Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• grayhacklegrayhackle Member Posts: 4
    It finally occured to me that you must have a 4 cylinder. Not sure where their filter is located. I have a V-6 and easily accessable.
    Sorry if I screwed my first post up! Not a mechanic, but do a lot of my maintenance on my vehicles.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    That explains the difference. On the previous generation 4-cylinder (1992-2001), the filter was easily accessible from the top.
  • peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    You should read the owners' manual for what needs to be done in scheduled maintenance.

You dont need to replace the plug cables for 200K miles unless the engine runs rough and misfires, then look at the cables, ignition coil, ditributor cap etc...

You dont need fuel injection service at 60K miles. Just use a full tank of premium fuel with a bottle of injector cleaner added ot it. I should clean the injectors up. This cleaning methos is actually safer and prbably better than opening the fuel injection system up when dust can get into the jet.
  • peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    Yep.

For long term reliability ad durability, use Toyota parts as much as you can, including coolant, oil and transmission fluid.

Most after-market brake pads would squeak and squeal and are hard on the rotors. Toyota pads are engineered specifically for the car therefore would brake better, last longer and are quieter. The prices are very close.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    tried after-market brake pads from a local break shop, big mistake. Won't even last for 12 months. End up costing more since I had to take it to a dealer and have the break re done.
  • denmandenman Member Posts: 19
    I have always changed the oil in a new car at around 1000 miles, but is this really necessary to change early. I have a 2005 Camry SE with the 3.3 V6 with 1200 miles on it. Any opinions?

Thanks Dennis
    Absolutely not necessary, unless 6 months have elapsed.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I just got my SE-V6 3 weeks ago. Curious about your gas mileage. I got 20 on the first tank of mostly city driving. Have you made a trip or gone thru a tank on highway driving?
  • ajnyajny Member Posts: 6
    I think I heard somewhere that the manufacturer puts in special engine oil for the break in period and this oil should be changed after 1000 miles. Now, I must add that I heard this about 8 ro 10 years back and it was a generic comment, not specific to Toyota, and I could be wrong about all this.
    However, I also just bought a new Camry and would be also like to hear any comments about this.
    BTW- I got 30 mpg on my first tank of gas, but over 95% of my driving is highway driving.
    "I think I heard somewhere that the manufacturer puts in special engine oil for the break in period and this oil should be changed after 1000 miles."

If that was the case, it would say so in the owner's manual. I have read just the opposite, i.e., the "special oil" should not be changed until the first recommended oil change interval. I think it's urban legend.
  • nardnard Member Posts: 1
    My camry 2004 just pass 15,000 mileages and the maint required light is on. I have been doing the oil change every 3000 since I got the car.[not myself- profession mechanist]

I have called different places to ask for the quote but every where they tell me a different price from $45 -$240.
    I just want to know what are the things I would supposed to do?

Another question I have no clue where is my operation manual book is when the light was on trying to look for the book but I couldn't find. Anybody know where I will buy one?
    Just change your oil when called for in the owner's manual, or a little sooner, if you prefer. I change mine around 3500-4000 miles.

The 2004-05 Camry's "maintenance required" indicator light remains on continuously after each 5000-mile interval; it blinks 12 times when you start the car for 500 miles before that. Resetting the light is easy; it's explained in the owner's manual. Don't have a manual? You should be able to order one through the dealer.
    I also got 20 mpg on my first fill up and that was all city driving. I do a mix of city and highway about 50 to 85 miles a week highway and around 150 miles city and I have been averaging 23.5 mpg. Haven't had it on a trip yet. I have about 1300 miles on the car so far, had 5 weeks.
  • beto3beto3 Member Posts: 3
    You are not loosing anything, but your TIME and a very little money. To be 100% save I would recommend to change the oil every th 1,000 miles

:shades:
    ... is WAY too often. Denman said he's only had the car for five weeks, 1300 miles.
  • kirspinkirspin Member Posts: 5
    Change it every 3,000 miles, its very cheap insurance! I do this with both of my vehicles, one a Toyota Camry and the other a GMC Van. Kirspin
  • edavisedavis Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know which spark plugs are right for this model, I would prefer Bosch or NKG I think.... I have searched the net but have not yet found the answer. I would also appreciate if anyone could help me out with an owner's manual. Will pay for postage etc. Also if there are any good resource sites on the net covering this model I would be very happy to hear about it! Great car! Black spark plugs right now, but very few other problems, I cant even think of any! :)
  • sjv1944sjv1944 Member Posts: 6
    We purchased a 2005 Toyota Camry three weeks ago. When I asked the dealer's service dept. about oil changes they recommended 3000 mile intervals with conventional oil. When I asked about using synthetic oil and the 5000 mile interval the manual calls for, they said that they do not use synthetic oil, that Toyota does not recommend it for their engines. When I asked why, they said it was "too slick". Does that sound reasonable? I have no experience with synthetic oils. Also, they want to change the transmission fluid at 30,000 miles. I have gone 50,000 miles with previous cars with no problems.
    The dealer is going to recommend the service schedule that puts to most money in his pocket. My son recently took his Matrix in for the 30K service which should have run about $200. He got a quote for over $600. He rejected a couple of items (tune-up, fuel filter) that got it down to $400 but he still paid for service he didn't need (fuel injector cleaning, transmission service).

Your best (and cheapest) bet is to follow the owner's manual schedule. That will be everything Toyota recommends to keep your warranty intact.
    If this is a 2.0 liter gasoline engine, the both the Bosch and NGK sites show the plug models that fit. I would assume any autoparts store would also.
    My TOYOTA dealer does offer synthetic oil if you want to (just cost more)

I believe synthetic oil is better use for cars that have higher mileage. I have a 97 Camry (106k) and has been using regular oil every 3-4k miles. Until last time the service manager suggested me to use synthetic oil. Yes, it's about $10-$15 more but he said the interval is for 5k miles so I don't have to go there as often.

I guess it makes sense to me.

But I don't think a new car need synthetic oil, it just a waste. I do believe every 3k mile oil change is too often even using just regular oil (However I still do it because I think if I am spending that much money for a new car and $3-$5 just for a coffee, no, they called it expresso. $30-$40 for the oil change I can live with it EVEN THOUGH I DO BELIEVE it is not necessary)
  • xpfshostxpfshost Member Posts: 35
    Why not just change the oil every 5K miles like the manual says? If it was necessary to change it sooner, I would think the manual would say so. As far as I'm concerned (and Toyota for that matter), as long as you've done the required maintenance in the manual, your warranty/warranties are in good standing.

xpfshost
  • kkk2kkk2 Member Posts: 1
    I want to change the oil on my 2005 Camry V4 - it doesnt have a bolt for a drain plug, but a "hex key" type plug . Can someone tell me the size of hex key I need to buy? I am thinking its 12 mm or 14 mm.

Thank you!!!
    Are you sure you know what you are doing? The "hex key" (allen wrench) will undo the automatic transmission drain plug.

The oil pan on the inline 4-cylinder (not a "V4") engine has a 14 mm conventional bolt. There's a fiber-type washer behind the bolt that should be replaced after you remove the bolt.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    Does any one uses synt. oil and good filters (like mobil 1 or K&N gold) on their camry?

I recently bought a 2005 camry and now in a dilema either go to toyota for oil and filter change or have it done some where else but use only good synt oil (like mobil 1 5w30) + K&N gold filters.

I previously had 01 camry alwasy maintained at toyota service shop and engine was so smooth running.

Basically what I am trying to ask is how toyota oil and filter compare to synt. oil and good filters?
    I would stick with the Toyota (OEM) oil filters. Unless you drive in harsh climatic conditions (extreme heat or cold or dusty unpaved roads), I'd just go with a good-quality 5W-30 conventional oil. After all, you will be changing the oil every 5000 miles or less to maintain your warranty coverage? I'm sure your Toyota dealer would put in synthetic oil if you supplied your own and decided to use synthetic.

Now after the 5 year/ 60K miles warranty period, if you want to experiment with extending your oil change intervals, synthetic would be highly recommended.
    My local TOYOTA dealer now offer synt. oil for 5K miles instead of the regular oil, 3K miles services. It's only $39.00 (compare to $29.00 for the regular).

But they use Castrol, not TOYOTA motor oil.

For the filter, I will stick with TOYOTA because it's much better than the other one you can fiind in auto store.

I always take my car to the dealer even it's about $10-$20 more but I know their oil filter is better and the service manager usually will tell me about the condition of my car.

I don't think you will need synt. oil for your 2005. I believe it's better when use in high mileage car (my camry has 107k)
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    I called 2 toyota dealer/service shops in my area and asked what oil and filter do they use?

One uses regular 10W30 mobil 1 oil and toyota filter for $ 28 + tax and can use synt. (mobil 1 synt) if customre wants for $ 61 + tax. other one same story but uses 5W30 oil. I asked toyota service manager if they would do the service if bring my own oil and filter and how much is the labor costs? Answer was yes they will do it and labor cost is $ 10.

I called different service shops like walmart, pepboy or good year and asked would they do the oil/filter service If I bring my own supplies, answer was yes and it cost more or less 15 + tax.

Previously I had 01 camry and it has recommendations to use either 5W30 or 10W30 oil and now my 05 cmary manual says to use only 5W30 oil. I asked the toyota service about it but they said 10W30 is better for TN weather conditons. I don't what to make out of it.

I also asked what is peculiar about toyota filter (OEM), they said it has Anti Drain Back Valve but it is still paper filter and it cost $ 5.51at toyota parts. I serached online and found many people speaks very highly of mobil 1 and K&N gold filters and both of them use syn. material instead of paper. K&N gold also has Anti Drain Back Valve and both of them cost like $ 10.

Q. Does it make sense if bring my own oil (synt. mobil 1 5W30) and oil filter (K&N gold) and do the service at toyota service shop? There will be still record of my service and what I have been using in my car. I hope this will not effect my warranty.
    This way it will cost me ($10 filter + $ 10 labor + $ 20 synt. oil + tax) compare to $ 28 +tax of service package at toytoa.
    Any suggestions please.
    There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that says if you do regular oil changes (appropriate for your style of driving) with regular oil, you engine will last as long as you own the car.

I don't know what the fascination is with synthetic oil. Is it "better" than regular oil? Perhaps. Will most of us benefit from its superior qualities? I think not.
    Use 5W-30 conventional oil and Toyota oil filter, as I said in my previous post. Do NOT allow the dealer to use 10W-30 oil when the factory calls for 5W-30. If you go to the dealer that uses only 10W-30 oil, then bring your own 5W-30 oil, since they allow it.

NEVER allow the dealer to override anything the factory requires in regard to maintenance! Toyota who engineered your car knows a lot more about it than any dealer!

Synthetic oil, in my opinion, is a good idea only if you operate your car in harsh conditions (very hot or very cold weather, sustained very high speeds or extensive stop-and-go driving, both in hot weather, or frequent driving on dusty unpaved roads).
    Where can I get a cap style filter wrench to fit the Toyota oil filters? I've checked NAPA and AutoZone and no luck.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Does anyone know what the website name is for discounted Toyota parts? I think the place is in Battle Creek, MI.

I have a 96 Camry XLE V-6 with 89K miles. The car has been amazingly trouble free. I need to have the timing belt replaced that I was supposed to do at 60K. I am not going to push it beyond 90K. I do not believe in extra expenses of synthetic oil and OEM oil filters. I use mobil 1oil filters that bought tons of them at $2.99 at a out of busniness K-mart several years ago. I think I am down to 20 filters now.

The V-6 gets about 32-34 mpg on highway driving at 70-75mph. I do use 92-93 octance gas. ( I know......what I don't pay in premium oil, I pay in premium gas!!) I want to sell this car and get a 2002 Passat GLS V-6 manual. I know that no VW will ever come close to this Camry's reliability.

Joe
  • mik100mik100 Member Posts: 2
    Toyota sent me a factory and dealer recommended maintenance schedule which is a per 5,000 mile service - probably a few hundred dollars per service.

The liar salesman said that all i have to do is oil changes.

Upon signing the lease - i signed up for their auto care program that basically takes care of all the oil and fluid changes - every 3000 miles

Am I obligated to go through the maintenance? - even though i do all the oil changes through them?

If I decide not to - can that present a problem at the end of the lease term?

Thanks

Michael
    I don't think you are obligated to do anything other that what is in the owner's manual. For the most part, that is oil changes & tire rotations plus some inspections and maybe coolant at 30,000 miles. Service is where dealers make most of their money so they will always recommend more than the manufacturer.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    You don't want to forget the cabin air filter behind the glove box. The dealer wants around 40 dollars to change it. However, you can get one for around 20 dollars on EBay and install it yourself. It is really easy to swap out in the Camry. The Highlaner is a bit more difficult, but I have survive 2 swaps on both cars. The filter should be swapped out every 10,000 miles. They really get looking quite dirty and we do not smoke or drive in heavy smog.
    I believe I purchased mine at Advance Auto. I don't know if you have them in your area. I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart also sells them.

(The cap-style wrench I bought was for a 97 Camry 4-cylinder, and is the same size for the 2002-05 Camry 4-cylinder.)
    Thanks for the reply, I already checked Advance Auto and Walmart and they won't fit. I have the 3.3 V6. I believe that the size of the filter is about 75 or 76 mm with 15 flutes.
  • gokgok Member Posts: 1
    I have a Toyota Camry (89-4D-Sedan) with 160 kmiles. The car is in good condition. It runs great. I recently (2 days back) put a whole quart of 5W-30 (Pennzoil) grade motor oil. A day after I did that I discovered that oil was leaking from the bottom of my car (front) and my 'check oil' light on the indicator panel is lit meaning that all the oil has been burnt and it needs more oil in just 2 days. At the same time the leak is not very much (may be few tea spoons when I checked the spot where it was parked). I want to know if it was a bad idea to use this grade? Also I would appreciate if someone told me about the grade I should be using and a possible solution to this problem. I stay in columbia SC and it gets pretty hot here. Does the weather also decide the oil grade?
    Please Help.
  • oldtoyoyaoldtoyoya Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for one of these the past few weeks, and made the rounds of the stores listed (and threw in the PeP boys for good measure). I think I've found one (at least I ordered it - should be here in a few days) from Toyota - it is a special service tool, on their website -

http://toyota.spx.com/index.aspx

The part number is 09228-17075-01, and the cost is $5 plus shipping of $6 to $8. It fits the 75mm Toyota V6 Oil Filter part number 0922-02011.

Hope that helps...

Phil
  • joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    I've been using Walmart motor oil in my 2004 Camry 4 cylinder because it meets the required specification. I've had no trouble in the last 10,000 miles and as a matter of fact, it seems that my gas mileage has IMPROVED! I've been getting in the mid 30s with a high of 37 MPG on a recent road trip. Does anyone else have experience with Walmart oil? I almost feel guilty using such an inexpensive oil in this car but I can't logically come up with a reason not to. I contacted the manufacturer (Quaker State) and their engineer said that Walmart oil is the same as their own brand however the additive package is a little different. Comments?
    If it meets the SAE requirements for your car, then it shouldn't matter what the brand name on the bottle is.
    Thanks for the reply, did you receive the filter wrench yet? I called there the other day and they could not tell me for sure if that style number would fit my filter.

My filter number is 90915-YZZD1. I have a 2005 SE with the 3.3L. I believe the same oil filter is used for the 3.0L. What year is your car? Let me know when you get it if it fits.

Thanks, Dennis
  • txstudmfntxstudmfn Member Posts: 6
    It is not the oil, it is the engine seals or something else.

Can you pin point the leak? It could be the oil gasket on the oil pan. It could be some other part like your oil pump. If doesn't leak much when it is idle, it is leaking when the engine is running hot. Get it looked at ASAP.
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    Can i switch to synthetic oil on my 02 camry with 45000 miles or should i stick to regular. I bought the car around 25000 miles and have taken good care of it.
  • txstudmfntxstudmfn Member Posts: 6
    There is nothing wrong in switching to synthetic at 45k. It is more expensive per quart but i'm sure you have already done that research. If you change your mind you can always switch back to regular. Whatever you do don't buy the blend i feel that is a waste of money.
  • michaeltagmichaeltag Member Posts: 1
    I'm being told by my mechanic that it's finally time to change those long-life platinum spark plugs again, and his quote for the labor is several hundred dollars because apparently they're very hard to get at. Can anyone verify this? Has anyone on this forum change their own Camry V6 spark plugs?
  • msr2kmsr2k Member Posts: 2
    I've done a 60K maintenance for my '99 Camry LE at teh dealer and they said that I need do:
    - brake fluid flush
    - power steering fluid flush
    - fuel injector cleaning.
    What from the list above is usually done at 60K and what are the chances that they really looked at all the things above and determined that they require cleaning? Dealer wants $100-150 for each item so I don't want to pay just because they tell me it's needed... The car is OK, no complaints.
    I mean, do they regularly tell everyone at 60K to peroform these additional steps?
    The dealer is Michael's Toyota in Bellevue, WA.

Thanks in advance!
    M
    "I mean, do they regularly tell everyone at 60K to perform these additional steps?"

Absolutely. Service is where the dealer makes money. Of the three, only the brake fluid flush makes sense. Brake fluid absorbs water and water can rust internal components (mainly the brake lines) and reduces the ability of the fluid to withstand high temps. If you've had a brake job, the mechanic may have run new fluid through the system but if the fluid looks dark, it's probably time for fresh stuff.

If you buy quality gas, your injectors are probably ok. You can always dump in a bottle of Techron (about $6) at your next fill up too.
    I agree, of the 3, only the brake fluid flush is a good idea. But that cost is outrageous! If I recall correctly, my local independent shop charged on the order of $30-$40 to do it. And the fluid itself is very cheap, only a few buck per container.