Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in General

Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.

Who are the Edmunds moderators? Meet them here!

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    edited December 2013

My thoughts are there will be those that hate the new format (at least until they get used to it), So far I am ok stumbling around B) Oh, and the read only announcement is still out there for forums

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@ray80 said:
    My thoughts are there will be those that hate the new format (at least until they get used to it), So far I am ok stumbling around B)

Thanks, Ray!

We realize it will take some adjustment, but I'm really beginning to love it myself. Don't hesitate to ask if you need assistance!

edited December 2013

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    We realize it will take some adjustment, but I'm really beginning to love it myself. Don't hesitate to ask if you need assistance!

I edited in a little other comment in previous post (and I see I get tagged for being a name dropper :o )

@ray80 said:
    I edited in a little other comment in previous post

Yes, I know. That flip hasn't been switched. Baby steps. B)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited December 2013

I for one am pleasantly surprised; this is a smooth transition compared to the previous upgrades. And best of all, you didn't destroy a fairly active community- unlike Inside Line, which decimated the level of participation on their blogs...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    I for one am pleasantly surprised; this is a smooth transition compared to the previous upgrades. And best of all, you didn't destroy a fairly active community- unlike Inside Line, which decimated the level of participation on their blogs...

Glad you're pleased! We've been working very hard to ensure a smooth transition. If you have any questions about navigating, just ask!

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759

Karen, I like the appearance upgrades, as well as the relative ease-of-use in terms of message posting. The thing I cannot find, and am fearful is lost, is the forum/thread tracking of the previous forum. Is that something that is here, and I'm just not seeing it?

I like to monitor a wide range of threads, but may end up fading away if I am relegated to doing that manually.

Thanks for all your (and others') effort!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013

We're still learning how best to track stuff. Try clicking the "stars" to add discussions to My Bookmarks and then click on that link on the top right for updates. But remember to check Recent Discussions too.

Others will come up with other tricks that may suit them better.

And - do you really need those sunglasses you're wearing up in Fairbanks Xwes? Time to change your avatar. ;)

[edit - ah, that's better, you don't look sunburned now, lol]

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

@xwesx said:
    Karen, I like the appearance upgrades, as well as the relative ease-of-use in terms of message posting. The thing I cannot find, and am fearful is lost, is the forum/thread tracking of the previous forum. Is that something that is here, and I'm just not seeing it?

You're not seeing it :) If you're looking at a list of discussions, there's a star icon to the right of each title. Clicking on that star will add it to your forums bookmarks, which functions like the old "My Watched Items." When you are in a discussion reading it, there's a star at the top of the page next to the discussion title - same deal.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited December 2013

Sweetness! I'm seeing stars now! Thanks, Kirstie! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    edited December 2013

It appears that as of right now, only 1 of my "Watched Items" \
    Discussions has been carried over.
    One I set up several years ago.
    Is this conversion in process?
    Or will we need to 'rebuild' our list?
    I also do not see a way to 'watch' a Discussion on the
    last page of a Discussion - what am I missing here?
    Thanks,

• Ray
    • Confused...
    2022 X3 M40i

@rayainsw said:
    It appears that as of right now, only 1 of my "Watched Items" \
    Discussions has been carried over.
    One I set up several years ago.
    Is this conversion in process?
    Or will we need to 'rebuild' our list?
    I also do not see a way to 'watch' a Discussion on the
    last page of a Discussion - what am I missing here?
    Thanks,

• Ray
    • Confused...

"My Discussions" is the list of topics you personally created. Unfortunately, watched items from the old forums could not be migrated here. You will need to bookmark those (click on the start at the top). Once bookmarked, you can easily find it in "My Bookmarks".

Hope that helps!

Ray, I think that we have to rebuild it. An unfortunate side effect?

Kirstie... one more question! Is there any way to add a whole forum category, such as "Subaru," to our bookmark list? I see that it sorts the discussions by those most recently posted, but that is not to say someone will not revive an old topic in order to get a question answered, or post a new discussion altogether within the "Subaru" group.

I'd like to see that activity as well.

@xwesx said:

Kirstie... one more question! Is there any way to add a whole forum category, such as "Subaru," to our bookmark list?

I don't think there is, but I believe that way back during testing, we did mention it. I'll add it to our list of stuff we'd like to have. Good point.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited December 2013

Kirstie... one more question! Is there any way to add a whole forum category, such as "Subaru," to our bookmark list?

You can click on the Subaru tag (under Popular Tags) and that will list every Subaru tagged discussion by most recent comment. If you don't see Popular Tags on the right click the Categories link and they should appear.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191

Wow – that is a really big issue for me, personally,
    as I used this feature to keep track of when a forum discussion I cared about had a new post – or more than one new post. Otherwise, I did not need to open \ check any forums that were not active since the last time I had checked.
    It was quite convenient.
    I typically kept that ‘Watched Items’ list page open in a Tab in my browser all day, with ‘auto-update’ turned on – and checked periodically to see if anything was new.
    Is there [ I hope ] some similar functionality in the new Forums software platform?
    I cannot imagine separately checking a couple of dozen bookmarked pages to see if there are new posts . . .?
    Thanks,

• Ray
      Even more confused . . .
    2022 X3 M40i

@rayainsw said:
    I cannot imagine separately checking a couple of dozen bookmarked pages to see if there are new posts . . .?
    Thanks,

• Ray
      Even more confused . . .

OK, wait - you don't have to do that. Once you bookmark a discussion, you can just click the "Bookmarks" link in the list of menu options on the right-hand side of the page, right under your user ID. You can scan the list of your bookmarked items to see if any have new posts. They'll move up to the top of the list, and those discussions in which you've already read all new posts will appear slightly grayed out.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498

. . . and the beat goes on.

I made continuous use of the thread details that used to be embedded in each post (who responded, who responded to them, etc.), and that appears to have gone away, along with several other things.

Or perhaps I'm dim. Yeah, that's it.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

Oh, and is there an "edit" function?

And, more importantly, how were the default images (pictures, whatever) chosen. I like orange, so I'm OK.

@cdnpinhead said:

And, more importantly, how were the default images (pictures, whatever) chosen. I like orange, so I'm OK.

Above and to right of your comment, there is a small wheel. Click on that to edit/delete your post.

Are your referring to the image next to your screen name? Click on your name to go to your profile. At the top right, there is a figure icon. Click on that and select Edit Profile. You can upload a photo from your computer there.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@cdnpinhead said:

Theres a gear icon in the upper RH corner of your post- you can edit it up to four hours later. You can pick a different avatar if you like as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    Theres a gear icon in the upper RH corner of your post- you can edit it up to four hours later. You can pick a different avatar if you like as well.

Thanks for sharing tips with other members, RB. I think sharing features and how to access them with each other is going to be our best learning tool. If you hover over any member's post, you'll see that you can give them an "awesome", etc. if you like. If you go to your own profile page, you can see how many "awesomes" you have.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited December 2013

I've been playing around with things this morning and have to say I think this has been pretty well done. The functionality is there on the front end, and I can only imagine how improved things are on the back end. Not sure how the new software determined my join date was in 2010, but you can't win them all I guess.

Anyhow, good job!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited December 2013

I like that the annoying "login using Facebook" pop-up is finally gone. (I even opened a problem-ticket on that)

HOWEVER: Being a software-developer myself - I am not happy that my years of "Watched Items" is not carried over. It would seem to me that you folks would have put more effort into supporting your long-time Edmunds contributors. Instead, I feel as if Edmunds has tossed me under the bus. Due to this, I am contemplating just not being an Edmunds member any longer.

Please tell me that this oversight will be corrected and my "Watched Items" will be restored. (As bookmarks)

@bpeebles said:

Please tell me that this oversight will be corrected and my "Watched Items" will be restored. (As bookmarks)

It wasn't an oversight - it was simply an impossibility. The structure/language/etc - EVERYTHING is different. Just getting existing discussions over was a monumental challenge. Our team did everything they could to transfer whatever could possibly be transferred. As we mentioned before the switch, staying on the old platform was out of the question. We picked the best software we could find, with the most accommodating team on their end, and put some of our best IT folks on this project. I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you wished it would have.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Kristie - thanks for the quick and honest response. Again, I am a software developer and can understand that some migrations to a different platform can be a challenge. I will commend your team for being able to keep my previous posts going back to at least 2007 (although I know I was a member in 2002)

@bpeebles said:

HOWEVER: Being a software-developer myself - I am not happy that my years of "Watched Items" is not carried over. It would seem to me that you folks would have put more effort into supporting your long-time Edmunds contributors. Instead, I feel as if Edmunds has tossed me under the bus. Due to this, I am contemplating just not being an Edmunds member any longer.

I'm sorry that you feel this way and we certainly would not want you to leave. However, going in we knew some folks would not approve and that's natural for a major change of this nature. I hope you will at least give it a chance and we are here to assist in any way we can.

edited December 2013

Thanks Karen, Thanks for the response. I will give the new Edmunds forums several weeks to see how things work out. I have already started to add to my 'bookmarks' list.

@bpeebles said: I will commend your team for being able to keep my previous posts going back to at least 2007 (although I know I was a member in 2002)

Hm, just found one of mine dated 2002 in a fast skim.

Hadn't noticed the missing Facebook popup until you mentioned it. That's a nice omission!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

How do I find stories from the sales front lines?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

You can use the Forums link at the top of the page, where you'll find a search box to find any of your "lost" favorites. Here's a link: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/4831/general/x/stories-from-the-sales-frontlines#latest

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

edited December 2013

@Mark@Edmunds said:
    If you'd like to bookmark an entire Category, go to Edit Profile > Notification Preferences. You'll find a full list of Categories there and can select those you wish to bookmark.

Mark, I appreciate the reply on this! Unfortunately, I don't see that there are any Categories under that section at all.... Attached is a screenshot of that particular section. If you can provide any further clarification for the technically challenged (yes, I'm in that group!), I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

edited December 2013

@xwesx said:

After Mark posted, we discovered that he can see that list, but the rest of us aren't seeing it. So this one's not a fault in your technical expertise. We've sent that question in to find out why.

PS - being able to attach a file is a NICE feature, IMO.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2013

@cdnpinhead said:

The avatars were (I think) simply randomly generated (mine was brown) but it's really easy to change. Just click on your username and you'll be at your profile page. Hover over your avatar and you'll see the words Change Picture at the top of your avatar image. Click and select an image from your computer. I like orange too... perhaps an orange car??? :)

Oh yea, edit (just used it) Click on that little "gear" to the right of your username above the post, you'll see Edit. You have a 4 hour window to edit.

And below a post you can click Quote, and it will copy in the post you're responding to (just like I did with yours)

edited December 2013

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    PS - being able to attach a file is a NICE feature, IMO.

• I know we're past Thanksgiving, but I'm thankful for all the helpful eyes and fingers poking around and pointing out things that might need tweaking or are really neat new toys we have!
      I know I work here, but this is by far my favorite forum and set of members to be around.

edited December 2013

Hhmm Can't click quote from shoes and have to work (to large a reply maybe), but I'll add on browsers I've been using (Firefox and older IE) the 'gear' doesn't show up unless cursor is withing your reply area

Yeah, the Gear and the Promote/Insightful/Awesome buttons don't show up unless you hover within the post area.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Yeah, the Gear and the Promote/Insightful/Awesome buttons don't show up unless you hover within the post area.

That's probably to cut down on visual clutter. No real need to see those all the time.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

@ray80 said:
    Hhmm Can't click quote from shoes and have to work (to large a reply maybe), but I'll add on browsers I've been using (Firefox and older IE) the 'gear' doesn't show up unless cursor is withing your replay area

The gear is showing up if I'm anywhere over the post (at least in Firefox) I'll have to try some other browsers in a bit. But keep noticing things!!

I'm liking the Actvity link for showing me who has responded recently in discussion I'm in. Still building up my Bookmarks, but it's nice to see the familiar faces we're all used to!

edited December 2013

How does one reply to a particular post, as in a post 2 hrs ago (or whatever) that has a dozen UN-related posts after and you want to replay to earlier one (that may be clear as mud but hopefully someone can understand) ? Without quoting that is.

@ray80 You can type the person's screen name and put @ at the beginning of it. Like I did with you here.

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    ray80 You can type the person's screen name and put @ at the beginning of it. Like I did

with you here.

And if that person had made other posts after the original one you would have to some how sort it out with the answer (OR QUOTE) ?

edited December 2013

What do I do to stop getting dozens of e-mails telling me of all the wonderful things that are going on here?

@ray80 said:
    And if that person had made other posts after the original one you would have to some how sort it out with the answer (OR QUOTE) ?

Uhhmm, I think so.

edited December 2013

@cdnpinhead said:
    What do I do to stop getting dozens of e-mails telling me of all the wonderful things that are going on here?

On the right side of page in your tools, click on the gear/wheelie beneath your screen name. Select Edit Profile. Select Notification Preferences. You can choose notification by Email, Popup, or none at all. And then click on Save Preferences.

I have been trying to change my avatar... The only option I seem to have is to upload an image from my harddrive. Is there some way to select from the 'built in' avatars that Edmunds appears to have available?

@cdnpinhead said:

Go to your profile and edit your notifications ( At least that is what Kirstie suggested elswhere)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

First off, I want to thank Edmunds. I'm sure this whole newness did not come cheap, but for us posters it is still free. I dig the cleaner, more modern look. I love that I can post a picture right to the site & have a profile pic too. The badges are very cool too. I'm proud of my 5,000 post, 10 year, & archeological badges.

I figured out how to follow a thread from another poster & how to view your "starred threads." What I'm not seeing is the old "read new posts" button.

Great job overall though!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD