Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
edited May 2015 in Volkswagen
For current leasing information, go to 2015 Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

Welcome to the Edmunds discussion dedicated to 2014 Volkswagen GTI leasing questions.

Here you can find and discuss all the latest lease details for the 2014 GTI, including cap costs, money factors, residual values, acquisition fees, etc. Please post any leasing questions you have or any details you’d like to share about your own lease deals.

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications, on our 2014 Volkswagen GTI page.

To see all forums discussions about the Volkswagen GTI, including earlier model years, please visit our list of Volkswagen GTI discussions.

Navigation tips: To see the most recent information and activity, make sure to visit the latest post, which may be a few pages ahead. Click the pages numbers just below to go to a new page in the discussion -- or search the entire discussion by clicking the magnifying glass icon and entering keywords.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• newcar4meplznewcar4meplz Member Posts: 2
    Hi kyfdx,

Could you please run the numbers for me on a 2014 GTI Driver's for 36m/12k & 36m/15k? Westchester County, NY.

Thanks!
    -S
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    .0014 MF and 55% residual on Sign then Drive leases for 36mo, 15K/yr
    Add 2% for 12K/yr lease

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kkovalikkovali Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

Hello, I've just sorted out a lease deal with my local dealer for a 2014 Drivers Edition GTI, I haven't taken it yet. Is it a good deal?

MSRP: $31,885
    Negotiated price: $30,450
    Total price with tax and fees: $32,223

With $3000 down, $365 per month for 36mo 12k/yr lease or $355 for 10k/yr. (all including tax)

Residual is something like 55%.

Thanks.

• kkovalikkovali Member Posts: 2

I did the deal. The numbers I provided are incorrect though.

It's actually $30,093 negotiated.

$3k down, $364 per month 36mo 12k/yr lease.

• cambiamentocambiamento Member Posts: 2

Hi kyfdx,

Can you please let me know the current MF and residual for a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and if you can a 2013 for GTI w/ conv. (I've seen these $2K below MSRP) - The lease would be for 36mo, 12K/yr. San Diego CA

@cambiamento said:
    Hi kyfdx,

Can you please let me know the current MF and residual for a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and if you can a 2013 for GTI w/ conv. (I've seen these $2K below MSRP) - The lease would be for 36mo, 12K/yr. San Diego CA

.00028 MF and 55% residual for 36mo, 12K/yr. - 2014

.00161 MF and 49% on the 2013 model...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• iron502iron502 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014

Hi,

I need some advice please. I'm looking to lease a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and I am 2 payments away from turning in my 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX lease. Btw, I'm in Los Angeles.

Now for the bad news. I'm 12,000 over my mileage allowance at .15c/mile. Obviously it was a bad time to lease it because I got transferred to a different office where I had to commute, which is why I went over. I'm not commuting anymore and would run about 9,000 miles/year now and I'm able to write off some of the payments for my business.

After doing research on my lease, I figured out I paid way too much and now have a better idea about leasing. But I'm still trying to figure out the best way to approach turning in/trading my Accord for the GTI because of the mileage overage and looking at a $1,800 bill from Honda Financial. Not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@iron502 said:
    Hi,

I need some advice please. I'm looking to lease a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and I am 2 payments away from turning in my 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX lease. Btw, I'm in Los Angeles.

Now for the bad news. I'm 12,000 over my mileage allowance at .15c/mile. Obviously it was a bad time to lease it because I got transferred to a different office where I had to commute, which is why I went over. I'm not commuting anymore and would run about 9,000 miles/year now and I'm able to write off some of the payments for my business.

After doing research on my lease, I figured out I paid way too much and now have a better idea about leasing. But I'm still trying to figure out the best way to approach turning in/trading my Accord for the GTI because of the mileage overage and looking at a $1,800 bill from Honda Financial. Not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have a CarMax near you, ask them for a quote to buy your car. If their offer is closer than $1800 to your payoff, sell them the car, and you are out cheaper than turning it in... Otherwise, just bite the bullet and pay the mileage charges at turn-in.

This really has nothing to do with leasing another vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• throbthrob Member Posts: 4

Checking on the current deal I have sitting...
    2014 GTI Driver's Ed
    MSRP : 32,382
    Sales price : 29,173
    Res : 53% (15k miles/year)
    mf : .00028
    Drive off : $417.50
    Monthly : $417.50 (incl tax)
    Thanks for any help/info.

@throb said:
    Checking on the current deal I have sitting...
    2014 GTI Driver's Ed
    MSRP : 32,382
    Sales price : 29,173
    Res : 53% (15k miles/year)
    mf : .00028
    Drive off : $417.50
    Monthly : $417.50 (incl tax)
    Thanks for any help/info.

That's the correct money factor and residual.. Since your drive off is the same as the 1st payment, it looks like you rolled everything into the lease payment (acq.fee, tax, etc.). Do you know what your net CAP cost and your tax rate?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sales tax is 9% and for the cap cost I am not sure as I am sure it will be more than the 29173 since the fees are tacked on top of that.

@throb said:
    Sales tax is 9% and for the cap cost I am not sure as I am sure it will be more than the 29173 since the fees are tacked on top of that.

Then, pre-tax payment is about $383/mo. With just the selling price, I get $346/mo. That leaves about $1300 for acq.fee, title/registration, etc.. If that sounds about right for where you live, it looks like a good deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    Then, pre-tax payment is about $383/mo. With just the selling price, I get $346/mo. That leaves about $1300 for acq.fee, title/registration, etc.. If that sounds about right for where you live, it looks like a good deal.

That sounds about right.
    I have had a few dealers (4!) tell me on the phone they can't match the deal and one even told me he'd buy the car himself at that price. After that, I started to figure I was basically at the bottom.

It would be interesting to know the leasing formulas so I could have a spreadsheet that did all the math so I could bid appropriately.

I am sure none of that info is available since it would give too much edge to the consumer.

Rob

@throb said:
    Rob

The calculation is actually pretty easy.. Here is a post that explains it, pretty well.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/12602/general/x/how-to-calculate-monthly-lease-payments

My ten-year old built my first spreadsheet to calculate payments, so it can't be that hard.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• paul_mccpaul_mcc Member Posts: 8

Hi, had a couple of questions I'd appreciate help with.

First, I did the lease calculation using the dealer provided price/residual/MF, and the dealers monthly payments came in $17 a month higher than mine. Dealer said it was because of additional "fees" associated with leasing and that most people like myself don't know how to really calculate a lease. Is this normal? Any fees I'm not accounting for beyond depreciation and cost of lending?

Also, dealer seems pretty set on a .00099 MF. My credit shouldn't be an issue, and this seems high based on what others around here are getting. Is this a pretty bad rate?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

@paul_mcc said:
    Hi, had a couple of questions I'd appreciate help with.

First, I did the lease calculation using the dealer provided price/residual/MF, and the dealers monthly payments came in $17 a month higher than mine. Dealer said it was because of additional "fees" associated with leasing and that most people like myself don't know how to really calculate a lease. Is this normal? Any fees I'm not accounting for beyond depreciation and cost of lending?

Also, dealer seems pretty set on a .00099 MF. My credit shouldn't be an issue, and this seems high based on what others around here are getting. Is this a pretty bad rate?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

The acquisition fee is $625. The base money factor for a 36 month lease is .00027. They can mark up the MF by as much as .00125 for extra profit, or they can add .00062, to waive the acquisition fee. (which you don't want to do.. cheaper to add the fee).

The lease calculation is really simple math, if they give you all the numbers... Ask the dealer for the NET CAP cost. If it's different than the "dealer provided price", then ask them what makes up the difference. Then, ask them if they are marking up the money factor for extra profit, as you know the base rate is .00027 for 36 months. that rate markup adds about $900 to your total cost, so it's not trivial.

The fact is: Most dealers don't know how to calculate a lease, they only know how to punch the numbers into a computer. You don't need a degree in applied mathematics to calculate a lease. Mutiplication, addition, subtraction and division is all it takes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If you post your numbers here, we'll do a calculation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for your help and the quick response. The numbers they gave me are:

Sale price: 23988
    MF: .00099
    Residual: 14730.90

My payment calculation came out to be $295, while they quoted $312 (owing to the "fees").

Thanks,
    Paul

@paul_mcc said:
    Thanks for your help and the quick response. The numbers they gave me are:

Sale price: 23988
    MF: .00099
    Residual: 14730.90

My payment calculation came out to be $295, while they quoted $312 (owing to the "fees").

Thanks,
    Paul

Do you have the MSRP? Can't calculate a lease without it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sorry about that. MSRP = $27015.00 (including destination of $820)

@paul_mcc said:
    Sorry about that. MSRP = $27015.00 (including destination of $820)

Then, your calculations are correct.. $295.. But, the acquisition fee could make that up.. Please refer to my answer above... you need answers from this dealer, as to why you aren't getting .00027 for the money factor... This is a 36 month lease, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, it's for a 36 month, 10,000 mile lease. They have now agreed to give me .00027 after my inquiry. They did not however provide me the net capitol cost, only the final negotiated cost, despite my inquiry. I'm going to be following up, as they are now quoting a lease of $299 per month + tax, which obviously doesn't add up. Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciate it.

Got the Adjusted capitalized cost. This is what I was told (I'm potentially trading in my GTI 5 months early to get one of the last German ones):
    _
    The ADJ Cap Cost is $25,178.10

Your total Payoff for $16,100.98

Approx trade in value $15k to $15.5 ( were using $15,500 based on all examples so far)

Forgot to mention this to you. Hope this help with your calculations_

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,076

@paul_mcc said:
    Got the Adjusted capitalized cost. This is what I was told (I'm potentially trading in my GTI 5 months early to get one of the last German ones):
    _
    The ADJ Cap Cost is $25,178.10

Your total Payoff for $16,100.98

Approx trade in value $15k to $15.5 ( were using $15,500 based on all examples so far)

Forgot to mention this to you. Hope this help with your calculations_

Ah - this helps. They are rolling in the negative equity from your current car into the cap cost. Using a 55% residual and a .00027 MF I get a pre-tax payment of $297.47. This splits the difference between your calcs and the dealers.

One other thing - what state is this? Tax for leases is calculated differently in Illinois, Texas and Maryland.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I'm in CA, so fortunately not as complicated. Thanks again, you guys have been super helpful.

@paul_mcc said:
    I'm in CA, so fortunately not as complicated. Thanks again, you guys have been super helpful.

Please come back and let us know how you did. And, I'm a bit jealous as I've test driven a GTI but it was a bit out of my budget when I was ready to lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Final deal was for a 3 year, 30,000 mile lease.

$290 per month, $315 with tax. 0 down, $750 out the door (first month, title/license etc).

@paul_mcc said:
    Final deal was for a 3 year, 30,000 mile lease.

$290 per month, $315 with tax. 0 down, $750 out the door (first month, title/license etc).

Excellent! What color, how many doors, and - most importantly - manual or DSG?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Charcoal grey, 4 door (Wolfsburg Edition only comes in 4). Sadly, DSG. My last GTI was a manual, but could only get this price on one with DSG. That being said, it's still pretty awesome.

• jeremyp1jeremyp1 Member Posts: 3

Black, 4 door (Wolfsburg Edition)
    $750 (first payment + DMV Fee)
    $340 (36mo/15k, including tax)

(mf: 0.00027, residual value: 52%)

But I think 15k/year is too much, going to change it to 12k/year
    so the price should be
    $740 + $325

• ze_autobahnze_autobahn Member Posts: 72

Hi kyfdx,

Looking to pick up a 2014 GTI before the end of the month.
    Looking to lease as they have a promotion going on right now.
    First time leasing so I have been reading everything here on the forum to educate myself.

Can you provide me with the money factor and residual on a 2014 Wolfsburg edition DSG for a 36 month 10k and 12k mile lease? Also two salespeople have told me VWoA sends out a letter in your last year of the lease to allow you to purchase additional miles to avoid paying a penalty at the end of the lease. Is this something that can be verified? I don't want to buy any more miles than I need.

Also any way of finding out what options might add to the lease?
    I found a car online advertised for $23,500 and it has optional HID lights.
    Seems like a really good price so I'm hoping they don't try to charge additional for the lights.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ron

@ze_autobahn said:
    Hi kyfdx,

Looking to pick up a 2014 GTI before the end of the month.
    Looking to lease as they have a promotion going on right now.
    First time leasing so I have been reading everything here on the forum to educate myself.

Can you provide me with the money factor and residual on a 2014 Wolfsburg edition DSG for a 36 month 10k and 12k mile lease? Also two salespeople have told me VWoA sends out a letter in your last year of the lease to allow you to purchase additional miles to avoid paying a penalty at the end of the lease. Is this something that can be verified? I don't want to buy any more miles than I need.

Also any way of finding out what options might add to the lease?
    I found a car online advertised for $23,500 and it has optional HID lights.
    Seems like a really good price so I'm hoping they don't try to charge additional for the lights.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ron

.00027 MF and 54% for 36mo/12K. Add 1% for 10K miles per year.

Cannot comment on the 'buy more miles before you lease expires' promotion - never heard of it.

Lease payments are based on the MSRP (with all options), negotiated selling price, MF and residual value.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thanks Michaell!

Heading up there this afternoon.
    Hopefully I can make this deal work.
    I feel much better armed with this info, so thank you very much for the quick response!

Ron

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

A reporter would like to speak to a recent car buyer/shopper who delayed purchasing their car because of the cold weather. If inclement weather prevented you from buying a new or used car earlier this year, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, 4/29/14 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

So the deal that looked too good to be true was not to be. They tried to bait and switch us into another car (said the car we made an appointment to see just sold ten minutes before we got there), wouldn't honor the sales price on the internet (the sale price is for purchase only, not lease) and I left without getting a car. Going to another dealer tomorrow hopefully they have their act together.

They said they also have a new 2013 GTI Wolfsburg DSG.
    Any idea on money factor and residual on a year old but still new model?
    They should be really motivated to move these right?

@ze_autobahn said:
    So the deal that looked too good to be true was not to be. They tried to bait and switch us into another car (said the car we made an appointment to see just sold ten minutes before we got there), wouldn't honor the sales price on the internet (the sale price is for purchase only, not lease) and I left without getting a car. Going to another dealer tomorrow hopefully they have their act together.

They said they also have a new 2013 GTI Wolfsburg DSG.
    Any idea on money factor and residual on a year old but still new model?
    They should be really motivated to move these right?

Sorry to hear about your experience yesterday ... but it happens.

Yes, VW does have lease numbers for 2013 MY. MF is .00159 and residual is 46% for 15K miles. Add 2% for 12K and 3% for 10k

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

So I ended up getting a 2014 Candy White GTI DSG Wolfsburg edition yesterday. Using the money factor (.00027) and residual information I got here I was able to get a 36 month/36k mile lease for $2k out the door (which covered 4.9% taxes, acquisition fee and first month payment) with a $257 monthly payment including taxes. Came with Monster mats and cargo area protector/cargo blocks option. I wanted the Laguna 18" wheels so the dealership swapped them from another car. I also negotiated the "dealer fees" down to $50 from $499. I was trying to hit $250 a month so I got pretty close. Overall not a bad purchase experience thanks to the info from this forum!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I'm sort of tire kicking a Sportswagen and wondered about the optional Monster mats - are they like those heavy rubber WeatherTech ones?

Congrats on the new ride - love the white. Feel free to post some pics over in Reader's Rides.

@ze_autobahn said:
    So I ended up getting a 2014 Candy White GTI DSG Wolfsburg edition yesterday. Using the money factor (.00027) and residual information I got here I was able to get a 36 month/36k mile lease for $2k out the door (which covered 4.9% taxes, acquisition fee and first month payment) with a $257 monthly payment including taxes. Came with Monster mats and cargo area protector/cargo blocks option. I wanted the Laguna 18" wheels so the dealership swapped them from another car. I also negotiated the "dealer fees" down to $50 from $499. I was trying to hit $250 a month so I got pretty close. Overall not a bad purchase experience thanks to the info from this forum!

Wow.. that's a great deal! Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@Stever-yes the Monster mats are the heavy duty all weather mats. These are a actually a little more cushy than the ones in my Audi. I like them because you can get in the car with snow on your feet and it doesn't soak into the mat like it would with carpet. I also prefer the monster mats to the weather tech ones 'case they have a cool GTI logo on them ;-) The factory package also included the cargo cover which is great to have if you haul stuff like mulch or a Christmas tree. You can just pull it out and shake the dirt out so it doesn't get ground into the short pile carpeting. I wasn't planning to get them from the dealer but they were included with the car.

I have a lease that is up in October... considering a nice cheap GTI lease. A lot of bang for the buck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• shakeel3shakeel3 Member Posts: 8

Kyfdx - do you have numbers on a 27 month lease @ 10K/year?

@shakeel3 said:
    Kyfdx - do you have numbers on a 27 month lease @ 10K/year?

.00027 and 59%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• platopodplatopod Member Posts: 18
    What are the numbers for 36 month/ 36k, Wolfsburg w/DSG. What can I seriously offer? Dealer wants 26k, MSRP is 27.3k. I'd like to get closer to 24k is this possible? I'm in the New England area.

Also, saw a dealer with a 0down $236 a month with 36month/30k deal. Possible? Real?
    null
    What are the numbers for 36 month/ 36k, Wolfsburg w/DSG. What can I seriously offer? Dealer wants 26k, MSRP is 27.3k. I'd like to get closer to 24k is this possible? I'm in the New England area.

Also, saw a dealer with a 0down $236 a month with 36month/30k deal. Possible? Real?

@platopod said:

.00027 MF and 53% residual. $500 lease cash.

I've been crunching the numbers on the GTI, because I have a lease that is up in 5 months, and I'm hoping that the deals will get better, as the 2015 is showing up in a few months... But, I don't see you getting anywhere close to $24K. Most dealers quote $900-$1100 off MSRP.

I also can't see that 0 down, $236/mo. Somewhere around $300-$325, I think..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2014

I got a dealer offering 1700 off MSRP, but the thing is the GTI residual almost makes it not worth because it's so low. I need to pull the trigger on a new car May 25th and I don't think the 15' GTI will be out by then. Dilemma.

Hey can you give the money factor and residual for a Wolfsburg w/DSG for 36month, 15k miles ?

@platopod said:
    Hey can you give the money factor and residual for a Wolfsburg w/DSG for 36month, 15k miles ?

All GTIs have the same program. .00027 MF and 51% residual, with $500 lease cash.

It's more important to get the right car, at the best price you can, than to just go for the cheapest lease deal. A cheap lease on a car that you don't want, will seem to last forever.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nateonatornateonator Member Posts: 2

Is the money factor dependent on credit score?

This discussion has been closed.