Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
Since we've got a number of discussions in which consumers can share their shopping stories, this topic is specifically for salespeople to share their stories, good and bad.

Consumers are welcome to read and ask questions, but no "bashing," please! If you disagree with the salesperson's perspective, that's the breaks :)

Entertain us, sales crowd!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,777
    I don't care if somone disagrees with me! That creates interesting dialogue in these forums. Sometimes we can even convince each other of something.

Bashing is a different story.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    I disagree. ;)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Hey, we'll have plenty of other topics for that.

Let's bring on the stories!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dwilliamdwilliam Posts: 128
    yer killin me snake!!! LOL

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/vehicle_titles_and_registration/title_your_v- ehicle.htm

all you should have to do is pull up the PDF file for title application

The Anonymous (and RIGHT) Dealer
  • How about this one? Man kills himself over an unsatisfactory deal?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13831219.htm
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,788
    Something tells me that his problems really had nothing to do with a bad car deal.. :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,304
    While I'm not a salesperson, I do have 2-3 people from different dealerships that contact me when they have a car that I might be interested in.....both used and new.

They actually call me every several months to tell me of a particular vehicle.

I buy cars, not only for myself, but my son, sisters, my sisters' kids and my mother. The sales people figure that at least one of them may be in the market for a car at any given time. I'd say 50% of the time, they're right.

Matter of fact, I just helped my 17 year old niece buy a nice '99 Mazda with 74K miles. That resulted from one of those phone calls. Sales person was from a Ford dealer. They got the car in on a trade from an older couple who bought a new Ford 500. I had mentioned to him a couple of months ago that my niece was in the market.

These sales people don't bother me with some of the "less than desireable" cars that come in. Just when they get a really nice car, do I get a call.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    That story was in the papers here in Denver as well.

Somehow, the guy managed to hang himself in the lavatory.

I believe that he had just been charged with arson in the fire at the dealership, so that might also have contributed to his decision.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    When you start bringing a dealership 3-4 sales per year, the SMART salesmen will start notifying you when something "interesting" hits their lot.

My brother calls his friends at dealerships around Cincinnati when he is looking for a specific model. Generally, within a few days or a couple of weeks, he'll get a few callbacks. It means sales for the dealerships and a reduction of time that he needs to seek out vehicles.

It is all about relationships ...
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    And, the paper is saying one of the cars burned up was a Ford GT. $150,000++++
  • I had a perfect example of this last friday night. Had a guy come in with his wife off the street. Said he had driven by a few times and saw the vehicle we had parked out front. Liked the look of it and saw that we had just dropped the price by a 1000 dollars and wanted to know if that was our rock bottom best, best price.

Now he has not even introduced himself or given me the chance to really introduce myself and I have not even been able to get out of my office yet before this takes place. I introduce myself ask him if he has ever been inside a Land Rover before or driven one and he goes well know I have never even touched one I just liked the look of it. Oh well you have to look inside it and drive it first make sure it is the right car for you.

I pull it up let him and his wife play with all the buttons show them that it has three user selectable suspension settings and several other automatic settings. He goes, "Wow I didn't even know it could lower it self that is great no need for running boards." I say, "Exactly right sir and it lets you get into parking garages that other tall vehicles could not get into."

He has a trade with a ton of miles that he is convinced he will be upside down in. By now it is right at closing time so I ask him to come back tomorrow when it is light out and we can apraise his trade easier. He agrees and comes back right in the morning on Satuday. Our preowned manager takes his car for a trade puts a number on it and to the customers suprise he is actually over 4,000 dollars up.

Now the guy is just ecstatic and we sit down to work out the price of the new car. I don't even need to negotiate he is so happy with all of the extra features that the Land Rover has and that he was actually right side up on his trade that he just agrees to our 1000 dollar off knock down price.

He went from being a I want your best, best rock bottom price customer, who would have ended up being a grumpy customer probably, to a very happy 100 CSI all the way and I have no problem paying the asked for price customer. That is building product value.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    How much more would you have gone down to get to "rock bottom price" had he persisted?
    They left happy! It doesn't always have to be about money.

Both sides were content with the deal.
  • golicgolic Posts: 714
    Obviously "that" was the rock bottom price since they both agreed.

I am always fascinated by the people who post and ask, Hey, I just bought this car - here is what I paid, did I get screwed???

Who cares...it's tooo late. Enjoy the car, part of me wants to rain on thier parade and say - Just two days ago someone in your area spent 5k less *snicker*

And another part of me, just wants them to feel good by posting "Wow, what a deal"

I didn't mean to rain on you, Jipster....i am just cranky and wanted to rant.

*rant over*
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    part of me wants to rain on thier parade and say - Just two days ago someone in your area spent 5k less

There will always be SOMEONE who will say this, whether they are full of it or not. So it doesn't pay to ask. Just enjoy the car and move on.
    "What does that matter?"

It doesn't matter to me. I'm just curious. Agree,if both sides are happy and content...more power to them.
    Then it must matter.
  • He could have probably gotten another 1000 bucks off with a little more work and if he had really wanted to grind another 500 dollars more but that would have been the limit.

We try not to give away cars for invoice but it does happen from time to time.
    "I didn't mean to rain on you, Jipster..."

No problem. You're ranting was fairly brief as far as ranting goes. ;)

Though tempted at times, I usually try to make people happy by telling them they got a "good deal" reguardless of the circumstances.
    Thank you for that straight/honest answer british_rover.
  • I am always fascinated by the people who post and ask, Hey, I just bought this car - here is what I paid, did I get screwed???

Who cares...it's tooo late.

I do.

In general, everything in life is a learning experience. Therefore, it is perfectly valid to do a post-mortem analysis to learn from your mistakes so as not to repeat it in the future.
  • I am not sure if it has anything to do with product value. The fact that he got $4000 from his trade sealed the deal. On the other hand, if he was $4000 upside down, I doubt any of the features in the new car would have moved him.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,304
    When you start bringing a dealership 3-4 sales per year, the SMART salesmen will start notifying you when something "interesting" hits their lot.

j.....So true, it's all about networking and relationships....on both the customer's side and the salesperson's side.

It seems like I'm always helping someone buy something every 3-4 months. Really, a quick glance at these boards and it wouldn't be so hard for those people to do the same themselves. I think the stereotype of getting "hosed" at a car dealership is unfortunately alive and well.

There's probably 3-4 sales people, at different dealerships, that I'm in contact with every couple of months. Sometimes they bring something to the table that's interesting. Other times, I don't have anyone I know who's in the market, and no matter what the vehicle, I'm not interested.

I do have long standing relationships with someone at a Toyota, Chevy and Ford dealerships. Of course, those folks have made their profession a career, as opposed to just a brief stopping point.

One salesmanager, at an Acura dealership (Superior), I actually play golf with. I bought my son's car there. Interestingly, they don't carry used cars that are less than 3 years old....nothing 1-2 years old (which I find a bit odd). But, their inventory is always filled with nice used cars.

On the other hand, I've tried to buy an Infiniti on several occasions. We've got only one dealership in the area. I always give them a shot at my business, but could never get to a "meeting of the minds", so I've never bought from them. Nice people, though. They still call every 6 months, or so.

Bottom line, if you've got a relationship with someone in the biz, there's a mutual trust built up that I won't waste their time, if they don't waste mine. In short order, if they've got something I (or a family member) want, I'm confident I get a good deal and their confident I'm not going to "jack them around".

Of course, that's always predicated on doing a little bit of REALISTIC research hear before you walk in the door.
    Therefore, it is perfectly valid to do a post-mortem analysis to learn from your mistakes so as not to repeat it in the future.

Sure, but if some yahoo on an internet board tells you you paid way too much, why would you take their word for it? Even if more than one does, how can you be sure that they are right? Your circumstances and geography might not match up with theirs. Plus, they may just not know what they are talking about. Or they are ignoring the fact that although they paid $2000 less on the car they got a higher interest rate, lower value for their trade, and bought the extended warranty for $1500.

If you went and believed that person, you would have a much harder time of it next time you bought a car because your assumptions would be incorrect. Grain of salt.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    That's an excellent point. Does the person doing the post mortem actually know what they're talking about? Does that person have all the facts and pertinent info? A detective has the coroner's report, he has a police report, eyewitness accounts, the ability to interview those involved, whatever is at his disposal to determine cause of the crime.

A coworker just bought a used truck from a local megastore. They were happy their payments were a lot lower than their previous truck, plus the new truck is bigger and better equipped. On the surface everyone is happy. I saw the contract and it's scary: Paid top dollar for a 4 yr old truck with 60K on it, 72 month loan, 10.99% interest rate, $1200 extended warranty. My analysis says they got hosed. But then, I wasn't there in the sales office wheelin and dealin, so who knows what took place?

Philosophically I agree a post mortem analysis should be done but it's almost impossible to do one accurately without all the info. And besides, who wants to hear they got porked?
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    We have contacts at a Ford and a Cadillac dealership. In general, they know roughly how and what we like to buy. In general, we are usually within $500 and pretty much split the difference.

Do we grind? Oh, occasionally. Especially if the salesman (usually a newbie), acts like we are straight off the farm and starts trying to sell us a used car at 15% above retail. Or if it is obvious that they don't know their beans.

I like dealerships that sell quality used cars and take pride in it. While you still have to do the mechanical inspection, it makes the process a lot easier.
  • They took a 72 month loan on a 4 year old trucks? If that is the case they got hosed no matter what they paid. I hope they never plan to trade out of it ever cause they are probably 50% buried in the car right now and getting worse.
    Exactly.

A lot of the so called "Prices Paid" posts are dead wrong. I (usually) just bite my tongue but I can tell you, a lot of those deals judt didn't happen.

So, now the person who asks.." did I get a good deal" feels that they paid too much or got hosed.

Some people just love to rain on parades.
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    When we bought Hondas in 1995, 1997, and 1999 we always had to pay $150 or $200 over invoice. Otherwise, our offers were turned down.

We were going to buy a car last March, so I checked the Prices Paid forum and found a couple people who claimed they got their Accord for $500 under invoice with no doc fee. I couldn't believe it, so we drove to Fairfax Honda, offered $500 under invoice, and they accepted.
    ...they have no value. I'm just saying you have to take them with a grain of salt.
This discussion has been closed.