Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Problems

Comments

• 2007gxp2007gxp Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2011
    2007 GXP== Well car is still at the dealer , and I have been put into a rental for the repair time. spoke to the deal this week and he stated that the transmission needed so many parts that it was just 600.00 less then a new one. so they are ordering a new one from MI lansing sp? but it will take a while Did find out that GM has issued a service bulletin for the transmission on my year . The service bulletin is TSB , the service department person told me that GM now welds some of the parts together in the trans to make it stronger ??? When I get the final repair done I will be glad to list all work done . And will seek more info on the service bulletin TSB Any GM people on here got any info on that????? Please share ..... Think I will still car shop in the next year , sad cause I really like this car .
  • romierome79romierome79 Member Posts: 3
    should I put my vin on here or whats your email?
  • romierome79romierome79 Member Posts: 3
    I found a tranny online for $3100 and that includes them coming and getting my car with a lifetime waranty. All the others ive found localy only come with a 2 or 3 year wananty...I have a 2006 GXP
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    romierome79,
    My email is available in my profile. Just click on my name. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2007gxp2007gxp Member Posts: 6
    the service repair bulletin # is 707030012 I believe need to do some searching
  • rtaylor123rtaylor123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with 162k Miles. I've recently experienced an issue where while driving I push on the gas and the RPM gauge will push to 3k RPMs, however the vehicle will not increase to speeds higher than 35 miles per hour. The car had been stalling at low speed (around 15-20mph) occasionally over the past two weeks but today it would not increase speed over 35 mph. Since I bought the car I have had issues with loss of lighting on the radio, I don't assume that this is related but I figured that I'd mention it just in case. I suspect that it may be a problem with the catalytic converter. If anyone has any feedback on this issue I would appreciate your help.
  • n2everythingn2everything Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 and mine is doing the same exact thing. i have taken it to the dealership and now I'm told that my 2nd and 3rd gear is gone which costs me $95.00 for them just to tell me that. I think it's a shame that when you get the warning signs in the beginning noone can give you an answer and then in the end you have to pay just to get an answer not including the work to be done. hopefully someone can help.
  • marcelcmarcelc Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone, I have an interesting situation with my Grand Prix. Yesterday, I jumped in and went to leave for the store, put the car in reverse, backed out the driveway, and when I put it into drive the problems started.

In drive, it acted like it wasn't shifting at all, like trying to start out in third gear on a manual, even though this has an automatic transmission. RPM's went up, and it gradually picked up speed, then seemed to drive fine, until I had to stop. As well, the engine is running a bit rough.

Next, I noticed that I had lost power to my windows, I checked the fuse box next to the glove compartment, the fuse was fine, and it had power. On top of this, my heater is also affected. I had it switched to defrost when whatever went wrong happened, and that is where it is stuck. I cannot switch it to any other setting, and I cannot turn the AC on at all, just heat. The rear defogger does not work anymore as well.

Lights, blinkers, etc seem to be working well though. I have read through some of the posts on here, but haven't seen anything of this scope. I did notice a hot wiring smell the day before this happened, when I got home I tried to locate the problem, to no avail. Anyone have an idea of what could control all of this? Any help would be appreciated.
    marcelc,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing. Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed? P Lease keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    n2everything,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing. I am checking in to see if the issue been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • torttonetorttone Member Posts: 1
    Hello I am in a real pickle here..lol I bought a 00 Pontiac Sunfire a couple months back for a real great price only to find out the clutch was bad and it went up very fast. When I bought it I would go to get into 1st and second gears and it would hesitate, stummble, sometimes stall.
    I would be stepping hard on the gas but the rpms would remain low until I actually got it into third gear then it would cost just fine no problems. I thought it was the clutch that was causing all the problems because a little over a month and the car would not move anymore.
    I just had a new clutch installed from a friend of mine who does great work and is a mechanic and I went to drive off and what do you know the car is moving again but the same thing. Lack of power it seems, stalls sometimes if I don't get the sync just right and you step on the gas hard you would think you would take off but low rpm's. The clutch also smells like it is burning.I am not sure what could be going on he said I may need to replace the flywheel. I do not want to go out and buy one if it is something else. I have been trying to find out more info on it but come up short. Any ideas?
  • bbaisdenbbaisden Member Posts: 14
    Hi, I have a 2005 GXP that I took to the Dealer last year for the trans slipping. They could not repeat the condition at the time and told me to bring it back when it "got worse". Well it's a lot worse now to the point of the car not being driveble, which all happened in the matter of two days. My extended warranty expired a week ago. I have contacted GM regarding this and hopefully they will repair it, and I believe there is someone that saw a service bulletin for this very problem.
    Make / Models: Model/Build Years:
    CHEVROLET / IMPALA 2006-2007
    CHEVROLET / MONTE CARLO 2005-2007
    PONTIAC / GRAND PRIX 2005-2007
    Service Bulletin Number: 070730012
    NHTSA Item Number: 10021844
    Summary:
    4T65-E TRANSMISSION SLIPS, NO DRIVE/REVERSE, TCC SHUDDER, NOISE WITH TCC APPLIED. *KB UPDATED 08-15-07. *KB (DIAGNOSIS & REPLACE TRANSMISSION, IF NECESSARY). UPDATED 2/19/08. *NJ
    This is only ONE of the service bulletins regarding the transmission on these vehicles, there are others.
    GM is aware of this issue but isn't taking responsibility for it. I am personally not okay with that.
    Make / Models: Model/Build Years:
    CHEVROLET / IMPALA 2006-2007
    CHEVROLET / MONTE CARLO 2005-2007
    PONTIAC / GRAND PRIX 2005-2007
    Service Bulletin Number: 070730012
    NHTSA Item Number: 10021844
    Summary:
    4T65-E TRANSMISSION SLIPS, NO DRIVE/REVERSE, TCC SHUDDER, NOISE WITH TCC APPLIED. *KB UPDATED 08-15-07. *KB (DIAGNOSIS & REPLACE TRANSMISSION, IF NECESSARY). UPDATED 2/19/08. *NJ
    Knock on wood, HARD! I have had to have my starter, alternator, water pump, Oil pressure sensor, 3 batteries, and replaced the tie rods 3 times and now my trans is gone! Oops almost forgot the oxygen sensors 6 months after I bought it! It is not normal for a transmission to have enough metal shavings in it to fill a measuring cup especially when it has been babied. You are very lucky indeed my friend.
  • shiandrashiandra Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my car's drive (D) and 3 shift not working but the rest is. transmition problem? how to fix?
  • mbgp97mbgp97 Member Posts: 1
    Last night when i got off work i filled up with gas and mine did the same thing i work at advance auto parts im going to try the filter and new fluid i will keep this post in mind and let you know what i find out or you can reply if you have a fix
    Unfortunately if you are speaking to a 2005 to 2007 Grand Prix GXP, changing the filter and fluid are not going to do you any good. If your car is doing this your transmission is already gone. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.
    I am looking into filing suit against GM for the transmission failures in 2005 - 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, Chevy Monte Carlo SS & Chevy Impala SS. Anyone interested in re-cooping the cost of having to either rebuild or replace the transmission in one of these vehicles, please contact me. would much rather make this a class action suit than a individual suit.
    Check the tcc (transmission control circuit) it’s a fuse box under hood.
  • grandprix24grandprix24 Member Posts: 1
    hi Malone we have the same problem with my grand prix too. did you fix the problem? please let me know thankz man
    grandprix24,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer of choice? If not, I would recommend starting there. Please keep me updated.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lkcollinslkcollins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Grand Prix Basic model and I've experienced many problem i.e. engine harness, water pump, throttle body, tie rod, hub bearing etc.. On top of that I've had to maintain regular maintenance. Last winter I started noticing the trans slipping. Also, when the temp is below 50 degrees the car will not go in (D)rive; I have to put it in reverse first or wait until the car heats up. I would definitely be interested in re-cooping the cost of having the trans re-built, being that I will have to invest in that very soon.
  • adrianne1adrianne1 Member Posts: 4
    I also have a 05 Grand Prix Basic model, and I am having transmission problems I was told that I have to have mine re-built pretty soon! It is going to cost me about 2,800 I am interested in what you are saying!
    lkcollins,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? Do you have this work done at a GM dealer? Please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tiretrolltiretroll Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed at times it does not go into drive if I am moving backwards at all. I am talking less than 1 mph. I use tap shift for braking and it hesitates dropping in to first, from 25 mph. I have had the car for 14 months and it has about 97,000 miles. Has anyone notice this before a big problem?
  • 70gto45570gto455 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 GP GT. I had the same problem.
    CHECK THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. Mine was clogged and caused the engine and transmission to run rough, not shift well, not accelarate, all of the issues you are experiencing. Alot cheaper to replace a CAT than a tranny.
    tiretroll,
    If you think you are experiencing concerns I would recommend speaking with the dealer and having the car checked out. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    My 2005 grand prix when changes from second two third it feels like is going over a bump. The dealer told me to wait until the whole thing goes bad and get a new transmission, and another mechanic told me I have a problem with one of my valves and maybe the cluctch, and the pump need replacing. I wish I would really know what is really the problem!
    tiretroll,
    I had all the same problems that you are experiencing. The more I used the tap shift the worse the trans got.
  • macomb34400macomb34400 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Pontatic Grand Prix and once in a while the REDUCE ENGINE light comes on, I lose power and can't accelerate pass 30 MPH. Everyone tells me its the catalytic converter - Please help or how can i check the problem.
    I have spoke with GM Customer Service and they didn't offer any help. My car is a 2005 Grand Prix with 97000 miles and they told my the I would have to pay for a new transmission out of my packet. I think that there are so many people with grand prix having the same problem the gm should help us. Maybe that other person has the right idea about a class law suit!!!
    This is not right!
  • ezurawekezurawek Member Posts: 4
    My nephew bought a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix which now has 82,000 miles on it. The car ran fine until recently the transmission started slipping. We brought it to a shop and they said it needed to be replaced or rebuilt for around $2,800.00. He is an 18 year old college kid left with no parents...is Pontiac doing anything about this or is he going to be left with no car now too?
    I am trying to help my 18 year old nephew out, he is trying to put himself through college and has neither of his parents to help him. He came to see me over the weekend and the transmission in his 2007 Grand Prix is slipping so bad he can't drive it. We brought it to 2 places and both told us it was blown and needed to be replaced. It just started acting up a week ago and now we are being told it needs to be replaced?!?! There are several service bulletins as you pointed out. If Pontiac isnt addressing this I will join the suit. This kid has enough against him he doesn't need to be screwed by Pontiac now too. Please contact me.
    I have contacted Pontiac several times and they don't care about this problem that is happenning to many grand prix owners. I am so sorry that this is happeing to you. I wish they would take care of this. I have to take my car in to get the transmission replace too,. and they told me is going to cost me 2,800. I hope we can all get together and do something about this...is just not right!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Ezurawek,

Thank you for your post. We can look into the situation further (see if any recalls are associated to your nephew's vehicle specifically/help you work with a dealership towards resolving this concern). Please email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tomhahn2tomhahn2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a 2005 Grand Prix with the same transmission problem: slipping, long shift, the computer codes are a dictionary of transmission problems. Sarah, I will send you my information. Needless to say, I need a new transmission. I'm shopping for another car now. I'm 48 and since I was 16 I've owned GM vehicles. Unfortunately, it's become too much for me to continue to deal with these kinds of reliability problems.

The other day a guy in a 2005 Grand Prix pulled up next to me at a red light and asked how I liked my Grand Prix. I said it has a transmission problem and needs to be replaced. He replied "me too!".
  • anrgygxpdriveranrgygxpdriver Member Posts: 3
    I had the same issue. I ended up having the electrical hub replaced. Its the fuse box located under the hood to the left. Mine would get moisture in it from heat or humidity and the contacts were rusty and made my cars electrical systems respond with varying DBs. Had it replaced (GM part) for about $400....no problems since.

Good Luck :shades:
  • tom_ntom_n Member Posts: 2
    I'm on my third Grand Prix. For others with hard downshifting problems on OLDER 2000-2002 models, I found a bottle of Lucas Transmission Treatment worked pretty well.
    UNTIL THIS TIME.
    I own a 2008 GP GXP, and when I come to a stop sign and stop, then restart, the transmission is slow to go back into first gear. It hangs momentarily in neutral before slamming into low upon accelleration. Not real good for the transmission, and clearly leads to bigger problems. I would like to knnow specifically what controls these downshifts, and how to go about fixing it?
    Also, I wish I had a dollar for all of you complaining about GM transmissions.
    Safety organizations forcing recalls obviously think there is no danger in having your transmission malfunction in the middle of an intersection! Come on, GM! Where is your recall???!!!
    Tom_N
  • jziemerjziemer Member Posts: 1
    Surprise Surprise Another Grand Prix 2005 transmission problem ! I had mine in within 2 years and now with 79000 it's doing it every time the engine shifts as you go faster. GM should look into this problem !! Maybe this is why there are more foreign cars in America --- I have called dealership and will advise what is said..
    Looking forward to the update, jzeimer. If we can be of any assistance in the meantime, please email us more information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • copper354copper354 Member Posts: 1
    05 Grand Prix here, 106k miles. Trans started shifting hard into 2nd and 3rd gears yesterday, had it looked at this morning. Trans needs to be replaced. Who can I contact about this? Thanks.
    Just for my own information, was this diagnosis done at your dealership?

If you're planning on working with a dealership towards replacing the transmission (I understand this may not be for everybody) and would like to have Customer Assistance help in the process, please email us more information (including your name, contact information, mileage, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I would get a 2nd opinion because it sound like your trans. Need a
    (trans. Control module)
  • ed44087ed44087 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get any answers on what this is or any solutions? I have a 2007 and it does the same thing. It isn't everytime and some days more than others. Of course when I took it in they could find no codes and it wouldn't do it on the 10 minute test run. I'm at a loss.
  • hurtsmywallethurtsmywallet Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2001 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition- I bought it new. The dealership supposedly put a new transmission in when the car had about 35,000 miles on it (still under warranty). September of this year the transmission went out, had it rebuilt at a transmission shop approx $2700. After, it still shifts hard and they think its the computer. Great!

I did not go to the GM dealer because of all of the previous times I did they usually made things worse. Once I took it in and got it back-the cruise control didn't work after that. Then the window had problems and they replaced the rubber around the bottom, had issues forever, took it back in and was told I needed a new window motor and it would cost over $500. I went home and ripped the rubber out, thing worked fine (till the button shorted out-replaced that and the window motor still works, hmmmm) Another time I took it in 3 times for an oil leak-paid every time and it still leaks today. Had the power steering pump replaced and now it is going bad again. -Those were all at the dealer. Now for some reason, I get to fill it up every few weeks with a FULL bottle of coolant. Fun stuff. I loved this car when I bought it. Guess I know why they stopped making Pontiac.
    Ed - no, I got an email from GM asking for more information; which I provided about 2 weeks ago. I have not heard anything back since then. I have to figure out my next step because my nephews car is just sitting in my driveway since he can't afford a new tranny.
    Ezurawek,

I'm sorry for the delay on our end. There may have been some confusion on our end as two of us are responding to the emails we receive from Edmunds. Have you heard from Christina at all? Again, I apologize for the confusion and want to make sure that you are assisted.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah. As of today I have not been contacted by Christina regarding this matter.
    I am so very sorry about this. If you're willing, please re-send the email to either the address on my profile or to socialmedia@gm.com.
    Thank you for your patience,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    Now why would GM replace your transmission???? They are in the business of selling new cars mandated by smarter folks with the insight of knowing how to design and produce cars which you should have had in the first place..Otherwords, the old GM was a loser and now under the guise of Govt Motors, tough luck..$2800 is probably 1/2 of the Grand Prixs value..Let the car have a new owner by hook or crook..

Yes, I have a 2006 GPGT showing 64k, no tranny problems, but it has had its share of ilks..5 batteries, 3 steering shafts, 3 sets of tires, and new engine mounts..Picked this car up in 2007 with 4k miles at 1/2 price. I really don't have any complaints, but the first sign of a tranny glitch it will have a new owner..

The 260 hp S/C V-6 is fun, and the sunroof is a Fla must have, runs on a diet of "Royal Purple oil", changed every 6k miles, tire rotation at same interval, rebalance if necessary.. The car is vibration-free at flat out top end..Brake are original, never touched..

Having owned 54 cars to date, this GPGT is okay, not great, and will remain in my garage for awhile longer..Having owned 74, 76, and 77 GPs with big block V-8, those were fun cars, and took the abuse well..

If GM replaces any trannies on the cars owned by posters on this forum, I would certainly like to know.. Best of Luck..Happy Motoring.. next car is a 5.0 GT Stang..