Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions

Comments

• ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    What are people paying to renew their satellite radio? I have been on the XM/Sirius web site and some of there prices are crazy. Are there any deals that can be had???
    I have heard of a $77.00 per year special they are running but don't know the code to use.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The deal is called the winback deal. Just ask for the winback deal. Might call a couple of dealers. For sirius there isn't a Winback deal. XM can use the winback promotion.
    Thank you.
  • bryanav8rbryanav8r Member Posts: 3
    Just recently picked up an 09 Jetta TDI wagon. Love the car. But...I have 2 other cars with XM versus Sirius. In digging around the net (Google is your friend...), I see that there is an XM receiver that appears to be a drop in alternative for the Sirius decoder in past years. Now, I know that SIR bought out XM, and so forth. But, I like (or am more used to...) the XM selections and offerings.

So..has anyone made the switch? I've got the 6 CD changer/AM/FM/Sat radio that's standard with the Sportwagen TDI; is the receiver that's been bandied about been tried on the latest models and has anyone had success with the swap?

I know I can take the spare XM Commander I de-installed from my trade-in and mount it under the back floor, stick the chicklet on the roof and run cables to the aux audio in jack in the armrest; I'm kind of looking for a more integrated solution.

Thoughts?

Thanks

BB
    09 Sportwagen TDI
    Life in the fast lane, with a DIESEL of all things...:)
  • rtmtelertmtele Member Posts: 3
    On our 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI we have the same instruction in the owners manual. We found that a quick touch of the CD button toggles between the CD and the AUX input.
  • Dave09Dave09 Member Posts: 1
    Please help!- Does anyone know the code for the radio when it goes into "safe" mode. 99 Volks. Jetta
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    It is in the owners manual when the vehicle was purchased new. The salesman should have reviewed the security code and the Keycode with you before you drove off the lot.

If you are unlucky enough to NOT have the code in the owners manual, then the radio needs to be removed and VW dealer can use the serial# from the radio to lookup the securitycode in their computer.
  • jguilbizzjguilbizz Member Posts: 1
    i find it funny how confident you are in your answer even though you are completely WRONG! If you have ever owned an ipod you would know that it will store and play MP3 files as well as AAC, WAV, MOV, MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, and AIFF files. You can look for your self
    http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You are getting confused with the word "supports".

Unless somthing has changed, an iPod device only *stores* music in the AAC format....no matter what format it is stored on your hard drive. The "iTunes" software does this for you under the covers. (during the 'conversion' part of the sequence)

The document you reference says it "supports" the other formats. This is accomplised via the iTunes software doing the "support" (by way of converting the files to AAC as they are sent to the iPod device)... not the iPod device itself.

And yes - I breifly owned a G3 iPod... it would only charge via a firewire connection to my computer, (would not NOT charge via USB!!) the battery was not user-replacable and the hard drive crashed. Apple informed me it would cost more than a new iPod to replace the hardDrive. I learned my lesson about Apple products and do not anticipate ever owning another one.
    For the 2009 model with Nav you will need 000 051 446 C which is the iPod cable for the Media-In interface. Supports both iPod and iPhone. Touch models also work. Charges the iPod/iPhone while driving. Your dealer should be able to order it and you can google the part number and find it as well. Should be around 40 to 80 USD but most people are getting for 50 to 55 USD.
  • f1refLy228f1refLy228 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased my Jetta, and I am trying to get Sirius radio. Anybody know how to get the ID number to activate. The people at Sirius SUCK and could not help me. I tried to set it to 00. but no id number appears... anybody else with this trouble??
    When we purchased our Jetta last year the dealer had everything set up for us. Have you checked with your dealer???
  • pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    check the trunk, there's a receiver mounted inside the ceiling of the trunk, maybe it has the info you need.
  • ikramericaikramerica Member Posts: 101
    This is so not true. You have no idea what you are talking about. The iTunes does not transcode into AAC before syncing with the iPod.

The iPod merely copies the files from the iTunes library. It does not convert them to AAC unless you specifically tell it to compress them to a smaller size before syncing.

Don't correct people if you don't know what you are talking about.
    It uses 4 random letter names for the files. All iPod files are MP3 but AAC files are probably kept AAC.
  • shamrock22shamrock22 Member Posts: 8
    What function does the iPod adapter provide vs the aux input? Can you control the iPod from the steering wheel? If the car doesn't had the adapter can it be added later?

Thanks
    Bluetooth can now be a factory option on a Jetta with nav. The kit does work on non nav units though. Option code is 9W3 and 09 Jetta TDI's and possibly even SEL's can order it. Bluetooth requires a MFSW and a highline cluster which only TDI, and SEL's have. TDI wagon owners will have to retrofit the MFSW in order to have it fully working which is very expensive. $275 is the price of the unit and it's pretty nice.
    Well,now that I have my 09 TDI sedan with IPOD adapter for several weeks I can answer my own question! The car does NOT have the Navigation option. There' little value in the $200 IPOD adapter. Best that can be said is that it charges the ipod. Basically, it makes your ipod look like an external 6 disk CD changer. I grouped my favorite songs into 5 playlists that represent the 5 'CDs'. There's no track name displayed except 'Track x'. The 'Mix' function doesn't seem like it's very random, First song in the playlist/CD always plays first. This may be an ipod problem, not sure. Anyway, the standard aux-in would have been fine.
    VW is working on next gen radios that will work with the MDI. The RCD-310 and RCD-510 can't come fast enough. The RCD-510 looks a lot like the RNS-510 but has no HDD, and no Navigation feature. It does have a 6 CD changer but you can't play DVD's on it. One of them is called Premium 8. Once they come out you'll be able to retrofit the MDI and get full integration. You must buy a special iPod cable though.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    You should have gotten 3 months of trial radio service. Your dealer is supposed to see that this is all set up at vehicle pick up. Unless your 08 was not a "new" car. I had both my cars that I leased the same day activated and ready to go. One car has XM and the other has Surius.
    I am not sure where to get the code. But, take it to your dealer to get it set up for you. They should go over it with you.
    Well why don't you save up and get the Premium VIII, MDI, and the MDI iPod cable. That way you get full integration. For 2010 VW is replacing the iPod adapter with the MDI. Of course they are including the iPod cable which enables the full iPod integration. It also plays USB devices but you have to use the iPod cable for iPod's not USB. The Premium VIII has a 6.5" touch screen but no NAV. No DVD video playback or HDD support like the RNS-510. The Premium VIII is known as the RCD-510 in Europe and it works great.
  • joelk01joelk01 Member Posts: 56
    I have an 09 Sportwagon TDI with NAV. The NAV unit has a "phone" button but it doesnt function without bluetooth. The dealer is supposed to install the bluetooth kit that is compatible with the NAV unit. The TDI steering wheel does not have any function buttons on the steering wheel - all control is done thru the NAV unit.

Does anyone have any experience with this phone setup?

Also, I've read different things about the compatiblity of the IPOD adapter cable for units with NAV. I also have an AUX in capability. I am interested to know if anyone has definitive info on using an IPOD in conjunction with NAV equipped cars.

By the way, my car came with a six-month sat radio trial period.

Thanks
    For the iPod cable all you need is 000 051 446 C. It gives you full iPod integration. It's the MDI iPod cable. You should be able to get it for around $40 or less. It works on 4th gen iPod photo's up to the latest one. Just get this cable at your local dealer and you should be fine in that department.

For Bluetooth you can install the Skoda unit or the 9W3 thats being installed on new models. It can function without a MFSW. If you really want the phone button you could retrofit a MFSW but that would be at least $800 since it requires an expensive steering wheel and controller. It might be cheaper if you used ebay. Your airbag would be reused. If you want the full functionality on bluetooth then you should get it. It all depends on what you really want.
    With NAV, the iPOD cable you cited will fully integrate the iPOD? What does "fully integrate" mean - you can operate the iPOD via the touch screen buttons and the iPOD contents are viewable on the screen?

The NAV system already has a phone button. I dont need one on the steering wheel. Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with VW bluetooth capability in conjunction with the NAV system.
    You won't be able to get voice dialing then.

Yes it will full integrate it the iPod. You can use the touch screen to control it and it will show it on the display. It works great on some units. It works really well. As long as it's made past the 4th gen Photo unit then it will work.

The Volk-L only acts as a headset and you have to use your phones send/receive buttons. The benefit of having the MFSW is that you can send/recieve calls. The Phone button is really a menu button which can access your contacts, latest calls, and touch screen dialing. The Phone button on the wheel would enable voice dialing. Only the 9W3 and Skoda unit do this feature.
    The dealer told me that there is no VW handsfree unit for an 09 Jetta that is compatible with the NAV system and a non-MFSW.
    Volk-L will work but it will be very limited. The other option is the Skoda/9W3 unit but you must have the MFSW in order to have full functionality. Without the MFSW you won't be able to do voice dialing or send and recieve calls. The MFSW is an expensive retrofit though. Same with the Bluetooth. The good modules cost a lot of money.
  • _javier_javier Member Posts: 2
    I have done some research on installing an iPod adapter kit for 05 New Jetta. I also bought the so called "radio keys" off of eBay, but my radio does not have the small slots for the keys to go into.

Hoiw do I remove my radio without having to remove any of the dash panels?
    RV65,

Thanks. A few questions. What is MDI? A cable or interface spec? Any idea of the price of an RCD-510(Premium 8)? I've seen the Bluetooth module for the RCD-510 or RNS-510 for up to $740 on ebay. Seems rather steep for a bluetooth module. I suspect the MDI Ipod cable is also expensive. Would I have to upgrade my dash? I have an 09 Jetta sedan, the MFD is red.

Thanks
    Shamrock22
    The MDI is the new interface adapter for USB and iPods. It will do aux-in if you buy a cable. The cable isn't that expensive. The MDI iPod cable isn't that expensive. For 2010 VW is replacing the stock iPod adapter with an MDI package. It also includes the iPod cable. The iPod cable for the MDI can be had for $40. I have no idea how much a Premium VIII will cost. I suspect this market to get saturated once people start swapping out their headunits for aftermarket ones. There might be some sellers that will sell them though don't know when. The RCD-510 is coming out this fall. The MDI costs about $257 at 1stvwparts part number 5N0 035 341 B and the harness you can get at kufatec.com. Order the Media-In harness. It will replace your armrest iPod adapter though. Part number 5N0 035 341 B does include the USB cable but you don't want to use it for iPods though since it won't work.

I've seen UK sellers selling the bluetooth unit for $550. This is the new D revision unit which supports A2DP aka Bluetooth Audio streaming. No dash upgrades. If you want voice dialing you'll need an multi function steering wheel which is expensive. Those retrofits are possible. The Bluetooth module and the RCD-510 will require coding. The bluetooth will need it to configure the unit. The RCD-510 will need it if you have the Premium amplified sound system. Set it as VW sound system to enable that. Of course the MFSW will require it if you want to retrofit it. If your car has it then you don't have to do it. No cluster upgrades though.

Finally you'll need a Sirius extender so you can use the factory sirius antenna with the RCD-510.

A long post and analysis but informative. Hope this helps.
    Part number 1Z0 035 729 D is known as the Skoda unit or the 9W3 system. 9W3 is what they are using in 2009 Jetta's with Bluetooth.
  • yellowjacket8yellowjacket8 Member Posts: 6
    What's the best one to get for 2007 jetta with sat radio and cd changer.
  • mcreffittmcreffitt Member Posts: 3
    I purchased cable 000 051 446 C and I cannot get it to recognize my ipod. It is a new 160GB ipod classic and I have done everything in the NAV manual that it says to do to hook up something to the MDI connection. When I hit the media button it shows an AUX input even though there isn't one and nothing will play when you select it (obviously, since there is nothing connected to the AUX-IN connection). I tried turning the AUX input off in the settings, but that doesn't work either. It just says there is no media available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Reboot the iPod by pressing Menu and the center button. That might get it to recognize it. Pressing the selection button also gives you access to it.
    selection button?
    When you plug it in it should go to the media-in screen. You can access it by pressing Media then Media-In. There is a button on the touch screen that says selection. Press that and it should list your iPod. Also try rebooting the iPod.
    that's the problem, where media-in would probably be after I press media (I would guess along the top with all the tabs of other sources) it says AUX even though there is nothing plugged in to AUX-IN....so there is no selection button on the touch screen
    Now I'm bummed. When I bought my TDI several weeks ago it came with the Ipod adaptor. Cool. I have always wanted an Ipod now I'll go out and buy one. A buddy at work had his Ipod with him so we went out and plugged his Ipod in. Funny the song titles do not show up. Maybe something isn't set-up right.
    Did some checking and unless you have the NAV package the titles of the songs do not show up on the radio display.
    Thanks VW for a worthless adaptor. But at least I saved myself $300 by not buying the Ipod I was thinking of getting.
  • dana19dana19 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a TDI with an IPOD adapter. It does the same thing where is only shows track numbers and no artist or song information. So you basically need to start the IPOD playing and plug it into the dock to access the songs you want to hear. I have been trying to figure out a way to convert it back {without pulling the radio} to AUX as the IPOD adapter is a waste of time. The dock doesnt support iphones as the cradle is too tight. You can force it into the dock but risk damaging the iphone. It would have been better if they had a dual jack to allow you more flexibility to connect devices.
    What does the 000 051 446C ipod cable connect to?? The ipod adaptor in the console and the bottom of the ipod? Does it connect to the back of the radio some way??? I found it online for $37.63 plus $8.00 shipping. I just need to know what connects to what.
    It only works unless you have the nav package. It plugs into the MDI. The MDI isn't compatible with the current radios. It also does USB, microUSB, and Aux if you have those cables. The MDI however, is compatible with the new Premium VIII radio which is a touch screen 6 cd unit that has an SD card slot. It does show the iPod text. The MDI is also known as the Media-In and it has full iPod functionality if you purchased that cable.
  • joem63joem63 Member Posts: 3
    I know this was discussed before, but was wondering if there is any new info. My situation: everything worked fine until I had to disconnect battery. Now Aux does not show up, regardless of how many times or for how long I hit the CD button.
  • dinkindinkin Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I have an '09 Jetta, but I suspect the radios are the same. I also disconnected battery recently. If I hold "CD" button down for more than 2 seconds, CD player goes into "mix" mode. On the other hand, if I press "CD" twice quickly, nothing happens. Formerly, the sound system would toggle into "Aux-In" mode, to take input from external mp3 players. Is there a way to reset the CD button to get the Aux-In to work properly? Everything else in the sound system seems to work great.
  • tbciitbcii Member Posts: 1
    Have an '09 Jetta TDI, with the Aux Auido Port in the Center console. Have a HTC G1, and bought a microUSB to 3.5mm Cable. Switched to the Aux Auido in on the jetta, and tried to play some MP3's. The MP3's only played thru the G1's external speaker.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks
  • 99tatum99tatum Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2003 jetta the raido turns on but no sound or function at all. Display says 95.1 not safe. As in safe mode. Tried securedy code did not work.
  • sitsatsitsat Member Posts: 10
    Posted in VW Jetta TDI forum but this one seems more on target: see below

Hey all - just took delivery of my silver 2010 TDI Jetta sportwagen and am loving it. The dealer forgot to include my circled option of an iphone adaptor, so I am trying to figure out the different options I have to push iphone content into the nav screen radio controls (no navigation system on-board), i.e. google maps, music, photos, etc. The armrest has a standard 3.5 femail stereo port, which I assume will only take audio off the iPhone (3g) but nothing else and I would need to control form phone, not nav screen. I did see a neat little adaptor from snedstation (https://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html) that would allow me to push audio from the phone and also charge to an alternate input, like DC lighter, but doubt this will push any media other than audio. any ideas?
    Just order part number 000 051 446 C.
  • whozjowhozjo Member Posts: 1
    I traded in my 2002 Jetta for a 2007 Wolfsburg last month- only 9500 miles on it - beautiful... though not thrilled to be without the audio controls on the steering wheel. In the old jetta I had a aftermarket sirius radio suctioned to the windshield ...I always thought it was tacky -but I love my Sirius... I promised myself that the next car would have Sirius, but this one doesn't and was too good to pass up. So I got on ebay and low and behold I found a VW factory upgrade audio system for a 2006-2007 Jetta with 6 disk CD changer and Satellite capability... whoo hoo! I bought it and its on its way. My question is: the antenna on the car is not a universal shark fin, it is the older kind... how will I be able to receive a satellite signal without attaching another aftermarket antenna somewhere on the car? Is the wiring there already for a universal antenna?
  • savs1savs1 Member Posts: 1
    Hellos,

I have the same issue with my '08 Jetta, did you find a way around this problem? I used to be able to just press "CD" and it would go into aux just fine, and now it does exactly what you described.

If you found a solution I would love to hear it, thanks a million in advance!!!

S.
  • leep4leep4 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2009 TDI and have been unable to find a micro USB to 3.5mm Cable.
    Do you remember where you obtained it ?
    Thanks, Leland