Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Comments

• Options
    btate2002btate2002 Member Posts: 64
    I am going to be buying in the Summer of 05 and I've been figuring on getting a Mustang, but from the looks of that, I might have to rethink!
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    it just looks so menacing without being tacky like the Viper.

ME WANT.
  • Options
    wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    I forgot where, but I heard earlier that a person who had taken spy photos when not released yet by the auto manufacturer was sent to court and fined, big time. That means the person who took these photos is probably seeing a lot of black in jail..... or maybe living the life in money. It was only thousands of money the person had to pay...

Hmm Interesting..
    I just caught on to this. Why, every single time we have a spy-photo someone else gets a hold of it. The Car Connection got it 2 days after us. BOO! That sucks.. I was hoping to keep the secret.
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    There is no law against taking a picture of an automobile in a public alley.

That is a complete non-sensical urban tale.

It is not even worth the time repeating.
  • Options
    i'd do time to get photos like that. As long as cash was involved.

I honestly truly cannot believe they let that thing in without a tarp...

or HEY conspiracy theory.....maybe they WANTED those photos to be taken, to start to get the buzz out prior to the NAIAS........good pub. they could make a few buyers wait who would have otherwise blown their dough on another car.

I WANT INTERIOR SHOTS.
  • Options
    theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    GM has already teased and fooled us about the C6. In April, they showed a C6 to dealers that was completely fake. The spy shots in Europe had a false body, etc. Who knows what it will look like.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's open chat -- Our topic tonight is "Best New Sports Cars of 2004 - GTO, Mustang, ??"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    car was there as part of a commercial shoot. It would probably have been difficult to film a commercial with the star under a tarp.

It is possible GM's advertiser hoped that by filming early on Sunday in San Francisco, a notorious night life town, no one would be around to sneak a shot.

Seems plausible to me, anyway.
  • Options
    z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    somebody said:
    "cars in the 50s through 70s had pushrods...OHC became popular in the mid80s"

OHC became popular a lot sooner than that. I can't say anything about the 60s (my car history starts with the July 1971 issue of Road & Track), but in 1971 both the (2.0 liter) Ford Pinto and Chevrolet Vega had OHC engines, as well as the Datsun 240Z, Datsun 510, Toyota Celica, BMW 2002, Fiat 124, etc..

someone else said:
    "Pushrods are cheaper that's why they are so ubiquitous"

They also reduce the height of the engine and, in the case of the Vette, allow for a lower hood.
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    but I've got to wonder what's going on. If GM seriously didn't want pictures of the new Corvette to get out, why did they choose to film a commercial in the middle of one of the largest cities in the US. I would think they'd film the initial commercials on a closed set, or at least 20 miles outside of Jasper Wyoming or someplace like that. Maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my old age, but I smell a rat somewhere.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    That was me.
    They also allow for a physically narrower engine
    than a DOHC 4 valve motor.
  • Options
    Will be shown in January it is too late to change anything.
    That is the real Corvette on that truck.

Also the C6 shell pics on the boat site have been removed.
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    in that San Francisco picture of the new red Corvette, was that the base coupe or the top-of-the line coupe..say C6??
  • Options
    If you mean is that the next Z06, the answer is no. There will not be a Z06 the first year.

I do not understand your last question. Every next generation Corvette will be a C6. The C5 will be discontinued.
  • Options
    There's no way they would put the ZL1 in a commercial.
  • Options
    printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone have any idea what the pricing is going to be for the C6??...I see dealers are taking advanced orders, what are customers paying??...Also, several articles are saying the new vette will be available next fall, do they not mean this spring??....
  • Options
    See where Priddy has her name on the spy shots now. What a grand stander.
  • Options
    Hmm our friend Ben has probably made a pretty penny for himself. The caption for his pics say "Ben Kopf for Brenda Priddy & Company".
  • Options
    I have no problem with Ben making money. It is funny to see Priddy getting her name on things when she obviously showed up way after the fact.
  • Options
    Is helping him broker the photographs.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a website name for Brenda Priddy & Company. I'd like to learn some more information about the company.
  • Options
    with Thecarconnection.com. You can find her e-mail address there.
  • Options
    Models -
    Coupe Base 1SX, 1SA, 1SB

Convertible 1SA, 1SB

Colours -
    Interior Ebony, Cobalt Red, Cashmere, Steel Gray

Exterior Arctic White, LeMans Blue Metallic, Precision Red, Black, Machine Silver Metallic, Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic, Millennium Yellow, Magnetic Red Metallic II

Convertible top colors: Beige, Gray, Black

Interior -
    Hatch release, power, push button open, includes power rear hatch latching

Head-Up Display, includes dot-matrix readouts for street mode, track mode with g-meter, vehicle speed, engine rpm, and readings from key gauges including water temperature, oil pressure and fuel levels

Homelink transmitter, includes garage door opener, 3-channel programmable, located on driver visor

Keyless Access, with push-button start, includes 2 remote transmitters which enable automatic door unlock and open by touching door switch

Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, includes Radio Data System, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, automatic volume, TheftLock and (U66) Sound system feature, 7-speaker system

Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with 6-disc, in dash CD changer, MP3 playback and (U65) Sound system feature, Bose premium 7-speaker system, includes Radio Data System, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, automatic volume and TheftLock

Sound system with Navigation, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, (U65) Sound system feature, Bose premium 7-speaker system, DVD navigation with GPS, 6.5" LCD color display touch screen, voice recognition, includes Radio Data System, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, automatic volume and TheftLock

Sound system feature, XM Satellite Radio is 100 channels of digital quality sound that goes wherever you go - coast to coast. Displays song title, artist and entertainment genre.

Exterior-
    Convertible top, power folding, includes glass rear window with integral defogger

Headlamps, bi-functional high-intensity discharge, includes automatic exterior lamp control

Wheels, 5-spoke aluminum, 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm), front and 19" x 10.0" (48.3 cm x 25.4 cm), rear

Mechanical-
    Engine, 6.0L LS2 V8 SFI

Performance Handling Package, performance-oriented package for the Gymkhana/Autocross enthusiast, includes power steering, engine oil and transmission coolers, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, specific shock absorbers, larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, specific tires and performance gearing, Z51-specific, 6-speed manual transmission or performance axle ratio with automatic transmission

Transmission, 4-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive

Transmission, 6-speed manual, short-throw

Dimensions-
    Wheelbase 104.50
    Overall length 179.70
    Body width, without mirrors 73.60
    Overall height 47.70
    Curb weight, lbs. (kg) Coupe 3214 (1458) Convertible 3210 (1456)
  • Options
    speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Has anyone else here noticed that the C6 looks remarkably like the new $240,000 Ferrari 456GT replacement? They are both getting unveiled at the January Detroit Show, so the comparisons will be interesting.

If Chevrolet makes an interior to match the beautiful exterior, I'll be interested in buying one and won't have to save for 10 years to afford a Ferrari. ;o)
  • Options
    Local dealer told me the the coupe will be arriving in June, the conv. in Oct.....Did not ask him about the pricing(Does anyone know?)...I'm buying one year after they come out(let them work out the bugs).......
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    No (5 speed?) man-u-matic available?
    Odd . . .
    - Ray
    Who had been really hoping that something like this would make the C6 option list . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    GM's RWD 6-speed manual is still undergoing testing, coming in MY 2006. The FWD 6-speed Ford paid GM to produce is just about ready.
  • Options
    Chevrolet says they haven't developed an F1-type transmission that's good enough for a Corvette, and that the standard 6-speed or automatic are well-suited to handling the Corvette's torque.

Chevy marketing also says its core buyers are basically divided into "must shift" or "must have auto." I've read some very negative things about Ferrari's F1 transmission in the British press (Autocar and Car), so really, GM deserves the benefit of the doubt on this imo. Wouldn't matter to me, as long as the car is tight and the cheap interior problem is fixed (my two main gripes about the current Vette). This car looks like a winner.
  • Options
    What about displacement on demand?

profile looks like the 360 modena.
    I see some 456 in it too.
  • Options
    i would prefer GM concentrate on getting the six speed auto right. For the interim until these F1 style trannies become more popular and reliable I am fine with the choice of traditional stick or 6 sp auto.
  • Options
    poisondartfrogpoisondartfrog Member Posts: 102
    Displacement on Demand is dead on the C6, according to what I've heard.
  • Options
    poisondartfrogpoisondartfrog Member Posts: 102
    Also have some dealers requiring $1000-2500 deposit on C6s for MSRP.
  • Options
    Wait till the cars are out for a little while, then you'll get 1,000's off the sticker + any bugs will be worked out....I live in NY & there's a dealer just outside of Atlantic city who deeply discounts new Vette's....I'm buying 1 year after the C6 comes out..I guess when people really want a car they don't care what they pay for it....Me, I want to get the best deal, therefore I wait....
  • Options
    I guess GM didn't think Vette buyer's would want a car that sounded like a 4 cylinder. LOL.
  • Options
    bobfishbobfish Member Posts: 48
    I heard rumors the base price of the new C6 is going to be around sixty grand. Hope this is not true sounds like the General is snubbing the average working guy and gal going for the working professional type.I think they better look back to 1953 when they tried to sell the new Corvette only to the rich and famous.
  • Options
    Where did you hear that?...
    Defintely not, unless...
    DOES ANYONE know where the engine came from, and how many horsepower? I can figure why it would be priced at 60K if it has anywhere from 490 to 500 horsepower...
  • Options
    Read it in Vette magazine.
  • Options
    A 60k pricetag would almost certainly be for the ZO6 replacement, and not a base coupe.
  • Options
    I read the pricing is going to be similar to the C5 Vette....
    You can't raise the price from $44,000 for a base C5 Coupe, to $60,000 for a C6 coupe.......
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The Next C6 Z06 will have 500 HP.

Then a "Blue Devil" edition with 600Hpo from a bored and stroked 7.0L will come out with 600HP and sell for $100k.

A Ford GT fighter that will weigh 2900 lbs.
    2007 model.

DrFill
  • Options
    Hope your right about the price of the base C6 being about that of the current C5,want to buy a C6 convertible in 2006.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that 1 of the big shots at GM said the pricing is going to be similar to that of the C5....We'll have all the info. we need when it's unveiled at the Detroit auto show in early Jan.....I'm buying summer of 05(prob. just a coupe)....They'll be out for a year at that point & hopefully any kinks will be worked out.....
  • Options
    ...the first REAL PICTURE, COMPLETE WITH HEADLIGHTS!!

http://69.39.84.240/photopost/data/655/1140c6real4.jpg

Outstanding.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The front is too derivative, looks like an NSX or Ferrari by the lights. Other than that it looks pretty good. Any interior shots?

M
  • Options
    Looks a little like the callaway Corvette front end.
  • Options
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    It all looks perfect...ahem, except for the dark interior. Otherwise, WOWOWOW!
  • Options
    Is that the dealer that always advertises with the guy who never blinks, Ernie Boch? They say they are trying to become the second largest Toyota dealer in the world, so it wouldn't surprise me that they cheat their way there.

Anyway, I just realized my previous post didn't work for some reason. Here is a new pic of the C6 that will be in the Feb. Motor Trend:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_25/car_portal_pi- c_12946.jpg
This discussion has been closed.