Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Audio

jpbranjpbran Member Posts: 37
edited August 2014 in Volkswagen
Just got my new Passat on Friday. I did NOT spring for the pricey Dynaudio option, though now wish I did. CDs seem to sound more-or-less just OK on the standard stereo, but the Sirius satellite radio audio is pretty weak. Very tinny and weak. No matter how I adjust the bass/treble/mid, it still sounds kinda lame.

Any suggestions? Is it the stereo itself or the speakers? Would new speakers from Crutchfield (or somewhere) help? I LOVE the car, but am not impressed with the audio.

Comments

• laqbnlaqbn Member Posts: 5
    I have the same car with the same stereo, no satellite on mine though. I think the stereo sound great. CDs (either standard or MP3) sound really great, way better than standard systems on 99.9% of cars. My settings are: treble +3 and bass +2. I am a professional sound mixer and consider myself a music afficiaonado. The only nitpick i have with the stereo is that that volume steps on the volume knob are too drastic, one click below is too soft one click above is too loud. I hear the Dynaudio system is terrific, but I think the standard system is great also.
  • jpbranjpbran Member Posts: 37
    Thanks! I will try that... but what do you keep the Mid set at?
  • laqbnlaqbn Member Posts: 5
    No adjustment for mid. Are you sure you have the stock system?
    Yeah, it's the stock audio system (with navigation and Sirius). Non Dynaudio. The navigation moves the CD changer to the glovebox.
  • cardriver06cardriver06 Member Posts: 47
    Hello Jpbran

how to manage bass on this car?what i am trying to say is sometimes my breakers vibrate when the bass is on full.
    what to do so that my speakers wont; vibrate on this 06 2.0t passat.

thanks
    Hmmmm... not sure exactly what you're asking, cardriver06. If you're wondering how to turn down the bass, on mine you select the audio settings button (looks like a musical note), scroll to Bass, select it, then turn it down slightly. To get back to the main screen, just press Back.

That's how it works on the audio system with navigation... Hope this helps!
  • cardriver06cardriver06 Member Posts: 47
    Well let me ask this,

Why do speakers on my music system vibrate when playing loud music,Is this normal or not?.
    If this is normal,then how to listen music loudly without hearing the annyong speaker vibrations?

thankd and do let me know
    Follow-up to my audio issue (after 1700 total miles). CDs sound great. Good speaker separation, bass and treble are clear; I'm quite happy. But the Sirius is still a HUGE problem.

It sounds like an MP3 compressed at about 48 or 64-ish bit rate, instead of 128 or 160; sounds "metallic," like it is both muffled and overly compressed. The Sirius is about 50% of CD quality.

Has anyone else had this problem with Sat radio in their car? Specifically, has anyone heard of this with Sirius, or more with the VW audio system? ARGH!!!!!!
  • pophoppophop Member Posts: 2
    I was cleaning my dashboard including my Monsoon audio system face. Just using wipes, no sprays. Cleaned all the controls. When I got in the car and stated it up, I had no sound system. Won't turn on. Any thoughts? Is there a code or "secret" process to reactivate if somehow I deactivated the system? Unfortunately, I do not have an owner's manual.
  • nexxjennnexxjenn Member Posts: 1
    A couple of days ago my 2002 passat monsoon system mysteriously quit working for a couple of days. Then, as mysteriously as it quit, it started again yesterday afternoon. I don't know if it was the days of heat? or what? About 10k miles ago, my stereo started skipping radio frequencies and also the cd changer and in dash cd player started skipping. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate the problem.
  • buddysbuddys Member Posts: 1
    The Monsoon radio in my 2002 Passat exhibited a similar problem on two occasions in the 4 plus years I have owned it. On both occasions, the radio locked up, the red LED light continued to flash after the key was inserted in the ignition and the car was started, and the radio was completely dead - - the LED screen was blank, as it is when the radio is turned off. On the first occasion, the radio mysteriously started to work normally the next morning. I had no such luck on the second occasion, so I disconnected the negative terminal from the car battery, waited five minutes before reconnecting it and the radio worked normally after the reconnection. Apparently, disconnecting the radio from the battery reset something in the radio. The only downside with this solution is that disconnecting the battery also meant deleting all information from the car's clock, trip computer and odometer.
  • pophoppophop Member Posts: 2
    I posted the problem, and found a solution. Instead of disconnecting the battery, I popped the fuse to see if it was fried. Fuse was good, popped it back in and - voila - works fine and didn't require a radio code. Weird.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I've read of people doing this with the same results.

Yours was a better anwer than disconnecting the battery - funny things can happen when the juice is cut to the entire car. The throttle body might need to be reset after a battery disconnect.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Hi all. I just got my 3.6L 4Motion wagon yesterday, and I'm having probs w. the XM radio.

The XM radio was working fine last nigth (I activated it online). However, this morning the XM radio wasn't even available when pressing 'BAND.' I went into settings, and the 'XM' line was greyed out. I couldn't even select it. Any help is appreciated.
  • dave0730dave0730 Member Posts: 1
    My best friend has a 2006 Passat 2.0T and has sirius and sometimes his display on the radio displays "No Sat Radio" The dealership has changed the radio and it is still a problem for him. I like his car so much that I jut purchased a 2007 Passat 2.0T and I just had the same thing happen to me tonight. I traded in a 2006 Jetta 2.0T and I had no problems with the radio. Hope this can be fixed.
  • kiyahfltkiyahflt Member Posts: 2
    hi all, i have a problem with my 06 Jetta sound system. It goes up and down as im driving. my dealer told me it was some kind of security thing but i was wondering if he was right or just blowing me off. I like my music loud but when i turn it up it turns back down. if anyone has any type of solution please let me know.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I answered your question in the other forum that you asked it in. In the future PLEASE do not double-append. It forces us to re-read stuff over and over and is also considerd poor forum ediquete.

BTW: The person you talked to at the dealer is full of cr@p. This feature has nothing to do with security.

For your convenience, I am re-posting the answer below (just this once)
    ======================
    The radio in my 2003 Jetta has a "feature" that changes the volume with roadspeed. The intent of this feature is to overcome the noise of the tires and wind as you go faster. There are several "adjustments" for this feature. It can even be turned off if you dislike it.

As for most of the "complaints" in these forums... the answer is READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FROM COVER TO COVER. I am certain you will learn a lot about your new car that you did not even know existed.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Since this is not a Jetta discussion, let's ask that any further replies be posted at this link: kiyahflt, "Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions" #26, 29 Oct 2006 5:39 pm.

Thanks!
    Pat, the VW sound system is the same so the answer applies just the same.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Understood, but it's already in a Jetta Audio discussion and that's where further responses should be made. :)
  • dcpassydcpassy Member Posts: 2
    Ok. For the passat, can you tell me which fuse it was? When I opened the fuse box, I saw this little card with numbers that did not match up with the fuses on the box. They all had numbers repeating. So, how can I know which one goes to my radio? And is the fuse somethign I can find at an auto part store?

Thanks!
  • vwjoshvwjosh Member Posts: 2
    I have the 200 watt Monsoon in my Passat and it gets plenty loud, but I don't like the bass. The stereo seems to have the bass up ridiculously high when flat (I guess this is to compensate for the fact that without trunk-mounted speakers it's hard to get effortless natural bass). But even when I tone it down, it's never clear - this is a consistent VW problem and again probably has to do with their decision not to use the trunk. My question: is there an easy way to drop speakers in the back dash to use the trunk? Have others done this and does it sound better?
  • vwjoshvwjosh Member Posts: 2
    Looking for someone who knows what's possible about non-invasive upgrades to a not so good stereo - I posted the #25 of 25, but no answer.

My 1999 Passat's stereo just doesn't hit the low lows, because there's not chamber to resonate, and unfortunately VW appears to try to make up for this by over amplifying the 200 to 300 cycle range. Do I have to get a subwoofer? Is it easy to run the back speaker wires to the back dash and cut holes - and if I do will the crossover foil me?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Anybody have this system in there 2006 plus Passat? I'd like to learn more about the system, but VW doesn't offer much information.
  • kcejfankcejfan Member Posts: 8
    I have not received my 2007 VW Passat Wagon yet -- I ordered it end of November06 with a delivery date sometime around the end of February 07....but I did order the Dynaudio system because a high quality sound system was VERY important in my 8-plus month search for a new vehicle. Please check out this web site (below) I was blown away by the quality of the sound when I spent an hour sitting in a 07 VW Passat last October listening to my CD's on a Dynaudio system. When I went to the web site I found out WHY!...it explained the impressive and sophisticated engineering that went into designing this sound system...be sure and check all the links as it explains in detail each design element...Dynaudio played a critical element in my decision to go with the Passat and I can hardly wait to take it on a road trip next Spring...Dynaudio is worth EVERY PENNY of the extra charge it you appreciate high fidelity music. ENJOY. PS: I also had someone advise me to get the Dynaudio system when I asked him about his new Passat I saw his wife drop him off at the subway last fall
    http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/passat.php?sid=4593131e8c9a3
  • acsittigacsittig Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Passat Wagon with the factory-installed Monsoon stereo. I bought it used last August, and in October the CD player stopped working in the midst of playing a CD. The radio and tape players still work. When I insert a CD, it ejects it and displays an ERR message. The dealership I bought it from and the VW dealerships around all told me they are not certified to repair Monsoon systems, and independent car audio shops are not authorized to look at them. Any idea what might be wrong with it or where I can get it fixed? Thanks.
    CD players are delicate precesion devices. The aiming of the lazer is very precice. We have become accustomed to CD players being reliable... but there is a lot that can go wrong with them. Noone actually "fixes" a CD reader... the guts are simply replaced.

You may be better off looking for a "used" Monsoon system from somone that upgraded theirs.

IMPORTANT: Make CERTAIN you get the "code" that goes with it otherwise it will be unusable.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    So what if they are not a certified Monsoon system repair center! They sold you the car! Do they expect you to remove the radio and wear it around your neck? Are you going to just lay back and learn to like it? They are in the business to answer your questions about a product they sold you. Ask them. If that doesn't work ask them forcefully. I don't believe the meek shall inherit the Earth.
  • bavbav Member Posts: 1
    Evening Folks,
    I've just purchased a 2001 Volkswagen Passt which is fitted with a 'Gamma' Model radio which i think is made by Blaupunkt.

When i purchased the car from an auction, everything worked apart from the radio which i assumed didnt work as the battery was almost dead so i assumed it must've gone into shut-down mode and didn't start due to insufficient power in the battery.

now the car is working fine, starts ok, but their is still no power to the radio and cd player (separate units as i've got both tape & cd).

i cant work out the fuse layout as the fuse layout card doesn't tell you what fuse it should be, and the fuse reqd.

any help in sorting out this issue is very very much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Bav.
    As I recall, there are some "tricks" to resetting the radio after the battery dies.

I think it involves pulling a fuse for awhile and perhaps even holding down some sequence of buttons on the radio.

I know that does not help you much... but there is hope for your radio 8-)
  • rachael3rachael3 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 07 Passat and want to connect my iPod through the Aux jack in the glove box but be able to control it through the stereo. Can someone point me toward what connector I would need? I've been searching the internet but everything seems to need to be hard-wired. I just want to plug something in easily.
  • wazmeisterwazmeister Member Posts: 1
    First you need a single stereo cable for the aux input. A 6 ft length is good (find at RadioShack). Snake cable from aux input thru back of glovebox along the center console to
    convenient spot and connect to your ipod. I plan on using velcro to attach the ipod to a convenient spot on the console. Press the CD button twice on your radio and you will see AUX ext. Start ipod and you're set. You might need to adjust the volume on the ipod higher. I just got an 07 Passat and I have to do the install myself. Enjoy
  • rachael3rachael3 Member Posts: 2
    Are you able to control your iPod through the stereo (e.g. navigating through playlists, etc)?
  • oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2006 3.6 with navigation. Does anyone know if you can use the steering wheel audio buttons to go thru the pre set stations? Our other vehicle does have that ability to go thru al of the pre-sets from the steering wheel.
    Thanks
  • knorris131knorris131 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 Passat wagon and everything on it is great - except the radio. It has a message on the display that says "Check." It will not respond to anything except the power button. I can turn it on and off and that is all. Does anyone know what causes this and if there is something that can be done about it short of replacing it?

Thanks
  • peregoyperegoy Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know how the In-Dash 6-CD unit is supposed to mix across CDs? Obviously, it should be able to shuffle songs on one CD, as it has done for me. But there are 2 other options: CatFldr and Mag. I thought that the Mag option would mix across up to all 6-CDs in the Magazine (depending on how many are loaded) by shuffling to the next CD after each song. The dealer thinks that it mixes across the 1st CD, then the 2nd, 3rd, etc. instead of picking up the next song on a consecutive CD. I suppose I could see where this would slow things down a bit as changing to another CD manually causes a longer pause while it mechanically moves one out and the other in.
  • vdubs06vdubs06 Member Posts: 6
    I have the standard audio system that the car came with (NO satellite radio) and I have an ipod that I would like to play in the car. As most of you who own the 06 are aware, the car does not come equipped w/an aux jack. Therefore, the ONLY way I KNOW of to play my ipod would be to buy some external device (such as the DLO Transpod or the Belkin Tunecast). Is there ANY other way to play my ipod without the use of an external device that plays through the radio waves and/or installing a new system. And IF NOT, has anyone installed an ipod-ready system in their 06 vehicle? And how do they like it?

Any help anyone could provide would be great.

***Also as an FYI to '06 Passat owners (and some other VW models), the compressors in the car have been found to be faulty and IF anyone notices their A/C taking about 10mins or longer to blow cool air- BRING BACK to dealership and have them REPLACE the compressor. SO many people have had the prob that I'm actually waiting on one on NATIONAL BACKORDER at the moment. Allegedly, VW would have placed a recall on such only that it would cost them so much money they cannot afford to do so. My car is currently in the shop as we speak (been there for a wk already!) and I've only had it 10mos!!! And as most of you know, the Northeast is experiencing a heat wave at the moment and so a non-functioning A/C on a 10-mo old car just didn't fly with me. =)

IF anyone has any questions pertaining to the 06 model or would like to talk about it, drop a msg bc I'm looking for other people with the car to talk to.
  • jldannajldanna Member Posts: 1
    I recently leased a 2007 Passat and really love my car. The car is currently has a single CD player and I would like to purchase a 6 CD Changer that will need to be mounted in the Glove Box. The 6 CD Changer that may be purchased thru VW is $500.00. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to buy a lessor expensive 6 CD Changer and will I need other items in order to install, i.e., will I need to buy a magazine, mounting kit, etc? I previously had a 2000 Passat and the 6 CD Changer was mounted in the trunk and was way less money. Thanks for any help!
  • jdhebert23jdhebert23 Member Posts: 19
    I am interested in changing my OEM antenna on my 01.5 Passat to a shark fin antenna. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me where I can find a multifunctional shark fin antenna that will catch AM/FM + Satellite. I heard the BMW 7-series uses a multifunctional antenna, and possibly the Touareg as well as some Audis. If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it. I know it would probably be a lot of trouble to set it up, but I still want to know if it can be done, and how.

One more thing--if there isn't a multifunctional shark fin available that I'm looking for, will the 06 Passat multifunctional antenna fit on mine?
  • ihehnerihehner Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 2.0T Passat and it didn't come with either owners manual and or 2nd key. Do you have any idea how get those? How has your overall experience been with the car and are there things to look out for? Did you get the iPod to work?
  • vdubs06vdubs06 Member Posts: 6
    As for the owners manual, you will probably need to go back to the dealer to obtain that. Mine came in a little black binder and my sales rep gave it to me the day I came in to pick up the car. It has dividers in it for each section. It's pretty nicely organized. They even have a section at the end for maintenance intervals and you can have the dealer stamp it each time you have the scheduled maintenance performed.

As for the key- I dunno why but I want to say that my sales rep told us that you're only supposed to get one...but bc we insisted on having another, somehow he was able to obtain another...I think he said IF you EVER need to replace the key, that they cost $200 bc of the design of it (a keyfob). I could be wrong. Maybe they're supposed to give you 2, but I seem to remember my sales rep telling us they don't give out second keys...but he got one for us bc we insisted we needed one. You may want to check with another VW owner to find out whether they received 2 keys.

As for my overall experience with the car- it's been good- though I have had one major issue and a few minor ones. First off, let me warn you that if you're A/C goes on the car, GET that car to the dealer IMMEDIATELY and have them replace the compressor. The 06's have faulty compressors. I had to have mine replaced and UNFORTUNATELY it happened during a heatwave. They replaced it free of charge THOUGH they were NOT so quick to diagnose the problem! I brought it to their attention bc I found A LOT of info on the web about it.

Once I got the car back, the AC was fine. No problems AT ALL. The A/C was fine UP until the point the compressor went AS WELL. It's just that all of a sudden one day in the middle of a heatwave, my car started taking MORE than the norm to cool down. It was taking about 10-15mins INSTEAD of about 2-3mins. It woudl blow air the temp of the air outside the car.

Since I had that prob taken care of, I've ONLY had minor little things go wrong. My driver side visor does not light. My window lock button does not work. The driver side visor light is a common problem. I've spoken to other people with that problem. Next time I have my oil changed, I'll have them order the part.

Other than that, I LOVE everything about the car. It runs smoothly. It runs fairly quietly. It's got great pickup. It's a beautiful car. You name it. I like it.

Just one thing to beware of AT FIRST is that the car has a tendency to EAT oil...You may need to add oil BEFORE You go for your first oil change. I NEEDED desperately to add oil to mine. I was only about 2500 miles in or so when it DESPERATELY needed oil. But since then, I have NOT had to add oil in btwn changes. I'm at about 11000miles now...I've had the car a little over a year and just to be safe- I've had 2 oil changes already. My third one is coming up. At first I brought the car in at about 3000miles or so just to be safe...then at about 7500 or so. Now I'm taking it in in intervals of 5000miles bc it's synthetic oil which can stay in the car longer than the norm.

Lastly as for the ipod- I haven't looked much into it since I last posted. I can play the ipod through the radio with the help of the DLO Transpod but it's NOT clear at all times. I was looking for a way to play it through the car stereo itself...and not have to play it through the radio waves...unfortunately I dunno that there is a way to do that with this car since it doesn't have an auxiliary jack. At least mine doesn't. My model is the model without the satellite radio. I think it's like one above the value model. It's the 2.0T but NOT the value edition. Yet, it still doesn't have satellite radio. It doesn't have that little black fin on the back.

Anyhow hope this answers some of your questions. I know when I first got the car I had SO MANY questions (as it was my FIRST VW) but no one to answer them. I hope I was able to answer them and give you some detail. Good luck with the car! Keep me posted!
    Contrary to what you may have been told... a new VW comes with 3 keys.... 2 are the flip-open keyfobs and one is a "valet" key which will only start the engine.

It is VERY strongly suggested that when you purchase a used VW to INSIST on getting all the keys (or write into the contract that the seller will pay for any missing keys) Do not forget, when you are negotiating the the sale.... YOU are in full control about what is written into the contract.

Of couirse, you may negotiate a reduced price in lew of any missing keys. (assume $120 per missing key!)
  • gvogelgegvogelge Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my car with the Sirius satellite radio - but after a few trips to the dealer - that have resulted in an entirely new system, I'm still having problems. I only get what seems to be the first station in each category - so 1 station in Hits, 1 in Rock, 1 in news, etc. I do not have a manual specific to the satellite radio, but am thinking that I am doing something wrong. Do the units come loaded only with a few stations you can access? When using the tuner button, again, it jumps from station 1 to 015 to 021. etc. Or, is there a way to set it up so I can go from 001 to 002, etc?

I'm finding it hard to believe that two different units would only receive in these few stations. It is more likely user error. Please help - I'd like to listen to more than espn news.

Thanks.
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    I have the 08 2.0 turbo auto. I played the star war music CD and it's loud and clear and clean. Just lack a little base. I wonder if and how we can add a subwoofer to it. I am not saying to add a big box to rattle things and people nearby, just wantting to add some clean base for music at low volumes.

Another thing: I saw on the Passat photo there is an antenna on the top of the roof, in the middle just above rear windshield glass. Is that for satellite radio? The diversity antenna is only available on the comfort and above model. Mine is the base model turbo. I wonder where my antenna is. my radio does get clear signals, though.
    It does not display the band and frequency of the station. Instead it displays the clock time that is beeing displayed on the clock display in front of steering wheel. I think it's not right or it's just simply stupidly designed that way.
  • fieldsefieldse Member Posts: 4
    I just found out that some of the 2008 3.6 Station Wagons didn't come with the DynoAudio sound system standard even though the invoice states that it did due to a production issue. Volkswagen called me yesterday and offered me $1000 plus sales tax for my inconvenience. I was told that the DynoAudio system couldn't be installed after market. Any comments??
    Take the cash and buy a nice subwoofer for your home theater unless you over paid much more than a grand. I am not a fan of car audio, though.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am wondering if the 08 Passat Komfort, Premium Audio System has a factory Amplifier? Not the Dynaudio, but the Premium..? It sounds so clean and powerful, but I never really got to turn it up too loud, but hopefully it doesn't distort too easily.

My mothers 04 Jetta has the Monsoon, and I love it! It has a factory Amp in the trunk, but, I looked at the Passat and haven't seen one yet... I am hoping there is one, that will be all the better, I love my music!

Please let me know.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I was also wondering those that have a newer passat, like 2006-2008. Those that have the Premium Stereo system, those with the 6disc, how would you describe the overall sound, does it play loud and clear? Please let me know...
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    They have a new Media interface for VW. Works with iPod, USB, and aux in. Full integration of the iPod but requires an iPod cable that is sold seperately. Sadly it needs a harness but it's required for full MFI integration. It shows what song you are listening to. Sadly it doesn't work on the current VW radios. Only RNS-510, and RCD-510. RCD-310 is also supported. Maybe it works on them but is guaranteed comaptible with those 3.

The RNS-510 however is coming for the 09 models. It's an Improved touch screen navigation system with dynaudio support. Supports the MDI very well and the European skoda bluetooth kit. RNS-510 has Built in sirius radio and live Sirius traffic. This system can be retrofitted but needs the US maps and a sirius antenna extension cable. The hard drive can store maps and 17.67 GB of your favorite tunes. SD card is a plus. Has DVD Video, MP3, and WMA. Can play DVD movies while in park. Only works up to 2 GB SD cards.

VW is also planning an RCD-510. The RCD-510 has the same touchscreen display but no navigation. Same bluetooth integration. No hard drive for music but has a SD Card slot. RCD-510 has a 6 disc CD changer. No sirius traffic but Sirius SAT radio will also be included in the US version. No DVD Movie support but has MP3 and WMA. Great for those who prefer portable over OEM integration. Can have a nice OEM touch screen but no navigation. VW wants to have touch screen controls and this is what they are planning.
This discussion has been closed.