Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kibbleskibbles Member Posts: 8
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't have much time on my computer at home to get on the site and respond. Thanks for the warning. What do you mean run out of money? Interesing that they are dropping the Tribute. All the things I read make me really think. Where would I find a list of the recalls associated with the Tribute. I am not so good at surfing the web and don't have much time to either. We are broken up about getting rid of this SUV, we do like everything about it except the problems. What can we do? I can't be left with a huge repair bill. That was the reason for purchasing a NEW car. I would rather start off fresh with something new again. Good luck with your situation. Kibbles
    That's not bad at all. Maybe I'll just wait while they fix it if it is not going to be a 1/2 day. Thanks.
    Sorry for the delay in my response. I don't have much free time. I see now when re-reading your posting that you have a recall. Is it the same thing as the Tributes recall of the accelerator cable? My repair people are saying this isn't common. Liars!! LOL I don't believe the service department people when they say they haven't had any other complaints about the type of problems we have had. After my transmission was replaced, I can say that I have only experienced the problem with the stalling 1 time and that was about 2 weeks after I got it back as I wrote in an earlier posting. I haven't experienced any new problems lately. I am just waiting for something to happen. Sorry to post negativity here but, when you go out an by a NEW car, problems shouldn't start so early in the game. I purchased a new car for the same reason, reliability. Are you sure about your Lemon Law options? Kibbles
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Just because you buy a new car does not mean that it is going to be 100% reliable :)

That was the point I made earlier when I mentioned that I traded in a somewhat problematic Saturn for a very problematic Volkswagen. At least Mazda gives you a loaner, VW would just strand me, and I would have to arrange for friends to pick me up and take me to the dealer.

If you feel like your Tribute is unreliable and is causing you this much grief, then maybe you should trade it in. But like you mentioned, you are finding problems with every SUV out there, and believe me there are. The question is, what is the dealer doing about it if there is a problem. To your dealers credit they are trying to fix the problem and they offered you a loaner car.. Not sure how buying a Honda or a Toyota is going to be any different. My other car (aside from an 05 Tribute) is a 2002 Nissan Altima which has had 3 recalls and two other warranty covered problems but I am not complaining. I love the car and the dealer has resolved the issues and the only inconveinence has been dropping off my car and picking up a loaner.

You might be the perfect candidate to lease a new car every 2-3 years so you do not have to worry about warranty issues or resale.
  • mykeeboy34mykeeboy34 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 02 escape and i need a new transmission too. i am wondering how many out there are having the same issue and how can we can get ford/mazda to make it right. anyone with a similar story can contact me at mykeeboy34@yahoo.com. let's see if we can get the critical mass needed for a recall.
  • cfkerrcfkerr Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Escape with a leaky transmission. It has been to the shop twice. They say it was a problem with a grommet on the dipstick. It was replaced and it still leaks. It is back in the dealers shop today for the 3rd time. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    If it's blowing fluid out of the top of the dipstick, you have bigger trouble than an o-ring. The drain pan area in the transmission is pressurized, which usually means you have a valve body leak or some other problem.
    I am leasing this vehicle. Answer this, do you think that it is acceptable for a manufacturers to charge the amount they charge for vehicles and have the seriousness of transmission and engine problems at such low mileage? I don't. I'm a pessimist that bought a NEW car so I didn't have be inconvenienced by having it repaired, at least for the first few years. I already have an old car that goes to the shop once in a while that has 328K miles on it. Guess what, it is the original automatic transmission. Hence the need for a NEW car. Regardless, as you said, none are 100% reliable. Next time I won't get my hopes up. I don't think I will ever buy a new car again, only lease. I would really be upset if I had bought the Tribute and had problems since the beginning. I would have demanded another one to replace it. Hope I didn't offend you. Kibbles
    I am not offended. I definitely feel that modern engines and transmissions should last 100-150K miles as long as they have been properly maintained. Believe me, I too would be upset if I had a transmission go out if the car had less than 100K miles and I had properly maintained the vehicle.

I am a member of several other Tribute and Escape boards, and truth be told, while there have been other reports of transmission failures, this only seems to affect a very small minority of owners. One of the common themes that keeps popping up with the users who have had transmission problems is that the wrong transmission fluid was being used (Mercon V vs. Mercon).

I did not lease my Tribute, but before my warranty runs out, I will need to decide whether or not I need to purchase an extended warranty, get a new car, or keep the car and do nothing else. So far (4700 miles), I have had no major issues to date.
  • cfkerrcfkerr Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. Don't know much about this stuff and don't want to get snowed by the Ford dealer. Is this a repair thing or a new transmission.
  • huskerdoo1huskerdoo1 Member Posts: 13
    In everyones opinion if you had to choose between the 2, Tribute or Escape, which would you prfer and why?

Thanks, buying in next 2 weeks.
  • jag617jag617 Member Posts: 2
    Help...Please!!

I own a 2002 Tribute ES V-6, with 30,000 miles.

It is hard to write such negative information, about such a fun vehicle (...though thirsty!).

I have owned about 40 vehicles, in the last 25 years; including a 1980 RX-7, a 1989 MPV 4x4, and my daughter's 1999 Protege ES.

I have had nothing less than incredible service, and treatment...and all but the RX-7 were purchased at Foothill's Mazda, in Spokane, WA. My sales rep has been the same...and incredible...and my service advisor has been helpful, and very understanding of my dealing with Multiple Sclerosis.

Now, to the bad news...

The dealership has "lost" all of my service records. Fortunately, I keep EVERYTHING!! Unfortunately, I do not have the service advisor's notes...

Beside a couple of recalls, and a new one pending...my rear hatch glass still rattles; the transmission, when in cruise control mode, shifts down...but refuses to shift up, without my manual shifting of the column shifter, or "re-setting" the overdrive. The dealer has not been able to "duplicate" the malady...and I had hoped, a previous recall, would have identified, and solved the problem! Silly me! Hmmm...I wonder if this has anything to do with the transmission fluid issues to be discussed soon?!

The column shifter often fails to "fall" into the park detente position, and I must position it, with deliberate manual placement.

I do drive fast, and on curvy, paved back roads...but the car is serviced every 2500 miles; and tires rotated every 5000 miles...plus I always follow factory recommendedations, in regard to other service; with the exception, that I never go more than 25,000 miles between transmission flushes, and fluid replacement (more if towing often). I have towed a 2000# fishing skiff, approximately 1500 miles.

Back to the issues at hand! I reported, what I considered to be a "ticking" in the valve train, at 2500 miles...and the good news is, the service advisor "finally" heard it; and scheduled the car to be checked, while the passenger side windshield washer was being fixed, for the second time, in a month...

After the tech removed the head covers, and whatever else; the factory service people, indicated the cams needed to be adjusted?!

The noise is finally gone (...though I still occasionally hear the "tick!!" ...but ever so slightly!). I wonder how much "damage" was done, over the 29,000 miles; that the noise was only noticeable to me...well, and one other person, soon to be mentioned!!

I hit a deer this summer, with essentially no real damage to my vehicle...other than breaking the bug deflector. I did however, and am embarrassed to admit it, finally, myself, did a thorough inspection of the car. I noticed the inside edges of the Continental tires, on the front, were "shot;" and the rears were close behind!! I, also for the first time, noticed the "knock-kneed" appearence of the suspension. The vehicle, other than what I reported as "high rolling resistance," never showed any indication of misalignment?!

I took the car in for service, and was told the tires must be replaced, and the wheels , re-aligned.

My transmission fluid was "tarnished," and the brake fluid was "corroded?!"

It was then, in July, 2004, I noticed that at my most recent service, in May, 2004...the tech had indicated my tires were at 50%+!!

I had worn out my tires, in about 2000 miles?!

I was upset with the dealership; so I took the vehicle, to my friends/clients, Perfection Tire.

They mounted the new tires; and aligned the vehicle (minor adjustments to "toe in/out," and caster), but indicated all four wheels exhibited "severe" negative camber...and could not be adjusted.

They suggested the vehicle was overloaded...it is very full of fishing gear, and my dog's supplies; but it is all bulk, and no weight. The vehicle weighs far below the GCVW!!

The tech also pointed out, "you have an unusual 'tick' in the valve train!" What great news...I was not hallucinating!!

They had no explanation of how the transmission fluid, and brake fluid could be so "tainted;" but they did flush the systems, and change the fluids.

The dealership said brake fluid could go bad, because of condensation, etc., or that I was hard on the brakes...though the pads, rotors, drums, and shoes, are all indicating 50%+.

I took the vehicle to another Mazda dealer for service, about 6 weeks later...and had them check the alignment. They found as the tire dealer had...the negative camber of the wheels was excessive; and could not be adjusted to factory specification...though I could not get from them; after three requests, their final readings. Hmmm...

A week later, I took the car to Foothills Mazda, and paid for my THIRD alignment, in less than two months...and their brand new, state-of-the-art machine, "released" the vehicle as "acceptable!!"

It was odd to see their adjustments had been very slight, in comparison to the tire shop...and that they had made NO, or NEGLIGIBLE changes to the camber!!

I am having the tire shop rotate the tires, and check for excess wear this week...though they will only have to rotate the passenger side...as the Foothill's tech rotated the driver's side tires, mistakenly, last month; after they had adjusted the camshaft, and valve train...

I forgot!! It was, previously encouraging, when they determinded the battery to have failed (...replacing it, at "no charge!")!! I had started complaining about the charging system, at 15,000 miles?! Again, I was happy to find, I was not "imagining it;" however, AGIAN, hmmm....

It was just an oversight, during his "general vehicle inspection," I guess, that I drove away that day...with a bad headlight?!

It was good, that I happened to notice it(...via my reflection in the dealership window) as I left the service department!

It was also good that the service advisor came out to help me install the new headlamp; and just happened to finally "hear" the valve train noise! Isn't it great, how things "happen for a reason?!"

There have been several other minor problems...but I am being told so far, that the tire issues was normal wear, and tear; and that the suspension is "fine."

I was also assured, no abnormal wear and tear, had occured in the "maladjusted" valve train!! I am very confident!! ;-)

Mazda online, has said they must stand behind the dealer...and their judgment.

I must reiterate, my service advisor, and sales rep; have been exemplary, in their outward attitude...but I am feeling as if, either they think I am "nuts," or "Ford's mentality," has firmly been implanted into the "Mazda Psyche?!"

I would love to hear what anyone out there, thinks?!

My 36 months of warranty (...remember, only 30,000 miles on the vehicle!!) expires tomorrow...and I am trying to "brace myself," for the total, "vehicular collapse," I feel "lurks" in my future?!

I am afraid...very afraid!!

Thanks,

Joe Guske
  • huskerdoo1huskerdoo1 Member Posts: 13
    Sorry Jag,

Looks like a lemon to me, although they appear to be fairly helpful. If the vehicle is in such good shape see what they will give you on trade in. My guess is less then expected. I have not purchased my new vehcle yet but will in the next 2 weeks. I have been reading posts between the Escape and the Tribute to help my decision. The only way the dealership loses your paperwork is if the entire computer system goes bad or if they remove it.

sad
  • jgaryjgary Member Posts: 2
    I have a 02' Tribute 3.0 and 4WD with 64,000 miles on it. Tuesday, 2/8/05 I was heading to work when I noticed the rpm's shoot up very high and the vehicle not moving. I was able to manual shift it to low gear and manually shift it to get to work. After extensive diagnosis I now am told I need a transmission......at 64,000 miles!?! Of course Mazda's warranty runs out at 50,000. They refused any help at all with warranty coverage. This is a $3,000 repair!!!!! I offered to pay labor to install if they provided the transmission, but they still refused. I am heading to see the GM of the dealership. Martin Mazda in Newark, De. to see if they will do the right and honest thing in this situation. When I originally bought this vehicle, my wife and I purchased (2) Mazda's, the Tribute and a 626. We have also referred several people. I am really regretting this decision. There is no way you should have to replace a transmission with this low mileage on the vehicle. I am going to try to get satisfaction on a local level first. Anyone who has experienced a similar problem with transmissions can you please e-mail me. Thanks
  • jgaryjgary Member Posts: 2
    Jag

I have the same vehicle and am at 64,000 miles, I need a new transmission and they are denying my claim. The %@#!'s are hiding behind the warranty of 50,000 as it is written, rather than make the morally right decision and satisfy a loyal customer. My wife's 626 had similiar problems, it was in and out of the shop constantly. If I were you I would be afraid as well!!!
  • lmartin313lmartin313 Member Posts: 4
    Hello DC Driver - I have a Mazda Tribute I was wondering if you could offer some assistance on a good mechanic - I took my truck in for service and they are saying I need brakes & rotors before I took it in - no noise - now - a whole lot of grinding - I really believe they did something to my truck and I'm not a happy camper.
    Hmm. That sounds a little strange.. What year is your Tribute and how many miles? Is this a Mazda dealer? If I was you I would get a second opinion at a Midas type garage that specializes in brakes (not a dealer). My 02 Altima needs some brake work, and I cannot believe the difference in $$ between the dealer and my trusted mechanic down the street (about a $150 difference).
    Did you ever have any transmission work done by the dealer (PCM flashed, fluid changed, warranty work, etc)? If so, and you kept your receipts, I think you definitely have a case. There have been many reports of problems with the 01-02 transmissions on other Tribute chat rooms, and the underlying theme has been improper fluid replacement (Mercon V used instead of Mercon) at the dealership. If you can prove that the dealer used the wrong fluid, then I think you have a great case.
    I have a 02 Tribute - it has 62k on it. They want $515.00 for the Brakes & Rotors.
    I would definitely shop around. That seems kinda high.
    Thank you for your assistance - it is much appreciated.
  • jz2jz2 Member Posts: 1
    awd 2005 tribute V6 --- had to use the ac the other day (hey, it's los angeles) now the ac won't switch off. I'll take it to the dealer, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I think its a defective switch, green light stays on regardles off how I press the button. ac is off when the two controls (air direction and fan) are off but remains on even with heat. Other than that I like it.
  • mladehoffmladehoff Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2002 Ford Escape which was bought brand new. All highway miles. I also need a new transmission. Ford says there is nothing they can do for me. If I would have known that the vehicle would now only be worth 50% what I had paid for it; and now have to replace the transmission after 2 years; I would have bought used for 1/4 of the price. I will not do business with Ford again. I didn't know that regardless of mileage that vehicle life was only 2 years. I am disgusted with the whole situation.
  • escapedescaped Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Escape makes a soft (but annoying) ticking sound when I accelerate. Does anyone have the same problem or know something about it? I have had it in three times and they don't seem to know anything.
  • airbearmaairbearma Member Posts: 9
    It is highly possible that it is an exhaust manifold with a cracked flange. If the tick is louder when you have a cold startup then quiets down some when the engine warms up, that is your problem. I've had both exhaust manifolds replaced on my 02 Escape at 74000, and 84000 miles. The cost per manifold replacement is about $850 per manifold. It is a real cheasy design.
    After owning two great Taurus's. A 91 with 250K miles and a 96 with 190K and only minor problems with both, I bought an 02 Escape XLT. (Note never driven off road, oil changed every 3K miles, 95% of milage is highway.)

At 1500 miles, I noticed oil in my coolant overflow. Engine needed replacement.

Brought back 2 more times to have radiator flushed as oil kept reappearing in overflow. Finally got disgusted and flushed system myself.

At 12K had problem with radio and power port taking 2 to 5 minutes after starting car to come on. All relays replaced by dealer twice.

At 15K the cigarette lighter popped into the dash.

At 28K miles transmission died (fluid was never low or changed).

No more major problems till 74K miles. Both exhaust manifolds needed replacement. 1 had broken flange. The other had a cracked flange. Cost me $1750.

Had multiple alignments and usually tires would start wearing 4 to 6K miles after alignments.

At 84K miles needed another Exhaust manifold with 1 broken and 1 cracked flange. Cost me $850.

Between 84K and 89K had to replace two taillights, a headlight (connector was seriously corroded out), another cigarette lighter that popped into the dash, a delay relay for radio power, an ignition coil, the rear manifold is making noise again (haven't replaced it yet) and tire growl getting loud enough to cause concern.

Today (89600 miles) needed BOTH front hubs replaced for burnt bearings, brake rotors replaced (warped), and a rear hub bearing replaced. By bye to $700

Still has bearing growl on left side. Dealer says either new left hub they installed is defective or a transmission bearing is toast and would require transmission replacement at a 3500+ cost. They are going to try replacing the hub again tomorrow.

I have NEVER owned a vehicle that has needed so much repair and even trivial repairs like replacing a water hose can cost $200 or more.

If my current problem is the transmission then I will be saying goodbye Ford and hello Dodge.

If you are as stupid as I was to buy a new Escape, please purchase the 100,000 mile warranty as you will need it.
  • vagirl3232vagirl3232 Member Posts: 1
    I am in an exact situation with my Tribute currently! I also have an '02 Tribute 4WD that turned 64k miles last week. On my way out of town my rpm's shot up without the vehicle reacting with movement when the gas pedal was pressed. My O/D light flashed rapidly for a split second (so quick I questioned whether I really saw it!) I coasted to the side of the road and tried to shift to another gear to get a reaction. There were no warning sounds, lights, or oddities prior to this happening.

The dealership told me I needed a new transmission which would start around $3400. They would not work with me on this price. (although I have referred 3 new Tribute owners to them!)

When I found a $1200 quote from a transmission shop I was advised from my dealership that it would be a wise decision for me to take it elsewhere!!

I have just picked it up from the transmission shop with a $1400 bill. They knocked off $400 from the total bill since it was more than they had originally anticipated!! (and they dont know me from Adam!)

They also had to replace the Torque Converter, which had gone bad and in turn burned out the transmission. The dealership had not even quoted or diagnosed the Torque Converter! So this leads me to believe that they would have either charged me much more than quoted ...or not fixed it and I would have run into the same problem with the new transmission!

I have always loved my Tribute but now have to question the credibility of the entire scenario.

I wish you luck in getting satisfaction for your situation. I have been sitting here on line this evening and reading many similar situations with Tributes. I was truly hoping that I had just gotten a lemon and considered just trading it in for a new one. After reading the letters tonight, I am reconsidering!

Being a woman, I already feel that I am at a disadvantage when dealing with car repairs. I do, however, feel very strongly that although I dont possess a great knowledge of cars, I can be safe in thinking that this should have not happened to a well maintained vehicle with only 64k miles!

Good luck in finding an answer to yours! I wish much less frustration for you than I have experienced!

Diane
  • newstarnewstar Member Posts: 1
    Help a girl out. My roommate has a 2004 Tribute. Upon going to the dealer for a recall service she was told she had to replace her "air filter". She called me at work to let me know she was going to be later because they were replacing it @ $97. This was out of line to me because an engine air filter cost about $15. I told her to tell them that she wanted the old filter before she left. The tech that worked on her truck said that there was not one in there. Upon looking of the repair order we see that he did indeed "replace" the cabin air filter for the 1200 mile inspection. I have found this part on the mazda web site for $25 (she paid $58 @ the dealer for the part plus labor). To avoid a hassle they are taking it out and refunding her money. I am good with cars. How hard is it to install the part? Thanks for any input
  • boatfloydboatfloyd Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone have anything to say about Ford's Escape Hybrids? I'm thinking about buying one, but maybe I'm better off with a Honda CRV? Got any info.?

boatfloyd
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Use the Browse By Message Board to your left to find the Hybrids board. There is a Ford Escape Hybrid discussion there.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Tech was correct, these vehicles don't come with factory installed cabin air filters, but the housing is there, so you can install one. People use fram engine filter which fits perfectly into the housing. The filter is around $4, installation is very easy.
    Grabbed this from another forum:

How To Do It

1. Turn your Tribute or Escapes key on and then turn on the windshield wipers. Turn the key off when the wipers reach their full 'up' position. This allows you to get to some screws a little easier.

2. Along the base of the windshield on the passenger side you'll see some plastic caps that cover phillips type screws. Remove the plastic caps using something like an eyeglass screwdriver or pointy object. Be careful you don't let these caps fall into the engine compartment.

3. Remove the screws under the caps and pop the hood

4. Along the front of the plastic cover you just removed the rear screws from you'll find half a dozen more screws. Remove them by pressing 'up' from the bottom while turning with a phillips type screwdriver. You can use a flat bladed screwdriver to do the pushing. Once the screws are removed just pull up the keepers and stash everything in a safe spot.

5. Remove the cover. Under the cover you'll notice another good sized black box. This is the air box. Slide the top cover of the box forward and remove it. Now you're on target. This is where the filter will go.

6. Insert the filter with the 'large' side facing down. It will be a nice snug perfect fit. With the filter in place slide the cover back on, install all other parts in the reverse of the way you took them apart.

7. You might want to make a note someplace in your maintenance records to check the filter in a year and see if it needs replacing. In some parts of the country these things collect all kinds of pollen, seeds and other things that float through the air. Off roaders will probably collect a lot of dirt. Many of us will be able to use the same filter for years.
  • drurex99drurex99 Member Posts: 10
    I had the same thing happen to me. I was told I needed to have my cabin air filter replaced as it was passed the 12,00 mile mark and it had never been done. I went to Ebay and had 2 filters (with directions) sent to my house for about $15. I followed the directions and opened the cabin air compartment and guess what? I didn't nave a cabin air filter and 01 Tributes never have them. I phoned the dealership and spoke to the head of the repair shop and he admitted that they work off a list that isn't model specific. It's all generic. He admitted that unless you do off roading or live in a dusty part of the country you don't need to have the filter at all. I'll use the 2 filters I have then ....never again. I won't have work done at the dealership again either.
  • darwin915darwin915 Member Posts: 1
    I had that noise on my Tribute. I went to start it back in November and it had the same sound with loud clicking. We are having tranny issues on and off. It feels like it is struggling sometimes to gain speed and also seems like it is jumping while in Drive when stopped at a light. Been to Mazda 3 times and they can't duplicate it. We have less than 48K on the vehicle and it is a 2001 LX 4x4 6 cyl.
    I have the extended warranty and now they don't want to pay for my rental car that they provided since they can't find the problem. I am fighting that at this time.
  • doityourselferdoityourselfer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Tribute 4x4 that had a similar problem. It turns out that the rear differential was bad and had to be replaced. Fortunately it was still under warranty so I did not have to pay anything for it.
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Have a '01 Escape V6 2WD bought new in August '01.
    At present I've logged ~66K miles. Other than the standard recalls and some TSB issues I've not had any of the major symptoms of tranny failure, tie-rods, surging, etc. I don't know, I may be one the few (so far) who haven't posted a lot of problems on this board. Could be my problems may be starting down the road yet.... hard to say. First-off, I'm no mechanic by any stretch, but am interested in how things work, who makes them, etc.. I do know that a modified modified CD4E is in use in the Escape/Tribute. Originally, Mazda made this trans. and there have been numerous, documented complaints about trans. failure from
    60K-90K mileage in mostly Mazda 626's. Ford supposedly enhanced the CD4E for placement in the Escape/Trib., maybe not enough it seems.

My issue is that my dipstick says Mercon V while the owners manual says Mercon. So, I changed out with Mercon V with a complete flush, being informed that the dipstick has the final word. Maybe not too. One complete flush later to complete Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and seems to be no problems so far. I am flushing my AT system on average every 22K. As there is no problem manifesting itself now, I may be able to get by.
    My advice is simply to flush the A/T every 20-25K. All of the other flushes can be done at 30K.

So far so good, but we'll see down the road...
  • danandersondananderson Member Posts: 1
    V6 Escape sometimes cranks and cranks when cold starting. I have been using 85 octane. Only 40k on odometer
  • golocogoloco Member Posts: 1
    I'm having very similar problems with my 2001 Mazda Tribute. Last May the transmission had to be replaced at 40,000 miles. Since then, I've had an intermittent problem where the car has difficulty starting, the key locks in the accessory position, and frequently when I put the car in reverse, it just sits there and does nothing! It took 3 trips to the service department before they could recreate the problem. They told me that the column cylinoid(sp) needed replacing and that the ignition problem is separate. That, I'm told is the ignition lock and assembly. Of course, the warranty supposedly doesn't cover that part but I'm finding lots of information that the ignition for the Ford Focus, Ford Escape, and Mazda Tribute are all known to have problems and the same part is used for all 3. Good Luck with your problem.
    I solved the problem with my Lemon Yellow 02 Escape. I am now a happy 05 Dodge Durango owner.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    You may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. There's a reason they are practically giving them away. Check this site and elsewhere about the Dodge Durango. They get terrible gas mileage and have steering problems, ball joint problems (recall) and engine failures (sludge) galore.
    Don't burst his bubble, LOL
  • mikebc780mikebc780 Member Posts: 6
    My 2001 V-6 w/42,000 went into the dealer today with an intermittant check engine light, when the light was on, it would idle more roughly, when off, ran like always. Dealer called this AM, said compression in #4 was around 100, not the 150 or so of the others...the fix he said, is to remove head, look at valves, repair or replace, 5 hrs labor. We'll see, I have ext. warr. luckily.More later
    Did you ask your dealer what the error code was?
  • braverexbraverex Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Escape and we have just noticed the same thing in ours... We had a preliminary free inspection at the dealership and they said it might be the steering knuckle but we would have to pay $45 at least to get the specialist to look at it. We have about 38k miles so we are just past our warranty.
  • kybearkybear Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to help a lady friend purchase a car who wants an Escape. Are the problems that bad on this car, or are these problems few and far between? Any years to avoid??

thanks
    Matt
    Don't rely on single forum to decide and consider that lot of trolling going on these forums...
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Kybear : I don't believe that the Escape in and of it self is jinxed or made any worse than a lot of other vehicles. Just search the message boards and you'll observe that there are worse problems and challenges for other vehicles. I have an '01 V6 model which has been by and large as good a vehicle as I've ever owned (Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas, Kia, GM, other Ford products
    included). Before you buy new, just make sure it's mostly what she wants or needs in vehicle. For instance, my wife thinks that my Escape is 'too big' while her RAv4 is just right, though both vehicles are roughly the same size inside with minor differences in size on the outside.

If buying new, do a thorough test-drive or better yet ask if you can keep the car overnight for a better feel. If buying used spend the ~$100+ and have it checked over with a fine-toothed comb by a trusted mechanic. A thorough check should take at least a couple of hours.
  • chrisw1chrisw1 Member Posts: 1
    How do you use the door lock to open the door. I tried and can't figure it out.
  • rbarilerbarile Member Posts: 5
    I have an 05 Escape LTD. Occasionally the ignition key sticks when I turn the key to start. It is as if the wrong key was in the ignition. The car is under warranty but the dealer claims that since it happens so infrequently it will be difficult to find the problem. I think they should replace the entire lock. When it does stick, I try jiggling the steering wheel but it does no good. Eventually it frees itself but it is very annoying.
  • tributebluetributeblue Member Posts: 1
    Which Fram air filter fits the Tribute cabin air filter box?