Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty Problem Codes and TSBs

13»

Comments

• Options
    ovurtymeovurtyme Member Posts: 1
    Well your repair issues are not a BIG deal for any backyard Mechanic..For probably a 1/4 of the dealers cost. I have NEVER (in 35 years of car ownership) let a dealer touch any of my vehicles UNLESS it was covered by their warantee...Hell I find with patience and a bit of time I save THOUSANDS $$$
    For me...If Ive never repaired it before..Doesnt matter, I DO IT MYSELF and learn on the fly...If you think real hard Ill bet you can find a male friend who is Mechanicaly inclined or better yet fairly experienced...pay them to do the job.... At This point you are gonna pay the dealer more than the vehicle is worth. My dainty and mechanically challenged wife replaced her O2 sensor for the cost of the sensor $50.00 and about 35 minutes of her time most of that time was reading the manual.
  • Options
    liertymanliertyman Member Posts: 2
    Own a 2004 Liberty, i have recently become aware of low mileage/gal, rough idling and black smoke emissions, checked for code and got P0171, any ideas or diagnostic?
    Please help, need solutions........
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    That is a bizzare code. What I have learned with my 2005 CRD (diesel) is that the code that I can generate through the odometer are wrong most of the time. I do not know if that holds true for the gas Liberty. I have had codes come up for several things and yet when the dealer scans the OBD, it shows only one thing, like a glow plug or some other simple issue.

I would suggest getting the dealer to use their scan tool to give you the correct code before you or anyone here proceeds to repair the wrong item.
  • Options
    winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    P0171 is a lean condition picked up by the oxygen sensor on the bank where #1 cylinder lives. Look at:

1. Bad oxygen sensor (replace if needed)
    2. Dirty MAF (clean or replace)
    3. Vacuum leaks (vacuum lines, intake manifold gasket(s), etc.)

Start with these areas.
  • Options
    liertymanliertyman Member Posts: 2
    Ok Thanks, will clean MAF, then injectors and then check for leaks......will let you know how that goes...
  • Options
    jessicasunclejessicasuncle Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to help my niece long distance. She has a 2004 Jeep Liberty and the check engine light went on last night. Oil, water and belts all are good and no discernible noises are evident. I see posts talking about codes - how does she get to see these codes so I can help her with this problem? She is a young teenage girl with limited funds and I am trying to help within her budget, so all assistance appreciated.
  • Options
    nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2011
    This is how I read the codes on my wife's 03 Jeep Liberty.
    1) Insert key and turn forward as if to turn on car, but DON'T turn on. You will hear the chimes.
    2) Turn back to original position.
    3) Do this 3 times.
    4) On 3rd time leave key in forward position (do not turn on), the car will chime. Look at the odometer section beneath the speedometer, I believe. Otherwise, look under the tachometer, there should be a small digital display as well. If there is a code, it will appear there starting with the letter "P"..ie P0122, P0171...etc.
    This is off the top of my head since I am not in front of the vehicle. Our 03 Liberty had a stalling/rough idle that gave a code of P0122 (throttle position sensor) I ordered the part based on that code, swapped the part and the car runs great now. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    flyboy_53flyboy_53 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Liberty that is giving me a a 0700 code. The jeep runs fine with no slip in the transmission. What do I need to look at ? Thanks!
  • Options
    nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2011
    Wife's car just got a P0300 which indicates a multiple cylinder misfire. Her car was idling roughly and came close a few times to stalling with the check engine light flashing. Replaced the OEM spark plugs with Bosch 4 platinum spark plugs. Problem was corrected. Relatively straight forward job on the right side of the engine. However, a chore on the left side, especially in the back where the last plug is practically under the antifreeze container. Matter of fact, I cracked and broke the last plug trying to remove it. Removed what was left by using a duct tape tipped rod, sticky side up. Car runs like new again. Noticed quite a few cracked hoses and repaired. I'm sure it's just coincidence, but it seems I have more cracked rubber hoses on this car than all the cars I've ever owned.
  • Options
    lyn4949lyn4949 Member Posts: 1
    What other vehicles are interchangeable with Jeep Liberty 2002 3.7
  • Options
    firemedic75firemedic75 Member Posts: 1
    driving home from shift today, while it was shifting , the transmission shuttered and then went into limp mode. the following codes have come up. PO700 and PO734. from what I have researched, the 700 is a general trans code, the other something to do with 4th gear ratio.....anyone have any dealings with this

this is an 4x4 auto transmission
  • Options
    mommatreemommatree Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep has been overheating, I had the radiator replaced and the thermostat replaced.. its still overheating!! I am on a humble budget and recently lost my job,, I need someone to chat with me.. I have someone willing to fix it but hes not worked on a liberty!!!! I really need some help..
    I am not too savvy about my Jeep lingo I will try to keep up :cry: :sick:
  • Options
    nickellisanickellisa Member Posts: 1
    my moms 2003 jeep liberty has been having problems for the past week we lost the belt on highway and had to replace water pump as well replaced all spark plugs and 3 coils a few sensors and we are still having issues the car will not turn on without putting the gas on try to drive it and dies over and over again and dies immediately when trying to back up. it is also putting it would stay started longer if we disconnected a hose. any ideas of what to do let me know.