Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• ardie_888ardie_888 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2014

Thanks for all the help!

I've done my homework and am pretty close to pulling the trigger. Just got off the phone with a dealer and I feel OK about this deal but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

2014 328i with Tech package / Sport Line / Moonroof / Sport Auto Transmission / Heated Seats
    And Driver Assistance Package

MSRP: $47,775 / Negotiated Price: $41,600 / Other Rebates: $1,000

Price After Rebates: $40,600

Lease: 36 months/ 12k milles

Residual: $28,187.25 (59%)

Money Down: $5000 (They didn't break this down but said it included max security deposits)

When I asked about the money factor, the rep said 1.7. That only makes sense to me if she meant that was the annual interest rate. But she kept saying it was 1.7 when I asked about the MF.

Monthly PMT: $385

After tax monthly PMT: $415

This all sounds reasonable to me but I know people on here are much more expert than I. If you have thoughts, please let me know! Thanks!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Well.. you have to have a breakdown of the $5K. If it actually includes max MSDs, then the rate can't be .00170. The base money factor is .00130, and 7 MSDs would take it down to .00081. If the money factor is .00170, then they are marking it up the maximum. Even if they then use the MSDs, the MF is .00121, after the MF markup and the MSD discount.

Insist on the base MF minus the MSDs... That's .00081, and get a breakdown of the $5000.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• konacougkonacoug Member Posts: 196

Ardie_888: Basically, they have max raised the money factor on you by .00040 basis points. The end result is your MSD's barely get it below the standard rate of .000130, to .000121

You need to insist they email you a complete breakdown of all fees, where the incentives are being applied and the money factor. Remember, you are in charge of this deal. I also believe they are either de capping the selling price or adding other fees for your 5k down. I used a California zip and used the lease calculator here, estimating your DMV, doc fees and tax, came up with $412 including tax.

edited February 2014

Thanks guys. You're exactly right, what they were doing was decapping the lease instead of giving me credit for max security deposits. So they were giving me a .0017 MF instead of the .00081.

I told them I need the .00081. The rep's "talking with the manager." Provided I get the .00081 and a reasonable breakdown of upfront fees, does the negotiated price sound reasonable to you? That seems below invoice from what I gather so I'm not worried about the number but I'm no expert.

Thanks for all your help guys. I always make the error in negotiations of caving when somebody is seemingly being nice to me. Thanks for the support.

• gofast12gofast12 Member Posts: 1

I just got a call from my rep saying that they announced a new program for the rest of February on the 3 series. He is requiring me today. Does anyone have any details on this program? I'm in the market for a car, but my current lease (an infiniti) doesn't run out until mid April.

• eddiewesteddiewest Member Posts: 2
    One of my reps said they increased residuals during Feb

Ardie_888, the CA sounds like a smuck! Anyway, the sell price is fine, figured the doc fee was in there somewhere...that is a common sale technique, get the customer to like you and act like they are your friend and really doing this deal is really in your best interest. But, this is business... have him send you full disclosure, it sounds like you are in NJ from the doc fee.

• yolanyolan Member Posts: 3

Could you provide updated lease info (MF and residual) with the new program for 320i 15k/yr and 328i 15k/yr?

• gfish49gfish49 Member Posts: 27

Hello - just confirming the residual and money factors for the 328d are still .00130 MF and 56% for 36mo, 15K/yr. Still $1750 in credits too - right? Thanks for the help!

@yolan said:
    Could you provide updated lease info (MF and residual) with the new program for 320i 15k/yr and 328i 15k/yr?

320i: .00130 MF and 62% residual. $500 incentive cash.

328i: .00130 MF and 57% residual. $2000 incentive cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@gfish49 said:
    Hello - just confirming the residual and money factors for the 328d are still .00130 MF and 56% for 36mo, 15K/yr. Still $1750 in credits too - right? Thanks for the help!

All the same..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jakpennjakpenn Member Posts: 20

How about current numbers for 320i and 328i fro 36 mnonths at 10k miles? are they doing anything shorter on term? Thanks

@jakpenn said:
    How about current numbers for 320i and 328i fro 36 mnonths at 10k miles? are they doing anything shorter on term? Thanks

320i: .00130 MF and 65% residual. $500 incentive cash.

328i: .00130 MF and 60% residual. $2000 incentive cash.

Shorter term leases are not as good on these models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• eddiewesteddiewest Member Posts: 2

I am looking at a 3.28i x drive with metallic paint, leather seats, premium and cold weather packages sticker at 44.8K, invoice at 41.6K,
    Sale price from my best dealer including license, etc. is $40.3K. Which does not seem too bad.
    With no down, no deposits, 1st month and acq. fee of 725 for about $1.3K and $480/mo including taxes. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you,

• 86Barn86Barn Member Posts: 31

MF and residual for a 335 please and thanks!

36/39 mo and 10k/12k.

cheers!

@nourdmrolnmt1 said:
    MF and residual for a 335 please and thanks!

36/39 mo and 10k/12k.

cheers!

.00130 MF and 59% for 36mo, 12K/yr. Add 1% for 10K/yr

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• brooklynaudibrooklynaudi Member Posts: 53

Is it possible to get a 328 xdrive with payments under $400? Best I saw someone got it for $376 but had $2500 down, was looking to put way less then that down.

@brooklynaudi said:
    Is it possible to get a 328 xdrive with payments under $400? Best I saw someone got it for $376 but had $2500 down, was looking to put way less then that down.

Probably not...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• radblasterradblaster Member Posts: 6
    Ok I was all set to sign for the lease posted earlier. When I went in I tried to negotiate a better deal based on another offer I received. CA agreed said no problem I said lets do it. We went to start paperwork and CA said oh I already offered the deal we had previously just negotiated.

I was surprised, I told him, no edmunds said it was invoice price minus 2k$ in incentives. He said that Edmunds was often wrong on their invoice pricing. Seems fishy, to me.

Anyways he added:
    MACO and training/service fees
    For a total of 560$ ontop of my previously negotiated deal. Bummer. Training fee? For who? Im not being trained. He said its very common for SoCal dealers. I said it was never once mentioned in any of my prior research. He again said Edmund's is often wrong. Again, questionable at best...

He didnt pressure me, he said go home do your due dilligence and come back. He let me walk out, I was ready to pull the trigger on the deal since it was a 2hr drive before those fees popped up.

Tl;dr, is the Edmund's vehicle calculator wrong for invoice pricing? Are MACO and service fees "common" for SoCal? I think I know the answer already, feels like a classic bait and switch.

Thanks.
  • yolanyolan Member Posts: 3

@radblaster said:
    Ok I was all set to sign for the lease posted earlier. When I went in I tried to negotiate a better deal based on another offer I received. CA agreed said no problem I said lets do it. We went to start paperwork and CA said oh I already offered the deal we had previously just negotiated.

I was surprised, I told him, no edmunds said it was invoice price minus 2k$ in incentives. He said that Edmunds was often wrong on their invoice pricing. Seems fishy, to me.

Anyways he added:
    For a total of 560$ ontop of my previously negotiated deal. Bummer. Training fee? For who? Im not being trained. He said its very common for SoCal dealers. I said it was never once mentioned in any of my prior research. He again said Edmund's is often wrong. Again, questionable at best...

He didnt pressure me, he said go home do your due dilligence and come back. He let me walk out, I was ready to pull the trigger on the deal since it was a 2hr drive before those fees popped up.

Tl;dr, is the Edmund's vehicle calculator wrong for invoice pricing? Are MACO and service fees "common" for SoCal? I think I know the answer already, feels like a classic bait and switch.

Thanks.

Definitely bait and switch. You should have told him to break out every single cost before coming in and said if it's one cent off, you walk.

@eddiewest said:
    I am looking at a 3.28i x drive with metallic paint, leather seats, premium and cold weather packages sticker at 44.8K, invoice at 41.6K,
    Sale price from my best dealer including license, etc. is $40.3K. Which does not seem too bad.
    With no down, no deposits, 1st month and acq. fee of 725 for about $1.3K and $480/mo including taxes. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you,

It sounds okay, what is the money factor? It should be base .00130,

@radblaster said:

Anyways he added:
    For a total of 560$ ontop of my previously negotiated deal. Bummer. Training fee? For who? Im not being trained. He said its very common for SoCal dealers. I said it was never once

mentioned in any of my prior research. He again said Edmund's is often wrong. Again, questionable at best...

Thanks.

There are MACO and training fees....if you buy off the lot...when you order, they don't charge that. If you are in So Cal, it is the best customer market out there. Do yourself a huge favor and contact Greg Poland at Pacific BMW. He has a great rep and is a straight shooter.

edited February 2014
    Kona, hate to say it but that was Greg I was dealing with. I have to say up until that point he was great with communication and a straight shooter. Maybe he thought that once I was in the door I was ready to sign no matter what. Or saw the actual deal negotiated and realized there was not enough money to be made. Which is fine with me, just be straight forward about it. It ended up costing more than his first offer which was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

MACO is a regional advertising charge... It isn't listed on Edmunds invoice, because it's regional and variable... I'm pretty sure we have a disclaimer about that. It usually runs about $400, on average. The training fee is on the invoice, as well... It's $180, last time I saw it.. At one point, that was included in the base invoice calculation, but it may not be, any more.

So... at least the dealer isn't lying to you..

I'm sorry to see this happen, but it's pretty typical when offers are made in terms such as "$XXX over invoice".. Invoice gets to be whatever the dealer decides it is.... (even if they are correct). I suggest that when looking at a $50K car that has an invoice of $47K, and you want to offer $47K minus the $2K incentive, you make an offer of $45K. I never, ever bring up the term, "invoice" to a dealer. Dollars, cents, rates and residuals... that's all that matters.

In other words, anything that can be interpreted in a different way, will always be interpreted in favor of the dealer. Try to not leave anything to interpretation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited February 2014
    null
    -Hmm for some reason I can't quote on the mobile site.

Anyways, @kyfdx thanks for the clarification. It was just an unwelcomed surprise to me as it had not been mentioned in this thread when discussing terms. I have only bought 1 car before this and I don't recall any fees like that, though I probably got hosed in other ways.

Oh well! Dissapointed as I was excited at the prospect of a new car by next week but such is life. I will try my other options with that offer advice in mind. As well as refuse to go in unless the deal is exactly as negotiated via email.

Thank you!
  • amandasfamandasf Member Posts: 34

@eddiewest said:

Thank you,

Where are you located? I am interested in a similar deal. Did you get the car?

• isbn1975isbn1975 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2014

I'm about to sign the deal for 328i

MSRP: $42,875

Invoice: $39,115

Selling Price: $37,030 (incentives included)

36,000/36Month

Residual: 62%
    MF: 0.00081

No Down

Monthly: $341.73 + Tax

Due at Signing: 7 MSD, Reg, Bank, Doc and 1st Month

Doesn't look too bad to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Sounds like you did well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sjl136sjl136 Member Posts: 7

Looking for latest lease info (MF and residual) on 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagon; 36 mo @ 15k/yr.

@sjl136 said:
    Looking for latest lease info (MF and residual) on 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagon; 36 mo @ 15k/yr.

.00130 MF and 57% residual. $1000 in cash incentives.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• idriver1idriver1 Member Posts: 2

similar question on the MF and residual for 2014 328i, 36 mo. at 15k/yr. Also is the best way to add mileage through adjustment of the RV (obviously extra miles diminish value) vs buying miles? What are the increments -- is it 1% every 2500 miles up or down? Any info much appreciated.

@idriver1 said:
    similar question on the MF and residual for 2014 328i, 36 mo. at 15k/yr. Also is the best way to add mileage through adjustment of the RV (obviously extra miles diminish value) vs buying miles? What are the increments -- is it 1% every 2500 miles up or down? Any info much appreciated.

.00130 MF and 57% residual. $2000 of incentives

Mileage over 15K/yr is on a per mile basis. Last time I heard, it was $0.15/mi.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• amandasfamandasf Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2014

Hi all. Please tell me if this is a good deal.

328i xdrive- red with black leather. premium package, driver assistance package, lighting package, navigation, alarm, metallic paint, wood (included). MSRP $49,225.

Reduced the price of the car by approx $6,000.

.00150 money factor (tried for .00130, only got them down this far)

10k/36mo

$2,000 down, includes first month payment

$490.53 including 7% sales tax monthly.

I've had 2 dealers fighting with each other over this deal and this is as low as they both would go. The other dealer gave me the same deal, but the price is $400 less because it does not have the alarm (same packages, but it is in silver), their monthly payment was $485.00

thought? also which color do you like better?

• ban5ban5 Member Posts: 1

Hello and thanks for any info.

Please let me know if this is good or bad?

2014 328i

msrp: 45625
    36mos/12k
    sales price: 40500 (includes rebates)
    MF: .0017

No money down, nothing to bring, just $550 a month and it includes tax.

@amandasf said:
    Hi all. Please tell me if this is a good deal.

328i xdrive- red with black leather. premium package, driver assistance package, lighting package, navigation, alarm, metallic paint, wood (included). MSRP $49,225.

Reduced the price of the car by approx $6,000.

.00150 money factor (tried for .00130, only got them down this far)

10k/36mo

$2,000 down, includes first month payment

$490.53 including 7% sales tax monthly.

I've had 2 dealers fighting with each other over this deal and this is as low as they both would go. The other dealer gave me the same deal, but the price is $400 less because it does not have the alarm (same packages, but it is in silver), their monthly payment was $485.00

thought? also which color do you like better?

The deal looks decent.. Contrary to my avatar, I'd prefer silver over red.. but, not sure that matters, since it's your car... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@ban5 said:

2014 328i

36mos/12k

I don't know the tax rate for where you live, but full markups on the money factor make me nauseous... That adds about $30/mo. to your payment...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Just wanted to thank everybody on the forum, particularly kona and kyf. I got them to break down all the fees and everything and compared that to what others got online. I walked away with a deal I was happy with. They pushed the mf down to the .00081 and gave a 61% residual on 12k miles. Thank you!

• julio91julio91 Member Posts: 158

i love this forum, I wish i could work for you guys, this is all i do research deals and what deals can be made thanks guys for making all this accessible to us. I got really screwed on my first lease and still need a full 3 yrs to learn from it (4 YR Lease is a big NO NO). I already got three of my family members insane deals on two Lexus's and now in the works for a possible SUV (still shopping) for another. Could have not done it if it wasn't for all you guy posting and sharing your whole experience.

• voldermortvoldermort Member Posts: 67

@isbn1975 said:
    I'm about to sign the deal for 328i

MSRP: $42,875

Invoice: $39,115

Selling Price: $37,030 (incentives included)

36,000/36Month

Residual: 62%
    MF: 0.00081

No Down

Monthly: $341.73 + Tax

Due at Signing: 7 MSD, Reg, Bank, Doc and 1st Month

Doesn't look too bad to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

• voldermortvoldermort Member Posts: 67

this sounds great> what options did you have?
    What state did you get this deal?
    thanks.

@ban5 said:

2014 328i

36mos/12k

The sales price is pretty good, still an above invoice, with considering the incentives.... as Kyfdx stated, you are getting maxed on the money factor. This is just another way for the dealer to make money. As soon as you sign for the higher MF, the dealer makes a higher profit. I also wondering about your monthly payment, it does seem a little high... but you must be rolling in all of your fees into the payment.

• isbn1975isbn1975 Member Posts: 7

@voldermort said:
    this sounds great> what options did you have?
    What state did you get this deal?
    thanks.

I'm in California. Includes moonroof, navigation, heated seats and driver assistance package. I got a different vehicle though as I wanted the lighting package, but got a similar discount.

Just wanted to thank Kona and Kyfdx for the help. I snagged an amazing(understatement) deal from Jon @ santa barbara bmw. I got $3k under invoice, 61%, .081 mf, with baseline fees. It worked out wonderfully. Car is a custom order and in production this week. If you can wait some time for a custom order go see Jon for a great deal.

I also have nothing bad at all to say about Greg. I ended up shooting myself in the foot on that deal, it was already a great deal and I asked for more. As they say though everything happens for a reason, and I got something I am even more happy with.
  • sunny48sunny48 Member Posts: 24

Anyone know what the March incentives might be?

I'm taking my grown kids with me to look at and hopefully test drive a 328ix GT which we will be sharing. Yes, I am aware that the NY Times panned its design last Sunday, but my kids, who are very fashion forward and hip NYers, love it. They love its extended glass moonroof - the whole top is glass - and all the space inside as they are both very tall, so if they still love it today, I'll be ordering it after doing some negotiating.

In December my local Dealer had offered them the set up they wanted for MSRP of $55,050 at $637 a month which was ridiculous. I went in, spoke to another guy at the dealership, got a breakdown of prices and fees, asked about residual value and money factor and the monthly payment began to drop from 637 to 612 to 586. I ended up with the following:

$51,150 selling price, 59% residual and .00145 money factor, buyout $34,379
    12k a year for 39 months
    $3,722 cash down as follows:
    - 1st month $ 586.68
    - NY sales tax $1,973.44
    - acq. fee $ 925
    - fuel surcharge $ 60
    - tire fee $ 12.50 (what's that?)
    - inspection fee $ 10
    - Doc. fee $ 75
    - tax on the fees $ 79.78

I wasn't ready to move as I wanted my husband to see the car first, but did speak to another dealership and got the monthly down to $579 - then when the manager cam over, to $569. It offered a money factor of .00130, a lower bank fee of $725 and while I did not get breakdown of fees ( I now know I should have and will today) the drive away coast including 1st month was $3268, so there must have been a savings of $187 in fees.

After we see and drive the car, I plan on looking up its invoice cost which is why I am curious about incentives as I understand they should come off the invoice, not the sales price. Am I right?

@radblaster said:
    Just wanted to thank Kona and Kyfdx for the help. I snagged an amazing(understatement) deal from Jon @ santa barbara bmw. I got $3k under invoice, 61%, .081 mf, with baseline fees. It worked out wonderfully. Car is a custom order and in production this week. If you can wait some time for a custom order go see Jon for a great deal.

I also have nothing bad at all to say about Greg. I ended up shooting myself in the foot on that deal, it was already a great deal and I asked for more. As they say though everything happens for a reason, and I got something I am even more happy with.

Congrats on the new car! I've heard nothing but good things about both of those guys.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@sunny48 said:
    Anyone know what the March incentives might be?

I'm taking my grown kids with me to look at and hopefully test drive a 328ix GT which we will be sharing. Yes, I am aware that the NY Times panned its design last Sunday, but my kids, who are very fashion forward and hip NYers, love it. They love its extended glass moonroof - the whole top is glass - and all the space inside as they are both very tall, so if they still love it today, I'll be ordering it after doing some negotiating.

In December my local Dealer had offered them the set up they wanted for MSRP of $55,050 at $637 a month which was ridiculous. I went in, spoke to another guy at the dealership, got a breakdown of prices and fees, asked about residual value and money factor and the monthly payment began to drop from 637 to 612 to 586. I ended up with the following:

$51,150 selling price, 59% residual and .00145 money factor, buyout $34,379
    12k a year for 39 months
    $3,722 cash down as follows:
    - 1st month $ 586.68
    - NY sales tax $1,973.44
    - acq. fee $ 925
    - fuel surcharge $ 60
    - tire fee $ 12.50 (what's that?)
    - inspection fee $ 10
    - Doc. fee $ 75
    - tax on the fees $ 79.78

I wasn't ready to move as I wanted my husband to see the car first, but did speak to another dealership and got the monthly down to $579 - then when the manager cam over, to $569. It offered a money factor of .00130, a lower bank fee of $725 and while I did not get breakdown of fees ( I now know I should have and will today) the drive away coast including 1st month was $3268, so there must have been a savings of $187 in fees.

After we see and drive the car, I plan on looking up its invoice cost which is why I am curious about incentives as I understand they should come off the invoice, not the sales price. Am I right?

You are definitely on the right track, as you have detailed quote infomation. As you discovered, .00130 is the base MF and $725 is the base acquisition fee. The tire fee is a government fee that helps pay for tire recycling/tire dump clean-up. It's on every new tire sold, whether aftermarket, or on a new car.

New lease numbers are effective today, but we don't have that information, yet. Last month, there were $1000 of incentives on the 328 GT, but we'll have to see about this month. I was under the impression that there was a residual increase for the 3-Series cars for the last half of February. 64% for 36mo, 12K/yr on the 328GT. Not sure if that will carry over for March, but it's likely that it will. So, when you continue your shopping, be sure to ask about the new residuals.

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cali16cali16 Member Posts: 2

Can anyone give me residual, MF and incentives for March (when available) for a 2014 328i M Sport? 3yr 12K

@cali16 said:
    Can anyone give me residual, MF and incentives for March (when available) for a 2014 328i M Sport? 3yr 12K

.00130 MF and 61% residual. $2000 option credit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Cali16, I recommend you contact Greg at Pacific BMW or Jon at Santa Barbara BMW, they are both excellent Ca's and will provide you with a good deal.

• sunny48sunny48 Member Posts: 24

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    Good luck!

Thank you for responding. However, on going back to see it, my two kids and I decided against the GT and are interested in a 5 series instead. We test drove one and are thinking over options before ordering .

This discussion has been closed.