Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT Instrument Cluster

2»

Comments

• owenscolowenscol Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 2001 Roadster with 59k miles on March 7th. I drove it for 800 miles and suddenly the Tachometer is at 2000 when it is turned off, and obviously is running at 2000 over where the engine is really at. At this time I have it in the shop to getting the timing belt done and hoping the Tach can be fixed.
    anyone else having Tachometer problems?
  • bdnewnanbdnewnan Member Posts: 9
    You should go to this link to see that the instrument cluster warranty has been extended. Further , you should read this thread quite completely to see that the warranty that was negotiated by Audi and the law firm is being violated.

http://www.instrumentclustersettlement.com/
  • owenscolowenscol Member Posts: 2
    That link doesn't work... the local audi shop said only original owners could get that so I need to spend another $1000 for it. $750 on parts adn $250 labor. ouch. Rest of car is in GREAT shape, they said though.. Timing belt just cost me $950. DAMN. But I'll love the car, live and learn...
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    From Green Welling, LLP:

AUDI TT Instrument Cluster Settlement – Court granted approval of a nationwide settlement for Audi TTs (model years 2000 - 2004, and certain 2005 models) alleged to have defective instrument clusters. The settlement provides three types of relief to class members, including a 2 year extension of the existing warranty, free repairs or replacements of defective instrument clusters, and full reimbursement of qualified, out pocket expenses incurred for instrument cluster repairs or replacements. For more detail Click Here >

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• ramoncramonc Member Posts: 10
    Owenscol, the tach as well as everything in the instrument cluster is controlled by a central computer chip. That is the essence of the repair lawsuit. This was an improperly designed or built part. Sorry for the bad news.
  • 4joy4joy4joy4joy Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 TT that I purchased new on /5/20/01. I now have 74,500 miles on my car and the instrument cluster went out. It was sporadic when I had it to the dealership on 4/24/06 and I declined to pay $1607.00 to repair it. Do I have any recourse now?
  • remsterremster Member Posts: 1
    I have some half-good news.
    I have a 2001 TT roadster, bought new, and the cluster failed under warranty and was replaced in 2002.
    The new cluster had the temp gauge off by one from the get go: when the car is started, instead of starting from the far left, it started one notch from the far left. Then when the car was warm, it'd sit one notch to the right of the vertical.
    Since I had it just repaired, I assumed this was normal.
    But much later, about mid 2009, during a regular service visit, the dealer told me the cluster was not right. That was quite a shock.

I saw the whole story about the settlement, but somehow I missed the boat.
    A call to Audi Corp customer service was no help. Not under warranty, not covered.

I started a BBB complaint against my dealer, and this got the ball rolling.
    I settled for paying 30% plus tax (seems to cover the parts and a little more) and the dealer paid the rest.
    I have since closed the BBB complaint.

Moral of the story: try working out with your dealer.
    It may not work, but it's worth a try.

(If you see this message on other boards, it's on purpose... I found quite a few people pulling their hair about the same issue... so I figure I should let all of them know).
  • cris100cris100 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    is the audi tt roadster more reliable than the coupe or is it the same?
    Audi USA has finally admitted that it DOES NOT PAY ATTENTION TO CUSTOMERS WITH MECHANICAL DEFECT ISSUES. That it "settles" lawsuits with extremely favorable conditions FOR THE COMPANY. Dealers are not your friend and rather than look for the correct solution for problems it looks for ways to MAKE THE ISSUE YOUR FAULT. DO NOT BUY AUDI PRODUCTS. If you must, lease and stay within warranty periods. This does not mean that you will be trouble free as you will, in all probabilitiy, have to go the dealer repeated times with issues, repeat issues or issues that they cannot repair. YOU WILL BE STUCK WASTING YOUR TIME GOING TO THE DEALERSHIP. Parts costs and labor rates are Porsche based. A simple 3 dollar bulb is !5 at Audi!!!! AND YOU MAY HAVE VW PARTS IN YOUR AUDI/PORSCHE. They lie, cheat and steal your money...
    HI. Read my recent post about Audi in general. As far as I know, the model makes no difference except that for the roadster you have the convertible top to contend with. Many have issues with the lock/unlock handle for the top. I had issues with the top were it is fastened on the back. The glue dried up and it took over 500 bucks for the parts and the labor to repair. My glove box lock failed locked! 750 for the part and 200 for labor. A GLOVE BOX!!!! The Mass Air Sensor has issues, the instrument cluster has issues, the timing belt/water pump/alternator has issues. But more importantly, Audi DOES NOT BACK YOU UP ON THEIR DESIGN FAULTS AND DEFECTS. They ignore you, they "settle" suits at highly favorable terms FOR THEM, etc. etc. etc. NOT A GOOD DEAL. Beautiful car but, if you chose to get one, expect costly repairs and maintenance. Hope this helps.
  • ttdanttdan Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 TT coupe (hatchback) with 104,000 miles on it. I had no problems with the car until last year when the instrument cluster began to act up. The first indication something was wrong was the Temperature gauge suddenly started reading into the above normal range by one tick. Then it got worse and moved all the way to the far right (overheated) indication. I took the car in for service and was told that there was no indication of an engine problem...no oil leak, no water pump, radiator or coolant problem including water pump problem. I was told that instrument cluster failure was common in these cars and that it need to be replaced at the tune of $1040.00 + tax since the whole cluster had to be removed, the new cluster had to have the current mileage burned into the odometer and installed into the dash panel. I didn't do it due to cost. Finally, the whole cluster has failed. The instruments gauges are not accurate and the whole center information cluster which provides service warnings is no longer operable. Changing the cluster through an authorized Audi dealer is the only solution since the Audi has the codes and the ability to burn the mileage from your old instrument cluster into the new cluster without affecting car resale value. (It is illegal and a crime to tamper with vehicle odometers and tampering will effect resale value of the vehicle.) The instrument cluster needs to be replaced before total failure. You should also be aware that Audi settled a class action law suit without admitting wrong doing on replacement of TT instrument clusters in the late 1990's for certain TT owners. The suit has been settled. Anyone with a TT and a failed instrument cluster not part of the class action settlement is on their own.
  • beeksterbeekster Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 TT had the same problem just after going out of warranty. Audi made good on the repair even though at the time it wasn't considered a defect in the US. At that time, in the UK, it was determined to be a defect and they replaced any defective units even those no longer under warranty. In less than a year after mine was fixed, Audi USA finally considered it a defect and fixed any that were defective. I would write the head of Audi USA if the dealer won't work with you on this. That's exactly what I did in my case and it worked.
  • flip08flip08 Member Posts: 8
    I have revisited Audi USA and referenced this site and others who are still talking about the ill will Audi USA has created from the faulty instrument clusters and their supposed settlement. Perhaps if everyone effected shouts at the same time - they may wake up and clean up the cluster mess once and for all.

To Email Audi of America go to: http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/about/main/contact_audi.html

Audi of America Mailing Address

Audi of America, Inc.
    Customer Relations
    3800 W Hamlin Road
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326

If you currently own an Audi and have questions or concerns about your ownership experience, and would like to speak with a Customer Relations Advocate call 1-800-822-2834 (AUDI), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 9 pm, Eastern Time.
  • hisojihisoji Member Posts: 1
    I have run out of gas several times due to this...haha...
    The temp also reads super cold at all times, the screen is not even readable anymore....Looking for a resolution! someone help please!
    I emailed Audi but I'm not sure that will help...
    Any further suggestions?
    I purchased this used private party...can I still get this done?
  • lime679lime679 Member Posts: 38
    Well my dreams of owning a TT Roadster are over. I woke up two weeks ago and decided to buy one for a toy. I started my research here and on other forums and it just doesn't seem like a bright idea. I have looked at several around the Houston area and came close to closing the deal on a black one but I just don't want to deal with the headaches that all of you have dealt with. And the instrument clusters were messed up on all of the models I looked at.

Thanks for sharing your experiences here and saving me the headache. The problem now is that I want a fun roadster but I feel like nothing really compares to the TT. I sorta looked at the Z4 but I'm not a fan. I'm at a lost.
  • serpent11serpent11 Member Posts: 7
    I just found out that my instrument cluster needs replacement. I have a 2001 TT Roadster conv purchased new when they first came out baseball leather and the show care color of that year. Garaged kept never driben in winter only highway driving. Just turned 40,000 miles as of 9/30/11. 4 years ago glove box lock $900.00 + 2years ago sensor $1200.00 2 years ago computer $2000.00. Now instrument cluster $$$$$$$ ???? I can just imagine. I am at my wits end.
    I have same year, leather etc...but have not had any trouble (with half of your miles) except the cluster _ _ _ _! However you are out of time for the class action... which should miff you even more since Audi obviously has a faulty part - and you shouldn't have to have pay when your cluster dies outside of their time frame. Especially at 40k miles.

I suggest you read post #40 and follow its advice....(mine starts at #58)

If anyone has a suggestion for a group communication to Audi - I'm all ears...
    Also has anyone found an extended warranty program that is satisfactory?

I still can't believe I qualified for the cluster rebate (but was sent a voucher for repair)
    I reminded them I sent in the repair bill with the class action lawsuit and they never sent the reimbursement. How lame is that for what was a 3 Audi family? ---
    I called Audi USA the day I posted this and they said Sorry No Joy!!

I called again last week and they got back to me yesterday. I am to take my TT to the dealer Pay $125.00 to have it checked out. If it is the Instrument Cluster they agreed to pay $1300.00 If it's anything else it's on me. I think that is the proper thing to do even though the car is over eleven years old.
    Let's wait and see but my opinion of Audi USA is about to change. Thanks for all the input.
    I absolutely agree that its the right thing for them to do. In fact I'm wondering why I couldn't get the same consideration when I called them directly as well - a couple of years ago.

In fact you have inspired me. I'll wait to hear how it turns out for you before I call again.
  • crashohverloadcrashohverload Member Posts: 2
    Looking into buying a 2001 TT that had its instrument cluster replaced about 1.5 yrs ago. Any idea if the instrument cluster will go bad again, because it is just a faulty product, or should I be ok, or 50/50 shot? Thanks for the help.
    I wish I could help you but I have no idea if Audi updated the instrument cluster, if not I would think that eventually you will have a problem. Sorry I couldn't help
  • crashohverloadcrashohverload Member Posts: 2
    No problem. I appreciate the response. I spoke an audi tech, and he informed me that there is an updated instrument cluster, and based on the part #, he could tell. Therefore, I am waiting back to here if the replaced instrument cluster was the updated one.
  • sacerltdsacerltd Member Posts: 1
    I talked with my boss, our display for Audi TT instument dashboard should be obsolete , this displays are sold everywhere,the price market is disrupted ,She said, this car's Instument problem willn't be solved in a short time.
    S-11
    Any updates on follow-through by Audi?
    Audi America came thru. I have a replacement instrument cluster and new battery compliments of Audi. Remember I purchased this new in 2000 for big $
    and only have 40,000 miles. Good Luck I can give you 1 piece of advice. I had to call several times and talked to several reps before I found a good conclusion. Good Luck
  • automan19automan19 Member Posts: 1
    Good Luck!!!! I have a 2003 audi tt with insterment cluster failer, Just called aUDI USA. Did not get anywhere. To late for exteded warrenty. Let me know if any other way or help. Thank You
    All I can tell you is that I purchased my 2001 TT Roadster when they were first announced Feb - Apr 2000. Original owner my Cluster went October 2011 with 39000 miles. I had previously replaced the computer about $2000. Sensor $1200 and glove box $900. Audi America paid for my Instrument cluster and the battery which was shorted by the cluster. Audi UK replaced all bad clusters at no charge. and not just extend the warranty for 2 years as audi USA did. Good Luck!
    edited December 2011
    Serpent11
    Would you be kind enough to share some details of where and who you called?
    Thanks
    I called Audi America described my problem and spoke to a rep. That's all I can really say you can Google the phone number. Good luck!
  • gofastprogofastpro Member Posts: 1
    I just had mine replaced by Audi. My initial contact was with AUDI USA 1-800-822-2834 and I ended up taking my car into the dealer to have it officially diagnosed (has to be diagnosed by and Audi dealer). It's a bit of a gamble but the only way you can get Audi USA to play.

It turns out (in my case anyway) that the dealers have significant input into Audi's decisions. As was explained to me (by my dealer) you have the best chance of getting Audi to pay 100% for the cluster itself if you are an original owner AND have a history with the dealer. If neither is the case it's a bit of a harder road and you will probably find Audi will eventually offer between 10-50% off maybe [your results may vary].

The dealer controls the installation cost so count on paying about 1 1/2 hours. In some cases they credit the diagnostic charge (~ $125) against that amount but in most they do not.

If you are not the original owner you are probably going to be better off financially by working with someone like ModuleMaster to rebuild your cluster for between $160-350 depending on whether without the LED or with the LED rebuilt. http://www.modulemaster.com/en/services/instrument_clusters.php

All of the above is based on my experience, research, discussions and opinions only -- I have no clue if they are the best or if they are even similar to anyone else's. I did get mine replaced by Audi and paid only the 1 1/2 hr for the install. I was QUITE happy with the result given the time since the settlement and the fact that Audi is NOT required to do anything at all at this point in time.
  • 01ttowner01ttowner Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2001 TT (orig. owner) but hate the service issues I have had especially the problems with the instrument cluster having to be replaced. I currently need to have the instrument cluster replaced AGAIN for the THIRD time! First time it was under warranty, second just out of warranty so dealership/Audi USA paid 50% and I paid 50%. Then the class action suit happened and I was reimbursed the 50% I paid. Now, I have been told by dealership that the instrument cluster needs to be replaced again. Audi USA and my dealership agree that an Audi should not need FOUR instrument clusters over the lifetime of the vehicle. They say one replacement is unusual, however, they wont pay for the repairs. Audi obviously does not stand behind their product when it has an obvious design flaw. My wife wanted us to buy an A4 or an A6 and we decided against it for fear of the same problems. To fix or not to fix...that is the question.
    How many miles is on your TT and is it a Roadster or coupe?
  • dadsitdadsit Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Audi TT roadster from the original owner. The instrument cluster is not working properly. Is there any way to get Audi to help with the replacement cost of the cluster? If so, what is the best way? I am new to the Audi world.
  • nelmannersnelmanners Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have an audi TT which i purchased in December 2008. It is a 2000 audi tt 225. In my booklet it says that my TT was bought in August 2000 with the first owners details. When I put in a new battery last year, the cluster reset to August 2001. Does this mean my cluster was also replaced in 2001?
  • dr1234dr1234 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Hi! I have a 2003 TT with fuel gauge failure. The fuel indicator showes half tank more than it actually is. trip calculator is showing the right value.

I tried vag com adaptation but not able to change the fuel indicator's possition although I changed the values in the software (from 128 to 120).
    I tried to retrieve the SKC with the vag tacho but i had no luck as the pin code that the programme gave me was wrong.
    Last thing was to remove the whole dash board and remove the fuel needle myself. I run output tests with vag com and I reposition the needle in the middle. It worked properly until the next day that I refilled...When I refilled the fuel cluster showed again half tunk more than it was..???

Any ideas why that happened and how I could fix the problem would be appreciated.
    Thanx in advance
  • sweet41ksweet41k Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased this car. Everything works perfect Except, right in the center of the instrument cluster ther is a 00:00 that is continuously blinking off and on. What are these numbers for and how do I reset them or turn them off? The only non OEM part on the car is the stereo system. Is it related to this?
    One of the other members mentioned an "hours driven" counter - could that be it?

As for what the problem's related to, most of the folks participating in this thread have had various problems with the instrument cluster, and some were able to resolve them.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bgaultbgault Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to give these guys a shot.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/services/instrument_clusters.php

The TT cluster is $350 to rebuild it and there's a 5 year warranty (voided if/when you sell the car). According to the diagram on their site, removing the cluster isn't too difficult. You can overnight it to them, there's a 2-day turn-time and it's sent back to you.

They fix the defective parts of the module and replace (and upgrade) the LCD panel. There's supposedly no immobilizer issues as long as you keep your battery disconnected until you re-install the unit.

If I have issues, I'll repost. Otherwise, wish me luck!
  • oldttloveroldttlover Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner on a 2001 TT Quattro coupe with 11,100 miles on it (don't ask!). On several occasions over the when I've replaced the battery or the battery had completely discharged for lack of use, the instrument cluster went completely dark with no gauges, tach, speedo registering or.miles, etc. displayed Warning, headlight and emergency brake indicators do work. The first two times the dealer said the instrument cluster required replacement, but with in a few days the cluster "miraculously" came to life. I recently had to replace the battery for the third time after the battery tender was inadvertently disconnected for a few weeks. After replacing the battery the cluster wouldn't light up and the gauges didn't register again. Due to an impending vehicle inspection I don't have time to wait for another "miracle". Has any body had a similar experience and learned how to wake up the cluster?
  • audittroadsteraudittroadster Member Posts: 1
    did you ever use the company for your instrument cluster?
  • mobsttamobstta Member Posts: 1
    fuel level issues are generally a fuel sender issue in the tank and are fixed by new fuel senders and sometimes simply by running a bottle of techron thru the tank. the cluster issues (tach, temp etc). are fixed by module master and or bbe remanufacturing. most people on the Audi forums; quattroworld; audiworld; audizine etc have had good luck with them. Sometimes just opening and closing the ribbon connectors fix issues.

Oh and read a vehicle centered forum or two.
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for stopping by with the tips and news from the rest of the Internet. Several other members here have recommended Module Master too. One member who mentioned replacing the fuel sender wound up having to have his cluster replaced anyway. :(

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

• WeeTTWeeTT Member Posts: 1

I am the original owner on a 2001 TT Quattro coupe with 11,100 miles on it (don't ask!). On several occasions over the when I've replaced the battery or the battery had completely discharged for lack of use, the instrument cluster went completely dark with no gauges, tach, speedo registering or.miles, etc. displayed Warning, headlight and emergency brake indicators do work. The first two times the dealer said the instrument cluster required replacement, but with in a few days the cluster "miraculously" came to life. I recently had to replace the battery for the third time after the battery tender was inadvertently disconnected for a few weeks. After replacing the battery the cluster wouldn't light up and the gauges didn't register again. Due to an impending vehicle inspection I don't have time to wait for another "miracle". Has any body had a similar experience and learned how to wake up the cluster?

Hello, I have the same issue with my 2001 TT Quatro where the dashboard started to work again after a while but it has now stopped again. Does this mean the cluster is done and needs rebuilding or is there some trick to getting it to work again? Thanks!