Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Esteem Wagon

124»

Comments

• tony78tony78 Member Posts: 16
    There are three books available for the 2001 Esteem, volume 1, volume 2 and a wiring diagram manual. The wiring diagram manual covers the years 1998-1999-2000-2001. The Suzuki Esteem service manual vol 1 covers both the 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines, and also covers, chassis,electrical and body. The Suzuki Esteem service manual vol 2 covers both the 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines, vol 2 covers only the engines. The Suzuki part number for vol1 is : 99500-60G20-33E. The Suzuki part number for vol 2 is : 99500-66G20-33E. As you have noticed the part number for vol 1 and vol 2 are the same because these 2 books are only sold as a set. I purchased these manuals new from the dealer. The Suzuki part number for the wiring diagram manual is : 99512-60G60-33E. When i bought my esteem new in 2001 i purchased the manuals at the same time, I paid about 3 bills for all three books
  • tony78tony78 Member Posts: 16
    1995 Esteem Service Manual # 99500-60G00-33E
    1996 Esteem Supplemental Service Manual # 99501-60G00-33E
    1997 Esteem Supplemental Servive Manual # 99501-60G10-33E
    1998 Esteem Supplemental Service Manual #99501-60G20-33E
    1999/2000 Esteem Service Manual # 99500-60G10-33E
    2001 Esteem Service Manual # 99500-60G20-33E

I hope these Suzuki part numbers help thoe of you looking for service manuals for your car. p.s These books cover both the station wagon and the sedan.
  • howellm54howellm54 Member Posts: 1
    i need help. my parents purchased a 98 esteem for me about a year ago. just a little over a year ago in fact. i have had issues ever since with the car. it started out with a spark plug issue. i had to replace the plug wires, which wasn't a big deal. then one day, my brakes literally fell off. well the pad did. i didn't even know they were going out. then it started to run really funny. i drove like this for months, not being able to get past 55 in the freeway and such. found out i was only running on 3 cylinders due to the spark plug wire. anyways. a little while back it started to burn through oil like nobodies business. i was having to put 4 quarts in ever 3-4 days. it was getting worse and worse with the engine light coming on and off. so. i had my dad and my bf look at it and they decided that i had finally blown my engine. yay. now i dont havea car until i buy a new engine. my dad is going to replace it for me. i just want to know if any of these things are known issues. i also had an issue with the air filter and used to have to spray a little ether in the engine. i quickly replaced the filter though. i just dont want to put out the money if this is a known issue with the engines in these things. also if anyone knows where i can get a guide or something to replace the engine. my dad has no fXXXing clue what he is doing. i need a reply on this so please message me. theotherprincess_72 on yahoo messenger. :mad:
  • ecorreaecorrea Member Posts: 1
    My suzuki estem wagan has 109.000 runes gret when cold Lots of power exelent
    acselaration but when it comes to operating tempeture it chokes as if its not geting any air ore Fuel ?
    Paid $100.00 to tell me the computer was bad
    Paid $100.00 to anoter shop to tell me the Ignition coil is difective.
    another $100. to anoter shop fuel pum is defective exept they will not garanty
    any thing after the part is repalaiced
  • MuddycatMuddycat Member Posts: 3
    I also own a 2001 Esteem Wagon with electrical issues that seem connected to the hatch. Have you had any luck in dealing with your dealership? I seem to be coming across a lot of these instances lately, and am wondering whether or not there should be a recall or some kind of warranty repair offerred. It seems ridiculous for a car only 7 years old to be having this many electrical problems! There is no dealership anywhere near me so I haven't managed to speak with anyone yet.
  • esteemed_girlesteemed_girl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Suzuki Esteem Wagon / G4 / GLX / 1.8 L. DOHC 16-valve 1-4 engine 4-speed auto trans. Only 85K miles so far!

My service station is nice enough to let me find my own parts.....

My car has an inherent problem w/ it's emissions - the check engine light has been on & off since buying it. Was never an issue until NY State changed it's inspection rules. Anyhow, here in New York we can't pass inspection if the light is on. I have leaned how to fool my car into running a full drive cycle in order to pass prior inspections -- after my station had cleared codes. Thank GOD they don't charge me the $75.00 fee to plug me into the computer every time like some dealerships do!

I now need to pass inspection in Feb., but my check engine light is on again & the code is an oxygen sensor ($213.23 dealer price). My service station advised me that I need the "rear" sensor & to not buy a universal, but an OEM part. Does anyone have the service manual for my car & can you point me in the right direction or tell me what the original part number is?

Thank you for any help -- it will be MOST appreciated! I love my little car & can't afford to buy a new car!

Elizabeth in NY
  • darlaldarlal Member Posts: 1
    I have the option to buy a used 2002 esteem wagon. Most problems I read about (like electrical, starting etc.) seem to relate to older models. What's the deal with
    2002? Any major problems to be aware of? Is it true that replacement parts are outrageous expensive? Thanks for any input!
  • esteemed_girlesteemed_girl Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if the 2002 has the same problem w/ the check engine light (I think it is just the 2001 cars and not just Suzuki, but other makes too). I just read the entire 176 comments to see if I can find an answer to why Suzuki hasn't done right by us 2001 Esteem owners with the check engine light issue -- there are quite a few postings about this issue. But there are a lot of people very happy w/ their cars too. You might want to read all the comments too before you decide. I will tell you that the replacement parts ARE expensive and not always easy to find. It took me forever to find a spindle last year & now I need an oxygen sensor and a ball joint to pass inspection. The sensor I bought online for $167.00 was wrong so now I have to pay the retail price of over $200.00 and the ball joint I need is part of some whole "arm" assembly that my mechanic said will probably be over $200.00. He suggests I get it fixed, inspected and GET RID OF IT!!! The car has been a good little scooty car & holds a LOT of cargo with the back seats down. It's not a very smooth ride (you can feel the road) and there isn't a lot of room inside which has been a problem for me with two very tall sons! I could overlook a lot if my check engine light hadn't always been an issue. By the way, I've been given two additional gas caps from the orig. dealership and had a very expensive $400+ part (some emissions part -- to get the check engine light off) fixed by Suzuki for free after warranty was up AND they replaced my catalytic converter a couple months ago for free as it had a hole in it, which was just before my car turned over 85K miles.
  • bdebaybdebay Member Posts: 2
    I have replaced calipers, rotors, pads, rubber hydraulic lines, booster and master cylinder. The front brakes just apply themselves on their own after about 6 to 8 miles of driving. I wear out a pair of pads every 8 months. Early on the dealer said to replace the booster. One time I pulled over and unhooked the vacuum line to the booster and they immediately released. Don't know what else to replace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • mariedeemariedee Member Posts: 1
    boy I have a 1999 suzuki esteem and it keep cutting off everytime I stop at a light but it start rite up again the mechanic said he doesnt know what it is, i need my car so that my daughter can drive me to chemo anyone have any advice on what it could be, ? god bless : :confuse:
  • black7black7 Member Posts: 1
    does anybody know which way to loosen the bolt holding on the crankshaft pully. One bolt I can't get off. 2001 esteem 1.8L is it threaded right or left
  • suzuki98suzuki98 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 suzuki esteem it idles low and is sluggish on take off like its choking itself then it will take off and run ok but when you come to a hill it has loss of power no check engine light will come on i replaced the oxygen and cam sensor any ideas
  • fireemsvoleyfireemsvoley Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all!

I'm looking to install a new stereo into my Gal's 2001 Suzuki Esteem Wagon. I can't seem to find any real good information on this process and was wondering if anyone had any pointers as to what to expect from the Factory Stereo system and the Dash mounting that I will be dealing with. I refuse to drop $100+ on an entire manual when all I'm looking for is info on the audio system so, if anyone can send some knowledge my way, that'd be great. Thanks! :confuse:
  • xanderortizxanderortiz Member Posts: 1
    Your camshaft sensor is causing this. Please read my story below.

I have your answer. I have a 2000 Suzuki Esteem that did the same thing for YEARS. A couple years ago, I finally had to get the car inspected in a county that checked emissions. So I failed it, because of this problem. Your CHECK ENGINE light is most likely on. After spending right at $1000 fixing EVERYTHING that the diagnosis test showed to be wrong, here is the list of parts I had checked out:

Catalytic Converter
    DO2 Sensor (downstream oxygen sensor)
    Camshaft sensor
    ECG Flow Valve

Here's the good news... The ECG Flow Valve is pretty expensive, but they did NOT have to replace it. They just took it off and cleaned it in brake cleaner. That was the last part that finally made the check engine light turn off for good. However, the part that CAUSED your problem was the camshaft sensor. They replaced it, and it has never stalled out again. So why did I tell you about all these other parts that were bad/dirty on MY car?? Because they suggested that the camshaft sensor and the catalytic converter being bad may have very well CAUSED the other list of parts to go out. So be prepared if the list of parts I have here are also bad. They might not be, but they could. All in all, go get your camshaft sensor replaced. You can buy them for a FRACTION of the price online. Please email me at xanderortiz@yahoo.com if you need help with this. I struggled for about 4 years spending money and trying to figure this out for myself, and I'd love to help you out for free.
  • phantomotakuphantomotaku Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Im looking in to picking up the esteem wagon. I found one for a good price, however like all good deals it comes at a price.

Apparently, the wagon will idle but the throttle does not 'rev' the car up (sellers words) Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this? Is it worth buying and fixingt the problem or should I just move on?

Thanks
  • tdolcetdolce Member Posts: 3
    Awhile back my wife said her ABS light went on and not long after the light shut off, her car would make a really strange noise whenever she would take her foot off the brake and begin accelerating after the car had been parked and off. She said it now makes this noise whenever she tries to brake on wet or slippery roads.( The noise sounds like a car that tried to wind up but failed on a quick crank. Like air releasing with a failed ignition start). I decided to try it out for myself today on a very icy road and every time I would try and brake....even long after the car had been running,...it made this sound and the brakes felt strange.

Does anyone have a clue? I'm thinking maybe the ABS controller module or is there a pump motor that goes with that? Are we talking big dollars?
  • tdolcetdolce Member Posts: 3
    Any luck? I'm in the same boat....need a stereo for my wife's 01 Esteem wagon
  • kopykat1kopykat1 Member Posts: 1
    with 88k miles, I had to have k frame replaced under warranty due to extreme rust.
    I also have had the front and rear brakes replaced (would not pass safety inspection). I am now experiencing loud clunking noise underneath the car while
    driving on bumpy roads (frost heaves) and grinding noise from the brakes or
    transmission when accelerating up very steep hills and also skipping when applying
    brakes on ice - suspect abs problems. Anyone have these problems? If so,
    how were they resolved?
  • unknowingunknowing Member Posts: 3
    HI ..new here . I hope i'm on the right page..
    I have a 2000 Esteem Wagon.(bought used). 7 mths ago. I had no problems then 2 mths ago my accelerator started sticking after the car would warm up..but wasn't stuck when I'd first start it..( I thought it was froze- winter u know) and the car would rev up between 2500 & 3000 rpm until I put it in Drive- then it would idle fine and rev up again when i stop and put it in park. .we reset the idle - there was a small plunger that was being pushed out too far and pressing against a tab on the spring . where the accelerator cable attaches (not sure what this is called) We bent the tab out of the way of the plunger and the pedal was free at all times and she seemed to idle ok an wasn't reving.. but -she had no guts on hills or take off.. I took it to a dealer an they done an system scan - they say it's the Throttle Body that's causing this. They alsoset the idle and say there's NO ADJUSTMENT left. and that they suspect that IDLE AIR CONTROL is faulty - (is this because of the Throttle body??) Anyone have any opinions or experience on this one - would it be possible that anyone with the same problem has found that it was caused by someting other than the throttle Body? or know where I can get a used Throttle Body?... any info would be appreciated...
  • jeepkidjeepkid Member Posts: 2
    I was driving down the freeway in my suzuki esteem wagon 98 when all the sudden it just shut off completely I was able to coast off the freeway where I made an attempt to start it and nothing happens no starter no lights it's like there was no battery in the car! The battery is new this year and the serpentine belt was replaced less than a year ago. I have no idea what the problem could be; I was thinking maybe the timing belt, or maybe a pulley has ceased up? I am open to any suggestions I just really need to get it going again.

Thanks
  • pt58pt58 Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 1.8 wagon runs well but the idle is a bit erratic when I stop. Anyone else have this problem that they fixed? Thanks
    I have a 2001 GLX+ and my mileage is usually spot on the 20 mpg in the city and 30 on the highway. It has a really inaccurate fuel gauge so I use the trip odometer and calculate how far i go on a gallon
    Check Craig's list. There's a guy who put all the manuals for the Suzuki on a CD for 10 bucks!
  • allinaallina Member Posts: 1
    when you come to a hill it has loss of power no check engine light will come on i replaced the oxygen and cam sensor any ideas I have that problem. Do You now what it is??
    Mine holds itself back while going down hill's as well as loses power when climbing...I have 't found out what causes this yet.. but someone told me the other day that it has something to do with the oxygen intake sensor.. I'm not sure if that's the same sensor as the oxygen sensor.. but i'm getting it checked out anyway..- i'll let you know what & if I find anything out..It definately has something to do with the fuel - it eats it when she's like this..there are times when mine seems to work normal...does yours?
  • rickbeachboyrickbeachboy Member Posts: 1
    how do I adjust rear brakes automatically? 2002 suzuki esteem
    replying to my own message.lol..

I found the answer to my problem... :shades:

the Catalic Converter on the pipe was plugged..replaced it and 'Away I go!'....the 2000 wagon has 2 converters ..1 on the manifold and 1 on the pipe,, it also has 2 oxygen sensors...(I didn't replace them) hope this helps others who are having probs with their Suzuki's.. :)
  • brianp454brianp454 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Suzuki Esteem and it stumbles as you touch the throttle (off-idle). You have to be very slow with any change of the gas pedal or the engine will die. It has a bit of a scrambled egg smell and is using more gas than normal. It never shifts into OD on the freeway. It does not appear to have any miss (particular cylinder issue) or plugged exhaust.
  • dglovedglove Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Suzuki Esteem Wagon GLX 1.8 Litre. Bought it February 2000.

I have been searching Pick N Pull for "cheap" replacement body parts. Specific parts I seek are the front bumper cover, hood and front left fender. I bought the car new and have acquired small dings, dents and scratches. So, I'd like to re-fit parts, paint and keep this car which only has 70,000 miles. This car has been great and I see no reason not to pretty it up a bit and keep driving it.

Models with similar parts are hard to find. I was wondering if anyone knows of other Makes/Models that have body parts (especially hood/bumper) that would be inter-changeable with a Suzuki Esteem Wagon. Or, if you know a reliable site that can pinpoint what Suzuki models/years will be a sure match for my 2000 hood, 2000 bumper cover and 2000 fender.

thank you.
  • eddsramm1eddsramm1 Member Posts: 1
    This rattling is caused by a loose exhaust pipe. normally at high speeds and idling the engine is where this rattling is heard. it almost sounds like someone is banging with a hammer from under the car. The exhaust pipe is only about a 1/4 of an inch away from the cars under carriage, this is an engeneering flaw that has been causing our headaches. When the exhaust supports warm up with the engine, it causes the pipe to hit the cars undercarriage making that rattling noise. I fixed my Esteem by exchanging the exhaust supports with polyurethane supports and tying the pipe to the cars frame.
  • lotus25lotus25 Member Posts: 1
    I know that Wheel speed sensors cause abs problems. If you want to get rid of the noise replace them. The timing chain may need replace as well.
  • jax_the_rdljax_the_rdl Member Posts: 1
    just wondering if any esteem owners have attempted to load a mattress and box spring on the roof racks, and drove for a long distance.
    do you think the little esteem can handle it?
  • megan014megan014 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Suzuki Esteem GLX Sedan with about 183,000 miles on it. It's a 1.6L engine, and hasn't had any huge problems in the 10 years my family has owned it other than having the alternator and axel replaced. Months ago it acted weird for the first time; I had been driving no faster than 40mph and the check engine light came on and started blinking, followed by the car shaking, slowing down even though I was trying to accelerate, and the RPM's were going up. I just pulled over and waited a while, then restarted it and didn't have the problem again until a few months later when it did the same thing going about 50mph. Again, nothing to that extent happened until a few weeks ago. It did the same exact thing, but got worse so I took it to an automotive repair shop to have it scoped, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it other than it having "random multiple misfire". Now my car is acting this way all the time, and I can barely get it over 25mph, it has been eating gas like crazy, and has been misfiring much more. The mechanics thought that it could be the ignition coils- so I had my boyfriend replace them along with the spark plugs, only to find that my car was still having the problem. I don't know what to do or what else it could be, and I can't find a store that sells the manual for this car. If anyone has had any similar problems to this, or has an idea as to what the problem could be, please get back to me!
  • scarycowsscarycows Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 esteem wagon and it is the mass air flow sensor located on the throttle body (back left). You can find "reconditioned" sensors from $200-over a thousand.

This IS NOT the O2 (oxygen sensor)!

I went to a "u pull it" junk yard and pulled one off a 1996 suzuki vitara for a dollar. Car works fine now but now I have catalytic converter problems to contend with!

If you go through suzuki for a new sensor, you have to buy the whole throttle body with it. All together your lookin at about thirteen hundred for the part.

Get ahold of a name brand part store and tell them what you need and they will let you know what all your options are. You can get one for cheap, you just have to wait a few days even a week or two to locate one for you.

You can also send in your defective sensor and they will refab it for you for about 300 bucks. No warranty of any value and you cannot drive your car without that sensor (major component sensor).
  • runboostrunboost Member Posts: 1
    hello guys, i'm new to this esteem wagon.. anybody have this problem before? pls help. my full tank gas barely make it to 200kms. my mekanik says its the fuel return valve.