Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar: Problems and Solutions

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If I buy a 2003 3.0 S-Type Select Edition with about 50K miles and drive it for 3 years and 40K miles before getting rid of it (to have some warranty coverage remaining for the next buyer and help private party resale), how much should I expect to spend on maintenance in those 3 years?

What are the regularly scheduled maintenance services required between 50K and 90K miles and what are typical costs at the dealer?

What about non-maintenance "wear items" not covered by the Select Edition warranty such as a 4-wheel brake pad job etc. that might likely need replacement between 50K and 90K miles?
  • midgesmidges Member Posts: 1
    Re More Jaguar Problems-- I have sympathy as I own a 1998 XJ8L that has 63000 miles. Purchased it new and over lifetime have had many electrical and door lock problems. At this time the electronic locks do not work Dealer has quoted $650 for new module located under back seat. Does anyone know if there is an after market supplier that has a less expensive offering. Are they relatively easy to instal? A week before Christmas car had to be flat-bedded to dealer with a blown upper radiator hose caused by a stuck thermostat. Dealer charged $525 for this. Immediately after that the car developed an engine noise which the dealer has analyzed as secondary timing chain and has quoted $2800 to repair. After market repair shop says they can do it for $1700. Am I at risk going with non-dealer even though repair shop only does Jags. They both advise that timing chain problems are a frequent problem. Is this correct? Is this the time to sell the best looking car on the market, as a fellow Jag owner indicates that the next problem I can anticipate on the 1998 model is transmission problems. Are there any other problems I should anticipate? Would sincerely appreciate experiences and opinions. Please treat as urgent. Many Thanks. Midges
  • volsfan1volsfan1 Member Posts: 1
    Over the past 4 months I had a concern with the transmission on my 2002 Jag x type and the dealer kept telling me the herky-jerky motion I noticed was normal. I had the 40k maintenance in early December and the warranty expired although the car had only 35K miles. Last week the transmission quit working and Jag and my local dealer tell me the repair will cost $6150.. This dealer has performed 100% of maintenance since new..
    Any suggestions?
  • xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    I have a solution to all of your jag problems, sell the ones you have and never buy another jag..

hope that helps
    If you took the car to them about the transmission problem before the warranty expired and they didn't fix it, you should be able to get them to pay if you either take them to court or talk to Jaguar customer service.
  • u2jrmwu2jrmw Member Posts: 14
    Just wanted to share my disgusting experience with Howard Orloff Jaguar in Chicago. Last night I went to take a look at an X-Type at aforementioned dealer, they don't have parking space in downtown Chicago so the use their porters to valet. Before I pulled in I put my iPod in the drawer under my seat so it would at least be away from temptation. The guy working there asked me to pull the car up and leave the keys in so they could move it. I went away to look at the X-type. When I came back about 15 minutes later I reached into that drawer and my iPod was gone. My car had been moved so they had driven it. I searched around, but obviously it had been stolen. The guy that had been attending to my car (not the one who had moved it and the sales manager both looked as well. No sign of it. I have since searched my car 4 times, it is not a nano so it can't vanish. They looked concerned and assured me I would get a call from one of the owners the next day who would make sure it got sorted.

So I called them the next morning around 10a.m. and left a message with the owner. I didn't hear back so I dropped by at 11. The sales manager said he had just got in and hadn't had time to review the security tapes. Away he goes for 20 minutes. When he comes back he tells me that the tapes show only one person in my car, and he trusts them explicitly...

He said there was nothing else he could do and he would need to talk to the owner later that day and I would get a call.

Didn't hear anything at 3pm. Left another message for the owner.

Got a call at 3:30pm from the sales manager telling me they re-reviewed the tapes and saw nothing suspicious and there is nothing else they can do.

I filed a police report and a complaint with Jaguar NA, and I will be taking them to small claims court.

Not only am I annoyed at their final response, all the way through the process I felt like they thought I was trying it on, or they knew that I would have to end up taking them to court and they didn't think I would.

My advice avoid this dealership like the plague.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please be very careful about posting phone #s publicly in a forum. To protect you we remove any post with your personal phone #.

You should always contact other users privately and exchange information. You can click on their profile name which appears hightlighted in blue in the header of their post and this will reveal their e-mail address (if they have made it public in their profile.

thank you

Host
  • ricjac8888ricjac8888 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to get suggestions on how to eliminate knocking sound on my x-type front suspension, the problem basically is when you use it there is absolutely no sound for the first 15 minutes but afterwards, even small bumps and humps would irritate you because of the non stop sound. Brought it to Jaguar Service center and have replaced lower suspension arms and stabilizer bushing to no avail. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :(
  • kippatelkippatel Member Posts: 1
    SAME PROBLEM I HAVE ANYTHING HAPPENED YET ? HOW CAN A HIGH LINE CAR HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS @ SUCH A LOW MILEAGE ?
  • millermanmillerman Member Posts: 2
    my 2000 s-type has become more of a hassle then a luxery car to me. from changing spark plugs every 10000 miles cause they foul up to leaking anti-freeze from nowhere to be seen. to burning up oil slowly cause they engines cant handle more then 50K miles on it... im trying to do a full tune up on it now and i cant even find the oil drain plug.. ive searched all over the engine and under the engine and chasis... nothing.. i can only find the oil filter... plus the power coils for electronic ignition burn out faster then the gas does... im down to 10.2 mpg on fuel... about 140 hp from 240 normal... why does such a high priced car be such a pos... and now when i turn my wheel i get a nasty squeek like my belt is slipping.. i have full power steering fluid also... good thing jaguar is a luxery car... should have went with honda or toyota.. atleast i dont know to worry about breaking down so much... but i dont have tranny problems YET thank god. time to sell it to some kid who wants to flose and get girls with it.
  • distinction9distinction9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and have owned my 2000 jaguar s-type for about a year. Well yesterday i was taking out my winter rims/tires and putting on my summer ones and i noticed a severe leak of red fluid which is assume is the transmission fluid. When I inspected it furthur i noticed that its not leaking a little...its a lot of leakage! What could be the reasons why this happened? When i try to pinpoint the leak...i cant really get it to one specific point.
    The other thing is that i really need a car to drive so im thinking about just putting in some more fluid and driving it to a mechanic or something...the problem is that i dont know where to fill in more fluid from. I looked in the owners manual and it doesnt mention anything regarding that.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
  • jagmikejagmike Member Posts: 2
    I have a huge issue with my Jag. When the car is driven (until the temp gauge is half way up) my transmission makes a horrible noise when it shifts. The gears don't slip - it shifts fine. It's just a loud squeal when it shifts from gear to gear (upwards). When the car has reached it's normal temperature --- no noise! I've taken it to the local Jag dealership and they don't repair - only replace transmissions -- yet they can't confirm anything is wrong with the transmission. Apparently, thier diagnostics confirm the tranny is great. So, I took the car to a local Aamco -- they confirmed the tranny was fine. Any ideas?
  • dubinskidubinski Member Posts: 1
    I have no message lights and checked the fuse and it's ok. The dealer says maybe 8 hours to take the dash out and find the problem,

Has anyone lost these lights and if so, what was required to fix it?

Thanks,
    Dubinski
  • jagmikejagmike Member Posts: 2
    I have had to replace bulbs in my dash lights. The dealership charged $125 -- it took about 2 hours.
    Nice.
    2 hours labor to replace dash bulbs or 8 hours labor to troubleshoot some warning lights that don't work.
    The car sounds like it is a bit too difficult to work on.
  • corkys1947corkys1947 Member Posts: 1
    Have a new 2006. When moonroof is totally open and the speed is 30-50mph, the whole roof vibrates and a vibrating sound is very loud. Took it to dealer and was told that I need to partially close the moonroof and it would cure the problem. Also told that all S types erform the same. In fact the loaner S type vibrated. Told dealer that it must be a design flaw or and assembly problem as my 03 S type never vibrates. The dealer (Bluff City British Cars in Memphis) said it must be a design flaw in the 06 models. Called Jaguar and they said no other complaints like this have been filed. Has anybody had this problem?
  • dbaindbain Member Posts: 3
    Dear sir I'm having the same problem with my jaq,please tell me how it was fixed?
  • jaguar09jaguar09 Member Posts: 12
    My problem still exist so I have filed a lawsuit against Jaguar because they want to act like this problem does not exist. They claim no one else has this problem and no one has been hurt because they do not want to admit they have this problem so they want have to do a recall.
    There is a gentilman that had the same problem with his xj8 and he said the dealer changed the ecw relay ,and he hasn't had the problems since.the only problem is the car has a munber of these big vuses.so I don't know which one to change .I'm trying to find this guy's message,when I do i'll let you guys know, hey by the way called the dealer about the stalling ,and asked if there was a recall ,he said yes there is one on the 98 xj8.it's a part on the toddle body.
    Please keep me posted. I really appreciate your assistance.
    I took my car to the dealer here in columbus ohio, and they changed the whole troddle body on the car for free,so far no stalling .I'm driving to chicago this weekend to put it to a real test. :)
  • xj8manxj8man Member Posts: 1
    My XJ8 99 68,000 kms had all the problems you'd ever hear about but Jag/Ford fixed everything even beyond the extended warranty. I'm now driving around in basically a new perfectly running Jag. Nothing compares to a Jag.
  • uniquegtlmnuniquegtlmn Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if my security system detected that I disconnected my CD player from the trunk of my 1993 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas. It's as though I now have a gremlin in the car. I turn the ignition on and none of the warning lights come on. In addition the clock is in the radio and with the car off the clock is on, with the ignition turned on the clock is off. When I checked my manual under security system it mentioned that my security system possesses the following items, and one of is starter motor immobilise. I had taken my CD out because it wasn't working, possibly no power getting to it. The CD player I am speaking of is the 6 cartridge player that mounts in the trunk. All the things that the car doesn't do since disconnecting the CD player power connection is...I turn key on, want to shift the car into neutral, won't do it. I turn the key on the radio doesn't play, the warning lights don't come on, the turn signals won't work, but the parking lights come on, head lights don't come on and the car won't start. I disconnected the car battery for about ten minutes thinking it might reset the computer, something jaguar told me to do years ago when my keyless battery went dead and I couldn't get the alarm to go off. Anyhew, I'm stuck over the holiday weekend without my car...I hope someone can help.... :(
  • sgmsgm Member Posts: 23
    All British cars do this.....it is their way of marking their territory. :sick:
  • delmydelmy Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this, but i love it. I think is very useful.
    I have a 2000 Jaguar Stype.Yesterday i got a transmission fault1. I would like to know if this has happened to anybody else. What did they do. I got the tranny flushed today. It also jeks when I put it in reverse gear.Am I gonig to need a new tranny?I am very busy, i dont want to sit at the dealer all day. Please respond ASAP. I will greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if there is good extended insurance for this car that any body would recommend. I have one but, I think it could be better. And no,I still love the car, I dont want to get rid of it. Its been good to me so far.
  • porteno45porteno45 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problems with my car, did you get some help from somebody. Appreciate what you can share :cry:
  • mylemon2mylemon2 Member Posts: 21
    Forgot to tell you, I CRASHED!!!! Could have KILLED me or someone else!!! This is a VERY SERIOUS problem!!!! Did get hurt.
    I only bumped another car but I have stopped driving my car until the lawsuit that I filed against Jaguar has been resolved. They do not think that this problem exist. We need to figure out how we can talk offline because my attorney may want to speak with you. I hope you did not get hurt bad.
    I'd be happy to talk to your lawyer. If you leave me your lawyer's business phone#, I could call him/her. I just filed a complaint with The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at www.nhtsa.dot.gov or call(888)327-4236 I saw 7 other Jaguar complaints with the SAME problem on this web-site! NHTSA looks for multiple complaints & patterns & investigates them. They can also take legal action even with as few as 7 or 8 same complaints. Really suggest you add your complaint & I encourage others reading this to do the same! Numbers rule. Glad you only bumped a car 7 didn't get hurt. Could have killed you or someone else. Definitely a time bomb!
    If you click on the user's name above his post (hot link in "blue"), and IF the user has made his e-mail in his profile "public", you can then e-mail him/er.

Try not to post "third party" phone #s publically.

Host
    Thank you for your message. I will try to do that. The reason that I suggested that the person provide the lawyer's business phone # (with the lawyer's permission, of course),is because most lawyers publish their business phone #s publicly in the Yellow Pages, and some also advertise. I'm sure they get their share of crank calls and probably are adept at screening them. As for my privacy,I would expect the phone to be answered as "Law Offices of ----", no matter what time or day I called that phone number. I could hardly expect a phony to keep up a charade 8 hours every day. I hope we are able to successfully communicate off line about the serious Jaguar problems. Again, thank you for your message.
  • michelnicolmichelnicol Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of leasing this model jag. Does any one have problems with it? i read the moonroof post, is there anything else?
  • joe57joe57 Member Posts: 3
    possibly dead or dying battery?
  • colekacoleka Member Posts: 4
    I must admit that I have had no problem out of the S-Type 3.0. Rides well, hugs the road and I love it. The only thing that I am having a problem with at the moment is that when I take the key from the ignition, the auto steering column which adjusts to let one exit the car, keeps beeping. Sounds like the car doesn't know it's in park. Sounds like the rear sensors warning that lets one know the car is nearing an object. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is annoying.
    I love the S-Type! No problems other than this annoying steering sensor when I exit the car. This is the only problem I have encounter as it is being worked on as we speak. Other than that, it's a good running, heavy car. It's body's so heavy that depending on how one runs it, will make sqeaks and rattles that you may have read about in other messages here. The car is fast, but is really to be driven as a "road hog." It's built for it as it hugs!
    No humming for me, but I get a snagging noise. Like you said very low, but can hear it. I took it in, but nothing resolved. I think it's a Jag problem -- being the support -- the car is so darn heavy.
    I have the same car. It costs $600 for the D.C. area.
    There is a problem with the brakes on some of these cars that move forward while your feet is on the brake so I would recommend that you check it out before leasing this car.
  • erikmesaerikmesa Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 with 49,950 miles I bought last year. I've been very happy with the car overall as its a certified preowned Jag which means the nice 100,000 mile warranty.

Tonight the battery light came on on the dashboard. I tried starting and restarting a couple of times but its still on. The headlights look fine (not dim) so I wasn't sure if it was the alternator or what.

Anyone run into this problem? All the manual says is "generator fault" but nothing else. What could it mean?

Thanks, ErikMesa
  • lemoninorangelemoninorange Member Posts: 1
    I have had a sudden acceleration accident with my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L. It occurred as I was slowly pulling in beside a gasoline pump. I was almost at a stand-still when the car just took off crashing into the car directly in front. I plowed right through the forward car's left bumper and kept right on going. I could hear the car motor racing; the tires were pealing as I tried to brake. The car suddenly stopped. The accident report officer said that the fuel line had shut down because of the force of the crash ( a safety device, built-in, perhaps?) Luckily no one was injured seriously. However this happened in April and I have been told repairs will not be completed until August -- we have hardly any repair shops that are equipped to handle the new aluminum body frames. But since I do not wish to drive this car again, I'm not certain what will happen when it is out of the shop. My insurance company wanted me to have our Jaguar dealership check it out before the repair, but Jaguar said the car checked out fine and I must have inadvertently slammed on the gas. That definitely did not happen!! If any one has any proceedings started I would love to hear about them. I will call the NHTS as suggested and file a report. BTW, I had only owned the car for 4 months. We had purchased it used off the dealer's lot. I really did love that car, darn it.
    Jaguar is not going to do anything because they do not want to admit that this problem exist. They realize it will require a recall and may cost them a lot of money. I am glad no one got hurt. Well, the judge have finally ruled that I can go forward with my lawsuit against Jaguar because of this problem. It has taken me 6 months to get to this stage. I will forward this information to my attorney. Let me know if you live in the Atlanta, Georgia area and keep me posted.
    I am so glad that you can go ahead with your Lawsuit. Wish I was as lucky. I spoke to 2 lawyers who don't think there is enough "proof" that it was the car that was at fault & not me. How were you able to convince your lawyer & the judge that you really do have a case? What is your lawyer's specialty? Maybe I just chose the wrong type of lawyer. Meanwhile, Jaguar if FORCING me to pay monthly lease payments for a car that I will never drive again, plus I am paying for a daily rental car. If I turn the car in to Jaguar, ("early" Lease termination), Jaguar wants ALL the Lease payments for the entire 27 months of the Lease, PLUS, they will be getting back the car with only a few more miles on it than the day I leased it, at approximately the same value as was listed on the Lease!!! My accident was only 5 days after I leased it (used). Jaguar can then turn around & Lease it to someone else ("DOUBLE DIPPING") or sell it! In other words, the sudden acceleration which could have killed me provides Jaguar with a GREAT opportunity to make TWICE as much money !! And, they still own all the equity in the car!! Now, I understand why Jaguar won't do a darn thing for any of us! I sure hope you win your lawsuit. And please tell me What I need to do to start a lawsuit. Right now I feel like I am dealing with the Mafia!
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Is there more than one dealer in your town? Is it possible a mechanic at another could diagnose the problem?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of reports of cars accelerating suddenly, all the way back to the audi that ended up being driver error, so i imagine it will be hard to get taken seriously. You will have to somehow show it is a mechanical error in the car.

Can't you ask them to fix it thee times, and make them take it back as a lemon?
    Only new cars qualify under Lemon Law. Car is 3 years old.Also, even if it was new, car would need to be in for the same problem 3 times for Lemon Law. What kind of STUPID law is that? Car crashed the FIRST time & almost killed me or could have killed or injured someone else. Am I supposed to have 2 more serious accidents before Lemon Law kicks in???? Maryland & Georgia have smart legislators that realize that it only takes 1 brake failure (or sudden accelereation) to claim under Lemon Law. But, for used cars, there is nothing I can do! Any suggestions?
    My recollection of previous lawsuits about sudden acceleration was that the claims were defeated by demonstration that a car cannot overcome its brakes when acceleration from rest; that is, if the brakes are firmly applied the car cannot move forward, even at wide open throttle. So I guess you'd have to prove sudden acceleration AND brake failure simultaneously, or you'd have to prove that your car's engine can overcome its brakes acclerating from rest or near rest.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    If you floor the brake, then floor the gas, the car won't move. The lawyer shows the jury this, and says, so do you think maybe the person mistakenly had their foot on the gas, and this is why the engine raced and the car didn't slow down when "they stomped the brake to the floor?"
    It's an intriguing problem, because for the accident to happen, both fuel system and brake system has to fail simulataneously, and then both have to quickly return to normal operation again when examined by police or the dealer. This must be tough to prove, since IIRC no sudden acceleration lawsuit has ever been successfully prosecuted.

However, there were some lawsuits that were settled because of the bad DESIGN of the gas/brake pedal arrangements....

Reading NHTSA's findings on sudden acceleration complaints is interesting....
    You are correct and that is the reason why Jaguar prefer going to court then admit they have this problem. I think it is a microchip problem that override the brake system. I filed in federal court to have a better chance because the judge ruled that I did not need to determine the problem for Jaguar it is there responsiblity since they made the car. I will fight this case to the end because I do not want someone else to get hurt or killed because of this problem.
  • aliabadialiabadi Member Posts: 4
    Could you figure this out? I have exactly the same problem with my XJ8 1998.
    Please Email me at saliabadi@jsums.edu
    -Thanks.
    I will send you an e-mail.....
This discussion has been closed.