Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

volvooceanvolvoocean Member Posts: 11
I have a 2006 Sonata LX with 23,800 miles. I bought it in August, 2006. Ok. It performs great. I just got back from lunch. I had my Starbucks in my cup holder doing 50 mph on two lane highway. The car in front of me comes to a screeching holt. I break (can you say panic stop) and stop without hitting. I watch this guy walking past me with a hose on his back on right by the grassy shoulder. This guy had parked his car on the two lane highway on the right lane while dragging the hose to reseed the grass. I could not believe it. I mean I have owned and driven a 2K Cobra R (Ford factory race car) that would stop on a dime (Brembo brakes) but this Hyundai is good as that. Great V6 engine and stops on a dime. Can you ask for more?

Comments

• jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I have a 2006 Sonata LX with 23,800 miles. I bought it in August, 2006

Please explain how you put 23,800 miles on the car in two months.

Or did you mean August 2005?
  • volvooceanvolvoocean Member Posts: 11
    August 2005. How time flies, ha. I bought it from Laurel Hyundai in Laurel, Maryland. Two months later they became Ourisman Hyundai. Aquamarine with beige interior. I used the 2K rebate and got an excellent deal. Thanks.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Few notes:

A. If your Starbucks coffee spilled all over you, you can now SUE them for causing you severe burns.

B. See, the guy in front of you KNEW he can come to a screeching holt safely and without causing an accident, since he looked in the mirror and saw a Sonata behind him.

C. But since YOU did NOT know that HE knows, I am surprised you did take out your AK47 which you must keep on the passenger seat, and shot him and his stupid hose. I hope you actually DID it, just forgot to mention it.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    MAMAMIA !!!!!!! I am shocked.!!!!!! ;)
    re: #C
    We aren't so obvious any more. Yeah, we may "respond" like that, but in a more subtle way. Maybe a 22 instead. ;), and we smile too. :):);)
    Idiots like that are all over the place. (the hose guy)
  • txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    I bought this Sonata 2 weeks ago and it has 1100 miles on it. Lately I am hearing the rear brake squealing when applying the brake while backing the vehicle. When I put it back in Drive (tap the brake) it doesn't have that sound anymore. It only happens after the vehicle has been parked for 4 hours or more.

I've brought it to a Hyundai dealership and they replaced the rear brake pads, but the squealing noise still there.

Anyone experiencing this problem? Some people told me that is normal to have the brake squealing after the vehicle has been parked for a while and it will go away after a short drive. That's seems odd to me though. Thanks for all your input.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That is true about a little noise after a car has been parked awhile, especially in cool, humid weather when moisture may collect on the brake discs. I am hearing a little brake squeal lately on my Elantra, which goes away after driving awhile. The temps here have dropped to teens to low 20s overnight lately.
  • txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    It doesn't happen when I purchased the car which is about 2 weeks ago. The temperature is cold (50's at night) but not too low around my area (California). I've just brought it to the dealership again today and they told if I wanted them examine the squealing noise, I will need to leave it overnight so that they could do the inspection in the next morning. I'll try to do that next week and see what happen. Does anybody else experiencing the same problem as mine on the Sonata?
  • franmartfranmart Member Posts: 16
    i have the same problem when my car sits for a while when I back up and is fine the rest of the time please tell me how you made out at the dealer before I go there thanks
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    I live in PA and I have experienced this with every car I have ever owned. Especially after letting it sit over night or on a day where humidity is high or it's raining.

The rotors will begin to develop a film of rust and after hitting the brakes a few times, the rust layer is removed and the squealing noise disappears.

May not be the same issue but the only other thing it could be is pads and the only way to resolve it correctly is to resurface the rotors as well if you are replacing pads for that reason.
  • eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    My 2006 Sonata ABS makes a grinding sound like it is grinding corn, or dragging something on the ground when the ABS is engaged(sliding on ice for example). The brake system makes no noise under normal non ABS use, and works fine, good stopping power, the best brakes I have ever had!

From the reading I have been doing on this subject I understand that this sound is normal.

My question for operators who own other brands of autos is, does your other cars makes this same type of noise? And, if anyone knows, what is it in the Sonata system that makes this type of sound?

I
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I own something other than a Hyundai and yes, I hear the same sort of sound when the ABS engages.
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    Every car that I have owned with ABS has had the same noise when activated. Here in the NY area , when we have "winter" the ABS comes into play. Perfectly NORMAL! :)
  • eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    Thank you for your response, Pat and Dr Don.

One reason I ask is that while this is the first car that I have owned with ABS, years ago I drove a auto with asn old ABS system and the only indication I would have of ABS engaging was a pulsing feeling on the brake peddle. No sound at all.

The sound from the Sonata is so pronounced and such an odd sound(you believe something is dragging the ground) that Hyundai surely had a reason for making this sound so noticeable.

Just curious. And I was wondering if some of our posters who are much more knowledgeable than I could tell us how the noise is generated?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Brake calipers/pads hitting the brake discs on 4 wheels several times per second. Can make quite a racket!
  • thriveannethriveanne Member Posts: 3
    I leased 2 Sonatas just over a year ago and both of them now have that squeaky break sensor issue. I have not heard that at all over the course of the year, but now both of them have started up with it, within about 2 weeks of each other. (The one with higher mileage went 1st)

My mechanic thought that it should be covered under a 3/36 warranty but the dealer says that it's onlhy 1/12.

UGH! :(
  • drnodrno Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2006 GL with 24k miles. The vehicle has required no repairs except that the rear pads were worn and had to be replaced at about 20k miles. The front pads are fine. A colleague with the same model also had only the rear pads replaced. Are there problems with rear pads or proportioning valves/abs/esc systems?
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Must be a problem with yours. I wouldn't expect to replace the rear pads but maybe once in the lifetime of my car. Somewhere around 80 - 90 K I would think. Heck I never changed the rear brakes on my 95 Lumina. Had it for 11 years and 107K miles.
    I could by that if I only have 2 with the same problem. Had my mechanic look at it and there's a ridge of rust build up on the pads that makes the horrific SCREECHING sound, especially when it's raining/humid. I need to have it repaired at 14K and 12K. Nice huh?
  • aeosmanaeosman Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the trick to removing the rear brake rotors. There are a set of brake shoes inside the rotor that is the emergency brake. My left rear rotor went bad and I had a miserable time getting it off. Now I have to tackle the passenger side. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    I'd originally posted this on Maintenence & Repair, probably better here.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this ? I'd posted in July about the 'need' (?) to replace the rear brakes on my '07 GLS at 18,600 mi...I know . We began to hear the tell-tale metalic squeel primarily when turning the steering wheek to the right. Took it in and the mechanic and service guy indicated that the rears were worn down, mainly on the left. Being that I was hearing the noise too, which I knew to be the wear indicators and that my 19 yr old was driving the car mainly to her Summer job, I decided to have them replaced and the rotors turned. Since I'd had the car for 18 months there was little hope of having them replace under warranty. Between this and the 2 other Hyundai sites, I found a few other posts about this problem which seemed to indicate that in fact it might be a caliper or piston or rear pad issue needing an adjustment.
    Today I took my '08 GLS, in service 8/15 last yr., in for the 34 point inspection, thanks HMC for the freebie coupon - and asked that they specifically check the brakes. Well...they found that the "rear brakes were sticking in slides causing glazing" they "freed the pads and machined the rotors" this time on the house
    I insisted again that this wasn't normal especially for rear brakes and that there was some chatter on the internet message boards about what the problem might be.
    The service guy, who seems to be a genuinely decent sort pulled up the brake job on the '07 from July, printed it out and offered to discuss the problem with the
    RSM who comes in periodically to see what they "can do for me" I made sure to reiterate that I have 2 Sonatas and not just a 10 yr old Accent! He did acknowledge that the wear war on the low side of normal, I told him that he needs to look up to see the low side of normal for rear brakes.
    So - has anyone experiences anything like this from either of these years ? or have another idea of what might be going on here ? On both cars the driving as about 75/25 city/hwy the 08 is garaged the 07 outside and I'm in W. PA w/4 season weather if it matters. We like both cars but this has me concerned.
  • Bad08SonataBad08Sonata Member Posts: 25
    Immediate Attention.....All Hyundai owners should check to see if their Emergency/Parking brakes work correctly.

All vehicles made after 2006, all Hyundai models, with the pull lever type of Emergency/Parking brake assemblies should be checked to see that their Emergency/Parking brakes work correctly.

Additionally, if you have had any rear brake work done on your vehicle that required removing the rear rotors or emergency/parking brake work done; more than likely...the service technicians did not repair it correctly...not repairing or making adjustments to your vehicle according to Hyundai Official Repair/Service manuals.

Apparently, someone dropped the ball at Hyundai Motor America and did not place a requirement for a force push/pull gauge on the Hyundai service departments.

Bottom line...all levels and all certifications of Service Techs, Field Service Engineers and Hyundai Representative do not have the necessary tools on-hand to perform EMERGENCY / PARKING BRAKE INSPECTION AND ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURES CORRECTLY, SO THEY SKIP THE OFFICIAL PROCEDURES.

Skipping these procedures could lead to emergency/parking brake drag when the brake lever is not set or the parking brake not functioning when you believe you have set the emergency/parking brake.

Step 1. Block the front tires so the vehicle will not roll.

Step 2. Raise the vehicle as if you were going to change the driver’s side rear tire.

Step 3. Rotate driver’s side tire while the brake is in the released position. If you feel any drag or hear a rubbing noise, your emergency/parking brake may be dragging. If you suspect dragging, lift the emergency/parking brake lever 1 click, if the drag feeling has intensified or you cannot move the wheel, then your emergency/parking brakes need to be adjusted.

Repeat the above steps on the passenger’s side rear tire.

Now that you know your emergency/parking brakes are not dragging, check to see if the emergency/parking brake will hold the vehicle.

Step 1. While a driver is in the vehicle, release the emergency/parking brake lever.

Step 2. Pull the emergency/parking brake lever up 4 clicks from the released position. Be prepared to step on your normal brakes...Place the vehicle in drive...at idle speed...

Does the vehicle move?

If YES, Repeat the above step with the lever pulled up an additional click each time until you reach 8 clicks from the released position.

Make note when the emergency/parking brake actually holds the vehicle.

If your emergency/parking brakes do not hold the car when the lever is pulled 8 clicks from the released position (where the adjustment is check according to the official manuals and around 44 LBs of pull force maximum is need to raise the lever 8 clicks), then your emergency/parking brake is not adjusted correctly.

When you take your vehicle in to have your emergency/parking brakes adjusted...ask that you be allowed to see the technician use a force push/pull gauge during the inspection/adjustment procedures.

Additionally, if you identify a problem...please email Hyundai Motor America customer service at ConsumerAffairs@hmausa.com and have them document you issue...have them give you a case number.... this is the only way a TSB or recall will be issued, since the servicing departments are skipping the official inspection steps.

Good luck
  • ayeuayeu Member Posts: 41
    My '07 GLS needed brakes at 11 months/ 21,000 miles - mostly highway driving - not a lot of stops. My Hyundai dealer says they have a chronic rust problem "in a high road salt environment" that causes the pads to stick in the corroded pad brackets. Mine were not releasing fully and were rubbing on the rotor. The dealer recommends a $130 procedure every 15,000 miles to disassemble the brakes, lube the slides and reassemble. Ridiculous if you ask me, but I've had it done twice because of noise. That costs you a penny a mile to keep your brakes functioning!
    I've lived in "salty" Ohio over 30 years and never had to do this and I've driven lots of cars lots of miles. I replaced front pads and rotors on my 2000 Mazda Protege at 60,000 and 110,000 miles and rear shoes at 90,000. No lubing the slides in between, either!
  • sticks57sticks57 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a Sonata GLS in November of 2007. Two weeks ago, with just 14,400 miles on the odometer, the right rear brakes began to sqeak. Of course it went away with brake application. After it got really noisey I called the dealer and was told that the brakes build up rust due to the chemicals that are put on the roads in the winter. Then the red flag went up when he said, "Call me if the rear wheels are hot." Well they certainly were as they had been dragging for quite some time. No wonder my gas mileage had been going down. I took the carin to the dealer and they took all 4 wheels off and serviced the pads. I asked if this was covered under warranty and they said "NOT." Total cost $130. I then sent a letter to Hyundai Customer Service pointing out that this was a safety issue and not normal wear and tear. Well I could have saved the effort as they won't come up with a dime. I have had at least 30 cars in my lifetime and not one of them had rear brake problems this early like this 2008 Sonata. NEWS FLASH to Hyundai; They put stuff on the roads up here in northern Ohio to melt ice and snow. If I have to go back in in another 14,400 miles and have this service done again, then this will be the first and last Hyundai I ever buy. So much for their great warranty.
  • ayeuayeu Member Posts: 41
    Sticks - I'm certainly not defending Hyundai, but a friend of mine, to whom I had told this story, recently told me that his Honda dealer told him he had the same problem with his Accord. Is your dealer in Streetsboro? I give them credit for at least identifying the problem and recommending how to address it. The Service Manager is frustrated with it. I called Hyundai and they deny the problem.
  • ssuydamssuydam Member Posts: 2
    Well I just left the Hyundai dealership in Streetsboro. Funny, no mention by Sheldon the service manager of this chronic problem to me. Sheldon did however want to repair the problem for $500.00. My brakes hung-up and now my rotors are scored so much so that they can't be turned. My car has 20,000 miles on it! I'll never buy a Hyundai again, and Great Lakes Hyundai should be investigated for not informing me as the customer of the ongoing problem.
  • sticks57sticks57 Member Posts: 3
    Aveu- you guessed it right. It is the dealer in Streetsboro. When I contacted Hyundai Customer Service, they said that they only had a couple of inqueries about rust and pads. That is hard to believe. This isn't so much a problem with the dealer, as it is with Hyundai not standing behind their product.
    I had the same problem with 2 of my 2007 Sonatas. My dealer fixed the problem at no charge to me. They said that there's always "rust" build up from our weather and that it just needed to be scraped. I've not had a problem with the brakes since they were fixed last winter.
  • carpsmarshcarpsmarsh Member Posts: 3
    Same deal here with my 2007 Sonata in NH. Took it to a dealer because it was chirping and then I smelled a burning odor back by my left rear wheel. He said road salt was corroding the brakes. They were seeing a lot of these and have been complaining to Hyundai with no response. Cost me $400 to resurface rear rotors and replace pads (they also needed to service the front brakes). They said I need to get the rust ground off every 15,000. So I started checking online and discovered a number of similar complaints. This is a safety issue. I ended up filing a safety complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)at theNHTA. I suggest you do the same.
  • klem747klem747 Member Posts: 1
    On my 2007 Sonata 4cyl., with 16,000 miles, my rear brakes were grinding.
    Upon further investigation, I found that the rotor was rusty, which caused my rear brake pads to wear prematurely. I live in Chicago, where they use road salt. It appears that drivers in winter conditions, are having the same problem. I am going to the dealer to have them look at it. If they say it is not under warranty, which I think they will, I might consider legal action against Hyundai. Is anyone else for this?
    I'd suggest you do what I did: file a complaint with the NHTSA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (You will see other similar complaints there.)

According to my dealer, Hyundai is well aware but currently doing nothing. If consumers file complaints with NHTSA, we might see a recall. The idea of having my brakes serviced annually because substandard materials were used is not sitting well with me.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Suprise!!! all brake rotors are susceptable to rust because they are untreated iron. The surfaced area (where the pads grip the rotors when applied) is machined smooth but still an untreated iron alloy. Each and every car I have ever owned with disc brakes (including our 2006 Honda Civic) shows light rust virtually within hours of parking it if rain is involved i.e. driving through puddles then parking the car in the drive and if no rain is involved i.e. if the car is parked for a week-end without use light rust STILL is evident through humidity in the air. So, within a few (1 or 2 ) light applications of the brakes will polish or scrub this off. As to the hubs (the non polished or machined surfaces) they too are iron and yes, they will sometimes rust heavily and if the car is used in high salt/chemical use areas in the winter without washing the car frequently they (the rotors) will certainly need replacement. As an example my fathers car, a 1999 Subaru (purchased new) which was driven on very short trips through much of its life (my father was 86 when he passed 2 years ago and didn't drive much or far) needed both front and rear rotors replaced due to heavy rust on the hubs even though the car had less than 40K miles. It was driven in western PA slop parked unwashed through most of the winter and as a result the rotors suffered badly. This is not a "problem' (if it IS a problem) punishable by death but I believe rather common throughout the auto industry since, as stated, rotors are by design untreated iron.
  • ssuydamssuydam Member Posts: 2
    Let me give you an update on my experience after the previous post. I called the Hyundai hotline that the service manager gave to inform the corporation of the problem with my brakes. Another funny thing, the guy who answered the hotline told me that he has never heard of this "unique" problem of the rear brakes sticking with so little miles on them. I think both the Streetsboro dealership and the Hyundai Corporation are complicit in their criminal ways! My lease is almost up and I'm counting the days on which I drive my last Hyundai. BTW I fixed my brakes myself for about $24.00 sure beats the $500.00 that the dealership tried to pry out of me. Next up: either a 2010 Ford Fusion or 2009 Chevy Malibu!
  • jimmyc3jimmyc3 Member Posts: 8
    i have a leased 2006 sonata with the same break problem. high pitched squeeky sound that stops when the breaks are applied, then starts again when accelerating. it sometimes stops if i pulsate the break pedal a little. the rear driver side went first at 20k miles, and both were replaced. now the rear passenger side is starting to squeal with 33k miles on the vehicle. i can't wait to turn in this lease. i don't think i should get another sonata. does anyone know if the genesis has the same problem?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Sheesh, how long did you lease this car for? I bought my '05 in April '05, just about 2 months before the '06's came out.

Your daily drive must be hard on the brakes for a rear break to wear out in 20K miles, or else the parking brake was dragging.
  • jimmyc3jimmyc3 Member Posts: 8
    i don't have a rough commute and our winters are not really bad in morris county nj. i was told by the service at hyundai that the brake problem is due to a build up of rust and debris. he said if i use the emergency brake often it will help to prevent the problem (even though i have an AUTOMATIC '06 sonata).
  • kristinew1980kristinew1980 Member Posts: 1
    I think I've got a similar issue. I live in St Paul MN and just took my car to the Hyundai dealership service dept b/c I was starting to hear a whistling sound and rear wheel grinding. After a 2 1/2 hour inspection of the brakes they wanted me to pay $650 to get the break pads and rotars replaced. My 2007 Sonata only has 23500 miles. After a $44 dollar inspection I left without any services being performed. I don't feel like one should have to do such repairs on a 2007 vehicle that only has 23500 miles. While at the Hyundai shop a lady who works in sales came by and asked me what I was having done because I'd been there so long. She told me she has a 2007 Sonata and had a similar problem and strongly recommended that I contact Hyundai Customer Service.

I ended up taking my car to Tires Plus (where they do FREE INSPECTIONS) and have much more reasonable rates (and they price matched MIDAS'S price). They replaced my break pads. The rotars were not repaired b/c they had to be specially ordered. I was told that 2007 Hyundai rotars have to come from the dealership and I do not want to pay what they charge for their rotars on this vehicle. I am not happy at all.
    If I were you I would definitely let Hyundai Customer Service know you are unhappy. Let them know you've read about similar incidents in online forums. And finally, file a complaint with NHTSA, the National Highway Transportation and Safety Board. From what I understand, auto manufacturers (not just Hyundai) can sit on complaints indefinitely, but if they know the NHTSA is investigating, they get a little more serious about it.

Personally, I would like to see a recall. I am NOT happy about facing expensive brake work every 15,000 miles. One reason I bought this car was because I was assured it was low maintenance and had a good reputation. Hyundai is blowing their reputation here.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    You people need to get over it, it's a car. No matter what kind of vehicle you have your're gonna have issues with the brakes because of the climate you live in. Down here in the south,Georgia to be exact, I only had to replace my front brake pads at 55k miles and it only cost me $90.00 due to the fact that a buddy of mine is a Hyundai Tech, so I paid $50.00 for the part and gave him $40.00 for putting them on for me. If I had them done at the dealership it would have cost me about $250.00. Now I don't know what they(NHTSA) can really do considering this problem only happens in winter states during winter season. Does anyone have this issue during the summer months up there?
    I have already posted a "general" explanation concerning brake rotor rust however it seems several posters are undeterred about "blaming" Hyundai and or filing reports with NHTSA. The description concerning your experience about having a brake service every 15,000 miles to aleviate this rust issue is vague. I personally live in the rust belt and Pa has never been accused of skimping on salt/corrosive liquid chemical snow and ice removal application and yet I have never experienced a need to have rust "ground" off my rotors every XXX miles. The rotor and pad interaction (when the brakes are applied) burnishes off any light rust that WILL form on the rotor overnight or when the car sets idle for any period of time. I have owned Hyundai products and in this respect they were/are no different from the Honda Civic we now own. I also own a 1995 Dodge Stratus and by coincidence just had the front pads replaced this past week-end. I had the opportunity to see my front rotors (approx 2 years old ) and they are clean with no evidence of any excess rust. I drive this car summer and winter and accrue over 22,000 miles per year. I do wash the car frequently especially in the winter (to the tune of several times a week) so does that have a bearing??? I am sorry but I simply cannot see a reason to believe this should be a Hyundai problem or a problem at all for that matter.
  • haidonghaidong Member Posts: 17
    I have the same problem, The dust built in my real rotor, then the dealer said the pad was worn out and the rotor could be resurfaced. I have to spend $400 to change all my rear brake. I contact with Hyundai, they blamed I did not maintain the car and I am in the high salt area. I am in MA.

I will fill the complain, could we go further ?
  • cmallencmallen Member Posts: 1
    I own a Sonata that is now on its second set of rear brake pads at 32,000 miles. Having owned cars with mixed city and highway driving now for 35 years, I don't recall having replaced brakes much ever before 60,000 miles much less the rear brakes on a front wheel drive twice in 30,000 miles, it is just shocking.

There seems to be wide spread agreement that this should not be happening but not much resource.

Today when picking up my car, they said they had fixed a recall Brake Switch Recall which they assure me had no baring on the brake pad wear. Perhaps this is true? But hard to believe.

I see the one post offering a place to file a complaint. I guess that will be my next action. That I am no longer going to get my service done with Hyundai. My trust is gone.
  • boricua6075boricua6075 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 hyundai sonata that I just leased back in march and having the same problems with the brakes I took to them three time just last week I took it to them for the free oil change and I told then that when I steer to the right it made a noise he said it was rust so i dont know if the last owner ever hade this problem or its just me but they told me they replace the breaks and rotors when they hade it in there back in march I mean car hase more problems but beside that lots of room and fun to drive ill update after I go to the hyundai dealer
  • dawozdawoz Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Sonata has 26K miles, and I just paid the Hyundai dealer to replace the rear pads and re-surface the rotors. The service manager explained how he believed the rear brakes wore out so soon: Corrosion on the caliper guide prevented the caliper from returning to a “rest” position once the brake pedal had been released. As a result, the calipers were applied continuously, resulting in premature wear of the caliper pads.

Hyundai subsequently denied my request to cover this repair under their warranty.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to cars, but after seeing several similar stories on this discussion page, it seems to me the premature wear of rear brake pads is a SYMPTOM of the real problem: the caliper guides are susceptible to rust. If that is indeed the case, we are talking about a VEHICLE DESIGN FLAW affecting a rather important component.

I urge those of you with similar experiences to a) Write a letter to Hyundai Motors of America; and b) file a complaint with NHTSA's Office of Defect Investigations. If anyone has another suggestion for follow-up, please share it with this forum.
    To all that are complaining about rear brakes wearing out "frequently" In the recent past rear brakes were simply along for the ride. They did little in stopping the car. I too had a 1987 Taurus on which the original rear brakes lasted about 100,000 miles. I said "wow ain't that great....go Ford" but in reality all it meant was the rear brakes did little in participating in the stopping of the car. The new Sonata (for certain and other makes as well) now has a brake proportioning valve that distributes the braking forces to include the rear wheels. This means that for the first time the rear brakes now have to do their fair share so....they now wear out! Suprise, things that work wear out.....
  • plainoldbobplainoldbob Member Posts: 1
    Since when are caliper guides a wear item?
    Those of you saying get over it's car and other stupid remarks sound like Hyundai reps or dealers.
    My '95 Honda @ 198K miles and 2000 Excursion @ 137L miles have never had a caliper guide wear out (I am the original owner of both.)
    I live in upstate New York where we get over 250" of snow per year.
    Our 2008 Sonata with 13K miles is now squeaking because the pads are hanging on it's caliper guides.
    If the brake pedal was hanging up causing the pads not to retrack, it would be a warranty repair.
    I'm complaining to dealer ownership then to Hyundai if I need to.
  • j_zj_z Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2008 Sonata. Dealer said it was normal at 20,000 to need new rear brakes.Before I looked at this thread, noone I talked to had ever heard of such nonsense. I do at least half my miles on the highway. Rediculous.

I had my normal mechanic take a look and he showed me that one of the pads was totally gone while the other pad had normal wear. The Hyundai dealership is just giving me the runnaround.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    If you are saying that on one wheel the pads have different wear it would appear to me that the caliber was not sliding corrrectly. You cannot fight city hall but that is a defect in the brakes.
    Caliper guide...PINS... are not normally a wear item...particularly at low mileage however they do wear out ( I just replaced them and their bushings on our Dodge). I guess you are referring to the guide pins when you talk about caliper guides. They hold the caliper sides together and mount the entire caliper to its support. The typical symptom of worn guide PINS is tapered wear on the pads. Otherwise I cannot identify what the caliper guides you refer to actually are. So, while I am neither stupid or a Hyundai rep or I will tell you that disc brakes on any brand of vehicle all work on the same principal using similar parts and the same technology. I cannot tell you exactly why your brakes squeak nor if that squeak means that there is some malfunction of the brake system or not. but if the pads are not hung up (not retracting) causing them to be "on" whether you apply the brakes or not then the only squeak must be when you apply them and this my friend is pretty much a normal noise....well, maybe not normal but not an unheard of owner complaint either. Further, if this is what you are referring to, then other than this "squeak" being an irritant to you it isn't causing undue wear. I may be mis-understanding what you are trying to say and if so........ Oh and reviewing this series of posts I see that you do not have any specific complaint OR post prior to this reply and maybe don't own a Sonata either, just your 2 cents right?
  • djado_yotsodjado_yotso Member Posts: 4
    Guys I just spoke with Hyundai corporate due to the fact that my 2.5 year old Sonata with 27k miles on has the grinding noise from the rear due to gone break pads. And I wasn't surprised when they told me they never heard other complaints about this problem. So my pledge to you is : if you havent called Hyundai in California please do so at Phone : (800) 633-5151
    Fax : (801) 736-3561.
    And if they Ask you what do you want tell them that you want to make a complaint. And after that file a safety complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)at theNHTA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. The more noise we make the better chanse we have for a fix by Hyundai so we don't have to change brake pads and rotors every 2-3 years.
  • ray78ray78 Member Posts: 27
    I owned a 2006 Sonata LX (traded for a new Sonata Limited V-6 ON 03/30/09) and it had 53000 miles on it. No brake problems- in fact it was never in the shop for problems-only for regular service. Best car I ever owned-9 new units in 25 years. No problems with my 09 Limited.