Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    1. 6'2" no problems, comfortable for me, first suv I've had where I "don't" have to move the seat forward when someone sitting behind me.. even when that someone is over 6 foot as well.

2. I'm on the lower end, 15 to 19 depending on where... low speed helps, best at 60 ( overall same mpg as other suv's I've owned )

3. dido silverglider... dealt with xterrastore, great service and delivery.. even to Canada

4. dido.. it can get messy

5. Mudflaps always help.. goes for any truck ( big tire = more muck )

6. Do they still offer 4cyl ? I'd go for the 6 for the extra spunk.

Good Luck
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    My X is 4 months old and I have YET to use the 4wd..am getting an off the road beach sticker and need some help:

I am so darn lazy so can someone tell me the way t do this..I drive 25 or less and shift down? Let air out of course..thanks.

Oh BTW, I got 340 miles on a tank this past fill up..

YAHH

Annie
    Nooo, come to a complete stop with the X, reach over to the far left, passenger area, you'll see a little lever, pull that lever.. within this hidden spot is the secret code book to the use of the X.. go get your beverage of your choice, and waste 5 minutes. Or I guess you cn flip the sunvisor and read it there.
    Just having fun, for the first time, be at a complete stop and pull the arm back.. but still read the owners manual.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Sombody mentioned earlier that the transmission should be in PARK when shifting from 4h to 4Low. Uhhhh...it can bve done either way, but NEUTRAL is much easier on your trans. I've owned 4x4's my entire life and in all of them you put the trans in N and then shift in 4 low. Park will work, but try it a few times and let me know how your trans is doing. And saying that Nissan recommends putting it in Park is total b.s. Basically, you had a buddy tell you this, but I know Nissan didn't tell you this. The owners manuall and all the other 4x4's with the same system as the X are wrong, but the dork at 1-800-Nissan1 is right? Sure....
    I had the same initial reaction as you cygnusx1, but always had manual trannies, and have my own habits. Afterwards, I did read on another board that "some" are going onto 4L in Park. I'd hate to see someone load their tranny on a hill in park and try to engage 4L as well. As always, don't believe 100% of what you read, but it doesn't hurt to try I guess.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    ...since the engine is the same block and all, if you could put the more powerful 300ZX motor (from a junkyard, for instance) into the XTerra.

Maybe the difference is as simple as cam, computer ignition timing, and exhaust headers? Are cams and chips available? What octane is recommended for stock XTerras?
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    The owners manual recommends you put the tranny in neutral when shifting to 4WD low. However, this causes the gears to grind im many cases. The service manager at VOB Nissan in Rockville, MD told me to put it in Park before shifting into 4WD low. This avoids gear grinding in the automatics.

He said the owners manual is wrong. When I called Nissan, the engineers validated this. 1.800.Nissan1. Call them to see for yourself. We could argue this for months, but I suggest you pick up the phone and call so we can get onto more productive things.

Sure hope it does not ruin the tranny as many mention! That is a valid point!

For the person driving on the beach: Tires at 18 PSI and 4WD low for heavy sand. May want to bring a board and a shovel if you get stuck. The General Grabbers are not good on sand while the BFG AT ko's are supposed to be much better. I drive on the beach often with my two SUVs and have better luck with an A/T tire, but the General Grabber does ok in light sand.

Are the BFG Long Trails any better?
    As before, I still don't mind my LTrails ( for the driving I do 90% of the time ), but I just took another road trip to meet with another gang of X'ers. It was the first chance I got to look at the 2 stock tires side by side, and I can see your point with the generals. Just based on thread pattern, the Ltrails looked like they would have the needed edge.
    If anyone has a chance, go and meet up with other X owners at these little gatherings.. loads of fun.. it seems I'm the only one semi-active on these trips on this board.
    As for the Grabbers, what do you expect for $41.00/tire. There is no edge, but they make for a nice, smooth touring tire on dry pavement! Could also double for a child's toy truck tire, but who cares, right?

Nissan got a good deal from General and cut costs: "Everything you need and nothing you don't."

Where are the trips? Are they all north of Washington, DC/Baltimore?
    Its fun, a good reason to drive, a put faces to all the names we see.
    Short story: this past trip was to Toronto, 7hrs, for a BBQ. The group was going offroading in the morning, and they don't know what I look like, but I knew where they were meeting. Borrowed a Durango, showed up at the meeting spot and proceeded to rag on the X...pile of junk, retard Nissan etc. These guys were too kind, and even asked me to still spend the days with them. Just shows you the spirit of X owners.
    I show for the BBQ in the afternoon, after the initial shock of me being there, talked about the day and the idiot that showed in the morning. I take off the cap & glasses and start rattling off the various insults I used in the morning. Took them a minute or two for them to realise I was the one and same Lame Durango Driver. A good laugh was had all around.
  • 3w3tz3l3w3tz3l Member Posts: 4
    I have been reading reviews that the seats in the X are quite uncomfortable is this true or are the reviewers just being critical? Also I am hearing that the six cylinder engine is a bit weak, any comments? Even Edmunds is quoting these comments ....
  • 3w3tz3l3w3tz3l Member Posts: 4
    ok I read back a few hundred messages and got my answer about the seats.... however, I would like to hear about the engine....also is the 2002 getting more HP?

Thanks...

-E
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Let's put it this way...

It is less powerful than its uncle, the over 10 year old 300ZX. The 300 made 300 HP in turbo form 10 years ago!

What a letdown, Nissan!
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Per Nissan, the 6 cyl. puts out 170 hp and 210 lb ft (or is it ft lbs?) of torque. Yes, there are more powerful engines out there but I find the X more than adequate. The SC will have 40 more hp and I can't remember about the torque. It will be the same engine as in the '01 SC Frontier. The engine has been reviewed in the Frontier, the one I read said it was a bit more powerful at full throttle but won't knock your socks off.
    Funny Story, xcanuk! Was the Durango better?

I kind of equate the X to the 1996 Chevy Impala which is a slow car (stock). Everyone started to modify it and became fanatical in the process. There are many Impala Clubs like there are X Clubs. Now, some Impalas which used to run 17-18 second quarter miles perform at 12 seconds in this same venue. The owners sink thousands to improve the vehicle and then love it.

The X is a little like that. One has to appreciate the styling and then sink money into things like real tires, engine modifications, bull bars, rock sliders, etc..to get the full benefit. After awhile you get used to the seats and the neporene seat covers help the interior look better, in my opinion. The electric cooler is great, but is expensive for those of us who paid for it. Some got it free! The cargo organizer/liner is very helpful and well worth the money.

This is not the truck you want to buy if you do not want to do modifications. There is a reason the truck is so inexpensive compared to other vehicles....costs were cut: antiquated engine designs were used, a power sunroof was not used and the Frontier design was basically copied (Nissan added a cargo roof).

Now am I whining? No, because I knew this before buying and Nissan Customer Service cares which makes a HUGE difference. After owning a FORD, this is a breath of fresh air.

My wife will be stuck with this after we purchase a more powerful vehicle like the Pathfinder and she loves the looks...could care less about the lackluster power, the toy seats seats or the lawnmower-like car tires.
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    Hey y'all. I go tthe quote from the internet manager today and he is giving me a '01 SE 4x4 (manual) for $24,069. Now this is including 'adv' fees of $327. Now I am going to try and figure out a way to talk him out of those. Any suggestions? His compulation was:
    1.for the base 4x4 SE Manual $23,081
    2.Freight $540
    3.Adv $327
    4.Mats $58
    5.Splash Guards $63
    Thus adding up to $24,069 (which I do not think is a bad price at all. He is the one that referred me to edmunds.com and so far has not gave me the run around at all and seems to be working for me vice against.
    I am really doing my homework with the newer '02 models and I think the upgrades are very nice. Seats, whole new dash, parking brake relocated, interior audio sound, option to not have the sunroof!, front end styling, sc, map lamp with integrated compass, 4 int. power points, and new seat colors.
    I asked him for the price I would be paying for the '01 4x4 can I get the '02 SE model 4x2 for around the same price. He said yes. Do you all know what the '01 SE 4x4 started out at last year. He does not think they will vary too much from their prices now because Nissan wants to stick with its price range for car buying customers. Also, when a new car is presented on the market what kind of deals, generally, does the manufactorer give to promote the sales of these cars? Like lower finance rates for that months or freebee's?
    Also I have been checking out all the x Clubs and their locations and I cannot wait to link up with some of you all to have some good 'ol fashioned fun and Bar B Que. That is what I miss about not being in the states, the comrodery among people and complete strangers. That is how it is in Texas too! Why have a BBQ?...Why Not! I will be living in NY as of Sept once I leave Brazil so I will look out for you all. I am starting to loike the looks of the Jet Black now (over my origional fav Silver Ice.), but want to see one in person before I make that decision.
    Keep up the good talks, I am having a good time reading them. It gives me something to do at 3 am when I am working. Take care...Marine
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Well after much searching in my area for an SE 5 speed- an any color other than yellow (I like it now- but later??)- I found a Gold Rush color- just how I wanted it.

I made a low but fair offer of $22,100+ tax/etc. They refused and said they wouldn't let the truck go for under $23,900 (about Edmunds True Market Value)- I'm letting them keep it!

They don't realize the competition they have with the Jeep Liberty. I don't think I'll get a Jeep- but the Liberty is really appealing. For the same price you do GET MORE. If the quality of build was proven- I'd go that route (shift on fly full time 4wd/side air bags option/ 3.7 motor).

Anyway, it will be a MUCH cheaper drive off the lot in a 2002 X for even a few thousand more. The 2002 be current model year for a year, rather than the 2001 being a year old in August when the new improved X comes out. I bet a year from now if I payed $23,900 now on a 2001, it wouldn't be worth over $18.

It will be worth the money to get the improved tires, seats, stereo, spicy new dash setup, cool front end, and better looking rims... and have full color choices.

If it jumps up in price too much- maybe the Liberty will be tried and true by then. They are definitely not the only players out there. But they ARE good.

I say to all out there- if you can't get a steal- wait.

Thanks to all for the negatives on the X. I would have missed many of them. It is still awesome and worth getting- but I'm glad to know its shortcomings ahead of time. It has made me a MUCH smarter shopper.

Thanks Again!
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    I am considering either an Xterra or a Subaru Outback. Please give me your experiences in snow and ice. I am retired and my wife and I live in Maine. We have a fairly steep hill with 1 switchback and another 90 degree turn in it. In the winter it has snow and icey conditions. My 1st priority is snow and ice, my 2nd is reliability and comfort. 3rd is mileage and towing. Please give me your pros and cons on the Xterra. Also does anyone tow as I would like (not absolutely essential) something that could tow a 2500 boat and trailer a very short distance, 7 miles, about twice a year? Last I would appreciate anyone advice sugesstions and recommendations re the vehicle and any tires which might aid it in snow and ice.

I thank you for your time and responses.
    John M.
  • xterracopxterracop Member Posts: 14
    What kind of oil is everyone putting in the X's? I am wanting to go to a synthetic but want peoples opinions. Also what weight 5w30 or 10w30? I have always used 10w but the dealer suggested 5w. Thanks in advance.
    5W30 is fine for the X. I use Mobil One Synthetic which has been proven in test after test to be the best. Synthetic is far better and well worth the added expense.

The dealer in this case is correct. Using a 10W heavier weight oil would be a waste.

They say to change Mobil One after every 5K - 7K miles, but the truth is your oil filter becomes dirty after every 3K miles. Therefore, it is prudent to keep changing the oil every 3K miles, or just change the filter and change the oil every six thousand miles.

To the earlier posters: I raised the tire pressure from 26 psi to 31.5 psi and my mileage increased by 1.5 mpg. This includes driving up and down highway hills with the a/c at full blast. Thanks for the tips!
  • docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    I had a Jeep Cherokee used in mountains with snow and ice. I purchased Pirreli Scorpion All Terrain tires and was very happy with their looks and performance. These were the top-rated all terrain tire by Automobile magazine, in a very comprehensive test done by them several years ago.
    As to pros and cons re Xterras, will leave that to others. I would suggest a look at the 2002 Jeep Liberty, along with the Xterra and Subarus. I have driven two Libertys and was impressed. The 210 horsepower 3.7L V6 is rated for towing 5000 lbs. "when properly equipped". Gas mileage for that engine = 16 city, 20 hwy with automatic. The Liberty was fun to drive, comfy, handled well on and off road, was nicely finished, and has some attractive features. There will undoubtedly be many accessory items available, too. Hopefully, the reliability will be improved over past Jeeps.
    Good luck!
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    If I were recommending a 4wd for my retired Mom and the choices were an Outback or Xterra I would choose the Outback because it is a solid vehicle, lower to the ground..I LOVE MY X..do not get me wrong..but..

Annie
    Yes- Docrlpho, I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee right now. Very nice vehicle- but not as good quality-wise as a Nissan product I have owned in the past.

I think the X is for me- hard to wait for the 2002, since the 2001 I'd want IS available- but why buy it if it is not an EXCEPTIONAL deal, right. Or do you have another take. I'm really not as cheap as I am principled. They simply should be dealing much better knowing what's coming- but maybe the popularity of the vehicle allows them the patience... I dunno. It will be fun to have the new improvements though.

I almost hope the dealership doesn't call me back and accept my offer now because I don't want to get all excited again when I feel like my mind's made up!

Thanks all.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    I have an '00 5spd with a limited slip and stock BFG Long Trails. I live in upstate New York. I too have a steep twisty dirt driveway and we generally get a LOT of snow. My driveway does not get any sun in the winter, which makes it worse.

I found the Long Trails to be OK on level snowy roads but completely inadequate for my driveway. I put on a set of Bridgestone Winter Duelers which are dedicated snow tires and the difference was like night and day. I now have them mounted on a second set of rims so I can swap them on and off myself when I am ready and I don't have to hassle with getting them all in the back, going to a tire shop, etc.

The 4WD is very effective in snow but I have never driven an all-wheel drive like the Subaru so I can't compare them. It is possible that all-wheel drive may provide even better winter traction because of the differences between the two designs. In my case, I find that I use 4LO to go down the driveway in winter. This allows me to stay off the brakes and prevents slides. I don't think the Subaru has a low range.

I find the X very comfortable. 18,000 miles and no problems at all. My mileage averages around 21 mpg. I've never towed.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/orat.jsp

Lists the Michelin LTX A/T and the Pirelli Scorpion A/T as being the best off-road tires. The Bridgestone were ranked as number 6 well ahead of other tires. The Goodyear Wrangler AT was dead last which is a surprise. The Wrangler AT/S was ranked a bit higher.

Not much mention of the BFG AT ko?

Hotcoffee: dealers are dying to get rid of the older models. They do know what is coming and that Nissan has to compete with the Liberty next year. The improvements made to the '02 X are significant and I would wait for the new model! I had the luxury to see one at a local shopping mall a few weeks ago and what a difference!

I am sure we could drop an older 300ZX engine into the X as many Impala owners do with the Corvette LT-1 engines. Do you think the cost would be worth it?

It may be better to get some more miles on the X engine and then buy the '02 or '03 supercharged engine from the factory, drop it in and go from there? Or...get an older supercharged Frontier engine now? The parts are the exact same!
    MSISENG:

Thanks SO much. I really have been agonized. I want one soon. But your input helped a bunch.

You saw a 2002?! Cool. Does the front end look as good as the previews? Did you sit in it, how are the seats? Did they dump the bad patterned upholstry? Did you hear the stereo they are raving about? See MSRP? Any info would be great.

The best part is that I have the luxury of NOT needing the 3.9% right now- that certainly won't be available. So I can get one if they haven't jumped too high in the $$ dept. Hard to wait though- my Grand Cherokee is so darned boring!

Sincere thanks!
  • krazkatkrazkat Member Posts: 2
    I got a great deal, thru the interventions of co-workers at a local dealership here in NJ. I wanted a SE in Alpine green, auto, 4x4. They said $100 over cost. But they could not produce it on their lot. But they had a SE with the same requirements. $100 over cost. On paper it looks like they gave me $9167 for my 1996 V8 Mercury Cougar. So I think I got a great deal. All and All. I enjoy driving it these past 4 days. I was always a car owner so this is real new for me! I went to a concert the other night and parked by a Iszusu Rodeo and a Explorer, My X was by far the best looking vehicle there. I hope it lives up to the great reviews that edmunds gave it, only because of research at edmunds did I even know that this vehicle even existed! You don't see many of them out there. Wish me luck!
    The '02 was awesome. Makes me sick I did not wait because the wife was whining that her Altima was too old. That Altima was fast for a little car!

Do not make the same mistake. If your Jeep is functional, wait! Yes, I did sit in the new X and it is far more palatable. The seats were of a different cloth and the entire dash was redone.

Forgot to check the tires? The front end is fantastic and the parking brake is in a normal place! The MSRP was not listed as this was a "preview" vehicle. The Jeep Liberty was also showcased by a competing roadshow. Makes one wonder....

If you do buy the '01, at least you know Nissan of America will back you with any problems. They seem much better than other manufacturers.
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    I will tell ya what...I have yet to see one upclose, sat in one, nor test drove one BUT I know this car was built for me. No matter the cost I think I am going to go with the Xterra. From what I can tell it is not only the Company (Nissan) but the owner's (you all) seem to be very insightful. The debate for the price between the 4x4 SE '01 and the 4x2 SE '02 is no longer for me. I will go for the newer model as I think from what you all say I will not be disappointed. Even if it is not 4x4, but who knows, if the dealer I am orking with now is still swingin' for me, I may be able to get that. Just depends on what kind of distance I am willing to jump. This short wait for the price is killing me though. I just want to know how much I need to save up. Man. Can't someone talk with the CEO or something? What is his phone number, let me give Bob a call.
  • dfaraondfaraon Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan Xterra 2001 SE 4x4. I have a question regarding the audio system of the Xterra. I have factory installed In-dash 6-disc CD Changer. I want to add an amplifier to it without changing my head unit. Is this possible? Does my Xterra head unit have an RCA preouts on it so I can hook up the amps?

Any answers or inputs is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Went offroading with our newly formed Kentucky Frontier/Xterra Club over the weekend. See pictures by clicking on Gallery here --> http://www.geocities.com/kyfxc

I'm the silver X. I did not get stuck. I am COMPLETELY stock.

Mindie

Nice pics, loads of fun in groups.
    Just think if you had BFG ATs on the truck!

Looks like you had a lot of fun.
    Well people, I'll be getting the XTerra for the dependability- but other than that, I'd be ALL OVER the Liberty- very nice ride, nice styling, shift on fly and full time 4 wheel drive, big electric sunroof, side airbags, 3.7 litre

.... Nissan is up for BIG challenge.

If I hadn't previously owned a Nissan and known how dependable they are- I'd be in 2002 Liberty land today. Fortunately I am now wise enough to go for the quality and give up a few "goodies"- but it was tempting...

Anyone else agree that that is a pretty swell truck- albeit a bit small?
    I've had the "Full Time 4 Wheel Drive" in the past- can drive on wet, dry, snow, patchy- whatever.

In 4wd on the X, one must NOT be on DRY pavement- how about the patchy stuff, crappy wet roads you find in outlying areas- some stretches of dry and fairly solid- then, well, the crap.

Does one AVOID 4wd in these cases??

No big deal either way...
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    If you don't have snow, sand , mud, or rocks under your tires then don't use the 4WD. Pavement, wet or dry, does not provide enough slippage for the 4wd to work properly. It's a Part Time System made to be used off road. Those Full time and All Wheel Drive systems work a lot differently and aren't really meant for off-roading, they're more for bad road conditions, rain, etc. What the X has is a real 4wd system meant to be used on a trail or in snow, not on pavement, no matter how crappy it is.
    Thanks- it is amazing that for the same money, you can get the "Select Trc" system on a Jeep Liberty with the various options- including the "off road part-time" option.

Sure is tempting to go "Jeep".... but I know better!
    Lets see.. if you can figure out how to put that cover UNDER an X.. Let us know. You are the weakest " link " Good bye..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm getting rid of the little spammer as fast as I can :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Anyone buying the Liberty is looking for more trouble that most vehicles! And it is a first year Jeep Production Model? And they ask me why I drink?

I drove the Liberty and it is nice and fast, but after my friends' many historical Jeep troubles, no thank you! I do not think it will stack-up well against the modified '02 X.

Happy driving this weekend!
  • dougmckaydougmckay Member Posts: 22
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Jeep. The J.D. Powers 2001 Initial Quality Study indicates that the Jeep brand overall measured a 20% reduction in problems compared to the year before.

Even more telling are the individual rankings...

A Jeep Grand Cherokee registered 138 problems per 100 vehicles. A Wrangler had 144 problems per 100. And a Cherokee had 180 problems per 100. Where was the Xterra? Tied with the Cherokee at 180 problems per 100 vehicles.

The Liberty is being built at a brand new state of the art assembly plant, which may help reduce initial quality problems that lead to major hassles down the road.
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    The bottom line is Xterra is quality, Jeep has been, is and probably will forever be JUNK. Have fun throwing your money away on the "Liberty". When it rattles and the tranny goes, and the ball joints loosen up, just suck it up. Please, no further discussion re JUNK.
    It is a COMPLETELY valid discussion.

I agree Nissan is historically a better vehicle,
    but this IS a DISCUSSION group- so I don't think the topic should terminated at all if people have to air their thought processes on their purchase.
  • dougmckaydougmckay Member Posts: 22
    johnmei wrote:
    "The bottom line is Xterra is quality"

I would disagree. Overall, Nissan has better quality rankings than Jeep, but the Xterra has the WORST quality ranking of any Nissan in the survey, and a worse rating than 2 out of 3 Jeep models.

Jeep is making fantastic strides forward in quality, being the second most improved brand in the survey. Could it have something to do with the new German management? Your guess is as good as mine, but whatever Jeep is doing they're doing it right.
    Well, I have to agree with some of you. Had a number of major problems with my X like a crack in the engine, but they have been nothing like my friends' Jeep troubles.

Hmmm..German Management? Many German cars are the most reliable on the road...BUT, look what infulence Mercedes had on Chrysler. Not very good except for the Sebring.
  • tonysracingtonysracing Member Posts: 80
    Just had to throw my 2 cents in here. The Liberty is being built at a brand new plant in Toledo, using Mercedes-Benz manufacturing and design techniques. Jeep (and Daimler-Chrysler for that matter) has put all their eggs in one basket with the Liberty. Their #1 concern is durability/reliability. I understand Jeep has a terrible track record (99 Grand Cherokee) but the Liberty is a different animal. My boss has a 2000 Xterra, it's very nice but a little too spartan. I just ordered a Liberty Sport last week. Not looking to start a war, just saying it's gonna be interesting to see the competition, which in fact benefits us all.
    Let me know how you like your new Liberty. May have to check one out myself as I am not impressed with the X after 5 months of ownership. Just hate to take the depreciation hit of trading a vehicle after such a short time-period.
  • xdreamsxdreams Member Posts: 7
    Getting back to 4WD for a minute, I've been told it's important to engage the 4wd every so often even if it's on flat dry pavement, to keep it in good working order. Anyone heard similar? Or will it do more harm than good?
    I never saw it mentioned in the Nissan manual, but its a habit I picked up with my old 4x4's, I still do it with my X. I don't go far, if I can, I'll give it a shot in 4L as well in a parking lot. As long as the road is straight, driving on dry in 4x4 isn't a problem ( avoiding binding the wheels while turning ).