Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Here's another good one for ya:

http://web.ntown.net/%7Erhmelton/42loveaffair.htm

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Ive been trying ALL day to get those torx bolts off to install relocation brackets.
    Also. What size ratchet do you need to take doors off. Been working on that too..
    But..the biggest pain was inastalling the Bikini top. That was tough..
    ANON..thanks for the links..
    DWRANGLER.. hang in there gal..
    i believe the saleman will deal with ya..
    how are gonna finace it?

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
    Just wondering who does which regarding doors/mirrors:

move factory mirrors using ____ bracket:
    aftermarket 2nd set of mirrors:
    homemade mirror mount:

alternatively:
    don't take doors off:
    doors off, no mirrors:

Thanks
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    You know, mirror regulations vary from state to state. Not all states require side mirrors. You might go to your state's DMV website and find out what is required--I used to keep a copy of Oregon's statute in my glove box (no side mirrors needed as long as you can see with the rearview mirror) in case I ever got pulled over while doorless. Come to think of it, it's probably still in there...I never got pulled over for not having side mirrors, at any rate.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm one of those that have never taken their doors off. I do remember how much fun it was when I was driving Army jeeps that way, though.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I just leave the mirrors off. I called the state police post and asked about the requirements in Ky as far as side mirrors, and no one knew. :)

The guy I talked to said that I shouldn't worry about it and that he, personally, would not stop anyone for no side mirrors.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    The nuts that have to be removed to allow the doors to come off are 13 MM. You said "ratchet," but I guess you meant socket?

I strongly recommend a boxed end 13 MM wrench for loosening the nuts, and that you go real easy. A slip of the wrench could mean a scratch in your paint job.

Also, once the nuts are off and you start lifting the doors off, GO SLOW AND COME STRAIGHT UP! You have exposed some threads by taking those nuts off, and they will certainly do a job on your paint, if you let them touch the Jeep as they come off.

Be prepared for a heavy load, too. Those puppies weigh a ton!

Good luck, Bama.

Tom

(from here on in, add yourselves... just copy the following text, modify your number, and repost for the next guy or gal)

move factory mirrors using ____ bracket: (0)

aftermarket 2nd set of mirrors (leave originals on door when taking it off): (0)

homemade mirror mount: (0)

don't take doors off: (1) mtngal,

doors off, no mirrors: (2) godducks, tsjay
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I'll probably finance it for no more than 5 years. I had a suggestion from the UPS driver that does the morning drop offs and he suggested trying to lease it then I could buy it if I wanted at the end of the lease period. I don't know about that...you can get screwed just as much in a lease agreement as you can a loan. I'm not sure about Chrysler...I've never taken out a loan with them but I'm going to talk to the salesman when it comes time to deal. He told me that they deal with banks that can match pretty closely to the interest rates DC offers. I like the looks of the canyon wheels with the BFG's that I saw when I clicked on the posting by anonymous02 and I especially liked the color...Sienna :). As I've mentioned before I have to get the hard top to make "Dad" happy. But the words of encouragement for you all helps alot...THANKS! :)

Well gotta run for now

Hug your Jeeps for me :) ...til mine comes ;)

dwrangler
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    (from here on in, add yourselves... just copy the following text, modify your number, and repost for the next guy or gal)

aftermarket 2nd set of mirrors (leave originals on door when taking it off): (0)

doors off, no mirrors: (3) godducks, tsjay, twylie

-twylie
    mirror relocation backets..
    doors off tomorrow hopefully..
    Looks like we have a rain free weekend.

Thanx tsjay...
    I remembered you posted that a while back..
    I didnt feel like searching for it..

dwrangeler..maybe u should check out the banks yourself 1st..to make sure. I dont really think you can get a good auto loan that matches chrysler.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
    Leases are fine for some people, and I know someone who wouldn't have anything else. BUT they keep within the mileage they buy, turn it in each time and so on. Someone else I know had a lease and was going to end up owing money at the end of it. It was a JGC and was able to trade it in for more than the outstanding amount on the lease (I never did understand his situation).

Leases won't work for me. I put too many miles on a vehicle, and that wouldn't be so bad if I bought the car out. The one lease I looked at was for 4 years, and the amount owing at the end of it meant that I would have to finance it as a used car for another 3 years. I'd end up paying for it for 7 years. Not a good idea! Edmunds has an excellent article about leasing, both pros and cons. Just a personal thing - if you can possibly do it, go for buying it on a 5 year note. That's what I did. It's worked great for the Wrangler, but not for the Tacoma (which depreciates faster than I'm paying it off).

I think that California requires a driver side mirror, so I would have to put mirrors on if I took off the doors.

A question to those who are doorless and have checked into it - in the Army there was a strap across the door area as a (minimal) safety thing. Do any states require something like that when you go doorless?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I personally don't like leases--they make it very easy for the dealer to hide hidden costs and so on. As mtngal points out, the 5-year loan is the way to go if you can swing it. I paid mine off a bit earlier than that, but I originally took out a 5-year loan. Check out credit unions for good rates, that's where I took out my loan.

Mtngal--Cali does require side mirrors if the vehicle is registered in the state; otherwise, it just needs a regular rear-view. Judging from all the doorless & side-mirror-less Jeeps I see around San Diego I don't believe it's a very heavily enforced law.
  • cklausingcklausing Member Posts: 16

aftermarket 2nd set of mirrors (leave originals on door when taking it off): (1) cklausing

I use the quadratec quick-mirror on the driver-side, nothing on the passenger side. Took all of about 10 minutes to add on the mount, and attaching/detaching the mirror as needed takes only a couple of seconds. Figure that is easy enough, and I like having a driver-side mirror.

chad
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    (from here on in, add yourselves... just copy the following text, modify your number,
    and repost for the ext guy or gal)

aftermarket 2nd set of mirrors (leave originals on door when taking it off): (1) cklausing

don't take doors off: (2) mtngal, jptj

• appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Deb,
    The process of buying a new vehicle is kind of like making sausage isn't it?

A couple of pieces of advice on financing, some of which I learned through bitter experience...

1-Already have a loan lined up when you go in to negotiate. It doesn't mean you can't work out a good finance deal with the dealer, but it gives you an option. The dealerships make lots of money on the financing, so make them work for your business! I agree with goducks1, Credit Unions are a good place to start to look for financing...

2-Negotiate your price first, then negotiate your financing. Leasing is an alternative way to finance...

A lot of people lease because the "monthly payments are right...",and don't even look at the final purchase price. Dealerships, of course, love that!

I go with mtngal and ducks in that I, personally, prefer to get a straight loan. Fewer variables at the beginning and end of the loan, and at the end the Wrangler is mine!!

Good Luck and I'm enjoying hearing your progress through the process!

Cam
    The poll is coming along. It might help me, and hopefully it will help others.

here it is:
    (from here on in, add yourselves... just copy this and the following text, modify your number, add your name, and repost for the next jeeper)

• markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32

doors off, no mirrors: (4) godducks, tsjay, twylie, markwarren66
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    I think everyone knows mine already...but here you go...

(from here on in, add yourselves... just copy this and the following text, modify your number, add your name, and repost for the next jeeper)

move factory mirrors using Steel Horse (or Sun Performance, I don't have the package) bracket: (1) madman

Since I have to drive on base everyday, I figured I better have the mirrors. Here in Tampa, it's been raining everyday, so the top and doors are back on, but I did not put the nuts back on the door hinges, and I left the mirrors on the windshield.

The Torx is a T-40 on the windshield mount, and as tsjay said, a 13mm on the door hinge. I did not worry about stripping the nut, as it is not noticeable anyway (and I didn't put them back on anyway). I was careful so as not to scratch the paint on the body though. And the full doors are HEAVY for thier size. Not too bad lifting them off by myself, but then I had to carry them up 3 flights of stairs to my apartment.

Hope this helps.

madman
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I am seeing this reference to 13MM for the door hinge.

Question, are most of the nuts metric or standard or a good combination of both? Maybe they are from Kentucky:-)

I went cheap and bought a small plastic food storage container and put some basic tools in it. I went with standard ratcheting box end wrenches (not sockets) instead of metric.

Do I need a combination of both standard and metric? Just don't have much room for lots of tools since I am keeping them between the drivers seat and the flipped up rear seat.

Guess I can always use a pair of pliers:-)
    ratcheting box end which is not a socket?

It almost sounds like it could be an ad for one of those "do everything" wrenches.

(These used to be called VISE GRIPS!)

I'm telling ya, vice grips, duct tape, and WD40 will take you a long long ways.

here it is:

move factory mirrors using ____ bracket: (1)madman390[Steel Horse/Sun]

You ain't heard about those boxed end wrenches that have ratcheting teeth? I don't have any, but I've seen them advertised.

Tom

In what little work I have done on Thelma Jane myself, the nuts and bolts have been either torx or metric. I guess all I have done that involved tightening or loosening any of the factory nuts or bolts has been taking the doors off (metric), taking the hard top off (torx), and installing tow hooks (torx). That rear tow hook might have required a wrench in an english size. The tow hooks were Mopar, bought from a DC dealership.

The aftermarket stuff like the overhead CB rack and the rocker guards have had english size nuts and bolts.

Tom

• appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40

here it is:

move factory mirrors using ____ bracket: (1)madman390[Steel Horse/Sun]

don't take doors off: (3) mtngal, jptj, appstate88

Sears Craftsman, check em out. I have had a standard and metric set for at least 13 years.

If you are working in a cramped space you do a little better with the ratchet.

Yea, I have the duct tape and vise grips already, no WD40. Got a small roll of 14 gauge wire (rated at 200 pounds) which can come in handy also. Never know when you might knock off a piece that you need:)

Still a happy camper.
    If the Good Lord ever made a day for topless/doorless Jeepin', this was it! I drove Thelma Jane to work today, and she was topless and doorless.

I got a little chilly this AM on the way to work, and I should have worn a jacket. I thought about it, but decided not to.

Took Thelma to a Sonic Drive In at lunch and had my regular lunch buddy with me. My buddy, whose office is just across the hall from mine, is really getting Wrangler fever. I let him drive Thelma to the Dairy Queen afer we finished eating at the Sonic. He just kept going on and on about how well Thelma rode and handled.

The temperature was just a little over 80° today, and the humidity was fairly low. Just perfect weather.

I LOVE MY JEEP!

Tom

• dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for the encouragement guys, I really appreciate it. It helps to get a good word or two every now and then especially when it seems sometimes like it won't happen or I get a set-back. I know that a Sahara is out of my league unless I get a used one, I like the Sport but it lists for what the Sahara did last year, and the X is probably my best bet but I don't think I can get canyons on it...they don't seem to be listed on the build your own section of Jeep.com.

appstat88-Cam glad to hear you find my quest for my own Jeep to be entertaining :) I've definitely had my ups and downs that's for sure ;)

Question...if I could get canyons, would bigger tires fit on them ok if I got bigger tires later? That's if I can really afford to get canyons in the first place :)

Talk about torture...you all know how I've flip flopped between red and sienna with tan interior and tan hard top...well I've seen both colors several times...it's a conspiracy...yeah that's it...a conspiracy to drive me crazy til I get a Jeep of my very own ;)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
    Just think about how this search is filling in all those empty times in your life (OK, all those empty times you WISH you had)! And think of all the wonderful stories you'll be able to tell in about 5 years when all of this agony will appear funny!

I like the sienna better than the red, but I'm influenced by my other half who, when anyone asks him what color he prefers, answers "not red."
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey there

I agree with what most others (appstate88, goducks, mtngal) are saying about leasing vs. buying. I think that in some cases with many cars, it's very similar - ASSUMING you're going to stay within the mileage limit and you're going to keep relatively good care of the car (I still personally prefer buying, but that's just me). With a JEEP, however, I think there's a distinct advantage to purchasing, for the simple reason that Jeeps have one of, if not THE, highest resale value of any vehicle out there. That means that if you can put a decent amount down up front (I think I put about $5,000 down) and you can handle the monthly payments then go for the purchase, because when it's paid off you'll be able to sell your Jeep for around $10,000 (assuming it's in good condition) so you'll be able to buy your next Jeep for that much less - that means lower monthly payments and/or a shorter loan term on your NEXT Jeep - notice how I assume your next vehicle will be a Jeep ;-)

I also TOTALLY agree with the philosophy of going in with a loan set up from somewhere else (bank, credit union, etc.) . Even if you don't actually have a loan offer in place but you know you can get one - do NOT allow the financing to become part of the negotiation. Also do not allow a trade-in vehicle to be part of the negotiation. You want to JUST be negotiating on the price of the vehicle so they can't confuse you with the other two aspects.

yellowman

here it is:

move factory mirrors using ____ bracket: (1)(madman390[Steel Horse)

don't take doors off: (4) mtngal, jptj, appstate88,BamaTazz

doors off, no mirrors: (5) godducks, tsjay, twylie, markwarren66,BamaTazz
    Well I did it..got those doors off..
    Gonna drive around tomorrow..
    Tazz looks great..with bikini top & no doors.
    Those doors werent that heavy. You do have to lift straight up. & I didnt scratch anything.
    This is GREAT..

hey tom
    I LOVE MY JEEP TOO

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
  • gstone3gstone3 Member Posts: 3
    TSJAY; Tom thanks for your note on the cracked manifold. DC said to take a hike. Replaced it today in about 4 hours. relatively easy job but should have been unnecessary; use lot of lube on the fasteners before trying to rotate. Thanks agein. Greg
    Glad you got it fixed, but I still think DC should have accepted responsibility for it, since it was a known design flaw in the 97s. There might have even been a recall on them, or at least a TSB.

Tom

• madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Came across this at another website...

http://bbb.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=002311

Personally, I don't like the look, but it should give you an idea of what others are doing.

Hope this helps.

madman

WOOHOOO...
    Spent almost 2 hours driving around topless & doorless today. It was GREAT!! Had to come back home to "put" TAZZ back together.
    JEEPS ARE GREAT!!
    Hey, Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary..
    To the greatst lady in the world. 7 years and counting.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
    Congratulations. Hope you continue to count for many more years to come.

I am still a happy camper.
    An early congratulations on your anniversary!

Yep, topless and doorless is the ultimate in Jeepin'. I even went wheelin' yesterday topless and doorless.

Tom

JINX! You owe me a coke.

Look at the time on those two messages.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, Tom had to touch blue to post the message, so he's off the hook :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Congrats on the happy event that happened 7 years ago TODAY.

Hope you make it many, many more!

(My husband and I will be celebrating our 21st July 3).
  • quikkagquikkag Member Posts: 24
    Having checked Jeep.com and Edmunds to determine a fair value to trade in my '01 Tribute as well as to get a fair price for a new Wrangler Sport with the options I would like to have, I went to a nearby Jeep dealership (largest sales volume in Texas? US?), found a Wrangler that largely (though not completely) fit what I'm looking for, and sat down to talk numbers. After appraising the Trib, they gave me their figure for the trade in, which they later admitted was the book loan value of the vehicle rather than book trade in. I told them I wouldn't accept less than the figure I had for fair trade in value. They came back saying they would accept that, but would have to get list for the Wrangler. I stood up and thanked the saleman for his time. He suggested I sell the Trib myself or try Carmax, and that if I sold the Trib, they'd sell me the Wrangler for very close to invoice.

The Wrangler we were negotiating for is patriot blue with tan soft top and interior and full doors. I'd really prefer white with tan, and half doors. The salesman told me that the plastic on the half doors where the window piece slides in eventually crack and that the zippers eventually wear out. In spite of his argument, I don't think he swayed me from wanting half-doors. I think I'm also willing to let them try to bring in a white Wrangler that fits the bill rather than drive the patriot blue off the lot, though that is a nice color. I'm still concerned about the blue being too dark considering the long summer heat here in Houston.

I'm not at all unhappy with the Trib, so I don't have to deal. It's just that I really want a Wrangler, and with the 7 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty along with the current 3.9% financing rate, it's either buy now or wait at least a year.

Chapter two to follow....

Larry

PS: bamatazz, Happy Anniversary!
    I hate the whole negotiating process and it sounds like you're going the smart route to try and separate the two transactions. We have the exact combo (white/tan/half doors) that you're looking for and love it. It's great in the GA heat!

I've had three coworkers that have sold thier cars to CarMax/Autonation in the past. For a late model, popular vehicle, they got what I thought was a very fair offer in the deal.

For anyone looking at Wranglers, I think the 7/100 pledge they have going on is a great deal. Normally, an add-on powertrain warranty would run about $700 to cover the same stuff. I'm sure this stuff is negotiable, but with the financing thrown in as well, it makes the Jeep experience that much more attractive financially!

-twylie
  • quikkagquikkag Member Posts: 24
    Your assurances are a big help.

Let me ask you, now that we're into the summer, how do you configure your Wrangler? Sides off? Top off? All enclosed and a/c cranked? Thanks in advance.

Larry
    Right now, I'm running the duster only (back seat out). If it looks like it may rain while I'm out, I'll throw the bikini in the back in case I need to put it on (it rolls up into a small cyl. the width of the windshield). If I think there is a chance I may have to drive in rain, I'll toss the windjammer (also rolls into a similar sized cyl.) and possibly the upper doors in as well. Fortunately (unfortunately?), Atlanta has been so dry this and last summer that I have only been caught shorthanded a couple of times. FWIW, we are able to garage our Jeep at the house, so having a garage or covered parking can definitely make for a topless summer. In fact, I went ahead and pulled off the soft top yesterday to make some more room in the back. I'll put it back on this winter.

With the soft upper doors, bikini, windjammer, and duster, any rain that does make it in while parked will collect in the rear floorboard and can be drained out and I can pull the carpet. I've only had to do this once so far. Flipping the seats forward in this config will keep them dry. I will sometimes get some drips around the corners of the bikini into the cab, but it's pretty minimal.

http://www.ewylie.com/images/jeep/wjam1.JPG

http://www.ewylie.com/images/jeep/wjam2.JPG

I have to spend my working hours inside A/C buildings, so I like to get some fresh air any chance I get.

If the day is going to be really hot, I'll put the bikini/duster on and run the air while I'm stopped to help cool off. The half doors let a bunch of air in and the bikini will keep you from baking.

My wife is convinced that the jeep is a 1:1 scale model. She says I'm like a kid when I get to "configure" it for its next mission!

-twylie

• jeep_boyjeep_boy Member Posts: 9
    Hey Bama!! Happy Anniversary. Today happens to be my birthday as well!! 33 years old today. Man am I old.
    Happy Birthday, old Jeepboy! What did you get for your Jeep for your birthday?

Tom

Man, sounds like you are down to the nitty gritty.

I wish you the very best of luck in getting the right Jeep at the right price. I strongly suggest that you hold out for the color and the options that you really want, even if the deal might not be quite as good as that for another Jeep.

What's a few hundred bucks compared to what you will be spending anyway? If this Jeep will have to be yours for a long time, then you really want to be sure that you are getting just what you want.

I am a good example. I am still in love with my Jeep after 18 months. I'm almost as excited about her as when I first got her. BUT... I got exactly what I wanted. Thelma Jane was a factory order, so I just told them everything I wanted on her.

Good luck! KEEP US POSTED! You know how excited I get when someone gets a new Jeep!!!

Tom

Is anyone able to get me the distance between the top of the soundbar padding and the "peak" on the soft top? My soft top is pulled and in the attic and I'm trying to make sure I don't lift my Jeep only to find out it won't make it out of the garage once the top is back up. I'm currently sitting at 6.5" of clearance from the top of the soundbar and top of the windshield frame. With the OME lift, I figure 3" at the most, so as long as the soft top doesn't need more than 3.25 inches, I should be OK. Can anyone help me out and save me the hassle of getting my soft top out of the attic and installing it? I figure if it's close, I'll just have to get a winch and some more skids to keep my height down! Thanks for any help you can provide.

-twylie
    Get out your chain saw and make that door opening higher! Whatcha gonna do when you go with six inches of lift and 35's or bigger tires? :)

Tom

P.S. Do they make garage lift kits?