Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Stereo/Audio

gkman1gkman1 Member Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in Toyota
Did anyone get the dash kit from American International...I know that they only have black and I was wondering how it looked.......I was curious if it matched ok with everything else....I have the silver stock one which I'm sure everyone probably does.

Let me know,

MIke

Comments

• bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    just had mine installed today, it looks okay being that the dash is part black, will post pic in morning dark out right now.
  • gkman1gkman1 Member Posts: 8
    Did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?? What did they charge...?? I was wondering how it looked becaus eof the grayish dash.....

Thanks!!
    i had it put in by stereo stor they charged 40 bucks, the kit did not come with the wire harness, so the 40 dollars included the wire harness, and trying to post pic but camera software is having problems with computer, but does not look that bad, just look different from the silver one from the stock one.
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    As for speaker upgrades, this looks to be something that really streamlines the process of installing new speakers. I will wait for it to become available, very informative site. tacotunesdotcom
  • goofballgoofball Member Posts: 20
    If someone is looking to add AUX inputs to the 2005 Tacoma factory 6CD stereo I can confirm that the USA-SPEC DF-TOY adapter works great! The install is kind of a pain in the butt but once done the AUX inputs show up as CD1 Disc6 Track1 for input 1 and Track2 for input 2. Controllable from the steering wheel controls. Enjoying better sounding XM and MP3s now.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Pain in the butt? One snap-off panel and four bolts is painful? :D

Be happy you never replaced a stereo in metal panels, before prewired harnesses and aftermarket dash kits! You had to walk two miles in waist deep snow, uphill both ways, just to get to the car! ;)

The aux input does work really well... I'm happy too.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Here's some info I got from TacoTunes

Dash Kit:

First off . . . the tacotunes dash kit is WAY overdue . . we have had two different prototypes delivered and installed on 3 vehicles. The company we are using out of china to develop the dash kits has been very slow to complete the project. We have had many delays that are causing a large number of emails.

To help deal with this delay, we will offer a color matched dash kit from American International. We will also offer custom color dash kits to match the color of your taco. If you are interested in the color matched kits please let us know.

You can see a sample of the dash kit at http://www.cardomain.com/id/robsatx and very soon on our new re-designed website. Please click on the, I like it URLs!

NOTE: The American International kit is very nice kit in black, but when painted it will show some of the “slight” imperfections in the plastic. The kit is painted with the best Dupont auto paint and a plastic specific primer. We have had the kit in two of our five test trucks and have had a really good results and positive comments. The color is VERY close and we have clear coated for a long lasting product.

Approximate Cost $49.95 for standard silver and $69.95 for color matched (your truck color). Other colors will be available also. The cost includes the stereo wire harness kit for your 2005 Tacoma.

Subwoofer Cabinet (Double Cab Tacoma):

We have installed two of these units and have had some great results. The subwoofer cabinet will fit behind the driver side seat with some slight modifications to the truck. We will be offering the cabinet in the following configurations:

8” square hole for 1 Kicker SoloBaric S8L72 / 4 subwoofers
    8” round subwoofer for most 8” subwoofers
    Dual 8” square hole for Kicker SoloBaric subwoofers
    Dual 8” round subwoofer for most 8” subwoofers

The cabinets were designed in CAD and cut by a computer guided blade. They are a sealed design and will be covered with a material used in truck bedliners. More information will be provided in the next couple of weeks. The initial design will be the square hole for the Kicker SoloBaric. When our new website is updated we will post pictures and begin taking orders. Please let us know what configuration you are interested in purchasing. We will announce the next configuration upon reviewing the comments from our customers. All four units have been drawn and designed in a CAD and ready for production. The only unit IN production is for use with the one 8” Square SoloBaric.
  • goofballgoofball Member Posts: 20
    I have replaced several old style crimp-em up non-DINs (with the separate knobs and faceplate that gets screwed down with a nut) in my first couple of vehicles. This was definitely nothing compared to that. I was referring to the location and depth of the outer lower two bolts on the factory stereo. One was slightly cross-threaded at the factory and made for a heck of a time backing it out since I didn't have a 6" extension for my socket wrench, only a 3". I couldn't put out enough torque with the socket driver I had to spin the bolt free so I had to back it in and out a single click of the ratchet at a time. My next purchase from the tool shop will be a 6" and 12" extension.

The only thing I am dissapointed with on the DF-TOY is the output volume being rather weak. When listening to CDs 30-35 is rather loud. On the DF-TOY, even with my XM Roady2 @ 8 on the aux output (9 distorts pretty bad, 8 is clear as can be) to get to the same level requires setting the volume above 40, not to mention the leveling consistency issues XM already has between channels...

A photo of the glovebox install, no plastic was harmed in doing this (no post is complete without photos). I used industrial velcro (IE, the stuff they use in cars to hold headliners up):
  • borkedborked Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know the factory speaker sizes on the 2005 tacoma regular cab? Is it 5 1/4" in the bottom door panel and are those tweeters in the top door panel? if so what size are those tweeters?
    Not sure about the regular cab, but on a double cab, the front speakers are 6X9" and the rears are 6.5". The tweeter locations are pretty big. With a little custom bracketry you can fit just about any size tweeter behind that grille.

I would assume that the regular cab has the same size doors as the double cab and it should probably have the same 6X9s in there.
  • strangedudestrangedude Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

Just picked up my 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab over the weekend. It has the JBL system with the subwoofer, etc. Now I need to get my XM radio and IPOD installed. I ran across this forum and this particular thread.

I have a couple of questions:
    1) I assume that the indash CD changer still works once the USA-SPEC DF-TOY adaptor is installed? If so, how do you trigger the aux inputs and also the indash CD-Player? Do you keep pressing the CD button?
    2) I'd like to do the work myself, can anyone point me to a guide that shows me how to remove the factory stereo so that I can install the adaptor?
    3) It'd be great if someone has any photos of the installation process that I could reference.

Thanks in advance. What a nice truck, Toyota did a great job on this one. Much better than my '91 toyota V6 pickup - which I finally gave up after over 200K miles.

Enjoy.
    -David
    Here's some info on removing the radio and installing an Ipod Interface.

link
  • mcgraw1mcgraw1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Pioneer Deck at Circuit City (compatible with the IPod) and found out they didn't carry the deck installation kit. I got the American International kit from Ebay. I went back to Circuit City, and they are not sure Metra makes the harness for the 2005 Tacoma yet (that's the only company they go through). I'm waiting for a call back. What wiring harness did you get, and what brand? You help would be appreciated, since I've had to deal with this for about a week now.
    I am not sure, i went to best buy and they had everything , they installed with no problems, and took only about 45 mins, i think someone else may know, but check best buy if you have one in your area.
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    I got my wiring harness from Crutchfield. "Toyota/Geo Receiver Wire Harness For select models, 1987-up". Works great, and it's free if you buy your receiver from them. Only $9.99 by itself. I also used the American International dash kit. I painted it silver to match the original, and it look spretty good. I'll post some pics soon.... Good luck!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gq65Id6jxG5/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120701761
    I think the wiring harness for the 05 Tacoma is a general one that is the same as previous years. Just look at what Toyota harness' they have and see what matches the plug in your dash.
  • strangedudestrangedude Member Posts: 2
    Cool. Thanks for that link - the photos will be very useful. I ordered the USA-Spec AUX device from Cruthfield, looking to install it next week. If any is interested, I can take pictures of the install as it is done. Let me know.
    Thanks!
  • guttaperchaguttapercha Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I just bought my Tacoma - with the stock radio, so out it comes and the mods may begin - woohoo! Being partial to components, anyone out there know of any descent ones that fit with little door chopping? I put some Infinities in my Subaru that I'm very happy with.

Also...anyone out there using an Infinity Basslink in an access cab? If yes, where does it fit?

Gracias,

JD
    To fit a component set in, you'll have to make or buy some adapter plates to mount some 6.5" in the doors. The stock front doors have 6X9s.

Check this website for info on the speaker adapters.
    Taco Tunes
  • jroksjroks Member Posts: 8
    Hi All,

For those of you who used the Tacotunes adapters, how did you route your speaker wires?

From the pictures of the factory speaker setup it looks like you just connect the wires to the side of the speakers. I am aware that the Tacotunes kit comes with an adapter harness, but I am not sure how this is routed. Any pictures would help.

I am planning in installing Infinity Reference 6x9's, 6.5's and tweeters with the Tacotunes adapters.

Thanks!
  • taco2timestaco2times Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up the D-Cab 4x4 LB this evening, and can tell I'm going to love it!

I've replaced many stock stereos in my time (as well as have had more than my share stolen), and am wanting to keep the new truck stock. I have the basic AM/FM/CD stereo and would like to install the JBL w/subwoofer if possible. The dealer said I would have to replace a "huge wiring harness", :confuse: that would make the whole process way to cost prohibitive. Is this true? In my recent experience, all new vehicles come pre-wired for whatever option the manufacturer offers.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Yeah, for once the dealer was right. If you don't have the JBL system then your truck doesn't have all of the right wiring in it. And the harness that plugs into the amp isn't like just a couple power and signal wires. It's a whole bunch of wires. The factory always has to make it so complicated. :mad:

I would just buy a small aftermarket amp and sub. It will be cheaper anyway. I bet that sub enclosure is like $500.
  • taco2timestaco2times Member Posts: 3
    Thanx for the answer. I think I'll see if I can live with the stock stereo until next spring, then look into the TacoTunes stuff. BTW, do you think just replacing the stock speakers with decent aftermarkets will make a big enough difference to make it worth going through the trouble of changing them now?
    Yeah, the stock speakers are pretty weak. The stock magnets are only as big around as a half-dollar. :(

Replacing the door speakers makes a big difference. Then later on you can add some amps and subs.
  • rcyr99rcyr99 Member Posts: 4
    Is it a big job to take apart the door and replace the door speakers? Also is the factory head unit enough power to get by for now?
    Scosche has finally put out thier dash kit. Looks better than the American International one.

Scosche Link
    Click on my name, E-mail me and I can send you a link with a detailed description of how to take off the door panels and install speakers.
    Have you found anyone selling them yet? If yes, where? Link? Price?
    You can get them straight from Scosche. MSRP $49.95. You'll have to Google for the info. The Moderators here always whine at me when I post e-mail or phone numbers.

Whatever.

:confuse:
    Actually, after calling Scosche, they are not even out yet. They said the end of this week before they could even ship. $49.95 + $8 shipping if you call the 1-800# on their website. He said most dealers would not have them for a while......
  • memomemo Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried the PA10-Toy? It's supposed to controll your iPod through the CD changer controls and has an extra AUX. Also, will I still be able to listen to my CDs or am I screwed with that? THX
  • jonfosterjonfoster Member Posts: 1
    will the DF-TOY work with tacoma stereos that are single cd/am/fm???
  • memomemo Member Posts: 2
    Just in case anybody's interested I did some research and found out that you can still use your CD player. You're supposed to press the CD button to toggle between fucntions. I went with the USA Spec PA10-Toy because you have an extra AUX port along with a connection that charges and controls your iPod with the stereo buttons. It's a lot pricier but the functions are worth it.
  • capanaparocapanaparo Member Posts: 7
    Any body have any input about how to installed two 6" JL Audio Subs?
    I trade my 2003 MR-2 for a Tacoma 2005, and want to use these subs. Have any body have installed the 6X9 MB Quart comp in the front doors? Have also 4300 JL Audio that would like to use in this truck.
    Full of questions, need guidance.
    Thanks
  • 05tac05tac Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to bypass the factory amp so I can wire up my pioneer N2 deck( my double cab came with the premium jbl system) Best Buy said they would charge me $60 to do it. Also where is it located and how do I remove the panels to get to the speakers without breaking any door clips.
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    As usual, pb2's got it right again!! Taco tunes has the stuff!! That dash kit looks like a good match and the speaker mounts are a must...I'm thinkin a Sirius equipped head unit(brand to be determined) w/ a MacIntosh amp and maybe the High-end Infinity's for the speaker upgrade. That should sound pretty good!!
    hi, i got a clarion head unit that comes with sirius equiped just had to buy the tuner and activate, i bought the head unit for $400, there are some lower, just thought i would drop a line because i have everything installed.
  • mremptywalletmremptywallet Member Posts: 5
    My question is simple. Given the stock stereo wiring, what will i need to hook up my amp?

Ill need the usual wiring available, ie. Remote wire/RCA jacks bla bla.

And where do you guys suggest is the best place to run the power wire through?
    I had my amp connected to my stock stereo untill dash kit came out, but you will need a hi-low converter, the usual amp wiring for stock stereo, and the wiring goes underneath the carpet to the back where i assume you will put the amp, the wiring then goes to stereo unit, then through firewall to battery, did not install myself but in a nutshell thats it, maybe someone that actually installed theirs wil help
    There is a big rubber grommet where most of the stock wires are going through the fire wall. You can use a razor blade to cut a slit in part of the grommet and slide your power cable through. If you are having trouble getting the wire to feed through the grommet, get a small metal pipe (I use a piece of an old wind chime) and stick the stiff pipe through the grommet, then stick the wire through the pipe. Once the wire is through the pipe, just pull the pipe out and down the wire til you get the pipe off of the end of the wire.
    So what brand or model of HI/Low converter would you recomend?
    i am sorry but cant remember what brand its was but you can find the almost every store that sells car audio equipment, this allows for the rca adaptors that are required for the amp.
    Ok, thanks for the help.
    Some of the lower priced amps usually have speaker wire (aka Speaker Level Inputs) as well as RCA inputs. This might save you a little $, and make the install look and sound cleaner, since it is built into the amp. Look for this feature when you are amp shopping.

This MTX amp has speaker level inputs built in.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X8LbgrFoGLN/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=236TA3401&g=100
  • cirykciryk Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Trying to install aftermarket HU in my 2005 Tacoma w/JBL system. I can't find a harness to integrate with the factory amp. Any suggestions?
    I was able to get it all working and got it wired up all good. It sounds great. I wired it up through the speaker wires directly. I just spliced them. :D

FYI if you need the stock wiring guide for the Tacoma, go to http://www.installdr.com/. It helped me out a lot and was very easy...
  • georgetacogeorgetaco Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in installing the Eclipse avn2454 in my 05 tacoma.... I heard that eclipse is the company that makes the stereos for toyota and that the original harness plugs right in the stereo... Can anybody clear that up for me?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you heard correctly.
    Has anyone noticed how crappy this clock is? You cant see it in the light at ALL unless you cover it up with your hand... Any one know if there is a way to change the lighting from orange to something like blue?
  • socaltacosocaltaco Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys. After doing some research I ran into this device made by JL. Its called the JL clean sweep and it can be found here...

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=79

Looks like it retails for about 300-400 bucks. Considering what this does for you it is worth it.

It will keep you using your factory unit with the sound quality of an aftermarket stereo. I know a lot of people would be interested in keeping their stock head unit. this will allow you to do so!

saocal
This discussion has been closed.