Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• flj168flj168 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Folks,
    After a 800 mile drive over Christmas, my "95 Windstar's windshield wipers and front power windows stopped working. I checked the fuses, they look okay. Does anyone know to resolve this electrical or mechanical problem?

Thanks,
    Fred
  • rmarcottermarcotte Member Posts: 1
    Hey, did u ever get that tensioner off, I am going through the same prob with my 1995 STAR. I have all the bolts off but can budge the large on going through the center of the tensioner.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    If the tensioner has to be rotated counterclockwise to release belt tension, the centre bolt is usually left hand thread.
  • davidr8davidr8 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem. Have found a vacuum hose that is disconnect but am unable to find where to plug back in,must be somewhere in back of engine block but it is almost impossible to see back there even tried using mirror. Anyone know where connection is.
  • mcottermcotter Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 WINDSTAR. IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING GREAT, BUT LAST WEEK THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. THE DEALER WANTS A COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS JUST TO DIAGNOSE. IT HAS ABOUT 45K MILES ON IT. I AM NOT SURE WHAT ALL THESE POSTS MEAN WHEN THEY SAY "WHAT CODE"? tHIS IS THE YELLOW LIGHT THAT IS A PICTURE OF AN ENGINE. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OF WHAT IT MAY BE?
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Check the simple things first: Replace the Air Filter, then fuel filter, PVC Value. After that check on the vacuum hoses in the back on the engine.

If it is not something simple, then the intake manifold gaskets or EGR ports maybe the problem.

Good Luck
    "I AM NOT SURE WHAT ALL THESE POSTS MEAN WHEN THEY SAY "WHAT CODE"?"

They mean which stored diagnostic trouble codes were retrieved from the engine control computer when a code reader or scanner was connected to the vehicle's diagnostic port.

"THE DEALER WANTS A COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS JUST TO DIAGNOSE."

AutoZone will retrieve DTC's no charge.

"ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OF WHAT IT MAY BE?"

No, and neither does anybody else without the trouble codes.

Btw, please turn off your CAPS LOCKS. It's the internet equivalent of shouting.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    If that is the current version of the "check engine" light, I'd check with what other dealers in your area charge. Nearest one to me is down to $70 for that diagnostic charge.
  • roccitysnowmanroccitysnowman Member Posts: 1
    an engine light is most likely a sensor ex. m.a.p,o2,egr valve if you have an auto zone in your area they do the diagnostic for free.
  • windstarmarcowindstarmarco Member Posts: 6
    which VIN?
  • prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    My '96 power window used to stop working from time to time. Then it would start working again. Then stop again. I solved the problem by getting rid of the car.

:lemon: ;)
  • littleton26littleton26 Member Posts: 2
    as a former ford technician it has been my experience that the symptoms you describe sound like a leaking intake manifold. with out knowing the specific code found and the repair history it is tough to be sure. i do not know the code number but i can tell you that it is what they call a lean code meaning the engine is getting more air than fuel hence the leaking manifold. please don't do any repairs with out the proper diagnosis but this may give you a new place to have your mechanic check out. HOPE THIS HELPS!!
  • littleton26littleton26 Member Posts: 2
    BY PASSENGER AREA ARE YOU REFERING TO THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE? IF SO IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR OR THE BLEND DOOR ITSELF IS BROKEN. FORD HAD A PROBLEM WITH BOTH OF THESE COMPONENTS ON MANY OF THERE VEHICLES. COULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO START. THE FRONT CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEMS WERE MORE PRONE TO THIS PROBLEM BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THE REAR WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
  • alofilealofile Member Posts: 1
    I have 98 with 3.8 engine. I have a coolant leak from the front cover. Is that mean the water pump leaking or the front cover leaking. But the front cover should be leaking oil only not coolant. Is that right. Thanks
    Front cover can leak coolant as well as oil.
  • treywindstreywinds Member Posts: 5
    Thnx for the info.I had the power steering pump,serpentine belt,and idler pulley/tensioner replaced.The noise returned;now the fluid is backing up through the top of reservoir,even with the new cap in place,as if pressure is causing this.also-bought a Haynes manual,can't seem to find a solution to this type of leakage.
  • reisatreisat Member Posts: 2
    Hi, does anyone sell a new or used Windstar boot cover / cargo shade? Or do you happen to know where to purchase a cargo shade rsp. a boot cover for a Windstar 1998?
    I would be glad about an appropriate hint.
    Thanks from Germany
    Reinhard
  • zanesmamazanesmama Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Windstar, the check engine light comes on but can be reset by disconnecting the battery. I've taken it to Auto Zone, I can't remember the exact code/wording, but its something about fuel over-flow valve/sensor. When the idiot light comes on my gas milage goes from 24mpg to 13mpg. The guys at Auto Zone have know clue. The van has had a tune up(plug, wires, filters, etc.) Does anyone have an idea?
  • john124john124 Member Posts: 1
    My problem is that my the washer fluid isn't working. I replaced it with a new pump but it still doesn't work. however, my back windshield fluid is working fine. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem.
    Need to know the specific code # to help.
  • windy1995windy1995 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 95 windstar and I think my tranny just went out today. I had the same shifting issues and the issues with the shifter having to be wiggled or moved to the proper gear that I thought I was already in. Today, I parked facing another vehicle, put my van in park and turned it off. When I took my foot off the brake it rolled forward into the other vehicle and would not start. I thought it was just not in gear, but after the other vehicle moved, I could not get the van in gear at all and it just rolls forward since I was on a slight hill. Right now the van is sitting dead in my daughters school parking lot. I have had the van since brand new and have had alot of small problems plus of course the recall stuff. I finally learned to ignore the door ajar light and also took the lamps out of the interior to FIX that problem. I have 118000 miles and was hoping to just drive it a couple more months until I could trade it in but it looks like I waited too long. I'm sure the cost to fix this is way more than the van is worth.
  • smarvinsmarvin Member Posts: 2
    Try replacing the IAC valve (idle air intake). My car was in the shop 3 times and the mechanics could not figure out the problem. If you can fix it yourself, it's less than $100.
  • smarvinsmarvin Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same issue with my van (2001). The nasty thing is, this is a known issue and my mechanic said it's a given that around 70,000 miles, Windstars prior to 2002 need the transmission replaced. Good luck getting any resolution from Ford - especially if you do not get it fixed at a Ford dealership. Scripted response is "we are not aware of any issue and there is no recall for this issue". (But oddly enough, they managed to fix the transmission for the 2002 vans, which is what I had to pay $2600 to put in my van). It was the same response we received when we had to replace the engine in our F150 due to a known Ford issue. Gee, wonder why they are cutting jobs and losing millions on the trucks and SUVs.
    it's a given that around 70,000 miles, Windstars prior to 2002 need the transmission replaced

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration by your mechanic. I know I have 95,000 on my 1997's transmission and transmission is fine...various engine gaskets are another matter.
  • doinwidoinwi Member Posts: 6
    I've seen some posts related to rough starts but I'm not sure they apply to me. I have a 98 GL that normally runs really well. We noticed on a long trip last year that when the car was warm and we stopped at a rest station that it would start/idle rough when we got going again. Of course I'm concerned about being far from home and having a mechanical breakdown. Around town we don't normally jump right back in it and start it when it is warm so we don't notice it as much. Has anyone had similar experience with a Windstar starting rough when it's warm? My mechanic doesn't have any suggestions. :confuse:
  • mclynemclyne Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Windstar SE with exactly this problem - steering noise when turning left. Wondering what you or others have found to be the problem and perhaps the solution?
  • cooolguycooolguy Member Posts: 1
    I began with a leaky timing cover gasket and a no power problem. I assumed there must be a problem with the plugs or wires so I changed all gaskets, wires and plugs. Suprisingly there is still a power problem. I took the exhaust pipe off before the converter because I assumed it may be plugged. It still had no power and I know it is timed perfectly. (can only get 80 kilometers an hour) I had it to a shop and they had no answers but could tell me the front cylinders were running lean and the back cylinders were running rich. I have been working on this for a month now and would love some peace of mind. Please someone give me a suggestion.
  • flj168flj168 Member Posts: 12
    For those of you that have '95 Windstars with windshield wiper/washer and power window problems, here's the possible solution. I had to replace the electrical control module $235.00 plus another $150 labor to check and replace the unit. This part had to be special order from the factory since this is not a off the shelf dealer part. :cry:
  • bruno5bruno5 Member Posts: 5
    same problem here with stuck control on def. any solutions yet??? have no idea where to look for vac. hoses. does the a/c run with control stuck on def./floor setting?
    any help whatsoever appreciated. will send cash for fix. :confuse: :confuse:

ps. is there a way to directly e-mail other members regarding same problems??

thank you all
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I had 95 WS which needed a new tranny at 50K. But Ford got better, my 00 needed one at 38K!! Better still, the dealer said the first new tranny they tried to put in "didn't fit" and they had to get another shipped to them!!! I was smart (or dumb) enough to buy an ext warranty with the 00!
  • hammer92253hammer92253 Member Posts: 1
    A year ago my windstar was running rough with check engine light on. It read number 6 cyl. was misfiring. Turned out it was number 4 spark plug wire bad. After they tore apart the fuel injection system. And that wire ended up costing me around $400. Now the engine is missing again and jumps. The check engine light is on but no code comes up. Any suggestions? I don't want another high bill for a minor repair.
  • kgregg1kgregg1 Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem several years ago with my 98'. The system is not getting adequate vaccum. In my case the vacuum hose had cracked at a fitting. This particular fitting (colored red) was located up high in the engine compartment just under the cowling at the front of the engine (the end with the serpentine belt). It was an easy fix once the crack was found. I just removed the cracked part of the hose from the fitting. Then put some silicone caulk around the hose end and stuck the hose back in the fitting.
    thank u to kgregg1, will check out this weekend. i do believe thats the problem, and fix. started to get a little air thru other vents , like it wasnt enuf suck to change it from one mode to the other. thanks again, bob. and thanks for making the effort to answer. :)
    hey guys, if i spray starter fluid on each end of red hose to determine which side is leaking, good idea, or stuff go boom and flames all over???????? :confuse: :confuse:
  • themuttthemutt Member Posts: 1
    I own a 96 windstar that does the same thing...however it will do it around town after it has been running for a while and is warmed up. You let it sit for 20-30 mn before restarting and it will start/idle rough like it is missing but will clear out when revved. Anyone out there with some ideas for us? I sit a sensor? help!
  • snowfire60snowfire60 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 WS which I already replaced the transmission & Now I need an engine my question is can any other year windstar engine replace it with out alot of changes or even another eninge something else compatable for this year? :mad: also on the brakes I replaced the rotators,pads,drums,calipers and the brakes still grind and the petal pumps back when you push on them any answers Id be happy to here. :confuse:
    For the engine, check here. It'll give you an idea of the year range and price spread:

http://car-part.com/

Re the brakes, does it pulse at every brake apply or only at lower speeds, around 5 mph?
  • gaylecrabgaylecrab Member Posts: 3
    The replacement vs worth depends on how much you like the van and how long you want to keep it. Our tranny was replaced at around 120,000 miles. The 1995 Windstar currently has 310,000 miles on it. My logic at the time was that a new transmission was less exensive than payments on a new car. If the same decision was before me, I'd do it again - but only because we really love the Windstar.
  • gaylecrabgaylecrab Member Posts: 3
    I just had this happen with my 05 Ford Focus.

It was a front end collision with the impact occuring between center and the passenger headlight. We expect the car to be a total loss. There's just really nothing left of the front end to put back together. Neither front airbag deployed. My family and I are very bruised up but (in my opinion) very lucky to be alive. Still, the airbag issue bothers me.

Thankfully, we still have our Windstar that we can use for transportation. We've been pretty fortunate with that vehicle.
  • budrobudro Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Ford windstar 1995 with 124,000 miles. It was bought before I found this Information Center... anyway Mine makes a whirrrring sound all the time and increases with engine speed.. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? at least if there are real problems I am only out 2100.00 so, I a could cut expense and take the LOSS now.
    thanks.
    Budro :confuse: image
  • bobzornbobzorn Member Posts: 1
    Problem with my 98 Windstar:

After starting my van - ALL the interior lights come on and don't extinguish until about one hour after I have stopped the car. Presently NO door ajar light is on while the interior lights are on. Nonetheless, I have done the WD40 spraying of door latches and switches as suggested by other posts in this forum because I have had door ajar problems in the past. The WD40 thing is not working this time.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this malady? Also, what electronics in the car is responsible for extinguishing the lights (in this case) after one hour?
  • pdesjardinspdesjardins Member Posts: 1
    This happened last friday. All lights are out in the dashboard. :lemon: They came back on intermittently, then went out again. This was after a couple of days of heavy rain in the north-east. Could rain have seeped in and caused a short? Thanks for any advice.
    Pete
  • chauvinchauvin Member Posts: 1
    HI,

IM having strange problems with my heater. I can let the van warm up to defrost my windows and heat it but it never seems to get that warm, but when I drive within 15 minutes its really warm in van. If I leave it running to run in somewhere the air is lukewarm or cold again until I start driving any ideas on what is wrong,
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a circulation issue...either low on coolant or a partly sticking thermostat or lots of debris in the system.
  • pynapplpynappl Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!
    Just stopped by to say WAH! :cry: Well, my 98 lost its Tranny. A lot to repair her...4200...along with 5 Vacuum leak codes...Thats just for starters. There are 4 other codes that came up that will need to be done, She has over 100k miles and I'm stuck on stupid. Is 4200 a lot including the CE light codes for the Vac Leaks??? Its not at Ford, but a local repair shop...(and it is only a reconditioned tranny from Ford with a warranty...something like 50k miles) Guess I should go call them. :mad: Don't care to deal with the dealer.
    Thanks,
    Melody
  • inzoinzo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 windstar. At about 25000 miles the vehicle started whining whenever the wheel was turned in the slightest. Finally at about 30,000 miles the dealership replace the power steering pump. The van now has 75,000 miles and the same problem has surfaced.

I viewed another post in this forum (#2162) that described a similar problem. Does anyone know if this is common with this year of production?
  • bobc5bobc5 Member Posts: 8
    The only way to fix this car is to get rid of it. Be thankful if you can trick a dealership into taking it at a decent price. I bought this disgrace new in 2000. When I was trading it in the PS pump, Rack, Trans, Electrical System and more were all failing. On a good day the tranny warning wouldnt come on and the PS pump wouldnt whine so I dumpped it. Considering I had the SEL which was something like 28k and I had to dump it for 5k after 6 years this will be my last ford product.
  • nick2006matrixnick2006matrix Member Posts: 42
    My remote key fob has quit working for my 2001 Winstar. Autozone get $55.00 for a new one. Does anyone know what the dealer gets or if there is a cheaper replacement available?
  • fizzfizz Member Posts: 1
    hi my 99 windstar needs a trany 60,000 miles & the od light comes on all the time that is the tranmission problem it is slipping in over drive . the light is indicating a trany problem . bring it back to get fixed.
  • brd3brd3 Member Posts: 6
    My 2002 Windstar makes the same noise. Usually a little louder when the engine is warmest (During a long drive). I just turn the radio up a little louder and then I forget about the noisy power steering pump.
This discussion has been closed.