Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Hyundai Azera Owners Experiences

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Huh, oh...damn, was I dreaming out loud again!?!? LOL

Isn't the new '08 nav. system supposed to be Bluetooth compatible???

The next generation of factory radios will have USB, SD card slots and iPod connectivity to cover all bases. One way Chrysler & GM is combatting that is to provide you a system with a hard drive with at least 30 gb available. What you need an iPod for with that kinda space available to you???
  • harrytddharrytdd Member Posts: 29
    What about the clearance of the passenger side windshield wiper from the hood :cry: on the '08?
    In my mind, it's a minor issue, but...something that does need to be addressed. I'm used to mine being as such. I lift upward before pulling outward and I never have an issue with it hitting the hood.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 483
    And they tell be I'm obsessive
    We forum members should band together, design the perfect car, submit it to Hyundai, and let them build and sell it for under 30K.
    LOL Right!!!
    Touche!
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    Good idea with this forum's members. Checking out the other forums, they'd problem come up with a Plymouth Cricket.
  • garym1jgarym1j Member Posts: 46
    Bought a 2007 Hyundai Azera Limited with Ultimate package on August 22. The car now has 1600 miles and it appears to be perfect in every way except one. The suspension doesn't seem to dampened minor road imperfections the way I think it should, e.g., I hear a little bum, bum like sound when the wheels hit a crack in the road. I guess I should have picked this up on the test drive but didn't notice it. I got to say that on smooth roads without cracks, it is the most quiet car I've driven and I am 70
    years old. Also, I note from reading various forum pages that I might have paid too much. I was out the door with taxes and everything for just under #30K. I submitted the car and extras to the USAA car buying service and they returned with a suggested price of $29,135. That is what I offered the dealership and, with various adjustments and not much hesitation they agreed. The bottom line was $29,935. I do not think I was especially well served by the USAA figure but I elected to used it. This afternoon I am installing chrome wheels from Oemrims, Inc., Anaheim, CA. The chrome wheels are identical to what came with the car, cost $525, plus $210 shipping to FL, and a $400 deposit until I return my original rims in the same box with prepaid postage to the Oemrims Company. Pretty wild adventure for a 70 year old but I will be the coolest old dude in the retirement center. Bring it on. :D
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    As a near 60 year old, I think you will love your Azera, but yes, that USAA pricing ripped you for about $3,000 over what many are paying. (I paid about $26,500 last Nov. for my Limited -no XM). I think the chrome rims would look great for you.
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re. 488: I have no comment on the purchase price as I leased my '07 October '06.

I did though replace the original factory wheels with the same in chrome. As a cost comparison mine were:
    $525.00 (exchange)
    32.00 (wheel balance)
    12.00 (nitrogen fill)
    38.06 (sales tax)
    total:$607.06

Lucky me, as the tire dealer I ordered them from is about 3 miles from my home and were swapped out in 2-days.

Looks sharp too. (photos on My CarSpace)

Enjoy you new Azera.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    "I submitted the car and extras to the USAA car buying service and they returned with a suggested price of $29,135. That is what I offered the dealership and, with various adjustments and not much hesitation they agreed. The bottom line was $29,935. I do not think I was especially well served by the USAA figure..."

Been there, done that! Well, not USAA, I'm retired enlisted, but I went with the $35-for-a-month car buying data from Consumer Reports. I took CU's data to the Hyundai dealer who gave me a price hundreds less than CU's "try for" price for my 2006 Limited with Premium pkg!

Since then I've read that nearly everyone else got a better out-the-door price than I did. :cry:

So, thank you for making me feel a bit better... ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats on your new Azera!!

Please don't worry about what you paid versus what anyone else paid. For one thing, the market is local and varies with supply and demand. Unless you live in the same area as another purchaser who bought the same Azera (color, options, everything) and at the same time you did, it's not a straight-up comparison.

But the most important reason not to worry about it is that the purchase is behind you, you have your car, you are having fun installing new wheels so now the ONLY thing you need to have on your mind is ENJOYING your new ride! :shades:
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Don't think that you have a 'lock' on spending more than you should have.
    The more or less local Garden Grove dealer got to me bigtime! :blush:

I've got at least a year on you and did exactly the same. Don't feel like the lone haranger.

As stated above . . forget what you paid and enjoy your fine automobile. I know that we are doing so with ours.
    Two and one half months old and already 4,500 trouble free smiles!

:)
    Thanks for the feedback. The chrome wheels look great. Case closed. We will enjoy our new car.
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    As a very long time USAA member, I have contacted their buying service a few times. It was always more than the dealer had already offered, before hard negotiations began.
    In the future, get the Consumer Reports New Car Buying Guide on their website. It's great and their bottom line is close to accurate as to what dealer really paid.
    I got a 2007 Limited with Ultimate package for $27,700 out the door. That was back in April from a dealer just getting started with Hyundai and with a rebate.
    Also, S.C. has a $300 cap on vehicle taxes. You can buy a $2 million plane, a Rolls Royce, or a $5,00 used car and everybody pays $300 sales tax.
    Its still a great car, but you may need new shocks-see other topics in Azera forum. Mine are on order. :)
  • dfwfrankdfwfrank Member Posts: 25
    Hello Azera owners.

New to forum. Have had the car for 4 weeks, just under 1000 miles. Mostly the wife gets to drive it. Had been Toyota owners for the last 18 years, the last 6 in Avalons. We just weren't to excited about the new Avalon style both exterior and interior. Test drove the Azera 3 times, 3 different dealers, test drove 07 Avalon and just did not get excited. Felt that the Azera was equal if not better than Avalon, and for the money a much better deal. I will post that on the Azera vs Avalon.

Had not seen this posted yet(sorry if it was posted in the early days, to lazy to look at every post) so thought I would add our new experience. Went to fill up the tank when the light would just come on to figure how much was left in the tank, long story short, put in 21.5 gals. Thought something wrong with the pump, but figured would try again next time different station. Did some research and found this link, http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07235/811490-94.stm. Looks like the Azera has a 22.5 gal tank, not 19.8.

We will continue to enjoy.
    Can't figure why so many do not list their locations, but in your case, your dfwfrank simply says it all! ;)

As you've already discovered, it take some extra time to get that last there gallons in, at least on mine.

Filled ours with 22.282 gallons at Costco just last Saturday, and the light had been on for too many miles and I was afraid it would quit anytime. Filled it again there Wednesday with 19.818 gallons before the light came on. It got its' best tank mileage figured the old fashioned way, 27.551 mpg. Computer said 28.1, so the old fashioned way is not really that far off!
    To be really accurate, you must add approximately two percent (2%) to your odometer readings.
    That's how far off our odometer is. Speedometer however is spot on correct.

Our car now has only 4,500 miles on the odometer.

I am hopeful that when we get the engine finally broken in, say with perhaps
    another 15 to 20K miles, the fuel economy will improve slightly.

Thanks for your comments. Have learned thee things:

1. Buy future new cars in S.C. FL Tax bill on my car was over $1700. To take advantage of this tax break would one have to show proof of S.C. residency? Suspect so.

2. Use more than one buying service. I am a member of Consumer Reports and used the web extensively to research and compare new cars but didn't pay enough attention to their recommended bottom line price. Should have.

3. Dealerships have a home court advantage and the customer is pretty much set up when walking in the door.
    Buying cars only every ten years does not provide enough practice to effectively deal with the pros who do it everyday. (My excuse for being not so astute in car buying)

Question: Why would a new car need new shocks? You mean they come bad out of the factory? Say it ain't so SCBob.

Learning everyday albeit a bit late. Thanks for you input.
    Hey Gary ... follow the thread on front end problems. Even for a recent buyer your Azera may fall within the build dates affected. Hope it ain't so. :cry:
    "Question: Why would a new car need new shocks? You mean they come bad out of the factory?
    Say it ain't so SCBob.
    "

Bob will, and so will I. ;)

Yes, in many cases there are new Azeras that are being sold with bad shocks.

Some of us here are more or less 'certified car nuts' and as such,
    are rather particular about how our rides handle and ride, etc.

You have the same problem with your new Hyundai that those of us that are complaining have; You just
    don't realize it or care enough about what it's doing. That's the only real difference in all of us.

The above statement by me is not to be taken as me being critical of you. I am simply trying to point
    out why some of us are not satisfied with the manner in which our Azeras are riding and handling.

Do you have any roads back yonder where there are undulating surfaces and when you try to drive over these
    uneven surfaces at speed, doesn't your car bottom out at the extreme lower limits of its suspension travel?
    When you pass through a dip, don't you feel your front end go up and down or cycle more than once?
    This action is supposed to be more controlled than it is, and that action is not being handled properly.

Others please help me out here. ;)

"Even for a recent buyer your Azera may fall within the build dates affected. Hope it ain't so. :cry: "

Speaking of which, what's the build date of your Azera?
    ("The 'build date' is on a metal tag located on the "B" pillar. Open driver's door, get way down,
    find the tag near the bottom of the pillar that supports the rear door hinges..." )

Build dates for affected vehicles: December 05, 2005 through February 26, 2007.

Really appreciate your comments and help.

My Azera build date is April, 17, 2007, i.e. later than build date of "affected vehicles".

Actions planned. I will:

1. Get better educated by rereading the treads on suspension problems.

2. Find a rough road and really test the feel regarding bounce and feel. I get no bouce by simply pushing down hard on front/rear fenders.

3. At first service, asked my service manager to ride with me (he has a rough road outside the dealership) and get his evaluation. I have two service managers at different dealerships equal distance (about 20 miles) and may compare evaluations. Hope not to get paranoid here but if there is a problem, will get it fixed.

Thanks to all for help.
    1. I communicated with Lexus dealers in Atlanta when I was looking and they all said the sales tax would be charged in the state where I registered the car.

2. The New Car Buying Guide is only on the website and must be purchased separately for about $30, but you get 24/7 use of it for 90 days to look at any number of cars in any configuration.

3. I test drove 3-4 Azeras for as long as 30-40 minutes each and did not notice the problem. However, it appears that in order to make a smoother high speed ride, Hyuundai changed the shocks. This created a situation where the car rolls or bounces over bumps, especially at low speeds. They are replacing the "new" shocks with the previous version if the owner complains. There is a TSB on it. Look at this site and Hyundai-Forums for discussions on front end and supsension problems.

It is still a great car, just not perfect yet. It does ride better than either the Acura TL or the Infinit G35 that I test drove. :)
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    Drivers seat seemed hot last night and again this morning. Is it possible there is something wrong and the seat turned itself on? I thought once it was over 70 degrees(it is) the seat could not go on.
    The seat can go "on" whenever you want it to. Well, at least that is how it is with my '06 Azera. There are two dials down by the shifter that go from 0 - 5. Not sure if the '07's & 08's have the same set up. If so, then you can control the heated seat feature regardless of the outside temps.

I actually have to take mine in because the heating feature in the driver's seat isn't working properly. I can set it on 5 and barely feel it. However, on the passenger's side...5 gets noticeably warm. Could just be a short or a loose connection as they had to go under the driver's seat when fixing my problem with the airbag sensor light.

Other than that, I LOVE the heated seat feature...especially after playing in a football tournament or leaving a home improvement job site. By the time I get home, I don't want to get out of the car because I'm so relaxed and comfortable!!! ;)
    The problem is mine goes on when set OFF or "0". Took it in today and they could find anything but are going to replace the switch anyway.
    I guess that would be the best solution as it would seem it's a VERY defective switch. Hope everything is taken care of when you get it back!
  • doveman7doveman7 Member Posts: 10
    After being a loyal Toyota owner since 1975, I couldn't resist the deal on the Azera. After six weeks of ownership, 1500 miles, and numerous trips to this board, I am learning to deal with the somewhat harsh ride (compared to 2000 Avalon) and am wondering about the "jitters" my car has when I first start it in the morning and sometimes while idling at a light. Am I being too sensitive or is this something that can be fixed? The dealer says they don't notice anything. Also, dumb move has me looking for right back seat floor mat in gray--anyone have an extra? ;)
    I've had my Azera for over 1.5 years now and I haven't experienced the problems you've mentioned. I would take the car to a 2nd Hyundai service department and have them take a look at it to get a 2nd opinion.

If you don't feel your problems are taken care of in a satisfactory manner, contact Hyundai Corp. and lodge a complaint to get things on record.

Question, is it possible you could have some moisture in your fuel line??? One thing I put in my gas tank with every oil change is a bottle of Berryman's Chem-Tool (found at Wal-Mart). It's a great product for keeping your fuel system totally clean. Another question I would ask, what grade of gas are you using? If it's 87 octane, try a tank of 89 octane to see if it helps the problem any as well.

Just a couple suggestions that might help you out.

As far as the ride goes, check the air pressure in your tires for starters. A lot of folks have said keeping it in the mid-30's offers the best ride/comfort combo. I keep mine at 35 psi and mine rides good. Also, check the build date of your car and see if it qualifies for the front strut replacement TSB. It could very well be Hyundai used an average quality strut, maybe better struts would be the answer.

For your floot mat issue, look on Ebay for some. You might as well buy a whole set and then you have some extra ones in case the others get messed up as well. Just a thought.
    Camissa in Burlingame checked and could not find anything wrong but they replaced the switch anyway assuming it was an intermittant problem. audi would have never done this.So far the Hyundai service department, and this service manager in particular, are far better than Audi.They seem to go out of their way to make you happy.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Several years ago, the Camissa service manager helped me out with some problems I had while restoring my Alfa Romeo. If the same service manager is still there, you've got a real keeper!
  • doveman7doveman7 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for your suggestions, allmet. I may try the higher octane, though I hate the thought. Never heard of Berryman's, will have to check that out. Unfortunately, 2nd Hyundai dealer is pretty much out of the question as we only have one locally. Dealer wants me to leave car overnight so guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do that, though it is a pain.
    No problem...just run 1 tank through and see if it helps out. My father turned me on to the Berryman's product. I've been using it now for almost 10 years now and it has kept all three cars running smoooooooothly!

Sorry to hear about the other dealer being out the way. It really helps when you can get a 2nd opinion on an issue.

Good luck and I hope there's a resolution that works for you.
    Which Berryman Chem-Tool product are you using? TIA
    The one I get comes in a metal can with a screw top, the Chem-tool B-12. It's the fuel system treatment. It costs like $2.60 in Wal-Mart. Normally, what I do is get to the gas station and pour it in the tank (using a long spout funnel), then fill up so it'll mix real good.

Here's a pic of it...image

B-12 CHEMTOOL® CARBURETOR CLEANER / POUR INCleans petroleum residue and disperses moisture from fuel system, fuel injector, valves, rings, pistons, oil returns, lifters, PCV valve, and oil pump screen with High Energy Solvent Technology (H.E.S.T.). Regular use ensures higher compression, fewer repairs, lower operation costs and increased spark plug and injector life.
    I'd thought you were using this....good for 3000 miles or between oil changes

B-12 CHEMTOOL® TOTAL FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN-UP (T.F.S.C.)
    Formulated with High Energy Solvent Technology (H.E.S.T.) and state of the art detergents to maximize an accelerate cleaning of intake valves, fuel injectors, and combustion chamber. T.F.S.C. attacks carbon deposits in the entire fuel system to help restore peak performance. Improves starting, driveability, and gas mileage.
    One application is good for 3000 miles.
    Part #2616 Net 15 fl. oz. Aluminum Bottle
    Nah...but they basically do the same thing. I use the B-12 between oil changes and trust me...never had a problem.
  • prt4prt4 Member Posts: 9
    did anyone have the turn-down feature for there mirrors
    on the azera.
    i was told it was not available
    i have an az with the u package
    prt675
    RE: 517
    The "tilt in reverse" side view mirrors were never installed on the US production models, although when I purchased my car, in 05, I was informed that the feature was on the car. My owner's manual even tell how to use them. When I called Hyundai US, they sent me a new owner's manual eliminating mention of the feature.
    Some great fix!
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Tilt down mirrors were on the XG series, had them and while they are nice, I would trade them in a heartbeat for the fold side mirrors on the Azera.
    RE: 519
    The XG also had 2 key remotes, that when used to open the doors selected the memory preset features for seats, mirrors etc. of the user.
    Why they elimininated these nice functions is still a great question.
    It seems as if they took a step backward, by eliminating these features that they had in their bag.
  • prt4prt4 Member Posts: 9
    the 07 manual has the "tilt in reverse" also.
    service tried for about 4 hours but it would not work.
    told come back tommorrow will check with hyundia
    was told N.A. on your car.
    RE: 521
    They probably will also offer you a new owner's manual.
    They still haven't been able to incorporate "Power Pedals" into memory system.
    Very slow in response to consumer requests and comments.
  • mjclements48mjclements48 Member Posts: 16
    doveman7,

Are you driving a Limited Azera? I have had my '07 Limited since Feb. and have had it back to the dealership at least 7 times for the same "jitters" or shimmy as I call it. It always occurs after the car has been sitting. Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Or does it exhibit itself in the driver seat, floor, and other areas? Mine is the later. You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t18869-st-20-steering-wheel-vibration.htm
    It discusses this problem with "Flat Spotting". At the recommendation of one of the more knowledgeable forum members, I raised my tire pressure up to 37 psi. I've been driving for the last two days and have noticed a significant reduction in cold starting shimmy.

Do you have the 17 inch Michelins? From my reading, these tires seem to be a common piece on all the Azeras that have a shimmy problem. Hyundai is not doing anything IMO... it is most frustrating! Ironically, Hyundai has the recommended psi at 30 (to ensure a soft floaty ride). Michelin recommends up to 44psi in these tires.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Azera, the value can't be beat. BUT this shimmy is bad...very bad. Driving the car with 37 psi does reduce the shimmy problem, but you lose ride quality - especially on concrete pavement - it can be very jarring!
    RE: 523
    Michelin does not recommend tire pressure for cars.
    The 44 psi number is the maximum tire pressure to be used in that particular tire.
    I have a 2007 Limited with 17" Michelin tires. Keep them at 32 PSI cold. No shimmy or other problems such as that with the tires. No problems with jitters or shimmy when starting in the cold. Parked the car outside two nights with temps in the low 30's. Just completed my third 600 mile road trip in it and it did fine, except for the "Buick" wallow. Hopefully, new shocks will help that when they come in.
  • commander5commander5 Member Posts: 6
    I picked up a dealer demo Azera power white limited with the ultimate package the car had 6k on it and I paid 22k plus tax. Overall I am happy with the car but would not consider it the "best car I ever owned" due to a few strange omissions. The memory does not work with the remote which is the only car I ever owned set up this way. Plus the memory button on the door will not work till the key is turned on although the seat and power steering wheel both have juice with the key off; seems as if it could have had the memory function live all the time. Second even though the car had rain sensing wipers the headlights don't go on when they are activated. Considering most east coast states require lights on in the rain this again is a strange omission. Not sure if the dealer can re-program the computer to correct these things or not. The heated seats are only for the seat cushion not the back plus the seat could be padded better with more adjustments, same for the passenger seat. Last the ride is fine on a smooth road but does not do well on rough roads. I really do think the Azera is a good car and with a few little changes could be a much better one. If anyone knows how to improve the memory function please let me know
  • msazzyindcmsazzyindc Member Posts: 118
    Let me first say that you got taken for your car. 6k and paid $22k umph! Secondly my heated seats heat the cushion and the back. My light come on when I drive into a dark area or they can stay on, it's how you adjust your headlights. READ THE BOOK!

I don't know about your memory issues, as I opted out on the extreme bells and whistles.

MsAzzy
    Re: # 526

Can't help you with any of your comments save the one about your ride quality.

What is the build date of your Power White Pearl? :confuse:
    Reason for asking . . . You evidently do not know about the TSB on the shocks, I trust?

Love that color. Wish I had held out for it instead of picking another color off the lot!

Your profile is lacking. No location? No way to contact you directly.

You may contact me directly if you like . .

You know, headlights coming on when wipers are activated SHOULD be a standard feature on ALL vehicles. Currently, I don't know of any that have that combination. I guess it would only be an issue for vehicles that don't have daytime running lights. Personally, it makes sense because too many folks will turn their wipers on and not turn the headlights on.

As much as you don't want to say it's the best car you've every owned, it's hard to say it's not one of the best cars for under $30K. Even with the memory function not working with the remote. It's not an issue for me as I have the Limited w/Premium package. Being the main person that drives the car mostly (97%), I think I can deal with adjusting everything the other 3% of the time.

You may want to have your heated seats looked at, the ones on my Azera heat both the cushion and seat back as well.
  • commander5commander5 Member Posts: 6
    Gee someone got out of the wrong side of the bed! I "did read the book" and there is no adjustment for the headlights with the wipers, that is why I posted the question. Second from what I read on other posts owners paid anywhere from 25-27k for the same model so I can deal with the 6k on the car. But then again if I bought one "without the bells and whistles" it would have been much cheaper. Last most other makes with heated seats control the back a cushion independently the Hyundai system will travel partly up the back but as stated there is no separate control for the back and seat. Hey thanks for your help!