Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Electrical Issues

Comments

• donnac1107donnac1107 Member Posts: 1
    I went in to get my oil changed on Friday and the place recommened I do a transmission fluid service. So I did, when I picked up my car, I found that my headlights don't work anymore??? The high beams work but the normal lights don't work. The mechanic insisted that he did not do anything, but why would a perfectly working car going in, come out with two headlights not working anymore. They just don't turn on. Anyone have any ideas? In order to do the transmissions service the mechanic mentioned that he connected so wires to my batteries, could that have shorted out anything? I am just so angry. :mad:
  • kimberly912kimberly912 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to disconnect the security system. I checked with the dealer, they ran the vin# and it can be don without recourse. I have an electrical problem,
    Replaced BCM & TCM, Starter, Ignition switch etc. This has been going on over 1 year. Car will not stay running. Got Code that the TCM wasn't sending information.
    When you go to start the vehicle and turn the key to forward auxiliary and it the gear indicator light is on, the van starts and runs fine. But if there is no light, you can start the van, it will run for 5 seconds or so then shuts off. I have talked to different dealers and service people. Been told that maybe the security system is interfearing with things. It can be disconnected or buy a Key Bob which I have never had or needed. I to have phantom wipers. For no reason they will come on then go off a little later. Can anyone offer any other information or suggestions. Don't want to put a lot of money in this, but when it runs, the motor and transmission are fine.

:(
  • spartans5spartans5 Member Posts: 1
    Recently had our 2001 Chrysler Voyager Malfunction Indicator light come on and 1 mile later car turned off while driving. Could not restart car and battery was fine. All panel lights and indicators fine, car will just not turn over. Car had been fine up to that point and car was taken to shop. Diagnosis was a failed solenoid on the leak detection pump. Would this have caused the car to shut down and be unable to be restarted?
  • jeff5280jeff5280 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: My 98 Grand Caravan has an intermittent electrical problem. Occassionally, the instrument guages cease to work, the gear shift position indicator and odometer go blank, the ABS light comes on, and the automatic door lock feature (locking the doors when the car hits about 15 mph) ceases to function. After a varying period of time the dead instrument panel suddenly comes back to life as if nothing was wrong. During these events the ABS system works fine (despite the indicator light illumination) and the power door locks work just fine if you toggle the switch, so the ABS and lock systems are fundamentally sound. The dealer can find nothing wrong with the car after extensive searches. Any help?
  • lwchen28lwchen28 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, everyone,

I just met a serious problem that the rear-wiper and A/C light are always flashing when I jumpstarted the engine (it was dead suddenly). How could this problem be? Could it be radiator fuse relay or other electrial issues? Thanks!
    :sick:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Don't sweat it, it's a simple computer reset that you need. The following is copied from another forum and while I understand the procedure works, I cannot personally testify to that fact.

With engine on set blower motor to high, set mode position knob to panel (i.e. full left), open all A/C outlets, set temperature to cold (both levers if so equipped). Now press the wash and rear wiper buttons on the A/C panel simultaneously for 5 seconds (until all LED's light). This should get the test started. Assorted lights on this panel will flash as different tests are run. Eventually if the tests are passed the rear wiper LED should be the only light flashing. Push the rear wiper button to exit test mode and you should be home free.

Let us know if this works.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks so much for your suggestion! I will try to see if it works.

Thanks again
    Liwei
  • greenfamilygreenfamily Member Posts: 1
    What did you find out??? We have the same van and sounds like some of the same problems. It is at the transmission shop right now (2nd time in 3 weeks. It keeps throwing itself into 2nd gear, we just replaced the speed sensor and solenoid pack. Was working great and then... did it again. Just wondering what happen with your van.

• 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I doubt it. I had a torn diaphram on my LDP, and only set off a check engine light, with a trouble code of "large evaporative leak". Car started and ran normally.
  • charles23charles23 Member Posts: 5
    out what was wrong, dh got tired of me and the kids getting stranded and he bought me a newer van. There might be water in an area where the computer is that is shorting out the BCM. Has your mechanic run diagnostic codes? Ours did and this is what he found after four hours on the computer trying to find out what that code meant. I think it was 1788 or 1728. It worked for us a few days, then back to the same problem, but we had not done what you just replaced. We just weren't willing to keep spending money on repairs. It's our only transportation. Hope that helps!
    Hello!
    I solved the computer reset problem according to your prodedure, but I got another serious problem: The radiator fan was still running when I turned off the engine. After the radiator fan stopped running 20-30 min later I tried to start engine again and failed to start it (it was dead again) and the dash panel are dark. Could it be radiator fan relay problem? I met with this kind of problem about two years ago and the mechanic replaced the radiator fan relay. But I hate to go to auto repair shop (it will cost a lot of labor fee) and want to replace it myself.(If it is this problem with replay). Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • bigdcbigdc Member Posts: 2
    This problem started a month ago and I have no idea how to fix it!
    When I turn the key off the running lights stay on,the high beam indicator light on the dash stays lit!
    Up till now I have been unplugging the head lights at the lights under the hood to save the battery!
    The head lights work fine high and low beam but the high beam indicator is always on.
    Any help would be much appreciated. :(
    I'll look in a repair manual I have a little later and see if has any information on the fan relay. I'll let you know what I find out. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bigdcbigdc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 91 Grand Caravan that was doing the same thing ,my mechanic replaced sensors computer and more to no avail.
    Some one suggested testing the fuel pressure,after doing that it was decided it was the fuel pump.
    Made sense as we had replaced the gas tank and it was after that it started to act up, to make a long story a little shorter after trying two used pumps and not fixing the problem I installed a new pump and have not had a problem since ( 14 Months ) .
    Don :)
  • wscramwscram Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan and when it is turned off and unattended the parking lights and tail lights come on by them self. Some time they flash. Also when driving the car some times the lights just go off and come back on. Any ideas.
  • ccarbaughccarbaugh Member Posts: 12
    I got a 2002 Lxi. Recently it has been acting wierd. When I open the driver or passenger door the parking, rear and fog lights go on. They never did that before. It does not have auto lights either. Now when I open the door and they go on, if I turn the light switch to parking lights then the fog lights go off but parking light are still on. If I then pull out the switch for the fog lights then all the lights go off just like the switch is set to off. If I turn the switch to full lights then they work fine and if I pull out the fog lamps they turn on. It is just like the Off and parking light/pull out fog setting is mixed up. Anyone heard of this problem and any suggestions what to do? I thought of disconnecting the battery and see if that will reset it. thanks
  • dbrejdadbrejda Member Posts: 1
    Here's a reply I received today from an "expert". Haven't tried it yet. If you learn anything, please let me know.

Answered Question

Subject Plymouth Voyager Car Alarm
    Question 98 Voyager, bought used, power locks, no remotes, alarm arms when doors lock. Car alarm has started going off in the middle of the night, other times, etc. for no reason. Is there a way I can disable the alarm?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer At least we know it's installed correctly
    which is actually a good thing here.

Ok, try this.
    Put the key in the ignition, and turn forward
    all the way just before cranking. Then within
    5 seconds, locate, press and hold in the
    valet/overide button, found under the
    dash area, (push button, spring loaded)
    until the installed LED (the blinking light)
    in your dash area goes on solid,
    and the siren chirps once.

(Your valet switch might be the toggle
    (on/off) type. in this case, key on,
    flip switch in opposite direction,
    then turn the key off.)

This should reset the alarm, and reset
    the grounded relay on the starter wire,
    allowing you to start the engine.

At this point, the only thing working would
    be the keyless entry from the alarm,
    if it came equipped that way.

Just Repeat these steps to place it
    back to usable armed mode.
    You may get 2 chirps, confirming it,
    and the lights may flash twice as well.

That should do it.
    If you want to remove it at this point,
    take it to your neighborhood installer
    for this, or buy the wiring chart
    (Go to: www.vehiclewires.com)
    for the vehicle, and reverse engineer it wire
    by wire, until safely removed.

If it does not work out this way,
    you will have to replace the system
    with one you know how to operate
    and what to expect. Don't want to
    get stuck in another bad situation.

I hope this helped..

Robert Martin/CEO-ALARMTEK
    DELUXESERVICE.com
  • tucsantucsan Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you got your answer yet, but I have been experiencing the same problem on our 1998 GC. Happened today during a snow-fall; I had to drive home with no heat, no wipers, no windows! Just figured out what was going on. Somewhere (either in this string or another user group thread on this issue) there was a reccomendation to check the key rotation in the ignition. So, I went out and tried it. I found that our ignition is is warn enough that the key will stay too far forward (not enough to keep the starter running contniously) - far enough to kill the wipers, blower, etc. I guess these must be shut off during an ignition crank, such to provide enough amperage to the starter. Anyways, I found that if I rotated the key back just slightly (not far enough to turn the engine off), I could get all the accessories working again. Try it. You can find the "sweet spot" without even starting the car. If you rotate the key in the ignition to just before the point where the starter kicks in, you can move the key back and forth and find the point where the electronics work/don't work (try it with the blower on so you know its working.
  • bailey101bailey101 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Dodge GRand Caravan, I don't know what an LXI is, but the left blinker would sometimes not work. Then the headlights would stay on after the car was turned off. So my husband took it apart and the lights wouldn't come on at all when it was started. He was going to bypass it and just give me a seperate switch for the blinker and lights. Then the interior lights wouldn't turn off and the engine wouldn't stay running. So he said take it to the dealer. I hope to find out today what is wrong and will let you know. :confuse:
  • lavilalavila Member Posts: 1
    Thank you very, very, very, much. I followed your instructions and the flashing wiper problems were fixed to a "T".
    The only lights that are still flashing are the ac button and the recirculating button. I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan.Do you have any instructions on how to turn off those blinking lights.
  • david46ldavid46l Member Posts: 2
    94Dodge Grand Caravan, 230K miles, 3.8 engine. One night I got home and noticed my brake lights were stuck on after shutting everything off. It being late and dark, I decided to pull the fuse and fix it tomorrow. While doing that I shorted something on the fuse panel with my pliers, causing a spark. Next day, I smelled burnt insulation. i checked all fuses and they were OK. Even the brakes were working properly when I put the fuse back in(it was OK).

Several things did not work, however: Remote control, electric locks, radio, ceiling lights, and the ammeter guage(Other guages OK).

The owner's manual speaks of a circuit breaker behind the center column. Could that be the culpret? If so, exactly where is it and what kind of circuit breaker is it.

I checked all the wires I could see, and no burnt places.
  • mopar413mopar413 Member Posts: 2
    Did anyone find an answer to the question. My 98 caravan is doing the some thing.
  • dodgeman3dodgeman3 Member Posts: 1
    When I turn on my van right running light comes on, turn on headlights and the right light stays on, switch to bright lights and the right one turns off and the left one comes on. when they are on bright and you pull and hold dimmer switch both are on. I have replaced both headlights and the dimmer switch. Please help!!!!!!!!
  • jsilva2jsilva2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Aprendiz,

Just went through this myself. There is a fuse box inside the hood towards the drivers side. I'm not looking at it now but the fuses are well diagramed on the underside of the fuse box cover. It's a 20 amp fuse.

Jason
  • keepfitkeepfit Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am also having problems with my AC and recirculating buttons flashing, also my rear wiper comes on when it feels like in strange I hope somene out there can help. Chrysler Voyager 1998 :confuse:
  • palapala Member Posts: 2
    1997 Plymouth Voyager. When we moderately corner to the right, the interior lights flash, door locks cycle locked/unlocked repeatedly, and door ajar light flashes on/off. Once it starts, it continues randomly for up to several minutes. Additionally, an older problem has been the wipers. They turn on for no reason, and continue wiping until the wipers are cycled on and then off again. The wiper problem is rare, occurring only about twice a month, but the lights/locks have been continuous for a couple of weeks now. Any help here, as my wife rightfully won't drive at night now, as this presents quite a driver distraction.
  • rockport2rockport2 Member Posts: 1
    Have Canadian 2006 GC with daytime running lights. When I put on 4way flashers the headlights go out. When I turn the flashers off the lights come back on. Also each light will go out if that side turn signal is activated - and will come back on when signal's canceled.
    Any suggestions as to where I look for the problem ???
  • palapala Member Posts: 2
    This is a post I located on a Google group. The part referred to is apparently #4685433, lists about $109, and is a 4-way sensor that incorporates door ajar, locks, windows, and interior lights. Haven't verified that though or found the part available for order anywhere.

Quoted:
    There is an updated door ajar switch for the sliding door, Assuming that the door is adjusted properly , the new switch should take care of your problem
    Glenn Beasley
    Chry Tech

In response to:
    Gene Creelman wrote in message ...
    >I have a 95 caravan SE, with 75,000 kms

>recently the door chime and the door ajar panel light and interior lights started to go off and on as I am driving. Seems whwnever I hit a bump or step on the brake or somtimes spontaneously, this happens. Also the power door lock engages as it thinks the door has beenm open.
    >Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot?

>Thanks
  • baci1baci1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Grand voyager had the exact same problem - took it to the dealer (my independent mechanic couldn't fix because it involves chrysler software progamming). Dealer knew exactly what the prblem was right away - one of the computer modules is bad and has to be replaced. New mocule has to be programmed after installation by a dealer only. Cost is about $700 - in New hampshire anyway. My son has the car at collge, the repair slip is in the glove box - or I'd give you more exact detail. Hope this helps.
  • brucereichertbrucereichert Member Posts: 1
    The following happened within the course of 24 hours. Maybe related. Maybe not. Someone told me my backup lights came on while I was driving (but we check again and all was OK). Next morning brake message came on. I filled the brake reservoir. When I started the van, the turn signals were not working, the ABS warning light came on, the AC/Heater blower would not go on (AC/Heater blew hot/cold air while in motion - unless I put the recycle button on) The AC on light was lit even if the the fan dial was turned to off (not working in any position). Then the power windows worked sporadically (both sides). I checked the fuses, all seemed to be OK. I do not know about other electrical things (relays, etc). Any ideas?
  • sbrcatpucksbrcatpuck Member Posts: 4
    may be a bit late, but I had a problem with an earlier model caravan that had a fuel cutoff relay (under hood near drivers side firewall) that had bad contacts and that caused my hesitation at speed and eventually wouldn't start at all, also look for bad contacts on the high amperage (50 Amps or better) fuses if you have them
  • seatigerseatiger Member Posts: 9
    Just changed the FAN RELAY module that is located next to the radiator, it stopped working and the fans in my vehicle didn't work, I saw the rising temperature gauge and stopped the vehicle to avoid overheating.

Then I left it to cool down, and turned on the heating at MAXIMUM SPEED, MAXIMUM HEAT to drive it to the dealer (short 10 mile drive) and bought the US$ 100 module.

This module is a Solid State Relay (SSR) and retails here for US$ 100, at NAPA it is over $70. It drives 2 fans with a rather high amperage (about 35 amps) so it needs to dissipate a lot of heat, that's why it's installed in the car's frame. However I found out that Chryco did not install any heat transfer material and it can be easily overheated and fail -after all it's a high power semiconductor-.

I installed the replacement module after applying some thermal grease from the computer world. I used Arctic Silver 5 because of the excellent stability and thermal transfer properties.

If I buy a newer DC, or T&C I'm pulling the module out and installing the thermal grease!!! The module is kinda expensive! :mad:
  • amys1amys1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having trouble with an '03 Chrysler Voyager. After going through a car wash, my interior lights were going on and off when ever the brake was applied. The turn signal would not go on if the brake was applied, but when I took my foot off the brake, the signal would turn on, but if I applied the brake the signal would switch from the right signal to left or vice versa. The rear hatch would automatically open slightly when the car was put into park and my foot would come off the brake, however it would be "stuck" and was unable to be opened, even with the key.

As time has passed since the car wash, most of the problems seemed to have resolved themselves with the exception of having trouble with the rear hatch. It will not lock or unlock with the button on the key fob, except very intermittently, and the key will not turn in the door lock.

My mechanic is about to begin to start changing computer modules, but says it is a "guessing game" as to which one could actually be causing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas??
  • lenwfnclenwfnc Member Posts: 1
    I followed your instructions and the flashing wiper problems has been fixed. The only lights that are still flashing are the ac button and the recirculating button. I have a 1996 Dodge Caravan. Does anyone have any instructions on how to turn off those blinking lights.
  • mosandermosander Member Posts: 2
    My wife's caravan, for all it's age runs like a dream, and she is truly fond of it. This means I am charged with keeping it running at all costs. This leads me to my problem and below is the sequence of events.

Vehicle refuses to start. Indicator light come on, fuel relay picks up and...nothing, no crank. Battery is charged, starter motor is fine, and solenoid has power. Engine starts and runs just fine when solenoid is crossed.

On the advice of my local Chrysler dealer, I checked and replaced the column switch package, (T screws, TX screws, several different sizes, OH JOY!!!); the old one was worn, but probably serviceable, no visible broken parts, but I replaced it anyway; no dice.

Rechecked wiring between ignition and starter, all appears to be in order, no apparent fraying, breakage or signs of shorting.

This would appear to me, a relative newby with this type of vehicle, to indicate either a blown fusible link, or a problem relay. Any other culprits anyone can think of?

My question: Where is the fusible link(s) likely to be, and where is the ignition relay located? And once I locate them, now what?

Any advice gratefully received, and Thank You in advance,

Mosander
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    We once owned a 91 Caravan that I remember had a similar problem. It turned out to be the neutral-park safety switch. This switch prevents the vehicle from being started in any gear other than park or neutral. When we tried to start nothing would happen. Replaced the switch and it was O.K. Perhaps you have the same problem. Good luck.
  • mosandermosander Member Posts: 2
    We replaced the neutral-park safety switch in January when it wouldn't start; worked fine until ??? happened. Have put in new starter switch/cleaned relay switch - think middle of 5 is the starter related one (I hope); it worked for about 5 starts and now dead again. Really at a loss as to where to go next -

Hoping this sounds familiar to someone out there - many thanks -
  • misterxangomisterxango Member Posts: 3
    My 1998 dodge grand caravan's a/c, recirculation control switch, intermitten rear wiper switch and rear wiper switch Led lights are flashing after I replaced my battery, it will stop blinking after 20 minutes. I did the diagnostic test and the intermitten rear and rear wiper switch LED lights went away but the a/c and rec control switch lights still flashes. In dodge forum says I have to do the cool down test to make the a/c & rec lights go away, Is it true? Can you tell me how to do the cool down test?
    Ummm, look back to message 3.
  • misterxangomisterxango Member Posts: 3
    I tried message 3 and it did not worked. I like to know how (step by step) to do the cool down test to get rid of the flashing lights ( a/c, recirculatory control switch). thanks!
  • fredo442fredo442 Member Posts: 1
    It's the funniest thing. I have an ABS,and Airbag light on my dash. At the same time the air/heater control stop working along with the turning signals. This all showed up at the same time. Checked fuses but this has left me confused. Any Idea? Van is running find otherwise.
    Thankyou!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Sometimes a weak battery can cause funny electrical problems. Check out your battery. Good luck.
  • dirtmoverdirtmover Member Posts: 14
    I need something that can look a bit beyond the generic OBDII codes, in particular to retrieve codes from the TCM on my caravan. I have an Innova reader but it only does the generic stuff. Any recommendations?
  • garf16garf16 Member Posts: 1
    hello my horn does not work on my 2001 caravan and the shop said it was the fuse panel and I needed to replace it. Is there anything else I could do that won't cost so much?
  • rwilliamsonrwilliamson Member Posts: 3
    I have a '92 Dodge caravan that only works the instruments when the lights are on (parking or headlights). I have tried 3 different instrument clusters (I now have 2 spares) and they all do the same thing. When the lights are off, the 'instrument panel' warning light comes on and the windshield wipers will not work in any of the intermittent positions. I have tried to find the electrical diagram in Chiltons but they only show up to '91 and then from '95 on. As an automotive electrical engineer (GM) I know I could fix this if I had a wiring diagram but one does not seem to be available. HELP !
  • nvdfwnvdfw Member Posts: 3
    I have a Dodge Caravan SXT 2005 with two power outlets. One at front provides power when switch is ON, while auxiliar (behind second row seat on driver's side) is currently direct from battery after moving 20amp fuse in fuse box.

We just bought a heater/cooler which requires at least 5amp to work. It has an internal system that alerts you if battery is low (I guess it means not enough power supplied) and cooler will not work.

1) If car is not running and cooler connected to outlet2, it does not work due low power.
    2) If switch pass back (engine not started but radio working, and cooler connected to outlet1 it works fine.
    3) While engine running and cooler connected to outlet2, it works fine while moving; on IDLE it beeps/alerts specially if A/C running at the same time.

I went today to AutoZone and guy verified battery and alternator, he said everything is OK.

Is it possible outlet2 is not giving enough AMP for cooler to work? how could I check that?

Any ideas or suggestions?
  • pmack1pmack1 Member Posts: 4
    Is this an electrical or mechanical dash?
  • kellie29kellie29 Member Posts: 3
    headlights and flashers continually flashing and won't turn off even when the vehicle is off! 2003 Chrysler Voyager. Anyone else experiencing this? How did you fix it?
  • kenzafankenzafan Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar problem with my 96 Grand Caravan. Replaced the door dome light switch & fixed the problem. It is a small black button on the door post with one screw & 2 plug in wires once the screw is removed & the switch pulled out from the hole where it is mounted........good luck...Ken.