Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Tires and Wheels

Comments

• jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Go to discounttire.com. If you click search by size, they have 12 tires that will fit your car. Three Mich, a Goodyear and a Yoko amongst others. The speed ratings aren't an H but I wouldn't let that stop me if I liked the cars. I doubt I'd ever get over 110 myself.

Even if you don't buy there at least you can read some reviews on the various tires.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    H is not necessarily a higher quality than a T rated tire. It's just that the H rated tire is tested to withstand higher sustained cruising speed (at load and proper inflation) without overheating and failing from excessive stress and heat. The whole speed rating guide came from European countries with no speed limits, so it was necessary to rate tires as appropriate for a given sustained speed.

Given that a T rated tires is rated for sustained speeds of 118mph, I would have no worries about putting it on my 2007 Civic (my normal interstate cruising speed is 70mph). Plus, I believe that the civic has a speed governor that limits it's top speed to 125mph (according to Car and Driver magazine anyway), and what kind of nut is going to cruise at insane high engine rpms (which you'd need to be to sustain that kind of speed).
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A couple of points:

- When comparing two otherwise identical tires (i.e. same make, model and size), one with a "T" rating and one with an "H" rating, the car with the "H" tires will generally handle better while the one with the "T" rating will generally have a softer and more compliant ride.

- I've spent a lot of time in Europe, and have seen Hondas tooling along at an easy buck-thirty, and doing so all day long. FWIW, there is nothing insanely high about the RPMS that these cars are turning to achieve that kind of speed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Don't know about European models, but my US-made Civic EX auto sedan would be pulling well over 4500 rpm to cruise at 120+mph. I consider that insanely high rpm's for sustained cruising - in a car with a redline of 6800 rpm, cruising at two thirds or more of redline is a ridiculous thing to do, IMO.

P.S. for one thing, don't all the European civics come with the smart-shift 6-speed manual-auto trans., and it's geared differently then even the Si 6-speed in the US? (except for the hybrid, which uses a CVT on both sides of the pond).
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Well, we're going to have to differ on this issue. I don't consider 4500 rpms all that high given the speed. While I don't remember engine speed of my 530i from when I was touring Europe in it, I'm thinking it was about 4500 as well, and at a buck-thirty plus, all was calm and sedate inside the car. At one point in Germany I took an OBC based mileage reading with the CC set at 120 (a speed that the prevailing traffic allowed uninterrupted for nearly 40 miles), and the result was 24 mpg. Not too shabby.
    Maybe I'm way off base here, but I believe that the R18 engine in the DX, LX, and EX models and the K20 engine in the Si will happily turn 4500 all day long and still return reasonable fuel economy at speed. The fact is that 120 really isn't all that fast.

As for how all of this relates to tires, I believe that even here in the U.S., we drivers are obligated by law to shoe our cars with tires that at least meet the maximum governed speed of our cars. Case in point, back in the 1990s, Mercedes-Benz was suffering through a spate of complaints about the tires used on their (then) new S-Class models. Folks by the thousands (I know because I wrote the database and client side software to track the issue) were calling to complain about poor traction, rough riding and flat spotting in cold weather, and as the tire technology of the day didn't allow for manufacturing all-season tires capable of the 155 mph top speed of that car. In response, Mercedes-Benz of North America offered their customers two choices:

1) Live with it
    2) Have "H" rated all season tires fitted to the can AND have the ECU reprogrammed so that the top governed speed was only 128 mph (something they would have been forced to do by law if they fitted lower speed tires)

IIRC, well over half of the folks who voiced a complaint about the tires refused to have their cars reprogrammed and in the end decided to live with the factory rubber.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • leash_eleash_e Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I'm buying a 2001 Honda Civic Si Coupe and I need to buy winter tires. Does anyone have any suggestions? And what size does the Si take?
  • pooch195opooch195o Member Posts: 1
    i also began hearing "the noise" at 14,000 miles. first was told that the tires were the cause. now am finding it is a short rear suspension arm. I am waiting two months for honda to manufacture the part - why?- meanwhile the dealership has adjusted the too short arm so it will not make noise and putting new tires, will pick up my car today. I hope this is safe, they said it was I would like to know why the wrong part was put on in the first place. I also am experiencing the clunk sound at times when moderately applying the brakes. what do you guys think - I thought about lemon law and heard about a possible class action suit? let me know please.
  • mpan20mpan20 Member Posts: 9
    So now that i've gone and sold the car Honda decides if to come out with a fix for this problem. I wonder if I'm going to get my money back that I spent replacing tires for Honda's screw up. Does anyone know of a class action suit?
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    Random question, i'm not really very familiar with winter conditions, as I grew up OCONUS in the tropics... When does it normally become necessary to use chains on your car? I live in central Colorado, around Colorado Springs, and we often get some fairly significant amounts of snow. I'm just not sure if it would be reasonably necessary for me to get some chains for my car or not. I'm in the '07 Civic Si. Any help would be appreciated.
    I live in central Colorado, around Colorado Springs, and we often get some fairly significant amounts of snow. I'm just not sure if it would be reasonably necessary for me to get some chains for my car or not. I'm in the '07 Civic Si.

I would check with your neighbors to see if they find chains helpful, and how quickly they clear the roads in your area. My friend lives outside of C. Springs, and he said last winter, the snow would get so deep he wouldn't even leave the house that day until the roads are cleared. Since you have a low clearance vehicle as opposed to an SUV, your movement could be limited by that. There's also been some posts on these boards regarding Civic front bumpers being damaged by deep snow.

As for the chains, you can get a simple set for around $30. If it seems to go long periods of time there where you don't see any street pavement, I think it would be worth it. You'll certainly get much better traction and definitely worth it if you have any inclines you need to climb.
  • ernest1934ernest1934 Member Posts: 4
    We purchased a 2006 Civic EX new and recently replaced the tires at 55,000 miles.
    Our mileage on the highway has ALWAYS been 44-48MPG - we set the cruise at 5 mph below the limit and rarely have to change speeds -driving in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina (flatlands) & Florida.
    I put Yokohama AVID TRZ as replacements and consistently get highway mileage of 36-40 mpg driving in all the same places.
    I even added about 10% air pressure (32 to 35psi) with no recognizable benefit.
    Have others had these problems? What were your actions?
    Thanks,
    Ernest1934
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    A couple of observations that are strictly my opinion so don't take it wrong. We also own a 2006 EX auto sedan purchased new (currently has about 13K miles showing) and have NEVER...repeat NEVER approached 44mpg let alone 48. I drive conservatively setting the cruise @ 70-71 mph where the limit is 65 and never exceed it (OK never say never..rarely then) but you realize those claims are squarely within hybrid territory and unless the speed limit you are 5 mph under is 55 mph the I have trouble believing your claim (from very first hand experience). That said, tires should not cause any appreciable fuel economy loss. Notice I said appreciable especially if they are direct replacements in size. Certainly not what you claim. In fact the "after" fuel economy sounds a whole lot more like what we get on the highway (the middle 30's), You may just now be calculating the "normal" fuel economy for this car after somehow inflating it for 55K miles. Don't ask me how that is even possible but that is what it seems like to me.
    I have calculated the mileage on every tank of gas since the car was brand new, and simple division has never been a challenge to me for the last 60 years at least.

Rather than to simply dispute someone's credibility, you might consider a little time to study the rolling resistance on various tires and, additionally, the effects on gas mileage by varying your speed on the highway every time you slow down or accelerate the car to pass another. The math is fairly simple. You can make more friends that way.

I asked a question if others with Civics had experienced any similar results to mine. I can apparently assume that you have not.
    You took it wrong didn't you??? I am not trying to make friends, I certainly don't believe everything I read on an open forum and since I own that exact car I feel I am fairly qualified to dispute the claim based on my conservative driving style. No matter, my answer to your question is this: There is not enough rolling resistance difference (and I am sure there is some) between any tires in the size for our cars sold by any tire manufacturer on the planet that would account for the loss of 8-10 or12 mpg. Whatever your "problem" is it is it isn't the tires. Yes, you can assume that I have not experienced anything like this on my Civic or ANY vehicle I ever owned and I would be most surprised if anyone else said they did. It is simply too much of a loss to blame on the tires. All my opinion of course......
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    unless the tires were running about 10 psi, then you'd have a lot or rolling resistance!!
    Well....yes that is true but this person stated he actually increased his tire pressure on the new tires, I stand by my observation that there is no normal way new tires could account for a large fuel economy loss like that.
  • ras314ras314 Member Posts: 43
    Some kind of damage done while changing tires? Warped rims, wheel bearing damage or something? Anything else changed at the same time as the tire change?
    This information is ONLY for those that believe what I said is credible and are interested in keeping an open mind and seeking information from someone else that may possibly improve their Civic performance.

I have been trying to obtain the numerical rolling resistance for the original and replacement tires without success.
    However, I just talked to the Honda repair shop and they stated that they have had problems with the 06 Civic Hybrids that came with the same original tires as our non-hybrid EX when the original tires were replaced. The replacement tires have reduced the mileage 4-6 mpg. The reason, as I understood him, had something to do with the construction of the Bridgestone Turanza EL-400 and that the other tires could not compare.
    I certainly believe him, especially as that came from a Honda man.

Since I believe I have verified that the loss of mpg as stated is due to the replacement tires, I will not respond further.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    This is the highest mileage I've gotten on the highway with the oem Goodyear RS-A tires so I'm highly doubtful when I hear mileage figures in the mid 40's for non hybrid Civics. I guess it could be acheivable on flat terrain going 65 mph with the cruise on and no a/c but I would suspect 39 would be a more reasonable mpg amount.
    But anything is possible I suspect...I'm just very skeptical.

The Sandman ;)
    I put Yokohama AVID TRZ as replacements and consistently get highway mileage of 36-40 mpg driving in all the same places.
    I even added about 10% air pressure (32 to 35psi) with no recognizable benefit.
    Have others had these problems? What were your actions?

You will probably get a better response if you post your question in the

Honda Civic Real World MPG forum.

That's where the gas mileage experts hang out.

Also if you review the forum called:

Honda Civic Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

You will see that the tires that comes standard with the Hybrid can have a big effect on gas mileage. When the standard tires were changed to other tires of the same size, the gas mileage would decrease significantly.

So claims made by others in response to your post, that tires can not affect the gas mileage that much, are not true.
    The original poster who complained about a major loss in fuel economy when changing out the original tires DOES NOT have a Civic hybrid. The hybrid DOES come with very low rolling resistance tires and replacing them when worn with "standard" tires and not the specified original low rolling resistance tires will probably result in decreased fuel economy to some degree since the hybrid tire is designed and specified for use with this car. However, replacing the "standard" Bridgestone EL-400 on any other Civic( EX-LX-DX sedan or coupe) with another brand of equal size will NOT result in major fuel economy loss. In spite of what a Honda employee said (and this guy will readily belive some Honda flack who probably doesn't know any more than you or I) I still don't believe tires can be responsible for the loss as noted...sorry!!!
    I believe a hybrid car that comes with special low rolling resistance tires as part of the hybrid "package" can probably loose a certain amount of fuel economy if those tires are replaced with normal every day tires due to an increase in rolling resistance. However, a non-hybrid car cannot loose the massive amount of MPG as noted simply because of a tire change to another major brand in the right size. There is no large difference between Goodyear and Bridgestone or Michelin and Dunlop with regard to rolling resistance or it isn't large enough to account for that drop. Hell, if one could gain 8 mpg by changing to a specific brand tire do you think it would be a secret? That company couldn't make enough tires....
    This line of debate seems to have died since the original poster doesn't want to hear how wrong his line of thought about different tire brands rolling resistance and the effect on fuel economy is. According to him the original Bridgestone EL-400's were replaced with Yokohama Avid's resulting in a major (8 mpg or more) fuel economy loss. I maintained this was impossible simply due to a tire brand change and this insensed him to the point he no longer replies thinking (correctly) I don't believe in the whole premise. I have since found tire test information that includes comparitive rolling resistances between many brands (Consumer Reports Nov. 2006 issue). According to that test the Bridgestones he praised as delivering superior fuel economy has only "fair" rolling resistance whereas the Yokohama Avids he said has caused massive fuel economy losses (as compared to the original Bridgestones) has "good" rolling resistance. So, if you believe what he said the poorer rated tires gave much better fuel economy than the better rated tires. The "logic" he used is faulty. Go figure??? In any case...if you are still out there...I don't believe what you stated. Tire brands cannot account for the huge differences you report. Case closed as far as I am concerned.
  • kevman2kevman2 Member Posts: 3
    Found a set of '04 Accord LX wheels, lugnuts, and hubcaps, would be a great find as snow wheels for my '06 EX Civic - - the bolt pattern is the same, but not sure if offset is OK or if they will clear my disc brake calipers?? It appears that these wheels are different than the '06 DX steel wheels, which are also 15"..... I'm guessing that there could be an issue with brake caliper clearance but can't seem to find any info anywhere to tell me one way or the other. I'd go try them on, but I live a few miles from where they are for sale (private party)....hate to drive 50 miles for nothing.

thanks!
  • tallpinesmantallpinesman Member Posts: 2
    Just got a call from Honda today to inform me that my two rear tires will not be covered due to the TBS recently published on the rear geometry of my 07 civic. Seems as though the rear tires get messed up, cupped, etc. and they will only give an adjustment on cars with less the 25K...nevermind that the problem exists and ruins the tires before that magic mile marker is hit,,,,,,I have seen posts that someone over 25k had their tires replaced at no charge. Anyone with a similar problem? Check your rear tires for wear and see the dealer for the "Uneven or Rapid Rear Tire Wear" service bulletin #08-001......service is to replace rear upper control arms, flange bolts, replace the rear tires ( in my case at my cost) and do a four wheel alignment.
    Do you know a site to read the actual TSB? I looked at www.nhtsa.dot.gov and the only 8th generation Honda Civic TSB they have for suspension is only for the front suspension.
  • tallpinesmantallpinesman Member Posts: 2
    Here is a link to the site....scroll down to see the scan posted by a member. This is a real mess looking at other posts on the web.....tons of worn tires and people who paid for alignments that did not work on 06 and 07 civics.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2225229
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    Had my 07 tires rotated with 12,000 miles on them. Left the dealer and now my car sounds like I put snow tires on it. It also had a vibration which you can really feel around 20 mph. Called the dealer and they said it sounds like it needs balancing. Took it to my father in laws shop and he said I had "chop" on my front tires. Called the dealer back and told them I heard about the 07's having bad rear control arms. They said they haven't heard anything about that but now think balancing won't help. I have an appt this Friday to see about the control arms. I will bring a copy of the TSB from the previous post: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2225229. Hopefully that will help.

This has to be the reason I've always felt a thump in the back when I hit bumps. You can actually feel the rear try to swing out sometimes.
    Took the car in today and they are ordering the rear control arms and checking with Honda to see if the 2 tires can be replaced.
  • rossgrossg Member Posts: 4
    FYI, I had my Civic repaired under TSB 08-001. Although they didn't cover my tires the repair was made and what an amazing difference in the handling and ride of the car. You will notice right away the car seems to hug the road, you don't get that loose feeling from the rear of the car. :)
    Had the arms replaced and I can't believe how different the car now feels. I don't get that "hopping" in the rear when I go over bumps.
    Where can I get a direct link to this so I can print it out? The link from a couple of pages ago is too much to copt...just wnat to copy the exact TSB.
    Thanks.

The Sandman :)
    I just copied the two pages of the TSB from a few posts back (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2225229.) and pasted it into Word and brought it to my dealer.
  • chicago1985guychicago1985guy Member Posts: 10
    Wow! THanks for your extensive reply!

Bottom line is that Civic LX (no S) it is ... i get slap a steering wheel cover for that "Ultimate feel" for 60 dollars off ebay and I will be set!

Again thanks for your reply.. it shines some light on the whole situation.!
  • wanderingwolfwanderingwolf Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issue as everyone else - just told yesterday I needed new tires AGAIN -third set on civic hybrid that has only 32,000 miles on it. Called american honda and opened a case - then when I went to pick up my car later, they told me they were replacing the rear control arms and honda was covering the cost of replacing the control arms as well as the cost of 4 new tires and alignment. I am not very happy about Honda dealers for not saying anything to me about an obviously KNOWN issue, but am happy they are covering costs! Considering the safety factor involved here, I am really surprised at Honda for not issuing a recall immediately to correct the problem for all owners. I call this a "Youcall" instead of Recall.
    I am really surprised at Honda for not issuing a recall immediately to correct the problem for all owners.

They did issue a recall. Either, they didn't have your current address or you haven't been checking the notices on edmunds.com. See:

http://www.houstoncars.org/recall-notice-2006-2007-honda-civic-sedans.php

And:

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=recall&year=2007&make=Honda- &model=Civic&style=Hybrid+4dr+Sedan+%281.3L+4cyl+gas%2Felectric+hybrid+CVT%29&zi- p=89012&synpartner=edmunds
    The O ring recall is not the same as the conrol arm issue. The rear control arm problem is only a TSB.
  • silver_sallysilver_sally Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2008 Civic LX and was wondering if anyone with a 2008 model has had a problem with the tires or control arms.
  • suiosuio Member Posts: 42
    I am curious about this too. If no one posts any issue, there the problem does not exist for 2008 models.
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Evidently no one has enough miles on their 2008 Civic to have adequate information. We bought a 2008 Civic that was manufactured in November of 2007. We had the same concerns as the previous posters expressed about whether this car might have similar problems with the control arms and tire wear

Doesn't sound like most dealers would offer this kind of information voluntarily. :shades:

Brad
    I have over 10,000 miles on my 2008 EX-L. No tire problems or vibrations as have been mentioned by 2006-2007 owners.
  • politeness99politeness99 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for someone with more miles on their 2006 Civic..

My 2006 Civic LX just hit 27000 mi and I had the rear upper arms replaced (Honda dealer and corporation were unwilling to cover the tire replacement b/c I was over 25000mi). At any rate, my question is:

Despite have the upper arms replaced, is this going to be a recurring issue? i,e. should I expect to replace tires every 15000-20000mi? I seem to have heard somewhere that the core issue was in the un-adjustable camber of the civics and not the arms. Any information and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

-Craig
    Had mine replaced yesterday and they told me to send copies of my new tire receipts to Honda to see if they'll refund some $. My tires wore out before 14k miles even with multiple alignments which I can document.
    Hope they'll pay back something to me.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • wtbuckwtbuck Member Posts: 1
    I have 2008 Honda Civic with 13000 miles and my tires have flat spots and lots of ROAD noise. So far dealor is not owning up to problem. Just getting started.
  • scamper2scamper2 Member Posts: 3
    We bought a 2008 Honda civic coupe and a Honda Civic sedan in Jan. of 2008. In the sedan after about 8,000 km on the all season tires that came with the car we started to hear a buzzing in the rear. Rear tire thread was wore unevenly. We were first told that it may be caused by towing excess weight however we had not towed anything and could prove the hitch had not been used as the paint was not disturbed. Then dealer advised we needed a 4 wheel alignment our cost. Dealer agreed to pay and found 4 wheels in perfect alignment. National service advised dealer to take measurements of rear suspension again all okay. Conclusion was tires that were on car when purchased were not of hard enough compound for suspension. We are now being charged for tire wear on initial tires. The second vehicle civic has been in the garage for almost 6 weeks measurements taken - Same tires on much the same car- we are now advised tires are okay even though buzzing has already begun. With what I have read on this site there appears to be be a widespread problem with tires or suspension and honda are not responding appropriately. It appears a recall is justified. Are there more 2008 Civic owners hearing a buzzing or humming from the rear of their car in the USA and Canada. Anyone else finding these cars also hit hard on the rear suspension.
  • jonesbb630jonesbb630 Member Posts: 31
    I believe I am starting the same problem as you here in Canada with 9,000km. I don't even have a hitch on mine. Was planning to mention on my next oil change at dealer. Just appears the tires are humming. Got Goodyears eagles RSA oem and I already rotated them once at my first oil change as my dealer recommends rotation every oil change.
  • scamper2scamper2 Member Posts: 3
    Interesting different brand tires but similiar. We found rear tires were feathered meaning uneven tread wear. I don't know how rotating will solve this problem.The original tires that came with our civics were Dunlop all seasons replaces with what is reported to be a better Dunlop sport 5000 tires. We have put 6,000kms on the replacements - no problem yet. The problem has started with the second civic but the dealer reports Honda Canada advised tires would not be replaced as measurements of rear suspension are in specification. Perplexed and not satisfied with Honda response to problem.
  • llryanllryan Member Posts: 1
    I had my upper control arms replaced 30000 miles ago. Since then I have had to replace the rear tires two times. The dealership states I need to rotate my tires more and says they can find nothing wrong with the car so it must be a tire issue!
  • NoisyWheelNoisyWheel Member Posts: 4
    We purchased a 2008 HCH at the at the very end of 2007.
    My wife noticed tire noise soon after. That noise has only worsened.
    The dealership gave us the runaround and finally blamed it on us.
    The customer support (out of California) did nothing more than add lip service, concluding the problem was us even though I attached their service bulletin (admitting the problem) to my complaint letter.
    From my engineering background, I concluded the car appears to have a design definciency. Probably has something to do with the combination of a specialized suspension and harder (low rolling resistance tires). I expect it costs less for the manufacturer to stall than correct the problem.
    Prior to this, I was planning on purchasing a civic for myself. Now I won't be buying a Honda at all !
    We're disappointed in Honda and disappointed in the civic.
  • NoisyWheelNoisyWheel Member Posts: 4
    Yes, others (many) have experienced same. A recall was issued for previous model years based on Honda service bulletin 08-001 (you should be able to google the pdf). Bulletin includes models up through part of 2008.
    Best guess Honda has a system design problem and are in damage control (including their reputation).
    I do not believe the fix their bulletin puts in place will solve the problem either. Our car (2008 HCH) is exhibiting same behavior. Dealer says our serial number has the fix. (We're getting same runaround !)
    For my part I have (and will continue) to share my disappointment (to friends, work associates and relatives ) with the car and the manufacturer as I feel motivated.
This discussion has been closed.