. What also impressed me was the quality of the materials inside - I really felt like I was in a luxury vehicle - a feeling I didn't necessarily get in the G35 (I think the materials are cheap). The leather, alluminum, plastics and workmanship in the FX all felt first quality. When you consider a reasonably loaded G35 is about $34k and a well equipped FX35 is about $38k (non-nav), the FX35 seems like a fantastic deal and the G is a good deal to begin with. Based on earlier postings, the only thing that concerns me is the residual if you want to lease - if it is as bad as 50% and you can get a better deal on an X5 lease, Infiniti might have a hard time. Also very anxious to see the VW Tourag when it comes out. Nothing wrong with having a lot of choices.
    Took out a FX35 w/tech package tonight. MAn it was a blast to drive I have been wanting a G35 after driving it 8+ months ago but I am hooked on the FX. I mean it is basically a raised g35 wagon on steroids. I drove the one with 20" rims and the ride was as smooth as my 300M with 17's. I have been looking for something fast, roomy and luxurious but couldn't find anything that was just head and shoulders better than the 300 for less than double the cost. The FX is definately that. I will probably get diamond graphite over brick with the sport package. They had that package available only with black interior. (Damn I wish I wouldn't had just bought an Ody a month ago :-() any way this is a great car. the dealer had no 45's he said everyone who drove the 45 bought it on the spot. I can see why :) Why isn't this board bussier? this is the best SUV I have driven bar none (incl mdx, rx, ml etc)
    bomcq2- Post #73. Congratulations! Have you and your wife taken delivery of your FX35 yet? We look forward to hearing all the details.

clpurnell- Do you plan on purchasing soon? Please keep us posted. Btw, I suspect there will be more traffic in this discussion as more people take delivery of their FX35/FX45's.

In the meantime, it's interesting reading all the test drives and first impressions.... Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • bomcq2bomcq2 Member Posts: 2
    Revka,

Yes, picked up the FX35 Friday (msg #73). They came in on the 23rd (2x35' and 2x45s). My salesman called me the 24th. Two were already sold. They said they weren't getting more till the end of Feb. I went down and bought it. Got the sport package with 20 in. wheels. It's very nice. Still noticing little features. I needed to go directly into Boston after I bought. People were honking and giving thumbs up all day. It's a real head tuner. Drove it home on black ice Friday night. Didn't notice until I couldn't stand up in my drive way. Great traction!

Stereo is great - great sub woofer,
    Diver seat/cockpit very adjustable and comfortable,
    Lots of headroom,
    Like the displays,
    tailgate mechanism smooth,
    Good visibility forward and side
    Seems like plenty of power.

Minor dislikes:
    Sport suspension a little too hash for my wife (she drove an e320),
    Seems like a lot of engine noise,
    Can't figure out how to rig the luggage net in the back.

I'll post again after we use it for a while.

Bomcq
  • airmaticairmatic Member Posts: 54
    yesterday, while driving by 'Discover Infiniti' in San Diego, I noticed some strange looking SUV's. I decided to drive by to take a look, and learned that it was the new FX. Well, my wife's lease on her 1999 Mercedes ML320 will soon be comming to an end (around March or April)so, I was quite interested. got to test drive one (a black obsidian FX35 RWD)and all i can say is that I am IMPRESSED. the 20" wheels and the styling (inside and out) , and price-tag really drew my attention, and I am seriously considering the FX35, maybe more than the Lexus GX470.

I am surprised, considering all the ammenities and options, how low the price is. The salesman at Discover Infiniti said that he could "offer me an almost invoice price, or a good lease deal". I plan to get back to him soon.

The only thing that I am conserned about is the fact that the FX can only fit 4 people in (comfortably). although there are only 3 people in our family, we sometimes have friends over.
    and thanks for keeping us posted. Btw, I believe you're the first participant in this discussion to take delivery of an FX35. It's exciting to hear all the details! We look forward to your future posts.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • azalea44azalea44 Member Posts: 1
    Well, after more than 20 years of having BMWs, Suburbans and Mercedes, the latest being a Barney-colored lemon, we bought a beryllium colored FX35 Saturday night. We were on the verge of buying a Nissan Murano, not quite totally happy with it, when the Infiniti saleswoman called and begged us to take a look at the brand-new FX35. One look and we were IN LOVE. A perfect garage-mate for our new Denali, it gives my husband the "manly" sports car he craves, while accommodating the kids and their back-seat DVD needs. It handles almost as well as all the Mercedes we've had, and is a nice, kicky little car, even with the smaller engine. We live in hills, and it takes the curves very well. My husband loves the brick/black interior, which he considers very luxurious and even our next door neighbor, who is head of HR for Nissan, agrees that we made the right choice! It's a real head-turner, inside and out, and we are thrilled. It has more toys, bells and whistles than any typical luxury vehicle for HALF the price and with TWICE the fun factor!
  • katana2katana2 Member Posts: 35
    Just got back from test driving the FX45 awesome vehicle!!! It will definitely make BMW buyers take notice.
  • monet5monet5 Member Posts: 32
    Poloman,

I would go back to Chase and ask them what Infiniti auto they are using to calc the 5 yr residual. With the FX just being released they are probably using the QX4 for the estimated residual. Taking a look here on Edmunds the 5 yr residual is only 46%. Whereas the G35 5 yr residual is 51.2%.
    and thanks for sharing your story! I just checked in Edmunds' New Vehicle Guide to see what the "beryllium" color was. Nice color. ;-)

We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • mmuranommurano Member Posts: 5
    Okay, I haven't driven a FX35 or FX45. And granted it has more HP then the 245 HP Murano...but it looks just like my Murano. My fully loaded Murano SL AWD at $33,600 is one fine machine. Is the FX35 or FX45 worth the extra $6K to $10K?

Just curious to hear from FX owners who have test driven the Murano and how it compares.
  • serebigalserebigal Member Posts: 4
    Fusion? This CUV is really SPORT. I;ve driven all models on a test track...compared them by driving the competition on the same track. The FX line is the #1 handling and performance SUV in the world. Infiniti projects 40K units sold this year and 60K next year. Infiniti is really accelarating the future. You folks must go and drive the FX.
  • serebigalserebigal Member Posts: 4
    No comparison possible. FX is RWD vs FWD or AWD, FM Platform, size, weight, fit&finish. The Murano is a great vehicle but the FX is a performance vehicle not a soccer mom mobile.
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    I am going to have to check out the new FX series. I have a 90 Q45 with upgrade first gear start computer and have been VERY happy with its performance. I have had a G35 loaner several times (including over a weekend) and it is VERY impressive performance wise. If the FX is comparable, I would definately go for it. I know someone who bought a Murano and also owns a G35. They claim the Murano does not compare performance wise. Are the FX comparable to the G35 performance wise?
  • mmuranommurano Member Posts: 5
    Well, I guess I will have to check out the FX if I can find a dealer...oh yeah, I think we have ONE in the Denver metro area. Sales of Infinity's around here must be lacking.

BTW, if you think the Murano is nothing more then a "soccer Mom" car you obviously haven't spent much time behind the wheel of one.

The FX sure is a great looking Murano. Nissan, Infinity, it's all good and all the same anyway right? :-)

Seriously, the FX looks like a sweet ride. Enjoy!
  • felizfeliz Member Posts: 32
    I don't see any resemblance between the Murano and FX35/45. I haven't driven the FX35 but I've driven the 45 and it handles as well or better then my wife's G35 and doesn't have the ultra-cheap interior the G35 does.

The Murano is nice but it doesn't compare to the FX in any way at all. I was going to buy a Murano but decided to wait and take a look at the FX and I'm glad I did. I'm going to wait and have a look at the Pacifica just to make sure I don't have any regrets afterwards.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I'm not sure the "#1 handling and performance SUV in the world" wouldn't be the Porsche Cayenne.
  • hotel_dolphinhotel_dolphin Member Posts: 1
    I checked both the Murano and the FX35 last week and after long debate still decide to stick with FX simply just because it's of much more beauty. The only problem is: I WANT the Nav. system but definitely wouldn't pay for almost 10K just to get one since it has to come with the whole Tech package, which has a lot of nice features that I don't need. Is there any other option? I don't mind getting a Premium package but really, Tech package is way too much.
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    I want the navigation systm too, but do not want to spend 9000 for the tech package. I plan on using something like a streepilot 3, plugged into the power outlet in the center console.
    I would stay away from the pacifica unless you are going to keep the car 5+ years, have an extended warranty and know a good mechanic. I have a 300M and I would never buy another chrysler product. The difference in dealers alone between Chrysler and Infiniti is worth any premium. Maybe Chrysler is better in canada but here the dealers are aweful.

The only cayanne that will beat a fx is the 450 hp one that will cost you almost double and it would only beat it by about .5-1 sec is that worth another 40k not to me. I sat inside a cayenne at the auto show and left rather disappointed.

I agree with the above people they should really let the nav be added on as a stand alone option. The tech package is nice but has too much int it and is too pricey. I mean over a sport equipped version it is 6k more. Quite a jump IMHO.
  • aleksd1aleksd1 Member Posts: 37
    Just curious if anybody thought about depreciation of FX. I currently own J30 and even though the car is great, it depreciates very fast.
    I guess if you are planning to keep the car for a while it does not matter, but I personally prefer to know how it compares to Lexus or other luxury makes before making a decision. I know that most Infiniti cars have terrible depreciatio(excluding QX4 maybe). Does anyone have any info or cares to share an opinion?
    Thanns