Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires only lasting 15,000 - 20,000 miles before needing to be replaced! Land Rover Range Rover. HELP

bbk4bbk4 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in Land Rover

Need advise on what to do... I live in Michigan and yet the tires are not recommended to be driven in the snow?? They make no mention of it and now I need to replace them at least twice during my 3 year lease?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

If.. and this is a big if... they offer tires in that size in all-seasons, then I'd buy those... If your vehicle actually has summer tires, how did you manage to get around this past winter?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

If you told us the brand and model of tire you are using, maybe we could shed light on the early wearing out. For some types of tires, that's all you get--20K--and on some types of cars, even less.

• bbk4bbk4 Member Posts: 3

They are the tires that came on my Range Rover Sport... The are high performance tires... They are what is sold with the car and handled great in the snow. My problem is the manual says they are not recommended for snow (which causes the to wear quicker) yet they sell them without saying a word that they shouldn't be used in the snow... in MICHIGAN! It makes Land Rover a hell of a lot more money with me having to pay an extra $1800 two times during my lease. If this is so common, then why wouldn't that be included in the "pitch" when selling the car... they let you know you will have to pay for one maintenance during the lease and that is a fraction of what the tires are going to cost!

• bbk4bbk4 Member Posts: 3

One more question... if i put tires on that are not high performance tires will the Range Rover ride much differently? I can get 50,000 miles with those.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

Is this vehicle AWD? All AWD vehicles tend to be hard on tires compared to front -or- rear wheel drive. It comes with the territory.

It might actually "ride" a bit smoother (more flex in the sidewalls, higher profile perhaps) but it won't go around corners nearly as well. Performance tires are meant for pretty aggressive drivers, and for mostly dry pavement--you know, sticky tires. You give up longevity for grip.

• capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907

There seems to be some contradictions in the narrative:

High performance tires CAN be All Season or Summer. I looked up - as best I could - what tires were on the RR Sport, and they were a mix of Summer and All Season. I think we need to find out EXACTLY what tires we are discussing.

Also, the manual may be talking about the Summer tires, and your vehicle has the All Season tires - PLUS - many vehicles are sold with summer tires and those aren't usually identified for the consumer. You have to be very careful to pick up some of the subtlety in the way things are worded - and even then, my experience is that owners manuals aren't the most accurate and up-to-date of documents.

And it is pretty common for advertising and sales folks to leave out certain facts. It's not always nefarious. Sometimes it's just not the most important of things in the discussion.

And lastly, driving in snowy conditions actually helps tire wear - that is, there is less wear in winter than in summer.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

I'm also thinking the car probably has high performance all-seasons. If it had summer tires, you wouldn't be reading about it in the manual, after the fact. You would have known on the first snowy day, even with AWD.

I'm also not surprised that type of tire would wear out within 20K miles on a 5000 lb. vehicle. You might be able to put a "milder" all-season tire on the vehicle, but you'll have to watch out for load factors and speed ratings. And, even if they last through the lease, they may not be suitable for lease return, if they don't match the OEM specs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well I asked for the tire type but didn't get a reply yet, so yeah, it's all speculative at this point.

• tireshocktireshock Member Posts: 1

I have been told by my Lexus dealer that my tires on my 2012 Lexus IS250C need to be replaced after 15,000 miles! Is it possible that these $350 tires could wear out that fast?

Sure it's possible, depending on driving styles, or if the car is in proper alignment, correct tire pressures, excessively hot climates with certain types of tread, etc.

To make any kind of intelligent response it would be good to know HOW the tires wore--that is, what is the wear pattern.

Here are some guidelines on How to Read Unusual Tire Wear:

http://blog.leasetrader.com/archive/2010/03/17/HOW-TO-READ-YOUR-TIRE-WEAR.aspx

• capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907

Tire Shock,

Some tires are designed for good wear - and some tires are designed for good grip - and those 2 properties are in opposition - and those 2 properties aren't necessarily related to how much the tire costs.

But there is another property in this mix: Fuel economy (from a tire's perspective, that would be rolling resistance.)

So Lexus has decided to go for some combination of rolling resistance and grip that results in tires that don't wear well. You may think that is a poor choice, but the decision was Lexus's to make, and at least they are warning you about it.

And again, price has no relationship with wear.