Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Audio/Entertainment Questions

Comments

• forbiddenforbidden Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone have any feedback, pos or neg, about the valor dvd rear entertainment system sold @ costco? Im considering it but I've never heard of Valor. Just looking for a quality unit for a decent price.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Check out their installation area, see if it looks professional, clean, well equipped. I'm not sure how much stuff like that Costco works on.

I went to Circuit City for mine, a 12.1" Jenson DVD. It was on sale at the time for $900.

The install was OK - not perfect. They were not that neat, and they hooked up the dome light to the driver's door instead of hooking it up to the main light switch relay on the dash. Not a big deal, but not perfect.

The DVD has worked well but for some reason the remote isn't working, maybe it needs batteries.

The 12" screen is beautiful and the headphones work like a charm. Also, the aux input on the Sienna's stereo plugs directly to the output on the back of the DVD player, so the in-car sound is perfect. Cool thing is I found out you can use a spare wire from your computer speakers, too.

Overall I'm happy, just check out the installers, make sure they know what they're doing.
  • cadman3cadman3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Rick,

I just purchased a 2005 Sienna and am dealing with the same thing you were. It has the rear audio on the roof. Just wondering if you found a cord to allow you to put up a non-factory DVD player or did you bite the bullet and purchase a factory DVD player.

Thanks for any info.

Tom
  • alankangalankang Member Posts: 1
    HI. I just started having the same problem on my 2004 LE. Were you able to resolve the problem?
    I'm wondering if I need to take it to the dealer or some local car stereo shop...

Any information from you will be very helpful
  • kevkhakevkha Member Posts: 1
    The AUX in is intended for audio input only. The controls are intended for CD with MP3 songs on it. Burn a CD with your favorite songs in MP3 and check it out.
  • julia21136julia21136 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I got my basic '08 Sienna LE after driving Chevy Venture '01 for a few years .
    I love my new car, but the sound system is HORRIBLE.
    Whenever i would like to HEAR something and crank up the sound it just makes is louder, but not clearer, so i still cannot hear it.

While driving rental Sienna i noticed the same poor quality of sound. Granted, i have no idea what was in my old van had, but i want it back.

My car's been recked a few weeks ago, so the doors need to be re-assembled now. It will be worked on in the next few weeks, and i thought it might be a good opportunity to make it to my liking.

Honestly, i am pretty clueless about what the car sound system is/supposed to be. My Toyota sales rep i spoke to yesterday told me that LE has "the best sound system" but that obviously not working for me.

Any advise - please please - would be greatly appreciated.
    I live in northwest Baltimore county.

Sincerely
    Julia
    You probably have the same system I have.

High-end packages on the LE models and XLE models have JBL sound, and those are a lot better.

The basic system is OK, but if you're an audiophile I would look at an aftermarket upgrade. You can probably do better for the cost of the OE JBL system.
  • pickanyonepickanyone Member Posts: 12
    I am thinking of buying an 09 XLE with nav. Does the toyota ipod adapter allow you to control the ipod thru the nav's touch screen?
  • dwijitdwijit Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an 05 sienna, and had to have the dvd player replaced, I had a factory dvd player put in, and since I never saw its predecessor work, I have no idea on how to switch the sound over from headphones, to stereo speakers. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • tanker5tanker5 Member Posts: 36
    I have an '06 Sienna with entertainment center. When I want to play the DVD disc from the DVD player in the back over the radio speaker system I press Disc/Aux on the dashboard. Tanker
  • aflandersaflanders Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

When I want to listen to a DVD w/o head phones, I press the AUX button on my radio. Sometimes you have to press it twice.

Good luck.
  • dwijitdwijit Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a bunch, Tanker!!!! I can't believe it was that simple!!! Who would have thunk it? I must have read the entire manual on the dvd player, and not one place did I run across this answer!!!! Thanks again!!!!
  • vinijinvinijin Member Posts: 28
    I want to buy 09 Sienna LE with JBL sound system and DVD player. I want to install in Dash Navigation with rear view camera. What are pros and cons for doing this ? Will I loose my bluetooth capabilities ? What other features will I loose because they will replace existing CD player with Aftermarket navigation/CD player ? I will really appreciate your comments
    You may lose the audio controls on the steering wheel. Make sure whatever you buy has a harness that accomodates Toyota's controls for those.
  • chipmunk226chipmunk226 Member Posts: 1
    Can a 2006 Sienna play mp3/WMA files off of a DVD?
    I have a 2007 with the base 6CD (not premium sound) and for me the answer was No.

It will play MP3s and WMA files recorded on a CD, but when I tried with a DVD-R it spit out the disc.
  • njhtdnnjhtdn Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2007 Sienna - limited, with a couple options for customizing audio / video. The first one is the AUX port (assume that would work great for our ipod with a mini-pin connector) but we recently bought a Touch, downloaded some videos, connected the Touch to the 3-wire cables in back (audio, video, etc.) and what we ended up with is the video on the built-in DVD player and the audio on the wireless headphones. Since we have a little one who HATES headphones, does anyone know a way to make this work - without just adding a small speakerk off the headphone jack on the DVD player? I looked at the manual, but since the Touch is realatively new, it didn't address anything like that - that I've found.

Thanks!
    I realize this is a very old post, but did you ever figure this out?? We have the same need with the Mac Touch - except wanting video with the audio - over the whole system - thanks!
    I have a 2006 and I just activate the Aux button on the dash and the DVD sound is now on the radio speakers and broadcasts to the rear as well. No headsets are required. The problem is then that you donot have have separate speakers for sound from a radio station or CD for the driver /passenger. Tanker5
  • skluzskluz Member Posts: 5
    We just purchased a 2009 Sienna. We're loving it but we're currently unable to get the rear entertainment center's video input audio to broadcast over the vehicle's speakers. The speakers always broadcast what's playing on the DVD input when we have the front stereo switched to the Disc/Aux mode. The wireless headphones are able to switch when the two inputs are selected which makes me think this is either as designed or a wiring problem that we're going to have to take the thing into have fixed.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm really hoping I'm just missing a button somewhere. So far the Sienna has been a great vehicle with a ton of features. It's just disappointing when things don't work as expected.
    Unfortunately that doesn't work - maybe a modification to the 2007 - it does work when playing a DVD - but not when conncect to an auxillary item like the touch - or in our future possibly gaming devices, so trying to figure it out, but I think it was an oversight on Toyota's part.
    I think it's an oversight. We just went and bought a small external speaker to make due until we figure it out - mounted it to thed side of the DVD player mounting (by the volume control) and are going to use that until our little one decides it's ok to use headphones.

We did use the remote and tried all options this weekend - so I really don't think it's anything you're missing - just not an option :( Maybe not enough people asking about it for it to be fixed - I'll have to ask at the dealership next time I go for service.
  • valval1valval1 Member Posts: 4
    My primary question is: Is it possible to add a headphone Jack to the dash? The Aux is an input and I'm looking for an output for headphones for driver or passenger... Didn't know if the Toyota radio has something that would allow for that... or if one of the products below do?

I am using this to install Sirius (includes VAIS SLS2 and Sirius SCC1:
    http://www.tss-radio.com/toyota-siri...ry-p-4471.html

VAIS also has a product for iPod integration but it's like $225 so not sure if I"ll add that as well:
    http://www.vaistech.com/sl2i.php

I"ll also check out DICE and the mp3guys.com

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!
    Can I ask where you got the speaker. What kind/model is it?
    We ended up finding a small speaker at the Apple Store - can't remember the name (about $50 - single unit - battery opperated :(. However, we also may have figured out another option. Before we had the van and vehicles with AUX input, we used an FM Transmitter to play music from our Ipod to our stereo. We realized we could probably do the same with our Touch. So, we went to our local electronics store, and found Griffin made one that went through the headphone jack (rather the the charging jack needed to hook up to the inputs in the van.) While we haven't tried it yet, we are pretty sure it will take care of our problem - with a few cords that we'll have to tame as we go. But, I think this should take care of it!
    What product is that?

I'm a little unsure about what you're trying to do but the speakers caught my eye in your post. I'd like my daughter to be able to watch dvd without the headphones but still allow me the driver to hear my own audio (CD or satellite) in the front.
    In our old car, she had an added external dvd player with it's own built in speaker. Headphones are a little difficult for her as she's not quite 3 yet.
  • gxrantgxrant Member Posts: 3
    I am currently looking to buy a 2009 Toyota Sienna LE the website said the radio has satellite radio capability, does that mean all i need a subscription or will i need to install an antenna and so forth, meaning it really isnt any more satellite capable than any other standard radio?

Thanks,

Grant
    I believe Toyota has to install a receiver and antenna which they charge about 500-600 dollars to buy and install... There is a satellite button in the car.

I ended up getting a 2006 so I need an after market "bridge" piece AND a receiver and antenna so it's like buying an extra piece. However, it's still less money than through Toyota and I still will be able to operate it through the Sienna's NAV screen... So the 09 is more satellite ready but it's not in there already either!
  • eddieraseddieras Member Posts: 49
    valva1 is correct - i just bought an XLE (yesterday!) and the dealer wanted $559 to install xm - instead i mounted my skyfi2 cradle just to the right of the heated seat buttons and not only saved the $559 but also the extra $8.99/ month for a second subscription. too bad it's so expensive- nice to have it all integrated but the skyfi2 has better controls anyway - i love tuneselect which the factory doesn't have (i've been told)
    i've read about noise problems when using the aux input with a device that plugs into the cigarette problem. anyone notice this? i have an xm skyfi2 that needs external power.
    this issue did force a recall on other older toyotas but i'm uncertain of the 09 sienna. could someone shine a light on this issue?
    thanks
    anyone? i just confirmed that this is still an issue with sienna's. i just got my cable and tried it with xm and there is a noticeable hum
    I found a Toyota Service Bulletin on this very issue- with numerous models thru '08 - unfortunately not the Sienna, though the problem is obviously the same. I went to my dealer tuesday and they checked it over and confirmed the issue as the same and opened a case with Toyota on it. So hopefully in the very near future Toyota will have a fix for the Sienna as well.

Anyone else with this issue??
  • toyota070500toyota070500 Member Posts: 1
    Own 05' Sienna with factory entertainment system. System worked fine until battery drained when dome lights left on. I have tried to reset the system by disconnecting battery, but it did not help. Is there a setting that is hidden or another solution?
    Usually there are 3 switch locations, on, off, and door. Set it to door so it closes when the doors are all closed.

Otherwise you may have to add an aftermarket battery-minder to stop it from going dead.
  • poenypoeny Member Posts: 4
    My wife drove our 2006 Sienna XLE AWD with JBL for 3 years and loved the sound. I needed to buy another van earlier this year and got a 2009 Sienna XLE with DVD and plenty of stuff but no JBL. The van is fine and does what we need it to except for the sound. This is not her primary vehicle and she hates the sound system. Stations she listens to don't come in as well (standard antenna and stereo on the 2009 vs. diversity antenna and JBL on the 2006), and CDs / iPod don't do it for her in the 2009.

None of the add on shops I have taked with will touch an upgrade as they say it will prevent the DVD from working (I thought it was a standalone DVD with an AUX input to the head unit but they say it won't work).

Does Toyota sell a JBL system that can be installed in the van after it was manufactured? Failing that is there any after market unit that will work with the DVD system? It all sounds expensive to me but she is not very happy and ....
  • poenypoeny Member Posts: 4
    Oops. This should have said "This is now her primary ..."
    Poeny
    I see no one has replied yet, so I'll take a crack.Asyou know the JBL is an upgrade with list of $1050 and I'm sure Toyota would order it for you. There is a lot of info at google "part no. for jbl radio in Toyota Sienna minivan" and "http://www.oemvalue.com/toyota.htm" to see the off markets. If I recall it is important to get the Toyota harness with the coreect number of pins that match the amplifier so everything works appropriately from the steering wheel. If I find more data I'll place it on the web. I love my 2006 XLE and hope you like yours. Tanker
    I wonder, though, what other differences there are.

I recall that when I shopped for an Toyota in-dash GPS option, they told me the steering wheel audio controls would only work if I had the JBL system. So the plug for those controls must differ as well.
  • acrumbackeracrumbacker Member Posts: 1
    Is there an aftermarket stereo that will fit my van with all the OEM functionality?
    In looking at the non-OEM units, it appears they will not work with the on-the-steering-column-controls. Is this correct? Then there is the adapters necessary to make an aftermarket unit work. My current unit is an AD1702 (amfm/cassette with no cd) that evidently shorted out internally and drained the battery. Pulled the fuse so not a problem at this point.

New non OEM units are quite nice in functionality but dropping an OEM compatible unit in with all the existing connectors does have a value to me and I do really like the steering column controls. At $1000+ new, OEM units are WAY out of consideration. Any help appreciated.
  • mharnishfegermharnishfeger Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I have an 04 Sienna and installed a Kenwood head unit in it. When I did so I lost the video on my DVD rear entertainment system. I purchased the Kenwood through Crutchfield and they said you cannot change out the Toyota stereo and keep the DVD working. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Is there a third party making a wiring harness that will handle this? What options do I have?
    Thanks!!
    How strange that the DVD depends on the radio like that. Odd.

You could put an aftermarket stand-alone DVD player in its place (they probably would only use the power input). I've seen OE screen sizes for $600 or less installed.
    More importantly, which Kenwood unit did you get? Does it have a GPS?
  • user27user27 Member Posts: 1
    My kids accidently put the coins inside the player and now its not working, it trys to load whenever we start the car, don't know how to take the coin out or how to remove the entire mp3 player from the car.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    dk
    Wow, you've got quite a project ahead of you.

I doubt you can do that without taking the whole thing apart, or at least taking it out of the dash.

If you go through all that trouble, how 'bout just getting an in-dash GPS installed in its place, something like the new Kenwood system with Garmin navigation?

May as well turn it in to an upgrade.
  • minniemouse27minniemouse27 Member Posts: 7
    We just picked up a new to us 2008 LE w/ the non JBL radio (6 cd changer) and are trying to figure out what our options are. We do NOT have the DVD entertainment system.

We currently have two Sirius accounts, one for our VW and one for a portable Stiletto (including car kit) that was in our former 2nd vehicle.

"I" would like to looking into getting a replacement radio that would include Sirius as well as allow us to utilize the steering wheel controls. Dh isn't too keen on paying for a third Sirius account and would like to install the car kit for the Stiletto in the Sienna and possibly install a head unit that he had in our former car (It is a nice unit... a Kenwood I think).

Am I right to assume that if we install the head unit we have the steering wheel controls won't work?

What would be necessary to get our current factory unit to utilize Sirius? ...and how can they say that it is satellite ready when it really isn't??

Is there a list out there of compatible head units that work well w/ the Sienna?

Dh isn't interested in the JBL system available from Toyota...I can't type the comments he had about it here in a family forum!

We have a Panasonic two screen portable DVD player for the kids to use on long trips... we are happy w/ how it works so we weren't too concerned when the used LE that we were looking at didn't have the upgraded entertainment package.

I also saw mention of an integrated GPS unit... this may be of some interest to us down the road. We have a Tom Tom right now that works fine but I'd like to hear info on the integrated units as well if anyone has any!

I'd appreciate any insight anyone may have.
    DK
    Suggest using a shop vac with its high suction capability and a small narrow crevice tool from your vac. If there is anything loose in your mps player it will break loose and end up in your vac collector. Good luck. Tanker
    I have an 07 with the same stereo and when I looked in to the option of getting the Toyota in-dash GPS from a Solara (they're best unit) I was told I would lose the steering wheels controls no matter what. Apparently the JBL systems don't.

I'm not sure why, just sharing the info.

Aftermarket vendors do sell adaptors, but I'd make sure they'll work with your Sienna before going that route.

I ended up going aftermarket. 12" DVD screen on the roof, power was pre-wired so the installer said it was cake.

For the GPS I use a Garmin with a dash mount. That gets it close enough for me to type without leaning forward.
  • niedensniedens Member Posts: 1
    OK, sitting in my car, board out of my mind while my kids are watching sesame street, that is running off my ipod, through the audio connector in back, and listening from a puny set of speakers I bought from walmart (that has no audio power what-so-ever) that i had plugged into the headphone plug on the side of the dvd player, WHEN IT DAWNED ON ME!! I took the AUX cord and connected it directly from the headphone plug on the side of the dvd player to the AUX port in the front of the car, and voila sound through the main speakers in the car!!! YAY!!!
    Glad that worked. Simple and effective fix.
  • chelltoppchelltopp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna XLE with the JBL Audio System with DVD and Navigation (expired subscription) factory installed (has the AM/SAT button). I'd prefer not to use XM Satellite radio with a subscription, and install a HD RADIO TUNER to the existing JBL audion system. Has anyone done this? What would I need to buy?