Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Brakes and Rotors

andy2812andy2812 Member Posts: 73
Ok, I'll be next:

I have a 2005 G35x

6,000 miles - Front rotors resurfaced due to severe grinding when stopping and scored rotors.

7,000 miles - Front brakes and rotors replaced as grinding continued and rotors were scored again.

10,400 miles - Front and Rear brakes and rotors replaced due to grinding and scored rotors in front and loud squeeling from the rear. Had to get regional Infiniti rep to inspect car for them to cover it. Infinti Consumer Affairs jerked me around for 2 months before the dealer helped out was able to get rep to look at car. Hats off to the dealer for this. Also told by rep that is was my driving style. Funny, I've been driving the same way for over 20 years and never had brakes wear this quickly.

22,000 miles - Front and Rear brakes replaced and all 4 rotors resurfaced. Brakes were worn down to sensors. At least this time the brakes almost lasted 12,000 miles but this is still about 1/2 as many miles as I should have gotten out of them. Dealer was able to get Infiniti to cover front brakes so I only had to pay for the rears.

Not looking forward to having to replace brakes 2 or more times in the next year and a half until my lease is up.

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We can certainly have a discussion about brakes and rotors, but we can't use it to solicit for a class-type action according to the Membership Agreement. Please do not invite people to other websites or post email addresses asking for responses.

A couple of posts had to be removed. Email me with any questions. Thanks!
  • angryinctangryinct Member Posts: 4
    Ok, so I am reposting my info since my previous post didn't conform to the forum guidelines.

2005 G35X had to have brakes & rotors replaced at 16,500 miles. The rotor replacement is what particularly galls me. And when I asked 2 technicians at Harte Infiniti about it, they both said "well, the rotors are a little thin to begin, but really it's how you drive".

Is that the standard line that everyone else is getting. Making you sound like it is somehow your fault? Do they have no integrity to mention the problems on the 03-04 models and the fact that the warranty was extended to cover rotors as a result?

Has anyone successfuly received compensation in some form for these problems on a 2005 or later model?
  • lapolonyclapolonyc Member Posts: 1
    Damn, that is really bad!!!!

I have 05 Sedan and 41,000 i am still running on the original pads and rotors not problem at all just recently changed tires and the guy told me i got about 10,000 left on it, and i am not easy on my G so you guys should have dealer take care of you, that sucks.

I heard they had problems with 03 and 04 models, that is why i waited till 05 to buy it. I guess i should feel lucky
  • dkmdkm Member Posts: 19
    It is only the 05x models that have the problem. All 03s, 04s, and 05 G35x's only
  • rosie108rosie108 Member Posts: 17
    Do you know if they have fixed the problem? Do you think that 06 or 07 G35x will have the same issues?
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    The '06 X's have the larger brakes so there should not be as many problems. The '07's are a complete redesign. Hopefully the brakes were better thought out so as not to have problems. Remains to be seen.
    BTW, I have an '05 X with 38K miles. I'm on the original rotors, never resurfaced, but I did change the pads at around 22K miles for PBR Axxis ones to have less dust. The original pads still showed about 5mm of pad left. It was a good change for me. There is virtually no brake dust and the performance is superb for my driving style.
  • dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    Dealer just replaced my front pads and rotors under the old warranty for 03/04s.
    SA said the new pads are better than the new. Well, I don't know what better is. They do stop great. I did 'bed them in' to avoid any glazing, etc. Made a world of difference when I did have to stop quick.
    Now about 1000 miles later I notice the same scoring on the rotors I saw on the old ones. Not THAT bad, not yet.
    The rears are still almost like knew. He said 6 mils left on the rear pads and recommends check them again in 6 months.
    When the rears go bad I will likely just put in new pads myself.
    And unless the rotors are bad, just leave them as is.
    When the fronts go I will get my own aftermarket rotors and pads. I think the stock are fine up to the point you have to pay for them. :)
  • my_g35_sedanmy_g35_sedan Member Posts: 2
    hello,

I need to get new brakes and rotars for my G35 2004 Sedan. As most of you know, the brakes on these cars don't last long and Infiniti should be ashamed of itself for not taking more responsibility. Nonetheless, I need to replace them.

First question, what is the cost for a a set of four new brakes and rotors from the dealer?

Second question, can I get a better price with the same quality from another store such as Sears?

Thanks!
    Are you sure you need rotors at the rear too?
    If you can find a very reputable tire/brake/alignment shop I am sure you could do better cost-wise. They will replace with an OEM or equivalent rotor, and probably give you some choice as to the type of pad you want. You may want to get some quotes against the dealership's.
    Personally, not too hot on getting work done at Sears. I guess I am one of those scared off by the big service problem they had some years ago, although I never used them.
    Don't know where you live, but if anywhere near the SF Bay Area you can hardly go wrong with Wheel Works. Ask friends, neighbors for referrals. An independent mechanic specializing in Nissan/Infiniti cars, another one.
  • spineyfishspineyfish Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat. 2004 Sedan with 50K miles. I recently had my tires replaced and NTB told me I needed to replace front and rear pads and routers. They quoted me $930.81 for parts and labor. That seemed a little bit high. I called them today and they said if I bring in my own parts they would install them, but I have no idea where to begin to look for parts or what would be a good part. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input,

Pete
  • angryinctangryinct Member Posts: 4
    For those of you with 2003 and 2004 models, I've read on numerous message boards that, in response to numerous complaints and some lawsuits, Infiniti extended their warranty to include rotors for your model years (unlike us stuck with the 2005 year). Do a websearch for infiniti g35 brake warranty and then call you dealer back; get them replaced for free. Of course, they will be replaced with the same lousy pads and rotors that will wear out too quickly...
    This is true and might as well get the freebie as long as you can. The brakes do work very well though.
    Fortunately there are less expensive and likely better alternatives the next time around. There are probably not too many 03 or 04s left that have not gone over 36K miles or 3 years, but if there are you should take advantage of it.
  • kenndallaskenndallas Member Posts: 7
    I took my 04 G35 Coupe in for an oil change and they give me this same old S&D, second verse, that my brakes are almost in need of replacement AGAIN. They were replaced at 18K, these lasted 20K. So I emailed the SM and said it was interesting that they didn't check my brakes at 33K, while I was in warranty, but now that I am out of the brake warranty, they check them. The reply was that Infiniti doesn't want them to "look" for warranted items. But then of course when the warranty is up, they look all they want.

I think INFINITI has a ways to go if they want to play in the same league with Acura and Lexus.
  • matt_g35xmatt_g35x Member Posts: 1
    Our G35x had its front brakes and rotors replaced at 9000 mi. The Dealer fixed the brakes with a 'new design'. Now at 18000 miles the front are half worn out.

Thanks Infiniti.
  • gtd068agtd068a Member Posts: 1
    i bought my 2003 G35 few months ago with 43000 miles- 2000 miles before warranty expired. i took it to the dealer before purchase for a checkup especially because brakes did not feel right. they told me that nothing was wrong.
    ofcourse, 5 months later, the "slip" light comes on and i called the dealer today. he tells me that the brakes probably need replacment. ofcourse, the car warranty ran out at 45000 miles........
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Since when are brakes included under the warranty?
    Aren't they considered a wear item? :confuse:
    Is this special warranty coverage to compensate for the G35x brake issues of the past?
    If so, I call BS.

Do you have a slip showing you went in a few months ago?
    Off topic a little - Anyone have any experience with Burtman Industries brake products? They have a cadmium coated set of rotors and brake pads that are ceramic for under $700.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    I have a 2006 G35 Coupe with about 12500 miles on the odo.

Car is developing a new brake symptom. When I release the brakes, as at a traffic light, they grunt as they let go. Don't know how else to describe it. It's as if the calipers stick a bit when the rotors start to turn and then let go.

No other sounds or symptoms. No grinding, pulling, pulsing, squeaking, or spongy pedal.

Roll

The grunting is annoying though.
    If it is a sticking caliper, it could be the caliper, and it could be something more critical, like a kink in a brake line.

Options would be having someone look at it, or doing it yourself.
    Certainly doesn't sound normal though.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    I realized for the first time I guess... it only does this when the calipers are wet. ie in the rain.

Roll
  • drvic1drvic1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone owning a 2007 G5 experienced brake problems like in earlier years? I'm considering purchasing a 2007 and am concerned about all of these postings on brake problems.
    Those brake issues were resolved in 06 and have been completely upgraded and redesigned for the 07 model.
    The brakes in my 07 seem completely solid and stop on a dime.
    I'm also seeing very little brake dust on my wheels.

I had the same concerns when I started considering the G.

After much research, I jumped on board and this has been the best car I have ever owned.

A complete joy to drive! :blush:
  • yaeger1yaeger1 Member Posts: 10
    Just got mine 07 G35 Sport and glad to hear the brake issue is resolved. I do notice "grinding" like noises and was wondering if Infiniti's brakes are usually this loud? Tks.
  • aceisaceis Member Posts: 3
    I bought the G35 Sport 07 model in December 2006. I've been suffering pure hell since I made that decision. First the XM never worked. It took the dealer over a month to replace the unit after they tried to identify the issue 2 other times. The gear shift was replaced because of issues. Now the gear shift does not go fully into park. Ah, the brakes. They will continue to squeak. They have adjusted the rotors alongside everything else and they still squeak. They tell you this story about many manufactures having the same brake problem which they consider normal. Last but not least my car will not crank now. Just 3 days after getting it out the shop. Its completely DEAD. I know I got a lemon. I'm going to take
    my issues through my states Lemon Law procedures.
    No grinding in mine at all.
    The brakes are very quiet and super grabby.

Wait until your brakes are broken in and seated and see if the noise goes away.
  • yaeger1yaeger1 Member Posts: 10
    Sorry to hear that. This is a great vehicle but I'm sure that's hard to accept when problems like these arise. Hope things work out for you.
  • sunbu95sunbu95 Member Posts: 17
    My wife's 2005 G35X always had grabby brakes, in my opinion. She came back last week from the 30K checkup with new front brakes, front rotors, and four new tires, and a $2300 credit card charge. I feel effed. We are easy on brakes.
    But the 05x has known brake issues.... you are aware of this, right?
  • eastwingeastwing Member Posts: 78
    I have a 05 G35X and it recently had many warning lights on - brake, slip, and VDC off. By reading posts on this forum, I think it is brake issue. Does anyone know if it is possible to have it covered under warranty? Thanks.
    In my opinion 30K miles on a set of brakes for a performance sedan is not bad. But $2300 IS NUTS!! I realize some of this was for the 30K service but it seems too high. You could have done better after market and gotten much better feeing and possibly longer wearing brakes.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    I am assuming sevice and tires were performed at Infiniti dealer. If you replace with OEM tires, cost should be no more than $1000.00. So that leaves $1300 for new front brakes and 30K checkup.

I own a 05 G35 sedan with about 36K miles on it. My brakes
    are still ok, but pretty soon I will need rear pads. If I am
    not mistaken, 05 G35X has different brakes than mine. It is
    possible, they wear faster than mine. If they are same as 04 G35 brakes, then you might have chance to recover some
    of your cost.

Next time, do your research BEFORE signing OK to perform
    any service.

good luck!
  • burkeyburkey Member Posts: 5
    I have a 06 300C with 22K miles. Went on first long trip and noticed "shimmy and shake" when applying brakes. Took to dealer all rotors have runout .013" front, .020 rear. Is this unusual after only 22K miles? Defect in rotors or just have them turned? :(
    Depends on the thickness of the rotors, and the kind of braking you have been doing over the course of 22,000 miles.
    Constant heating and cooling causes that runout.
    It happens to all brakes, but smaller brakes or excessive usage cause this to happen sooner.

You may want to hop into the 300C forum and ask the other owners there.
  • gsportgsport Member Posts: 4
    i have 03 g35s 6mt 46k on it still on stck brakes those brembo are sweet making a litle bit of a noise when cold but other than that those things stop you preety good 117ft from 60miles and compare cars like nsx117, ferrari 360 117, or buggati veryon 115, so you figure
  • easman61easman61 Member Posts: 28
    I test drove a base G35 ('05) with 21k and loved it - until I stepped on the brake pedal. There was a definite rotor problem. Is this a warranty item or not? Confused from the forum here. The Nissan dealer has had the car for 75 days and they just marked it down from $26k to 21,997 which is supposedly $1800 below what they paid at auction. Seems like a lot of car for the money - but I don't want to be stuck with a big brake repair.
  • bobzeeagbbobzeeagb Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I read a great number of postings, on other web sites, about G35 problem breaks. My dealer changed all four breaks at 20,000 km, and now wants to change two front ones after only 20,000 km. Believe me; I do know cars. Moreover, I know how to drive. My second car, Acura TL, has 65,000 km without any break problems/issues. The G35 breaks are stock breaks, however I read that some G35 owners had Brembo breaks installed without further maintenance problems. Aside from maintenance costs, my biggest worry is car safety … will it stop at 120 km/h?

Has anyone changed G35 stock breaks with Brembo? Would dealer exchange breaks, or you had to go outside Infinity network? If not Infinity, who in Toronto (Ontario, Cnd.) can do this exchange? How much did you have to pay for this “pleasure”?
  • ticosticos Member Posts: 19
    Need your help. I have an 2003 G35 Coupe with 36,000 miles and the brembo brakes. The pads were changed on all four wheels just after 30,000 miles. I was told that the rotors were just slightly above the min. spec. tolerance so the next time the pads are changed the rotors will have to be replaced. Infiniti wants over $500 for each rotor and by the time all pads are changed as well I estimate the bill will come close to $3,000 with labor. I know Tire Rack sell rotors and pads for the G35 coupe but I need to know what is involved in replacing pads and rotors. Are there aftermarket components that are less expensive and of the same or better quality than the original brembo rotors and pads? I noticed that Tire Rack recommends local brake shops for the installation (any comments about this service?) Thanks for your assistance with the above.
    $3,000 for a brake job is complate insanity!

Brake jobs are actually very easy on most cars, but only if you've seen them done before.
    As for parts, Brembo is a great name... but it's not necessary for the rotors.
    The Brembo name shines in their calipers (the part that squeezes the brake pads onto the rotor).
    You can get away with aftermarket pads and rotors, and keep the Brembo Calipers.

I swear by Bendix brand, but that's just me.
    There's a lot of options for brake pads, including ceramic, which keeps the brake dust down.

The job will include unbolting 2 or so bolts which hold the caliper on to the car.
    You then pop the old pads out and after removing the master cylinder cap (where the brake fluid goes), you use any c-clamp like tool to squeeze the caliper's piston back... so it's all the way into the caliper again.
    Don't squeeze too fast or fluid may squirt out of the fluid reservoir.
    Then you have the room to pop the new pads into the caliper, which are held in with springs...very easy.

Before bolting on the caliper with the new pads, you pull off the old rotor and the new one goes right on, over the lug nut studs.
    If the rotor is stuck, tapping it with a hammer a few times usually loosens it right up.
    Rust builds up in between the rotor and studs and this sometimes causes a little work getting them off.

Once the rotor is on, replace the caliper where it came from and tighten your bolts.
    Make sure your brake fluid level is topped off and replace the cap.
    Start the car and pump the pedal a few times so the caliper piston can seat the pads.

Be easy on your new pads for 100 or miles, allowing them to seat correctly.

Of, and when putting the tires back on, please use a torque wrench.
    Over torqued lug nuts are the #1 cause of warped rotors.

-or-

Go to the shop and pay through the nose. :P
  • red01baronred01baron Member Posts: 1
    Ticos,

I'm in a very similar situation. I've got an 03 6MT Coupe with Brembos and 29k miles. I took it into the dealership and they told me that I need new front and rear brakes (rotors and pads). They claimed the rotors cannot be machined b/c they are so thin to begin with. The want $2600 for the full job! I then went to a local shop and they want $2800 and told me that the reason the price is so high is b/c there are no aftermarket rotors. Well that's obviously some BS.

So now I'm in the process of seeking out good aftermarket pads and rotors (is that all I need). I don't plan on doing the work myself b/c I'm not at all mechanically inclined.

I'm looking for advice now on which aftermarket rotors and pads to purchase and where to buy. I'm mostly interested in durability and less brake dust. I don't push the car very much so performance is less of a consideration. Any suggestions based on your experience?

Thanks!
    Not sure if they sell replacements for Brembos but Burtman Industries sells rotors and pads that I bought for my 05 X. It has the "small" brakes of the 03/04. The rotors are slotted and drilled and the pads are ceramic. These are fantastic. Virtually no dust, very smooth braking and they really bite when I push them. If they have a replacement for the Brembos, give them some consideration.
  • akdlakdl Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. Any luck on finding a nice set of cheap rotors? I'm in the same situation as you guys. I have an 03 coupe with brembos. I resurfaced them about 15000 mi ago and had my dad change the pads. I made it to 45000 with the stock rotors on. My dad is going today to see if they can be resurfaced anymore when they rotate my tires. I looked online and they said they can be resurfaced only up to 8mm front and 6mm back. I'm looking at my rotors now and I'm wondering what kind of rotors they are. They look like they have a lot more meat on them. They arent the cross-drilled slotted kind that I see everywhere when looking for rotors for my 03 coupe. Now I'm dumbfounded as hell? I'm curious as to whether this is the stock rotor, or an aftermarket rotor. I bought the car at 25000 mi. They have the brembo calipers but look like different rotors? If you guys find anythning cheaper than the $370 replacements let me know.

My brother has an 04 coupe with brembos sport package as well, I believe he has the same rotors, I have to look when he gets back :)
  • kreyturn2kreyturn2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone...new here. I have an 03 sedan and have had it from the start. The warranty has run out and I don't want to pay the $2500 the dealership has quoted to change out the rotors and pads. I am mechanically inclined to an extent. Is this a job I can do on my own? Do I head to a discount auto parts or should I head a specialty shop? I am excited about working on the car, but want to make sure its done right. Any thoughts?
  • bengal00bengal00 Member Posts: 1
    I have gotten great wear on my brakes and they stop quickly (although I do get a lot of brake dust), but due to the known problem the dealership replaced my front brake pads and rotors when my car was in the body shop last year under warranty. Now I need to replace the rear brakes (I have 80K miles on them or at least 45K that I put on them). I don't want to pay the dealership to replace them so my dad is going to do it for me, but I am having trouble finding the parts. First I was told they couldn't get the pads if I had VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) which I do, and thought everyone had. Now I need to know if my car has Brembo calipers because I've been told they require different pads. I have an '03 RWD G35 Sedan. Does anyone know how I can tell if I have Brembo calipers and does anyone have a good website to order the pads and rotors from? Thanks!
  • sportsnbikessportsnbikes Member Posts: 1
    :sick: I have a 2004 G35X. I am trying to change the rotors and brake pads. I can remove the caliper but there are 2 19mm bolts that I can't seem to loosen. Hell maybe I don't even need to remove them but I don't see how I could remove the rotor if I don't remove the 2 bolts. Can anyone help???
  • rbindonrbindon Member Posts: 4
    After you loosen and remove the 2 14mm caliper bolts and remove the calipers(hang them off the suspension with a bungee cord) and remove the shoes by sliding them off their tracks you must remove the 2 - 22mm bolts ONLY if you are changing the rotors or getting them machined. They are on really tight so use a long handle good quality ratchet and a lot of muscle. After they come off(2 bolts per side) you can now slide your rotor off. Reverse the steps to put it back together. Don't forget you will have to slowly retract the caliper piston with a C clamp to make enough room for the increased thickness of the new pads and rotor. Hope that helped. I just finished mine and it took about an hour and a half excluding the time to get the rotors machined.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    i just replaced our front rotors on 2005 g35x after 50k miles! only had to remove 4 caliper bolts total, and the 2 14 mm are on tight. Rotor is just stuck to hub and had to be banged off. there are no screws bolting rotor to car. I have no clue what the guy above is refering to. there are no 22 mm bolts around the rotor. Rotor is just hugged in place by pads once everything is on, then by wheels and lug nuts. hope this helps
    Yassy, with all due respect, 2004 G35X Sedans sold in Canada have 2 14mm bolt pins holding on the brake pads and 2 22mm bolts securing the caliper body to the car. Do you perhaps have an upgraded Brembo brake pkg. on your car?

I have done this dozens of times. The standard calipers in the premium G35X pkg is 14's and 22's............
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    no problem. you are right. only 4 bolts hold caliper together that need to be removed. there is no screw holding the rotor onto hub. Actually the 2 bolts that were difficult to remove were 18 mm. The other bolts are standard 10 mm bolts holding piston onto caliper on our g35x. dont know why infiniti would put diffirent size on yours, unless you have different brakes. on the x i believe the front brakes are smaller.
    Its odd that they have different bolt sizes for same model year. The last one I did was a late model 04 so perhaps it was already getting 05 calipers when it was built. Anyway they make for an easy pad replacement and a fairly easy rotor remonal if necessary.
  • g35lemong35lemon Member Posts: 1
    I just had a front wheel bearing replaced on my 2005 g35x. Under warranty, but makes me wonder about quality. However, they discovered a transmission leak and now I need a new radiator. The warranty ran out at 90,000 kms. I'm at 94,000 kms. And front rotors needed ... again. Is this a piece of junk, or what? My son has an 11 year old Honda Accord, and he's never had these kinds of issues. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I'm in Canada.