Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

There was someone on one of the threads here on Edmunds wanting to get out of their few month old Murano because it was black and it showed too much dirt. The amount of money they'd lose on the trade would be more than paying for a car wash once a week for the next 5 or 6 years.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@roadburner

"his wife wanted to get rid of their new Wrangler because it was noisy, had a rough ride, and the convertible top..."

I don't get it. I thought that was half the fun of driving a Wrangler B)

@boomcheck

I saw that post & it was beyond absurd. But from what I gather, the Murano was paid off or had only a small loan to pay off. SO the people weren't underwater on it. No harm, no foul.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789

@nyccarguy said:
    boomcheck

I saw that post & it was beyond absurd. But from what I gather, the Murano was paid off or had only a small loan to pay off. SO the people weren't underwater on it. No harm, no foul.

Over the COLOR of the car! That's so hilariously fickle! Admittedly, though, I had some fairly strong reservations about buying my Fiesta because of its color ("magenta," or "raspberry" as I call it), but otherwise it was optioned up exactly as I would have purchased new. After 18 months, I'm really happy with that little car. At this point, the only reason I would have preferred that my color aversion won out is that otherwise I likely would have purchased a Fiesta ST last fall.

In the end, it's probably best I bought the car I did. Not as much fun, though. :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Yeah, I'm considering getting rid of my car cause I have to put gas in it occasionally and change the tires when they wear out ;).

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited March 2014

@roadburner said:
    andres3- Definitely get compensation for diminished value- assuming it is recoverable in your state...

Well, apparently only GA and FL are "Diminished Value" friendly. I don't know if CA is "anti DV" or just neutral. My own policy apparently specifically excluded DV. The other guys Mercury insurance seemed more willing to consider it, and told me I had to "prove it" If I claim it. However, he then added the [non-permissible content removed] in the 2011 Lexus RX 350 may have had "very low limits" and therefore it looks like I might have to sue for both rental car coverage and for DV.

I also might be suing for lost S4 track time in April, loss of warranty duration use (prorated from the 4 year/50K miles), loss of roadside assistance use (prorated from the 4/year/50K miles), and anything else but the kitchen sink I can throw at him. Have I not thought of anything?

Insurance companies have too many gaps. I try to cover myself for any losses that would be incurred from an at-fault driver since that's the only type of accident I'll likely ever have in my life. I don't buy rental because it costs for covering your own at-fault accidents.

I need a rider for "uninsured/underinsured rental car coverage" and "DV."

No wonder Geico is cheap, but I imagine most Insurance companies exclude DV to their own insured, but you can't just deny it when your liable, or you can, but it's arguable.

Does anyone know if Mercury's adjuster is correct in saying Under/uninsurance doesn't cover rental car costs? I haven't verified this yet with my own insurance; maybe they'll cover it since they have to cover the car under collision.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Should I go ahead and rent a "fun car" and not lose my track time and costs in April? Should I get the extra "track" insurance and add that to my lawsuit if the guys limits are exceeded by the repair costs (let alone rental, Diminished Value, and others stuff).

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

I have heard that the companies that advertise the most and the ones that end in a CO are the worst to deal with. Some will drop you like a bad habit if you happen to pick up a couple of tickets or have an accident. A friend got dropped because he was "accident prone"

After 40 years of accident free driving he got rear ended while he was stopped twice in the same year. I think I'll stick with State Farm.

@rayainsw said:
    andres3 - Sorry to read about the S4.
    You are OK?

• Ray

Damage to vehicles is at least not as bad a damage to people . . .

Yes, I am OK. Just upset my dream car was soiled at 4,100 miles.

My front right end (extreme offset) clipped his front left end. He was pulling out of a driveway to my right apparently going to make a left turn on the road I was going straight on. He somehow managed to dart his nose out just enough to get my front right end and do some serious damage since it mostly missed the front frame (suspension wrecked, wheel was pushed back a tad). Since we were at about 90 degrees to each other, his front end basically got whacked off.

The guy said he didn't see me (Misano Red S4 with LED DRL's!). There was a right turn I had completed about 200' prior.

He must of:

1) Not looked at all.
    2) Been distracted on a cell or something else.
    3) For left turns you look left, right, then left again; at a minimum he didn't do the last part of this.
    4) He did it on purpose and targeted me.

I had no chance to avoid him, and no, I wasn't speeding, I was probably only going about 25 MPH. Had I been driving like your supposed to drive a S4, and whipped that right turn at 50 MPH, this accident wouldn't have happened because I'd of been past his zone of influence (sample of 1).

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4124103/#Comment_4124103

That was my 3,500 mile report just a couple week ago. Why I posted it in that forum linked above I'm not quite sure.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

@jayrider said:
    at 71 I'll be ready for my first Corvette.

My son bought his Corvette (which I later acquired from him) from a guy who was 71. He said the reason he was selling it was because he could get into it but it took two people to get him back out.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited March 2014

@jayrider said:
    You don't need to pay the extra cost for CPO -- nothing goes wrong with the CT's or the Prius. The safest used car bet around.

I just did a quick search on 2008-2012 Prius(es?) and the owner complaints to the NHTSA.
    It turns out there were around 3200 complaints on sales of around 710,000 which correlates to a complaint rate of 4.5 per 1000.

Generally complaints to NHTSA are serious. By contrast complaints of the 2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu were 868 on sales of around 952,000 which correlates to a complaint rate of less than 1 per 1000.

Therefore the complaint rate to NHTSA of the Prius years 2008-2012 were almost 5x greater than the Malibu and was higher than most cars.

So I wouldn't consider it a used car safe bet.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

I'd consider a Prius to be one of the safest used car bets out there, provided you like the car. I test drove a loaded Prius V last year and just couldn't deal with its pokiness, which was disappointing as I liked the size and space.

With the incentives, seems like a new one is a pretty good deal at the moment.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139

What a disaster, I am sorry that you got a dream car and then that happened. And I am absolutely not surprised it was an RX being offensive - they sometimes attract a not very with-it clientele.
    With the complicated Audi drivetrain, I wonder what the bill will be for suspension damage.

@andres3 said:

With today being the 1st official day of Spring & tomorrow's temps predicted to reach into the 60s, I figured tomorrow would be the perfect day to take the Prelude to work & give it the 1st official drive of 2014. It took a jolt from the back end of my BMW, but once it fired up, it settled down to a nice idle. I had to run an errand tonight & gave the Prelude a small workout. It still drives great. Amazing just how well it fits me. I love how light, tossable, & free revving it is. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's commute!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

@nyccarguy said:
    With today being the 1st official day of Spring & tomorrow's temps predicted to reach into the 60s, I figured tomorrow would be the perfect day to take the Prelude to work & give it the 1st official drive of 2014. It took a jolt from the back end of my BMW, but once it fired up, it settled down to a nice idle. I had to run an errand tonight & gave the Prelude a small workout. It still drives great. Amazing just how well it fits me. I love how light, tossable, & free revving it is. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's commute!

It's great to get back in a really enjoyable car, isn't it? With the ice/snow/salt gone I've been taking the ti or '02 out every chance I get. They are such a great alternative to the cocoons of isolation that most new cars are becoming. I guess that's one reason I'm drawn to the Abarth; it's light, nimble and edgy- if not a bit hyper.

One odd thing; I drive Number One Son's X3 once a week to keep the battery charged and for some reason I find myself preferring it my wife's 3er. I just can't put my finger on why...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner

****"It's great to get back in a really enjoyable car, isn't it?"****

It really is. My Prelude was designed and manufactured at a time when fuel economy and making the car a rolling iPad weren't tops on people's automotive checklists. It's engine spins at 3500 rpm in 5th gear going 70 mph. Creature comforts include air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, and a power moon roof.

The odometer turned over 151,000 miles this AM while I was merging onto the highway shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear. The car literally drives like it has maybe 50,000 miles. I love it! Since the plan is (this week anyway) for me to take our Pilot as my DD once the lease is up on my 328xi, I plan on getting a lot more seat time in my Prelude as long as weather and traffic permits.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2014

@greg128 said:
    Generally complaints to NHTSA are serious.

Well, it's been a while since I've skimmed complaints but there's no criteria for filing a complaint and I remember seeing a lot of non-safety related stuff over there that consumers are complaining about. I'm pretty irritated with their lack of action on anything - serious or not. Complain, but if you actually expect any results in the next decade over a serious car issue, you're better off hiring a lawyer.

There's two 2014 Prius complaints at safercar.gov. One's about the windshields making people car sick at night due to reflection and someone stuck their arm out the window and the window closed on them. Not exactly SUA type issues.

@fintail

I do agree with your assessment of the typical RX driver, it definitely isn't limited to them specifically. There are all kinds of jerks in all kinds of cars. In fact, last night there was a Super Charged S4 weaving in and out of traffic that would have side swiped me at 75 mph if I didn't move into the shoulder and let him in.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

@nyccarguy said:

It really is. My Prelude was designed and manufactured at a time when fuel economy and making the car a rolling iPad weren't tops on people's automotive checklists. It's engine spins at 3500 rpm in 5th gear going 70 mph. Creature comforts include air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, and a power moon roof.

The odometer turned over 151,000 miles this AM while I was merging onto the highway shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear. The car literally drives like it has maybe 50,000 miles. I love it! Since the plan is (this week anyway) for me to take our Pilot as my DD once the lease is up on my 328xi, I plan on getting a lot more seat time in my Prelude as long as weather and traffic permits.

Your Prelude sounds a lot like my ti; it even has the same gearing in fifth. The ti also drives like an almost new car. It would be nice to have steering wheel controls for the sound system, and heated seats would also be a great addition, but aside from those "luxuries" I really can't think of anything I would add. I do have a Monster cassette adapter that allows me to play my iPod through the sound system, and while I didn't expect great results, it actually doesn't sound bad at all.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

Those cassette adapters aren't all that bad. It basically makes your Ipod/Phone sound like a really well recorded tape. I actually preferred those to the FM transmitter units, they stink.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

You cannot sue your OWN company for DV in most cases, and this is specifically written into policies; but third-party DV is a legal matter and no insurance company can write that into a policy. You have no contract with the insurance company of the party who creamed your new Mercedes and caused $10,000 damage and probably as much DV loss.

Now, the third party insurance company can dig in their heels and "reject" your DV claim, and that's when you call the lawyer--they will sometimes cave on that basis.

You have a legal right to claim DV because you have been aggrieved financially. The only question is how much % DV off the car's market value is reasonable.

@andres3 said:

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513

my TL (still seems weird to call it that!) has a roadie XM unit that plays through a cassette adapter. Been in there for about 10 years, and still works fine. Beats listening to local FM. There is a 2nd adapter that I can pop in if I want to use my phone or itouch, but I don't bother since I don't drive that far.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139

Audi drivers get a lot of the bad rap BMW drivers have received over the past few decades. They even make fun of it on Top Gear (UK). Not a concrete rule of course, but it seems like a few makes just don't have turn signals or enough outward visibility to aid in courteous lane changing, etc.

3500rpm at 70 - that's about where my old I6 W126 300SE would be, in 4th - and it seemed a little high strung for an old cruiser. When MB finally got the 5 speed auto around 1992, it helped.

For the ipod stuff, I once had a transmitter that would play the ipod on a chosen radio frequency. I forget what it was called, but it worked well enough. Funny thing, the 50 year old Becker Europa TR in my fintail is set up with an input at rear, when I had the radio rebuilt, I had a port aux jack installed and routed it under the dash - so I can use an ipod on a vintage radio in an old car. I prefer to listen to relatively period correct music in an old car, and I like oldies anyway.

@nyccarguy said:
    fintail

>

Some of the older radios (even in the 90s) probably have the input jack because the CD changer was often a stand-alone unit in the trunk (or with a Lexus, the glove box). I assume that would plug into a jack, that could be re-purposed for an Ipod.

edited March 2014

You don't usually see any Prius Fives like this 2012 with 32,000 miles. @stickguy, these BHPH used car lots that litter Route 46 on the NJ side of the GW Bridge have always struck me as kinda shady. Not bad for a $16,776 asking price.

@stickguy said:
    Some of the older radios (even in the 90s) probably have the input jack because the CD changer was often a stand-alone unit in the trunk (or with a Lexus, the glove box). I assume that would plug into a jack, that could be re-purposed for an Ipod.

There are adaptors available to use the CD changer port. I had one in my Avalon.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@nyccarguy, that Prius looks pretty nice and the price is good. Nice color too. The one I want, new, is about twice that price. :'(

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@nyccarguy said:
    You don't usually see any Prius Fives like this 2012 with 32,000 miles. stickguy, these BHPH used car lots that litter Route 46 on the NJ side of the GW Bridge have always struck me as kinda shady. Not bad for a $16,776 asking price.

That is the V model which is a loaded regular Prius. Nice price. There is a Prius v that is the larger model. I have no idea why Toyota named thos two vehicles in such a confusing way.

@roadburner

I agree 100%.

looks like a pretty nice car and decent deal, though I have never actually shopped or priced them, so no clue what a new one would cost.

There are a lot of areas up around the GWB I would not frequent. That and the glorified chop shops down around Jersey city.

Philly has some very shady areas like that too.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited March 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    You cannot sue your OWN company for DV in most cases, and this is specifically written into policies; but third-party DV is a legal matter and no insurance company can write that into a policy. You have no contract with the insurance company of the party who creamed your new Mercedes and caused $10,000 damage and probably as much DV loss.

Now, the third party insurance company can dig in their heels and "reject" your DV claim, and that's when you call the lawyer--they will sometimes cave on that basis.

You have a legal right to claim DV because you have been aggrieved financially. The only question is how much % DV off the car's market value is reasonable.

Andres3....I agree with Mr Shift. The other guy was at fault, and the police report states that, right? Or, did I miss something?

You can get proof of DV. I'd go to 2 or 3 Audi dealers with pics of your wrecked car and ask them what they'd offer for it as a straight cash deal knowing it had been wrecked and then repaired (because it will show up on a Carfax with that much damage). That number should be compared to what they would offer for the same S4 with a pristine Carfax. The delta is the DV. IF they're worth their salt, they'll put that in writing for you, especially if they think they'll get another sale from you.

Are you saying the other guy's insurance won't pay for your rental car?

The other guy's insurance limits are his issue, not yours. Otherwise, what's the point of having insurance? Somebody is giving you the run around.

Actually, I'd turn your insurance company loose on his insurance company. You pay them to keep you whole. Let them do their job.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

A whole bunch of 2013 Leftover VWs in Northern NJ. The prices don't look all that great. Why not just put your "rock bottom, blow out price?" It is almost April!

@graphicguy said:
    Actually, I'd turn your insurance company loose on his insurance company. You pay them to keep you whole. Let them do their job.

I'm letting my insurance company handle the claim; here's the rub:

The guy apparently had a $10,000 limit on property liability. The repairs have already exceeded $15,000 in CA prices on the first estimate. The rental will probably be around $1,250. The diminished value on a $50K car with 4,000 miles? $7K - 10K?

Thanks for the advice fellas, I probably will do exactly that with two Audi dealers. I know on my old '06 A3 I was offered 6K instead of $7K about a year ago because of a very ultra minor accident, but it was on the report. Ended up selling it for 8K private party anyway. That's 1/7th of the value in that case on an old car, but the S4 is new.

Therefore, my insurance will pay for my own car's repairs since I have collision with a deductible waiver on uninsurance/underinsurance coverage.

However, I opted not to get rental car coverage under the assumption it would always be paid by the at-fault parties insurance. This is a good reason (other person being underinsured) to opt for rental car insurance on your own policy; lesson learned.

So my insurance company will have to go after the driver personally for (DV, rental, and the remainder of the repair over 10K). I think my DV and rental costs will be on a "reimbursable" basis, meaning I'll be waiting for awhile unless the guy is cooperative.

Only good news; the 10K limits of his policy goes first to paying my deductible. Only 9K will go to Geico at first from Mercury (the other guys insurance is Mercury). Mercury will write a check for $10,000 and then leave the party for the remaining victims to sort it out.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited March 2014

andres3,

You may need to speak to an attorney in your state. In my state, the injured party (you) is supposed to be made whole first (including payment of DV) before your own insurance can recover their collision policy payments from the at-fault party's insurance company. Obviously, it would be much easier for you to collect from his insurance policy than him individually. You may need a professional DV appraiser rather than a dealer--a dealer has a vested interest in offering you as little as possible for your car.

I also find it completely idiotic that someone driving a 2011 Lexus would have an insurance policy with only minimum limits.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited March 2014

Completely seat-of-the-pants here, but in terms of what other people are willing to pay, I estimate DV at 20% of the car's (current) value for cars <5 years old and 15% thereafter. So, sadly, even if Andre's car was $50K new, he probably lost what, five grand (or more?) just driving it off the lot. So, if his 4,000-mile, three-month-old S4 is now worth $45,000 retail, it might be only worth $36,000 after it is repaired from this little faux pas.

And, corvette, you're spot on: Why would anyone have only the minimum limits?! Especially if the minimum is that low ($10K). Mind-blowing.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Does anybody know if Geico would actually sue an individual for the remainder? Or is that going to be Andres job?

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Even though I do not personally like them as a whole, this might be a case for one of those "ambulance-chaser" kind of attorneys.

• gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2014

One sad thing I've learned (especially living in CA) is that just because somebody drives a late-model Lexus, or other fancy car, doesn't mean they have any extra money. You can sue, but collecting can be a real PITA. I carry a very large policy on my $2500 car as a counter point :)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

@corvette said:
    andres3,

I also find it completely idiotic that someone driving a 2011 Lexus would have an insurance policy with only minimum limits.

Just a guess here but maybe his Lexus was a lease and he took the minimum required insurance?

Also, is it wise to think andres3's insurance company will go to bat for DV on his behalf if they themselves don't have to pay out anything for that?

Or am I missing something?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

From what I've heard, the ins. co's fight this DV thing tooth and nail!

No way to put an exact value since every accident is different.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Does anybody know if Geico would actually sue an individual for the remainder? Or is that going to be Andres job?

This probably varies by state, but I think this is where the uninsured/underinsured motorist portion of your insurance policy kicks in.

@gouldn said:
    One sad thing I've learned (especially living in CA) is that just because somebody drives a late-model Lexus, or other fancy car, doesn't mean they have any extra money. You can sue, but collecting can be a real PITA. I carry a very large policy on my $2500 car as a counter point :)

Yes, I don't have much confidence should the guy be a deadbeat and choose not to pay his liabilities since he's the one that CHOSE to carry low limits, and CHOSE to drive in a negligent manner causing an accident. However, I'd like to make my Insurance company work to the full hilt and extent of the law towards collecting on the claim, and it helps that they have skin in the game. I would like to go after him to the full hilt on principals alone.

Hopefully I write a demand letter, attach supporting receipts/documentation, and he pays up without a fight.

If you get a judgment on someone, they can be harassed--you can garnishee their wages, you can seize their bank account and if they have a very fat IRA, you can go after that, too. And of course, if they own property, yum, yum. The perp's only defense is to file Chapter 7, and even then you may be able to vacuum his bank account, but as soon as he files a 7 you can no longer dun him.

Unless they like hiding under a rock, some pressure may work.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Andres...I'm thinking if your insurance company picks up the delta between the repair costs + DV after the initial $10K from Mercury (never heard of them, btw), they'll very definitely go after the offending underinsured defendant.

Craig, while I know insurance companies do indeed fight anyone claiming DV. But, there's a difference between a person driving a 6 year old Camry that they bought for $20K, and someone who bought a semi rare model, 4K miles, practically new $50K+ Audi. If Andres were to try to replace it, even if he could find a used one with that low mileage, he's staring at high $40s, with a pristine record. I'd make the case I hadn't even had that first oil change, yet.

Couple of letters from dealers, and a Magistrate or Judge who understands the car that was wrecked, it should be relatively easty to prove DV.

This scenario really irritates me, and it's not even my car.

Not sure what the state mandated liability limits are here in Ohio, but $10K sounds low. $10K barely covers a moderate fender bender these days.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Just a guess here but maybe his Lexus was a lease and he took the minimum required insurance?

The last lease I had, the finance company required I carry something like $50k property damage liability and $100k/300k bodily injury liability (I carried more than that anyway), to protect them (and, by extension, me).

andres3, I sent you a PM with a little more specific info.

yeah, when I was looking into insurance for my son, they asked about buy or lease, because they require higher minimums.

Yes, 100/300/50 for just about any lease company. I couldn't imagine carrying anything less than that anyway. Even in NJ it's not that much more per year.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380

@rayainsw said:
    BMW M235i - my second test drive.

Note: this M235i had been ordered with [ for whatever reason ] run flat Perelli all season tires.
    Cinturato P7s – size 225/40 x 18s – same size front & rear.

I drove another M235i this afternoon. I do not trust myself to make a decision to spend this amount of money [ close to $50,000 MSRP, loaded ] without taking at lease 2 test drives – preferably separated by more than a week.

Aside from the different tires mentioned above, this was fundamentally & dynamically the same as the previous unit I drove. I also drove this one as I drive my cars almost every day, year ‘round = sunroof in full rear tilt up. I used the paddle shifters extensively, shifting up and down at various RPM and throttle openings. Excellent engine TQ. Flexible and very quick at every speed and any RPM. [ Briefly up to 80 MPH = approx.. 2250 RPM in top gear. ] Excellent exhaust sounds - on acceleration & on the overrun. Obvious, but not obnoxiously loud. Just right, for me

The automatic may not shift quite as quickly as the best dual clutch gearboxes, but it is very quick, while also not jarring at all – kudos. Upshifts begin with no discernable delay between paddle shift movement and shift execution. The downshifts are similarly quick, with precise rev matching and smooth transitions. 8 gears may seem like a lot of shifting would be going on, but in Drive, unless you are watching the tachometer and listening to the engine, there is virtually no indication that shifting occurs. Smooth.

The ride was certainly OK with the run flat tires, but as certainly was better with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports non-run flats. The handling was very good, though I never approach cornering limits in any test drive. To me, it feels both agile and well planted. Secure & ‘tossable’ - fun.

I did the test drive with a substitute sales rep, as ‘mine’ was tied up when I arrived.
    So – after my drive, the sub went to fetch my sales rep, and the sales person [ name withheld ] said they had not driven one. In fact, said that they had not even seen one before this one arrived at the dealership [ 7 miles when I took the wheel. ] I volunteered to be a passenger if they wanted to take the opportunity to drive now.

I was rather surprised that the offer was accepted. The sales person [ a very good and very aggressive driver ] cornered harder than I have ever come close to in a test drive – also exceeded the speed limits by more than I would typically dare. It was very interesting to observe from the passenger seat. Absorbing the sensations without having to also pay close attention to traffic and road conditions. The tires never gave any hint of being overworked. Certainly not dangerous driving, but far beyond anything I would dream of doing – even with a well broken in, used BMW - let alone one with barely 15 miles on the odometer, at the start of this second ‘test drive’.

So. Very, very impressed, I am. I think it better fits my wants & needs, at the price point, than anything else currently available. Worth every dime of what I expect would be a negotiated transaction price – to me.

Want one. Now. But will likely wait a while & order one later this year – or early next.

• Ray

From a BMW press release about the new 2 series – ‘Addictive power: six-cylinder in-line engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology.’

‘Addictive: very enjoyable in a way that makes you want to do or have

something again’. I agree.

Sorry to be late to the party on this one, been out of town for a bit.

I noticed my dealer has 2 in stock (may be the same dealer Ray uses) and both are black on black, one 228i and one M235i. This dealer seems to keep a ton of black on black cars, especially 3 series, in inventory. Don't understand that here in Atlanta. My E92 was blk/blk and it was a killer in the summer.

Anyway, the sticker on the 228i is 43.6 and they want 51.6 for the M. Seems like a lotta bucks for the I6 and a huge gap between the two models. But, based on Ray's review I'd say its worth it and an M is the only one I'd have!!

FWIW, 51.6 is more than what the sticker was on my F30.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@graphicguy said:
    Andres...I'm thinking if your insurance company picks up the delta between the repair costs + DV after the initial $10K from Mercury (never heard of them, btw), they'll very definitely go after the offending underinsured defendant.

Craig, while I know insurance companies do indeed fight anyone claiming DV. But, there's a difference between a person driving a 6 year old Camry that they bought for $20K, and someone who bought a semi rare model, 4K miles, practically new $50K+ Audi. If Andres were to try to replace it, even if he could find a used one with that low mileage, he's staring at high $40s, with a pristine record. I'd make the case I hadn't even had that first oil change, yet.

Couple of letters from dealers, and a Magistrate or Judge who understands the car that was wrecked, it should be relatively easty to prove DV.

This scenario really irritates me, and it's not even my car.

Not sure what the state mandated liability limits are here in Ohio, but $10K sounds low. $10K barely covers a moderate fender bender these days.

I totally agree with you. On a high end car that is practically new, a dirty Car Fax will really hurt it. It's just hard to say how much it's value will be affected.

Modern body shops that have the equipment and skills can do a great job of restoring a car to like new condition but potential buyers still think that a car will "never be the same" after an accident.

And, who knows how bad the collision was and how skilled the shop was that fixed it?

It get's pretty murky to say the least.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2014

au1994 -

Everyone clearly needs to decide for him \ her self if any car is worth the asking price.

The 228i starts at $33,025 with Destination. One with an MSRP of $43.6 would have to be ‘loaded’ with nearly every option offered.

And the M235i starts at $44,025 with Dest. The way I would order one, today [ adding metallic paint, cold pkg & Premium pkg ] would sticker for $47,425.

In the context of what else is currently available, this is what I would buy – if buying \ ordering today. Part of the ‘context’ is: That M235i MSRP is almost exactly $10,000 less than the [ US ] MSRP of the 2011 335iS I took delivery of in Munich. And [ for me ] I believe it is actually a better car than that 335iS in almost every aspect – and certainly in the ‘top 10’ aspects most important to me.

Does not make it a bargain, but ‘worth it’, to me.

• Ray

NOT ordering today . . .

2022 X3 M40i