Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Wheels and Tires

Comments

• fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    I don't know if any other Fit Sport owners out there have had this situation, so will post my info FYI. I have 3 08 Fit Sports and live in Nebraska, where we do get winter temps, some snow, and a lot of ice, with hilly terrain in some locations (like my driveway and the road I take to access the Interstate to go to work, or the secondary road I take to work when the freeway is a mess. The Fit Sport standard tires are Dunlop SP31s, and they are terrible in snow and ice (my experience last winter). Compounding the challenge is that I have yet to find a steel wheel in 15" diamater to mount winter tires on. Plus there's the TPMS sensors, so if you buy steel wheels you do without the TPMS and look at the warning light every time you drive with the non-sensor wheels on. Last winter I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzad WS-50s in 195/55/15 size on clearance from Tirerack.com ($289 for a set of 4 with shipping), then paid Wal-Mart auto service $14 in fall and spring to swap the stock tires off and back on (no balancing). This winter, for Fit Sport #2, I just bought a set of General Altimax Arctic winter tires (same tires as a well-known European brand, since a German company bought General Tire). I also went to a 185/60/15 narrower/taller tire to see if that might help. These were on $269 for a set of 4 shipped (same deal with mounting, un-mounting fall and spring is the plan).
    I will post an update on these winter tires on this thread after we've had a couple winter snow and/or ice storms with a report on how both the Bridgestone Blizzaks and General Altimax tires performed.
  • jratnourjratnour Member Posts: 4
    I just put winter tires on my 08 Fit Sport. The mechanic said that the TMPS would work with it. But, now the TPMS light is on. How do I make it go off?
  • hfp09fithfp09fit Member Posts: 2
    ANY help would be much appreciated...

Will the Honda Fit '08 HFP 16" wheels fit the '09 fit?

I am new to buying rims, and no one seems to know the answer for sure, but before i finalize and buy the HFP's WILL THEY FIT?

WHEEL INFO FOR '09 FIT 16" OEM alloys:
    Rim Size: 16 X 6 J (offset 53)
    Tire Size: 185/55R16 83H

WHEEL INFO FOR '08 FIT 16" HFP rims:
    Rim Size: 16 X 6 1/2 JJ (offset 55)
    Tire Size: 205/45R16 83W

as I said i am pretty clueless with regards to offset/ tire size, etc... but i don't want to end up with 4 useless... and expensive hunks of metal...

Thanks...
  • lewjac3lewjac3 Member Posts: 15
    It seems logical that 15 inch wheels would keep the rpm's lower than 14 inch wheel's, that said can I assume that 15 inch wheel's would produce better mpg, than the 14 inch wheel's?
  • hfp09fithfp09fit Member Posts: 2
    I called up some Honda dealerships across the country and talked to SERVICE/ PARTS depts. (if I am going to PAY FULL MSRP + markup for a car they can aford to answer all of my many questions over the phone...) and here's what I learned... (hopefully all is accurate):

+(ALSO check out college hills honda (C.P.H.) on youtube... some good info)

(CAR: '09 HONDA FIT BASE)

+TPMS sensors are the same part# from the stock '09 steel wheels AND '09 alloys... they are detachable/ swapable to new set of rims... aftermarket, etc... BUT 1.) the sensors may not fit "very well" in rims that are not made with a MILed out hole... but dosent seem to be a big deal... per C.P.H. video... 2.) there may be calibration issues due to tire/ rim size changes in tire pressure... this can be solved by a $95 TPMS calibration from honda... this is actually in the instalation instructions for the accessory alloys... the sensors from '08 WILL NOT work for '09... (no work around at this time except swaping the sensors or disabling the light... something about a diff. wireless frequency...)

... this may account for the TPMS light turning on even if the sensor is installed...

1.) the tire shop/ installer could have broke the TPMS sensor when changing tires/ rims... see C.P.H. video of changing out a TPMS sensor, he actually slightly breaks sensor with "clamp" even though he is a HONDA tech and seems to be being carefull... i am shure if this happens there is a chance they will just install it and not tell the customer... also the sensor does not really fit too well in a new set of rims, which could be affecting its reading...

2.) the tire pressure may have changed for the new set of tires... (snow or otherwise) causing the sensor to trip... i would be safe and either manually check tire pressure or take to HONDA to calibrate the TPMS... but thats just me, and it is almost $100 bucks a "pop" to calibrate (no pun intended)...

3.) finally from what i have been reading the sensor really only engages after the pressure is dangerously low in order to prevent "catastophic tire faliure"...remember those FORD explorers some years back... but this should not replace manually checking tire pressure and regular service... the sensor wont help protect against MPG loss/ poor handling due to slightly lower pressures...

... i hope any info here was helpfull... but also i make no guarantee it is correct... assume it is wrong and call up HONDA... or go in and ask the service techs for your specific question...

-$174 for a set of installed floor mats... WHAT!!!!!!!?
  • HMBHMBHMBHMB Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2009 Honda Fit w/Nav. The std tires are the 188-55-R16. I live in Seattle and I need a good wet weather all-season tire. I thought of going with Nokian WRG2. Nokian does not offer a 185-55-16; they do offer a 205-50-16. Any comment on the Nokians or some other great wet weather all-season tire?

Thanks, Howard
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I just got a 2009 Honda Fit w/Nav. The std tires are the 188-55-R16. I live in Seattle and I need a good wet weather all-season tire. I thought of going with Nokian WRG2. Nokian does not offer a 185-55-16; they do offer a 205-50-16. Any comment on the Nokians or some other great wet weather all-season tire?

I run the WRG2's on my 2008 Civic Si, we were going to trade the car in at the dealer as my wife really wants a 2009 Fit but they want cash on top of my car. I told them no way. The Fit with destination is $17,560. My Si was $22,000
    Anyway the Nokian tires work awesome on my Si and I'm sure they will be unbeatable on a Fit. My dealer said the tires I have for my Si would work on the Fit but I doubt it, not with the stock rims, anyway.
    You can't get Nokian tires at Tire Rack so try a local dealer I have one up here and he's very good. But I would't buy aftermarket rims from him as he's a Tire guy not great for prices on Rims.
    Nokian has an 800# so you can call them up and ask them. They are very helpful.
  • reidlavalleereidlavallee Member Posts: 3
    I have an 08 Fit Sport and I know that I will need snow tires (soon). Does anyone know if it is a problem to just switch over to snow tires on the current wheels. Could this hurt the tire sensors? I don't want to pay someone to remount the tires if the sensors could be damaged. They are not cheap. My other option would be to buy snow tires mounted on steel wheels. using this method, there would be no sensors on the car for the winter months. Can this hurt the tire monitoring system if it doesn't receive any information for several months. I do not mind seeing the warning light for a few months as long as I am not going to damage the system. I tried to speak to a Honda dealer and they said they would take care of the problem by selling me a new set of alloy rims with snow tires and sensors. They wanted over $1500.00 out the door, That is not going to happen.
    I have 3 08 Fit Sports, so have been down this road. Yes, you can take offf the stock (summer/all-season tires, which are Dunlop SP31s, and really crappy in the winter), leave the TPMS sensors on the alloy wheels, and put on new snow tires.
    The sensors should not be damaged unless the tire service person has no clue what they are doing. On one Fit Sport I did this at the local Honda dealer and they price-gouged me, $105 for the dismount, remount and tire balancing for 4 wheels.
    The next time I went to Wal-Mart auto service, skipped the wheel balancing (bought lower-cost snow tires and they wear out faster than all-season tires anyway, so balancing and rotating is less important), and Wally World charged me a total of $14 ($3.50/wheel X 4).

I've looked into buying steel 15" wheels and putting the snow tires on (no sensors) and driving this way. Yes the TPMS light will be on all the time, but this does not hurt the TPMS system (unless the indicator light on the dash itself burns out from being on each time you drive during the winter). The catch is I can't find any steel wheels for an 08 Fit Sport, not even from tirerack.com, where I've spent thousands of dollars over the years on tires and wheels. So if you find a source for 15" steel wheels for an 08 Fit Sport, please post it here.

Yes, the dealer was trying to get you to spend a whole lot of money you don't need to (new set of alloys w/sensors plus snow tires).

The ideal solution, in my opinion, is to replace the crappy stock tires with really good all-season tires that are also highly rated for winter use. The only tire I can find that meets that criteria is the Michelin Exalto Sport A/S V-rated, but a set of 4 installed is about $600 installed/balanced (about $150 each). I've been to the local Costco discount store several times, but they keep telling me they can't get any of these from Michelin. This is suspicious, because tirerack.com does have this tire (for more money of course).
  • thehermitthehermit Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 fit sport. I ordered "winter tires and wheels" from tire rack. You have to click on winter tires and wheels. They reccomended 14" wheels and tires. I ordered them and they got to me in two days. I;ll run without tpms sensors for the winter and am looking into just removing the fuse so I don't have to look at the light. ;)
  • myfitmyfit Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me how to turn off the tpms sensor light:? If yes would it mess anything else up with the computer? Thanks please respond.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Not trying to be a wise guy here... :)

The light will go out once you properly inflate your tires. The light comes on when one of your tires is a lot lower than the others or when all of your tires have gotten a bit lower than they should have. Mine comes on each year about this time as the weather first gets cold and the tires lose pressure.

You cannot disable the TPMS. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 138, requires a tire pressure monitoring system to be installed in all 2008 model year passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses. That means all new cars manufactured after Aug. 31, 2007, must have equipment installed capable of alerting drivers when tire pressure is 25% or more below the placard pressure for individual tires.
  • harrys1harrys1 Member Posts: 12
    You might want to rethink going without TPMS sensors on your snow tires. If you have an accident that results in, or is caused by low tire pressure or a blow out, your insurance company will more than likely not pay the claim. They will assert that you knowingly obviated a safety feature that your car comes standard with and that your insurance was dependent upon those working safety features. As far as the NHTSA is concerned, it is illegal for anyone to tamper with the TPMS, i.e. taking a bulb out, but letting the light stay lit is not tampering with the system, so you can use wheels without TPMS as far as they are concerned. You might fail a safety inspection in your state if the TPMS light is lit. Check with your DMV. If you do get TPMS sensors, make sure the tire place has equipment to retrain your ECU for the new sensor IDs. You will have to do this for every tire and wheel changeover, so get a price for doing this up front. Honda dealers will charge you an hour labor to do this, $115 where I live, twice every year. Asian manufacturers, in their infinite wisdom, LOL, require the use of proprietary equipment plugged into your OBDII connector to reprogram the ECU for any TPMS sensor changes. Other manufacturers such as GM or Ford use the key fob and ignition switch to do this, so you could do it in your driveway, but not Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. This is enough reason for me not to buy an Asian car this year until they change the way they handle TPMS training, or until someone comes out with a TPMS OBDII tool I can afford. Cheapest one now is around $2000, the Wheelrite Tech 400. Even that one is not yet programmed for 2009 Honda.
  • bobpendbobpend Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2009 Fit sport with Dunlop SP7000 185-55-16 tires. These tires make a lot of road noise and drum away at speeds of 35-50 mph. Has anyone else had this problem? Some of the recent Fits that have arrived at the dealer are coming with Bridgestone EL 470 Grand Touring tires. Has anyone driven on these tires to see if they are quiter than the Dunlops ?
  • retire36retire36 Member Posts: 6
    My 2009 FSA came with Bridgestones and I am impressed with the quiet ride at 65-70 on the freeway. I never have ridden in a Dunlap equipped Fit so can't comment on the difference between the two.

Dave
    Thanks Dave
    The more I drive on these Dunlops the more I don't like them.I found out they are rated as high performance A/S tires. The dealer received a new Fit with the Bridgestone L460 on the car and I had a chance to drive on them. They are quiter ride better and help with the Electric steering. Now I am trying to get the dealer to change out mine for the Bridgestone. These L460 are rated as Grand tourning. and I believe a better tire for the new Fit. I believe Honda is having trouble getting enough tires for the new Fit so they are taking tires from Dunlop and Bridgestone to fill there production orders. No other MFG is making a tire in the 185-55-16 size at this time.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Dunlop and Bridgestone to fill there production orders. No other MFG is making a tire in the 185-55-16 size at this time.

I wonder if any other size will fit on the rims?
    I like to Run Nokian tires and they only make a 195-55R-16
  • fithopefulfithopeful Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but here goes!:

I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport automatic with NAV/VSA and there are about 7,000 miles on it already. I recently brought it in to my local mechanic to get the tires rotated but they noticed what they thought was uneven wear on the outside edges of both rear tires. They advised I bring the car back to the dealer to have them look at it and run an alignment check. The dealer thought there was nothing wrong with how the tires were wearing but ran an alignment check after much arguing from me. The check found that the left rear tire was marginally out of spec and he said it was so minor there was really nothing that could be done about it or needed to be done.

Has anyone else experienced uneven wear on their rear tires? If it is not the alignment, what could it be? I don't drive like a maniac and the tires are properly inflated. Of course, the dealer says it is fine while my mechanic, who I trust, says there was a wear issue.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    7,000 would be a bit long on the rotation interval for me. Normally I go at 6,000, and on my newest vehicle my tire guy recommended I do it every 5,000 since the OEM tires didn't wear so well at a 6,000 mile rotation schedule. If you didn't really notice the wear until 7,000 miles, and the wear wasn't all that much (even though it was enough to catch your eye) you might want to shorten up the interval to see how that changes things.

If the rear alignment is out of spec, even slightly, and is adjustable, I don't know why he wouldn't adjust it to bring it within specs.
  • fithopefulfithopeful Member Posts: 7
    I had actually brought it in closer to 6,000 miles but my mechanic noticed the uneven wear so he advised not rotating the tires until the dealer checked it out. I drive so much each week (about 120 miles per day) that I got up towards 7,000 before I could get into the dealer. He said the rear was not really adjustable and that Honda offered no guidance on what to do with the slight misalignment there. All seems a bit strange to me!

My mechanic suggested we just rotate them and see how things go from there. Of course I can't get in to him again for another two weeks so this is really going to throw off the rotation schedule.
    Note to owners who may have bought a winter tire and wheel package with wheels that don't have TPMS sensors: Pulling 7.5Amp fuse #18 (TPMS, per the owner's manual and fuse index on the back of the coinbox access door) WILL NOT disable the TPMS warning light on the dash. Yesterday I installed a set of 14" steel wheels with winter tires from TireRack.com on one of my 08 Fit Sports - I knew the wheels did not have TPMS sensors and the light would come on. I thought pulling the fuse would disable the warning light. This mornign my wife drove her car to work and said after about 3 miles of driving the TPMS light came on, despite no fuse (maybe the light comes on also to warn you of no fuse or a blown fuse).

If anybody else out there has been in this situation, please post and advise how you handled it. Plan B is cutting a little round piece of black plastic electrical tape and sticking it to the instrument cluster cover over the TPMS light. Yes, I know, this is not what the system/car was designed for, but millions have cars have gone down the road before without a TPMS systems and I check the tire pressures once a month on all 5 of my Hondas (including 3 2008 Fit Sports), so I'm not concerned about monitoring my tire pressure.
    I have a 2009 Fit Sport an have the Dunlop SP7000 A/S tires on the car. I know that Honda also supplies the Bridgestone Turanza EL470 on the Fit so which tire is on your Fit? There could be a difference in the way each tire wears. The Dunlop are listed as high performance and the Bridgestone are a touring tire. I only have 2000 miles and can't see much wear yet. I find the Dunlop tires to be very firm and are very noise on many road surfaces. I have driven a new Fit with the Bridgestone tires and find them much better for noise and comfort. I will keep an eye on the rears to see if I have the same problem.
  • GvilleFitGuyGvilleFitGuy Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2009 Fit Sport for almost a month now - I have the Bridgestone Turanza EL470's, 185/55R16. I find the tires to be very quiet and handle extremely well. What worries me is the treadwear rating of 300. The tires don't have a treadwear warranty, so I'm worried these puppies are going to not last very long. Anyone have any treadwear problems on their OEM Bridgestones?? I'll post back to this forum periodically with my own findings - I only have 1,000 miles on the car.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Since most stock OEM tires are garbage I suggest replacing them with something in a more common size. 185 55 16 is an odd ball tire size that will offer limited choices. Tirerack shows only 2 choices. Honda probably figures that most people will get frustrated and go back to their dealers for tire replacement at inflated prices.

I suggest changing the OEM's out with either 195 60 16 or 195 50 16. The 60 series tire will offer a softer ride with good handling and traction while the 50 series, though V and Z rated, offers a similar ride as the OEM's but more affordable tires and brand choices.
  • GvilleFitGuyGvilleFitGuy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply - that really makes me angry that Honda has put OEM tires on a mass market vehicle with very limited replacement choices! We'll see how long they last...
  • odelay770odelay770 Member Posts: 1
    I am so frustrated with the tires on my 2009 Honda Fit. As we speak, I am on the phone with Honda, waiting to ask if there is a known problem with the Dunlop tires. I hit a pothole and got a bubble on the right front tire; on the way to the dealership to get a new one (one had to be ordered from Nevada and sent to NJ where I am, as they say that Dunlop didn't make enough and they are scarce) I got another on the left front tire which resulted in me having to buy two new tires. I don't drive crazy or speedy and I drive the way most people do. I bought the new tires on Saturday 1/31, and on my way home from a town about 30 mins away from my house the tire pressure light comes on. When I get home I can hear the air from my tire hissing away. I had the donut put on and am doomed to order yet another tire from my dealer. Has anyone else had these dangerous problems with the Dunlops?
  • gatortom1gatortom1 Member Posts: 25
    You are correct that the 44 psi is the maximum recommended inflation by the tire manufacturer. The exploding point, however, should be at least twice that--not that I would want to test it. (I know this from bike tires where just sunshine on a hot day can vastly increase the pressure in the small tires. They are rated at twice the listed maximum before failure.) Still, the 32 psi is recommended as the best balance for performance. Higher may center the tire wear and slightly lower rolling resistance but could compromize breaking. Lower might be a little more comfy but increases heat buildup and tire wear.
  • gatortom1gatortom1 Member Posts: 25
    With most tires such a problem would be covered under the tire warranty. If it isn't I'm distressed.! My girlfriend backed into a rock causing a cut in a tire barely four months old. It was her fault but is still being covered by warranty.

Are these Dunlops supplied by Honda not warrantied? That is a major fault since there aren't a lot of althernative choices out there in the new strange size.
  • gregfitgregfit Member Posts: 2
    We have had the exact same experience, except that our 2009 Fit's tires were manufactured by Bridgestone. We have had two tires replaced in the past few weeks with bubbles. The tire store swore up and down the bubbles were caused by me hitting "pot holes", not a defect in the tires. I have owned my new Fit for a little over a month and, at this rate, I'm going to be buying a new tire every few weeks.

I do not buy the story I have been given about "pot holes" causing the damage. I have been driving since 1973 and I have never, ever had this sort of problem before.
  • louielou74louielou74 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forums and a avid honda guy, i own 2 hondas a '02 Civc SI and a '09 Fit Sport. Well brought the Fit Sport home about 2 months ago and whilst sitting in front of my house overnight, all 4 RIMS and TIRES were taken. The car was left on MILK CRATES!!!!! :mad:

So over $4K in damages the car is back and good as new. I now have 4 WHEEL LOCKS on each tire so it will slow them down just a bit should it happen again.

Just wanted to alert everyone to this problem with the Fit Sport rims. The dealer also said they have seen it with the new Accords as well.

Take care and stay safe.
  • wjbalikowjbaliko Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2009 Fit Sport with Bridgestone Turanza EL470 tires.
    Are these "All weather" tires or summer tires?
    They handle well and are quiet so far. I don't have much milage on them yet.

Thanks, Walt
  • taffetafittaffetafit Member Posts: 1
    Interesting that so many of us have had tire problems on our Honda Fits. I, too, experienced a blow-out when I was slowly driving over a traffic bump before extering a Costco Gas Station. The car had only 11K miles on it and I was told that I had to replace both rear tires. As everyone has already realized, there aren't many places that carry the 185/55R 16 83 sized tires that come on the car. (I had the Dunlap)
    I did not get any credit from Dunlap and now my daughter who also has a Fit Sport is considering replacing her Alloy wheels with Steel wheels and replacing the 16" with a 15" tire. I was trying to research information whether that is a smart idea or not. When I called the dealer's service technician, he did not recommend it because she was concerned with the road noise. He said the steel wheels and different-sized tires wouldn't make a difference. Any of you have a comment?
  • xcentrickxcentrick Member Posts: 16
    I can give you the benefit my experience with Dunlops on my '07 Sport. I ran them for 67K miles. Still had about equivalent of 15K miles on them. Had them rotated and balanced every 5K miles. Yes, they were noisy but I thought they handled well. 95% of my driving (30K miles/year) is top speed freeway in So. Cal.

I replaced them with Generals (recommended by Tire Rack). They are quieter, get the same MPG (33 MPG) and handle stops and hard cornering very well.
  • littleblushulittleblushu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Fit Sport. I did replace my front tires and it helped some with noise and vibration, but now I am getting so much noise I can hear it over the radio. The vibration is so bad at 60 mph that I feel like I'm driving an old clunker. ( I know all about them as I've driven quite a few) Actually i dont think I have driven anything that has this much vibration or noise!! I have 43,000 miles on it, and I guess I'm going to have to get a new set of tires, :cry: but the tread seems to be good. I like my car, but if i'm going to be paying these big payments, i would at least like to enjoy the ride!! Any suggestions on a good riding tire. And what about getting away from the low profile tires that came on it. I think this is probably part of the noise and ride problem. Thanks for the advice. littlebulshu
  • xcentrickxcentrick Member Posts: 16
    First of all you gave us some but not enough information on this problem. You mentioned replacing your tires at <43K miles. This in itself tells me you must have one or all the following issues: misalignment, out of balance, improper inflation, possible failure to rotate & balance every 5K miles or possible hard driving habits i.e. tailgating, hard stops, hard cornering. Does it pull to the left or right. In short your tires should have lasted 60K miles if they were the ones that came on the new vehicle and none of the issues mentioned above existed.

If you bought this vehicle used, you need to check and find out if it ever had major frontal damage. Carfax is one resource for this. Possible frame damage.You mentioned vibration. This car should have no vibration. Get a referral for a competent shop specializing in alignments and front ends and have them help you.It may cost some but you'll continue to have problems until you find the answers to the issues I noted earlier.

One of the characteristics of new tires is often they sound and handle differently than the set you just replaced. So expect that. Did you check the earlier buyers opinions out on TireRack.Com before buying yours? If not do so now, it will provide some insight on the characteristics of your new tires.

The FIT is a noisy car at best because it is a compact and has very little sound deadening materials if any under the the carpeting. Also, it is not undercoated (at least my 07 Sport isn't) so you hear every sound. But my tires lasted 68K miles and the car does not vibrate at all.

Hope this info helps you in assessing the problem.
    rr
  • jugtownjugtown Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a problem with my 2009 honda fit with all four tires. All four constantly need air about once a week 8 to 10 pounds short.About two days ago I notice a bubble on the front passenger side. They are bridgestones
  • gregfitgregfit Member Posts: 2
    I have had EXACTLY the same experience. I have a 2009 Honda Fit with Bridgestone tires. My tires mysteriously lose pressure, too. I have been unable to establish any rational reason for the pressure loss (i.e., weather/temperature changes, changes in the vehicle's weight load, etc.) I have taken my Fit to a reputable tire shop, but they could not find any leak in any of the four tires. And I also have had a couple of strange "bubbles" form on my tires, too. My Honda Fit has been a wonderful car -- the only negative has been the factory-supplied Bridgestone tires. I keep watching for a recall notice.
  • shammaishammai Member Posts: 2
    The mediocre Dunlop OEM tires that came with our 2009 Honda FIT Sport are useless in a little snow. We are located in the greater NYC area, not minnesota, so it's not horrible and we are looking new all season performance tires. Based on CR's recommendations and supported by positive comments on discussion boards, we are looking at the Michelin Primacy MXV4. However, the current tires are 185/55/R16's and the new tire only seems to exist as a 185/65/R15. Is this a significant difference?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Only if you consider having to purchase a new set of wheels significant!

Go to www.tirerack.com and compare actual tire dimensions.
  • shammaishammai Member Posts: 2
    Fair Point... But if I grin and bear it, will there be enough unobstructed space available? I went to tirerack as you suggested and the difference is less than 2%, which looks OK but I do not know enough to judge. For example, is there a different suspension, bolt pattern or other impediment which could interfere with the slightly larger tire and become a danger?
  • harrys1harrys1 Member Posts: 12
    Before you disable your TPMS, or fail to put wheels on fitted with TPMS sensors, you might want to consult with your insurance company. Mine told me that should I be unlucky enough to have an accident where low tire pressure or a blown tire was implicated, that I would have culpability and my insurance coverage would be in question. They said that the insurance I was paying for was predicated on all the safety devices being kept operable. It wasn't worth taking the risk for the around $300 for 4 sensors and an Ateq Quickset, so I can reprogram the computer for the sensor changes. The Quickset will work for any Asian car I might buy in the future as well. So now I have peace of mind and no TPMS lamp to worry about.
  • mslklrmslklr Member Posts: 1
    I don't think you are going to have any problem if you. bought the HFP wheels
    I suggest ditching that odd ball Honda supplied tire and changing to either a 195 55 15 or a 185 60 15 which are both common sizes and MUCH CHEAPER to buy than the stock tires. Both tires should fit the Fit, but check with a local tire shop to make sure. The stock tire supplied by Honda is hard to find purposely: Honda wants you back to the dealer to buy the expensive replacements. Tirerack lists 22 tires in the 195 size and 26 in the185 size.
  • thurst1963thurst1963 Member Posts: 42
    So I have a 2008 Fit Sport came with 195/55-15 very very hard to find can I run 205-50-15 on this car with the sport rims thanks Thurst
    They may fit the rims okay but may not have enough clearance without rubbing. I would take it to a reputable tire shop and ask them to check to see if there's enough room in the wheel well for those 205's.
  • rte2commuterrte2commuter Member Posts: 9
    I'm thinking of buying a Fit Sport this week so I've been researching the winter tire question. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like I should invest in a second set of 15" wheels for good winter tires. I'm planning to let my local Tire Warehouse do the tires changes so I'm wondering if I should pop for another set of 4 tire pressure sensors for ($144 at Tire Rack) or if I should ask Tire Warehouse to move the sensors on the OEM 16" wheels to the 15" winter wheel/mounts. Is it easy to move these sensors back and forth or am I asking for trouble if I don't get a second set installed by Tire Rack? Also, Tire Rack wants to sell me a TPM Reset Tool ($135) along with the sensors. Do I need the reset tool if I'm letting a shop do the changes? If I buy wheels + tires + sensors + reset tool from Tire Rack it all adds up to ... OMG ... $990 (with shipping). :(
    I live in Western New York and use my Fit Sport with the factory tires all winter long, never have any trouble getting around. I use 2nd with the Auto to pull away from a bad
    street condition and caution when breaking. You may want to try driving the Fit and see for your self how it handles before spending $990. Great B class!
  • 1g2b1g2b Member Posts: 3
    Hi Fit freaks, This is my first post and I'm trying to revive this old thread. I bought a 09 Fit Sport back in fall 2008 also. And I just discovered I have the same issue as fithopeful.
    I just took the car in to the dealer for it's second scheduled service interval at 14,200 miles. Tire rotations were done both times, first at 7,000 mi. The tread depth measurements both times show that the front tires wear 2/32 per 7,000 mi. while the back tires are wearing 4/32 over the same distance. Had they not been rotated the REAR tires would be worn to replacement (2/32) at 14K mi. I am a very moderate driver, usually trying to coax good gas milage from the car and average 36-37 with a high of 43.
    I took the car back to the dealer who put the car on the alignment rack and found left rear toe-in to be 3.5mm; outside the 0 to 2.5mm spec. The tires are feathered on the outsides. Despite these conditions the handling is fine and the car tracks straight with no vibration or other indication of a problem so this all was surprising.
    The rub is that the rear suspension is not adjustable. The dealer offered to pay for an aftermarket shim kit to bring it into spec if I paid $150 for installation. I called American Honda Customer Service who took down my story and assigned a case number. A rep called back and said Honda could not endorse aftermarket fixes and had no recommendation. He said there was no way to prove when this mis-alignment took place. I said the service records and no recollection of road damage strongly indicate it was delivered out of spec. He ask for a week to fully investigate and talk to the dealer before a final determination... the tone was generally "forget any help here"... and that's were it lies now.
    I really hate the thought of replacing an otherwise fine little vehicle (with many non recoverable accessories) or get involved in a legal battle, but after 20 years of loyal and happy Honda ownership I am Pissed. So, anybody else out there with abnormal tire wear on the rear? Stand up and be counted!
    I will be watching for replies.... Thanks.
  • pippa22pippa22 Member Posts: 1
    Fithopeful,

Yes, I have uneven tire wear. My husband and I have a 2008 fit with nearly 30k on it. I'm nearly certain we've had the tires rotated at each oil change, unless the place didn't actually do it....

I had MAJOR issues this winter in the snow, but thought it was really just how the car handled (we moved to a much snowier region and this was the first time I had had it in "real" snow).

Silly me didn't really think too much about needing new tiers. I thought I probably could use some "snow tires", but these are not in the budget. Nobody had mentioned uneven wear or LOTS of wear when we had taken it in for tire rotations/oil changes, and my husband and I not being "car people" didn't take a close look.

Well, if you stand to the side of the car and look, it looks like there is still some tread. But when you really look over the "center" of the tires, some of the tires are nearly bald except for the 2 big grooves that run around the entire tire! They are not all the same.

I have also noticed recently that my car is pulling right, so I definitely do have an issue, but it hasn't always been that way and these tires had to have been bad for quite a while.

My dad (not a car person, but definitely more so than me!) was perplexed about the very uneven wear.

So...what to do? I am planning on taking it into a dealer for the 30k check up and was on here researching tires, sinc I obviously need new ones. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the issue....
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Pippa22,

First, you need to get an alignment. It's obvious from your description that the alignment has been off the entire life of the vehicle.

But do NOT go to the dealer for this. Find a shop that specializes in alignments - the 4 wheel kind. If they don't recommend 4 wheel alignment, find another shop. It might be expensive, but it will fix all the problems except for one: the tires themselves.

They be trash! Get new ones. Doesn't matter which you do first, although many tire shops also do alignments.