Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Did you ever hear from nkelly? I'm heading up to Washington this summer and thought he might recommend some jeep trails up there.

My Wrangler is too clean at the moment - I took it to Vegas this weekend for an investment seminar instead of the trails. Came back on Monday so didn't even have the excuse of bad traffic to get out into the desert...

ccladrew - I have a hard top, which I love, so I don't know anything about soft tops.
  • supercrusupercru Member Posts: 9
    I would like to find a way to get a couple (2-3)more inches of drivers seat legroom in a new Wrangler. Has anyone tried to squeak out an inch or two by remounting the front seat? How about after market seats? I am 6'-7" and would appreciate any ideas. (Other than a painful surgical option that is...) Thanks in advance for any help..
  • markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Do you own a Wrangler? I'm 6'5" and the legroom is a concern of mine- I sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show, and it seeems to be enough, but I haven't driven one yet. I think I'll need the tilt steering wheel since my knee hits it when I press the clutch. Any thoughts?
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    6'1" here.

Just barely enough.

For what it's worth, if anyone needs to replace Jeep seats, I hear that the Ford Mustang seats are an exact match for bolt holes, so that opens up possibilities with aftermarket and junkyard finds.
  • jeepfreedomjeepfreedom Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I've been contemplating buying a 2002 or 2003 wrangler sport. Does anyone know of changes for 2003? I read a couple of months (can't remember publication) ago that the I-6 may be replaced with a V6. Can anyone verify or discredit this? Any input will be helpful and appreciated......thanks

opinions wanted.....green or patriot blue w/camel interior?
  • jeepspinnerjeepspinner Member Posts: 4
    Hey Mtngal!

I am an on again, off again lurker on the Wrangler list, but just had to chime in, because I spin, knit and weave! My travelling wheel fits nicely in the back of Harley Jane - I just strap the legs to the hooks on the floor so the wheel doesn't fall over. The wheel is much happier now that it doesn't have to rattle around in the trunk of a car!

Here's the details on the Jeep -

Name: Harley Jane
    Date of Birth: December 15, 2000
    Model Year: 2001
    Model: Sahara
    Color: White

I love my Jeep - I smile every time I drive her!

Now I just have to move where there are mountainy trails to play on!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Town Hall from a fellow weaver (been loomless for three years, but on the lookout for a 2 harness to make some rag & churo rugs).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    My mom has a loom and spinning wheel. I used to know how to knit and spin and weave when I was a kid, but have probably forgotten it.

Welcome!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Nkelly has just plain disappeared on us. I have not heard from him in ages. I have though about him and wondered what happened to him.

I hate it when our buddies just disappear like that.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    You are 6'-7" tall? Geez! Just remove the front seat and sit on the back seat while you drive! :)

Seriously, I hope you find a solution. It would be a shame for someone not to be able to enjoy having a Jeep. Good luck.

tsjay

I saw a kid at the Y getting out of a Saturn sedan (older one). He just kept getting out and out and out. He must have been around 6'8" or 6'9" tall.

You never know how a car might fit.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Who knows where they get their information, but Edmunds reports that the Wrangler will keep the 4.0L I6 for one more year:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/futurecars/articles/44810/page019.html

• big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    I'm 6-4, and my biggest problem when looking at cars was headroom. There's plenty in the Wrangler, and I fit fine for legroom with the driver's seat all the way back (and slightly reclined). My only pet peave is that I don't have the tilt steering wheel, so I have to crane my neck to see some of the gauges.

I think you'll be alright at 6-5 (and definitely the tilt steering wheel), but the only way to know for sure is to take one of those suckers out for a drive!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. I've never tried spinning, but I think about it every time I pass the alpaca that lives on the main road! I always thought that jeeps and off-roading didn't quite go with knitting needles! As I've said before, Wranglers seem to go well with all sorts of people - tall, small, those who just drive to work and those that love going places without pavement.

My husband is only 6' and he has no problem with either leg room or head room. However, the back seat is barely big enough for me - he doesn't even try to get back there...
    Hi Everyone-

Thanks for all of the advice over the past 2 weeks. I went to the dealer last night and took the plunge. Here are the details for my new baby.

Name - Simmone
    Birth 3/13/02
    2002 Sport
    Black w/ black soft top
    30" Canyon Tires
    Dana Rear Axle
    3.73 Ratio
    Trac Lok Differential
    AC
    Side Steps
    CD and 7 speakers

MSRP 23290

I traded my Camry for this and was able to get a very good deal.

The blue book of the Toyota was 9700- I was able to get 11000 for that, and Simmone at 200 over invoice. It took some arguing and patience, but I got the deal and drove it home last night!

I can't wait for the summer to come so I can pull the top down.

Thanks again for the advice!

By the way- 6'5" and it fits fine.
    CONGRATULATIONS! I know you have to be in 7th Heaven right now!

Sounds like a fantastic deal! (And a great Jeep)

Have fun and share the joy with us by posting here and telling us how you are enjoying your early days with the Jeep.

Once again, congrats!

Your profile says you live in Illinois. I am in Ky., so if you live in southern Illinois, we may not be too far from each other. We might be able to get together at Turkey Bay on Ky Lake for some "wheelin'."

tsjay

Conrats on the new Jeep! You'll have a great time with it. So, tsjay, now you're a real convert to the "get it dirty" gang! It is lots of fun! In some ways I wish I earned more - I wouldn't be quite so cautious on the trails - I can't afford high repair bills, like a friend of mine who is always replacing or tearing up something on her 4x4, lifted, locker installed, etc. Toyota truck.

I'm having a hard time - I would really like the Rubicon, but haven't ever felt a need for lockers, etc. And I'm not sure having 2 Wranglers is the most practical idea for us, but I sure would like that Rubicon...
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hello Jeepers..
    Im still here ....
    Been busy...working alot..trying to spend more time with kids too...
    hope ya'll havent forgot about me...
    only update on tazz..got the door windows tinted..
    looks GOOD now..
    Mark congrats on the jeep!!

keep jeepin
    BT
  • jim222jim222 Member Posts: 8
    My 99 Wrangler Sport has 32K on it at present. Last fall I discovered the defrosters did not work. My dealer here in west Michigan said he would take care of it under warranty. When I picked it up, he said that it was a 6 hour job and the dash had to be removed. He said that his dealership has had about a half dozen returns to be remedied for the same problem. Now my dash has a couple of annoying rattles. Has anyone else experienced the same situation?
    Thanks for posting your problem. My '98 Wrangler heats and cools just fine - but all the air goes only through the defroster ducts. It had switched the A/C to the defrost ducts once the first summer we had it, then went back to operating normally. It was involved in an accident the next winter and I didn't notice until the next summer that the air (cold or hot) only goes through the defroster ducts. I've never bothered to check into it, since the only difference is that it is less efficient A/C (for heat we always have it on defrost anyway). From what you are saying, I REALLY don't want to correct it!

By the way, it looks like we might have some winter after all - it snowed last night! Hopefully more snow tomorrow! Hooray - an excuse to drive the Wrangler!
  • chevyluvchevyluv Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping for a 2002 Wrangler with the 4.0L.

I'd prefer to buy an automatic because most of my weekly driving is in traffic around Nashville. I expect to drive on the interstate only on weekends.

Considering that I-40 and I-65 have become so congested that I will only get to drive above 70 when traffic clears, is an automatic a reasonable choice?

How many rpm is the engine turning at 70-80 mph?

I've owned two Wranglers before; a red, soft top with 4.0L and 5-speed and a green hardtop Sahara, also 4.0L, 5-speed. The 5-speed was great for the open road and for the few times that I went off-road, but shifting gets old in rush hour traffic through downtown Nashville.

Any advice?
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    My 98 sport is an Auto with 307-axle ratio and my Monday morning commute is 5 + hrs. Most of my driving is between 55 and 60 but I do run 65 to 70 on the Interstate with no problems. The MPH to RPM's is as follows 60-2100, 65-2250,70-2400 75-2550 and 80-2775 give or take a RPM or two. I did have Old Red up to 80 one time but I was not very comfortable driving at that speed. I hope this helps.
    Anyone have some suggestions for how to break in the engine? I have the 5-speed 4.0- The dealer told me just to take it easy for the first 100, and then drive it normal after that. I remember seeing a post here about this, but I cannot find it. If anyone has recommendations, or the post number, I would appreciate it. She has 98 miles right now, and I have been taking it real easy so far.

Thanks!
    I would just be sure not to stay at one speed for miles and miles at a time. It is good to vary your speed during break-in. Also, don't get too crazy on RPMs: don't wind out the gears real far.

I think it would be OK to get up to 60 or 70 MPH for short periods after the first 100 miles. After 500 miles, you ought to be able to just drive it however you want to. That's about the way I broke in my Thelma Jane, and she is also a 4.0 with 5 speed. It seems to have worked fine with her.

tsjay

Thanks for the input- By the way, I live north of Chicago, about 10 minutes from WI, so I don't venture down to the southern part of the state too often. I plan on taking some road trips this summer, so I'll take you up on your offer if I go through that area.

Oh, and I hugged Simmone last night...
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Hi All,

Sorry it's been so long since I've been here, but with work, school and all I've been pretty busy.

Ok, here is my problem. I STILL have my 95 Firebird and have spent almost $1000 in repairs. My intuition tells me that something almost as expensive may be in the not so distant future. I desperately want a Jeep of my own, but I have another problem. I owe $3400 on the bird and the trade in value is $4914, the private party price is $5681 and the dealer cost is $7023. I feel I need to get rid of it asap before something else needs to be fixed. My preference is to buy a new X model, but because of the balance on the bird and other debt, I don't know that this option will be feisable. I'm also looking at used, but the possible lack of warranty as compared to the 7/100,000 mile warranty of a new Jeep is very appealing...but there again is the rub...the cost of a new one. Help I want a X model with the following options:

*automatic
    *cust. prefered package 24X
    *Wheel plus group
    *Full doors/soft top or hard if the price is right
    *am/fm cd stereo

I've seen a couple of 1999's (one's a Sahara...but I don't know if it is still in the dealer's inventory)so we'll see.

Seriously folks, I need you opinion and I need it asap...please give serious thought to your answers as time could be growing short for the bird and I want to get the most for it if I can sell it outright.

Thanks for any and all input (careful tomster I know where to find you ;) ).

Deb/aka dwrangler

Hug your Jeeps for me (til I can hug one of my own). ;-)
    I'd keep it simple in your case.

Avoid the addons, and get a used one with whatever it is available with for options.

You can add tires, wheels, hard top (I got one for $650!), and CD after the fact. I would shop around for a '97-99 model and either try to trade your car or sell it in a private sale (more $$ feasible). Go with the 5 speed. They are more fun, more reliable, more economical, and more available.
    Does anyone know how these TSB's work? Are they warranty covered? What is the overview on these? Here is one for an example:

Make: JEEP Model: WRANGLER Year: 1997

Service Bulletin Number: 980320240398 Bulletin Sequence Number: 909 Date of Bulletin: 06/98

NHTSA Item Number: SB600888
    Component: HEATER:WATER:DEFROSTER:DEFOGGER
    Summary:
    A SQUEAKING NOISE MAY BE HEARD WHEN THE SYSTEM MODE IS CHANGED FROM FLOOR TO PANEL OR DEFROST. *YC
    Deb..
    so your ready to take the plunge huh...
    I say..sell the bird private party...clean it up real good..inside & out...get that for sale sign up!!
    Then..go for a used jeep..more economical...
    be picky..start looking now...get those newspapers out...
    You know about jeeps..dont let anyone snub ya...
    then later on you could trade that one in one a new one...

GREAT hearing from ya again...stay in touch gal!!

KEEP JEEPIN'
    BamaTazz
    (roll tide)
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Technical Service Bulletins are a great way to help your mechanic diagnose and repair problems. The TSBs are issued for common defects and include symptoms, applicable vehicle/model/years, and repair procedures. For owners of all cars, there is a high likelihood that your vehicles problem has occurred with hundreds or thousands of others, and the TSB is an aid for dealers and repair shops to more quickly identify and repair the problem.

I have a buddy who is an independent mechanic, and whenever something goes awry, I go over to his shop and search the TSBs. If I find one on the subject, I drive over to the dealer with a printout of the TSB, and usually they just perform the repair, no questions asked. These are great for things like body mount problems in the 97 TJs. The early ones had a wierd popping noise that would mysteriously come and go - seemingly at will. The dealer could not reproduce it or figure it out. I found the TSB, said this is what it is, and he replaced the body mounts no questions asked. BAM! No more popping noise.

I had a 1999 Chrysler 300M that had about half-dozen or so problems with it over the 3 year lease. Every single one of them had a TSB on it. In fact, I would not even bother taking it to the dealer for repair unless I had the TSB number in hand. Saved ALOT of time, and the dealer seemed to appreciate it as well.

You would think that the dealer shop would search these first, but the ones in my area don't. I guess they just don't have the time, and they rely on the mechanics experience to diagnose the problem.

As far as warranty goes, unless the TSB says that it is covered under a special warranty, you are at the mercy of the original warranty for all repairs.

For whatever reason, the Wranglers dont seem to have many TSBs, even though I've heard of weak spots that have been common such as the cracked windshield problem with early TJs owners - I have yet to see a TSB on the problem. I think that DC may just pay less attention to problems with Wranglers as they do with their other vehicles, partly because Wrangler owners usually just overlook things like squeeks, pops, and other noises, and since the drivetrain has been around for so long, they've worked all the bugs out already. About the only thing really new on TJs apart from suspension, is reletively less mission-critical things like electronic accessories and body and trim stuff. I think there is only a dozen or so TSBs on my 2001 model. That is not alot, compared with other cars. My 2001 Explorer Sport Trac had about 30 or so last time I looked.
  • jim222jim222 Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like you might have a problem with the defrost flapper like I had. Scroll up to message 4776 that I submitted. Good Luck
    Hey, guys and gals! Well, I have been back offroad again. I went to Badlands, which is an offroad park in Attica, Indiana. Met old JeepBoy up there and the Central Illinois Jeep Club.

That place was awesome! I wasn't prepared for how tough some of the places on the trail were going to be. I probably shouldn't have even gone there without at least having trac loc.

Thelma did well for a stock Jeep and a rookie driver. She took the strap for the frst time, so I guess I'm officially an offroader now.

I am now more than ever dying to get some mods! Most of the Jeeps in the group had lifts and some lockers.

We came out of it with no damage, but after running the green trail (supposedly the EASY trail..yeah right!) the CIJC guys ran the orange trail. I headed home after the green, since I had a six hour drive ahead of me, and because I had no business trying the orange trail anyway. I found out from the CIJC forum last night that one of the guys got some body damage on the orange trail.

tsjay

• oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    What did you think of the BFG tires that you are running? Were you wishing for a bit more of an aggressive tread? Were the other folks running mud tires, swampers and stuff?

I still intend to order a Sport on the 15th and am undecided on the tires. The GSA tires have to go.

Did you take your copilot Ross Allen (I think that is his name)?

Sounds like the Dirt Bug has nailed you pretty hard. I know I used to spend a lot of quarters at the car wash cleaning up after running in the mud. Use to keep a roll of quarters in the glove box all the time.
    I'm not sure how much difference muds would have made. I got high centered, and at least one wheel was off the ground. If I had lockers, I guess as long as I had one back tire with traction, Thelma would have kept going. I don't even have the factory trac loc option... just an open rear end. Get Trac Loc, Toady, unless you are gonna put after market stuff on. I wish I had gotten Trac Loc.

I WANT MODS!

tsjay

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom, sounds like you are getting into this offroad stuff. Must be good if you went that far for one pass at the trail.
    Keep us posted on these experiences. As excited as you are about them, I find myself being excited with you.
    You are in Chicago, right? So, you would only be about 100 miles from Badlands. Let's meet there some time.

Yeah, offroading is a blast! It absolutely amazes me what even stock Jeeps will do, although Badlands sure pushes the envelope.

It took me a while to get past the idea of keeping Thelma Jane from dirt or any possible damage. I still do not want her damaged, but I can handle the dirt: it comes off! :)

Jeeps are in their natural element when they are on a trail somewhere. You can just tell Thelma Jane was "born" for this stuff. She is a happy Jeep when she is climbing a hill, driving through mud, or driving down a creek.

I will definitely keep everyone up to date on any future runs.

tom

"The TSBs are issued for common defects and include symptoms, applicable vehicle/model/years, and repair procedures. For owners of all cars, there is a high likelihood that your vehicles problem has occurred with hundreds or thousands of others, and the TSB is an aid for dealers and repair shops to more quickly identify and repair the problem."

Yeah, but I look under the Wrangler page, and wouldn't know where to begin. There is no ranking of important or unimportant ones. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, many duplicates or similar.

"If I find one on the subject, I drive over to the dealer with a printout of the TSB, and usually they just perform the repair, no questions asked."

Is your car still under warranty? How does one go about this?

"These are great for things like body mount problems in the 97 TJs. The early ones had a wierd popping noise that would mysteriously come and go - seemingly at will. The dealer could not reproduce it or figure it out. I found the TSB, said this is what it is, and he replaced the body mounts no questions asked. BAM! No more popping noise."

I get a weird noise sometimes when accelerating and turning right (such as pulling out of a street). Could this be it?
    Wow! All I can say after watching you develop on this board.

Did you undo the (anti) sway bars for better traction. If not, that might have helped.
    Hey, Guy! No, I didn't disconnect, but that may be in my future too. It might have made some difference by allowing a tire to drop on down where it could have gotten a little traction instead of hanging in the air, which, of course, is the idea behind disconnecting.

I think a cheap locker for the rear may be the first real mod that I get. I think a Lockrite can be had for around $300 to $350 installed.

Tom

• chaser1chaser1 Member Posts: 20
    Just dropped into the last section of this thread so if you've already considered...sorry.

First mod should be tow points front and rear.

Second mod is up to the individual but, one popular theory is body/mechanical protection. Crushing a rocker panel might upset you, especially when protection wouldn't have been all that expensive to get. Of course, the "other" theory is that body damage adds "character" - sort of like a tattoo, but with a better story behind it!
    Thanks for the tips.

Chaser, I already have added factory tow hooks front and rear. Did that a few weeks ago.

I'm with you on protection. I am considering the rocker guards for Thelma Jane. I guess the factory gas tank skid is adequate? I was wondering what I might need for underneath protection?

I'll check out your links tonight when I get home, nony mouse. Thanks.

tsjay

• goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Tsjay--you may want to think carefully about a Lockrite. It may be cheaper than an aftermarket limited-slip but it has all kinds of handling weirdness in snow and they can be pretty noisy. For your limited use I'd stay with the limited slips like the Truetrac.
    Where ya been? Thanks for the input. I am still in the investigative stages as far as a locker, but I am really lovin' the offroading thing!

Lots of folks have told me that a good, cheap route is the Lockrite or Detroit EZ locker. They also mentioned the quirks that you did, though.

Probably won't do anything for a while, cause money is tight. Just got my re-finance loan approved on the house, so my monthly payment will be lower than the two payments I am making now on the mortgage and on the home equity loan.

tom

I don't think my stock LSD does much - the one time I got stuck (high centered in snow) it didn't help at all. The only thing that got me out of it was a shovel (dug the built up ice and snow out from under the frame so the back wheels could find something besides air). I want to hold out until I can afford air lockers - much of what I would like to do is in the sand and having some way to air up my tires when I hit the pavement would be a real plus.

A friend of mine has detroit lockers on an old bronco and he doesn't like the change in handling at all. When it was still (more or less) a legal vehicle they always towed it to the off-road area rather than drive it on the streets.

It sounds like a lift would help What type are you going to get?
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Glad to see you got in to wheeling Tsjay and that you are lovin it.
    The stock gas tank skid is not even close to being acceptable. The little piece of tin foil is just there to hold it in place. Unless you want to see your gas tank capacity decrease, I would get a skid plate on it.
    There is a new one that gives 2" more clearance.
    Don't know much about it.
    http://www.carolinarockshop.com/GTSkid1.htm

The kilby is a good one
    http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/gtsp/gtsp.shtml
    These require more complicated installs but I think they are worth it.

I would do the gas tank first. After that it is hard to say. Lots of things need protection.

The stock LSD does suck. Mine only seems to engage when both rear wheels are level. Which is usually when I don't need it. You can pull up a few clicks on the E-brake or tap the brakes to help engage it. Someone I know pulls the E-brake all the way up and then releases it. I was pulling mine up a few clicks and leaving it, but that is not always forcing it to engage.
    I can't wait until I replace it.

mtngal
    I would go with ox lockers over arb air lockers. I don't have mine yet, but I will let you know how I like them once I get them.
    http://www.oxtrax.com/
    No way...
    It cant be...Tom has fallin into the offroading pit or no return...
    I that means im the only one left..who doesnt believe in getting a $25,000 vechile dirty...
    Well somebody on here has gotta be the smart one..might as well be me..
    Kidding!! Glad you had a great time Tom..
    Now where ya gonna find the money for all these mods?... hmmmmmmm
    sell the wife?

Keep Jeepin..
    BamaTazz
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hola

Actually, Tazz, I think I'm probably the last one who hasn't done the offroad thing. I still don't have too much of a jones to do it. Maybe something super simple like driving on dirt and grass or something. But the whole rock-climbing thing is a little too much for me for now. I don't want to cause any damage to my toy, even in the pursuit of (more) fun :-)

On another note, I was driving on a freeway and a stray rock off an 18-wheeler struck my windshield, causing a small 3/4" crack :-( The good news is, because it's so small, I think it can be repaired. A buddy told me about this liquid that they drop in and it just seals it up. Anyone have experience with this? The repair will be free, but if I choose to have the windshield replaced, it will only cost me a $50 deductable because of some glass coverage I purchased on my insurance. Let me know any thoughts!

yellowman
    Hey, you guys been sleeping for the last several weeks? How come we never hear from you any more?

You boys enjoy those Jeeps and stay on the pavement. Thelma Jane was already the most fun vehicle I ever had, even before I took her offroad the first time! That's the great thing about our Jeeps... they can be enjoyed in different ways. That's what matters most, that you are enjoying your Jeeps.

I still can't believe that I finally got Thelma in the dirt either. It would still break my heart if I ended up getting her damaged, but I can handle "dirty."

Boys, you just don't know what you have until you take that Jeep offroad. They are truly amazing in what they can do! Just a warning: if you try it, you will love it, and you will go back again, and again!

Yeller, my little S-10 had a star in the windshield, and I had it repaired with that liquid stuff. It worked great, and you would have to know where to look and stick your nose on the spot in order to see it now. Whenever the windshield is replaced, there is a chance of a bad seal and a leak. I would try the repair first. The company that did my repair also replaces windshields, and if the repair work ever fails, they will deduct what you spent on the repair from the cost of replacing the windshield later. It cost me $50, but that was less than the going rate. My insurance company told me to tell them to give me the lower rate. I guess they send that outfit a lot of business, so they gave me the lower price. You might check with your insurance company and see if they can get you a discount.

c ya, Guys!

Tom