Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Electrical System/Lights

questionmarkquestionmark Member Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in Mazda
Hi, i'm new here. I just want to ask a question
I bought a 2002 Mazda MPV LX. The previous owner drives around 3000 miles per month, so the van has very high milage (146000 miles)
I found out the "check engine" alert is light.
I talked to the mechanic and I was told it was just the sensor's problem, no big deal. Can anyone tell me is it true? How to solve the problem? :blush: :confuse:

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A check engine light could be caused by a faulty or fouled sensor. The fix is to clean or replace the sensor.
  • questionmarkquestionmark Member Posts: 3
    thanks for telling me that, can u please tell me is it expensive to change the sensor for that? Can i do it myself? :confuse:
    If doing mechanical work on a modern V6 engine doesn't bother you, sure, why not. I have no idea how much the part is. Most engines have more than one sensor--first you'd need to figure out which one. Labor cost varies a lot depending on if you use a dealer or other mechanic.

Maybe someone who has replaced one of these sensors on an MPV can reply and give you more details. Personally, I would not mess with it and would take it to the dealer (the fact my 2002 MPV has a bumper-to-bumper warranty with 0 deductible until 2011 is a big factor there).
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Would you mind sharing some info on who you got your extended warranty from and for how much?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    The warranty is from Ultimate Warranty Corp. I got it when I bought my van last April from a used-car dealer (not Mazda). The cost is a little tough to figure, since I was negotiating with them on the total cost including the warranty, and the final cost including warranty was about $1000 less than their initial asking price for both the car and warranty. But officially, according to the contract, the warranty cost $1,114. It's for five years from date of purchase (to April 2011) or 100k miles, whichever comes first (the van had 44,500 miles on it when I bought it). I put 9-10,000 miles a year on it, and plan to keep it for no more than five years, so the terms were just right for me. It is bumper-to-bumper, zero deductible, and includes rental car coverage and (for the first two years) roadside assistance.

I haven't had to use it yet, and I hope I don't have to, but I figure one problem with the powertrain (which seems pretty common in the MPVs) will more than pay for the warranty.
    That's a pretty good price for five years no deductable. I looked at warranty.direct about a year ago...it may have been around $1,600 for 4 years/0 deductable.

We just hit 20k in our 2004 MPV LX(bought in July 2004) I believe our dealer said we had 1,000 miles before manufacturer warranty ran out to extend warranty. Can't really decide to go for the extended warranty or not. I think if the warranty was extended at the price that Toyota Siennas warranties go for, around $800 7yr/70k/0 deduc...it would make the decision a lot easier.

I haven't really read that many complaints about problems with the MPV's powertrain. The ones I have read are usually dealing with the transmission shifting hard and reflash not working. I haven't read many that the transmission had failed or needed to be rebuilt/ replaced. The Ford Duratec 3.0 engine...can't recall any complaints(on reliability).
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    If the tranny on my MPV shifted hard, I would consider that a problem. Maybe if someone pays for the repairs, my Mazda dealer would hop right on it? ;)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    any time your check engine light comes on, it leaves a code in the computer. The best thing to do is take the van to an auto parts store like Advance Auto parts, Pep boys, Auto Zone, etc. They can read the code for you and give you a print out for FREE (a dealer will charge at least $60 for this). Just tell them that your van has the "check Engine Light" come on. It will take about 5 minutes tops. Then post the code on this forum and I am sure someone will be able to help diagnose the problem. This way you wil know if it something you need to take care of right away.

there are too many things that could go wrong to even guess what the issue could or how much it costs. Once you get the code, others can help determine what is wrong.

Good luck.
  • questionmarkquestionmark Member Posts: 3
    thanks for telling me, the shell mechanican charged me 75 dollars for checking it. I just did it then I felt stupid enough to pay it. I just want to say some dirty words to that shell store XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. :mad:
  • angelmeangelme Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light on my 2000 Mazda MPV with 86,000 miles has been on for about two years (so probably since around 60,000 miles) with no noticeable problems. I recently failed a vehicle emissions test due to the cel being on and showing code PO455- meaning a large fuel vapor leak. The emissions tester recommended replacing the gas cap, so I took it to an auto parts store, replaced the cap, and they reset the code. Well the cel disappeared for about 3 days and has now come back on after about 200 miles. Does anyone have any idea where to start fixing this problem? Also, I was told I shouldn't go back for an emissions test after the light had been reset until I had driven for at least 500 miles, is that true or could I have taken it back before the light came back on again, and possibly passed emissions or would the code still have shown up?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    There is a TSB for p0455 (that's zero four five five, not the letter O) that mentions a wiring harness as a possible cause. And yes, if you went back to the test, they would have been able to determine you cleared the code and that can be grounds for failure on the test.

Even with no noticeable problems, your engine and emissions equipment may be getting damaged by ignoring the CEL for 2 years. You should get it checked out by a dealer or reputable shop. Don't ignore the CEL, if anything at least find out the code and search the 'net, but don't ignore it for 2 years!

-Brian
  • hawkeyes2hawkeyes2 Member Posts: 5
    Mazda Millenia 2002 2.5L I went to A zone, he read it was two things, and showed me P 0 455. Spark plug mis fire hole 2, and Emissions leak (Large). I bought a spark plug, and changed it. It was old, and worn out, so I am going to do all 6 now. It is either that or a S Plug Wire.
    The second part...should I just go to Firestone and ask them to replace all the large hoses that are related to air flow? Or, is it narrowed down to a hose or two and I should just do it myself? What do you think? I have to buy a Hanes for it, or Chiltons...don't have an engine diagram to show where the right hoses are.
    If you know that is only one or two hoses, and where they are, can you help me?

Thank you very much.
  • mazda2mazda2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm little confused about how many parts are connected to the engine light? I have a 2002 mazda mpv and already changed and fixed the sensor, coil, converter, cylinder 2, 3, gasket, and other little parts. The light is on and now we a jolt when the gas paddle is press hard. We also fail the inspection, due to code P0037 (emission problem will be cover by Mazda)but the dealership is said it is the P02404 problem ($1,000 to fix). The frustrating parts is the time and money spend in the dealership. Does anyone know if the engine light misfire is a recall. Is the 2002 model a defect? :confuse:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Here's something regarding P02404:

http://imazda.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-8035.html
  • aegsm76aegsm76 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 mpv had smoke coming from the steering column, followed by the headlights only working on high beam. We took it to the dealership, who told us it would be around $500. They then changed their minds and said the harness is melted and it will be around $3000, and they will be happy to sell us a new vehicle, as we would surely not want to put that much money into our old, paid-for van. Had anybody else had this issue?
    We had been advised that our insurance might cover this, and after contacting them were told they would cover the repair as well as a rental. They contacted the car rental place and authorized the rental, but have since said they wouldn't cover either one. Does anybody have any advice?
    Thanks!!
    Don't know. But, I may try for a second opinion... maybe from a shop that specializes in electrical. I would sure want to know why the harness melted before putting in another one though. Don't know why your car insurance said they would cover it... it didn't catch on fire. :confuse:
  • 2k3bandit2k3bandit Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 MPV. 4WD 3.0 V6 W/Lockers. Two questions: 1) Anyone have an idea why after I turn the MPV off the lights come on about 1 minute later? They stay on for about 30 seconds and then turn off again. Then a couple minutes later on they go again. This continues until the battery dies OR!!! I flip the headlight control into highbeam? Any ideas??
    2) I have what appears to be a factory sticker that says "CODE ALARM" on both front door windows. Is that a stock Mazda alarm system? I bought the MPV used and didn't get any key fobs with it so I'm not even sure if it has keyless entry.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    the wiring in the turn signal stalk wears over time on the older Gen1 MPV's.

-Brian
  • cwentzellcwentzell Member Posts: 6
    2000mpv es. Battery Light on. Battery 3years old. Alternator puts out max 13.5 volts. Alternator bad? Cost to replace? Where is it? 43000 Miles original.
  • engtechengtech Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 mpv. Had it in the shop this week to have a tranny range switch replaced do to a bucking problem. That didn't fix the problem with the van. After 3 days I finaly got an anwser from the dealer that it is a noise conditioner in the ignition system. I would like to know If any one has heard of this before. I have worked on cars for 10 years and have never had this problem on a car, van, or truck. Thanks for the input. :mad:
  • shwoogyshwoogy Member Posts: 3
    Did you find out about the headlights. I have a Mazda 1994 MPV and the lights come on by themselves, unless high beams are on and now the alarm is now activated by itself, so I have to reset it by the battery every time I get in the car!
    Please reply to Jay [email protected]
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please reply to

Please keep the conversation here so everyone can benefit. Thanks!

Steve, visiting host
  • tcc21tcc21 Member Posts: 69
    Hello All!
    I have not posted in a bit about MY problems - latest is the CHECK ENGINE light coming on again! Two times in the past 2 weeks - once for a misfire on #4 plug. Took to my trusty local service person who said it may get moisture in the coil assembly due to a bad rubber seal? We decided against doing anything, resetting the light and it seems fine now. It did stumble for one day but finally dried out I guess. Ugh! This has happened off and on since I got this unit new in 2003. It usually happens in a heavy rain where all of a sudden the engine will start stumbling until it dries out again. Great Mazda design I guess??
    Second Check Eng. Light came on again - this time due to a "Random Misfire". Could not pinpoint which location it was though. This rig is a bundle of puzzles and mysteries for sure. When it runs it is sweet yet - after 122K miles!! When it starts acting weird, I get nervous and think I'm on borrowed time!
    Anyone else out there have this stuff happen to you? Anyone still have their MPV after this many miles??? I think I'm getting to be in no man's land now!! Many of the people who use to post here are long gone now due to selling off these puppies!
    Thanks, TCC
    You probably need to go ahead and replace #4 coil. You don't want to be out in a heavy downpour, or on a trip, and have it start acting up. It's easy to replace 4,5 and 6 coils.

Many of the people who use to post here are long gone now due to selling off these puppies!

A lot joined the MPV Club and still own their MPV's.
  • jag09jag09 Member Posts: 1
    i have mpv 2004. after gas near empty light was on and i fill up its tank but after driving about 3-4 kms the engine check light came on, i checked the fuel cap and retightened it . but it still stays on, checked the engine oil found on min. level . Any one know what can go wrong, has there any shop in canada which do free scan, thanks
  • itsmylastmpvitsmylastmpv Member Posts: 1
    SAME PROBLEM!!! The dealer acts as if I am crazy. I ended up changing out the #4 plug/coil. I've had several quirky issues with this MPV, which will be my last. There is an electrical problem with my MPV and now I suspect that it is common among the 2003-2004 model years. Now, my A/C is draining the life out of my second battery in 5 years. I feel as if I am treating symptoms because Mazda and its service providers cannot figure out the actual cause.

I'm selling as soon as this latest issue is resolved.
  • minichrtminichrt Member Posts: 1
    We have the exact same issue with our 2001 MPV how was your issue resolved? The dealer wanted 3000 to fix ours as well. This certainly should have been a recall as a major safety issue.
  • buzzkbuzzk Member Posts: 15
    We had the [sometimes dramatic!] 'bucking" problem, also called "rough shiftting," when our 2004 MPV was about -or less than- a year old; we were told somewhere, I can't remember exactly, [but NOT by Mazda!], that it was a software problem & the dealers had a "software fix" that would work; We took it to the local dealer, who knew about it, and told us they installed that "software fix" & it generally has worked well since then. A little later, we also had them put in a new, supposedly very sophisticaed synthetic trannie fluid from BG. can't say that it's done anything we notice, but the tranny works well so far & their claims *sound* impressive. In the past I've used one of their products for manual trannies I thought was very impressive. the autotranny fluid is, however, fairly expensive.. anyway, the software fix really should work, try it & let us know, OK?.

cheers, BK
  • mitch65mitch65 Member Posts: 26
    After my mechanic fixed a couple of things related to a check engine light, some sensor problem I believe, all the warning lights on the dash stay on continuously now. He said it was probably that the computer needed to be reset and said it would probably be $100 to have Mazda do it. Does this sound right? Anyway I can do something about it myself? Is it fuse related?
    It's a 2002 MPV LX, original owner, about 70k miles.
    Thanks!
  • mailsommailsom Member Posts: 1
    Hi New to this too.
    Got a Mazda MPV 2003, 2ltr Deisel. Have had since 04. Problems.
    Electrics, driver window stuck down, had motor ,regulator and control unit replaced window now fine £700 later. However cental locking system had been playing up before this , key fob no longer works despite battery change, F passenger door lock dodgy, alarm goes off 90% of time on unlocking front doors, is only fine from rear. Mechanic had reckoned control unit replacement would possibly help but it didn't. Any ideas?
    Also excessive engine oil usage ,1 ltr per week approx. alot of smoke discharge from exhaust white and black on starting& acceleration. This despite oil & filter changes and additives to oil and fuel. No leak. ?
  • vclsmithvclsmith Member Posts: 2
    My Mazda is idleing very high when started. RPM is up to 1.5 and will not idle down at all. Did anyone have this proble before?
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    I see some of the above commentary and wonder if these problems with this model is what is causing the same thing in a friend's MPV. She is a great lady from our church who has had to replace at least 3 coil packs recently. She just spent over $700 in the last month alone on what I believe to be electrical issues. She was on her way to her mother's home in North Carolina for Thanksgiving when the van just started going haywire. The engine light came on and a 3 hour trip took nearly 5 hours because she said she lost power and when she gave it gas it felt like it was going to shut down on her. She finally got there and took it to a garage where they did 3 or 4 hundred bucks work of whatever(I didn't see her bills from either garage, the one before and this one, so I don't really know ALL they did) Well, I think she said it was another coil pack, #5 this time. Now that was a little over a week ago, and she called me this morning and told me that the trouble has returned exactly the same way as she was taking her young son to an appointment. I have an OBD2 scanner and offered to scan the computer for her and go from there. This thing sound nightmarish to me! Why does this van seem to have a lot of trouble with coil packs? Seems to me there has to be an underlying electrical issue at play here. I asked her to call a friend of mine in the service dept. of our local Mazda dealership and see if there were any service bulletins issues about this problem. If anyone can steer me in the right direction here, I'd deeply appreciate it, and I hope you all have a joyous Holiday Season!!
    The 2004 MPV doesn't have coil packs. They have individual coils for each spark plug. The #5 is in the front and should have been very easy to replace... 5 minutes. The 1-3 coils are on the back of engine and require an hour and a half of labor. The coils are problematic, and as such I wouldhave your friend ask Mazda replacement under "goodwill". A poor design allows water to foul the coil. I had a coil go bad after running through a large water puddle during a downpour. Even though I was 4 k miles out of warranty, Mazda replaced under goodwill. You might also want to check the PCV hose, as there has been widespread problems with it as well... similar symptoms. I read a step by step "how to do a full coil replacement" on the MPVclub web site, if you're fairly handy it is something you could do and save your friend some big money.
    Thanks, jipster, for your comment.I will add that to my list of things to look for if I ever get to our friends house to look at her MPV. It's cold here in Pa now, and my back has been bothering me to the point where it's been difficult to solve MY OWN vehicle issues. I also learned from another blogger that his Idle Air Solenoid got carboned up and after he cleaned it and the throttle body as well, his MPV ran a lot better. Thanks for the heads-up about the PCV, I'll check that too. She is fortunate she has another vehicle to drive, but she wants to take her van down to NC for Christmas. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon. P.S. Can you give me info for that Mazda MPV website on how to do those coil repairs? Thanks!
    There are many "do it yourself" posts at MPVclub.com. How to replace the coils has a pretty cool step by step instructional complete with photos... it is under the "Problems" forum. There is also more info on how to replace a PCV hose.
    Hi, Jipster. I did have an opportunity to use my OBD2 on our friend's 04' MPV. I got a code PO303, which translated into a #3 cylinder misfire that no doubt means that her #3 coil has shorted out, causing her problem. She clarified for me that the last one she had replaced(only about 3 weeks ago now) was the #5 coil. So now in the last 2 months, she's replace her #1, #5, and now needs the #3 if she wants to get this thing running which, by the way, it a nice looking vehicle. I didn't look at the odometer to see how many miles is on it. She told me she had that PCV hose replaced a while ago, and I told her about another readers de-carbonizing proceedure involving the IAC on top of the throttle body and how using Gumout he was able to get his to work better. She is going to put her van in a shop this week as she wants to take it to NC over Christmas. So hopefully this issue will get corrected, but I told her husband that I'd think twice before buying one of these vehicles, given what I've read here on these blogs about it. Sounds to me that some engineer at Mazda was asleep at the design table when this model was conceived!
  • shahidcshahidc Member Posts: 7
    MAZDA 2002, 80K,Japanees esembled; engine light problem one year ago made me to, change all coils, all spark plugs.Now Light comes back for misfire #4 cylinder, also sometimes code says O2 sensor close by catalytic converter bad. I have used fuel injector cleaner few times but light comes back off and on. My question is how to locate cylinder #'s and what should I try now?
    edited March 2010
    Cylinders are: (back of engine towards driver)

#1 #2 #3
    Then the next 3, which are easy to get to, are in the front towards the radiator.
    #4 #5 #6

May check the coil and plug in cylinder 4 since it's easy to get to ( a couple of bolts), though I can of doubt it would go bad so early. Throttle body may need direct contact cleaning.
    Thank you jipster,

I replaced the new #4coil which I put and swaped with the old one for checking that I had last year. I drove the van and light came back again. I also checked the #4plug which by looking at it just burning fuel right like the other cylinders(no carbon on it, same gap, no debbrie). I use one fuel injector cleaner once a month(Lucas) since this problem. I changed my air filter last year and cleaned throtle body last year. After all this supported information what would be your suggestion?
    I am just a owner of 2002 mpv and having similar problems off and on and look like is a pain to me because I very sensitive about cars. Anyhow to give you some ides that the O2 cost about $200 a piece at Auto Advance and there are three sensors. It will cost you abut $150 (not dealer price) labor cost.
    what would be your suggestion?

I get a lot of my informtion from the mpvclub.com.
    I have got the code for the check engine light. It is P0103 = MAF OR VAF High Input , P0031 = HO2S Bank 1 Circuit 1 and OBD 11.
    These are the codes. I have just now changed my #4 cylinder new plug and new coil. I have also used a whole bottle of Mass air Flow cleaner, through air filter, in running engine condition, but the dilemma is still there. Earlier it was flashing but now it is still.
    Please need expert advise.
    Dear fellows,

I have a quick question. I have MAZDA MPV 2002 with 83K on it and I need service plan on it. I never had warranty on it and the van is in excelent shape for last five years and I want to keep it but I need protection for unforseen expenses. Do you know any company or dealer who offers service or maintenace plan for it.

I will be looking for your response.

Thanks,
    I have MAZDA MPV 2002 LX and engine light is keep coming back on for misfire on Cylinder #4. Recently I have changed all plugs and all new ignition coils. I had also used Lucas brand concentrated Fuel Injector cleaner few times. Any more idea anybody has.
    Thank you much.
    I have a code P0304 keep coming back, on MPV 2002 85K.
    I replaced the new #4coil which I put and swaped with the old one for checking purpose that I had last year. I drove the van and light came back again. I also checked the #4plug which by looking at it just burning fuel right like the other cylinders(no carbon on it, same gap, no debris), I put new one anyway. I use one fuel injector cleaner once a month(Lucas) since this problem. I changed my air filter last year and cleaned throtle body last month. I have just changed O2 Bank 1 Circuit 1. I have thoroughly cleaned the coil conductor and rubber for #4 for moister, in case if there is any. After all this supported information what would beyour suggestion?
  • kirksloapykirksloapy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Mazda MPV V6 and it has just died. It's been having some issues with the duel fans on the radiator running for 10 minutes or so after turning the car off. The A/C would also quit blowing cold when it was running at idle (ie. stop lights or slow traffic). Now it has no power to anything, I mean NOTHING and there is a relay that is clicking under the hood. I have pulled the relay and got a replacement from the dealer and it is doing the exact same thing. Is there anyone that has had this issue with their MPV and what did it take to fix it. I have four kids and no transportation for them.
  • freewaysfreeways Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Can anyone help point me in the right direction? My 2003 MPV shut off while driving the highway. It wouldn't start, and when you turn the ignition key on the horn and flashers come on, (I did not even install an anti theft alarm). I found that the engine fuse blows as soon as you turn the ignition on as well. It will not make a connection to a code reader (probably because of the blown fuse). Also I have been reading about the immobilizer, can anyone tell me where to find that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  • bklockhartbklockhart Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Just had this start happening recently on '94 MPV, 3.0L with about 211,000 miles. Figure it's an electrical system problem probably with faulty older wiring somewhere in the system. I'm not a mechanic and just hoping for some advice before I go talk to one. Also have the engine light coming on. Manual states it's one of two things. 1) Scheduled maintenance for emission control system every 80,000 miles or 2) Engine electrical system malfunction. I'm betting heavily on the latter and guessing it might be related to the lights coming on for no reason. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian
  • swagner34swagner34 Member Posts: 3
    It is the fan control module. Cheap part. Replaced on my 05 and haven't had any issues since...

http://mazdaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7959
  • sramamur1sramamur1 Member Posts: 21
    Hello Everyone;

This is a great forum and I have been able to get very valuable tips on our Mazda 2003 MPV in the past. Now we have a weird problem:

Whenever the parking break is engaged, the "parking break" sign lights up on the dashboard. In addition, the "door open" sign also lights up on the dashboard and all the interior lights are on (even with all the doors closed!!). When the parking break is disengaged, the "parking break" and the "door open" signs go off in the dashboard and the interior light turn off as well.

Looks like there is a short somewhere in the system. Can someone please help me about the possible causes?

Thanks,

Sri.