Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Electrical Issues

Comments

• artm4artm4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I had much the same problem a few weeks ago. Turned out to be the dash board. Everything worked but dash guages and lights. went to a junk yard, cost me a hundred dollars but that was the problem. Takes 10 minutes to change. Art
  • ageanagean Member Posts: 2
  • ageanagean Member Posts: 2
    I am having issues with my '91 Ply Voyager's intermittent wiper operation. At first position of the sliding switch the intermittent works for a couple of minutes and then stops. At all the other intermittent positions the wipers don't work at all. Howevever when switched to continuous operation position I have no problem and the wipers work fine. I would like some advice pl on whether the problem is with the wiper motor itself (meaning I should replace the motor?), or could the problem be elsewhere.
    Thanks very much.
  • pat13151pat13151 Member Posts: 10
    http://www.eautorepair.net/

a really nice guy on one of the forums gave me a link to this site. I paid 13.00 and I'm downloading and printing all the factory info I can find on where the relays and stuff are located. This stuff was not in the chilton or hayes auto repair books. Unlike the mechanics I've gone to the people on the web are making more sense. In my case the common opinion is maybe a bad ground or relay which thanks to the guy who sent me that link I can now locate. I tried to explain to the last mechanic that the door locks ,vents, door ajar buzzer and windows could not all be bad if they work sometimes but not all the time. Now if I could find someone to help me track it down who isn't going to just shake his head and hand me a 3000.00 estimate :cry:
  • tooffytooffy Member Posts: 2
    well it gave me a warning about a week ago.. all gages, speedomitter,gas,temp, flickering off and on. goes off then back on, tricky trying to drive 55 with a speedomitter going up and down on you.. Now a week later, no headlights, no running lights, no dash guages, no speedomitter, no lights in dash , no inner lights...Where do i start looking??? Please help.
  • tooffytooffy Member Posts: 2
    thanks ken, i will check this with my van also...
  • peaches1154peaches1154 Member Posts: 1
    I lost my speedometer and odometer a couple months back. Husband tried to find problem and followed all the wiring harness and cleaned all grounds. Since that time I have replaced the speed sensor, computer, instrument cluster, and ignition switch. I have only 5 volts at the ignition switch, the body control module and the power distribution center. Have also replaced that. The wires giving 5 volts are pink, pink and black, orange and black and yellow wire. The van wont start even if try to jump start directly from starter. It turns over but no spark Any help would be appreciated.
  • lpaulcarterlpaulcarter Member Posts: 2
    This started after a situation where I could not restart the vehicle and while trying to start it I noticed all sorts of weird elactrical issues on the dash - guages and indicators going on and off, clicking noises from the starter when I tujrned the key, etc. I tried jump starting with no success. The tow truck operator was able to start it immediately, but as soon as he disconnected his cables, the van stopped running again. In the end I had the van towed to a mechanic, who said I needed a new battery. This got me going again, but now I have the flashing light issue and no front intermittant wiper function.

While they are flashing the other rear wiper and A/C lights don't come on, although their functions still seem to operate (without the indicator lights coming on). The only thing that doesn't work is the front intermittant wiper. After about 15 minutes of driving the lights stop flashing - at this point the front intermittant function still does not work but the rest of the lights on the rear wiper/A/C panel function correctly again.

In another thread I saw a description for a self test , but it was for different flashing indicator lights. I'm going to give it a try, but thought I would add this to see if there are any other suggestions out there...
  • lewparelllewparell Member Posts: 4
    Two days ago my vans door locks went nuts while driving (locking and unlocking) themselves. this stopped after i shut the van off and re-started it. today the open door dash light and interior lights came on and won't go off i have checked all door switches and all seem fine. i am lost is space with one please help if you can. Thanks Lew
  • pat13151pat13151 Member Posts: 10
    I'm not a mechanic and I'm still trying to figure out my issues but during my research I found out that the accessory relay in the fuse box under the hood on the right side can cause some problems like yours if it's going bad. If you turn the cover over it tells you which one is the accessory relay. I'm going to try replacing mine to see if it makes a difference. They run about 6.00 so it's worth a try.
  • curiousjoecuriousjoe Member Posts: 2
    Have a 1997 Grand Caravan that had the same issues with door buzzers, lights, etc. going on and off. I took it to a Dodge Dealer who charged me $80.00 for a diagnostic and told me the computer module probably needed to be replaced to the tune of $600.00. Then I checked another forum site and was led to check the door frame where the sliding door makes contact. There were holes where rubber pieces are supposed to fit in which were missing on both sides (left and right doors). This is where the push button (similar to the light button on a fridge door) meets the door frame. I put velcro pads in those spots and have never had the problem since. This was over 3 years ago! Hope you can save some money, too.
  • curiousjoecuriousjoe Member Posts: 2
    1997 Dodge Grand Caravan - Several others have posted problems similar to mine. All at once, all gauges will shut off, service engine light comes on and ABS light comes on. Turn signal indicator lights, radio, internal lights and everything else work fine. No changes in mechanical performance of the car. After a day or two, sometimes within an hour, everything comes back on and the service engine light eventually goes off.

One post said he replaced the dashboard and it worked fine after that. I would be willing to try this. I am not willing however, to replace everything under the sun as some have said they have done and not had the problem solved. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks
  • bladerunner5bladerunner5 Member Posts: 2
    Your timing belt has broken; Easy to check, remove the oil fill cap, get someone to turn over the engine..check inside the oil cap opening to see if the cam is turning....probably not. If you plan to have it replaced, also replace the water pump, it's a lot of work to replace the belt, so it just makes sense to do the pump while they (you) are in there. :)
  • howiestephhowiesteph Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 grand dodge caravan. the left side passenger door does not work when you press your button on your key chain, on the console above mirror or the botton as you get in. in only goes so far when closing and opening and the same distance both way. is there any way i can fix with out having to go get it fixed. help
  • johnnyhp1johnnyhp1 Member Posts: 3
    All the lights on the Air/ Heater panel blink. I drive the van for about 4-5 mile the lights go off?? The heat and defroster s work. After I restart the van the lights start blinking again???
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    .. for blinking panel lights here on Edmund's, and you should find your solution easily.
  • dfirkadfirka Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Our Plymouth Voyager starts, but I cannot move the gear out of Parking position. The brake lights work OK, Can you give me any advice on common causes for this problem? Anything I can check being just an amateur.

Thanks!
    Daniel
  • ltd1ltd1 Member Posts: 13
    2002 Caravan's heater/a.c. suddenly won't work nor fan. Suspected fuse and looks like 40 amp fuse for front fan is okay. Would that mean it is the larger blower fan relay fuse or module that is bad? Are these testable or easily replaceable?
  • dfirkadfirka Member Posts: 2
    Appearantly the problem is the solenoid that releases the gear.

I only need to move the car out of the driveway, so if there is any manual way to trigger the solenoid so it will allow the shifter to work.

Thanks
    Message 184 resolved this
    The left front blinker will not blink. The 2 light bulbs in there work but don't blink? All other blinker lights work? Also the left hand blinker signal is twice as fast as the right blinker? I cannot find a fuse that specifically says left blinker? Help!
  • circusfan88circusfan88 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you figured out what the problem was. I am having the exact same problem, it seems to be worse in the cold weather. The ignition switch and front control module were replaced, but neither fixed the problem. Dealer recommended replacing the ignition cylinder, but I fear it not fixing the problem and being out the $$. Please help! (I have a 2001 Chrysler Voyager)
  • besttechbesttech Member Posts: 1
    i had a service engine light on my 97 plymouth voyager 3.0l sfi i attached an obd 2 reader on the data link connecter but it did not power on i attached it 2 another vehicule and it worked perfectly any reason 4 no power coming 2 the link i checked the fuses and they were ok
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Whoa. Seriously.... if you expect a reply, you have to at least write in such a way as to be reasonably interpreted by another. Fortunately, my cryptographer was on-hand today. :P

I think what you said was that you cannot get an OBD II reader to connect to your Voyager. I assume that you used the proper sequence to connect it: Turn the vehicle off, plug in the reader to the port, then turn key to the 'on' position.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • saviorsavior Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have the same problems with my 2000 Dodge Van. All the gauges and the gear selector PRND3L light have packed up. The ABS and the Service engine lights of the information center are permanently on. In addition, the rear wiper stopped working. Checked fuses and okay.
    Any viable solution will be highly appreciated.
    Savior.
  • above49caravanabove49caravan Member Posts: 1
    How did you determine that the wiper motto was the issue? I am finding that if I touch/hold the wiper control that it will stop, otherwise my wipers also go out of control.
  • rjerseyrjersey Member Posts: 2
    If it happens again try a master reset, 1. disconnect battery terminals (both), 2 turn on ignition,and headlights, 3. let sit for at least 10 minutes more preferrable, 4 touch both terminals together to drain the last of any residual current, 5 turn off headlights and ignition, 6. reconnect battery. The van may start right away it may take a couple of cycles. This problem just happened to my wife's van and the process seemed to help that problem.
  • gegruntgegrunt Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1996 Dodge Caravan with a non-functioning windshield washer pump. I picked up a kit at the parts store that is nothing but a pump motor, it looks like it must mount right on the bottom of the washer fluid bottle. Am I correct in this assumption and can someone tell me how to get to the fliud bottle to replace it?
  • vanlover7vanlover7 Member Posts: 1
    i have purchased a 2001 grand caravan which is loaded.the other day the fan stopped working for the front control so i had no defrost.the next day it was working again but when i shut the vehicle off and restarted it fan was not working again.checked fuse was ok.12v at fuse holder.need to get in to fan.never got behind dash console before does anyone have suggestions on location and helpfull advise.
    1st time repairer appreciates help!!
  • amycnewamycnew Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased this van TODAY was told on 5 seperate phone calls that it only needed one thing , so we went and bought it was a low price ,, anyway we got home the headlights , brake lights and radio are not working when u turn the head lights on it makes a constant buzzing sound and for some reason when u put on brake it goes away but let go it comes back its very weird we have replace dthe bulbs and the van runs great but i have no CLUE on how to fix this or what to look for i really need some help , i need to get it on the road but know it wont pass inspection if u can help me or have any idea why this is happening please email me at amycnew@verizon.net i would appreciate it so much thanks in advance!!! :shades:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm thinking that you've been lied to and that your best bet would be to take it back and demand that your money be returned.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • ringaloriringalori Member Posts: 3
    I have next problem with the Voyager 1996:

- not working instrument cluster, all the gauges at zero, no display for distance or trip

- not working wiper intermittent

- not working speed control (tempomat)

- when loocking the doors it unlock imediately

But, sometimes when driving, the instrument cluster start working.

I have already check the fuses, relays, conectors, remove the BCM and reinstal, resolder conector on instrument cluster panel, put the ground (-) wire direct to pin 7 on instrument cluster conector because I do not found the ground G200.
    Disconect clockspring conector, disconect conector on HVAC.

Any idea?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Ideas? Yup.

This sounds like a classic instrument cluster failure. Back in the mid 1990s many manufacturers (including Chrysler) started using different solder to comply with new federal guidlines, unfortunately that new solder compound hasn't proven to be as durable as the old stuff.

What this means to you and your van is that one or more solder connections in the instrument cluster have failed. The good news is that the fix is (apparently) quite simple. Remove the instrument cluster and touch each solder point with a hot soldering iron for a moment or two, just enough to cause the solder to re-liquefy, and then put it all back in. If you sift through this thread you should find reports of others doing the same thing, and if you query the web at large, you should find even more reports of how well this fix has worked. That said, our 1998 never suffered from this problem so I have no firsthand knowledge of the actual removal and replacement procedure for the cluster.

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • dcousensdcousens Member Posts: 3
    Our van has dash lights, but there is no speedo, fuel, turn, or hazard lights the head lights and day time running lights are working. no high beam. I have removed and re set the 10 amp fuse at the ioc location. All other fuses check out ok. If it was the bcm, would i still have cluster and head lights.
  • dcousensdcousens Member Posts: 3
    The 2002 dash cluster problems, as it turns out a quite common. the main fuse box corosion, both plug connections and non visable circuit corrosion inside the box. replace the box. every thing works fine.
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    And 2 years later, that was still a helpful answer. Thanks!

Ryan in Oregon
  • harpman1harpman1 Member Posts: 7
    Hello--I just bought a Caravan from a local mechanic shop. The owner brought it in because the speedo wasn't working.The mechanic thought it was the BCM and put one in from a different year and he said it went nutz with door locks cycling and some other weird things.He tried another BCM and it would no longer start. I put the original back in and all the accessories work(cept the windshield wipers just stop wherever they are when you turn off the switch) but nothing happenes when you turn the key to start the vehicle.Seems like the van is in a lockdown mode like the antitheft is restricting the fuel from getting to the injectors.I can jump the starter from the relay and get it to turn over.Does anyone know how to reset this to run? Thanks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is anyone reading trouble codes or are we all just guessing at this point? If you have codes, post 'em.

Visiting Host
    My dash doesn't work and my OBD-II code reader detects no issues.
    what about a professional scanning tool? They can often read things that a hand-held can't.
    Does that mean I have to have it towed to a dealer?
    I replaced the bcm with one that has the exact same part number but it was from a van with security and some of the accessories that work with the original bcm don't work with the replacement but the odometer and shift pattern light up with this bcm.Also the low beam relay blinks the headlights continuosly and when I try to start it nothing happens except for the horn starts to beep in the alarm mode,
    Well no, what I was implying was this--that with these totally weird and multiple electrical problems one has to have a starting point--some indicator of the possible component, or circuit, this is malfunctioning.

I guess if you got a factory wiring diagrams you could patiently trace back to where all these symptoms might inter-connect. The fact that you get different results using different BCMs does not encourage us that this is going to be all that simple.
    OK I removed the speedo and resoldered all the connections on the PCB and reinstalled it.Still doesn't work or start.There was a third bcm lying on the floor of the van that I tried and it provided different functionality.The gas gauge now works but the odometer and shift pattern displays light up as soon as the battery terminals are connected without inserting the ignition key.Power locks don't work or front windows but the rear vents operate.I had the fan working with the original but now none of the BCMs provide function for it.Oh ya with this third BCM the power door locks shudder the whole time it is connected! At least I know my dash works---well I haven't been able to test the speedo or temp gauge.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Do you ever get different functionality from the same BCM after you have un-and-re-plugged it? I half wonder if some of the problem may be the quality of the connection itself....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The only function that changed was the fan for the heater.It worked when I first got the vangafter swapping a 40 amp fuse(it didn't have a fuse) and now nothing.Each BCM responds the same every time I put one in.I removed all the connections that people said might be suspect and cleaned them all includine the ground to body and all the battery connections.I'll hit the boneyard this week and search out a BCM.
  • adaddyadaddy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 05 and the only damage i need to repair is a cracked b pillar. Can anyone explain how to remove/install the part once I obtain a replacement?
  • ccbdowccbdow Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have joined this elite club----same problem on my 2002 Grand Caravan, I took it to the dealer and they tried replacing the ignition switch---no solution---tested the main control module---no solution---they think it is in the wiring below the battery because of corrosion from the battery box---sure seems like to me it has to be at the ignition switch level due to my accessories are working in ACC position and the ON position just before starting---then they go out----usually come back after 10 miles or so----variable. Anybody have the solution to this yet, I could really use it too. Thanks
    OK Had some time to mess with this issue this week.I luckily found a BCM from the same year van with the same accessories and the same part number!I Even had the guy pop it back in and connect the battery so I could test its functionality so I could have a positive point of reference.When installed in my 98 Caravan the dash lights up and most of the functions work cept the blower and the directionals.So I thought about all of you that said that after pounding on the dash and the instument panel came alive that your van would start and since I have a lighted dash for the first time I tried jumping it from the starter relay(still get nothing from the key)but alas she would turn over but not start.So I tried checking the ignition switch and it seems to test out to be working properly and I even traced the starter wire to the fuse/relay panel under the dash and when I put my meter on it so I could see it from the drivers seat it produces 12 volts when the key is turned at the starter relay terminal.OK so I tried some starting either since it seemed to be energizing the ignition and when I jumped the starter relay terminals sure enough it would run on either! So it's not providing fuel for some reason.I tried manually jumping the fuel/auto shutdown/etax shutdown/relays with their covers off in a number of different settings but no luck.Oh ya the blower will work if jumped at the relay just like the starter!
  • dude88dude88 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 08 grand caravan and i was having trouble starting it. So i took the battery out and brought it over to advanced to have it tested. They told me the battery was internally shorted. So i bought another battery.

Heres where the trouble begins.....

I wasn't paying much attention when putting the new battery in and i put it in backwards. I tried starting my van and nothing lit up on the dash at all. Then i realized there was a little smoke coming from under the hood. I then realized what i did. The smoke was coming from under the fuse box.

I did a little research and found out that the TIPM is under the fuse box. So i probably fried the TIPM. I just really need to know if i screwed anything else major up, or if there is some sort of protection device in the TIPM or something.

Help please :(