Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum Tire/Wheel Questions

ex_shelbyownerex_shelbyowner Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Dodge
I have an 05 R/T. I have had no problems with the car and have 19k miles on it so far, with the exception of the tires. Got 15k miles out of them and they were worn out. Rotated and balanced every 5k, and have no allignment problems. Continental has a real problem as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, their motorcycle tires aren't any better either. I replaced mine with Yokohama Geolanders 255-55-18, and am satisfied with them. They are exceptional in the rain.

Comments

• acejackacejack Member Posts: 1
    My Magnum RT has gone 23,000 miles mostly on hard surface roads. The tires have been rotated 3 times and were regularly checked for proper inflation. The tires show no indication of misalignment or other such mechanical problems, however, the tread is now worn down to the wear bars.

While everyone is astounded that the tires are worn out, neither Dodge nor Continental warranties the mileage on new car tires, so I need to buy replacements.

After checking with several tire dealers, the only replacement tire I can find in the right size are made by Continental. I have a lot of faith in that tire.
  • 'txride'txride Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my G35. Part of it was suspension geometry - very aggressive - hugs the road , but at a cost, part may driving style - also pretty aggressive. One thing that you can do is inflate tires exactly to specs. Yes you will lose some responsiveness but with bigger "footpring" tire is less punished. I tried it - works. Another thing, when replacing tires check treadwear and get highest possible(I believe OEM tires have 420, which is quite high - you probbably don't find much better on the market), of course, that all after you've made sure that alignment is OK
  • jburke6321jburke6321 Member Posts: 4
    If you have any info regarding your problems with your Magnum RT tires. I have 20k on my tires and there bald. I fighting with the Dealer, Continental and Chrysler. I have excessive wear on the outside of the front tires. Continental will not pay, since the tires are worn from bad allignment. Dealer says it normal wear. Chrysler says were really sorry....just see what happens with your next set of tires. Try finding a replacement for your 225 60 R18 rims....your left with ONE choice....the tires you already have. I have also had my Magnum in the shop, transmission was leaking after 10k, You can email me at jburke6321@gmail.com
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    The tires are my only complaint about my 2005 RT. At 12000 miles they are well over 50% gone. I have never even spun them in a burnout. Goodyear now has the size available and a number of RT and 300C owners are changing to a slightly wider size in different brands. For 2006 DCX is putting the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads on the Magnum/Charger RT and the 300C. They know the Continental's are crap and that's why they changed brands. Now, what does that do for us? Not much. It all depends on your dealer and area Continental tire rep. Some are getting new tires at greatly reduced prices and some are getting no adjustment at all. I doubt I will make it through the winter on my tires. To say they are a major disappointment would be putting it mildly.
  • jburke6321jburke6321 Member Posts: 4
    For all Magnum RT owners having problems with excessive tire wear, bad alignments and Continental tires, please file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    Many, on other forums, have found that by upping the air pressure, you can get better wear. For instance, I have the self sealing tires and am running 40psi in them. 11k miles and have experienced no noticeable wear.
    I have run 38 PSI in my tires from the beginning, but it has not extended the tread life so far. I think the tires have soft tread compounds and just wear out too fast. They certainly don't live up to the treadwear ratings on the side of the tire.
  • dfriedfrie Member Posts: 3
    I got Continentals on my '06 R/T, but only have 2500 miles on them so far.
  • shakeyfittershakeyfitter Member Posts: 5
    i have only eighteen thousand miles on my r/t and the tires are bald.. the continentals are junk...as for the alignment problem i took the car in with twelve thousand two hundred miles and the front tires were cupped on the outside.. the dealer told me that there was a service memo that stated, that all the cradles didn't get placed under the cars just right , and that they would have to be dropped and re aligned.. and that worked good for me but i paid for it.. now i too need new tires and i'm not buying continentals.. period.. they are worthless on snow and ice and im not real impressed with there cornering ability..
    i've never been one for law suits, but is anyone willing to look into a class action.. i have never bought tires that didnt last at least 25,000 miles. i now have 19,000 on these continentals and i'm to the tread wear indicator..you know it wouldnt be so bad if you could just roll down to the goodyear supplier and order new ones, but our choices right now are limited..
  • turbinebenturbineben Member Posts: 4
    Note to all of us with the crap continentals.....I have been running mine at 39-40psi since new...and have noticed no abnormal wear. I drive very aggressively and usually get no more than 20000 out of a set of tires. Three of them have a small leak, which of course the tire stores won't fix because they are self sealing. I will be upgrading to goodyears when these wear out. I also installed a new K & N air filter in the car, and the gas mileage went up instantly three-four mpg. I now average 24 hwy and about 19 city. Let me know if the class action thing progresses.
  • rscarlrscarl Member Posts: 1
    I have some info that may or may not be common knowledge pertaining to Magnum alignment and tire issues. My RT has 24k and I just replaced the tires two days ago. After 3 dealer alignments, re-balance, rotations evry 6k, the factory Conti's were wasted. I took the car to one of the best shops in the region who happen to have a Hunter P611 alignment rack. Needless to say the alignment was way out of spec. Not only that but the tech informed me that the left front caster was on the very edge of spec yet it was adjusted to the max. In his opinion the car was improperly Jigged on the assemby line, as he has seen MANY Magnims that exibit the same issue. There is hope though. The dealer offers a special eccentric sub-frame bolt that when installed alloes for further caster adjustment thus eliminating the Magnum alignment issue. As far as the "5" star Dodge dealer I was taking the car to since new, he reluctantly showed me a confidential memo from Continental to Chrysler stating that the Conti's compound was too soft for a 4,000 lb car and that complaints should be brought to their attention through the dealer. So, find a GOOD alignment shop, have the ecccentric bolt installed and re-align the car. My car rides amazingly well now with absolutly no drift. It is worlds beyond what it was.. Good luck
  • wildcat1965wildcat1965 Member Posts: 1
    My RT has conti seals , 22,000 miles , I have rotated per maint schedule . 2 dealers won't help , they don't sell continentals , suggested I call chrysler , Chrysler won't help , they say is a tire warranty issue . Continental sent me to a tire plus dealer who told me that continentals are junk and they don't support their product. Tire dealer stated that they'll tell you car is out of alignment , which brings you back to Chrysler > How does a new 35,000 car get out of alignment after 8 months & 22,000 hwy miles. I would be willing to jump into the class action lawsuit , let me know where to sign . My next step is to contact local media to expose this issue to the general public.
  • krasniakkrasniak Member Posts: 1
    I think the Conti tires are at fault as I can tell you from putting the Magnum RT wheels and tires on another car. I put them on my Honda. After about 40,000+ miles on my original tires, those didn't pull or shake, just wore down. After about 20,000 miles with the Continental tires, they pull, and shake and need replacing. I found these tires to be garbage and will be replacing with something different.
  • bigmac965bigmac965 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 RT Magnum ate a left front tire at 26,000 miles. I had had it in at 3000 miles for an alignment check for the pull to the right, and they said all was ok. On wearing out the tire, they told me it was due to not rotating the tires every 5000 miles, and that the alignment was out of spec. Alignments are not covered under warranty, per the service manager. Two new Contiseals at my expense at 26,000 miles. Rears wore bald at 35,000. Changed them to Goodyears. We'll see.
  • chopsonchopson Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem @ 22K tires are completely bald. The dealer is just trying to sell me another set.
  • mamabearmamabear Member Posts: 1
    I have Goodyear Integrity tires and they are fine on bare pavement, but with the snow we just got I am having trouble with fishtailing and skidding, and winter has only begun. Dealer says no problems with tires, and Goodyear says they only make Integrity for this size. Any advice out there?
  • hyrpwerhyrpwer Member Posts: 2
    I hope you go back to the dealer and ask for the factory adjustment bolt replacement as mentioned by the fellow a couple of articles up. The alignment is just slightly off to the right from the factory and without this special adjustment bolt replacement and a re-alignment, you will continue to have vague pulling to the right sometimes and it will keep eating tires. Your service manager should be reported to Chrysler for not doing his/her job.

Good luck
    thank you for that information.. i new of the confidential memo, but haven't seen it to date.. i am going to put on the goodyear comfortread and hope for the best.. my service manager admitted today that the conti's were junk, but offered no replacement adjustment..
  • 06awdrtmag06awdrtmag Member Posts: 1
    on my week old 06 awd rt i got the dealer to take off the crappy continentals which came with protection package and put on goodyear confitred's for $80 prior to accepting car. glad to have read about tire problems before picking up car from multiple forums.
  • magnum29magnum29 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,I have the 05 magnum SE,and the same constant pulling to the right sometimes left.Will these adjustment bolts work for me and how much did it cist you.
  • 300hemifl300hemifl Member Posts: 21
    I have been a 300C owner for 19 months and have loved every minute of it. My wife has loved the car as well, and instead of buying another one, we bought her a '05 Magnum RT with 14,000 miles last week. I see no problems (such as pulling) with the current tires other than some excessive wear.
    My wife would like some new wheels/rims for appearance purposes. I don't want to go to 22's since I feel this will really affect the feel/ride of the car, but would like 20s. However, the few dealers I have seen don't seem to know what they are talking about. They are giving me different answers (245/40/20.... or 255/45/20) for tires. Do I need 20 x 9 wheels or 20 x 8.5s?
    Also, what brand tires do you recommend? Goodyear Eagles? BF Goodrich? etc. I live in Florida and my goal is ride/comfort more so than speed since I'm hoping my wife won't be dragging around town. I really don't want to spend more than $2k total, and the wheels I like are going to run between $200-300 each.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • redrocket1redrocket1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I wanted to let everyone know that you now can purchase Cooper Tires for the Dodge Magnum. The 225/18s were released on January 17th. I just put a set on my Magnum and they were like night and day from what the factory put on there with their so-called "Continental" performance tire. The Cooper tires are "H" rated (high speed) very good in the snow and the ride and lack of tire noise is wonderful. Also the pull to the right went away. I did install the castor bolt kit to assist with the alignment.

After having to endure 30K with the original horrible excuse for a tire that Dodge put on a great car, I am loooking forward to some smooth driving and great handling.

Run!! Don't wait and get a set of Coopers today.
    What tire name has Cooper given the model that fits the magnum RT?
  • albertaboundalbertabound Member Posts: 5
    Tire is Lifeliner SLE (HV Rated)

Bridgestone has just recently released a 225/60R18 tire
    Turanza EL400 H. The limited reviews are very positive in all conditions
    Thanks! I have had great luck with Cooper tires on all of my other vehicles, so that is what I will replace my worthless Continentals with this summer.
    Had my routine service done at 15,600 miles and found that I am 1/32" away from the wear bars on the Continental OEM tires on my 2005 RT. I have never had tires wear out this fast, and I do not drive the car hard. I am going to go with Cooper SLE Touring tires that have just become available in the exact replacement size. I will never buy another set of Continental tires and if they are standard on a car I want I will require that they be replaced before I buy it. Such poor tire life is simply amazing in 2006.
  • jerrybojerrybo Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my OEM continental tires.The dodge house in Sherman Tx. replaced them for me at minimal cost. I now have 32,000 miles on my RT and have very little tread ware. There is a lot of differance between OEM and after market tiers by continental.
  • donnak1donnak1 Member Posts: 39
    Can I buy the Coopers for the SXT with 17" wheels?

Thanks,
    Donna :D
    Go to www.coopertires.com and plug in your tire size. It will tell you what products they have in that size.
  • tyresalezzztyresalezzz Member Posts: 3
    The Best Tires If you Are Looking for Orignial Factory Size Is the GOODYEAR iNTEGRITY ;)
  • sweetabeesweetabee Member Posts: 2
    I am extremly surprised that the tires on my Magnum 2005 RT needs new tires. They only lasted 28,000 miles.

I also have a pull to the right. They aligned it once and now it is happening again.

Help!

Is there a different tire I should be using. This is a great car, I really enjoy it.
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    I was told by the dealer that the stock tires that came on my 2005 Magnum - Continental self-sealing tires - were a real problem. That's why the dealer replaced them at no charge with less than 6,000 miles of wear.

That said, it isn't unusual for stock tires to wear out after 28,000 miles. The tires that came on my previous car - a Saab 9-5 wagon - wore out after 30,000 miles.

You can try the Goodyear tires that Dodge is now putting on the 2006 Magnums.

The pull to the right seems to be a prevalent problem, which your dealer should know about. Check other postings in this forum or on www.dodgeforum.com for more on this problem.

Good luck.
    Cooper Tires has their Touring SLE speed rated tires in exact replacement size for the RT 18" wheel. I put them on after my Continentals were toast at 16,800 miles. The difference was like night and day, and the Coopers are more reasonably priced than the Goodyears. I love my RT and the new tires make it better than it was new!!!
  • lennyskylennysky Member Posts: 8
    Is Dodge repacing the Continentals with a different tire under warranty since this seems to be a common problem? Do you lose the "self-sealing" option if you use a different tire? I Got my '06 in February, and it had the Continentals on it but I wasn't aware they are such a problem.
    Some owners have gotten some credit on exchanges, but if it was from Continental they had to put the same tires back on. That was not worth it to me. There was no way I wanted another set of those! They may have been inproved for the 06 cars, so you may not have a problem.
  • romannumalromannumal Member Posts: 21
    i have 25000 miles on my mag and i am getting ready to buy some new tires. i will not buy the same cont. that came with the car. i was told that the tire that came on the car was underrated for the car. i also was told cont. has a new tire that they came out with that is right for the car. dose any one know about the new tire or any ideas on what tire i should get and about the price for a good tire. thanks :confuse:
  • mike5806mike5806 Member Posts: 12
    I recently purchased a dealer's demo 2005 special edition SXT and it came with Goodyears' Integrity tires. Have not had them that long but the car does not pull nor have any other tire related problems. You might try the tire rack website in the area of the consumer survey to check out what other people have written.
    I put Cooper Touring SLE's on my '05 Magnum RT. They had the exact replacement 18" size and the difference between them and the Continentals was incredible. Ran a little over $100 per tire installed, balanced, and new stainless valves. I could not be happier with them.
    thank you that is helpful
    do you know if the continentals are run flats i am trying to find out but the dealer was not sure.
    Some of the Continentals were and some were not. On the RT, if you got the protection package with side curtain air bags and the cabin air filter, the self sealing tires were included. They are NOT true run flats, but have the goop inside that is supposed to seal a leak if you get one. The self sealing ones had the Contiseal name on them if I remember correctly. The bad thing about the self sealing tires is that they cannot be repaired for a leak if the self sealing feature does not fix the problem, they have to be replaced. The regular Continentals can be repaired like a normal tire.
    i have read that the run flats ride ruff. my sister has a bmw 5 and she can not stand how ruff the ride is. dose any one have info on any runflats. getting ready to replace the junk cont. on my mag rt.
  • 2005rtmag2005rtmag Member Posts: 7
    What pressure does everyone run in their tires? The door sticker on my car recommends 30psig. However, the maximum pressure on the Continental tires is 51 psig. I think I will try about 45 psig to see what the ride is like.
  • 2005rtmag2005rtmag Member Posts: 7
    The Contiseal tires have a maximum inflation pressure rating of 51 psig. In my opinion the Dodge recommended pressure of 30psig is too low. The car rides great, but it doesn't handle that well at that pressure. I pumped mine up to 45 before driving from the NC coast to Al, a trip of 565 miles. It was mostly interstate 20 with a speed limit of 70mph. I set the cruise on 80 mph whenever possible. I got 22.8mpg for the whole trip. My 2005 RT has around 2000 miles on it. I like the Continentals okay so far.
    I checked with Michelin and they have a 235/55x18 tire that looks interesting. I don't know what the cost would be.
  • equinephotosequinephotos Member Posts: 2
    The dealer told me I had to take it up with Continental, We did and they would not do a thing. I replaced the tires (Goodyears. They told me and I checked the tires are not covered under the car waranty,tires have their own (continentals)
    How did you get the dealer to replace them?

Thanks,
    Keith
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    The Dodge dealer where I bought the car replaced the tires at no cost with Goodyears. They told me the self-sealing Continentals were a major problem. I had a lot of other problems the first four months I owned the car. Since then its run like a dream - problem free.
  • edvmedvm Member Posts: 2
    Due to vibration problems in the steering wheel (alinement is OK)... I'm on to my third set of tires in two months! 4 brand new Integra's failed radial displacement test. Stiff tire. Upgraded to four more Goodyears softer sidewall and more gentle ride. Unfortunately, all four failed (out of round) within three weeks (progressively got worse). Very frustrating. I've ordered 4 new Michelin tires. Tire store stated that they have seen more trouble with Goodyear than other brands. Could be a sales pitch, but we'll see.
    Still waiting to be real happy with this Magnum.
  • mel377mel377 Member Posts: 1
    I have ALWAYS, since 100 miles off the lot, had serious tire / steering / alignment issues with this car. I finally did the smart thing and got rid of the GoodYear tires all together and bought "bridgestone turanza's" and a life time alignment check. It's been the best thing I have done since buying the car (which was a mistake) I don't think the Magnum is all it was cracked up to be. Sad really, it is a cool looking car on the road, if it would just drive like one. :sick: Mel
    Sorry you have had issues with your Magnum. My 3 year lease is about to expire on my RT and I am going to miss it terribly. It has been a great car, fun to drive, powerful as heck, yet with very acceptable mileage. It holds extra stuff compared to a sedan, yet drives like a sports car. It has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Sadly, I need to go back to something with 3 rows of seating, so soon it will be goodbye to a great car. My only complaint was the nasty Continental tires that only lasted 16000 miles.
  • dewey4dewey4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a clunking noise in the front wheel, the shop cant figure it out.Anyone have a idea what it could be?
This discussion has been closed.